Headpieces and outfits, a plea

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Natsu.2589

Natsu.2589

Hello Arenanet!

Lateley you’re creating really beautiful outfits. For example, I consider the new noble count outfit to be a masterpiece. However, what really bothers me for a while now, is the fact, that I can’t display my own headpiece (the one from my main armor) on these outfits.

I’m a role player and my character constantly wears this acolyte mask to hide her face. Now, when I choose an outfit, this isn’t possible anymore. So, basically I can’t use outfits most of my RP time, which is a lot of time I spend in the game.

I’ve heard from a friend of mine, that she propably won’t buy the noble count thing (and other outftis), just because her character couldn’t wear the reading glasses when using it. These glasses are important for the immersion, concerning the character she plays. It really rips her out of the immersion, when the reading glasses are missing. Same goes for me.

So here is my plea. Please let us choose which headpiece we want to have displayed on our characters, whenever they wear an outfit. You already had this option, before the new wardrobe system was implemented. Please, at least bring back our headpieces.

Posted by: medohgeuh.4650

medohgeuh.4650

This, so much this. I’d wear the ancestral outfit much more often if I could keep my character’s reading glasses on.

Surely this has to be as simple as setting outfits like the ancestral and count to not hide the head slot…

edit: if possible, headgear + lich would be nice, too, though I’m doubtful on this one.

(edited by medohgeuh.4650)

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I use the mask of the wanderer, which is meant to look like a burn/scar on my sylvari, that she got during the battle of Lions Arch.
It being a scar and all means it should not really go away just because she puts on a different outift… I don’t roleplay much, but this would still mean a lot to me.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I’m going to agree with you guys but with a twist – there are costumes out there who have great head armor design but the rest of it isn’t so awesome.

So would it be possible to just keep the head piece from the costume and wear the rest of our armor?

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Llarrian.9074

Llarrian.9074

I, too, wholeheartedly agree. Please let my count wear his glasses when he’s partying with the society in his tres chic garb. We wouldn’t want too much champagne splatter over countless Countesses dresses just because HE looks awesome, but simply can’t see kitten because “someone” took away his glasses…

And again: Please give us the option to mix&match AND the town clothes back. So what if there’s clipping? We didn’t mind then, we won’t mind now. If you don’t want to make the effort of designing the clothes clippingless, then let us make the effort ourselves to find combinations without clipping. We are doing it for years and years in other games.

P.S.: Try saying “countless Countesses dresses” 10 times in a row…!

Posted by: Doll Mistress.9267

Doll Mistress.9267

I have only bought one costume, and although I like the new one very much, I probably will not buy it for a few reasons. I like to be able to switch out individual pieces, not look exactly like everyone else...and more importantly, I don’t like being forced to spend money to buy gems. (I have bought many in the past when I didn’t feel forced).

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Noble outfit without the ability to wear the monocle = pointless…

… Although it would have been sweet to be able to use the top hat for a gagician’s outfit with it, and the jubilee masks with both male and female versions of the outfit.

And yeah, some characters need their glasses, eyepatch, bindi, mask of the night etc. To go with the rest of their clothes.

Posted by: Vix.6730

Vix.6730

I have only bought one costume, and although I like the new one very much, I probably will not buy it for a few reasons. I like to be able to switch out individual pieces, not look exactly like everyone else…and more importantly, I don’t like being forced to spend money to buy gems. (I have bought many in the past when I didn’t feel forced).

That just answered a question I’ve had lingering, thank you. Looks like I’m not buying this one either. It’s really a shame Anet cannot give the players what they want, even on the smallest of scales like releasing a single skin. This bring the total to 5 outfits I cannot/will not buy because they cannot be mixed and matched with other skins.

To give posters some clarity, Anet released the Zodiac skin which IMO was a bold change. I purchased this one was able to mix and match freely. The skin has a complex design with animation, and is mixable. The decision to make the outfits limited in appearance is by choice.

With every recent outfit release there has been negative forum feedback surrounding them, yet Anet continues to release these limited outfits.

Posted by: RollingBob.8502

RollingBob.8502

Especially since there are so many gemstore masks and head items that are really more geared to the RPers, as a non-RPer I wholeheartedly support this.

Throw them a bone Anet. They are a valued part of the community even for those of us who don’t play that way.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It does seem a small step from show/hide helm to mix/match helm. (As asked before, also, why not show/hide outfit gloves and shoulders?). Perhaps as an interim, those outfits that don’t have integrated helms such as Noble Count could use the armor helm when Show Helm is selected?

I only have one alt with a must-wear headpiece, my warrior who lost her eye to friendly fire in LA, and she won’t wear dresses anyway. But the ragged Cook’s would work for her if the eyepatch could show.

But so many of the outfits would only be enhanced if any helm could be used with them. Is it a dye field issue? When the outfit’s on we just have the 4 dyes selected, and maybe it’s a coding issue to use the armor helm dyes separately from that.

Posted by: Arikyali.5804

Arikyali.5804

I never bought outfits because of the lack of customization. If we could at least get headpieces, this would be awesome (but I assume coding would be an issue)

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Just have the outfits without their own helms (this one and ancestral) use your actual headgear.

To give posters some clarity, Anet released the Zodiac skin which IMO was a bold change. I purchased this one was able to mix and match freely. The skin has a complex design with animation, and is mixable. The decision to make the outfits limited in appearance is by choice.

Zodiac was also three sets that had to be purchased seperately. If they made these outfits into regular armor, they’d each have to be locked to a single armor class or they’d sell all 3 versions as seperate sets due to the work required to make them compatible with armor weights.

(edited by Hyper Cutter.9376)

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

I have no personal stake in this but I’m always for more options.

Posted by: ShibakiBarrows.2458

ShibakiBarrows.2458

I’d love to wear my inventor’s sunglasses with the Noble Count outfit! This is a wonderful plan!

(edited by ShibakiBarrows.2458)

Posted by: Thayet.1647

Thayet.1647

I couldn’t find anything on this so I’m digging out this thread.

Now that the earmuffs are finally back (something I’ve been waiting for since I started playing in March 2013) I can’t wear them with the Fancy winter outfit. :< Same probably goes for the Festive hat. It would be great to wear these pieces at the same time.

Just have the outfits without their own helms (this one and ancestral) use your actual headgear.

That doesn’t work, unfortunately, otherwise this thread wouldn’t exist. At least it’s not working for me.

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Actually when I first read the feature pack I thought it said that outfits would replace armor except headpieces and all outfit headpieces would become universal helms that could be worn on all armor.

That’s how it should be.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Since several longer threads about this were moved into the archive… here’s why we need this:

• Venetian costume ball:
    Noble count outfit (m/f) with mask of the night or regal masks
  • Fancypants:
    Noble count outfit (m/f) with monocle,
    noble count outfit (f) with fascinator
  • Steampunk:
    Noble count outfit (m/f) with inventor’s goggles,
    Noble count outfit (m) with aviator hat
  • Magician:
    Noble count tux (m) with top hat
  • Santa:
    Fancy winter outfit (m/f) with santa hat
  • It’s cold outside:
    Fancy winter outfit (m/f) with ear muffs
  • Actual pirate:
    Pirate outfit (m/f) with Magus’ eyepatch,
    Pirate outfit (m/f) with charr bandana
  • Pirate Captain:
    Noble count outfit (m) (isn’t it just the gift that keeps on giving??) with pirate hat, or Magus’ eyepatch
  • Satyr:
    Raiment of the Lich outfit (m) with devil horns
  • Ninja:
    Assassin outfit (m/f) with headband,
    Assassin outfit (m/f) with hood
  • Thing from your nightmare:
    Executioner outfit with phantom hood

Any character at all with glasses. Something something bunny ears. C’mon.

(And don’t get me started on town clothes / hat combinations)

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Totally agree with OP. I really wish we could change out the headpiece at least for our armor piece. I understand the reasoning for keeping the rest of the set together, but that doesn’t really work for head pieces.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

For those who like the outfit head piece, I can see a bit of a complication. They’d have to make the hat a separate skin, so people could use the set hat as desired, and that might be more work than it sounds like.

Because I don’t see a smooth way to toggle three ways: outfit hat, armor hat, and bare head.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

YOU GIVE US A SANTA OUTFIT
BUT DONT LET US USE THE TRUE SANTA HAT WITH IT!!!

WHY!

pls let use show our real headpieces^^

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Yeah, I would really like to use my fuzzy cat hat with my shoulder scarf and wintersday outfit. They would go together so well. :c

Posted by: Ricky Da Man.5064

Ricky Da Man.5064

Yeah agree 100%, im in no way into RP but I bought the noble outfit and then the top hat item, I had not bought any outfits or clothing items from the gemstore before and was disgusted I had wasted all those gems tbh..

I considered pushing for a refund but meh prob too much effort.

Posted by: Udolpho.1209

Udolpho.1209

I agree, so many times. Nobel outfit but can’t wear either of the two top hats (there are many other examples)? My Sylvari necro wears Demon Mask as part of their face. Glasses, scars, eye patches, tattoos, etc all beg for it.

Here’s an idea: Disassociate head gear from outfits — NO outfits contain headgear. When you buy an outfit, you get two things: An outfit that doesn’t have headgear, and a head gear skin like any other armor skin. Or add the headgear skin to achievements and make it infinitely apply-able, then make an achievement where you collect the hats you get with outfit purchases. Or just add a button to the headgear option that turns off the outfit headgear but shows the armor headgear. So many options…

Posted by: Jinx.1095

Jinx.1095

Just got the Count Outfit and Inventor’s Sunglasses, and can’t wear both!!!… rito pls!

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

The game really needs this. My thief is supposed to be blind in one eye and always wears an eyepatch because of it. I can’t RP using any outfits with the way things currently work. Also, it would be cool if we could hide shoulders from the outfits too as a lot of those are really bulky and ruin it for some people.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: glehmann.9586

glehmann.9586

I love everything about the mad scientist outfit except for the helmet. Currently I just hide it, but it would be fantastic to be able to display reading glasses or one of the medium monocle pieces instead.

Posted by: KittyCat.2059

KittyCat.2059

We used to be able to mix match outfit armor with different headpieces. I’ve bought many items because of this. ANet later changed it so we couldn’t any longer which was sad. I don’t know why they restricted us but it seems silly considering that this game is largely part Fashion Wars.

Attachments:

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

All they’d have to do is make hide helm separate from outfit hide helm, right? In the outfit check box, add check boxes per item. This would make for some interesting customization. Check boxes for everything head to toe. Then using the usual equipment check boxes would only effect gear.

I am slightly annoyed that when I make a new character I can’t take the helm off because I don’t have a helm on. I know there’s a simple fix (get a helm) but the way it works is just silly.

Posted by: iMagiNation.9107

iMagiNation.9107

I purchased the Imperial Outfit and the Dragon’s Mask, but apparently I cannot wear them together. It’s very disappointing and a waste of money because only one can be worn. It would tie in with the Mini Mystical Dragon too. Instead, maybe I might have bought a different outfit or something else.

Posted by: Rodzynald.5897

Rodzynald.5897

I wish we could mix certain headgear items that would look rather normal like a helmet and glowing eyes mask.
Wouldn’t it look awesome to have a blue/red/green glow coming out of your headpiece ?

Guardian is meant for jolly crusading.

Posted by: iMagiNation.9107

iMagiNation.9107

The Dragon’s Mask also does not work with the Royal Guard Outfit that veteran players got.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

I’ve had this thought many times when putting on outfits, in whole-hearted agreement here.