Hi, yes, I want to complete obsidian sanctum

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fox Reeveheart.1890

Fox Reeveheart.1890

I am trying to get all the kites, but obviously i need obsidian sanctum for kites and achievements.

but it’s filled with nothing but people of the opposite team that literally just stand at crucial points, waiting to troll you, they do it for NO OTHER REASON.

So just exactly what am I supposed to do? There is no checkpoints in the puzzle, you can be 5 feet from the very end, ganged up, cc’d, killed, then woops too bad looks like you have to start all the way at the beginning

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Field a team of people. It’s really the only way to do it.

And farming kills is not really no reason.

There are also places in the game where you can pick up invisibility from the environment that can help you get through..but the best way to do it is still to get a group of 10 people or so to go with you.

Fox Reeveheart.1890

A jumping puzzle is man vs environment (with occasional man vs ai enemy)
throwing a Jumping Puzzle and making it a pvp area is one of the stupidest ideas I ever seen implemented. Infact it’s ANTI-fun.

If you’re on a low populated server, the only possible way you can get this done is to go with a massive zerg of people and make sure everyone gets to each spot at the same time.

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Probably i was farming you lol

Vayne.8563

It’s anti fun if you don’t like it. It’s my favorite jumping puzzle in the game. We do this with my guild, usually takes about ten people. If you can’t get ten people together on your server, don’t do it. It’s not required.

But saying only PvE people deserve jumping puzzles, so putting them in PvP is not fun because it’s not fun to you isn’t great. Dungeons aren’t that much fun to me, but I acknowledge there are people that like it.

The dungeon wasn’t designed with mobs…it was designed with traps that one side could use against the other. In other words it was designed to PvP in. And for those who like that, it’s certainly fun.

It’s anti-fun to you because you’re not a PvPer. The answer here is simple. If you don’t enjoy PvPing, don’t do the puzzle, because you really don’t have to. It’s a choice.

I did it several times this week, just to help out guildies, even on days when I already had gotten the chest. Every time I beat it it was a rush, moreso than any other jumping puzzle in the game.

Edit: You need a bunch of mesmers in that group….so you can portal people up as they fall. That’s what we do.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

throwing a Jumping Puzzle and making it a pvp area

It’s a jumping puzzle tossed into a PvP area, not the other way around. Traps and chokepoints exist because this JP was designed for PvP.

Fox Reeveheart.1890

It’s anti fun if you don’t like it. It’s my favorite jumping puzzle in the game. We do this with my guild, usually takes about ten people. If you can’t get ten people together on your server, don’t do it. It’s not required.

But saying only PvE people deserve jumping puzzles, so putting them in PvP is not fun because it’s not fun to you isn’t great. Dungeons aren’t that much fun to me, but I acknowledge there are people that like it.

The dungeon wasn’t designed with mobs…it was designed with traps that one side could use against the other. In other words it was designed to PvP in. And for those who like that, it’s certainly fun.

It’s anti-fun to you because you’re not a PvPer. The answer here is simple. If you don’t enjoy PvPing, don’t do the puzzle, because you really don’t have to. It’s a choice.

I did it several times this week, just to help out guildies, even on days when I already had gotten the chest. Every time I beat it it was a rush, moreso than any other jumping puzzle in the game.

Edit: You need a bunch of mesmers in that group….so you can portal people up as they fall. That’s what we do.

but it’s required for zephyrum sanctum kite achivement, which is a mainly PvE/living story achievement, not PVP

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

As a PvE player, I enjoy Obsidian Sanctum. I especially like it when people attack me because it gives me reason to kill them. Otherwise, I leave people alone. :D

I also run solo.

Lucius.2140

Its just their urge to get all the achievments… and an unbeliveable capacity to dont understand that something they dont like can be worthy to exist lol.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

throwing a Jumping Puzzle and making it a pvp area is one of the stupidest ideas I ever seen implemented. Infact it’s ANTI-fun.

Given how different people find different things fun, you can’t really say it’s not fun. Just not fun for you.

Also, how is it a stupid idea?

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

but it’s required for zephyrum sanctum kite achivement

Yes. Now you judge whether the effort required to put in is worth the ~30 or so achievement points which will have a minimal impact on your gameplay.

If you truly think it’s worth it, then put some effort into it. There’s a bunch of hints scattered around the forums. Read it up and give it your best.

Posted by: Stego.3148

Stego.3148

Achievements are just that, you want them all than you go earn it. Man up, son.

Discovered the one and only ecto nerf to date. Endured verbal abuse and infractions to prove it:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Changes-to-ecto-salvage-from-rares/first

Fox Reeveheart.1890

Given how different people find different things fun, you can’t really say it’s not fun. Just not fun for you.

Also, how is it a stupid idea?

because it’s anti-fun for the person that just wants to get the JP done for the sake of getting the JP done, like me and tons of other people. It’s anti-fun when you’re the low-populated server (compared to other servers) and you see that there is 1-2 other people MAYBE from your own server in the JP as well, you try to help them but get killed in the process because people literally sit there for HOURS just to BS you.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I don’t think too many people (any?) are saying WvW shouldn’t get Jumping Puzzles. The complaint, I believe, is that PvE content is being tied to WvW Jumping Puzzles.

For someone who has never done the OS JP before, getting through is a difficult enough task. For them to do it with dozens of other players trying to kill them is virtually impossible. By asking PvE players who would have otherwise never set foot in WvW to enter this jumping puzzle to complete PvE content, Anet is essentially leading lambs to slaughter.

“You don’t need it to get the meta achievement,” I hear you say. “Get some people to help you,” I hear you say. Both of those are fair enough responses, but they don’t answer the question of why Anet feels it necessary to tie PvE content to WvW jumping puzzles.

Lucius.2140

btw, i was really farming in that jumping puzle, im in Sorrow Furnance, was just at the exit of the dark room. You can go stealthy for like 5 min and go up, no need to fight lol, or organizate a counter group…

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

because it’s anti-fun for the person that just wants to get the JP done for the sake of getting the JP done, like me and tons of other people. It’s anti-fun when you’re the low-populated server (compared to other servers) and you see that there is 1-2 other people MAYBE from your own server in the JP as well, you try to help them but get killed in the process because people literally sit there for HOURS just to BS you.

So basically they should make the kites easy to get?

Because there are many people who find JP, Fractals and other content unfun.

At the end of it, you got to decide whether the hassle is worth it. That goes for any content.

Here’s some help though:

And another:

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

(edited by TheDaiBish.9735)

Fox Reeveheart.1890

So basically they should make the kites easy to get?

Because there are many people who find JP, Fractals and other content unfun.

At the end of it, you got to decide whether the hassle is worth it. That goes for any content.

Here’s some help though:

And another:

the kites are by no means easy to get

griffonrook was a nightmare

I done obsidian sanctum before, even without many fights it took 3 and a half hours

Posted by: Reikou.7068

Reikou.7068

What are you supposed to do?

Oh, I suppose kill them?

Oh the woes of being bad at pvp.

Reikou/Reira/Iroha/Sengiku/Rinoka/Kuruse/Sakuho/Kinae/Yuzusa/Kikurin/Otoha/Hasue/Mioko
https://www.youtube.com/AilesDeLumiere
http://www.twitch.tv/ailesdelumiere

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Kite Meta Achievement is worth 15 points, plus 5 each for the 7 kites, for a total of 50.

People who prefer PvE only can get 30 points. People who prefer WvW only can get 5.

Come back with data to show how disadvantaged the PvE only players are, if you can.

Vayne.8563

but it’s required for zephyrum sanctum kite achivement, which is a mainly PvE/living story achievement, not PVP

Why is the living story ONLY PvE achievements. You can comfortably get your meta event from that. In fact, there are many PvP living world achievements and have been all along. The achievements in Sanctum Sprint? PvP. More obviously the Dragon Ball arena….PvP. You’re just assuming because it’s living story it’s only PvE but that hasn’t really be true for a long time. Not since the Crab Toss game.

This is a PvP achievement associated with the living story. You see it as a PvE achievement because you’re a PvE’er.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They do it because the tears of PvE players taste so good.

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

the kites are by no means easy to get

griffonrook was a nightmare

Griffonrook is not so bad if you don’t even try to carry the bomb to blow open the chest at the end. Just doing the jumps and killing the griffons makes for one of the easier JPs.

Now doing it properly, with the bomb.. that’s terrifying.

But back on the topic at hand.. by my reckoning, there are 23 Bazaar achievements that count towards the meta, and you have to do 16 of them. If you can’t get “World vs. Kite”, you don’t have to.

If you don’t find it enjoyable to attempt a PvP jumping puzzle – then just don’t do it.

Esplen.3940

I remember doing Griffonrook. I cheated and ported myself to the end (wait what).

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

What are you supposed to do?

Oh, I suppose kill them?

Oh the woes of being bad at pvp.

When the opposing side has 5-10 players camped at a hard to reach choke point -like the top of the well- it doesn’t matter if you’re a god among PvP players. You will get mercilessly stomped. Bringing friends doesn’t help either, due to the nature of the obsidian sanctum choke points being brainlessly easy to defend while offering no counter play.

There are no alternate routes. There are no counter strategies. The only thing you can do is throw bodies at the front gate until someone gets through. This form of PvP is neither fun, nor engaging. If your server controls the well, or the arena, or any of the other choke points, you own the puzzle. And wrenching control of these points away from whoever controls them is nearly impossible.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

If you’re on a low populated server, the only possible way you can get this done is to go with a massive zerg of people and make sure everyone gets to each spot at the same time.

Your opinion is wrong. Obsidian Sanctum is possibly the most fun activity in the game. Second only to drinking the tears of the likes of you.

One – Piken Square

Esplen.3940

Get a Guardian. Provide AoE stability. Throw down Reflection Walls. Use Pulls. ??? Profit.

Quarktastic.1027

Get a Guardian. Provide AoE stability. Throw down Reflection Walls. Use Pulls. ??? Profit.

Now try doing that from the bottom of the well. It’s virtually impossible to target someone at the top, much less pull them over the side. Reflection and stability do help, but depending on the composition of classes at the top, you can expect to lose 60% or more of your force trying to reach a position where you can even hit the opposition.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Infact it’s ANTI-fun.

It’s funny how always the achievements/activities that are a little kittenallenging and actually require you to group up are not only anti-fun but ANTI-fun. Why do you guys keep using that as a strawman?
We got it you want easy and mindless content no reason to hide that behind the word “fun”

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Posted by: Gilburt.9146

Gilburt.9146

I only do the Obsidian Sanctum at the dead of night when the campers are sleeping and the puzzle is almost entirely empty.

Brother Gilburt – Guard / Agent Gilburt – Thief

Esplen.3940

Now try doing that from the bottom of the well. It’s virtually impossible to target someone at the top, much less pull them over the side. Reflection and stability do help, but depending on the composition of classes at the top, you can expect to lose 60% or more of your force trying to reach a position where you can even hit the opposition.

One guardian can grant 18s of stability without boon duration. This is provided in an AoE.

Quarktastic.1027

One guardian can grant 18s of stability without boon duration. This is provided in an AoE.

And everyone who wants that much stability has to stand in a very obvious circle. Which will no doubt get carpet bombed by AoE team at the top of the well.

There’s no two ways about it. The well grants an obvious and extreme advantage to whomever controls the top. I’ve seen a group outnumbered 3 to 1, successfully hold control over the well for over an hour.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Esplen.3940

And everyone who wants that much stability has to stand in a very obvious circle. Which will no doubt get carpet bombed by AoE team at the top of the well.

There’s no two ways about it. The well grants an obvious and extreme advantage to whomever controls the top. I’ve seen a group outnumbered 3 to 1, successfully hold control over the well for over an hour.

The whole point is you PREP before going into the fray. Don’t just stand there prepping in a spot you can get hit (and if you do choose to do that, do it with reflects like Shield of the Avenger, Summon D-Series Defensive Golem, Feedback, Wall of Reflection, Shield of Absorbtion, the list goes on.

Quarktastic.1027

The whole point is you PREP before going into the fray. Don’t just stand there prepping in a spot you can get hit (and if you do choose to do that, do it with reflects like Shield of the Avenger, Summon D-Series Defensive Golem, Feedback, Wall of Reflection, Shield of Absorbtion, the list goes on.

I get the feeling that you’ve never tried to retake the well from another server. It’s virtually impossible to target or attack players at the top unless you’re near the top yourself. Meanwhile, a player at the top has a clear view, and can throw their attacks nearly all the way to the bottom. And even if they can’t see you, they know the well is the only route you can take, so they will tirelessly cycle through their AoEs and hit anything that makes an attempt to climb the well.

The arena is a similar beast. You have a clear view of your opponents, but they have complete control. The control the cages, and they can keep you in combat, making it nearly impossible to reach them. You have to jump, they don’t. A lot of the jumps in the arena cannot be made in combat without swiftness, and if you get crippled or chilled in the middle of a jump, you get to start over.

These areas are prime locations for servers to troll each other. The server that controls these areas can attack without discretion; without fear of retaliation. This is not PvP, it’s a troll fest.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Korsbaek.9803

Korsbaek.9803

as long as you can use stealth to bypass that point its ok the hardest is the arena but given you can still have your stealth(you will have a nightmare in the darkroom into you learn it perfectly) and do that stealthed to so stealth from the start to end is possible with the exeption of getting to the first stealth

Commander Korsbaek lvl 80 Guardian
Ayano Yagami lvl 80 ele

Quarktastic.1027

as long as you can use stealth to bypass that point its ok the hardest is the arena but given you can still have your stealth(you will have a nightmare in the darkroom into you learn it perfectly) and do that stealthed to so stealth from the start to end is possible with the exeption of getting to the first stealth

The problem is, that players will AoE the well regardless of whether they see anyone coming or not. Soon as you get hit by an AoE, you lose any advantage that stealth gave you.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Esplen.3940

I play a Mesmsr, so I pull people. I don’t need to see them to pull them. I have pulled them since BWE2, from both the Arena and the Well.

Quarktastic.1027

I play a Mesmsr, so I pull people. I don’t need to see them to pull them. I have pulled them since BWE2, from both the Arena and the Well.

You still need to see the spot where you plan to place your curtain. Kind of difficult to do while wading through AoE from 5+ players.

-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Well i’m one of those “If it’s red, it’s dead” folks, unless someone use those specific emotes that grants safe passage (at least from me). – “bow” and “wave”. It’s more fun sending opponents off the ledges than killing them. Just saying

It’s a JP meant for player versus player interaction. As many have said, bring more friends.

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Tom Gore.4035

It’s more fun sending opponents off the ledges than killing them. Just saying

Why choose? Push them off a high enough ledge and collect loot.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: Talissa Chan.7208

Talissa Chan.7208

Its been gone over and over again but at the end of the day anet just want to annoy a lot of us. I love wvw, i love the thrill of flipping camps solo and taking down yaks and other ninja actions but when its pve time, its pve time. i love spending time mapping the world and trying to get the achieves, especially now with the chests. currently we’re facing sor and blackgate and the sanctums camped 24/7. do the guildies care? sure, but we’d need an army of 20+ to fight through there at the moment. Anet you’re idiots. if you’re going to do pve achievements then leave pvp areas out of its just infuriating. Players keep complaining and you just keep ignoring em but that tends to come back and bite you in the kitten . fix it. Leave pvp to pvp players and pve events to pve areas.

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Gotta love how it’s called an achievement and the OP is upset that he has to actually do some achieving to get it.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

throwing a Jumping Puzzle and making it a pvp area

It’s a jumping puzzle tossed into a PvP area, not the other way around. Traps and chokepoints exist because this JP was designed for PvP.

And they happen to be a bad PvP design. Imagine, if all the access to the Stonemist would be through something similar to the Arena. It could never be assaulted, unless the defenders went to sleep.
The singular chokepoints between JP parts are okay. Multiple approaches to the next part of the puzzle, with the paths easier to traverse being also easier to block, are also ok. Single path, hard to traverse and trivial to block is a bad design.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Acidicore.3264

Acidicore.3264

It was a pain, but after going there so many times in the past to craft Meteorlogicus, I taught myself specific choke points and locating the fountains to give myself the edge. It’s a total pain, no doubt, but it’s doable.

Posted by: TooNu.4530

TooNu.4530

- Go to bed early, like 8 pm. Wake up refreshed at 4 am. Log on, go to the sanctum where it should be a bit quieter.

- Whatever character you use, make sure and take revive orbs. If you die at least you don’t have to run all the way back.

- You could make a real effort to get a group of people and fire them up to do the sanctum. If a large-ish group of you go, it should be possible.

There was a guy who bought his commander tags and spent his time leading zergs in WvW. He could be counted on to get a large group of people together to take towers and what not, people recognised his name and he was pretty fun to zerg about with. One day he suggested we go to the sanctum. The entire zerg ran in, cleaned up and everybody completed it. Shame you can not perform such things..oh wait.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

One day he suggested we go to the sanctum. The entire zerg ran in, cleaned up and everybody completed it. Shame you can not perform such things..oh wait.

Yes, this is definitely possible… if noone is defending at the arena. If it’s actively defended by more than 2-3 people, it becomes a deathtrap even for big zergs.
After all, it’s entirely possible that your story might have looked a bit differently:
“One day he suggested we go to the sanctum. The entire zerg ran in, cleaned up everything in it’s path up to the arena entrance, and then spent 2 hours trying to force their way up against 5 enemies. After most of the zerg gave up, the rest decided to go as well.”
And the difference between those two versions? Completely not dependent on the skill of the people trying to force their way past JP, and beyond their ability to control.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

My server didn’t hold the top

I got to the kite in 2 tries, only dying once

took about 20 minutes

L2P people…..srsly…..this isn’t Skyrim or something..

Tom Gore.4035

- Whatever character you use, make sure and take revive orbs. If you die at least you don’t have to run all the way back.

Revive orbs don’t work in WvW.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

Gotta love how it’s called an achievement and the OP is upset that he has to actually do some achieving to get it.

How is dodging silly kids because they have nothing better to do than troll people, an achievement?

But…love you as I do ANet…..I am not happy about putting what is a PvE achievement in a place like Obsidian Sanctum. I like JP’s, I like WvW, but I don’t like that fact a Bazaar achievement was put into a WvW JP. I think it was unnecessary to be honest.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the weekly OS complaint. Anet has really some class, after all the Sky Pirate complaints putting a LS reward in there yet again. Classify it all as you like, it is an achievement in a pvp zone, getting to a chest with pvp rewards. It is pvp. Unfortunate you cannot boost your AP easily, tough luck. The LS meta achievement offers ways to complete for a broad range of playstyles. Is it unfair camping chokepoints? Of cause. Welcome to pvp zones.

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

the weekly OS complaint. Anet has really some class, after all the Sky Pirate complaints putting a LS reward in there yet again. Classify it all as you like, it is an achievement in a pvp zone, getting to a chest with pvp rewards. It is pvp. Unfortunate you cannot boost your AP easily, tough luck. The LS meta achievement offers ways to complete for a broad range of playstyles. Is it unfair camping chokepoints? Of cause. Welcome to pvp zones.

Fortunately not everyone thinks like you….a bit of human kindness goes along way. Just because it’s a PvP zone, doesn’t mean people have to forget basic decency. Someone from an opposing server actually helped me find my way near the end of the JP, and for that, I /bow to them.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~