How Do you Feel About Multiple Guilds?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Anari.2137

Anari.2137

Are you For it? Why do you like it?
Are you against it? Why do you dislike it?

My Personal Position:

Guilds are an extremely (if not the most) important aspect of an MMO (Of any kind), but specially of an MMORPG.

It’s my belief as a designer, that a guild is the “heart” of the game. The Blood are the people that play it, and the nutrients are the Objectives and goals along the way.

When i first saw this system i was curious about it, I was hoping it would work out in a positive manner, but what i have experienced is negative aspects from it and no real benefit other then players “using” guilds to get something.

For this reason, I am strongly against it because it robs guilds of identity; it seems very spam-ish like many aspects of guild war two (you dev’s really need to do some quality control on these designs).

I believe the best multi-guild/clan/corporation/etc Option out there was presented by CCP’s Eve online “alliance”, where multiple guilds (with potentially different focus’s) banded together for community effort. Often this lread to people using one VOIP Program like Teamspeak, Ventrilo Etc to form a sort of Mega-guild.

I have really not seen any major problems from this system out side of the normal (drama) behavior that people have which is already present in the game(s) of late.

So I advocate for a system change to this aspect of GW2 to improve it, or remove it so we can give guilds back their identities, and help the community come together in its respective groups, with their respective goals and form friends.

the real thing that provides retention rates (are guilds with identities, and purpose).

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

So you’re saying guilds should band together to form… a PACT?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I don’t particularly care for the multi-guild system we have in GW2, but I know others who love it. Personally I rather liked the guild and alliance system of GW1.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I’m for it. It allows for specialty guilds to exist.

Guilds can only have 500 people in them. By allowing for multiple guilds, a player can choose to join a small guild that only focuses on one aspect of the game. But still be able to join another guild for a different aspect of the game.

A great guild will be able to get and retain the best members no matter how specialized or how general it is. And no matter how many other guilds its members are a part of.

A great guild would deal with those leechers. The one who only asks for help but is never able to give help to other guild members may soon find themselves in a situation where no one in the guild wants to help him anymore. Because he doesn’t help them.

A guild just looking to keep its numbers up because there’s nothing special about it wouldn’t. And that’s why there’s nothing special about it.

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

I have 2 guilds I’m in just for the name and memories, and 2 main guilds. 1 is my main pve/pvp/wvw guild, the other is a specialty pve guild.

The current system lets me talk with both guilds. It’s even better now that the guild bank is cross server (remember when it was per server) and you can see the guild chat of guilds you aren’t currently repping. That makes this system even better.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I feel like the OP doesn’t go into enough detail about what why/how being restricted to one guild improves the game. Most of it just says how important guilds are, and I’m confused by how it robs guilds of identity, while promoting spam-y behavior.

I almost wonder if the opposite is true, since with multiple guilds you can join several very narrow guilds with strong identities (roleplayers, WvW, raids, offline friends, etc.) without having to pick whichever one can give you the most benefit, i.e., the one with the biggest guild hall.

You might not identify as strongly with one guild, since you’re not required to commit to one hyper-focused guild or one general purpose guild, but at least you’re not pushed to decide to be one type of player exclusively.

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

More guilds please. At least there is not as much of the 100% rep stuff now but if you have one guild for some content and another for another … 5 is way too little.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

OP is simply referring to that the multi guild system while giving much freedom to players, it is destructive to what makes a guild a guild in MMORPGs. He then further share his experience that he seeing many people joining guild just to get something out of it (materialistically) and not otherwise. Therefore, the guild in guild wars 2 is pretty plain. Well, pretty much how wvwers see server and megaserver. Also, how some wvwer consider people who left server as act of betrayal.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Anari.2137

Guilds can only have 500 people in them. By allowing for multiple guilds, a player can choose to join a small guild that only focuses on one aspect of the game. But still be able to join another guild for a different aspect of the game.

A great guild will be able to get and retain the best members no matter how specialized or how general it is. And no matter how many other guilds its members are a part of.

A great guild would deal with those leechers. The one who only asks for help but is never able to give help to other guild members may soon find themselves in a situation where no one in the guild wants to help him anymore. Because he doesn’t help them.

A guild just looking to keep its numbers up because there’s nothing special about it wouldn’t. And that’s why there’s nothing special about it.

You have some Good points, Guilds could manage the issues themselves, but the problem is not guild management its player mentality.

Lets take my guild for example,

We were created on the bases of “Hardcore PvP”. I have asked over 200 people to get on teamspeak when pvping, and none of them do it. I ask them to flag when in guild groups, None of them doing.

So the only think the seem to be using guilds for is LFG system, not actually guild.
I believe fully this will cause hte decline fo the game (i have no doubt about it actually).

Anari.2137

Something like that.
So it would ultimately be the same, but the chats of 5 guilds would be merged into “Alliance chat”

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

You have some Good points, Guilds could manage the issues themselves, but the problem is not guild management its player mentality.

We were created on the bases of “Hardcore PvP”. I have asked over 200 people to get on teamspeak when pvping, and none of them do it. I ask them to flag when in guild groups, None of them doing.

So the only think the seem to be using guilds for is LFG system, not actually guild.
I believe fully this will cause hte decline fo the game (i have no doubt about it actually).

Sounds like a problem with guild management to me, not the multiguild system. If they’re not meeting the requirements of the guild, why are they in it?

Without multi-guild, I don’t think specialized guilds like “Hardcore PvP” would be all that effective, especially since guilds are account-wide. Even hardcore PvPers may feel like doing other content that is best with a specialized guild that isn’t yours.

Seera.5916

Sounds like a problem with guild management to me, not the multiguild system. If they’re not meeting the requirements of the guild, why are they in it?

Without multi-guild, I don’t think specialized guilds like “Hardcore PvP” would be all that effective, especially since guilds are account-wide. Even hardcore PvPers may feel like doing other content that is best with a specialized guild that isn’t yours.

^^This. If those are the rules and requirements of the guild, to be on Teamspeak when PvP’ing and to tag up when in guild groups and they are not doing it, why aren’t they punished by being either demoted in ranks or kicked out of the guild?

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Something like that.
So it would ultimately be the same, but the chats of 5 guilds would be merged into “Alliance chat”

So who gets to be the … Alliance Commander?

On a serious note, the chats of multiple guilds are already displayed together in the chat window, depending on which guilds you have active. How does that differ from your concept of merged alliance chat?

Seera.5916

Something like that.

On a serious note, the chats of multiple guilds are already displayed together in the chat window, depending on which guilds you have active. How does that differ from your concept of merged alliance chat?

The player can’t choose which guilds get shown in their guild chat window.

The guild leaders do. So the guy in the specialized guild for hardcore PvP that only PvP’s gets to see the chat from the PvE guild that’s allied with the hardcore PvP guild he’s a part of even though he has no interest in that guild at all and is not even remotely interested in being a member of that guild.

Currently, he does not have to see the guild chat of other guilds which he has no interest in joining.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

Definitely in favor of it (edit: ‘it’ being multiple guilds). If anything I think 5 is too few. If you’re limited to 1 guild then it becomes an absolute must to separate them between characters. As it is, if you wish to focus you’re entire efforts with one guild, you have the option to do so. Trying to force others to do the same is silly and wouldn’t work anyway – with different characters they’d join different guilds and they’d still divide their efforts.

(edited by Glacial.9516)

Anari.2137

I am the leader of a 3000 player multi-gaming clan, on top of the other things i do.
believe me is not me. I kicked 100 people( about 99% Of the guild) to restart with more strict positions to resolve the issue… And guess what? Same thing.

That means its the players attitude, not me. The guilds are highly undervalued, and i’d it will absolutely cause the downfall of this game.

Anari.2137

Definitely in favor of it. If anything I think 5 is too few. If you’re limited to 1 guild then it becomes an absolute must to separate them between characters. As it is, if you wish to focus you’re entire efforts with one guild, you have the option to do so. Trying to force others to do the same is silly and wouldn’t work anyway – with different characters they’d join different guilds and they’d still divide their efforts.

Its very easy to stop that (a rule im getting close to putting in our guild)
If you un-represent and are caught = gkick

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I’m okay with it, unfortunately the game does a poor job of supporting it in a meaningful manner.

There’s numerous QoL things they could do to the roster alone that would be nice, like showing the guild currently being repped by non-repping members, streamlining cross guild chat (right now its kinda funky, links are still an issue), allowing users to re-order their guilds, an accurate last online date as opposed to unknown or over x year(s).

Then there’s actual features they could do, like Alliances (something somehow missing that gw1 had). A mail all members function to alert them to events etc…(because some people just ignore MoTD). I’m sure there’s more things that can be done as well.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Definitely in favor of it. If anything I think 5 is too few. If you’re limited to 1 guild then it becomes an absolute must to separate them between characters. As it is, if you wish to focus you’re entire efforts with one guild, you have the option to do so. Trying to force others to do the same is silly and wouldn’t work anyway – with different characters they’d join different guilds and they’d still divide their efforts.

Yes, because your guild totally does everything in the game. Maybe they stop repping your guild outside of pvp because you DONT do stuff outside of pvp? I wish you would put that “rule” in place. I bet your guild would fall apart pretty quickly.

Anari.2137

Yes, because your guild totally does everything in the game. Maybe they stop repping your guild outside of pvp because you DONT do stuff outside of pvp? I wish you would put that “rule” in place. I bet your guild would fall apart pretty quickly.

our guild is pvp only. We confirmed this three times with people before inviting them. This really shows its not us its the player base.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Generally speaking, guild wars 2 players base is majority casual. Some of them may tell you they are hardcore, but they have no idea what it means to be hardcore. Some of them may tell you they are committed to do something but in reality, they do not mean it. Some of them think they are awesome but is just their ego talking. Etc. Etc. Etc.

I can say plenty of people join a guild out of convenience, to do boss, to do raid, to do wvw, to do pvp, to do guild missions. However, if you are looking for people that will actually help to build your guild up, I can tell you that it won’t be easy to find.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Redenaz.8631

Redenaz.8631

I’m hearing both “It’s not the way our guild runs, it’s how the players treat guilds in this game” and “It’s going to kill the game.”

Could it be guilds in this game aren’t exactly the same as they are in some other games, and could that be okay? Guild features got a big spike with HoT, and the multi-guild situation didn’t kill the game in the years prior to HoT.

Maybe the service you’re offering isn’t the service people want, when you’re blaming the playerbase for a lack of guild success. (By whatever measure of “success” you want to go with.)

~The Storyteller – Elementalist – Jade Quarry~

Anari.2137

I’m hearing both “It’s not the way our guild runs, it’s how the players treat guilds in this game” and “It’s going to kill the game.”

Could it be guilds in this game aren’t exactly the same as they are in some other games, and could that be okay? Guild features got a big spike with HoT, and the multi-guild situation didn’t kill the game in the years prior to HoT.

Maybe the service you’re offering isn’t the service people want, when you’re blaming the playerbase for a lack of guild success. (By whatever measure of “success” you want to go with.)

It could be that a new guild syste is not only ok, but good. For example in my up coming MMORTS, we are designing massive new upgrades (innovations) to the guild system.

We are allowing guilds to collect “parts” (like spores but higher poly models) and design their own races. We are also allowing them to modify technology (i guess you can say abilities) and pattern it so that the guilds have unique concepts for pvp tactics that is isolated from others in their area. We are also giving guilds unique styles of governments that have unique bonus’s, and models of leadership (like the guild feature to have a democratic guild vote every 6 months for its leader and them being promoted if they accept the role after the role).

All these things are more are valid and good and im sure there is other examples out there for these things. What is not Good is a system that devalues the purpose of guilds to the point that the guilds lose their identity and reason to exist. Here’s Why…

Guilds Serve as the sort of “family” of a society, or the “heart of a body”. They produce a purpose to live, or the reason you live. If the family is taken out of society, you lose procreation, or at the very lease break down the morale fiber of a society to a point of self destruction. Likewise if you remove the heart from a body, the body dies.

Guilds are the essence of a game, and the blood, or people are the driving force for its existence; However, People need guilds to progress, like the blood needs the heart to progress through the body. With out it the body dies, and subsequently the blood (mutual survival).

Thus, if you devalue a guild to the point of people not needing it you will end up invalidating the reason for the heart to exist, or the guild and and once the blood stops bringing nutrients to the heart, the heart and body dies.

So, you cannot invalidate a guilds purpose (community progression), or you will kill the game.

The symptoms of this can be seen when you start to see guilds not talk to each other, or very rarely. Out cries about the games content being boring is a great sign guilds are the cause of the problem. Why? Because we are a social species. We would clear 1000 instances if it means good laughs and good times, but we would hate to do it once if such things did not exist.

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Something like that.

The player can’t choose which guilds get shown in their guild chat window.

The guild leaders do. So the guy in the specialized guild for hardcore PvP that only PvP’s gets to see the chat from the PvE guild that’s allied with the hardcore PvP guild he’s a part of even though he has no interest in that guild at all and is not even remotely interested in being a member of that guild.

Currently, he does not have to see the guild chat of other guilds which he has no interest in joining.

I’m not sure what you’re saying. That long sentence needs a little punctuation. It sounds like you’re advocating forcing players to see the chat of guilds … they are not interested in…? That doesn’t sound very appealing and a little draconian. But maybe I haven’t understood you.

Anari.2137

I’m lazy on forums when it comes to grammar etc. Bleh, old habits die hard.

Basically what i am saying is that multiple guilds (at the same time) kill the “purpose” of guilds.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Sure in other games, you’d make a new character, join a different guild, and your guild wouldn’t know, because you’re not automatically even on a friend’s list with an account, just a character.

I belonged to multiple guilds in Rift and no one even knew. All I had to do was change characters.

Most MMOs allow you to be in multiple guilds anyway. The difference is, here it’s out in the open.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t see any benefit to restricting guilds. In games that only allow one guild at a time (e.g. GW1), people aren’t going to be more loyal — they just feel stuck to a guild that only serves some of their needs. In a game with so many types of content, it’s going to be really hard to satisfy a large portion of the population.

Guilds have to adapt to the format. Some guilds are going to design themselves to be large and cover everything, truly PvX. Smaller guilds need to focus on their niche.

Put another way, if a guild can’t survive members being in multiple guilds, it needs to evolve in some way. Maybe change how it recruits, maybe change what it does during the week, maybe change the leadership.
——————————————-

This is a bit like the conversation about whether it’s okay to demand near 100% participation. When there’s a good reason, it’s a good policy (but there aren’t a lot of good reasons).

I don’t think multiple guilds kill the “purpose” of guilds — I think guilds manage to kill the purpose of guilds all on their own.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

I’m lazy on forums when it comes to grammar etc. Bleh, old habits die hard.

Basically what i am saying is that multiple guilds (at the same time) kill the “purpose” of guilds.

Define “purpose of guilds”, please.

To me, the purpose of guilds is to band together with a bunch of people I like to play with, be around with, share common goals and playstyles with.

As such, I have my main guild (of which I am one of the leaders) with 50-80 casual members, many of which have become real life friends, that do all kinds of content in this game. We’ve got our guild hall built to level 62 by now and enjoy it very much as a place for meeting and fooling around as much as for the convenience.

I have a secondary guild, a bit smaller, again with many friends. They’ve got a different language as well as a different focus (more dungeon/fractal/raid oriented than general everything).

I have a family guild with my daughters. The kids love the fact that we have our private chat channel even if one is in a wvw squad while the other is fooling around the SAB, and we make good use of our guild bank for sharing and storing stuff. We don’t have a guild hall, but that’s fine for us.

I have a friends guild with some of my closest friends. Again it’s convenient to see which of that circle are online (friends lists tend to be too chaotic to see that at a quick glance), to have a private chat channel even if one is in wvw, another pugging a fractal, and a third doing Dragon’s Stand meta, and to occasionally band together and do some small guild missions just for fun.

These are four different communities, with four different purposes. Alliance chat wouldn’t help me any, since the communities don’t mesh. Some don’t even speak the same language and wouldn’t be able to communicate.

I love that GW2 gives me the option to be a part of multiple communities and groups of friends. It doesn’t take anything from me being loyal to those communities. In other games, I’d have to spread my characters across different guilds (and lose access to guild chat whenever I switched character) or I’d be forced to choose between communities and friends, which to me is more anti-social than anything.

If your guild can’t keep people loyal, have you considered that it may be you rather than the playerbase after all? Maybe this game just isn’t suited for the kind of guild you’re trying to build?

Calling for a removal of one of the main social systems of this game just because you can’t manage to surround yourself with the kind of people you are hoping for does seem pretty short-sighted, if not selfish, to me. Other guilds thrive just fine in this system.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Heart of an MMORPG? Can’t say I agree in any way with this. It is a social aspect of the game certainly. Not required for me to enjoy myself and actually can take away enjoyment when the guild gets too clingy.
If you can’t draw and retain people maybe it is not the game that is the issue. Guilds are a lot of work and I appreciate it when they are done right but very few people can do it right in my opinion.

Posted by: reikken.4961

reikken.4961

I have a main guild and a raid guild
multiple guild system is great

I mean, people are members of multiple organizations in real life. Different ones do different things

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I like it, I’m in 3 PvP guilds all with different active play times, also in a WvW guild and a guild with a troll name I use for solo roaming WvW.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Bbear.7830

Bbear.7830

I’m in favor of multiple Guilds overall…the central idea of the game being ‘play how you like’ suits my casual but committed style , which is due to IRL commitments that limit my online gametime quite a bit.

While I tend to stick with a single ‘Main’ Guild, made up of PvE’s, WvWer’s and PvPer’s, I also enjoy helping new or struggling Guilds get started or restructure/organize. I have co-lead one of the largest Guilds on the Henge of Denravi sever, pre megaserver, co-lead a small ‘friends’ Guild, ‘guested’ with three or four new Guilds to get them started/organized and also guested with a mid-range Guild to help them level their Guild Hall (the last two in a non-leader role just to help out).

I’m a vet player in terms of time/gear, but have built my characters slowly over time and have limited experience in many areas of the game that don’t attract me or fit my casual schedule. The flexibility of cross Guild membership allows me to do all of the above without difficulty and still keep in touch with my close friends in and out of game.

Overall I like the changes introduced with HoT, but still kind of miss the ‘old’ original guild structures – in particular the personal storage guilds that made life so much easier for new players and those simply looking for small core groups to play with or run particular ‘projects’ with. As an example of ‘personal projects’ I ran a small semi-role-play guild on the premise of a mining company recruiting refugees from Lions Arch during Scarlet’s War, hiring and paying players to mine copper ore in Queensdale daily – with the prospect of advancing ranks to become ‘stockholders’ and share the quarterly profits. Was fun and I met some interesting people who latter joined one of my ‘real’ guilds – just a little expensive in terms of those dang salaries (paid in T2 gemstones before the prices made it uneconomic), was also taking up time collecting all those ‘free’ copper tool bags from Deamongrub Pits to equip the miners LOL

Bottom Line: Multi-Guilds add diversity and act as a ‘social mixer’ for meeting folks you would maybe never otherwise meet and get to know. Plus for those new to Guilds they are a great way to learn the do’s and don’ts of how to lead a Guild and learn how to respect members.

My 10c worth, apologies for the length of the response, hope the contribution helps.

Fire, Ice, Storm…Heart of, Cold as, the Breeze that comes before.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Are you For it? Why do you like it?
Are you against it? Why do you dislike it?

My Personal Position:

Guilds are an extremely (if not the most) important aspect of an MMO (Of any kind), but specially of an MMORPG.

It’s my belief as a designer, that a guild is the “heart” of the game. The Blood are the people that play it, and the nutrients are the Objectives and goals along the way.

When i first saw this system i was curious about it, I was hoping it would work out in a positive manner, but what i have experienced is negative aspects from it and no real benefit other then players “using” guilds to get something.

For this reason, I am strongly against it because it robs guilds of identity; it seems very spam-ish like many aspects of guild war two (you dev’s really need to do some quality control on these designs).

I believe the best multi-guild/clan/corporation/etc Option out there was presented by CCP’s Eve online “alliance”, where multiple guilds (with potentially different focus’s) banded together for community effort. Often this lread to people using one VOIP Program like Teamspeak, Ventrilo Etc to form a sort of Mega-guild.

I have really not seen any major problems from this system out side of the normal (drama) behavior that people have which is already present in the game(s) of late.

So I advocate for a system change to this aspect of GW2 to improve it, or remove it so we can give guilds back their identities, and help the community come together in its respective groups, with their respective goals and form friends.

the real thing that provides retention rates (are guilds with identities, and purpose).

Ever since gw2 launched, I’ve hated the 5-guild system they introduced. This kind of system does not foster loyalty or a healthy guild community, but rather, creates animosity and resentment, particularly since u can see members on ur roster that are in ur guild but never bother to represent it, or interact with the guild members.

This system makes the guild leader’s job almost impossible if they want to have a cohesive and friendly guild membership. Some may think repping is not important anymore since influence has been removed, but imo it’s just as important as ever to keep the guild together, where people actually get to know each other and want to do things together, instead of this guild hopping garbage we have.

What most people do now, is they join 5 guilds and hop form one to another raiding their guild halls for nodes and buffs, but contribute little to the development of the guild itself. And if u say anything, they just leave and join another and keep going on their merry go round, while the guild leaders are left pulling their hair out.

What would fix this? Remove the 5 guild system all together and re-introduce the gw1 alliance system with proper alliance chat, not this crap /g1, /g2,/g3 etc chat that is so cumbersome to use with multiple guilds.

Or least they can do, is give us guild leaders option to filter out the members not representing the guild so they don’t show up on the roster. Out of sight out of mind.

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

IMO – the biggest flaw since release when it comes to Guilds! The Alliance system in GW1 was far better and created far less drama. The current system does nothing but splits ppl.

Kima & Co

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I mean, people are members of multiple organizations in real life. Different ones do different things

This is a solid point right here. I may have to revisit my view of ghe multiguild system in light of this insight. Thank you for pointing out something that I had overlooked.

I have to ask, OP, do you have every member of your extended family involved in everything you do in life? Do you invite your grandmother, that you love visiting with on sunday afternoons, along when you go out drinking with your buddies on friday nights? Do you invite your vulgar, hard partying, drinking buddies along for lunch with grandma?

Or do you, in real life, socialize seperately with different people. Essentially belonging to different groups, real life guilds if you like, according to the different interests of each group?

I belonged to, lead for a while, a full guild that was the lead guild in a full alliance of mostly full guilds in GW1. We had a multi-guild waiting list to join our alliance. Even within the 900+ membership of players with a broad interest in the game there were sub-groups who primarily played with their own members and rarely with members of other specific sub-groups within the overall alliance. The guilds and alliance were vibrant, engaging, active, and funfilled even so.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I don’t have time and attention span for more than one guild. :c

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

There’s one glaring flaw with alliances in an account-based guild system: Not everyone in a guild (or alliance) share the exact same interests. According to GW1 Wiki you can add up to 10 guilds into an alliance. That sounds good on paper, but why take the choice out of the player’s hands and put it into the guild’s or the alliance’s?

The current 5-guild system allows players to create their own ‘alliance’ of sorts with 5 guilds. If you want to be in just one guild, you can do that. If you want a PvP guild, an RP guild and a Raid guild, you can do that. If you want 5 RP guilds or 5 PvP guilds because they cater to different tastes or timezones, you can do that.

How exactly is an alliance with PvP, PvE, Raid and WvW guilds different from a PvX guild that plays in all aspects of the game (besides the obvious 500-player limit)? Why would a player who joined a strictly PvP guild suddenly choose to join a PvX alliance instead of a PvP one?

Guild hopping is one thing. I can understand being annoyed by that. Perhaps there could be a rank privilege (if there isn’t already) to gather resources from the guild hall, if it’s that big of an issue? I just don’t see how a player being in 2 or more guilds has to hurt either of them.

(edited by Glacial.9516)

Posted by: Chris McSwag.4683

Chris McSwag.4683

With the multi guild chat that came with hot, I absolutely love the multi guild system as it allows me to have access to all the parts I enjoy in the game without the need to abandon guilds with friends that don’t share the same interest or skill. Guilds in gw2 are often specialised in one aspect of the game, so I whole heartedly support multi guild system

My setup is:
Hardcore fracs, raids, dungeons
Casual pve, open world, mentoring
WvW
Small scale friend guild
Personal bank

[eS] Ethereal Synergy
DPS Benchmarks, Raids, Low-mans etc.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

How they’ve setup multiple guilds is pointless, its still one guild and another 4 you’ve joined but not actually taking any part off…

Posted by: Ellieanna.5027

Ellieanna.5027

How they’ve setup multiple guilds is pointless, its still one guild and another 4 you’ve joined but not actually taking any part off…

How so? The PvE guild I belong to I help people in chat, or invite them when I do free SAB runs. The WvW guild I belong to gets the same benefits, same invite options, same answers. One guild I wear the tag of, one I do not. When the PvE guild is doing events, I rep them and support them, when it’s WvW time, I rep and support.

How is that not taking part?

To the main topic: The biggest issue I can see from the OP is that it’s the “my way or no way” mentality. I can see that from the comments they have made about the system and how “my guild has this issue”. Just because it works in 1 game, doesn’t mean it will work in another.

Like this, if you have set PvP times, people have to know that is when they are required to rep the guild. You can’t just go “if you are in HotM, you have to rep the guild” and then the person is just solo queuing. The system works for many many guilds. And it’s been in the game for 3.5 years. They certainly aren’t going to change it.

I’m a Moose, a ginger moose even.

Posted by: zxstanyxz.8769

zxstanyxz.8769

5 guilds is not enough, i would love to see the limit raised by 2 – 3 personally.

as it stands I’m a member of 5 guilds, and had to leave an older guild that i didn’t want to leave to join the most recent one i joined.

• PVX Guild – my main guild
  • friends guild – mostly people i know IRL + a few from my main guild that have been willing to help us out with our guild hall
  • Server guild – WVW specific.
  • Raid Guild – had to leave a pve server guild to join this one
  • parody guild – guild created by someone from main guild that parodies the name of our main guild due to the constant mis-typing of our guild that became a running joke

is this too much? not imo, i would love to have been able to keep the pve server guild that i was in – even though it’s a lot less necessary since the megaserver change, there’s still a weekly event run by it that has been going for years now.

it all depends on how you want to play the game, OP if you want to belong to only one guild then by all means that’s your choice, I main one guild but have multiple others for other uses. the main guild doesn’t lose any “identity” from this.

Anari.2137

This is a solid point right here. I may have to revisit my view of ghe multiguild system in light of this insight. Thank you for pointing out something that I had overlooked.

I have to ask, OP, do you have every member of your extended family involved in everything you do in life? Do you invite your grandmother, that you love visiting with on sunday afternoons, along when you go out drinking with your buddies on friday nights? Do you invite your vulgar, hard partying, drinking buddies along for lunch with grandma?

Or do you, in real life, socialize seperately with different people. Essentially belonging to different groups, real life guilds if you like, according to the different interests of each group?

I belonged to, lead for a while, a full guild that was the lead guild in a full alliance of mostly full guilds in GW1. We had a multi-guild waiting list to join our alliance. Even within the 900+ membership of players with a broad interest in the game there were sub-groups who primarily played with their own members and rarely with members of other specific sub-groups within the overall alliance. The guilds and alliance were vibrant, engaging, active, and funfilled even so.

Actually its no because the organizations have purpose, and reason. You dont tell an organization you part of “hey, ill come do stuff when i feel like it”, especially if your a founder/ceo/xo, etc.

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

I totally tell organisations I’m a member of that I’ll come and do stuff when I feel like. Most organisations publish schedules of events and you can’t go to them all, often there’s a clash with something else or you just don’t feel like doing that event this year.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Saudi.5320

Saudi.5320

I’m part of 4 guilds and help fund the gh for each one in way or another. Sure, I use guilds like lfg sometimes, but I also taxi people into maps from guild. Also organize maps with guildies sometimes and do this with multiple guilds. Run guild missions, fractals, meta maps, etc. with multiple guilds. Sometimes I pug lfg also. Just depends.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Speak for yourself. At my peak participation, I was doing WvW with one guild, g-missions with another, Tequatl and special events with a third. It depends on the individual and the guild(s).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Saudi.5320

Also, guild halls are gold sinks but not as much as the new legendaries imo. but i digress.

Posted by: Etienne.3049

Etienne.3049

If anything we have too few guild slots, having multiple guild slots allows guilds to specialize without players being forced to choose a single type of content. Especially now that you can read guild chat of guilds you’re not representing.

Saudi.5320

Can we please get different colors for each guild in guild chat

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Guilds are not important in this game, this is not a guild based game, Guild are a grind system were player are tricked to farm for several GH, or a grind to use gimicks on WvW, priceless.

TS/vent and other tools are more important for the game than guilds are.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

./forumbugfix

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.