How Legendaries Should Have Been

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Time Glitch.2460

Time Glitch.2460

To put it simply: I never feel like I will ever accomplish a Legendary weapon.

I have 18 gold sitting in the bank. I have ONE cultural armor piece. I have maybe made a grand total of 50 gold on my character in my lifetime. This is because I simply don’t play that much, and when I do play, I’m actually playing the game… Not farming.

When I look into what it takes to get a Legendary (the last real “hurdle” of the game), it seems like it’s simply not designed for players like me in mind. I don’t want to go out and slam my head against the RNG wall for T6 mats and a Precursor. I don’t want to waste tons of money for the tiny chance at getting the absolutely absurd amount of Mystic Clovers required.

And it’s not because “it just takes a while”.

It’s because its completely random whether I’ll make progress or waste time and money.

I know that 50G isn’t much to some people, but for someone who isn’t running a champ zerg or spamming CoF paths… That’s a considerable chunk. And that won’t even scratch the surface of the massive RNG grind that is the process of getting Legendaries.

So what exactly is the solution?

Well, the solution is to give players hope. Even the small, poor, don’t-play-often players like myself. And to do that, you have to give players a very structured, set method of attaining a Legendary weapon. You must remove the random elements and say “You want a Legendary? Well here’s the long, arduous, incredibly time-consuming, but GUARANTEED way of getting it.”

And make sure players aren’t abusing a system to get it.

I don’t mean to provide an exact solution, but here’s a few thoughts on what I think would be a very good way of doing it.

First things first: Nothing is random. Everything you need for a Legendary can be gathered or done by your character with guaranteed results every time. No random drop requirements. No luck-of-the-draw.

So let’s look at this from the perspective of someone just starting out on their journey to a Legendary in this new system I’m proposing.

The first thing the player must do is truly become accomplished in the world of Tyria. Here are the first set of requirements:

- World Completion: 100% the world. (already in)
- Dungeon Master: All dungeons cleared, no wipe. There would now be a “Master” mode to all dungeon paths, resetting the dungeon if your group wiped. You would have to complete all of these for the Dungeon Master requirement.
- World Boss Completion: Must have participated and defeated all world bosses.
- Cleansing of Orr: Have cleared all Temples in Orr at some point, and be present in Orr when all temples are cleansed.
- Fractal Master: Achieve a high level in Fractals of the Mists. (Considering I have never participated in high-level fractals, it would be foolish of me to propose an arbitrary number. Something high, but not impossible. If that’s max level, then it’s max level)
- Master of Agility: Completed all Jump Puzzles.
- World Guardian: Completed a high number of WvW objectives and earned a high number of badges of honor.

That’s a list of very completable, very doable things in the world of Tyria that is difficult AND fits the title of “Legendary”. By completing all of the above tasks, you have proven to the world that you are a true hero, deserving of such a weapon.

But what about the weapon? What preparations can you make in the meantime? Well, there has to be something you can do to benefit from all these hours you’ll be spending in the open world. Basically, you can work on your weapon WHILE completing the above tasks.

So what goes into a weapon? Well, the first thing is basic materials. We already have a system in place similar to this, where you have to get 250 stacks of T6 mats, but I want something a little more interesting than that.

Basically, your Precursor will be built from “Pure” ingredients. To get these pure crafting materials, you simply have to gather a LOT of them together and combine them. Lore wise, you’d be refining ore until it’s absolutely perfect, which requires lots of ore to do. Or you’d be finding the perfect piece of wood. Things like that. Point is, you’ll have to gather a lot of T6 mats and combine them. And I mean a lot. Gathering resources is fairly easy, but again we want a guaranteed path here. Chances are, though, in completing the previous objectives, you will have acquired plenty of T6 mats and have been combining them for their “Pure” forms for a while now.

So, you have enough Pure materials, and you want to craft a precursor. Great, get to a crafting station and craft the components. Throw them into the Mystic Forge and you get a…

“Pure” weapon.

What? That’s not a Precursor!

(cont.)

Time Glitch.2460

What you now have is essentially a very basic, ordinary weapon, but it’s crafted with the finest possible ingredients. It’s like seeing a Toyota Prius made from 100% pure titanium. Now, you have to go and MAKE that weapon special!

This is the point where it gets interesting. I propose that each individual precursor have a set of requirements to turn a “Pure” weapon into a specific Precursor. As to what those are, to go into too much detail would be entirely pointless for a post like this. Point is, there would be specific tasks you have to complete WITH your Pure weapon to “level it up” to a point where it becomes a Precursor. The idea is that for a weapon to be truly Legendary, it must accomplish great feats alongside its hero. It must be an instrument of glorious destruction.

This could be anything from getting lots of achievements or better yet have unique challenges and trials that Anet has specifically designed for Legendary hopefuls. The idea would be that you’d have to USE this weapon and accomplish amazing things with it for it to become ready for the Legendary infusion process.

Once the Pure weapon has seen its days of glory, it will transform into a precursor of your choice (If your weapon type branches into multiple Legendaries). Now you are ready.

You have completed all the trials the world has given you. You and your weapon have truly seen all there is to see and do all there is to do. There is but one task left: To bind the gifts of accomplishment (the requirements) to your Precursor. And to do this, you need a pure source of energy: A Legendary Binding Agent.

In current Legendary requirements, there’s a need to sacrifice Skill Points for lodestones or other required purchasing. Well, to get a Legendary Binding Agent, you’ll need to sacrifice skill points as well. These are essentially “levels after 80”, and you’ll need a lot of them for the binding agent. Hopefully, through all the trials you’ve completed, you’ll have almost all of them that you need. Again, to assign a number without the proper data available would be silly. Basically, a little over what someone would naturally acquire through completing ALL of the prerequisites for the Legendary.

You have your gifts. You have your Precursor. You have your binding agent.

Combine them, and you have your Legendary.

Now, will this entire process make Legendaries more common? Depends on how it’s designed. If done right, it will truly make the player feel like they accomplished something, not just bought or slagged through a bunch of materials until they got what they needed.

And I think that’s probably the most important part we’re all missing here.

A time requirement for something like this should be largely irrelevant. What a Legendary should be about is truly doing all there is to do in the world, and coming out on top. You’ve perfected every dungeon. You’ve done VERY well in the Fractal of the Mists. You’ve contributed heavily to World vs World. You’ve gotten a LOT of achievements. You’ve completed the difficult trials to attain a Precursor.

You have done something that you can feel proud of, and feel like you’ve accomplished something great.

And for that, you get a token of your accomplishment.

That is what a Legendary should be.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: champ.7021

champ.7021

i didnt read the whole thing i just skipped to the part you said master of agility and decided this was a bad idea.

Time Glitch.2460

i didnt read the whole thing i just skipped to the part you said master of agility and decided this was a bad idea.

A shining example of an informed and well-reasoned response.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Legendaries were a poorly designed and executed concept. They would be alot better if they weren’t just rainbow-themed skins with a purple name.

EDIT: I propose we just call them “purples” instead of legendaries because there is nothing legendary about them.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

On one hand, I really like this idea.

On the other, I know enough about MMO players to know that this sort of thing would have simply led to more work for the developers and kitten ed off just as many people… merely of a different group.

There was so much complaining and whining about Atiesh and Thunderfury being so tedious and drawn out (for example) in vanilla WoW that Blizzard actually went to the complete OPPOSITE extreme and made some legendaries in Burning Crusade straight up drop from final raid bosses (like Illidan).

So I guess I can’t terribly FAULT Arena.net for their approach (as the Mystic Forge really at its core is an intended gold sink than anything), but I would have probably tweaked the balance to be precursors dropped more readily, but that the gathering elements been greater.

Posted by: Vindicated.3491

Vindicated.3491

Totally agree with this post.
In short, by just playing all the contents in this game does not make one legendary, grinding does. One must also be bloody lucky.

Would also like to add something.
Making use of all the tokens introduced in this game for legendary would also be a good idea. Eg. Pristine Fractal Relic or did ANET forgot this token existed?

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

In short, by just playing all the contents in this game does not make one legendary, grinding does. One must also be bloody lucky.

Making use of all the tokens introduced in this game for legendary would also be a good idea. Eg. Pristine Fractal Relic or did ANET forgot this token existed?

His solution is just as grindy as the current method. Only difference is, his method doesn’t let you choose where and how you want to grind.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Time Glitch.2460

His solution is just as grindy as the current method. Only difference is, his method doesn’t let you choose where and how you want to grind.

How is my solution grindy? At all?

It’s doing all the content in the game. And for mats, you can either do whatever you want and buy them or gather them yourself. Levels are the same: Do whatever you want.

How the heck did you get “grindy” from that?

Posted by: Seraph.6145

Seraph.6145

A perfect idea, Time Glitch! Obataining “Legendary” with your method would be so…rewarding. But first – they need “Legendaries” look truly legendary, coz they look like toys for little babies. You’ve got a rattle, a frakkin’ unicorn-bow, bubble-something pistol.. I mean, come on! It looks more than silly! Enemies would kill me with laugh If I’d charged them with a rattle or a unicorn-bow! “Twilight” is a good example on how a “Legendary” should look like, or “Prophecies of Flameseeker”, “The Predator”! That’s how it’s done! Oh, and if you make Legendaries, ANet, make sure you consider every weapon! Where is the Dagger?
I’m not gettin’ Legendary anyway though…not with current method! Waste of gold, nerves and time IMO! I laugh at players with Legendaries, srsly!

Posted by: Rym.1469

Rym.1469

If they introduce new legendaries, first of, they HAVE TO BE ACCOUNT BOUND. Seeing “legendaries” on TP makes me sick.
After all things mentioned above by OP, you’d get a PRECURSOR.
And from that, challange begins. Quest-type objectives, requiring you to defeat 1v1 enemies with difficulty at the level of Liadri and above (with not really AoE only mechanics, more advanced in mechanics, requiring you to change utilities/traits/weapons sometimes), quizes checking your knowledge on games’ lore, and finally, defeating hardcore version of DOPPELGANGER of yourself 1v1. This way, player could be really proud of his achieved weapon, meaning he’s actually good and put some effort in the game. After such long, hard challange he would know much more about the lore of weapon he wields and lore overall, because game would FORCE HIM to do it. To prevent google check – timer for answers and large question base.
After that, I’d accept adding some of legendaries bounded with GW lore – Scepter of Orr, Scythe of Reaper…

[rude]Antagonistka – Revenant, EU.
[SALT]Natchniony – Necromancer, EU.
Streams: http://www.twitch.tv/rym144

Posted by: Heinel.6548

Heinel.6548

Well, Master of Agility definitely will not work. The system is meant to be added upon, at unspecified time intervals. That was what was promised from the beginning, and follow through has since been observed.

“… but I hate the idea ‘It may not make sense at first’.
I want it to make sense right away, then another sense later. Murkiness =/= quality "
- CCP Abraxis

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

How is my solution grindy? At all?

It’s doing all the content in the game. And for mats, you can either do whatever you want and buy them or gather them yourself. Levels are the same: Do whatever you want.

How the heck did you get “grindy” from that?

- Dungeon Master: All dungeons cleared, no wipe. There would now be a “Master” mode to all dungeon paths, resetting the dungeon if your group wiped. You would have to complete all of these for the Dungeon Master requirement.
- Cleansing of Orr: Have cleared all Temples in Orr at some point, and be present in Orr when all temples are cleansed.
- Fractal Master: Achieve a high level in Fractals of the Mists. (Considering I have never participated in high-level fractals, it would be foolish of me to propose an arbitrary number. Something high, but not impossible. If that’s max level, then it’s max level)
- World Guardian: Completed a high number of WvW objectives and earned a high number of badges of honor.

All of this can be considered grind. Worse yet, you just tacked this process on to stuff you already need to do to get a legendary, i.e. grind lots of T6 mats and skill points. It sounds like you want legendary weapons to be even more of a grind than they already are.

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

World completion was already so tedious that I sold my precursor, master of agility just makes getting a legendary even more mindnumbing. There’s nothing legendary about exploring, it’s tedious. Something legendary would be to have to solo certain champions.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

Posted by: Vyko.6953

Vyko.6953

Yep, legendarys should be hard to obtain, there should be something very big that one would have to do for them (except farming and ability of buying the mats). something that not everyone can do.

#ELEtism

Posted by: DarksunG.9537

DarksunG.9537

All of this can be considered grind. Worse yet, you just tacked this process on to stuff you already need to do to get a legendary, i.e. grind lots of T6 mats and skill points. It sounds like you want legendary weapons to be even more of a grind than they already are.

Your definition of grind is so subjective & inclusive it makes the word irrelevant. And while the word grind is subjective, the one thing common factor is repetition. Grind would be collecting 1,000,000 charged loadstones. Based on the current state of Guild Wars 2, there is no physical way to make the process the OP created LESS grindy because each activity is different. Yes, doing all the JP are essentially the same thing, but at least it’s in different locations with different solutions. You may think it’s to LONG, but grindy? You couldn’t make it less grindy unless you just want it to be easier. Also, I don’t know that the OP wanted the same # of mat collections as currently required.

As far as people saying exploration is grindy, again your definition of grind seems to be “I don’t like it”(which I guess makes sense since it’s the only part of the word grind left when each activity is varied in action & location from the previous one). Fortunately exploration is one of the most popular & amazing aspects of Guild Wars 2. It blows every other MMO away in that category. If you guys don’t like it, say “I don’t like it” but the word grind certainly doesn’t apply.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Legendaries aren’t supposed to be the type for ‘everyone’ it’s legendary & only a certain number of people will get them- Anet likes it that way I’m sure.
If it was made easier for players to get legendaries, more than likely the players who have spent months or longer grinding would feel they’ve been cheated – if you don’t have the drive to get a legendary only simply because grinding isn’t your thing, then frankly there is no reason for you to get a legendary.
I mean it IS called ’Legend’ary- that usually doesn’t entitle easy; I think it’s fine how it is.
I do see your point of ‘anyone should be able to obtain legendary/precursor no matter the playstyle’ But I see it as those who work hard, get rewarded

(edited by Chasind.3128)

Posted by: Mackodlak.7961

Mackodlak.7961

I don’t wanna actually read all of the posts above, but here’s a few things to Anet AND the original poster:

This weapon is legendary, and as such cannot be crafted. Most of you are VERY MISTAKEN when you say you craft it. It is a gift from Zomorros. Everything you get from Mystic Forge is a gift. The name might be a bit misleading, but have you ever seen a hammer and anvil near it? Did you see some other tools? No, cause there aren’t any. It’s only a mystic place with Zomorros sitting in there, receiving stuff from you and giving you stuff in return. Sometimes you’re gambling and he gives you what he feels is fair at that moment, sometimes you’re getting stuff by the specific recipe. So when you’re getting the legendary weapon you’re actually giving Zomorros a certain precursor (so he knows what weapon to give back to you) and 3 gifts proving you’re worthy of receiving the gift of a legendary weapon from him.

Only 2 problems I have with this is we’re now certainly missing a precursor scavanger hunt (or whatever you wanna call it) – a 100% way of obtaining the wanted precursor. Prices are skyrocketing doe to bullkitten stuff like champion farm, invasions, queens gauntlet champion farm abuse with full gambits etc. Every time there is an event like this bunch of people find a way to abuse it, get kittenloads of gold from it (like queens gauntlet you could easily get like 200g per day if not more), then it gets nerfed when majority of people learns of it (ofc us that are playing the game and not only trying to find some way to abuse sth for income are always kittened by abusers not getting punished -it’s like was the ban of players buying the rares for 21 karma at game release rly necessary if you’re going to allow people to exploit every part of the living story, but only up to a point where like more than 5% of the people learns of it?)… To make story short there are always hundreds and possibly thousands of people that exploit certain parts of the game, or simply have 2 much free time they spend grinding, that then push the prices of everything up. To stop it you have to tie the price of precursor to certain materials. Preferably account bound like mithrilium – also has a 24h cooldown so can’t rly be abused. Then you will have easily obtainable precursor, that will also take time and some farming to get.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say getting 77 mystic clovers is hard. You can do that in 2-3 weeks withought any special farming, do some daily chest events, salvage ectos and craft them. Karma is easy to farm atm, so are skill point and whatever is neccessary. Do the 10 recipe and you will get kittenloads of t6 and lodestones possibly by doing so. That recipe is also there to help you get mats for legendary, i don’t know why so many people complain about it.

The other problem I see is the map completion part. Ofc, you HAVE to do it once, but it’s kittened, for people like myself, who wanna do more than 2 legendaries, to be forced to repeat map completion. It made sense up until a point ANET decided to make legendary weapons tradeable. What is the point of forcing me do a map completion multiple times when you’re allowing some kid to take out dad’s credit card and simply buy the legendary off of tp. Make gift of exploration like you have made achievement point reward skins. Once you unlock it you can take as many as you need. End of story.

So, precursor scavenger hunt and change way you get gift of exploration once you have finished map completion.

Posted by: Darthaemos.6370

Darthaemos.6370

When I look into what it takes to get a Legendary (the last real “hurdle” of the game), it seems like it’s simply not designed for players like me in mind.

That’s because it’s not for players like you (or me, for that matter, since I haven’t even bothered getting map completion).

In fact, didn’t ANET mention upon release something about how they expect only about 1% (or some other small number) to have legendaries? The fact that we currently see so many people with legendaries, and even people with multiple legendaries suggests that it really isn’t even as difficult as ANET intended, and that it is, in fact, quite possible for people to acquire them.

Birgitte / Graendhal / Aveandha
Death and Taxes [DnT] | http://www.dtguilds.com/

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

There was so much complaining and whining about Atiesh and Thunderfury being so tedious and drawn out (for example) in vanilla WoW that Blizzard actually went to the complete OPPOSITE extreme and made some legendaries in Burning Crusade straight up drop from final raid bosses (like Illidan).

I raided BT for 6 months trying to get that sword and never saw it drop once. You can imagine the soul-crashing feeling of never owning it on my rogue when LK came out

Posted by: gammarik.9426

gammarik.9426

When I look into what it takes to get a Legendary, it seems like it’s simply not designed for players like me in mind.

The thing is.. They’re not made for players like you. They’re made for the hardcore players, who play 10+ hours a day, and need something big, time consuming and cool to work towards. When i was about to quit the game because i couldn’t find anything to do, and i needed a goal, i turned to Legendaries. When i get my precursor, and finish Incinerator, i’ll most likely start working on another one, just to keep me busy. The only things about the Legendary crafting that needs to be redone is Precursors and Mysic Clovers. Everything else works fine, and takes time, which is what some players want.

Milasta Gandil – Human Thief – 80
Agzea – Sylvari Engineer – 80
We, Team Reem [REEM] on Ruins of Surmia, want you! /w me in-game!

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Imo a legendary should never be a result of long term farming and certainly not crafting. Reward or a rare drop ok, but crafting, noway.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Imo a legendary should never be a result of long term farming and certainly not crafting. Reward or a rare drop ok, but crafting, noway.

No, certainly not reward – else 50% of people will have it and will lose it’s Legendary value.

I would say drop – from dungeon boss/FoTM boss – rare, more scarce than precursor.

I agree that legendary should not be crafted too.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Plague.3174

Plague.3174

You touched some interesting points there.

Personally I will never make a legendary until I will have to farm my a** for materials. Farming it’s not fun for me;
Running around like an brainwashed dumb player in orr or frostgorge killing champions with other hundreds of players it’t not fun and it brings no challenge to the game..oh maybe it’s a challenge because you need to run fast or you will not get the loot;
Having no exact formula to achieve precursors it’s like " hey you farmed for the mats now go and farm for gold because you cannot afford to buy a precursor but who knows..maybe you will find it one day!"

Farming is boring, gives no value to the game and brings no challenge. AOE+speed stuff FTW.
I would agree with farming if it’s a choice of players to do it but this is no choice. If you want something you just need to farm.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

To put it simply: I never feel like I will ever accomplish a Legendary weapon.

I have 18 gold sitting in the bank. I have ONE cultural armor piece. I have maybe made a grand total of 50 gold on my character in my lifetime. This is because I simply don’t play that much, and when I do play, I’m actually playing the game… Not farming.

When I look into what it takes to get a Legendary (the last real “hurdle” of the game), it seems like it’s simply not designed for players like me in mind. I don’t want to go out and slam my head against the RNG wall for T6 mats and a Precursor. I don’t want to waste tons of money for the tiny chance at getting the absolutely absurd amount of Mystic Clovers required.

Do you have any idea how to make clovers?
1/ you need only 77, that’s not an absurd amount. In fact, it’s the lowest of all required materials
2/ it has a 1 in 3 chance. That’s not “tiny”. It’s a fairly decent one.
3/ It requires stuff you can get rather easy. I didn’t buy a single ecto or mystic coin for the clovers I made. I just make 5 whenever it’s the daily and I can easily make 5 ecto a day.

So don’t post hyperbole like that. The sentence I bolded is utterly false in every aspect and interpretation.

I’m close to getting my legendary as a casual. It took me since launch, it was my first goal. Didn’t waste money on commander, cultural and other waste but focused on getting one of the cheaper precursors. If I can do it, everyone can.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: ZenJii.7490

ZenJii.7490

I allready have my legendaries but I do like your idea. Thought those two points xD omg I don’t want to image the giant kittenstorm, flames, whinning and crying it would cause.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

To put it simple; Legendaries are for very dedicated people who invest a lot of time. It’s simply not for you. To be fair Anet always told that they are well BiS gear but not better than other (now ascended) weapons. That said: you don’t have to do it. You won’t be stronger with a legendary, it’s prestige, a vanity item.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Caffynated.5713

Caffynated.5713

The devs need to go play Final Fantasy XIV. Every single player who has acquired their relic weapon feels like they earned it through an incredibly challenging set of epic events that made having it feel special.

“We recognize that the changes to [ele] will essentially remove it from play. In the future,
we may consider whether or not there is an incarnation of [ele] that would be viable
but balanced. For now, we do not expect it to see serious use.” – ANet

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

tl’dr: The steps required to make Quel’Serrar in <that other game>, the Biggoron Sword in Ocarina of Time times 100. Sounds good.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Isslair.4908

Isslair.4908

“I don’t want to make money like other people do, I wanna make everyone grind things I like” – pretty much sums the OP.
A 100% way to get the precursor should be implemented – dats true. And it is planned.
But everything else is quite affordable. Well, only sPvP players are screwed.

EU Aurora Glade

(edited by Isslair.4908)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Looks too easy.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Incendirax.3567

Incendirax.3567

Time Glitch, while I agree with you wholeheartedly on the idea that these weapons are not truly legendary, I would just like to point out that while these weapons ARE hard to acquire, it is not out of the realms of a casual player. Right after launch, I became convinced that it was my desire to acquire Sunrise…. Who could forget the brilliant, golden traits flowing in the wind the first time I saw it in game?

And so, with this is mind, I set about getting my legendary as quickly as possible. However, I soon realised that this was going to be a much, much longer haul than I had expected. What transpired was that instead of grinding my kitten off for my legendary, I levelled alts, explored areas of the game I had never seen before… In short, experienced as much content of this game as possible. 1 alt turned into 7, and I feel in love with the Guardian, which completely changed my mind; if or when I got round to making a legendary, it would be the Juggernaut.

Now, I am not going to claim that I did no grinding, but the total of what I did was Deadeye Dunwell farm on a theif (thank god for alts!) for about a day, that got me my silver doubloons before the prices shot up. I crafted The Juggernaut about a month and a half ago, and I do not regret it for a second. Do you know why? Because since very soon after launch, I had never played the game with the sole intention of getting a legendary. It made the game much enjoyable, as I knew that the requisite parts of the legendary would soon just “appear”. As to the tier 6 mats, they are easier to get now because of the champion loot boxes, and hopefully precursor crafting will make things a tad less stressful.

TLDR; Don’t burn yourself out over a legendary, and the mats required will eventually come, even if it’s after a long period. Best of luck!

(edited by Incendirax.3567)

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

The first thing the player must do is truly become accomplished in the world of Tyria. Here are the first set of requirements:

Simply put, this is bad. The majority of these “requirements” can be bought, and/or rely on the success/participation of anywhere from 4 to dozens of other people.

Just don’t see how running with a zerg, or buying instance completion is at all Legendary.

Posted by: TobyTucker.5317

TobyTucker.5317

You need to add these accomplishments as well:

Master of Gold Farming
Master of the Auction House
Master of Gem Buying

The only guaranteed method of getting the precursor you need for the Legendary you want is to buy it, so you need some Mastery of obtaining the gold you’ll require.

rant:

Did you do something “Legendary” when you killed that random mob? No. What makes you so special that you got that precursor? Nothing at all. The complete randomness of who gets a precursor and who doesn’t is the complete opposite of the idea of someone being a “master” of the game. Having the one ingredient you absolutely need for the weapon that shows you’ve “mastered” this game falling into your possession via a “lucky drop” is such a poor mechanic that I’m really surprised it made it into the final build.

(edited by TobyTucker.5317)

Posted by: boondocksaint.6529

boondocksaint.6529

I generally do not comment in threads like this because I don’t think they deserve the bump. But here we go.

First off your list to acquire a legendary is, at best, somewhat challenging.

Second, LWs are at a good place, not overly difficult so only the hard core can achieve them but still stand out for people who do acquire them. Can a casual player get them, yes but it will take a lot of time and you will have to be disciplined not to spend your gold on other things.

Third, when you post reasons like this write down the why without using words like "grind’ ‘gem store’ or casual. It helps to make the post more concise.

Forth, if you seriously think your ideas are good look at it from the prospective of a developer. Here is what you would see on the forums.

WTF A-Net legendaries are supposed to be legendary.
Why can’t I get the legendary the way I want to play?
Why do I have to grind all the world bosses just for a legendary?
My server sucks and I don’t want to guest because that’s cheating. I guess I will never complete the temple of Belthazar? O well guess I’ll go to the ELO then where they appreciate me.
Does A-Net hate its costumers? They make you do Fractals so they must?
Does A-Net discriminate against handicapped people? I am a vet that fought in 30 wars and lost my dexterity saving a puppy from a burning building. I can’t do jumping puzzles, guess A-Net does not want my business.
WvW Succcccckkkkkkkssssss! I hate you A-Net

Point is your suggestion was only looking at what would make it easier for you to get a legendary and not if that what was good for the game.

The best suggestion I ever read was someone saying there should be a set of difficult quests that go along with the lore of the weapon and that would take the place of one of the items you need to craft it.