How Many Play GW2?

How Many Play GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: The Night Fox.6018

The Night Fox.6018

Guys, I’ve been searching for some recent information as to how many continually play Guild Wars 2 and bought the game, unfortunately all I could find is outdated information dating back several months ago. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place, but I would like to see how well Anet is doing in sales and the continuance of its player base.

(>’_’)>=-=-=-=-[} <(x_X<) Pie Fight.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s almost impossible to say. We know more than 3 million copies sold, but that’s about it.

I know there’s a ton of people on my server at almost all hours though. I also understand some servers are less busy.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

They probably have a steady population going. There’s no way in heck they’d ever reveal how many people there are right now, but it would be safe to assume that it is substantially less than 3 million.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

It’s the fastest growing MMO ever made (outside of China).

Last time they stated sales figures was in January, it was 3 million then. In the US all servers but 3 are Very High. I’m on a Very High server and the population has easily doubled since launch.

The question you really want to ask is: How well do they manage server populations? I mean I use to play a game that boasted millions of players worldwide but my server was dead as dirt. I could care less how many peeps they had in China if my auction house was empty and I couldn’t form an arena team or find a tank or healer for my raid group.

I’m still seeing new people joining the game everyday, players that have never seen the Behemoth or the Shatterer, players asking how to get the POI above the Eastern Ward in Lion’s Arch.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Voltron.1043

Voltron.1043

It’s the fastest growing MMO ever made (outside of China).

Last time they stated sales figures was in January, it was 3 million then. In the US all servers but 3 are Very High. I’m on a Very High server and the population has easily doubled since launch.

The question you really want to ask is: How well do they manage server populations? I mean I use to play a game that boasted millions of players worldwide but my server was dead as dirt. I could care less how many peeps they had in China if my auction house was empty and I couldn’t form an arena team or find a tank or healer for my raid group.

I’m still seeing new people joining the game everyday, players that have never seen the Behemoth or the Shatterer, players asking how to get the POI above the Eastern Ward in Lion’s Arch.

That is one big a FALSE. 3 milions was just how many copies were sold. It doesnt show how many people are playing- it can be 1 milion or 3 milion, or 500 thousand. We dont know that and there is no data to confirm/deny it.

Second, it was explained that servers population info like “Very Hight” are not about how many people are playing on this server. It was discussed long time ago, so I cant rember details, but you can dig it. It is long old story now.

Third, you cant tell that population on any server doubled. You dont have access to such date so dont mislead other players. You cant provide numbers or anything else, unless you are running and counting all players on server, perfectly seeing diffrents between new players and alts.

Last thing, they are new people that are starting play, as well as people who are leaving. Flow is from both sides. Besides, many of “new looking like players” in starting areas and other areas are just alts of same account, since leveling alts is so easy in GW2 and there are many people with 6+ 80s.

Summary- since we dont have any more data besides copies sold, nobody can tell how many people are playing GW2.

And btw the fastest MMO ever growing is for sure not GW2, there were many much bigger MMOs, like Lineage 2 or infamous here WoW. And here you can find hard data in internet. Cheer

(edited by Voltron.1043)

How Many Play GW2?

Vayne.8563

Actually Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time. That it to say it sold 3 million copies faster than any MMO in history including WoW. And that IS a matter of record.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

They probably have a steady population going. There’s no way in heck they’d ever reveal how many people there are right now, but it would be safe to assume that it is substantially less than 3 million.

even with the game already selling 3 million copys we also know that the game is STILL selling copy’s I work in the elactronics department of my store and i just had to restock the GW2 copys last week, of which we already sold a few.

than there’s also the sells that Anet has and that most Downloud things like MMO ((or PC game’s )) now days

and my guild also has a few players that have only been playing a few weeks now, so there’s also that.

AND i also see “new player need help” in both map chat and on the forums all the time.

(edited by UnderdogSMO.9428)

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

and yeah Voltron GW2 holds the record for fastest selling MMO of all time.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Flamenco.3894

Flamenco.3894

Yes, the manifesto worked indeed.

Prince Rurik and Lady Althea. Anyone else see the incompatibilty here?

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

Actually Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time. That it to say it sold 3 million copies faster than any MMO in history including WoW. And that IS a matter of record.

Then why is it when I google “fastest selling MMO” I keep getting SWTOR returns? You would think if what you said was true it would be bigger news.

Yes they sold 3 million fast, but they are not the fastest selling MMO of all time, that honor goes to SWTOR according to every other source I can find.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

The three million number sold to make this or swtor the fastest selling mmo of all time title is a little misleading. If you google a bit you can find info on various WoW add ons that sold 3 million in a single day. Given, the expansions were not the original, but if you are just throwing numbers and making erroneous statements it would pay to do some research. The sales for GW2 are never the less impressive and I hope it continues to do well.

How Many Play GW2?

Vayne.8563

Do you really think most people who bought the game bought it on the strength of the manifesto? Really? lmao

You’re a bit fixated on that manifesto. Strangely I saw the manifesto, bought the game at least partly on it and I’m not disappointed at all.

To each his own.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

The three million number sold to make this or swtor the fastest selling mmo of all time title is a little misleading. If you google a bit you can find info on various WoW add ons that sold 3 million in a single day. Given, the expansions were not the original, but if you are just throwing numbers and making erroneous statements it would pay to do some research. The sales for GW2 are never the less impressive and I hope it continues to do well.

Good stuff. Cheers!

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: playandchill.3908

playandchill.3908

I dunno.

But i can say that minecraft has more streamer.

[LANI] Multi glad pewpew

QUIT- RETIRED

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

Do you really think most people who bought the game bought it on the strength of the manifesto? Really? lmao

You’re a bit fixated on that manifesto. Strangely I saw the manifesto, bought the game at least partly on it and I’m not disappointed at all.

To each his own.

Considering how many people bought the game and subsequently left, I think it is safe to say that the ideas behind the manifesto permeated the rumors about this game and once people realized it was another WoW clone, they left with the same distrust in MMO hype as all the others.

The only thing that gave this chance a shot at actually living up to the hype is that GW1 did break the mold. GW2, however, did not.

How Many Play GW2?

Vayne.8563

Good stuff. Cheers!

Sure but those are expansions. We didn’t say the fast expansion. A WoW expansion is bulding on an already existing game. You can’t say WoW came out, and then sold the expansion faster than a new release. What you could do is when Guild Wars 2 comes out with an expansion, compare that to a WoW expansion…but a WoW expansion is still WoW and WoW sold a certain amount of copies in the first four to five months after launch.

Guild Wars 2 sold more in the same time period.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

My guess would probably be around 1-1.5 million active players, but not concurrent. I don’t know where I’d peg concurrent because that fluctuates too much in MMO’s..

How Many Play GW2?

killcannon.2576

Good stuff. Cheers!

Sure but those are expansions. We didn’t say the fast expansion. A WoW expansion is bulding on an already existing game. You can’t say WoW came out, and then sold the expansion faster than a new release. What you could do is when Guild Wars 2 comes out with an expansion, compare that to a WoW expansion…but a WoW expansion is still WoW and WoW sold a certain amount of copies in the first four to five months after launch.

As I stated, it was an expansion. But does it matter? What do you want the numbers to mean to you? It can be interpreted in any way you see fit, for example did those 3 million copies sold of the expansion include new players? Players returning? Data is open to interpretation in many ways, and PR always spins it favorably for their company. And in the end it doesn’t matter. Enjoy the game, play the game, help others to enjoy the game by word of mouth and by being social in the world.

The numbers don’t really matter.

How Many Play GW2?

Vayne.8563

Good stuff. Cheers!

As I stated, it was an expansion. But does it matter? What do you want the numbers to mean to you? It can be interpreted in any way you see fit, for example did those 3 million copies sold of the expansion include new players? Players returning? Data is open to interpretation in many ways, and PR always spins it favorably for their company. And in the end it doesn’t matter. Enjoy the game, play the game, help others to enjoy the game by word of mouth and by being social in the world.

The numbers don’t really matter.

Of course it matters. A new MMO out of the box should be compared with a new MMO out of the box. It shouldn’t be compared with expansion sales, because that’s a whole different ball game.

In any event, it’s very hard to compare a free to play MMO with a pay to play MMO with a buy to play MMO.

But out of gate, Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling new MMO. You can compare expansions if you want, but it’s not the same thing.

In fact, considering the advertising budget Blizzard has, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if they sold more copies of expansions. And I’m really surprised that Guild Wars 2 has outsold WoW after it’s launch (except that more people probably play computer games now than then).

But you know,. a fact is a fact. You can say it’s not by trying to change the comparison, but it doesn’t change the fact that out of the gate, Guild Wars 2 outsold WoW in an equal period of time.

But it doesn’t matter. Guild Wars 2 will never have the sales WoW had long term. It’ll never happen. For one thing, you have to be in the right place at the right time to do that. WoW didn’t have a ton of competition. There were no free to play MMO’s competing with it. They didn’t even have something like WoW to compete with at the time.

And Guild Wars 2 STILL sold faster.

How Many Play GW2?

killcannon.2576

Uh, ok. shrugs Anyway here is some more food for thought for the numbers people out there, because it seems it matters.

Lord of the Rings Online
April 2007 – Lord of the Rings Online becomes the best selling PC game of the year
December 2007 – Lord of the Rings Online dwindles but holds steady at 300,000 subscriptions
September 2010 – Lord of the Rings Online becomes free to play
http://westkarana.com/index.php/2007/12/22/is-lord-of-the-rings-online-a-failure/

Age of Conan
June 2008 – Age of Conan sells over 1 million copies
February 2009 – Age of Conan drops below 100,000 subscriptions
May 2011 – Age of Conan becomes free to play
http://www.shacknews.com/article/57362/funcom-loses-23m-age-of

Warhammer Online
October 2008 – Warhammer reaches 750,000 players in less than a month
January 2009 – Warhammer’s subscriptions dwindle to 300,000
November 2009 – Warhammer launches its “Endless Free Trial”
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/warhammer_online_slips_300000_subscribers_layoffs_rumored

Aion
September 2009 – Aion becomes the best selling PC game of the year, with 1 million units sold on its western release
Now – Aion has 3.5 million subscribers in Asia but faces dwindling numbers in the Western World which has never reached even 1/3 as many subscribers as Asia
http://www.gamespot.com/news/aion-preorders-near-400000-6228635
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aion:_The_Tower_of_Eternity

Rift
March 2011 – Rift launches, sells just over 1 million copies
August 2011 – Rift opens free week in what was rumoured to be an attempt to boost dwindling subscriptions
Now – Trion has suspiciously never stated actual subscription numbers, but instead chose to “boast” that they took (a measily) 600k subscribers of WoW’s then 12 million
http://news.mmosite.com/content/2011-06-08/rift_has_cost_50m_sold_1m_units_and_taken_6000000_players
_from_wow.kittenml

How Many Play GW2?

killcannon.2576

Also, not saying that Guild Wars 2 isn’t a great game, or hasn’t sold well. But in the end, the numbers don’t matter, the community does.

How Many Play GW2?

Vayne.8563

Also, not saying that Guild Wars 2 isn’t a great game, or hasn’t sold well. But in the end, the numbers don’t matter, the community does.

It’s easy to sell games out of the gate, because the hype is still strong. It will be interested to see, moving forward, how the game sells, particularly when the first expansion comes out.

Until then, we really don’t have much to go on.

How Many Play GW2?

The Night Fox.6018

From what I can tell, we don’t know anything other than the official statement that Anet has sold 3 million copies. Personal experience of people buying games, playing the game, and leaving the game amount to no empirical knowledge that I desire to know. And to those who say “it doesn’t matter”. I want to know how well the sales are and the consistency of log-ins made by its player base to better understand how our age is receiving this game.

Another reason is I want to see how well Anet is doing by their hard work and continuing support and free patches (something I do not experience to this degree in any other game).

How Many Play GW2?

killcannon.2576

What does the term “our age” mean?

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

No idea, but it doesn’t matter to me as long as there’s a sufficient amount of players for the game to be playable.

How Many Play GW2?

The Night Fox.6018

Our age as in our current population. Not sure how else to define it? Pretty much the people who enjoy guild wars 2…

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s probably impossible for anyone but Anet to even estimate it accurately.

And even they may not be able to tell exactly. They’ll know how many copies have been sold and how many accounts have been created (probably the same but you never know), and they probably know and keep track of how many people are online at any given time.

They might even be able to find out when each account last logged in.

But because you don’t have to pay a subscription it’s virtually impossible to know which of those inactive accounts are people who have stopped playing completely and which are just people taking some time off. Sure if a guy hasn’t logged in for 6 months they’ve probably quit, but if they’re gone for 2 weeks they could be on holiday. If they’re gone for a month they could be really busy at work, or have a new baby, or be grounded or whatever. So where do you put the cut-off point?

They could probably produce some interest statistics (in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if some poor guy has the exciting job of putting together graphs of things like numbers of players online, average hours played per account etc. for monthly meetings) but I doubt they could ever say exactly how many people are playing the game at any given time.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Since there are no official numbers there are likely less then 10% of the people that bought the game actually still playing it.

If it were any impressive amount of people then ArenaNet would be publishing the numbers far and wide.

So I’d say under 100’000, probably more like 20’000-50’000 regular players.

You can guesstimate the number of players roughly by the amount of WvW worlds: there are currently about 50 worlds with likely no more then a few thousand players in total (maybe even less). Not sure how many players fit on a single world but at least in the case of WOW a “full” shard has about 1’500 players per faction maximum.

But anyway… no numbers from the devs = it’s not going well. Otherwise they’d be hyping it to attract more investors for their future products and expansions etc.

I agree with this guy.

Remember that GW2 sold 3 mil over a total of 6 months, and like 1.5 on launch. Meaning box sales took 6 months to reach 3 mil. While games like Diablo 3 which sold 6 million and MOP (WOW) sold something like 2.6 mil on launch are also still growing in box sales.

But as we know there was a huge fiacso around Diablo and it has lost a huge amount of it’s followers much like GW2 with the lost shores update, one of the reasons it took so long for GW2 the on quote “Fastest growing MMO” to reach half of what Diablo 3 sold on launch was because of what happened there.

Also GW2 isn’t a game that most people play as their main game, it’s mostly a casual experience that people play every now and then there is no dedication needed (as said in their manifesto) people often have 3 months break come back for a week then have another break.

From personal experience, Out of 30 people I know that bought this game 0 people are currently playing it, 25 out of the 30 left in the first month of release (September not August), 5 out of that 25 went back to Wow, 7 out of that 25 went to Tera, and the remaining 13 aren’t currently playing any mmos. The 5 people that didnt quit, only one reached max level in november and quit in december.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

I know this is a terrible indicator but Xfire still has GW2 ranked at Number 5.

By comparison, Dota 2, which has millions of players is number 9.

I know I know, not everyone uses xfire etc etc. But still, it’s an impressive achievement for a 7 month old MMO, when most drop off the charts almost instantly.

Even if you disregard that data though. Anet have in fact come out and said that the concurrent numbers, after the initial drop off from launch, have now stabilised and are in fact increasing steadily.

To the OP though, like most have alluded too, no one here really knows for sure.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Halanna.3927

Halanna.3927

It doesn’t matter how fast the game sold.

Or how many copies the game sold.

Or if it was the fastest selling MMO ever.

What matters is how many people are playing the game, logging in on a semi daily basis and actually contributing to their guild and playing the content.

I used to see obscure places with people all over. Now I do see empty maps. I see empty cities for certain.

I see huge turn over in my guild. All the people who used to play, stopped playing and we just keep adding new players to the guild – who eventually disappear too. Which is probably what Anet wants. First thing a new player will do is buy some gems to expand character bag slots and maybe a bank slot or two. The people who have already quit have already spent their money.

I’m not seeing player retention, just player turn over.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Tarnished Coast is always busy. I’m really glad I chose it as my home server back during prerelease.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I dunno.

But i can say that minecraft has more streamer.

MMOs are incredibly boring to watch.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Hawkian.6580

Hawkian.6580

I just wanted to provide some clarity on the “fastest-selling of all time” issue. Also, I’ll thank killcannon for providing some contextual data to compare.

First, what does “fastest growing” mean? There are a variety of ways to measure it. Some would say that “sales within the first week” are all that should be considered. For our purposes, we can eschew a static timeframe that excludes data after a certain date in favor of “most copies sold in the shortest amount of time,” which we can compare fairly using reported sales numbers after a certain timeframe since release. That is, we can see both how many copies were sold by different games in the same period, as well as how long it took different games to reach the same sales threshold (if ever).

Two things we definitely have to acknowledge when making this metric determination are:

1) “…in the West”
and
2) Unless you count MMO expansions as individual games

Then why is it when I google “fastest selling MMO” I keep getting SWTOR returns? You would think if what you said was true it would be bigger news.

This is problematic. You should never base any premise whatsoever on what you find as the top result for searching for a keyphrase on Google. For one thing, the phrase itself might be inadequate to obtain the results you’re looking for. For another, Google does not sort results by what is the most recent or the most accurate, but by which links have the highest PageRank.

News articles about SWTOR are rated highly by this algorithm. When SWTOR became the fastest-selling MMO of all time (which, in 2011, it did), it shattered the previous recordholder handily (in becoming the fastest-selling MMO, it also eclipsed the total sales of the previously fastest-selling games by a fair margin). This was a big deal!

However, it retained this record for less than a year, when it was overtaken by GW2. This is simply the fact of the scenario, not some kind of subjective assessment of what occurred. As to why it isn’t “bigger news,” I suppose it’s a fair question, but mainly one for the marketing department at ArenaNet. It might be a wise thing to base a campaign around during a free weekend/sale event.

Yes they sold 3 million fast, but they are not the fastest selling MMO of all time, that honor goes to SWTOR according to every other source I can find.

This is simply incorrect. And since you chose to say “according to every source,” I unfortunately have to question how much time you even spent looking.

SWTOR reached 2 million copies sold in four weeks, an incredibly impressive feat, especially considering the records it broke to reach that milestone. However, Guild Wars 2 accomplished this feat in just over two weeks. – and this timeframe also included a brief period when digital sales of the game were halted. It then went on to sell roughly another million in the remainder of 2012 which is significant because SWTOR simply never reached this figure at all. As of February 2012, EA was still sticking with an ‘over 2 million’ sales estimate, where the “active subscriber” pool was thought to have stabilized at 1.7 million.

Thus by either practical metric we might use based on this data- either “most sold within two weeks” or “shortest time to reach 3 million”- Guild Wars 2 wins handily and without much threat, at present, in the “fastest-growing MMO of all time” category (again, once you account for only the Western market, as well as not counting WoW’s expansions as individual games). In contrast, World of Warcraft, which was itself the fastest-selling PC game (not just MMO) at the time of its release, took roughly 8 months to reach 2 million subscribers and essentially, no other games are even a part of this discussion. EVE Online, notable for having consistent post-launch growth (like WoW, GW2 and no other MMOs at all ever in the West), has barely 500,000 subscribers total, and only crossed that line in 2013.

Regardless of how you feel about GW2 as a game, I hope we can all acknowledge these factual aspects of the MMO marketplace. Thanks for reading!

(edited by Hawkian.6580)

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Stefan.9360

Stefan.9360

GW2 lost many players from beginning and continue losing because arenanet does not trying to balancing populations of the servers. I know the balancing is most hardest part of maintaining of all MMORPG. And for arenanet stop making events, events can’t take back players, can’t truly hold players.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

@Hawkian

Yes, I realize the problems inherent in my search. I do appreciate that your post was well thought out and explained why it was bad fact finding.

I do think we should note that the initial sales figures for games largely have nothing to do with how populated that game stays. SWTOR may be the second quickest selling MMO ever, and it is still considered unsuccessful.

I think one thing that can be noted about both is that many of their early sales were likely generated by the fact that their predecessor was largely successful. Therefore, using early sales figures gives us little insight into how well a company will do or how populated it will stay.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Notsure.7028

Notsure.7028

To each his own.

Considering how many people bought the game and subsequently left, I think it is safe to say that the ideas behind the manifesto permeated the rumors about this game and once people realized it was another WoW clone, they left with the same distrust in MMO hype as all the others.

The only thing that gave this chance a shot at actually living up to the hype is that GW1 did break the mold. GW2, however, did not.

You actually called GW2 a wow clone? you do know the definition of clone right? this game has NOTHING that wow has. Aside from an auction house (Trading Post) I cant think of anything that is even close. Ok, you could argue that they have dungeons, yea. but there are so very few similarities that it blew my mind that you made a wow clone reference. And if your trolling, you definitely got me.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

To each his own.

You actually called GW2 a wow clone? you do know the definition of clone right? this game has NOTHING that wow has. Aside from an auction house (Trading Post) I cant think of anything that is even close. Ok, you could argue that they have dungeons, yea. but there are so very few similarities that it blew my mind that you made a wow clone reference. And if your trolling, you definitely got me.

How Many Play GW2?

Hawkian.6580

Since there are no official numbers there are likely less then 10% of the people that bought the game actually still playing it.

If it were any impressive amount of people then ArenaNet would be publishing the numbers far and wide.

So I’d say under 100’000, probably more like 20’000-50’000 regular players.

You can guesstimate the number of players roughly by the amount of WvW worlds: there are currently about 50 worlds with likely no more then a few thousand players in total (maybe even less). Not sure how many players fit on a single world but at least in the case of WOW a “full” shard has about 1’500 players per faction maximum.

This was an extremely unsettling read. :-/

So far as I can tell, you pulled literally every number in this post except for the final “1500” completely out of thin air:
10%
20,000-50,000
a few thousand

It appears that you are estimating these numbers yourself based on anecdotal experience or just your own instincts, and not a single data source. If you want to engage in wild speculation of this nature, please start by saying something like, “I’m just making these numbers up, but…” or, “This is completely speculative, but…” so that people will not be mistaken into thinking what you’re saying is true.

But anyway… no numbers from the devs = it’s not going well. Otherwise they’d be hyping it to attract more investors for their future products and expansions etc.

I hate to dismiss this so handily, but this is deeply flawed logic. ArenaNet is not a publicly traded company. As long as their private investors and corporate owners are happy, there is no tangible benefit whatsoever to revealing sales information on a regular basis, whereas there are many potential benefits to intentionally withholding this information from the public. For example, they could release a new sales milestone publicly to coincide with the launch sales of a competing product.

GW2 lost many players from beginning and continue losing

Again, I hate to dismiss a comment outright, but is this merely your own speculation or do you have some sort of source for the claim?

@Hawkian

Yes, I realize the problems inherent in my search. I do appreciate that your post was well thought out and explained why it was bad fact finding.

I do think we should note that the initial sales figures for games largely have nothing to do with how populated that game stays. SWTOR may be the second quickest selling MMO ever, and it is still considered unsuccessful.

You bring up two good points: one, that intial/launch figures have little to do with stable concurrency, and two, that SWTOR which previously held the record of “fastest-selling” is considered in large part to be a failure.

Toward the first point, you’re simply right on the money. Only time will tell if the sales figures hold. I believe there is a strong case to be made that they will, when in comes to GW2, but this is conjecture.

Toward the second, SWTOR is a case study in how initially comparable sales scenarios can take completely different paths. There are several things to consider. After reaching its “fastest-selling” milestone of two million copies in four weeks, its subscriber base did not continue to grow following this point. It dropped off and eventually stabilized. It gets muddier to compare here because ongoing subscription payments were a necessary component of their revenue model whereas this is not required for GW2. Of course, the ultimate irony is that SWTOR eventually dramatically changed its business model after these problems, “going free to play” as is the expression. This resulted in a spike in active subscriptions, followed by another falloff and stabilization. It is not an actively growing population, and that is a crucial distinction.

Another way of thinking of it is that, while it was the record-holder for fastest-growing MMO of all time, it is no longer even “a growing MMO” of any kind. Meanwhile, GW2 is currently the fastest-growing MMO of all time (and in my opinion will likely retain this record for at least a year or two), which is highly relevant to the original question posed by the OP.

edit: I don’t get how to quote properly on this board… only the first poster name shows up. Sorry to Stefan and Clay that your quoted posts aren’t attributed to you.

(edited by Hawkian.6580)

How Many Play GW2?

danbuter.2314

Another way of thinking of it is that, while it was the record-holder for fastest-growing MMO of all time, it is no longer even “a growing MMO” of any kind. Meanwhile, GW2 is currently the fastest-growing MMO of all time (and in my opinion will likely retain this record for at least a year or two), which is highly relevant to the original question posed by the OP.

And you get these stats from where? Your stats are also completely made up.

How Many Play GW2?

Hawkian.6580

Er, huh? Did you see my other post? I used links and multiple ways of defining “fastest” and everything. Please don’t say I’m making anything up when I’ve actually taken the time to do research. The only thing in that paragraph that is non-factual is my prediction that it will keep its record for a year or two. I attempted to make this clear by prefacing it with in my opinion.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Krustydog.3072

Krustydog.3072

World of Tanks holds the honor of most players on at one time on a server by breaking their own record. EVERY single player I came into this game with, myself included, no longer plays. WvWvW is nothing more than a lemming gibb fest where nothing you do really matters. Take a keep-move on-other side retakes keep. Next week the whole cycle resets. For pvp WoT smokes and I mean SMOKES GW2. To the guys saying they read the manifesto and think GW2 held to it-NOT! There is NOTHING that distinguishes this game from any other run of the mill AAA fail mmo.

SoR FTW

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

EVERY single player I came into this game with, myself included, no longer plays.

Why are you posting here then? Funny, how almost every single player I came into this game with (more than 20 people), still plays the game and enjoys it, or takes a break due to RL reasons (not playing other MMORPGs in the meantime).

To answer the OP, it’s doing fairly well, but since we have no actual data this comes only from experience, lots of servers are packed full and you can see people everywhere playing the game so the population is certainly not going down at all.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

World of Tanks holds the honor of most players on at one time on a server by breaking their own record.

Yeah, most players on a single server. As long as there are enough people on any given server, who cares how many there are? Any time there’s a major group event in GW2, like Frozen Maw, one of the dragons, or Champion this or that, I look around and see tons of players swarming the area. Any more than is needed, and there’s no benefit to having them all crammed into one server. I’d rather just have more servers.

How many servers does World of Tanks even have? I don’t see how your point is relevant to this thread. A good MMORPG, especially one with cross-server competitive elements like WvW, makes efforts to spread out server population across all servers evenly. At the time of this writing, ArenaNet is offering free transfers to medium-pop servers. They don’t want everybody crowding the same server.

EVERY single player I came into this game with, myself included, no longer plays.

Personal anecdote, impossible to verify, and completely vague.

What does it even mean to “leave” GW2, when it’s free to play after you’ve purchased it? Anyone who told you they “no longer play” GW2 could literally start playing again any second now, and keep playing until they “no longer play” again.

WvWvW is nothing more than a lemming gibb fest where nothing you do really matters. Take a keep-move on-other side retakes keep. Next week the whole cycle resets. For pvp WoT smokes and I mean SMOKES GW2.

Whooooaaaa!!! Dude, I’d better get on over to World of Tanks right now! Thanks for the advertisement!

To the guys saying they read the manifesto and think GW2 held to it-NOT! There is NOTHING that distinguishes this game from any other run of the mill AAA fail mmo.

Slow day on the WoT forums, or what?

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

unless someone datamines into their servers we’ll never know.
I don’t think it’s doing terribly bad, but I do think it’s not as well as their forecasts probably were (which is why we’re not hearing much on either side of users vs sales vs concurrent players etc)

How Many Play GW2?

Hawkian.6580

I do think it’s not as well as their forecasts probably were (which is why we’re not hearing much on either side of users vs sales vs concurrent players etc)

Can you explain why you think this (unless what you put in parentheses is your reasoning)?

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

Anet mentioned around February that the concurrency and playtime/player/week numbers had been growing steadily since mid-december.

This definitely matched up with my own guild’s activity as well as what I had observed in-game.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by GrandmaFunk.3052)

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

I don’t think it’s doing terribly bad, but I do think it’s not as well as their forecasts probably were (which is why we’re not hearing much on either side of users vs sales vs concurrent players etc)

Really? I actually watch Anet’s announcements and they said that the population is growing since around December, they don’t give numbers but they DO say that the population is growing steadily.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: PVStar.3658

PVStar.3658

Apart from broadcasting initial sales and Blizzard boasting that WoW had 12 million players, companies generally don’t give out that information, or they’re very vague with it. Not hearing much about it doesn’t necessarily mean that they’re not doing as well as they thought.

Anyways, I wouldn’t doubt that the population is growing. When I quit playing back in November it was looking pretty gloom, but since I’ve been back I’m actually surprised at the amount of activity I’m seeing. Apart from the lack of true support for structured PvP, ANet is improving the game pretty decently and people are noticing. People need to realize that most MMOs that are designed around keeping players playing were doing terrible 7 months after release (pretty much every AAA MMO that’s been released since WoW other than Rift), for a MMO like GW2 to still have an active playerbase after 7 months isn’t something to be overlooked.

(edited by PVStar.3658)

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

From the front page of the official Wiki:
This page has been accessed 16,872,021 times.

Some of you are greatly underestimating how many people play this game

How Many Play GW2?

danbuter.2314

How many times was that accessed by the same person? Is it cumulative?