How Many Play GW2?

How Many Play GW2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

From the front page of the official Wiki:
This page has been accessed 16,872,021 times.

Some of you are greatly underestimating how many people play this game

So, how many people play this game? I really don’t think citing how many hits the wiki has received in any way can tell us how many people are actively playing.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

So, how many people play this game? I really don’t think citing how many hits the wiki has received in any way can tell us how many people are actively playing.

Any number would be pure conjecture since no official numbers have been published regarding the number of players that log on each month.

However, judging from my personal observation there’s a kittenton of people everywhere with new people joining everyday and it looks like the population has doubled since November.

As far as the wiki, I started tracking hits 10 days ago. At that time there was 16,233,480 hits.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Wiki-some-random-facts/first

Compare that to 16,875,389 today. Judging from how few people in game even know about the wiki I think that’s a good indication of the healthy activity/population of the game.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

I don’t think you can deduce anything about active population from wiki page hits, plenty of active players never use it and plenty of players hit it 20+ times a day.

Heck, some ppl go to check out and don’t even own the game :P

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Syphen.1980

Syphen.1980

And how many people are playing and player retention means what to you? It doesn’t affect your enjoyment of the game in any way shape or form. There is no need to go omg omg the sky is falling. If you don’t enjoy the game anymore the door is that way —→ there are however plenty of us that still do. Obviously if performance was abysmal they would not have the capital to keep the game running since it is buy to play and the only income is from the gem shop.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

Any number would be pure conjecture since no official numbers have been published regarding the number of players that log on each month.

However, judging from my personal observation there’s a kittenton of people everywhere with new people joining everyday and it looks like the population has doubled since November.

As far as the wiki, I started tracking hits 10 days ago. At that time there was 16,233,480 hits.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Wiki-some-random-facts/first

Compare that to 16,875,389 today. Judging from how few people in game even know about the wiki I think that’s a good indication of the healthy activity/population of the game.

Listen, I’m not denying that the game isn’t growing. I will believe the devs on that one, but “c’mon man!” you are making up crap just like everyone else.

How do you figure the population has doubled since November?

How do you know that very few people know about the wiki?

I could go and find other remarkably terrible sources of data that would show that nobody plays the game, and it would still be bad data. Furthermore, I could respond to you by saying that by my observations, the world is dying and I see less people every day. One person’s observation is also not a good indicator of how healthy this game’s population is.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but your points are meaningless, as are many others’ in this thread.

How Many Play GW2?

Karizee.8076

16 million hits didn’t just fall out of the sky. If a youtube video gets 16 million hits they call it viral.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Syphen.1980

Syphen.1980

/e puts his tinfoil hat one..

Maybe they are robo spamming the wiki site to make it look like there are more people than there really are. They are just trying to give the issusion that the game isn’t failing.

/end conspiracy theory
/end sarcasm

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

16 million hits didn’t just fall out of the sky. If a youtube video gets 16 million hits they call it viral.

/facepalm

YouTube != Wiki

Here, I didn’t want to do this, but here is a bunch of pretend crap that counters your argument:

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/guildwars2.com

http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/swtor.com

Alexa estimates that the “estimated percent of global internet users” for SWTOR.com is 0.05% and guildwars2.com as 0.03%. Does that mean that there are more people playing SWTOR (a “dead” game) than there are people playing Guild Wars 2? NO It is just another attempt to make a useless argument based on nothing of any importance – especially since you can’t give us any comparison to other games or some kind of data that shows a connection between wiki hits and players active.

There is nothing you can extrapolate from your data or from mine.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

A safe estimate is probably 650,000 – 950,000 active players, split between Europe and the US, with Europe having the higher population.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

A safe estimate is probably 650,000 – 950,000 active players, split between Europe and the US, with Europe having the higher population.

Care to cite why/how you came up with that?

How Many Play GW2?

Mackdose.6504

No. I will say that GW as a franchise has traditionally been more popular in Europe.

Everything else is anecdotal, and educated guessing based around projected sales, actual sales, and typical retention for an MMO.

Seeing a range on 350k-550k in the US and 450-650k in Europe hardly seems unrealistic.

How Many Play GW2?

GrandmaFunk.3052

And of course, no one plays GW2 outside the US and Europe.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

How Many Play GW2?

Mackdose.6504

And of course, no one plays GW2 outside the US and Europe.

Sorry, but being as that’s where the data centers are, where the players are geographically located is pretty irrelevant.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

No. I will say that GW as a franchise has traditionally been more popular in Europe.

Everything else is anecdotal, and educated guessing based around projected sales, actual sales, and typical retention for an MMO.

Seeing a range on 350k-550k in the US and 450-650k in Europe hardly seems unrealistic.

Ok, well since we are playing the “make up numbers game”. I will guess that America has around 100k-150k players and Europe has around 200k-250k players.

Glad we are now making up pretend numbers based on nothing whatsoever and actually admitting to it.

How Many Play GW2?

GrandmaFunk.3052

Sorry, but being as that’s where the data centers are, where the players are geographically located is pretty irrelevant.

Fair enough… but if the geographical location of the players is irrelevant…what do we gain by splitting the population based on which data center they connect to?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

How Many Play GW2?

Karizee.8076

US Servers
Very High – 21
High – 1
Medium – 2

EU Servers
Very High – 12
High – 1
Medium – 14

Looks like more players in the US to me.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

US Servers
Very High – 21
High – 1
Medium – 2

EU Servers
Very High – 12
High – 1
Medium – 14

This makes sense. If Euro players liked GW1 more (as Mackdose states), I would doubt they would keep playing GW2. They are night and day different.

How Many Play GW2?

Mackdose.6504

Fair enough… but if the geographical location of the players is irrelevant…what do we gain by splitting the population based on which data center they connect to?

We’re not, total sales were calculated between US and Europe, therefore total population derived from those sales would also be totaled between them.

How Many Play GW2?

Mackdose.6504

Ok, well since we are playing the “make up numbers game”. I will guess that America has around 100k-150k players and Europe has around 200k-250k players.

Glad we are now making up pretend numbers based on nothing whatsoever and actually admitting to it.

Those are probably peak concurrent numbers for sure.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

Those are probably peak concurrent numbers for sure.

Based on nothing…

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Theoldman.6483

Theoldman.6483

Maybe those are the wrong numbers to look at.

Consider the 5 day average for gold to gems over time

In November I paid $10 for a character slot.

Around January 1st, 2013 1.55 gold bought 100 gems on my server. I bought 800 gems for another character slot. Currently at 2.35 gold for 100 gems. There have been peaks and valleys but overall the trend has been steadily increasing implying gems are becoming more scarce for some reason. A number of theories can be made to suggest the reason, pick one you like. Come September 2013 it will probably be real clear and no longer debatable.

How Many Play GW2?

Karizee.8076

There have been peaks and valleys but overall the trend has been steadily increasing implying gems are becoming more scarce for some reason.

Or gold becoming more plentiful (much more likely).

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I hope it is more then that, didnt Tera just claim they had 1.4 active subscribers after going free to play??

And everyone says Tera is a flop…so less would be bad.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

And how many people are playing and player retention means what to you? It doesn’t affect your enjoyment of the game in any way shape or form. .

Because if the number is too low, the game will be canceled (see City of Heroes). NCSoft is not shy about killing slow games.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Since we are all making up numbers… Based off the low amount of GW2 twitch viewers(175 average) I am gonna say there are about 50,000 active players.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Wirldwide.8046

Wirldwide.8046

I just wanted to provide some clarity on the “fastest-selling of all time” issue. Also, I’ll thank killcannon for providing some contextual data to compare.

First, what does “fastest growing” mean? There are a variety of ways to measure it. Some would say that “sales within the first week” are all that should be considered. For our purposes, we can eschew a static timeframe that excludes data after a certain date in favor of “most copies sold in the shortest amount of time,” which we can compare fairly using reported sales numbers after a certain timeframe since release. That is, we can see both how many copies were sold by different games in the same period, as well as how long it took different games to reach the same sales threshold (if ever).

Two things we definitely have to acknowledge when making this metric determination are:

1) “…in the West”
and
2) Unless you count MMO expansions as individual games

Then why is it when I google “fastest selling MMO” I keep getting SWTOR returns? You would think if what you said was true it would be bigger news.

This is problematic. You should never base any premise whatsoever on what you find as the top result for searching for a keyphrase on Google. For one thing, the phrase itself might be inadequate to obtain the results you’re looking for. For another, Google does not sort results by what is the most recent or the most accurate, but by which links have the highest PageRank.

News articles about SWTOR are rated highly by this algorithm. When SWTOR became the fastest-selling MMO of all time (which, in 2011, it did), it shattered the previous recordholder handily (in becoming the fastest-selling MMO, it also eclipsed the total sales of the previously fastest-selling games by a fair margin). This was a big deal!

However, it retained this record for less than a year, when it was overtaken by GW2. This is simply the fact of the scenario, not some kind of subjective assessment of what occurred. As to why it isn’t “bigger news,” I suppose it’s a fair question, but mainly one for the marketing department at ArenaNet. It might be a wise thing to base a campaign around during a free weekend/sale event.

Yes they sold 3 million fast, but they are not the fastest selling MMO of all time, that honor goes to SWTOR according to every other source I can find.

This is simply incorrect. And since you chose to say “according to every source,” I unfortunately have to question how much time you even spent looking.

With all due respect, this is misleading information. The reason is because the news is the game sold 3 million copies from launch until a specific date. That cannot be compared to any other MMO for one reason. The reason is because the company offered “PRE-PURCHASE” of the game and is including those numbers in their sold copies. The other gaming companies didn’t offer that but only pre-orders which aren’t considered part of the sold numbers. Pre-purchase of Guild Wars 2 opened on April 10, 2012 which is at least 4 months prior to game launch.

Also remember, the game was offered to be completely refunded to anyone that bought the game. We don’t know what those numbers are for the people that took the refund.

(edited by Wirldwide.8046)

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Can someone link this GW2 is the fastest selling mmo? Everything I see by google is saying that SWTOR is the fastest sellling mmo.

How Many Play GW2?

Karizee.8076

Now don’t get excited folks but this is from 1 point on 1 map (out of 30 maps) on 1 world (out of 51 worlds), not to mention the 33 dungeon paths and Fractals and jumping puzzles and mini dungeons and personal story instances and cities and OVERFLOWS, etc.

http://i.imgur.com/rCy8t7U.jpg

This game is exploding with players, can’t take 2 steps without tripping over people.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Volrath.1473

Volrath.1473

Actually Guild Wars 2 is the fastest selling MMO of all time. That it to say it sold 3 million copies faster than any MMO in history including WoW. And that IS a matter of record.

what good is that record for if in 1 year time there is no one to spend money in it?

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Rochambeau.4502

Rochambeau.4502

I would suspect that the regular playerbase is declining, just like ti does in every MMO after 4-6 months.

The PvE aspect of the game is very limited – “Dress Up Barbie” progression doesn’t make for much longevity for PvE players.

The PvP/WvW component will keep the game strong, as kitten is never ending market to be tapped.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: chrisk.4320

chrisk.4320

Copies sold is all that matters for this game. Any other metric to gauge success is utterly pointless for a non-subscription game.

Put it this way, the game could have absolutely empty servers but if millions of people were buying the game and then immediately throwing it in the fireplace, it wouldn’t matter. They still sold millions of copies.

Same goes for WoW. They could have 20 million subscribers, but zero players online at all times. They still have 20 million subscribers. That’s all that matters.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

I would suspect that the regular playerbase is declining, just like ti does in every MMO after 4-6 months.

The PvE aspect of the game is very limited – “Dress Up Barbie” progression doesn’t make for much longevity for PvE players.

The PvP/WvW component will keep the game strong, as kitten is never ending market to be tapped.

Well, ANet has stated the exact opposite. They said that one they reached their baseline of post release players, that number has increased. The only other company to do that has been EVE.

Furthermore, your logic of no progession = no players is so very flawed. There once was this company called ArenaNet that made a game called Guild Wars that was based around no vertical progression. They lasted 7 years and were one of the most successful online PC games ever sold.

But, nice try.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: BioFringe.7945

BioFringe.7945

With all due respect, this is misleading information. The reason is because the news is the game sold 3 million copies from launch until a specific date. That cannot be compared to any other MMO for one reason. The reason is because the company offered “PRE-PURCHASE” of the game and is including those numbers in their sold copies. The other gaming companies didn’t offer that but only pre-orders which aren’t considered part of the sold numbers. Pre-purchase of Guild Wars 2 opened on April 10, 2012 which is at least 4 months prior to game launch.

Also remember, the game was offered to be completely refunded to anyone that bought the game. We don’t know what those numbers are for the people that took the refund.

I’m confused as to the difference between Pre-Order and Pre-Purchase. Once the game launches the Pre-Orders are filled and count as sales…just like Pre-Purchases would count towards the sales. In the end, the sales totals are from launch…not from when they started taking Pre-Orders or Pre-Purchases.

Can someone link this GW2 is the fastest selling mmo? Everything I see by google is saying that SWTOR is the fastest sellling mmo.

Read the thread…all the links are here as well as an explanation as to why you’re seeing what you’re seeing via your Google search.

This sentence is false.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

Copies sold is all that matters for this game. Any other metric to gauge success is utterly pointless for a non-subscription game.

Put it this way, the game could have absolutely empty servers but if millions of people were buying the game and then immediately throwing it in the fireplace, it wouldn’t matter. They still sold millions of copies.

Same goes for WoW. They could have 20 million subscribers, but zero players online at all times. They still have 20 million subscribers. That’s all that matters.

You forget this game has other revenue streams than just copies sold. Otherwise, your point would be valid.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I think that exactly 3,141,592 people play this game.

How Many Play GW2?

BioFringe.7945

I concur

This sentence is false.

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

I concur

I wanted to answer but your signature completely kittened my head up and now I’m drooling a little bit. What are we talking about? XD

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

US Servers
Very High – 21
High – 1
Medium – 2

EU Servers
Very High – 12
High – 1
Medium – 14

This was looked up during US early prime time and during EU night time in the middle of the week, thats nothing to go after.

Server population changes when people log off, the reason why some big guild logged off in masses to get certain immigrating guilds onto their server. So if you get these result during US early prime time its not suprising. Check between 1400 – 2000 CET and CST and compare the results, since those would be more accurate.

People claim server population doesnt indicate players, but it does. It indicates players online, and servers have a higher limit than they had at release, the limit has increased gradually since release. Some servers also have a much higher population now. Just that the EU list doesnt have “low” servers anymore is a good indicator. Low have turned into medium, medium into large and so on. I’m on a former medium now high server myself, that is now in EU T1 and kicking as.

I wouldnt be suprised if there is a million or more playing.

And whoever claimed WoW servers were capped at 1500 per faction on “full” servers… No not even close. I wouldnt believe its below 5k on a full server per faction.

This was actually a heavy discussion in ToR, about how small and incapable the ToR servers were compared to WoW. 10k players on a full WoW servers was the common conclussion. What was full in ToR was medium in WoW. A reason so many wanted BioWare to reduce the servers so there would be a higher population. I was on a very heavy ToR server myself, it was a freaking ghost town.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

People claim server population doesnt indicate players, but it does. It indicates players online, and servers have a higher limit than they had at release, the limit has increased gradually since release. Some servers also have a much higher population now.

This is wrong, as confirmed by ANet:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

How Many Play GW2?

BioFringe.7945

People claim server population doesnt indicate players, but it does. It indicates players online, and servers have a higher limit than they had at release, the limit has increased gradually since release. Some servers also have a much higher population now.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Server-Populations/first#post703192

Not to burst anyone’s bubble here but that quote doesn’t really say one way or another. Especially if you take it in context of the original question…

“What does it actually mean when the server populations says “High” or “Full.” Does ANet go by the number of people CURRENTLY on said server, or by the number of accounts MADE on said server.”

Oh, and thanks for the signature comment…I think.

This sentence is false.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: jobah.7241

jobah.7241

GW2 lost many players from beginning and continue losing because arenanet does not trying to balancing populations of the servers. I know the balancing is most hardest part of maintaining of all MMORPG. And for arenanet stop making events, events can’t take back players, can’t truly hold players.

So you are saying that ArenaNet are lying when they say there has been a steady increase in active players since december?

Maybe you dont like ArenaNet, but there is absolutely no reason to think that a serious company would lie publicly about such things. There is simply too much at stake.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Not to burst anyone’s bubble here but that quote doesn’t really say one way or another. Especially if you take it in context of the original question…

“What does it actually mean when the server populations says “High” or “Full.” Does ANet go by the number of people CURRENTLY on said server, or by the number of accounts MADE on said server.”

It goes by the number of accounts currently residing on the server, not current players. It only fluctuates if someone deletes their account on the server or transfers. Guesting has no impact.

How Many Play GW2?

BioFringe.7945

It goes by the number of accounts currently residing on the server, not current players. It only fluctuates if someone deletes their account on the server or transfers. Guesting has no impact.

That quote was from before guesting so that doesn’t matter.

I personally see it the other way around but that’s through my own experience, which is exactly what everyone else has to go by when drawing conclusions in this matter as that quote and everything else that any other devs has ever said on the subject is ambiguous at best.

EDIT: I’d love to test this for ourselves though. It wouldn’t be difficult. Just organize a mass log-off of everyone on a given server and see if the population indicator drops down a level. I’m sure we could get enough people to agree to a 10 minute simple test.

This sentence is false.

(edited by BioFringe.7945)

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

Exactly. Thank you.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

The answer is complete and takes into account guesting. It says accounts who reside there or who have moved there. Guesting is neither of these.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: jobah.7241

jobah.7241

Since there are no official numbers there are likely less then 10% of the people that bought the game actually still playing it.

If it were any impressive amount of people then ArenaNet would be publishing the numbers far and wide.

So I’d say under 100’000, probably more like 20’000-50’000 regular players.

You can guesstimate the number of players roughly by the amount of WvW worlds: there are currently about 50 worlds with likely no more then a few thousand players in total (maybe even less). Not sure how many players fit on a single world but at least in the case of WOW a “full” shard has about 1’500 players per faction maximum.

But anyway… no numbers from the devs = it’s not going well. Otherwise they’d be hyping it to attract more investors for their future products and expansions etc.

This is the greatest and most intelligent post on the forum. I’ll go even further. My guess is there is no more than 127 regular players. And 126 of them are in fact bots.

Oh no, Im the only one left. I guess ill just travel to the claw of Jormag and take him down alone…

How Many Play GW2?

clay.7849

That quote was from before guesting so that doesn’t matter.

I personally see it the other way around but that’s through my own experience, which is exactly what everyone else has to go by when drawing conclusions in this matter as that quote and everything else that any other devs has ever said on the subject is ambiguous at best.

EDIT: I’d love to test this for ourselves though. It wouldn’t be difficult. Just organize a mass log-off of everyone on a given server and see if the population indicator drops down a level. I’m sure we could get enough people to agree to a 10 minute simple test.

Check it out immediately following the next patch.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

GW2 lost many players from beginning and continue losing because arenanet does not trying to balancing populations of the servers. I know the balancing is most hardest part of maintaining of all MMORPG. And for arenanet stop making events, events can’t take back players, can’t truly hold players.

So you are saying that ArenaNet are lying when they say there has been a steady increase in active players since december?

No, of course not. You have however to remember what timeframe that information covered – early december to just after the New Year.
Yes, i can believe that the time of the greatest shopping activity (and winter/new year holiday events) meant that the number of players had increased. Steadily even (though of course steady increase might mean that the number of players increased by 1 person every day…).
This does not mean that the trend continued later on. Or that it even restored the server populations to pre-November 15 levels.

We lack any numbers about the population/ We have several very nebulous statements that can be interpreted in many ways. What we don’t have, however, is Anet releasing new optimistic informations about sales or game population.
And if they had such informations, i’m pretty sure they’d use them.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Vasham.2408

Vasham.2408

3 million sales but I’d wager less than 200k active players. There’s a reason reddit called this game their second most regretful game purchase next to Diablo 3.

How Many Play GW2?

Posted by: Rochambeau.4502

Rochambeau.4502

Well, ANet has stated the exact opposite. They said that one they reached their baseline of post release players, that number has increased. The only other company to do that has been EVE.

Furthermore, your logic of no progession = no players is so very flawed. There once was this company called ArenaNet that made a game called Guild Wars that was based around no vertical progression. They lasted 7 years and were one of the most successful online PC games ever sold.

But, nice try.

First, EVE has never released verifiable numbers. That game has been the biggest urban legend in gaming history. Any reference to a subscriber number can be traced back to comments from the developer without any tangible proof.

The last game that published real numbers was DAoC and they eventually stopped doing it.

Now, everyone uses completely subjective “High Medium Low” designations, which can be changed at the whim of the developer.

So, nice try to you too.