How am I supposed to play this game?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

I am already finished with this game overall. I paid for it, therefore, I will still occasionally log on, or read forums. But overall, I can’t do it any longer, nor will I purchase any future Anet titles.

I play games because I am given the freedom to play them as I enjoy playing them. I feel like GW2 is taking back to pre-school. Being told what I can do and how often I can do it. I am forced to play it like THEY want me to.

I can understand if it included exploits, but seriously, come on. Stop limiting peoples enjoyment of the game only based on what YOU feel we should be doing. Telling people how they can play, and what they can do when they play…it is bad business in the gaming world.

And to those saying there’s a lot to do….there may be, for YOU. Everyone enjoys playing games differently, that’s the joy of them. The complaints here are that those of us who enjoy one way, are being forced to play it another way. If you enjoy the game, then go play it. I for one refuse to play a game where I am limited in what I can do to enjoy it.

This is why we can’t have nice things.
Game Designer: Ok we made a game that gives you freedom. Have fun!
Player: This sucks, there’s not enough to do and I’m level 80 and no one else is here
Game Designer: Alright no problem, we added some mechanics a long the way to help slow you down and enjoy the game more
Player: WTF! I’m still level 20 after 3 days! This game sucks!
Game Designer: Ok…..
EA: We got this

Oh I forgot to add The Secret World example.
Funcom: Literally do whatever you want. Whatever. You. Want. with your class.
Player: Why does my character die so much? This game is unbalanced and sucks.
Funcom: kitten

Dont you have to pay subscription for that also?

Coz pistols + chaos magic sounds fun

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I had to stop playing because of this. I log in now and try to think of something productive to do and, well, there is nothing, farm for mats for a few hours…nope, farm some events….nope, run some instances…nope, so i find myself standing in one spot trolling the chat window, this isn’t fun at all.

^This

WTH is the point of playing in 30min increments. So much for paying for a game to play. GG ANET….. GG

To the nay sayers: Hit 80, lvl up your crafting, try for a legendary, try to make some gold, and then get back to us.

I have an 80. I also have 6 alts and 5 capped crafting disciplines. The only thing these changes have done is increase the time it takes to get the materials to make a legendary. SO WHAT? At the pace people were going, legendaries were going to be as common as gold sellers. Now it’s going to take that much more time, that much more patience and that much more perseverance to acquire them. That means fewer of them. And I’m A-OK with that.

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

AGAIN, THE ONLY WAY THEY WILL EVER GO AWAY IS IF PEOPLE STOP BUYING THE GOLD FROM THEM!

And no it was not Yak’s bend…it was something with Wood in the name.

Not the only way,

a list of IP locations, a strike team equipped with castration tools and diplomatic immunity is a sure fire way to stop it.

I’m volunteering for this mission! But can we just execute them instead? Screaming disturbs my delicate sensibilities.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Posted by: Naughty.5064

Naughty.5064

Basically it works like this. I have a life, a job, a wife, and kids. There may be times that I am unable to get online and play. Now lets say its a Saturday afternoon, and I want to play for several hours to make up time I missed during the week. The way things are right now in GW2, I can not do that. Because once I play for an hour, I am capped on what I get for the effort.

So in a way, I can not play this game how I want to. I can not get online one day and play for several hours doing something I enjoy doing because Anet has decided that’s not the way they want their game to work.

So for those who use the argument “So you want things right now?” I say this is, it is NOT about wanting and getting right now…it is about playing the game like I want to or enjoy doing. It is not a good long term business decision to limit/prevent players from playing as their life allows them to.

(edited by Naughty.5064)

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

If you’re moving around as much as you say you are you shouldn’t be affected by the imposed limitations to begin with, exception is maybe the DE cap. But how much karma do you really need to accumulate in a day to make yourself happy?

I personally need over 550,000karma just for the obsidian shards I need for just one aspect of the legendary I am working towards. At roughly 379karma per DE….. thats 1452 DEs needed. Now throw in the diminishing returns, remind me again why I am getting diminishing returns when I need such an obscene number of events just for ONE ingame goal? Even if I managed to do 100 DEs a day, it will still take me 14.52 days just to accomplish that one goal, to make one item, which is only one step of many to complete a legendary.

Its asinine, period, the end, there is no argument for it, no amount of fanboying can defend the decision to limit game play.

See why’d you have to go and ruin a perfectly reasonable post with “fanboying.” That being said, completing a legendary isn’t meant to be a matter of a few weeks. It’s meant to be completed over months. If gating players via Karma accomplishes that, does that not preserve the “sanctity” of owning a legendary in the long run?

(edited by Tradewind.6913)

Posted by: Rieselle.5079

Rieselle.5079

ANet wants you to go to all the different zones and play with all of the content, not just run the same areas over and over. That’s why the downlevel system is in place, and that’s why repeated farming is penalised.

The lower level zones are too easy, even when downleveled? Try equipping lvl1 white gear, to give yourself a challenge.

Lower level zones don’t give enough reward? But GW2 is a game where’s there’s not really that much to spend the rewards on. What’s the point of chasing ingame stuff when it’s designed to not matter?

ANet also wants you to try PvP when you are max level.

Ultimately, it comes down to this: Do you enjoy the moment to moment gameplay, the combat, events, dungeons, etc of GW2? If so, you can keep playing any zone.

If you don’t enjoy those things, and the only thing that kept you going till level 80 was the next level, the next unexplored area, the next 100% zone completion, then there’s literally nothing for you to do until more content comes out. And this is by design, because GW2 isn’t intended to cater to that kind of player.

As for those dungeon armours and other ridiculously expensive skins, you’re supposed to be playing many areas for fun, and accruing the stuff you need coincidentally along the way. In a year or so you happen to get enough to buy a nice reward.

This is how ANet wants you to play the game.

(edited by Rieselle.5079)

Posted by: Hyral.4168

Hyral.4168

Wait, what did ANet change recently? Everyone’s being really vague in this thread. I just hit 80 recently, but I want to know what’s wrong with farming monsters. I move around plenty, as well as chat, it’s not like I could be mistaken for a bot…

Posted by: GrimShade.8091

GrimShade.8091

ANet wants you to go to all the different zones and play with all of the content, not just run the same areas over and over. That’s why the downlevel system is in place, and that’s why repeated farming is penalised.

If A-Net truely wants us to go all over the map they should lower the waypoint costs. We are getting mixed messages. Hey don’t waypoint all over the place because it will cost you more than you can handle. But don’t stay in the same place either…

Rizzy.8293

What the hell are you guys talking about? Go explore. Go quest. Meet new races. Go to a different city or something. Meet new people and go to a meta-event dungeon if you want something harder before level 30. Please do not ruin GW2 for the rest of us.

Id rather kill them in PVP actually
PVE: Nothing for me here. OOOH WELL
70 bucks for a pvp game.

Have you actually tried the PVP side of things. Try being on the losing side when one of the opposing teams controls 95% of the map AND has the 3 orb buff (15% hp, and +150 stats). When it is literally beating your head on a wall just trying to get 200 feet past a waypoint, and Knowing that you still have a WEEK of this insanity until you can try again.

wvwvw??
Nah only the sPVP its like their old random arena without the worry for a healer to come on your team

plus in sPVP you can see people who use the zerg technique suffer losses.

The problem with WvWvW is the terrain. It allows zerging to be effective.
Most paths are small enough that a large enough AOE coming from multiple sources can disorient and overwhelm a smaller zerg party, You might aswell just make it so everyone in wvwvw is a ele and has perma tornado form thats what it feels like.

So yeah I’m avoiding that, Look at Dark Age of Camelot’s wvwvw or should I say Realm Vs Realm terrain makes it so that zerging is ineffective, you form a zerg group, another group can easily move away from you.
Realm vs Realm in DaoC people organize themselves to do frontline backline and skirmish

You try zerging one or 2 people in sPVP you get what? 10 – 20 points while the rest of their group completely avoids your group and caps 2 of your areas for 40 points a piece?

Tradewind.6913

If A-Net truely wants us to go all over the map they should lower the waypoint costs. We are getting mixed messages. Hey don’t waypoint all over the place because it will cost you more than you can handle. But don’t stay in the same place either…

Waypoints are an optional luxury. They said to explore the world, not “hop around small areas with a mouse click.” I still find it unfathomable that people can’t keep up with their waypoint costs naturally by just playing the game.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

The anti-farming code does get frustrating when you are trying to gather materials to level up your crafting skills. I’m just making level 80 rare armor and having a difficult time gathering stuff. I am somewhat dreading what I’ll have to do to get exotics.

More level 70 – 80 or 80 zones would definitely help alleviate this problem.

(edited by Rpgtabbycat.5869)

Posted by: Viking.1950

Viking.1950

some people find farming enjoyable, and if you find a decent place to farm mats that are needed for <insert whatever reason here> it shouldn’t be prohibited just because they want to limit bot use.

I know an unpopular, yet useful solution for this would be to have ANet spam a code to the player every hour they seem to be farming and have them reproduce that code back to them within 30 seconds.

Asking a question like a simple arithmetic question would be great. But it would need to suspend the timer while you are in combat. And if they use the almost impossible to read scans of captcha I will drop this game in a heartbeat. captcha makes me cuss.

Tradewind.6913

The anti-farming code does get frustrating when you are trying to gather materials to level up your crafting skills. I’m just making level 80 rare armor and having a difficult time gathering stuff. I am somewhat dreading what I’ll have to do to get exotics.

The anti farming code is very basic, all you need to do is move to another area after some time. It’s meant to trap simple bots literally running in a circle farming materials. Just don’t linger.

Rizzy.8293

Wait, what did ANet change recently? Everyone’s being really vague in this thread. I just hit 80 recently, but I want to know what’s wrong with farming monsters. I move around plenty, as well as chat, it’s not like I could be mistaken for a bot…

Hay welcome to level 80 group.
Umm also now you’re gonna have a harder time to get your level 80 base exotic gear unless you earned 20g getting to 80

And um the farming will sooner or later think you’re a bot.

Also dungeon runing story mode gives you 3 silvers now and your repair bills are still gonna be high.

Way pointing…. heh I hope you like walking buddy

But HAY! welcome to being 80! nice to meet you

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I agree that some people (or some people sometimes) enjoy farming. You can get into a pleasant trance-like state doing the same thing again and again – into the “zone”. (You are also often refining your rotation at the same time, trying to get it sweet and perfect.)

Probably some happy medium has to be found. From what I’ve been reading of peoples’ reactions, the changes were perhaps a bit too draconian (harr harr).

Posted by: Lysidian.4653

Lysidian.4653

See why’d you have to go and ruin a perfectly reasonable post with “fanboying.” That being said, completing a legendary isn’t meant to be a matter of a few weeks. It’s meant to be completed over months. If gating players via Karma accomplishes that, does that not preserve the “sanctity” of owning a legendary in the long run?

Its a generalization, don’t take it personally.

Even without the scripts and diminishing returns, even playing balls to the wall 10+ hours a day, knowing where to go and what to do, its still gonna take months to make a legendary. My gripe is not with how long or how much effort it takes to accomplish a legendary.

My beef is with effort = reward.

Right now its “more effort = less reward”

Though I just vastly simplified the problem, the scripts and diminishing returns are intended to combat botting. However they are having a very negative impact on legitimate players game experiences. In my particular case and experience, I cant play for more than 30mins before I start to get penalized for playing. I have tried various remedies including but not limited to changing spots, maps, mob types, activities, tactics, and characters.

Should I be penalized because I am fast, effective, or efficient at killing mobs/participating in DEs/completing dungeons?

All for the supposed sake of combating Bots/gold farmers/exploiters…?

Once I get hit with the script/diminishing returns why should I have to stop playing because further effort rewards nothing? Just what am I supposed to do if I cant play how I wanted to or planned to (legitimately)? Why should I be pigeon holed into doing something I dont wanna do? Why cant I play my way, on my time? Why can I only play 30mins before Anet effectively takes away any incentive to continue to play for at least the next 45mins? Why am I being penalized for the actions of others (bots)?

Until someone receiving a pay check from ANET can answer those questions, I am going to continue to rage over this issue.

(edited by Lysidian.4653)

Tradewind.6913

What would be the alternative though? Everyone wants their cake and to eat it too here. Without really considering the alternative. Had they done nothing about the exploitation of resources in this game. I’m of a mind that this is a temporary thing anyway. Until a more elegant solution can be derived. But I can’t say it’s ever really impacted me any. I guess we play this game very differently. Which is why I get upset when people start using words like “everyone,” not you specifically. But really, in this case ANet couldn’t win, but at least this solution has less long term issues, if it does prove to be temporary as I believe it to be.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

Basically it works like this. I have a life, a job, a wife, and kids. There may be times that I am unable to get online and play. Now lets say its a Saturday afternoon, and I want to play for several hours to make up time I missed during the week. The way things are right now in GW2, I can not do that. Because once I play for an hour, I am capped on what I get for the effort.

So in a way, I can not play this game how I want to. I can not get online one day and play for several hours doing something I enjoy doing because Anet has decided that’s not the way they want their game to work.

So for those who use the argument “So you want things right now?” I say this is, it is NOT about wanting and getting right now…it is about playing the game like I want to or enjoy doing. It is not a good long term business decision to limit/prevent players from playing as their life allows them to.

You can play as long as you like. You just can’t farm the same thing over and over and over again.

Lysidian.4653

What would be the alternative though? Everyone wants their cake and to eat it too here. Without really considering the alternative. Had they done nothing about the exploitation of resources in this game. I’m of a mind that this is a temporary thing anyway. Until a more elegant solution can be derived. But I can’t say it’s ever really impacted me any. I guess we play this game very differently. Which is why I get upset when people start using words like “everyone,” not you specifically. But really, in this case ANet couldn’t win, but at least this solution has less long term issues, if it does prove to be temporary as I believe it to be.

Active policing for Bots, shoring up the code to prevent and detect bots/spammers/cheaters, better account security features (authenticators? randomized key pad codes? IP locking / confirmations). There are SOOOOOO many other ways to deal with this situation. Sticking it to the paying customer because of a lazy bandaid fix is a BS move, but they already got our money so no lost sleep on ANET’s part right?

This is not likely to be temporary, as very similar systems exist to this day in GW1. From Anet’s perspective, I imagine this was a cheap and proven option for them considering the alternatives. Unforunately they have our money and unless the population rises up, its unlikely to change or change by much. But thats just my take on it.

Rizzy.8293

You can play as long as you like. You just can’t farm the same thing over and over and over again.

And you dont see this as a problem?

Posted by: Gray.9650

Gray.9650

I personally need over 550,000karma just for the obsidian shards I need for just one aspect of the legendary I am working towards. At roughly 379karma per DE….. thats 1452 DEs needed. Now throw in the diminishing returns, remind me again why I am getting diminishing returns when I need such an obscene number of events just for ONE ingame goal? Even if I managed to do 100 DEs a day, it will still take me 14.52 days just to accomplish that one goal, to make one item, which is only one step of many to complete a legendary.

if you don’t get karma anymore, use the gold to buy them on the TP. if you don’t get gold anymore.. well, you can buy them with gems.

how dare you trying to get all the mats yourself’!

“hi, this is arena, we developed gw2 for over 5 years and had a lot of success with our first title, gw1 as well. so please bear with us if we act like a 3 man indie devstudio and can’t get our basic endgame design and progression right even with a special economist on the payroll”

the people that have a problem with it now are you in a month. maybe you play 30-60 minutes a day only where you don’t encounter any limitations dictated by the game yet, which is fine. maybe you don’t want a legendary and you’re fine with spvp or pushing 10+ chars to 80 to see every story and enjoy the world. but when you’ve seen everything several times, and after the majority already moved to another game because it’s better entertainment – what are YOU going to do?

Tradewind.6913

That’s a lot of generalizations on things that you can’t possibly know.

Gray.9650

now, it’s actually quite easy to figure out when you claim you haven’t encountered the DR system yet.

Tradewind.6913

now, it’s actually quite easy to figure out when you claim you haven’t encountered the DR system yet.

I said it hasn’t affected me, that’s not the same as I have not encountered it. The difference is that I just don’t care all that much. I make my gold by other means and fill my time with activities that don’t involve farming for inordinate amounts of time. Leveling alts, hopping between dragon spawns, playing the trading post etc.

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

And you dont see this as a problem?

Not really, no.

Look, Anet like all developers has a “timeframe” in which they expect players to be able to achieve certain goals in the game. These systems are designed to slow you down. Simple as that.

Lysidian.4653

I said it hasn’t affected me, that’s not the same as I have not encountered it. The difference is that I just don’t care all that much. I make my gold by other means and fill my time with activities that don’t involve farming for inordinate amounts of time. Leveling alts, hopping between dragon spawns, playing the trading post etc.

Just curious, not attacking you or anything, but why is your play time choices ok, and mine are not?

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

ZOMG U don’t farm?! But dat’s teh only way to play a MMO!!!!

I haven’t been touched by the anti-farm stuff either. I love how I can just go out on some longkitten romp from one side of a map to the other (adventuring? Like… an adventure game? What?!) doing DE’s as I go, and make more money and karma than the “hardcores” sitting at Pentinent for 10+ attack events in a row.

This game is freakin’ wonderful.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Tradewind.6913

Just curious, not attacking you or anything, but why is your play time choices ok, and mine are not?

I never said they weren’t. I’m just remarking at the irrational nature of these discussions and offering alternatives. As well as alternative viewpoints, I don’t presume to judge or say that one is right or wrong. If you got that impression I apologize.

DusK.3849

Because the kinds of farming that they nerfed were low-risk/low-effort and high reward until they did something about it.

The only reason people are complaining is because ANet basically turned off free karma fountains. That really is what it boiled down to.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Lysidian.4653

The only reason people are complaining is because ANet basically turned off free karma fountains. That really is what it boiled down to.

Credible until this part, if you are not going to bother reading the thread, why post?

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I agree with the dungeon changes and any changes that fix EASY ways to gain. The whole shard run instance shortcutting thing is cheese. Nobody needs armor skins or legendaries – they should be earned, and not in the first week the game is out.

But, screwing over people who are actually spending TIME playing is lame. There’s a difference between trying to screw over and shortcut the game and actually playing the game. A person out gathering or slaughtering mobs to try to get mats isn’t shortcutting anything. People running events in zones that ONLY HAVE EVENTS … how can they be shortcutting?

Plus, there are bots everywhere that aren’t getting dealt with, so adding lame ways to deal with some types of bots that screw over players isn’t a great solution.

It seems really whacked to reduce rewards in the orr zones for people repeating events. Events are the only thing going on in those zones. This is the dumbest thing I’ve heard of.

I do think the whole zerg thing is cheesey and lame but reducing the rewards isn’t the answer, properly scaling encounters so that zergs can’t obliterate champs in 30 seconds without anyone getting downed is the answer. Make those champs something more than tank and spanks. The reason people do a circuit of 5 events is because they’re stupid easy.

Crafting in this game can take stupid amounts of blue poo (as I call it, the rare stuff) and if players want to obtain that stuff themselves they shouldn’t be punished for spending time doing that.

There’s a difference between a player doing that type of farming manually, actually playing the game, for a few hours here and there, and a bot that’s doing it 24/7 for days on end via scripting. Surely you have data logs and metrics whereby bot behavior is insanely obvious. I’m sure I could write code that could isolate bots based on data and behavior. No players go login every x minutes (when nodes repop) 24/7 every day. No players stay logged in at the same spot 24/7 killing the same mob nonstop. C’mon.

You expect players to try to take the easy way out of everything. I expect ANet to put a little more effort into bot control and handling the economy without sucking ALL fun out of the game.

Posted by: Marmalade.9750

Marmalade.9750

If you are bored with PvE and what it’s giving you as reward – why not try WvW.

Lysidian.4653

I agree with the dungeon changes and any changes that fix EASY ways to gain. The whole shard run instance shortcutting thing is cheese. Nobody needs armor skins or legendaries – they should be earned, and not in the first week the game is out.

But, screwing over people who are actually spending TIME playing is lame. There’s a difference between trying to screw over and shortcut the game and actually playing the game. A person out gathering or slaughtering mobs to try to get mats isn’t shortcutting anything. People running events in zones that ONLY HAVE EVENTS … how can they be shortcutting?

Plus, there are bots everywhere that aren’t getting dealt with, so adding lame ways to deal with some types of bots that screw over players isn’t a great solution.

It seems really whacked to reduce rewards in the orr zones for people repeating events. Events are the only thing going on in those zones. This is the dumbest thing I’ve heard of.

I do think the whole zerg thing is cheesey and lame but reducing the rewards isn’t the answer, properly scaling encounters so that zergs can’t obliterate champs in 30 seconds without anyone getting downed is the answer. Make those champs something more than tank and spanks. The reason people do a circuit of 5 events is because they’re stupid easy.

Crafting in this game can take stupid amounts of blue poo (as I call it, the rare stuff) and if players want to obtain that stuff themselves they shouldn’t be punished for spending time doing that.

There’s a difference between a player doing that type of farming manually, actually playing the game, for a few hours here and there, and a bot that’s doing it 24/7 for days on end via scripting. Surely you have data logs and metrics whereby bot behavior is insanely obvious. I’m sure I could write code that could isolate bots based on data and behavior. No players go login every x minutes (when nodes repop) 24/7 every day. No players stay logged in at the same spot 24/7 killing the same mob nonstop. C’mon.

You expect players to try to take the easy way out of everything. I expect ANet to put a little more effort into bot control and handling the economy without sucking ALL fun out of the game.

Well stated view : ) I agree.

Lysidian.4653

If you are bored with PvE and what it’s giving you as reward – why not try WvW.

Who is bored with PvE?

Personally I spend a fair amount of time doing WvW. Curse Fort Alpine and their oceanic players.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

basically, it goes like this: ANet delivers a product based on core values and manifesto —> product aims to please those tired of old MMo mechanics —> you like the product, you play; if you dont like the product, you dont play. they dont want you to grind. they dont want you to get legendaries and exotics like theyre nothin. they want the market to matter.

youre basically looking for an excuse to rant about core game features. if you dont like it, try Pandas.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

DusK.3849

Credible until this part, if you are not going to bother reading the thread, why post?

I did read it. I came up on this part:

Now throw in the diminishing returns

And knew you were talking about same-event farming, because that doesn’t happen to people that do different DE’s as they play the game. So yes, I’m correct; you’re complaining that ArenaNet turned off a low-risk/low-effort, high reward karma fountain. Spread out, do different events, find different things to do instead of sitting in one spot doing the same event over and over, and those diminishing returns will disappear.

Lysidian.4653

And knew you were talking about same-event farming, because that doesn’t happen to people that do different DE’s as they play the game. So yes, I’m correct; you’re complaining that ArenaNet turned off a low-risk/low-effort, high reward karma fountain. Spread out, do different events, find different things to do instead of sitting in one spot doing the same event over and over, and those diminishing returns will disappear.

Not at all. I typically start with the escort to penetant, defend, move to the next outpost, defend, move to the next and defend, defend melandru, go do grenth or arah if they are active. By the time I am halfway through with the second defend, the loot has already dropped off. Only takes one more DE of anything after the second defend and the karma is dropping off. Bad design or combating bots. Take your pick. But thats just my experience.

Rizzy.8293

Not at all. I typically start with the escort to penetant, defend, move to the next outpost, defend, move to the next and defend, defend melandru, go do grenth or arah if they are active. By the time I am halfway through with the second defend, the loot has already dropped off. Only takes one more DE of anything after the second defend and the karma is dropping off. Bad design or combating bots. Take your pick. But thats just my experience.

He likes having his opinion heard

And yup its a very bad design for combating bots.
Because bots can teleport places, they dont really farm DE, well the gold bots anyways they want resources to sell at marketplace for profit, they’re node hunters.

What GW2 has done is make it so that you suffer for killing mobs but BOTs that are programmed for hunting nodes arent effected.

Once they realize this, node drops will be significantly diminished too.

DusK.3849

That’s very odd, considering I do the same thing in several areas of the game and the karma gain stays the same the whole time.

Gray.9650

hu? isn’t that what I said? you might not be affected by it now, but even you will feel the repercussions later if they stick to it. like doing that dragon spawn if only 3 people bother to show up because the rest has DR on drops and karma.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

the DR system has not affected me at all either. if it means dragon bosses are done less frequently, then fine. theyre not really meant to be “farmed”.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Gray.9650

So yes, I’m correct; you’re complaining that ArenaNet turned off a low-risk/low-effort, high reward karma fountain. Spread out, do different events, find different things to do instead of sitting in one spot doing the same event over and over, and those diminishing returns will disappear.

I got hit by it in straits doing the southern invasion from start to the landing and the cathedral part twice. I don’t think you can do events more normally.

nice theory tho.

Gray.9650

the DR system has not affected me at all either. if it means dragon bosses are done less frequently, then fine. theyre not really meant to be “farmed”.

no? even if arena touts that as part of their “endgame”? interesting.

it also doesn’t mean people farm dragon spawns specifically

Tradewind.6913

hu? isn’t that what I said? you might not be affected by it now, but even you will feel the repercussions later if they stick to it. like doing that dragon spawn if only 3 people bother to show up because the rest has DR on drops and karma.

No, you made an assumption that I’m only playing the game for 30 minutes at a time and have no goals like legendaries based on misinterpreting my comment on how the diminishing returns have not affected me yet. If you were perhaps referring to the royal “you” and not me specifically you might want to have clarified that, since you were quoting me directly in your response.

Posted by: mykx.9562

mykx.9562

I got hit with the anti farming code while lvl a new toon. Yeah I repeated some events while going from heart to heart and to merchants but wasnt try to farm. A DE pops up while Im doing a lvl 6 heart so I do it and get 2 karma and 1 little copper for gold medal when was getting 50 karma and like 30 copper for gold medal. I was having such fun with norn start area but I dont understand why I got punished for playing the game.

I have a post called 2 karma 1 copper with screen shot but I post here as well. Getting such bad reward for gold medal was like slap to face.

Attachments:

Posted by: Spawn.7014

Spawn.7014

play the game the way they want you too.

meaning dont play very much and buy gems.

Gray.9650

No, you made an assumption that I’m only playing the game for 30 minutes at a time and have no goals like legendaries based on misinterpreting my comment on how the diminishing returns have not affected me yet.

seems either you didn’t want to or couldn’t see the “maybe” and the several scenarios I provided.

either way, going around “y u mad?” just because it doesn’t affect you YET is quite shortsighted. you might have found alternatives that are entertaining for you, for others these alternatives aren’t. so the question how this game is supposed to be played if the message is “either play as you’re supposed to or suffer the consequences” is still valid, especially given the fact that arena wants people to play (and in effect buy their gems/expansions).

Lysidian.4653

I got hit with the anti farming code while lvl a new toon. Yeah I repeated some events while going from heart to heart and to merchants but wasnt try to farm. A DE pops up while Im doing a lvl 6 heart so I do it and get 2 karma and 1 little copper for gold medal when was getting 50 karma and like 30 copper for gold medal. I was having such fun with norn start area but I dont understand why I got punished for playing the game.

I have a post called 2 karma 1 copper with screen shot but I post here as well. Getting such bad reward for gold medal was like slap to face.

Ouch

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

There are hundreds of quests and events in game. There’s plenty of PvP to be had. It’s not ANet’s fault you’re limiting your play experience to grinding mats for legendaries then grinding the same event over and over ad nauseum.

Man, I pine for the old days of UO when people actually roleplayed and made their own events. Nothing any company has done since can compare to some of the player made events I experienced in that game. If I had a time machine, I’d go back in time and stop Richard Garriott from getting into bed with EA.

WoW really kittened up the mindset of MMO players. People have become so hyperfocused on getting a reward, they’ve forgotten how to play a game for fun. MMO’s have become nothing but pretty looking Skinner boxes filled with addicts seeking their next fix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reward_system

This is what Blizzard has done to you. Read it and free your mind.

(edited by Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806)

Tradewind.6913

No, you made an assumption that I’m only playing the game for 30 minutes at a time and have no goals like legendaries based on misinterpreting my comment on how the diminishing returns have not affected me yet.

seems either you didn’t want to or couldn’t see the “maybe” and the several scenarios I provided.

either way, going around “y u mad?” just because it doesn’t affect you YET is quite shortsighted. you might have found alternatives that are entertaining for you, for others these alternatives aren’t. so the question how this game is supposed to be played if the message is “either play as you’re supposed to or suffer the consequences” is still valid, especially given the fact that arena wants people to play (and in effect buy their gems/expansions).

Naw, if I was going the route of “y u mad?!” you have permission to shoot me. Just adding an opinion and alternative viewpoints. At this juncture it’s just agree to disagree and it sucks that you guys feel that way and I can’t help. /shrug