How can people buy legendaries

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Renegade.6240

Renegade.6240

I mean, they cost about 4 thousand golds,
I made a little calculation, You get about 9 gold and 70 silver for 100 gems, and you can buy 8000 gems for 100 dollars, if you turn all your 100 dollar worth gems into gold you get less than 80*(fail, check edit) gold, which can’t even make 2% of the money you need.
I’m not a prof tho, made that calculation while listening to music so I may have failed.
What about grinding that much gold ? well I had about 10 gold when I was 80, so that takes a little too much time to grind I guess.
That only leaves crafting… or gold selling place-thingies, I think they’re illegal tho, I almost know nothing about crafting in GW2 sadly, once I grinded about 600 iron, crafted them and the weapon level advanced only 4-6 levels, I stopped crafting that day.

Whatever back to topic well there isn’t much to say left for me, am I wrong ? Is grinding gold easy ? Or crafting ? Or am I right and most people that have flashy gear visited some gold selling thingies ?

Edit : epic calculation fail, you get less than 800 gold, BUT still its a ridiculous amount of money you spend and still you can’t even get the 20% gold by spending ( this is actually wasting ) 100 dollars

Posted by: wiredrawn.7298

wiredrawn.7298

The price of gems -> gold changes frequently so this can be worked.
Do eotm for like a week straight salvage everthing to get a higher magic find to then further salvage rares for the phat lewtz.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crafting_material#Rare_crafting_materials

Convert all that karma you’ve since obtained into gold.

When this becomes utterly boring go around the world collecting phat lewtz resources, fill your collections tab then sell everything.

A lot of people horde for whatever reason, but it’s healthy to periodically gut your collections tab in bank and sell it all.

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

I believe most people buy precursors, not legendaries.

Purchasing a legendary seems like a huge waste of time and resources to me. Seeing as how characters can only make limited amounts of them though, I can partially understand why they are priced like that.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

(edited by Azure The Heartless.3261)

Posted by: Garrisyl.7402

Garrisyl.7402

I don’t really get your initial calculations, so I’ll just do mine.
Current Gem to gold rate is 100 gems = 9g 15s
Current cost of 100 gems is 1.25 USD
1.25 USD = 9g15s
Say you need 3.5k gold for a legendary
3500/9.15 ~382
382×1.25 ~ 428
So it currently cost a little upwards of 400 USD to buy a legendary off tp. This may seem like a lot, but for some people it’s really not that much compared to the hassle of grinding it out ingame. I personally know several people who did this, and one of my best buddies actually bought 5 legendaries (including Eternity) with gems.

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

I assume OP is a new-ish player.

See this is why I think Anet needs to be concerned about nerfing grinding/farming.

Veterans like me, who have played since release, have had many opportunities to make tremendous amounts of gold. We can easily afford all the heritage items like legendaries & meta legendaries, while also being able to afford any new skins or armor sets.

But new players have it hard, as they can only gain gold from events that have been neutered to the point that they pale in comparison to the old gold per hour rates of the past.

Anyways…
How did I make most of my gold? The percentage is split somewhat evenly between farming, speculation and luck.

I stared off with my wealth with successful speculation of items that went up in value. I invested heavily in ancient bones and profited off from that.

After gaining good capital, I made myself a few legendaries. But I also realized that wealth was attainable through farming. I farmed all events you can imagine – and all of them have been nerfed. All that farming netted my 3 more legendaries.

And then after getting settled down with 5 legendaries and tricked out characters, I decided to splurge thousands of gold on gambling for precursors. My count since the start of the game is 10 precursors, half of them Dusks.

So as you can see, wealth generation is a combination of luck and ‘hard’ work. Unfortunately for new players, in order to get luck, you need to do all the ‘hard’ work, which is harder than before.

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Yeah. Because I work 45+ hours per week I don’t have time to map complete but I make enough money that buying a legendary isn’t so bad if a save my morning tea money for a couple months. When I get online and have time I prefer to do content I enjoy rather than grinding for the item I want doing content I don’t enjoy. So that’s how I’d justify it. I haven’t bought a legendary yet, but intend on doing so for my upcoming birthday <3

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well… So much for a legendary being legendary

I’ve seen people with 500 achievement points running around now with Eternity

I got more respect for people in acended gear atm, then for whomever with whatever legendary. Face it, with the legendaries on the TP they are just skins not anything special anymore, except only the price maybe, but anyone doing dungeons AC, Cof and TA each day will be able to spend 4000 gold after a year.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Some people are extremely lucky with drops- I have a friend who mystic forged 3 precursors and got a permanent hair stylist contract in the span of about 5 months. That’s about 6000 gold, without spending a penny on gems. He could buy a legendary. There are people who craft a legendary, have a change of heart and sell it, then purchase the one they want. So there are a few ways to buy one without converting gems to gold.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I earn about 20~30g a day just selling all my item drops on the trading post, and I’m a noob to the game. I’m sure others have far better money making ways

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Lucia The Lightbringer.2568

Lucia The Lightbringer.2568

The fact that you can sell a legendary and not ascended piece of armor/weapon is ridiculous. It takes a lot more time, luck, and patience to make a legendary, and IMO it should be account bound as soon as you make it. Personally I’d be really happy if we could sell ascended items on TP (except trinkets) and keep legendaries account bound, but you know, thats just crazy talk apparently.

You’re not a real dragon. You just look like one around the eyes.
#SkrittBackpacks

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

You want to make gold now? Well the patch starting tomorrow has made the world boss train somewhat lucrative, as the exotic drops from the physical chests have value now due to collections.

Renegade.6240

I earn about 20~30g a day just selling all my item drops on the trading post, and I’m a noob to the game. I’m sure others have far better money making ways

Sorry but I have to say ‘no kitten’ to you, I made about 100 gold in 6 months, spent about 20 and now have 80,

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Sorry but I have to say ‘no kitten’ to you, I made about 100 gold in 6 months, spent about 20 and now have 80,

Selling all item drops on the trading post sounds like it could easily make 20g. I believe him.

Hell, you get a gold and some silver for doing one dungeon a day, you’d be able to make that much in 3 months if you did nothing but one dungeon run a day and logged off.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

wiredrawn.7298

Read my post again, you can easily make 50-75 gold a day, and I don’t even do dungeons.

Renegade.6240

Read my post again, you can easily make 50-75 gold a day, and I don’t even do dungeons.

Yep, I almost do it the way you do but got 2 questions, how can I turn karma into gold and what is phat lewtz

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Yep, I almost do it the way you do but got 2 questions, how can I turn karma into gold and what is phat lewtz

A good Karma into Gold route right now is buying Linen-level Karma gear from specific heart venders, throwing 4 of those items into the Mystic Forge, salvaging the resulting Linen-based armor that comes out, and selling the Linen on the Trading Post.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Cuddy.6247

Cuddy.6247

People don’t typically go buying it all in one day…

Those kind of expenses are best left spread out across several months. If you spent $20 on 1600 gems every month, on average that would be about 144g per month, or 1728g in one year.

With that said, they can buy a Precursor and quite a few materials quite easily to make their Legendary hunt a cakewalk.

No matter how you slice it, a Legendary hunt is a long term goal and should never be something you aim to complete in a day, or even a week.

Combine that with the in-game availability of gold…much easier. I think the gem->gold trade is kind of nice for people who have busy lives, however it shouldn’t be seen as anything more than a footnote or a convenience to the progress already made. It’s easily possible for players to accomplish the same goals without ever spending a dime in real money – granted I imagine those players don’t have the same disposable income unless they won the lottery.

(edited by Cuddy.6247)

wiredrawn.7298

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/208rng/how_to_convert_karma_to_gold/

hehe phat lewtz is my leet speek for things like globs of ectoplasm, ancient bones etc .. also salvaging rare items(yellow) provide em .. exotics either way, salvage or auction house usually it’s sigil or rune will dictate that for you

But also for a day just try it, run eotm all day, follow the horde, capture everything you can kill whatever you can and just loot > salvage, then after a tireless run, hit up your bank sell all the collectibles

(edited by wiredrawn.7298)

Posted by: Maxwell.7843

Maxwell.7843

A lot of people horde for whatever reason, but it’s healthy to periodically gut your collections tab in bank and sell it all.

I would tend to agree, but with the caveat “if you are reasonably sure you aren’t gonna need those mats anytime soon, and if their price seems rather stable”

Otherwise you may end up waste quite some time if you decide to level up a crafting profession. Or you may regret making 10 a week ago knowing that you could have made 15 today…
This last thing is particularly true when saving up for a precursor, since they get more and more expensive and gold loses more and more value. Mats on the other end are more likely to keep up with the inflation, getting more expensive and thus “retaining” more value than gold.

PS: my last point has been better discussed on this tread by several other players.