How is it even possible? Reward system...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Andrius.8254

Andrius.8254

Hello, first I wanted to say I’ve done Tequatl and Triple Trouble events DAILY since their release, and I have got NOTHING from them yet.

No mini teq, no mini wurm, and of course no ascended chests, NOTHING.
How is it possible? the RNG system reward must be broken or something, this is not normal.

A friend started doing Triple Trouble TWO WEEKS ago, and today he has got his second piece of wurmslayer armor.

I’ve read many times that the rng luck seems to be account bound, because you use to see people that gets everything valuable you can get in the game, but you also see people (like me) that does get NOTHING.

I don’t know if it really works different depending on the account. I want to believe the system is just bugged or broken and you will eventually change it or fix it.

Well, I think that’s everything I had to say, I hope you take a look to this soon.

(edited by Andrius.8254)

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

I’m gonna go ahead and call total BS that you’ve done them every single day since release. I would be shocked to find a single human being that has done this.

In any case, the devs have clearly stated on numerous occasions that there is no such thing as lucky or unlucky accounts. That is purely rumor perpetuated by disgruntled players who refuse to believe that the universe isn’t totally fair, or something like that.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Tachyon.5897

Tachyon.5897

Hello, first I wanted to say I’ve done Tequatl and Triple Trouble events DAILY since their release, and I haven’t got NOTHING from them yet.

It could be worse, you could have gotten nothing from them.

All I have to show for Tequatl is a spoon and loads of items thrown into the Mystic Toilet. I haven’t done Triple Trouble yet.

Posted by: Thanathos.2063

Thanathos.2063

1G + 10S spoon + karma + greens and yellows isn’t nothing for those ~15min

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

“haven’t got nothing”

hmmmm…..

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Andrius.8254

“haven’t got nothing”

hmmmm…..

Grammar kittens everywhere.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

OH NOES! RNGESUS SAVE ME!

RNG is RNG?

Not sure what you want. Some people don’t get anything, some people get everything. Welcome to the outliers.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

it could be worse. the event could take gold and items away from you.

Posted by: NTDK.4897

NTDK.4897

I’m gonna go ahead and call total BS that you’ve done them every single day since release. I would be shocked to find a single human being that has done this.

In any case, the devs have clearly stated on numerous occasions that there is no such thing as lucky or unlucky accounts. That is purely rumor perpetuated by disgruntled players who refuse to believe that the universe isn’t totally fair, or something like that.

you clearly dont know of TTS and similar guilds. They do triple wurm daily.
Their kill rate is about 70%
I used to do that daily with them. Then I got lazy.

ign: Larxene Rakushinu
Incoming Quaggans [iQ]

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

RNG is RNG?

Not sure what you want. Some people don’t get anything, some people get everything. Welcome to the outliers.

Nothing in computer programming is truly RANDOM.

That’s a misconception. RNG is the illusion of randomness.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

RNG is RNG?

Everything is the illusion of randomness. If you know all the variables nothing is random.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Varrg.2704

Varrg.2704

wow, people actually defend the abominable RNG in this game. I guess you drones will eat anything.

Andrius.8254

wow, people actually defend the abominable RNG in this game. I guess you drones will eat anything.

To be honest I expected more people to agree with me, I find surprising that so many people defend the rng system.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

We’re not defending it as much as saying no account is flagged to have bad luck. RNG systems will have a minority who don’t get anywhere near as much as average players and another minority who get way more than average.

There have been a multitude of suggestions for how to improve it without getting rid of the draw to the event.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

It’s more like your friend is lucky.

A few of my guildmate get lucky and have more than one teq hoard, most of them arn’t. And they are really active on teq too.

I mean, I do teq often too, I have 207 bone spoon in my bank to show for. And I still dont’ have a teq hoard.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

RNG is RNG?

Everything is the illusion of randomness. If you know all the variables nothing is random.

“Nothing is true, everything is permitted”

You solved the internets!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

The RNG system in this game bites. I’ve had. Few “good” drops but nothing amazing. I never have luck getting what I want in a game. Even if there is an area you can farm for an Item. I’ll never get it. Like the Eternal Blade in GW1. Lost count how many times I did UW. Never got one. They always seemed to drop for other people in my party. But then I’ve never seen a precursor drop. Not for anyone I trust to be telling the truth anyway.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Yep, that’s the problem with RNG: it’s inherently unfair.

Sure, people are right when they say that real life is unfair and you shouldn’t expect more, but video games aren’t real life and shouldn’t be treated as such. Games should be fair or, at the very least, not punitive of effort.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Welcome to the ugly side of DR.

This happened before in the past. Whole dungeon runs on all three paths suddenly stopped dropping a single treasure chest.

When this happened before people didn’t resist it they knew what the culprit was and they demanded it be fixed but I think we need to go a step furter.

DR needs to be removed entirely because when have you ever played a tabletop MMO or a console game and had it retroactively take away the loot you just found?

That’s exactly what DR does in this game, it makes it gone.

Oh and to those who keep saying it’s RNG, RNG actually let’s you get something, it might not be what you want but it’s something. DR makes it so that that something doesn’t exist for you and in the case of their account system, doesn’t exist for your account.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

shrugs it’s the way of RNG.

Examples
One of my guildmates has had 11 precursor drops, I’ve had 2, our guild leader has had 1. everyone else zero.

Another guild mate got enough ascended armour boxes in WvW to fit out her elementalist, in a week.

I got 3 different fractal skins in 5 runs

RNG come and goes

Posted by: Xiahou Mao.9701

Xiahou Mao.9701

You get 2 gold per Tequatl kill, not 1 gold. There’s a second gold piece hidden inside the exotic Dragon Chest, in addition to the more easily seen one looted from the big open world chest.

laokoko.7403

You get 2 gold per Tequatl kill, not 1 gold. There’s a second gold piece hidden inside the exotic Dragon Chest, in addition to the more easily seen one looted from the big open world chest.

I find the rewards really good for 15 minutes.

I usually go do the dishes etc when waiting for teq. So the long wait didn’t bother me.

teq is really easy so dont’ need much time organizing. Wurm on the other hand require a long time to organize.

Posted by: Combat Mania.8517

Combat Mania.8517

I’ve had the same “NADA” issue when I was opening the exotic chest daily… Then it hit me that there should be a better RNG chance with LARGER pool… Since then I’ve saved exotic chests until i have 15 – 20 exotic chests (sorry i don’t have lots of spaces). Then find a decent odd time when there’s no Teq events and open these 15 -20 chests very quickly.

Believe or not, I’ve done this way for last 3 batches and got 5 ascended items and a mini =) These are way more than what I got (0). Not saying this is the fix but doesn’t hurt to try =)

BTW, RNG is RNG… Still no precursor drops from loots or MF =( And I’m the guy with “0” Legendary Sword dropped out of hundreds of FoW chests in GW1…..

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

This happened before in the past. Whole dungeon runs on all three paths suddenly stopped dropping a single treasure chest.

When this happened before people didn’t resist it they knew what the culprit was and they demanded it be fixed but I think we need to go a step furter.

DR needs to be removed entirely because when have you ever played a tabletop MMO or a console game and had it retroactively take away the loot you just found?

Oh and to those who keep saying it’s RNG, RNG actually let’s you get something, it might not be what you want but it’s something. DR makes it so that that something doesn’t exist for you and in the case of their account system, doesn’t exist for your account.

Any chance you could sanitize and then give me your tinfoil hat? I need it for a brisket I’m making tonight. Events like Teq and Wurm do NOT have DR unless you specifically farm those events with a single character who remains parked on that map indefinitely. Also, go read the patch notes about the dungeon changes that removed duplicate chests from dungeons (ie the ones you can get BEFORE you select a path).

Furthermore, how many times do you need devs to come on the forums and say absolutely zero information about your account affects your drops, like, imploding the known universe because you divided by it, zero. Seriously.

Andrius.8254

Furthermore, how many times do you need devs to come on the forums and say absolutely zero information about your account affects your drops, like, imploding the known universe because you divided by it, zero. Seriously.

I know they have said it, but you must admit it’s suspicious that you can see people with many good drops (precursors, ascended, etc), and also people that plays since release but hadn’t get a good drop ever.

Anet should change the actual system to pseudo-random, like dota2:

The Pseudo-random distribution (often shortened to PRD) in DotA refers to the statistical mechanics of how certain probability-based items and abilities work. In true random distribution, every “roll” operates independently, but in PRD, the effect’s chance increases every time it does not happen. In general, PRD is applied to the following types of abilities: Critical Strike, Bash, Damage Block, Chain Lightning, Maim

That way our chance to get something good would increase a little each time we don’t get it, and then reset after you finally get it.

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

To be honest I expected more people to agree with me, I find surprising that so many people defend the rng system.

The rng is this game is terrible as lot of us know. OP, its no worse than playing this game for 27 months & never having a precursor drop. Or throwing 1250 rare & 56 exotic (approx) greatswords in forge consecutively (today) without obtaining a precursor. No doubt many others could share their frustrations over rng.

Andrius.8254

The rng is this game is terrible as lot of us know. OP, its no worse than playing this game for 27 months & never having a precursor drop. Or throwing 1250 rare & 56 exotic (approx) greatswords in forge consecutively (today) without obtaining a precursor. No doubt many others could share their frustrations over rng.

That must be so disappointing, if that happens to me I think I would stop playing for a while.

Posted by: johnnymiller.5968

johnnymiller.5968

That must be so disappointing, if that happens to me I think I would stop playing for a while.

Annoying! Not enough to make stop playing the game though. If I was the only player with this type of luck, perhaps lol.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Any chance you could sanitize and then give me your tinfoil hat? I need it for a brisket I’m making tonight. Events like Teq and Wurm do NOT have DR unless you specifically farm those events with a single character who remains parked on that map indefinitely. Also, go read the patch notes about the dungeon changes that removed duplicate chests from dungeons (ie the ones you can get BEFORE you select a path).

They came on here for 9 whole months telling us that the loot problem we had was all in our heads then too but it turned out to not be. How many times do you have to be mislead whether intentionally or not before you learn when you’re being mislead? Learn is the key word here. It’s happened before twice now. So tell us all again how it’s our imaginations when it’s the same thing three times? yeah….I thought so.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

They came on here for 9 whole months telling us that the loot problem we had was all in our heads then too but it turned out to not be. How many times do you have to be mislead whether intentionally or not before you learn when you’re being mislead? Learn is the key word here. It’s happened before twice now. So tell us all again how it’s our imaginations when it’s the same thing three times? yeah….I thought so.

it’s your imagination.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

There may or may not be an RNG problem, but no one in my guild seems to have experienced it, at least no one I talk to.

Of course, no one in my guild expects to get a precusor drop and only a few have. But we all get periodic exotics, a handful of rares every day.

People expecting to get a precursor are fooling themselves. Anyway at least that complaint should vanish when the expansion comes out.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Anyway at least that complaint should vanish when the expansion comes out.

You’re adorably naive sometimes, Vayne

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

no, people point it out for what it is. And “drones”, Jesus Christ, what enlightened society are you member of, free masons, illuminati or just plain old commie elite?

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

RNG is RNG?

Um quantum physics and the uncertainty principle anyone? :P

How? It’s random, and everyone uses the same randomizing system. There is no advantage that one person has over another. So how is it inherently unfair?

shrugs it’s the way of RNG.

Examples
One of my guildmates has had 11 precursor drops, I’ve had 2, our guild leader has had 1. everyone else zero.

Another guild mate got enough ascended armour boxes in WvW to fit out her elementalist, in a week.

I got 3 different fractal skins in 5 runs

RNG come and goes

Would love to know the play times as well. But yeah, play time simply increases the number of chances not the probability of the chances giving you loot.

Only the first time a day. If you do it on a second or third or fourth character they all get 1g since you won’t get the exotic chest.

The rng is this game is terrible as lot of us know.

RNG is RNG, it is neither better than worse than other games (there are games however that use pseudo-RNG but that’s not really RNG). The issue is with the number of things hidden behind RNG.
The inclusion of Precursor crafting in HoT seems to indicate that ANet agree with this to an extent. I wouldn’t mind if you could (I don’t know) use those spoons as part of Mystic Forge recipe or something to get the items.
But it doesn’t inherently follow that RNG is bad, simply the wide-scale implementation thereof.

Well at least until HoT, where we’ll get another channel of obtaining Pre-cursors.

it’s your imagination.

Just because you have an idea in your head doesn’t make it right. So yes it is very possible that something is simply your imagination no matter how many times you imagine it.

And you’re rather condescending. See everyone is something, otherwise we’d be nothing. So everyone is something, except those who are nothing but they’re nothing so they’re not part of everyone so everyone is still something.

Posted by: Aenia Shadowforce.9148

Aenia Shadowforce.9148

Oh noes! I came here only to remind everyone of Haisenberg’s Uncertainty Principle, you got here first :<

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

RNG is RNG?

Don’t let a guy named Heisenberg read this. You’re wrong on a very basic level of the fabric of our universe

Edit: Gnarf, too slow…

But while I am at it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just-world_hypothesis

(edited by Halvorn.9831)

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

How? It’s random, and everyone uses the same randomizing system. There is no advantage that one person has over another. So how is it inherently unfair?

It’s unfair in terms of effort-reward, not in terms of being unbiased.

The RNG only rewards luck, not effort, which is produces results where someone can acquire extremely good rewards with practically no effort (the old “I just got a precursor from a moa” outlier) and another never sees a precursor drop or MF result after playing heavily for two years. That’s quite simply unfair, there’s no other way to describe it.

That everyone is using the same RNG just means it’s being unbiased in ignoring everyone’s effort. It’s being fair in its unfairness.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Okay that made me laugh out loud for real.

Posted by: tfcgeneralkmk.9508

tfcgeneralkmk.9508

seriously people if you are encountering drop reductions GO DO SOMETHING ELSE

farming orr for silk or the material bags farm a different zone in orr for a while doing a dungeon do a different one its not that hard to get around you just have to vary your play style

as to OP sorry you have been unlucky

and to those saying RNG isn’t truly random your right but i’d imagine the systems are nested into each other that it might as well be

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

It’s not BS. I’m also someone who has done Tequatl every single day since release (with the exception of maybe a handful of days when I was on vacation and/or didn’t play GW2).

Unlike the OP however I’ve gotten a few ascended loot boxes and 1 mini-Tequatl. It’s not a lot but then again my luck has always been really bad when it comes to luck-based games.

Posted by: LucosTheDutch.4819

LucosTheDutch.4819

Okay that made me laugh out loud for real.

Why? Because he’s right?

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

My thoughts exactly. RNG is horrible, at least give us a “If you do this X times and don’t receive the rare item, you receive this item.”

RNG “alone” should never have been in this game. What we need is a progress system that rewards people for doing the activity. Like each time you kill Tequatl your progress bar would go up until you reach the minimum and you get to pick (sort of like the achievement point reward system).

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

You have been playing every day, making the event happen and succeed so that others got their rewards.

Here you go, ANet won. They tricked you to populate the map. Funny enough that you can fill maps with a reward ratio to what, 1 in 75? Sometimes I wish the loot system would be a bit more like in other games raids.

Then again, we all just play for fun.

Posted by: KGS.9842

KGS.9842

yes rng is bad, but it will never change
why? because everyone has to have the exact same (minuscule) chance to get everything
we wouldn’t want some people to feel superior just because they have put in more effort to get something better than the others, would we

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

Someone complaining about rng, what else is new?

Playing for two and a half years, no precursor drops. Played forge, no precursor drops. Played fractals since they are released, no tonic and got all the skins but the ones i actually wanted since the beginning.

Managed somehow to craft minstrel. I’m no gold farmer i play for fun which is apparently highly un rewarding. Most expensive drop was mini kesmeer during the southsun events and i sold it for 30 gold at the time.

Doing world bosses daily, once i got enthropy from golem mark 2 which i sold for 20 gold. That was a one time only, i got around 12 exotic weapons in 2 years all around 2 gold each.

Meanwhile, i have watched people get multiple precursors from random mobs, people doing lvl 50 fractal for the second/third/fourth time and getting fractal tonic, people throwing few rares in the forge a few times and every other time getting hunter of the legend or zap. People getting 5 precursors a month, people not playing for 2 years and when they come back they get a random precursor drop and poop like that.

so i just decided i need a 1-2 month break because it is starting to kitten me off how rng is so unfriendly with me all the time. I started to hate the game so i think it’s the time for a long break so rng can be unfair to someone else.

laokoko.7403

It’s not BS. I’m also someone who has done Tequatl every single day since release (with the exception of maybe a handful of days when I was on vacation and/or didn’t play GW2).

Unlike the OP however I’ve gotten a few ascended loot boxes and 1 mini-Tequatl. It’s not a lot but then again my luck has always been really bad when it comes to luck-based games.

every single day would mean he did around 500 teq and got no ascended box.

Which is actaully quite unlucky.

I started doing teq about 3 month ago and got 1 ascended box but no hoard. Base on map chat which usually have 1 or 2 people says they got ascended/teq hoard. I would say he should average about 5 ascended box from 500 teq kill.

That being said, I think Anet increased the drop loot some time ago. So the drop rate from last year probably won’t count as heavy.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

I am sure a lot of players are with me when I say that RNG is bad especially when it is about a very minor chance. It is random, so it is neither evenly distributed nor “fair” nor does it reflect effort in any ways. It is just… random. And that can be very demotivating.

Nevertheless almost every MMO I know that is about loot has RNG in one or the other way. And I think it is there to generate that epic feeling of “finally…. yes”. Which doesn’t work for a lot of players.

ANet seems to have understood this, since they are going to create other ways for players to obtain a precursor.

Is that good? Yes. Is it enough? No. There is still a lot of valuable loot in this game that is handed out using almost infinitesimal chances via RNG. There has been a lengthy thread about RNG and alternatives, so I suggest to make a contribution there.

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

You take what you pay.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I know they have said it, but you must admit it’s suspicious that you can see people with many good drops (precursors, ascended, etc), and also people that plays since release but hadn’t get a good drop ever.

No, it’s not. At least if you know something about probability, anyway. Outliers are a thing, you know.

I’m not defending the RNG system here – it could definitely use a bit of improvements (several options were already mentioned in the topic dedicated to it, started by John Smith). It’s just anytime someone charges into the open, wearing a tinfoil hat and waving a book on conspiracy theories, the chances of it getting addressed go down. It just makes it seem that everyone that has problems with RNG is a loon, and thus can be ignored.

Please, don’t do that.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Aaaand the additional post to fix the forum page bug.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November