How many people play Guild Wars 2?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

i really don’t understand the rng issue. randomness is a part of mmos from wow, which had random item drops that everyone supported since wow first came out.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

I see people everywhere I go to be honest but I play on busier servers. Actually what I’ve been witnessing is that a lot of people that stopped playing have come back and started playing again and there are a lot of new players playing as well. So quite the opposite of what some people are saying.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: Motoko.2875

Motoko.2875

People who still play get so defensive when it gets pointed out that the game has decreased in activity.

ANet has the numbers. Correct.

If they were numbers to be proud of, why aren’t they flaunting them?

“Guild Wars 2 population continues to grow every day!”
“Record number of new accounts bought this month!”

IGN: Motoko, Motoko Kai, Gladiator Motoko – Zero Quality [zQ], [LaG], [USA]

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People who still play get so defensive when it gets pointed out that the game has decreased in activity.

And if the population hasn’t grown and hasn’t shrunk then what would they say. Most MMOs don’t brag unless the numbers are massively high. Clearly there’s not massively high.

That doesn’t mean that there are less people playing concurrently. You just don’t know.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I know for a fact that many, many people left GW2 because of the RNG issues and the “not enough permanent content” issues. I’m about to play other games because the Mystic Forge is making me angry beyond belief.

Ironically that’s not why people should leave. if anything it should be great ideas and bug/gameplay reports are simply ignored. I got headaches more than once from the blinding vista flashes, reported it multiple times and it’s the same.

So bug reports are ignored? No bugs are fixed at all?

Maybe there are a lot of bugs and some new bugs as well and Anet is fixing bugs according to an order that makes sense to them…for example…bugs that halt progress first (which is why you have an option to check that off when you report a bug).

If that were true, the TP bug would’ve been fixed since launch. But it’s been there. Since launch. I’m pretty sure a bug that makes it so you can’t use the TP halts progress. I mean, you have to exit the game and then log back in to use it. If it works. Lots of bugs are fixed, sure. But Anet apparently needs to prioritize which bugs they should fix first. The TP bug was reported so many times that it should have been fixed instantly. Instead, no answers were given, and no bugs were fixed that dealt with the TP.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

were they flaunting ever before? At January Anet stated that over 3 million copies were sold. They did not however flaunt at the moment when it happened. “Look guys! Today we reached 3 million!”. Really not a lot of MMO companies flaunt. They have to give in quarterly reports. If the game has a subscription fee they have to state how much people are paying that fee every month. However GW2 being a B2P game Anet doesn’t need to state how many accounts play actively and how many do not.
The reason why people get defensive is because that’s not what some of us see. Like I said it must be because all of us are from different servers, so when someone goes to forum and starts talking about how empty the game is I for example can not understand because Underworld is really lively. Therefore – different servers = different impressions = optimistic or a pessimistic point of view. The truth is neither is correct unless proved and neither side can provide proof because only Anet has the numbers.

Vayne.8563

I know for a fact that many, many people left GW2 because of the RNG issues and the “not enough permanent content” issues. I’m about to play other games because the Mystic Forge is making me angry beyond belief.

Ironically that’s not why people should leave. if anything it should be great ideas and bug/gameplay reports are simply ignored. I got headaches more than once from the blinding vista flashes, reported it multiple times and it’s the same.

Maybe there are a lot of bugs and some new bugs as well and Anet is fixing bugs according to an order that makes sense to them…for example…bugs that halt progress first (which is why you have an option to check that off when you report a bug).

If that were true, the TP bug would’ve been fixed since launch. But it’s been there. Since launch. I’m pretty sure a bug that makes it so you can’t use the TP halts progress. I mean, you have to exit the game and then log back in to use it. If it works. Lots of bugs are fixed, sure. But Anet apparently needs to prioritize which bugs they should fix first. The TP bug was reported so many times that it should have been fixed instantly. Instead, no answers were given, and no bugs were fixed that dealt with the TP.

Exiting the game and logging back in doesn’t halt progress. Halting progress is like when you are doing a personal story and it won’t finish, so you can’t continue your personal story. That’s halting progress. Relogging to activate the trading post…not halting progress.

That’s not even a good try.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Exiting the game and logging back in doesn’t halt progress. Halting progress is like when you are doing a personal story and it won’t finish, so you can’t continue your personal story. That’s halting progress. Relogging to activate the trading post…not halting progress.

So you disagree that the TP bug should have been fixed at launch then? And it halts my money intake for a few minutes. Most people are lazy and don’t want to take the time to restart their client just so they can get their hard earned gold from the TP. I’d say this is a halt in progress. My point is that this bug should have been fixed ages ago, and allowing it to stay in the game this far into its life should have never happened. No matter what, this should have been fixed 5+ months ago

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I like people who state radical misconceptions and lay them out as facts.

Here is what I know for FACT:
Ehmry Bay is mid range when it comes to server population.
Everywhere I go, I see people. Everywhere.
Eternal battlegrounds is almost always full.
Our guild is growing. Every time someone stops playing, I find two more to the game that just started and recruit.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

So you disagree that the TP bug should have been fixed at launch then? And it halts my money intake for a few minutes. Most people are lazy and don’t want to take the time to restart their client just so they can get their hard earned gold from the TP. I’d say this is a halt in progress. My point is that this bug should have been fixed ages ago, and allowing it to stay in the game this far into its life should have never happened. No matter what, this should have been fixed 5+ months ago

That’s a stretch and a half to say it impedes money intake for more than even 1min for starters, and halting progress? Really? Halting progress? Halt? Lightly delays maybe, and even that would be a stretch as picking up money from the TP is merely moving something you already own into a new location. It’s like transferring from your PayPal account to a checking/savings account. The money is yours already. It’s just in a different location from the rest of your money…

I do agree it should have been fixed ages ago, I don’t think anyone would argue that a bug shouldn’t have been fixed, but to claim it halts progress is so much of a stretch that it loses all credibility.

But yes, fix this and all other bugs in a timely manner. That should be the standard operation for any MMO team.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Well, as much as I don’t like certain things about this game and the direction the devs have been taking it, I have to say that I’ve been playing persistently since launch, and at this point there are only two other games of this type that I’ve played for this long at a stretch: the original Guild Wars and City of Heroes. In fairness I should give a tip of the hat to Star Trek Online as well, because that’s the one MMO in which the PVP kept me playing long after the PVE lost its luster.

So anyway. Still here, despite Anet’s many attempts (by which I mean pretty much everything they’ve done since launch, which is, I suppose, something of a testimony in regard to the strength of the core game) at driving me off.

But if it didn’t take as much as five minutes for me to change zones in TSW…

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

I log in every so often and the game seems to be exactly as populated as it was when I stopped playing regularly.

That was back in February.

The game’s not dying.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

Unfortunately the new JP is so FULL of people making it harder to complete. It’s anyone’s guess where all these people have been “hiding” all this time :P

Posted by: Creeper.9360

Creeper.9360

I would guess that it is more than 1 person and probably less than 10 million people

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Unfortunately the new JP is so FULL of people making it harder to complete. It’s anyone’s guess where all these people have been “hiding” all this time :P

I’m surprised that I wasn’t thrown into overflow on TC.

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

I have no idea who many people are currently active players (and nobody outside of ANet does), but I would be surprised if a “full” server was more than a couple thousand people. Given that I find it hard to beleive there are much more than 100k playing (note: Im talking active, everyday players, not counting those who play a week or so then take a multi-month break). however, as the game is F2P one could make a strong argument that players=copies sold.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

I wasn’t even in an overflow doing the new JP.

Posted by: Lucius.2140

Lucius.2140

Me, like 23 people in my friend list, other 20 in the blocked list, 450 of my guildies, the two pugs of yesterday and…
How do you supose players will know that loooll?

(edited by Lucius.2140)

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

Careful analysis of the shoe scuffs and cigar buts in and around the market area of Lions Arch on all servers has lead me to conclude the answer you are looking for is 42.

But seriously, why does it matter?

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Dhar.6392

Dhar.6392

I would be discouraged. This is Summer Break in the US… and considering the dismal employment numbers the media is spitting out… you’d think there’d be more not less playing.

I’d think any F2P game would be thriving these days.

Why folks are leaving- there are a ton of posts on that elsewhere. My short answer is the things that made GW2 fun are marginal and the reasons I abandoned Wow…legion.

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Let’s put it this way, unlike other mmorpg that have been released over the past 3 years, Arenanet has not downsized. Not only that, but they have actually been growing over the past year. Finally, they even had enough to start forming 4 teams to make living story content.

Ultimately, Arenanet is making money for Ncsoft since it represents a big chunk of its profit.

@Dhar
The people that play MMO are not necessary the same group that are loving for jobs. Finally, if you haven’t notice by now, but have you ever consider why games don’t get released in the summer? btw US=/=world.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

(edited by silvermember.8941)

Vayne.8563

This has been discussed before in other threads, and it’s relatively off topic here, but the reason some of the issues with the TP exists is to thwart bots. Ideal? No. But then it’s not the big deal you’re making it out to be either.

It’s called a storm in a tea cup. You’re right about a lot of people being lazy. But it’s still not blocking your progress because you CAN relog and sell. It slows your progress, which is not blocking it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

No idea what the number is but its been steadily growing since December or so. I’ve started running into overflows in normal maps again, and LA is hitting overflow again for the first time since they significantly upped the pop limit.

Almost done leveling a new alt and I saw a dozen people or more in every map I played on. That’s comparable to what I saw during launch. Tried to get into WvW the other night and 3/4 maps were in queues.

Game seems to be growing and doing well from my experience. However that’s all I have, unless Anet comes in and tells us then it is a meaningless discussion.

I’m going to recommend this thread be closed now, only bad can come from this thread. The constant ability to monitor population is what killed SWTOR. Everytime there was a decrease in population there would be dying game threads backed up by real numbers which made people jump ship, which lead to lower numbers, which snowballed until the game was lost.

Posted by: Torgal.8345

Torgal.8345

At the moment I am not playing GW2 anymore. I just don’t want to waist my time on so much RNG and “Use-the-credit-card-to-get-any-item”. Classes and their skills getting boring quite fast. You don’t have many options and for most classes there is like just one viable Specc. Dungeons are not difficult, it’s just RNG again. Either you’re unlucky the boss one-hits you, or not. There is nothing to do either than farming Legendary again with RNG almost-only.
I just can’t bother myself playing that anymore. Probably I’ll get it a try with an addon or some major changes.. if that will happen anyway :-)

BTW all, absolutely ALL of my RL friends with whom I played GW2 have stopped due to similar reasons.

Anyway Anet won’t care because they already got some nice money from us.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

Dungeons are not difficult, it’s just RNG again. Either you’re unlucky the boss one-hits you, or not.

If this is how you see it, then it’s a L2P issue more than anything. Ranged is easy and melee range requires to know how to time dodges. If you can’t, then you would benefit from vitality/ toughness.