How much have you spent on Gems?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

The first year about $200/month. The 2nd year about $100/month for first 6 months then 2nd half about $200 total. Since then Maybe $100. Now everything in gem store is ugly and the minis are all lame. Haven’t since then and don’t plan on buying more gems.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Well, there was recently a thread on Reddit about someone who binge spent 5,000$. And I’m sure he’s not the only person. People can go pretty crazy with their cash if they have it to spend.

I spend about 50 – 100$ a month. Probably getting close to a grand total of 2,000$ spent on this game by now… I’m a well paying customer let’s just say that.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I spent nothing on gems. All converted from gold. (Sorry ANet — I’m broke.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Yup, you just made me go back through my transaction history and add up…. shouldn’t have done that. Over a 3-year period (even if it’s not been that long yet) I’m paying more average per month that an expensive MMO sub would cost.

Anet, no more (soup) gem money for you until expansion hits.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

About a $100? If that…
Lately just been converting gold because…

I spent nothing on gems. All converted from gold. (Sorry ANet — I’m broke.)

Me too

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I don’t mind subsidizing the gold to gems people.. as long as I don’t have to listen to how gems are “so expensive!” to buy with gold.

Posted by: Enko.6123

Enko.6123

around $9000 that all went into the gem store except for about $25 of it that was converted into gold.

Dondarrion.2748

around $9000 that all went into the gem store except for about $25 of it that was converted into gold.

Hey, so you’re the guy funding Heart of Thorns expansion!

Posted by: Raif.9507

Raif.9507

Id say between… $2000 – $2500 since release. Maybe more, I’d have to check bank statements.

Asharìa March – 80 Elementalist
Co-Guild Leader of Prime Defense on Sanctum of Rall – www.Primedefense.net

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You’re all insane.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: BunjiKugashira.9754

BunjiKugashira.9754

30€ and over 1000g. The gemshop just doesn’t have much that I want.

Shana Flamewielder
Sylvari Elementalist of [SFF]
Abaddons Maul

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Something between 1500 – 2000€ since release. I don’t have that much time, since I have a full time job. But I easily can afford that.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: Obscura.9768

Obscura.9768

~ 400€ since release

Posted by: aquathanos.9714

aquathanos.9714

0-40 euros/ each month

Posted by: Bomber.3872

Bomber.3872

Exactly 50€ each year. So by now 150€, because I think that players should pay for real content like LS2 or account upgrades. I will never pay any cent for skins or the other crap from the shop, for that I changed around 20.000 Gold (y… I still have no legendary…) → Gems over the last 3 years.

IGN: Euer Verderben
[RUC] Riverside United Corps! For Riverside!

Posted by: Tea.7025

Tea.7025

Seeing people spending in the hundreds and even thousands makes me feel a bit guilty about not being able to contribute that much. Thank you guys for shouldering more than your fair share of the financial burden!

Currently living in a country with an extremely weak currency and saving up for moving abroad so I don’t have much to spare but I do make sure to get at least 800 gems each month as that’s around the same price as a standard MMO subscription and this game deserves at least that much.

So that’s 10 euros each month.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

Since release about 100€ for Charakter Slot, Bank Slots and so on.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

Dondarrion.2748

Something between 1500 – 2000€ since release. I don’t have that much time, since I have a full time job. But I easily can afford that.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

I just had to quote this for your signature! People pointing out the horrendous ‘would/should/could of/have’ mistake are my heroes!

Also, I agree that I could afford my spending all those Euroes I did, but calculating the total makes the sum sound daunting even if it’s over a long time.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve spent a lot of money on gems, but how much exactly it would be hard to say, since I don’t keep track.

Easily a thousand dollars between me and my wife, perhaps even a thousand each. Guild Wars 2 is our main source of entertainment and I’m happy to support the game.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I’d like to know how much people have spent on buying Gems.
Any idea/guess on how much in total?

I believe I’ve spent quite alot myself

I do not even want to know. I would guess it would average out to 15$ a month.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

I only spend gold on gems, i think i converted around 1k during 2 something years. I have a dog that loves to chew on things most of my money goes on her. And i’m broke.

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Because I cannot stand farming, of any kind, and do not always have time to get enough gold through normal play to convert to gems, I have probably spent an obscene amount on gems in this game. Over the 3 years I have been playing I suspect I have spent somewhere in the region of £400-£500 on gems, if not more.

I have bought gems to get skins, gathering tools, the occasional keys, a couple of dye packs, SAB minis, some finishers, full material capacity upgrades, some character slots (I have 12-13 slots in total), many additional bank and bag tabs, extra crafting disciplines, home instance gathering nodes, the deluxe edition, a couple of mail delivery animations and a lot of gems to gold convertions to buy full exotics for all my characters.

Personally, I like to have total freedom in any game to do what I enjoy the most. I hate slow progression mechanics and I hate not being able to compete at an equal level to others. I hate repeating content I dislike, and that is why I hate farming. I spend anywhere from 2-4 hours playing per day, most days of the week, which might sound like enough to make a decent income in game, but I do not earn a lot of gold, because I do not do activities for the purpose of earning gold. Playing WvW, PvP, open world PvE and the odd dungeon/fractal on rare occasions generally does not earn you much gold. I do not flip items on the TP and I do not endlessly run dungeons or repeat world bosses every day.

Normal play, from my perspective, does not earn much gold, so I spend real money to get the things I want quickly, so I can bypass the stuff I dislike and get on with doing the stuff I do. I am glad Anet has, for the most part, given me that option.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

$20 and never again.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Probably around 40-60$. Really the issue isn’t how much but on what, impulse sucks so wasting gems on 2 full cosmetic kits(one I didn’t care for the result), black wings(only used on 1 character), Dye kits(RNG items are really a petty cash grab), and top hat/ring master hat(will never regret these purchases) makes me realize it isn’t worth it.

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Bought around 12-15k gems give or take, storage for bank and invent, etc.
A game this big as a buy 2 play, they deserve it, you should spend some money too!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

You’re all insane.

Or simply have a lot of money to spend

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Less than I ever spent on my WoW $15 monthly subscription fee.

I really don’t mind spending a little money in the cash-shop every now and then; keeping the servers running isn’t cheap!

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

20-30 eur over the last 2 and a half years or so.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Either $10 or 20 a month, as I figure I’m getting that much enjoyment out of it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I semi-hold myself to a quasi-subscription (commitment much? :P), so I drop cash frequently, but not enough to have spent more than a few hundred. And right after launch, I was still in the “not going to spend money on a game I already bought arglblargl” phase.

Now, I’m a whale. I admit it. Just not a big one. Anyone with 4+ digits invested in this game loves it WAY more than I do.

I also sent two friends copies when the game went on sale.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

A very high amount. I don’t know exactly but it is most likely quite a bit over $1000

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I don’t particularly wish to think about how much I have likely spent in gems. Typically I buy 35$ worth of gems at a time (though I’ve done as low as 10$ and as much as 50$ as well). I’ve done this several times over the lifetime of the game, on two separate accounts. Sometimes both accounts purchase at the same time (so $70 a pop). To me, it’s money well spent because I’m still entertained, I’m still enjoying the game, and I feel like supporting the developers.

I only really start doing the math and thinking about the “price tag” associated with spending on a game’s store when I am dissatisfied with the game. This tends to happen in more of the f2p p2w games (if you aren’t paying, you may as well not bother playing type games).

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

(edited by LanfearShadowflame.3189)

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

more than i would care to admit.
less than I would like.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Far too much. :P

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

Probably somewhere around $500. I buy gems when I want to for things that I want and hoard my gold for in-game purposes. I’ve only done gold → gems once for a mini I desperately wanted. Otherwise, I really don’t mind spending real money for just the things I want.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

i guess 30$. My logic is every time they add a patch with features i like i buy gems.
Added fractals > bought gems
Added Wallet/Wardrobe > bought gems
have not bought gems since…

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

This is all fascinating tbh.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

Wow, most responses so far are significantly lower than what I hear from guildies and others in-game. I’ve got to be over $1000 by now, but I couldn’t say without going through bank statements.

Odds are good that people that spend significant amounts on it won’t be posting about it. Have known some people that would spend 200 and week on it. The Gem shop is a major source of real income for the company. On a side note on gamers and what they will pay for their entertainment, take a look at the crowd funding for Star Citizen as an example. You also need to consider there are people that were already paying 15-60 a month on sub fees from other games that came here. They were already used to spending some each month. Good gaming to you!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

Seeing people spending in the hundreds and even thousands makes me feel a bit guilty about not being able to contribute that much. Thank you guys for shouldering more than your fair share of the financial burden!

Currently living in a country with an extremely weak currency and saving up for moving abroad so I don’t have much to spare but I do make sure to get at least 800 gems each month as that’s around the same price as a standard MMO subscription and this game deserves at least that much.

So that’s 10 euros each month.

There’s no need to feel guilty. This gem buying stuff is working exactly right- some players spend nothing, some spend about the cost of a subscription, and some spend lavishly, making up for those who spend nothing. Saving for real life stuff is far more important, so good for you!

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

Never bought gems with anything other than in-game gold – a lot of the fluff doesn’t seem worth real cash in my eyes.

Though, it is one of the reasons I am certainly buying the expansion, as Anet has given me 3,000 hours of entertainment for £50, it is about time I give them a little more.

Posted by: Scipio.3204

Scipio.3204

I only bought gems occasionally , when I actually liked the content they released with the items, or I liked the direction of the game. I’d say about 50-100 €, but definitely not more than that.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

I’d much rather not think about it…

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: bexbz.1905

bexbz.1905

I think about $30… it would be at least tenfold if I didn’t have to explain where my money went to my husband every time I throw it in the garbage (gem store)

Necro Main Forever!
((helping out non-thinkers since 1989))

Posted by: Kapps.5831

Kapps.5831

I spend between $10 and $25 a month on gems, or about what I would spend on a subscription. I’m an alto-holic, so I buy lots of character slots, infinite tools and storage slots. Since I no longer play a subscription based game, this is a very acceptable expense in my opinion.

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I treat this game as a sub model mmo at $20/month. Played since BWE2, and plan on playing til GW3.

Plus I enjoy supporting businesses in my area.

JQ Druid

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I do not know…

1. 12 character slots
  2. 16 copper feds
  3. 10 sets of perma tools
  4. most armor sets except the blue ones..
  5. quite some weapon skins,
  6. a few keys ~50-70 I guess
  7. ~40 bags slots for ~14 of 16 chars
  8. 7? full bank slots
  9. 3 storage expanders
  10. nodes for home
  11. couple of finishers, 4 or 5 or so
  12. a lot of other skins..
  13. 2 mail cariers
    should be a good base list…

I do not buy booosters, or RNG items tough I bought some dye packs…

but I bought quite a lot (of gems) with gold as well…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

Your not saying how much you spent but want to know what others have spent?

The reason is, i dont even know anymore, probably around 1600€ sence launch.
I can’t say i regret it rly, but…
I get the impression alot of ppl spend alot on gems

Posted by: Shinya.2598

Shinya.2598

more than i would care to admit.
less than I would like.

Yea, something like this

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t mind subsidizing the gold to gems people.. as long as I don’t have to listen to how gems are “so expensive!” to buy with gold.

As someone subsidized by kind spenders such as yourself, thank you.

Also: yeah, I also have little patience for complaints about the gem:gold exchange rate either. It’s standard for any MMO economy that the trend of prices is up. However, it’s relatively modest in GW2. I was able to stock up on gems February, March, & April; the rate was 12.5g-15g/100 gems often, which was much lower than the 18-20g of November 2014.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

More than I should have and less than I would like. Not sure of the sum, but it probably does not exceed 200€ for all our four accounts.