Guild Wars 2 April fools 2015 [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

this funny only first 10 min

If you were only having fun for 10 minutes you didn’t nearly think hard enough about how this interacts with some of the emotes/skills in the game…

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Tragedies happen everyday. Some are covered by the media more intense than others.

Back when LA got “destroyed” and we had those refugee-related activities in the game, none bothered to point out any parallels to the ongoing tragic events in the real world.

This recent plane crash however seems to be an entirely different matter.

Personally, I find such hypocrisy extremely insensitive.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Sorry I’m not 8 yrs old ,

I’m 34 and I had a blast today.

But I feel for everybody on these forums who somehow has forgotten how to have fun between their 9th birthday and today.

Posted by: Karagra.9548

Karagra.9548

Its a harmless April fools joke. People need to desensitize themselves. That’s like saying every military shooter game company should be sued because our men and women die oversees and these games are reinacting it. I am ex military myself

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

As I posted in another topic, there was a stabbing in my apartment complex last week. it was a tragedy. I demand all daggers be taken out of the game.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Its a harmless April fools joke. People need to desensitize themselves. That’s like saying every military shooter game company should be sued because or men and women die oversees. I am ex military myself

But dont you know, they should, and so should any company that makes tank video games, or flying simulators!, or ship simulators!! ;D (Dad was in the military for 20 years! So thanks for your service!)

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: Drennon.7190

Drennon.7190

Today I saw an engineer shoot at another player with a pistol. I am highly offended and my butt is hurt.

Baer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

A man was stabbed in my apartment complex last week it was a tragedy I demand all daggers be taken out of the game.

Oh no! And forced Torch Offhands for the vigil!

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe you need to finally release your inner child instead of leaving the poor kid tied up in the basement of your brain. It’s making you depressed and stressed out. You’ll start aging even faster if you don’t.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

No matter what it is, someone will complain.

Man, I knew I was right.

What I didn’t know then was that I would be of them.

Personally I find this April Fools Joke insensitive. I would have preferred an official message saying “we had something in preparation, but respect of recent tragic events led us to a decision to hold it back. Happy April Fools day”. The complaints would have been much more minute plus the public reputation would have been better.

But things are as they are. Better luck next time, or shall I say “tactfulness”?

Posted by: Rannith.9068

Rannith.9068

But I feel for everybody on these forums who somehow has forgotten how to have fun between their 9th birthday and today.

you didnt read my earlier post.. im having fun now… im using their new camera technology against them muahahahahaha!

Karagra.9548

I lol’d more at that than my own thought of making this post

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Tragedies happen everyday. Some are covered by the media more intense than others.

Back when LA got “destroyed” and we had those refugee-related activities in the game, none bothered to point out any parallels to the ongoing tragic events in the real world.

I feel the same way.

Real people get gruesomely murdered, by the thousands, every day, yet we PvP. Trains crash with hundreds of victims, but nobody tries to shut down the term “hype train”. Because these things happen in the third world, unlike last week’s plane crashes, and they happen too frequently for us to even worry or care about it to the degree that it would influence what we find insensitive.

It should not matter whether it was 150 plane crash victims in the first world, or 150 civil war victims in some African country, or 150 people in a train crash in India. All these deaths are equally tragic, and the circumstances are equally upsetting.

But somehow, to a few dozen people on these forums, it makes a huge difference. I find this hypocritical as well.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

Not everyone share the same ideas of what is fun.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Sounds like you’ve lost, to me. You couldn’t handle the win and surrendered.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Not everyone share the same ideas of what is fun.

I never claimed everyone did. I responded directly to somebody who said this was age-related.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

It’s not hypocrisy, because it concerns two separate sets of people.

The people who lost relatives in the plane crash(es) are almost certainly not the same people who were involved in refugee situations.

It would only be hyprocrisy, if the people who were involved in refugee situations IRL had complained about the game and were then told by the same people, who were later affected by the plane crashes (and the planes in game), that their concerns had no merit.

I doubt that was the case, was it?

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

Well there are alot of people who think its just annoying and turning all that stuff off just creates something else annoying like oh your toon doing nothing at all. I am just going to sit out of this for a few days play another game if its like this for a year then I guess I get to play my PS4 for a year. lol and everytime they do something this stupid I will do the same thing. If you do not like something in the game the best thing to do is just not play…soon as the player base stops coming in during a stupid event maybe they will think harder about what they do.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Nova.7261

Nova.7261

People are finding that they have time to post negative remarks BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PLAYING THE GAME!

lol… Just putting two and two together

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

The people who lost relatives in the plane crash(es) are almost certainly not the same people who were involved in refugee situations.

The people who lost relatives in the plane crash(es) are almost certainly not the same people complaining on this forum. Just fyi.

Posted by: WereDragon.6083

WereDragon.6083

Yep Arena Net this is lame. A joke is one thing but what you are doing is annoying people. It’s like that one bad comedian that wont get off the stage. Ruined the mood of the game. (not everyone is 12 years old.)…also doing this when airplane crashes are on the news daily. Bad, bad taste and losing brownie points with me fast.

I for one love this, this is an amazing April fools and by your logic, we shouldn’t be allowed guns or daggers ingame because people get shot and stabbed on daily a daily basis.

What do we say to the god of death? Not Today….
Eleshod|80 Thief|Tarnished Coast
Malsavias|80 Necromancer| Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Luna Peregrina.5708

Luna Peregrina.5708

Jesus.

Everyone needs to lightened the frack up.

I loved the April Fool’s joke.
But everyone is walking around like Anet punched their grandmother.

Can’t do anything these days without someone jumping on their soapbox.

RIP fun.

On a similiar note, Anet, please remove pistols and rifles from game. People are killed with those everyday and I find it highly insensitive.

Ruby Lauffeuer – Asura Ranger
Officer of Midway [mWAY] – Dragonbrand
~Veni Vivi Dormivi~

Pixelpumpkin.4608

soon as the player base stops coming in during a stupid event maybe they will think harder about what they do.

If that happened, I’m sure they would.

However, ANet’s April Fool’s pranks have always been extremely popular and there’s a large number of people who go out of their way to log in specifically for this one day. So I wouldn’t count on it.

It’s one day of silly fun. I have logged off for the day for less, on occasion, when I was annoyed. I lived! You’ll live.

Come tomorrow, all the complaining will be moot. But we will still have our awesome screenshots!

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

you have plane crashes a lot more often, just because it happens in a first world country it suddenly is a greater tragedy? And you have real world war and atrocities all over the place – so no more fighting in GW2? Hubris (and I am German).

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Empathy is more and more becoming a rare commodity it seems. Ask yourselves those that are saying grow a thicker skin and the likes. If you lost family members within the last 2 weeks of this “joke” due to a plane going down, would you still feel the same, because if you do please see a doctor.

The scope/extent of information distribution channels does not turn a local tragedy into a global tragedy.

Empathy? The world is full of tragedy and suffering. Go paralyze yourself with empathy then.

No? If you refuse to be consistently empathetic, then you’re just an animal on a leash with your emotions tethered to the manufactured news cycle.

Stop trying to nerf the world, you will never succeed, go buff the individuals instead.

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

Secondly, as I say, if you had lost someone to an act of warfare, you would probably either choose not to log onto a game like this, at all

Citation needed.

Karagra.9548

Also I hope all the people who find this offensive don’t beat the s*** out of their kids when they run around the house with their arms up making plane noises. =D

(edited by Karagra.9548)

Posted by: Blackhearted.1264

Blackhearted.1264

This has to be a joke thread. Otherwise there’s something wrong with you if you’re actually “offended” by this.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The people who lost relatives in the plane crash(es) are almost certainly not the same people complaining on this forum. Just fyi.

If I had recently lost someone in a plane crash, maybe I would sit this April Fool’s out, or maybe not. There’s no way for me to know how I would feel. But what I do know is that I wouldn’t let my grief out on everybody else, for something that to anybody else, and on any other day, would have been perfectly acceptable. Because I typically don’t expect the planet to stop turning because of my personal issues. (And yes, I have been in similar situations before.)

Posted by: Nova.7261

Nova.7261

I hope the Malaysia airline accidents from 2014 didn’t inspire this…

Airplanes have been in the news allot over the past year in a negative light so in terms of foresight, I don’t really see Anet having much with what they probably just reminded allot of people about.

Tigaseye.2047

IDK, I think people were saying that there were people who were directly affected posting on the German forums?

Unfortuately, the extent of my German is “Der himmel ist blau.”, so I can’t really check it out for myself.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

It would only be hyprocrisy, if the people who were involved in refugee situations IRL had complained about the game and were then told by the same people, who were later affected by the plane crashes (and the planes in game), that their concerns had no merit.

I highly doubt that the people who lost someone in the recent plane crash are the (only) ones posting about this on the forums now.

My comment was aimed at the “not directly affected” kind of people, the ones who hear about such things through the media and then decide that their weird sense of justice is somehow being offended by this April fools joke.

Posted by: Ankushp.7245

Ankushp.7245

This is a game for god’s sake….a fantasy world into which we escape. Why are you people referencing events here to the real world (which sucks and seems to keep getting worse everyday) ? Children play this game, they are innocent and are having fun!! They don’t need to see you hyper sensitive idiots equating perfectly innocent things during ingame events to real life tragedies.

Am sure most of the “hurt” people posting here and talking about empathy wouldn’t give a kitten if the crashes were all only in Asia or Africa…….

While I agree this may be a sad reminder to any family members of crash victims playing……..it certainly doesn’t mean that we remove all references to aviation from the game for the next few months!!

While I agree that this is an American game whose constitution upholds freedom of speech expression and thought (plays American anthem in the background)…….Please close this thread and shove it into the forum abyss!!

Posted by: Shinji.2063

Shinji.2063

Also I hope all the people who find this offensive don’t beat the s*** out of their kids when they run around the house with their hands up making plane noises. =D

kitten i was drinking a glass of milk when i read that.

I am now going to hell for laughing about child abuse as well, I am offended that you would make me laugh at your joke

Posted by: Bubi.7942

Bubi.7942

I think Anet should remove WvW.

There are wars going on in lots of places in the world, yet Anet is insensitive about them. And WvW represents war as we know it.

Then again, people kill eachother for money on the streets daily. Thus PvP should be removed. Killing other players for points? How rude.

And then there are poachers. So killing wildlife disgusts me. Remove PvE.

Enjoy your game!

Oh, and I’m also offended!

(edited by Bubi.7942)

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This viral video from 2012 inspired it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CunHb3TJsg

In the last 3 years, there have been a sizable number of posts here on the forums begging the devs to add an /plane emote to the game. (quick google)

ANet answered.

That’s the whole story.

(edited by Pixelpumpkin.4608)

Posted by: Trget.9048

Trget.9048

haha GG OP.

on another note the filter and the flying is really getting annoying.

Tigaseye.2047

I highly doubt that the people who lost someone in the recent plane crash are the (only) ones posting about this on the forums now.

My comment was aimed at the “not directly affected” kind of people, the ones who hear about such things through the media and then decide that their weird sense of justice is somehow being offended by this April fools joke.

Oh, OK.

Well, I think the thing is that people take into account the likelihood of the affected people playing the game, when they think about things like this?

So, rightly or wrongly, they assume people who have been directly affected by refugee situations are less likely to be playing this game, than a Western European who was affected by a plane crash?

I think there were also American people on the plane, as well, so inevitably people will imagine that their relatives could have been directly affected.

Nokaru.7831

People need to desensitize themselves.

Yes, people need to desensitize themselves to the sheer horror of their avatar’s outspread arms, aviator cap and the terrible cacophony of “VRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!” How do they expect us to get back to our normal daily lives of stabbing our foes with daggers, searing our enemies alive with fire, and hacking them to pieces with our mighty swords after being subjected to this monstrosity?

Nokaru.7831

WRONG. This inspired it: (Link)

Try 2012.

Posted by: RuneCrimson.7380

RuneCrimson.7380

I heard it was not going to be changed for a whole year.

{Knights of Revengence} [KoR-Lord]
“Nothing is true! Everything is Permitted!”

Posted by: Luna Peregrina.5708

Luna Peregrina.5708

Y’all getting way too serious.
Lighten up.

Ruby Lauffeuer – Asura Ranger
Officer of Midway [mWAY] – Dragonbrand
~Veni Vivi Dormivi~

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

6. Turn that all back on and actually enjoy it

Enjoy what? Dumbest idea ever that was fun for first 5 min?
They could bring already desired SAB event that we enjoyed so much. .. but no lets release bullskritt joke that is annoying as kitten!

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

Today I saw an engineer shoot at another player with a pistol. I am highly offended and my butt is hurt.

I think you are being insensitive. Obviously Anet had this planned for months and didn’t mean anything by it, but clearly you don’t understand that people have lost their friends and families in plane crashes (recently) and seeing this in game “joke” might take offence.

Posted by: Hammurabi.5942

Hammurabi.5942

Yeah I agree it’s pretty insensitive that they put SAB minis back into the black lion chests then we get the airplane pose. Rude, Anet.

Oh wait, you’re not talking about that, you’re being a politically correct tumblr cretin on a SJW crusade. Face, meet palm. Crap, I bet clapping noises trigger you people too.

Posted by: tim.1280

tim.1280

haha GG OP.

“The filter can be turned off by turning off post-processing”.

Says this on Dulfy.. don’t know if it is correct or not.

Pixelpumpkin.4608

haha GG OP.

“The filter can be turned off by turning off post-processing”.

Says this on Dulfy.. don’t know if it is correct or not.

Yes, it is. I turned mine off for the Tequatl fight (so I could see the AOE circles) and then swtiched post processing back on for more casual fun.

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

They obviously planned this joke for a while since it has sound effects and post-processing, etc.

Too bad it didn’t take off as they wanted.

Snow Crows [SC]

Posted by: Olvendred.3027

Olvendred.3027

I think you are being insensitive. Obviously Anet had this planned for months and didn’t mean anything by it, but clearly you don’t understand that people have lost their friends and families in plane crashes (recently) and seeing this in game “joke” might take offence.

Clearly you don’t understand that equally nonspecific people have lost their friends and families in war, or to gun and knife crime (recently) and seeing these in game “features” might take offence.

Posted by: Hammurabi.5942

Hammurabi.5942

I give this troll a 9/11