in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Forum bug………………………..

Hyenas

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

You didn’t really convince me of the necessity of this mob having it. It doesn’t make much sense. Your arguments are “learn how to dodge”, which doesn’t make much sense neither.
But that’s fine too. I guess I will really have to change maps.

It does make sense, though. A hyena (and other species of animals) would very likely try to cripple the prey they’re stalking to make it easier to catch them and kill them. That doesn’t make the cripple effect any less annoying, but it makes sense for it to be there. Plus, there’s the whole notion that not every mob should be so easy to run past every time.

And learning to deflect and avoid attacks is always good.

Hyenas

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

Okay guys, you won. I see your point of view. If something annoys other players, but doesn’t really affect me, it should stay the way it is. That’s fine.

And I agree, I did exaggerate with that one. I don’t feel like I exaggerated with how pointless cripple on hyenas is though. You didn’t really convince me of the necessity of this mob having it. It doesn’t make much sense. Your arguments are “learn how to dodge”, which doesn’t make much sense neither.
But that’s fine too. I guess I will really have to change maps.

I also find the cripple annoying. However asking it to be removed because it’s annoying is just silly. It’s something that is easily dealt with.

As far as why they have it. Why not? It forces the player to actually have to deal with it. You can either avoid althogether, dodge, or cleanse it. It adds a bit of a challenge, or at least something to be overcome. It wouldn’t make sense to have useless mobs that don’t really do anything (i.e. special mechanic, condition applied, etc.).

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Hyenas

Posted by: rojak.1894

rojak.1894

It is not pointless OP.. the cripple, it gives immersion. Have you ran through Orr? the mobs there chill, immob and cripple a ton too, it’s lovely.

Hyenas

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I think you’re missing the other real reason they have the cripple. It doesn’t make them much more dangerous by themselves, but they’re NOT by themselves. There’s a lot of other threats on that map, and being able to move is important. Having a hyena cripple you during a fight might get you killed if you’re not ready for it. They’re a part of the overall threat of combat in that zone.

Removing the cripple would be a nerf to the mordrem, if only an indirect one. They’d have to make the mordrem tougher to compensate, and you’d likely wind up right back where you are.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Hyenas

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You didn’t really convince me of the necessity of this mob having it.

Why does any mob have an ability that one is better off avoiding? The game’s combat system is based around the idea that players have active defenses that allow them to avoid the dangerous or annoying effect. Designing mobs that do not have dangerous or annoying effects would negate the need for player active defense. That’s the necessity, especially when you consider that game developers design mobs with the intention that players fight them. The fact that one can run past is a by-product of game design, it is not the primary intention.

Hyenas

Posted by: Gyler.8150

Gyler.8150

I can already see the next expansion tittle, GW2: HC, Hyena’s Cackle.
Main feature, at any one point, at any time, a hyena can jump out from the bush and cripple you. You have 2 seconds to dodge!

Also, would love to see a Rocky montage type video of training to dodge the hyena’s attack. Make it happen! Eye of the tiger!

Hyenas

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

You. Are. A. Warrior. One of the single most difficult classes to keep a condition on for more than 1 second, especially if specced for mobility. This is literally a L2P issue. Only YOU can help YOU with this.

As for this mob having cripple: It actually makes all the sense in the world if you understand or know anything about this creature in the real world. They prey on the crippled and near dead. They fight/hunt in large packs. Seriously. At this point i can only assume you’re trolling.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Hyenas

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

… To waste players’ time?

ding ding! We have a winner!

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Hyenas

Posted by: Weirwynn.2390

Weirwynn.2390

This is probably one of the saddest threads I’ve seen on this forum. It’s an enemy. It’s job is literally to be an obstacle for you to overcome. What’s that? It’s not difficult to overcome? Good for you! Oh, it has something that affects you in a detrimental way? Well gee, I wonder why that could possibly be?

Working.

As.

Intended.

Hyenas

Posted by: Element Two.7316

Element Two.7316

but you can’t expect me to dodge successfully each time.

Err …. why not?

Hyenas

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

Honestly, I’m with the OP on this. CC mobs are annoying as hell. None of them are even really a threat, and feel like much more of a nuisance than an enemy.

They’re easy enough to deal with, but not particularly fun.

Hyenas

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

Try killing them… you might be positively surprised about their loot table.

Hyenas

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

This is a great point too. I’m surprised at how many T6 mats I get off of the trash mobs in SW while running around with a chest train or doing pack bull events, etc.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Hyenas

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Sounds like a classic L2P moment to me. You don’t want to be slowed down for a second because… reasons. So avoid the mob that slows you down instead of just running right through it. Go around and if it gets close to you dodge to avoid the attack.

Why in the world should ANet redesign a mob because you don’t know how to do basic things?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Hyenas

Posted by: Zaklex.6308

Zaklex.6308

I’ll point out the OP’s count is wrong, there has never been a 100 hyena’s on an SW map, I counted, the most I ever totaled across the entire zone was 50, and they are real easy to just run past…though for fun sometimes I’ll try and aggro a half dozen of em and some devourers for amusement purposes.

Hyenas

Posted by: ShotgunDiplomat.7239

ShotgunDiplomat.7239

I don’t like this thing. It’s mildly inconvenient as intended.
CHANGE IT.
BEND TO MAH WIIIILLLLL.

Hyenas

Gyler.8150

If anything, we need more hyenas to counteract the incursion of players into their lives. Hyenas, band together.

Hyenas

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

The hyena revolution is coming. Be prepared.

Hyenas

Posted by: Manu.6078

Manu.6078

The hyenas of the forum are more annoying than the hyenas in the game.

Hyenas

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dogged_March
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loaf_of_Saffron_Bread
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Loaf_of_Tarragon_Bread (For the poor)
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/%22Shake_It_Off!%22

I would be surprised if they slowed me more than down for more than 1 second.

Lol wut? I just dodge their crippling attack and run away.

Yes, you can dodge them. Are you telling me that it was designed to teach players how to dodge? Because I’m pretty good at dodging, and I still get hit now and then.
It’s kind of genius, actually. If you won’t dodge, you will get annoyed to death.

Seriously though, is crippling necessary?

Getting hit enough for it to be a problem is proof enough that you might need to be taught a bit more. So yes, it’s still there to teach people to dodge because they may have not mastered it by the time they get over here.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Hyenas

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

The hyena revolution is coming. Be prepared.

<3 You beat me to linking this lol

Back on topic, this thread boils down to “this annoys me, remove it.” If the devs did that for every such thread that gets posted here, we’d have no game.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Hyenas

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

This is a great point too. I’m surprised at how many T6 mats I get off of the trash mobs in SW while running around with a chest train or doing pack bull events, etc.

This here. I am amazed at how many folk I see just run past, usually dragging their aggro into everyone else as they go…. I have gotten some pretty nice stuff out of those trash mobs. They are definitely worth killing no matter where you are. Anything that gives you something to salvage, sell or craft is worth killing.

Hyenas

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

This here. I am amazed at how many folk I see just run past, usually dragging their aggro into everyone else as they go…. I have gotten some pretty nice stuff out of those trash mobs. They are definitely worth killing no matter where you are. Anything that gives you something to salvage, sell or craft is worth killing.

I got my Beta Access Portal from a random mordie wolf that an entire chest train zerg had simply gone running past xD

Hyenas

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I like that there’s so much stuff to avoid and doge in open world. Making open world harder… Since they are most likely not making any new end game dungeon content…. Is definitely something we need more of.

Hyenas

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

Please remove cripple from hyenas. You already get slowed down when they hit you anyway. It’s just frustrating. Even on my warrior using “Charge” I just can’t stand it.

I don’t know what’s the point of this. Is it to annoy players? Because this is in no way challenging. It’s just frustrating.

Maybe there are some players who enjoy getting crippled every 1 or two minutes while running on the map. Maybe they’re even really into getting pushed back by randomly spawning teragriffs when they try to open chests. I personally don’t and I hope the majority doesn’t enjoy it neither.

Lols.. not sure if trolling or just a someone that really needs to go back to a starter map and learn to dodge some more… only fools or really, really poor players run thro mobs and not expect to take some form of hit and then come whine about it.

Seriously though you say your a pretty good dodger .. this thread maybe counters your own statement really. Heck let’s not stop at Hyenas, lets also remove cripple from wurm attacks and wolves and birds.. hell lets just remove all mobs dmg affects and why stop there, lets turn all mobs into butterflies so that you can run around unhindered.

Nah personally I stand by my original statement.. take a trip back to a starter map and try for that little chest inside the circles, then try it again and again and again and again and…….

Hyenas

Posted by: IPhyton.2348

IPhyton.2348

Please remove cripple from hyenas. You already get slowed down when they hit you anyway. It’s just frustrating. Even on my warrior using “Charge” I just can’t stand it.

I don’t know what’s the point of this. Is it to annoy players? Because this is in no way challenging. It’s just frustrating.

Maybe there are some players who enjoy getting crippled every 1 or two minutes while running on the map. Maybe they’re even really into getting pushed back by randomly spawning teragriffs when they try to open chests. I personally don’t and I hope the majority doesn’t enjoy it neither.

Pro tip l2dodge.

Hyenas

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

OPs last post was yesterday and the L2Dodge rage continues xD

Hyenas

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

Hyenas

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

So it’s a great way to train your gaming skills and anet made a great design choice. They’re not deadly so you won’t loose your progress and in the same time you are learning how to dodge. It’s a win/win for me. Too bad you’re disappointed. Maybe run at shiverpeaks, I don’t remember meeting any hyenas there.

It’s a level 80 map. Everyone at this point knows how to dodge. Of course you can master timing these particular mobs but what’s the point if they’re just for ‘training’, right?
I like this map. I hate these mobs. See my problem?

“I’m done training – I know how to do it – so I should never do it again”

^ How I’m reading your responses on dodging hyenas.

That’s not the point of training/learning to do stuff.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Hyenas

Gyler.8150

Let’s remove the chance for others to learn how to dodge because I have mastered it already!

Hyenas

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

learn to dodge op

Hyenas

Posted by: KrisHighwind.6213

KrisHighwind.6213

I’ve been running through this map doing the breach and vinewrath event once a day since the portal thing started and have noticed something about these hyenas. As a note I’m a turret engy with no boost to my move speed. The hyenas seem to be too slow to catch me running at out of combat move speed, and miss with their lunge attack.

Hyenas

Posted by: Deedrick.4372

Deedrick.4372

So if its annoying is good enough, can we add an "i win" button to dungeons, because it’s so annoying to do them correctly.... The op’s logic is not flawed, this is our newest generation of gw2 entitled players wanting everything given to them.

Hyenas

Posted by: psyckos.6893

psyckos.6893

It could be much worse. They could replace the hyena with the wolves from the maze.

Hyena are fine as they are. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Hyenas

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Hyenas still don’t howl by the way! This is a game breaking error!

;)

Hyenas

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Cripple from hyenas is annoying/too much.

Wait PVE is too OP now?

I don’t know about you guys but all I gotta say is.. Dodge… Avoid the hyenas. Like. Do something. It’s PVE.. The easiest baby sand box mode of all time and people are legit complaining about cripple that only lasts a few seconds? Are you gonna die in that amount of time? Hyenas take a few seconds to kill. Warrior you say… Hmm.. Idk.. Maybe give that war horn a toot and boom. Problem solved. Crippled is gone. Seriously. Get it together.

Hyenas

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I do think it would be cool to have a hyena potion. Turn into the hyena. And never get aggroed by the hyenas. Of course it would be cool if all potions worked this way.

Hyenas

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I can already see the next expansion tittle, GW2: HC, Hyena’s Cackle.
Main feature, at any one point, at any time, a hyena can jump out from the bush and cripple you. You have 2 seconds to dodge!

Also, would love to see a Rocky montage type video of training to dodge the hyena’s attack. Make it happen! Eye of the tiger!

Will make it happen, thanks.

Hyenas

Posted by: Snuggles.9875

Snuggles.9875

farm enough in SW and you’ll learn how to dodge real quick. pretty sure they have hyenas as well. You don’t dodge.. it could be pretty much game over if there are enough mobs around. Husk will root / immobilize you, Leeching Thrasher will put vines under you or Terragriff will charge you (you’re going to get downed in all cases). Hyenas are the least of your worries :S AND the good news is there will be an abundance of these mobs in HoT expansion. :S Even full ascended you can get wrecked by any mob combination (if there are a couple around) if you don’t dodge initial attacks.

(edited by Snuggles.9875)

Hyenas

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Crippled players should have 400% of the normal aggro radius for all nearby hyenas, as should those low on health.

Attachments:

Hyenas

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I swear, GW2 has the most moaning community I have ever seen in my time playing MMOs. While in other games players complained about important things, only here you can see someone complain about getting crippled for few seconds from mob that can be dodged/blocked/killed in 2sec.

I mean, are you serious? Becouse i really want to belive it`s trolling thread for funzies.

Hyenas

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Crippled players should have 400% of the normal aggro radius for all nearby hyenas, as should those low on health.

Um…yes. And the “how would they catch food” one by Doggie. More realism I say!

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Hyenas

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

It’s really quite simple:

1) Mobs have attacks that affect you.
2) Mobs can be easily avoided.
3) Mob attacks can be dodged.
4) Mob attacks can be blocked.
5) Cripple, etc can be easily removed using a number of skills at your disposal.

Result: Yes, it can be annoying, but you have tools to deal with it. Do so.

I would however wish that removing it would maybe give you some kind of
immunity against that condition for a while.

That is really the most annyoing thing, that as soon as you remove something
you already have the next condition but of course now a long recast on your
removal skill.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Hyenas

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

I would however wish that removing it would maybe give you some kind of
immunity against that condition for a while.

That is really the most annyoing thing, that as soon as you remove something
you already have the next condition but of course now a long recast on your
removal skill.

Which is why I don’t usually use Stability skills, either. :\
Long cooldowns, but the next 5 second stun/knockdown/fear-chain is only 10 seconds away.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Hyenas

Posted by: EnemyCrusher.7324

EnemyCrusher.7324

Have you ever tried running past mobs in Orr? They should put hyenas in perspective for you.

Hyenas are easy to avoid. If you have any sort of speed buff, you can run right by them without getting hit, and they’ll break aggro right afterward. Better yet, use them to practice your dodge timing.

Light of Honor [Lite] – Founder / Warmaster
Sorrow’s Furnace Commander
“You’re the mount, karka’s ride you instead, and thus they die happy!”-Colin Johanson

Hyenas

Posted by: Reanne.5462

Reanne.5462

Why in the hell is this topic still on the first page…. Hey Anet, Next April 1st, please replace all hyenas with Giants!!

Hyenas

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

I still can’t believe it’s not butter.

Hyenas

Posted by: SpyderBite.6274

SpyderBite.6274

Text Book entitlement. Don’t adapt, just design the game around me.

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock.

Hyenas

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

I swear, GW2 has the most moaning community I have ever seen in my time playing MMOs. While in other games players complained about important things, only here you can see someone complain about getting crippled for few seconds from mob that can be dodged/blocked/killed in 2sec.

I mean, are you serious? Becouse i really want to belive it`s trolling thread for funzies.

well I guess that just means the game is pretty much perfect, if that is all ppl have to complain about