Hypocrites in the forums?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ZinN.6124

ZinN.6124

I do not usually create new threads or write in threads, but I do read alot of it.

However i cant ignore this because its bugging me alot,
But not to sound a bit to negative or anything but is it just me that notice all the hypocrites in the forum right now? All of a sudden we had a “amazing cool patch update, with good challenging gameplay and rewarding loot”
Sorry but this is the exact same awesome updates we have had this year! With bosses and loot and fights etc , filled with lore and story. New content in it all.

And this are the same people that have been trashing Anet for sooo many months. But all of a sudden they are happy with this update… makes sense? Not to me atleast

Yes we had 2 amazing cinematics and it revealed a special announcement on the 24th of January that does not confirm an expansion, people already seem 100% of it and even though it seems most likely that it is an exp but is that the only way you like this update? IF that is true then you are pretty hypocritical, at least in my eyes.

I am not saying that you have to like everything Anet does so do not get me wrong.

Just my thought
// Zinniy

I like trains

Choo choo

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

LS isnt for everyone. And the amount of content isnt up to everyones expectations. I wouldnt call them hypocrites because of that. The announcement has to be something big otherwise it wouldnt be announced like this. We dont know if its an expansion or not but its pretty safe to say its something fairly big in comparison to previous patch releases.

(edited by spoj.9672)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

The thing is, people aren’t mad about what we’re getting. They’re mad that it’s all that we’re getting. Or most of it. Now that there’s talk of an expansion, suddenly people aren’t mad anymore.

It’s like when you’re married and your wife yells at you for something you did four years ago because she’s mad about something else.

(edited by Vayne.8563)

Posted by: dekou.6012

dekou.6012

How does liking one thing and not another make one a hypocrite? I think you don’t know what that word means.

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

Or people can compartmentalise, complimenting the good and criticising the bad?

There’s both in the current episode, IMO.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

Posted by: Vampire.8654

Vampire.8654

The announcement has to be something big otherwise it wouldnt be announced like this.

I agree, season 3 of living story is big enough to be announced like this. Imagine the disappointment in forums after the announcement

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

To be honest.
I hear no one really talking about the Episode itself.
Most people going on about the “twist”, the bosses and the possibilities of an expansion.

The Episode itself was pretty medicore at best.
Ironicly the best part was the attack on the pact and the Bossfight.
The rest, even the lore bits were just “okay” and nostalgia bait…

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I liked this episode better than the last one, and the one before the last one better than this one.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If there hadn’t been rumors of an expansion there would have been the usual amount of negativity. They think they will be getting what they want. Of course they are feeling forgiving. That’s not hypocrisy.

By the way. Here’s the definition of hypocrisy.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrisy
noun, plural hypocrisies.
1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.

You could say instead, they are feeling expansive. (Pun intended).

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I liked season 2 a lot more that season 1 because it added permanent content, new zones and actual story missions (similair to the personal story). The only problem it still had was quantity (imo). Now at the end of this last episode Anet has raised the stakes and there is a good chance for an expansion, which could take care of the quantity problem. So yes, I am more satisfied with this episode than the others.

Not only that but the Awakening of an Elder Dragon always came with an immediate cataclysm (The brand, rising of Orr, destruction of the Far Shiverpeaks etc). So far that had yet to happen with Mordremoth. And I believe that time has finally come, considering what happened to the pact fleet.

Besides, I said it before and I will say it again, I am being critical because I care. If I didn’t care I would simply play something else.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I think that some of this boils down to people (who the living story, or whatever content addition that did not fit what they wanted) saying their is “no new content” instead of saying “none of the new content there suited me or my playstyle/preference so it must not have happened, la la la no new content la la la”.

While not hypocritical in nature such a few is problematic as there is no way to please everyone all the time and so there may come a time for players to look elsewhere for entertainment (and a least for the time being) there is the ability to return to GW2 if the urge is upon an individual.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

OP, you are clueless. Most people (myself included) give praise to what ANet does and is praiseworthy, and complain when what they do is bad. Does that make us hypocrites? Are you serious?! Do you even know what that word means?!

Yes, the new update ANet gave us is amazing and I commended them for it because they earned it, but at the same time I am still annoyed by the Fractured update from a long time ago and I still call them out on that with each opportunity I get. Does that make me a hypocrite? If you think so, then you might have a problem.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

The thing is, people aren’t mad about what we’re getting. They’re mad that it’s all that we’re getting.

QFT.

I’ve been pleased with the direction this season’s boss fights have been going (not in difficulty, but in creativity with mechanics), but I’m not at all happy that they’ve not released much content for WvW, PvP, or dungeons. It’s not being hypocritical — it’s about seeing most game modes languish while the LS gets all the love.

They’re doing a good job with LS. But there’s more to this game, and it’s been neglected.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

A person can offer effusive praise about the things they like and criticism at the things they don’t. That’s how opinions work.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Credit is given where credit is due.

I give ArenaNet credit for some things they do, and I question other things they do.

Posted by: Jerus.4350

Jerus.4350

The thing is, people aren’t mad about what we’re getting. They’re mad that it’s all that we’re getting.

QFT.

I’ve been pleased with the direction this season’s boss fights have been going (not in difficulty, but in creativity with mechanics), but I’m not at all happy that they’ve not released much content for WvW, PvP, or dungeons. It’s not being hypocritical — it’s about seeing most game modes languish while the LS gets all the love.

They’re doing a good job with LS. But there’s more to this game, and it’s been neglected.

Everytime I see the LS stuff I wonder how much work it’d be to manipulate it into new content for the other areas of the game.

Could Silverwastes be made into a WvW Borderlands map to mix it up?
Could Glint’s Lair be made into a new dungeon by beefing up the encounters a bit and adding some stuff here and there?
Any part of dry top/SW/instances that could be adjusted into a new PVP map?

Simply seems like it’d be doable, so… why not?

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

QFT.

Everytime I see the LS stuff I wonder how much work it’d be to manipulate it into new content for the other areas of the game.

Could Silverwastes be made into a WvW Borderlands map to mix it up?
Could Glint’s Lair be made into a new dungeon by beefing up the encounters a bit and adding some stuff here and there?
Any part of dry top/SW/instances that could be adjusted into a new PVP map?

Simply seems like it’d be doable, so… why not?

Nothing is off the table™.

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

Hypocrite? Really?

Attachments:

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Well humans think logically but act on emotion and posting is the main act here. So the arguments tend to be much more emotively charges and that often leads to being hypocrite.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m with Zanshin.

It’s not hypocrisy to dislike one update and like a different one. All it is is that the latter update provided something the other updates didn’t provide. You may think the updates are similar, but it seems not everyone does.

If you’re genuinely pleased with the content ANet is putting out, it seems strange to be complaining when posters who’ve been critical praise something new. I’d guess ANet is delighted that the latest has seen more praise than usual.

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

If there hadn’t been rumors of an expansion there would have been the usual amount of negativity. They think they will be getting what they want. Of course they are feeling forgiving. That’s not hypocrisy.

By the way. Here’s the definition of hypocrisy.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrisy
noun, plural hypocrisies.
1. a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess.
2. a pretense of having some desirable or publicly approved attitude.
3. an act or instance of hypocrisy.

Let’s go with Mirriam-Webster’s definition then, which is what the OP intends:

hy·poc·ri·sy noun \hi-?pä-kr?-s? also h?-\

: the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

: the behavior of people who do things that they tell other people not to do : behavior that does not agree with what someone claims to believe or feel

I don’t see how that even fits with the situation.
Some people don’t like the LS. They like the fact that we might have an expansion. How is that being a hypocrite?

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

We call that the unending demand for new content to consume. Don’t worry, next week there will be threads that someone has done all the achievements in record time and is now bored.

“ANet needs to create more content faster, freer, to fulfill the void that is my sexless life!”

Well . . . maybe not those exact words, but you get my point. The forums aren’t exactly the place to be reasonable or happy with the game. Do that, and you’ll get called a white knight. kitten and complain, and you’ll be considered normal.

Forums are a strange place.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

Wanna know what this has that last year didnt?

Heart of Thorns.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Astral Projections.7320

I don’t see how that even fits with the situation.
Some people don’t like the LS. They like the fact that we might have an expansion. How is that being a hypocrite?

Agreed. Still doesn’t fit.

They would have to be praising the new LS while actually hating it for the definition to fit. I really doubt people are doing that.

OP is still using the wrong word/doesn’t understand the definition of it.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

I have been very negative. My experience with LS2 has been very positive. That is partly why my demeanour has changed.

The other reason is that I have been so critical that I had both my forum accounts either suspended or on time-lock because I thought the best way to express myself was with sharp, unwitty digs at the hard working development staff, and being continuously negative and downright abusive. I am trying to change my ways.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

While the OP used the wrong word, the intent behind it is clear and somewhat insightful.

The content has been short and choppy, with loopholes in plot, and overall grindy (less so than before, with better rewards along the way), and RNG based. Still zergy to a degree (again better than it was and more organized, but still zerg fests).

Yet now the majority are all hearts and cuddles instead of spite and thorns.

It is a sign of the fickle nature of consumers, the consumers “wanted” an expansion. So when they didn’t get the idea of what they wanted exactly as they wanted, they were determined to hate what they got.

Arguging over the OP using hypocrite does not change the nature of the change of heart of the consumers.

Also the example of a wife being mad at a husband for something he did four years ago…is that justified? That is an example of the “WRONG” reasons to be mad, by wanting to be mad at something that is not pertinent to the situation, so NOTHING the husband (anet) does will be accepted because the wife (consumer) WANTS to be mad, even if the husband did good.

Then the husband buys a pretty necklace (expansion) and the wife (consumer) is happy again…until she wants another necklace (expansion).

….If he buys her a bracelet, she will be furious, even if it was better than the necklace.

(edited by CMF.5461)

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Sorry but this is the exact same awesome updates we have had this year! With bosses and loot and fights etc , filled with lore and story. New content in it all.
// Zinniy

Uh, this is the only update we have had this year. Just saying.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

People did not like what was delivered previously and so they criticized it and expressed dissatisfaction.

People do like what they received with the most recent patch and so are less critical and do not express as much dissatisfaction.

This is not hypocrisy. This is not players being fickle. This is how things are supposed to work. Consumers provide feedback regarding what they do and do not like about a product and the producer attempts to incorporate elements of that feedback into future releases in order to increase consumer satisfaction (and revenue).

If you go to a restaurant and order a steak well done only to have it arrive extremely bloody, you express your dissatisfaction and send it back to the kitchen. Its not hypocrisy or fickleness to subsequently be happy when the steak comes back cooked to your specifications.

Posted by: CMF.5461

CMF.5461

Players are served a plate of mush and they hate it.

Players are served a plate of mush, and an after meal mint…and they love it!

Ashen.2907

Are we talking one of those red and white spiral mint hard candies or an Andes chocolate mint ? Mmmmm Andes.

Different people like different things. To some the most recent episode is not mush. Not sure if I will play it. I absolutely hate playing someone else’s character. If the Caith memory seed BS had been handled with a cinematic I wouldn’t have minded, but requiring me to play her in order to progress the story left a bad taste.

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

The mint…is wafer thin

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Ashen.2907

The mint…is wafer thin

Not another bite.

Posted by: Liz.1497

Liz.1497

Wait, so are you saying that if someone didn’t like any aspect of this seaon’s living story it makes them a hypocrite to like something else? Or, if they were overall dissatisfied with the quantity and quality of the content released during 2014 it makes them a hypocrite to like this one last release and be stoked about the promise of a LOT more new content in 2015?
.. wha?

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

This year is just now 2 weeks old.

Just sayin…..

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Astral Projections.7320

This year is just now 2 weeks old.

Just sayin…..

It’s been a really long 2 weeks. :P

Posted by: ZinN.6124

ZinN.6124

Alright alright stop the hate of me using the word hypocrite in the wrong way. My bad..
still my point with the topic is still people first hate the patches, trashing anet, threating to leave etc, and not enjoying the parts of story and lore and the feature packs etc etc

But then when they see this cinematic trailer and goes to the conclusion that its an expansion all of a sudden the patch was amazing it was tremendous good update.. good patch etc etc just because of the trailer.

Yet to find a better word for what thoose people should be called.

And please dont come with the fact that people have “diffreant opinions” because that is not what’s happening here. LS have always been about pve (mostly) story wise. What do you think gonna happen if there is a expansion pack? (set aside the wvwvw and spvp) guess what? more story stuff and areas. What have we gotten this last half year? 2 new areas and story stuff.
So we are gonna get it as a pack + with the feature packs as well in once (if its a expansion however.)

And that i just think is wrong, and saying you criticize because you care when people trash anet so much as they do is also so very wrong.

But hey what do i know

I like trains

Choo choo

Posted by: Filaha.1678

Filaha.1678

1. Who has said that this update is only good because of the trailer?

2. Who has said that the rest of the content in this update is also inherently good but only because of the trailer?

Because let’s break things down here.

Let’s say that in the next update, they have the same living story update which I don’t care about, and haven’t cared about for ages. However, they also have a change, as part of that update, where the wardrobe becomes free to use (please?).

The former doesn’t affect me, and I still won’t like it. The latter would affect me, and I would say it’s their best update in a long time, solely because of that one feature change.

How is this, in any way, illogical?

Ashen.2907

Alright alright stop the hate of me using the word hypocrite in the wrong way. My bad..
still my point with the topic is still people first hate the patches, trashing anet, threating to leave etc, and not enjoying the parts of story and lore and the feature packs etc etc

But then when they see this cinematic trailer and goes to the conclusion that its an expansion all of a sudden the patch was amazing it was tremendous good update.. good patch etc etc just because of the trailer.

Yet to find a better word for what thoose people should be called.

And please dont come with the fact that people have “diffreant opinions” because that is not what’s happening here. LS have always been about pve (mostly) story wise. What do you think gonna happen if there is a expansion pack? (set aside the wvwvw and spvp) guess what? more story stuff and areas. What have we gotten this last half year? 2 new areas and story stuff.
So we are gonna get it as a pack + with the feature packs as well in once (if its a expansion however.)

And that i just think is wrong, and saying you criticize because you care when people trash anet so much as they do is also so very wrong.

But hey what do i know

(some) People did not like A, but they do like B. Seems pretty normal to me. Do you actually expect anyone to like 100% of everything ? The saying, “you can’t please all of the people all of the time,” has stood the test of time for a reason.

You ask, “Yet to find a better word for what thoose people should be called.”

The answer is fairly simple, “people,” or perhaps, “players,” or even, “customers.” Hmm, perhaps even, “normal.”

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

I think that people’s happiness depends much more on the fact they strongly believe this episode will bring to an expansion, than because they liked the thing itself that much.

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: gervasium.4567

gervasium.4567

Are we talking one of those red and white spiral mint hard candies or an Andes chocolate mint ? Mmmmm Andes.

Different people like different things. To some the most recent episode is not mush. Not sure if I will play it. I absolutely hate playing someone else’s character. If the Caith memory seed BS had been handled with a cinematic I wouldn’t have minded, but requiring me to play her in order to progress the story left a bad taste.

This time the only thing you do as Caithe is press f.

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

Most of the positive posts i’ve seen are about the story itself and it’s revelation of the sylvari, which was really well done. It has overshadowed most of the negativity on these forums.

Posted by: ErickDntn.1847

ErickDntn.1847

This time the only thing you do as Caithe is press f.

Actually you can plug off your keyboard and “play” as Caithe in the latest episode while cooking soufflé.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

How does not liking mediocre episodic stuff make me hypocrite?

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

The fact that this topic is still on the front page a day later says much.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

The fact that I like some of the content/developments in this game, and I utterly despise other factors does not make me a hypocrite.

The graphic development of this game has always been fantastic. The story line and it’s presentation has been somewhat less than fantastic. The heavily scripted theme park gaming is really getting on my nerves…

… and infracting me and banning from these forums for saying so is even worse.

I bought this game because “Anet does not make grindy games” and “play the game the way you want to play”.

Yes please. Let’s have more that, and less map based currencies and rewards that force people to play material that they otherwise really couldn’t be bothered with.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: WyldKat.4712

WyldKat.4712

Precision hippopotamus for all!

Zestee, Cryptician Zetti, Zissi The Jack, Zi Mao,
Ziffy Snidehide, Zadie Hawkkin, Zannie Oakley, Zuulja
[ODIN],[NaCl] – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

The fact that I like some of the content/developments in this game, and I utterly despise other factors does not make me a hypocrite.

The graphic development of this game has always been fantastic. The story line and it’s presentation has been somewhat less than fantastic. The heavily scripted theme park gaming is really getting on my nerves…

… and infracting me and banning from these forums for saying so is even worse.

I bought this game because “Anet does not make grindy games” and “play the game the way you want to play”.

Yes please. Let’s have more that, and less map based currencies and rewards that force people to play material that they otherwise really couldn’t be bothered with.

How are you being forced to play material that you do not want to bother with? I play a game VS I am forced to do a thing. How does that work?

Who is forcing you to play the game?

Obviously if you’re indeed bothering with it, you invalidate what you said about not wanting to bother with it.

Let’s just pretend you were actually speaking for yourself rather than for “people” while we’re at it.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Who is forcing you to play the game?

You have some poor reading habits. You read what you want to read, and contradict people just for the sake of it. Where did I say I’m forced to play this game?

Let’s just pretend you were actually speaking for yourself rather than for “people” while we’re at it.

I said “we”. Where?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: KarlaGrey.5903

KarlaGrey.5903

As I believe building castles in the middle of a quagmire is an effort in futility, I rest assured whatever initial sparkle the expansion/LS compilation nXY will bring shall wear off rather fast, with only the truest of fanbois to remain to enjoy the staleness of it all!
tl;dr: If you loved the game so far you’ll continue to do so regardless of expansions, and vice versa.

I am, however, VERY curious how the post-expansion GW2 purchase/retention statistics will look like for original GW players who quit the second game in the first month/half of the release year….

RIP ‘gf left me coz of ladderboard’ Total views: 71,688 Total posts: 363

(edited by KarlaGrey.5903)