I Recant! We CAN Glide in Pact Tyria!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shakugan.4236

Shakugan.4236

Since mesmers can portal you to the end of JP’s, gliding is just a bonus and i doubt there would be any updrafts. They can implement a system where you start the JP’s by activating the flag at the start of the JP to disable the gliding and mesmer portals so you are qualified for the JP credit.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Please don’t ruin core Tyria with gliding… it will ruin JPs make things that used to be challenging easy… and I just plain don’t like gliding… it is a horribly overused mechanic in the new maps… doing jumping puzzles in the new maps are painful since you start gliding when you don’t want to. Gliding makes me not want to visit the HoT maps, if you ruin core Tyria with it where will I go?

Please I beg you… don’t add gliding to core Tyria.

Sorry, too late, you’ll just have to learn to love it…

Game wide fun should not be limited because of JP…

If you don’t want to glide then don’t glide, that is your right.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

Since it basically looks like they are going to do this, and believe me I fanboyed in excitement when I first heard, they should probably look into doing a couple of things:

1) Add in huge invisible walls or killzones/teleportzones surrounding each map. There is no sense in making map breakout easier than it is now.

2) Updrafts should be very limited or non-existent. The point of the addition of gliding in Core Tyria should be because it can be added, not that it is a required mechanic; because it’s not. Updrafts were put in the jungle to help you climb as a sometimes necessary mechanic. It could be explained away as the jungle being the only place capable of causing updrafts.

3) Jumping Puzzles

a) Despite Amethyst Rose’s naysaying, they have a point; please put in a toggle hotkey or option to enable/disable gliding. There are certain JPs that only go up and one wrong keystroke like holding the spacebar just slightly too long may result in your glider popping out and ruining the jump. This is almost certainly necessary as Core Tyria JPs were designed without any consideration for the glider and are sometimes frustrating enough as they are, but the option to use the glider would still be welcome.

b) Specifically for Griffinrook Run, this JP would be trivialized but you could instead add a debuff, let’s call it the “Heavy Bomb” debuff, that disables your ability to glide while carrying the bomb. I really don’t see any other way to handle this one because the JP is so wide open with loads of good jumping points.

Other than that, go ham! I don’t necessarily see a problem with WvW but I bet it won’t be put there and it’s probably for the best.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This is awesome! I might even go back to core tyria now. Having to run through mobs everywhere and run around every little object was so annoying after having access to gliding that I just stopped going back at all.

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

Who cares about jumping puzzles? The rewards are insignificant. Killing any monsters along the way gives better rewards. Only a few jumping puzzles are actually difficult and those won’t be affected that much by gliding.

WvW needed gliding. Not in any of the current maps. Don’t know what they were thinking with that. But they should have designed the new WvW maps with gliding in mind.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

2) Updrafts should be very limited or non-existent. The point of the addition of gliding in Core Tyria should be because it can be added, not that it is a required mechanic; because it’s not. Updrafts were put in the jungle to help you climb as a sometimes necessary mechanic. It could be explained away as the jungle being the only place capable of causing updrafts.

Downdrafts could be used to limit access to certain areas, but a few strategically placed updrafts near the Wizard’s Tower in Kessex Hills would be amazing!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Please don’t ruin core Tyria with gliding… it will ruin JPs make things that used to be challenging easy… and I just plain don’t like gliding… it is a horribly overused mechanic in the new maps… doing jumping puzzles in the new maps are painful since you start gliding when you don’t want to. Gliding makes me not want to visit the HoT maps, if you ruin core Tyria with it where will I go?

If it is a mastery track, you can always not get it.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Firelizard.8916

Firelizard.8916

You fail to understand. People like this aren’t happy if they can stay away from the content. They want no one to have it. Because otherwise it ruins THEIR game.

Swagger.1459

Well, gliding is going in so either love it or hate it. Nobody is forced to glide, and who cares if someone else does or doesn’t.

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

MAYBE SPOILER, MAYBE NOT

So, if will be gliding, must be updraft and… ley line gliding!

But how ley line gliding can be in Tyria?

The answer is… in Hearts and Minds when ley line gliding moved to 4 directions (to 4 Dragons- new Dragon from Glint’s egg, to Jormag, to Kralkatorrik and to Deep Sea Dragon or Primordus). And if ley line passed through Tyria to Dragons, will ley line gliding in Tyria. Same when Mordremoth awakened he consume ley line gliding and… when ley line passed Magus Falls, in Tangled Depths and Dragon’s Stand we can see this. Same now.

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Gliding will make the game interesting in general Tyria, but I am thinking that Anet will likely limit it to the Orrian zones for now. Add a few maps at a time, etc. Would be neat if they did all of Tyria, but it seems like a large amount of work to deal with.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

MAYBE SPOILER, MAYBE NOT

So, if will be gliding, must be updraft and… ley line gliding!

But how ley line gliding can be in Tyria?

The answer is… in Hearts and Minds when ley line gliding moved to 4 directions (to 4 Dragons- new Dragon from Glint’s egg, to Jormag, to Kralkatorrik and to Deep Sea Dragon or Primordus). And if ley line passed through Tyria to Dragons, will ley line gliding in Tyria. Same when Mordremoth awakened he consume ley line gliding and… when ley line passed Magus Falls, in Tangled Depths and Dragon’s Stand we can see this. Same now.

I imagine that core Tyria won’t have lei lines to glide on or even updrafts. That’s one way to keep the existing mastery abilities in check in core Tyria. Without updrafts or verticality near existing JPs, those JPs will be safe from gliding.

It’s more about advertising gliding to players in core Tyria who don’t have HoT and to satisfy the need to jump and deploy gliders for those who do have HoT. How many HoT players forget, at least once, that gliding doesn’t work in core Tyria and need to be rez?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Sicarius.4639

Sicarius.4639

can we also have gliding in wvw? it would make that atrocious desert borderland mildly tolerable.

Soon as it establishes a tactical advantage it’s a sure fire way to get everyone who plays WvW to buy the expansion too.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

can we also have gliding in wvw? it would make that atrocious desert borderland mildly tolerable.

Soon as it establishes a tactical advantage it’s a sure fire way to get everyone who plays WvW to buy the expansion too.

All 40 of them?

(Kidding! I know WvW isn’t that deserted)

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Julischka Bean.7491

Julischka Bean.7491

Lisa stares at the screen with hope in her eyes. I am too unskilled for HOT and so am shut out of gliding. Oh please, please make the ability to Glide in core Tyria something you can achieve in Core Tyria. Make it attainable, and the people who held out on buying the expansion might buy it for this alone.

Something to hope for….

Lisa.

Posted by: Sindex.9520

Sindex.9520

Eh, well I guess it’s good that they are throwing a speculative bone at the community to distract them. Kind of like the pre-order HoT now and it’s the only time we give out an extra character slot for free. Just to shut the community up for a bit.

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I don’t think it will affect many JPs and there could be easy fixes for that such as a few invisible walls or a general area affect that prevents gliding. But even without this, who cares?

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

please put in a toggle hotkey or option to enable/disable gliding.

All they have to do is, in the options panel for Hot Keys, place an option for Gliding in the movement section. This way you can select the Hotkey that toggles Gliding or leave it blank. Then you’ll never be able to Glide until setting a Hotkey.

The only other thing I believe is needed is to remove the “Deploy Glider” nag screen that pops up over your character while falling. It’s extremely immersion breaking and blocks the view of the character completely.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

haha thats really funny. kudos rubi, #1 gw2 troll na.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

You fail to understand. People like this aren’t happy if they can stay away from the content. They want no one to have it. Because otherwise it ruins THEIR game.

I like to give people a benefit of the doubt, before putting them in a box with a certain tag on it.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

This is Gabriel. I hope you are all having a lovely day.

It doesn’t matter what people think, we’re going to find out at some point in 2016.

Anet would not go to THAT length just to troll players.

They realized how much fun gliding made things and they decided to add it to core.

For reasons I won’t divulge, I wouldn’t be surprised if Crystal Desert is next.

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

Thank goodness. I am sick and tired of falling to my death in the Grove because I swan dived off the ledge thinking I had my glider.

That city looks like it was designed with gliding in mind. The sheer verticality of it would make my glider a welcomed addition.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Hope not, unless ALL players are able to use gliders in the core area, not just HoT purchasers.

Posted by: Critical Lag.9075

Critical Lag.9075

I really don’t get people who say some content will be ruined or trivialized like JPs. I mean, you can always chose NOT to use glider when you do JP, right? Also do you care that much if someone does 3 year old jumping puzzle with glider? I certainly couldn’t care less.

I’m sure gliding in core tyria will bring much much, more fun than “ruin” things. Can’t wait for it. -Hype intensifies-

Posted by: Amethyst Rose.4367

Amethyst Rose.4367

You can’t not glide… it does it automatically… you use the same button you use to jump to glide so you end up doing it unintentionally… all the time. If I could disable it I would!

Swagger.1459

You can’t not glide… it does it automatically… you use the same button you use to jump to glide so you end up doing it unintentionally… all the time. If I could disable it I would!

No, it does not happen automatically. You have to manually activate it. Just like you have to manually deactivate it.

Think you need more practice.

Amethyst Rose.4367

That is a lot of garbage you just put into my mouth. I don’t speak for you, please don’t speak for me.

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Well we proably should hold off on adding a feature that almost everyone wants so that you won’t unintentionally ruin your JP experience. Makes sense.

[DONE]

Amethyst Rose.4367

Well we proably should hold off on adding a feature that almost everyone wants so that you won’t unintentionally ruin your JP experience. Makes sense.

These type of comments you should keep to yourself. There is no reason for adding gliding. Since there is nothing in the current zones that require gliding, they were not designed for gliding and will screw up existing content. Yeah … it does make sense.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

These type of comments you should keep to yourself. There is no reason for adding gliding. Since there is nothing in the current zones that require gliding, they were not designed for gliding and will screw up existing content. Yeah … it does make sense.

Well, that was incredibly rude.

Also, I’d like some firm citations of how this will screw up existing content. You keep saying that, but can’t seem to give any actual evidence.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Troll’s revenge will be renamed in “this was once a hard JP now you just need to glide”

Hang gliders reduce in altitude unless there is an updraft. Generally for jps you have to go up rather than down. Granted there are horizontal spots too, but that required precision jumping, which can actually be screwed up by hang gliding, when you intended to do a small hop and actually fly past your mark. Seen it done. Happened to me.

Obviously in HoT, but the premise is the same. I doubt most jpss, trolls revenge included, will be trivialized unless they put updrafts in.

Amethyst Rose.4367

Well, that was incredibly rude.

Also, I’d like some firm citations of how this will screw up existing content. You keep saying that, but can’t seem to give any actual evidence.

Yes their comment was. It is pretty clear it could mess up existing content or they would have enabled it already. Being able to glide down into places that previously would kill you from fall damage. Areas that were treacherous and are now perfectly safe.

Posted by: dbill.7483

dbill.7483

gliding will allow us to explore the area underneath Rata Sum again

Tootsie Popa | level 80 Guardian/Dragonhunter
[ODIN] [roam] Tarnished Coast
“The average player believes they are better than the average player”.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I hope we get it Tuesday!

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Anet in a nutshell:

Can add HoT gliding to Tyria no problems.

Cant fix the respawn position of NPCs or bugged walls in WvW since HoT release.

Was going to put all focus on WvW after HoT.

Brilliant.

Posted by: Arden.7480

Arden.7480

“I hope we get it Tuesday!”

In tuesday Colin Johanson will make topic and He will make a hype

It will be very a slow process. New legendaries and gliding in Tyria we will see in a month or two.

Yeah, should be it in tuesday, but Anet is very very very very very very and… very lazy. We could see it after HoT’s premiere: 23 October- inauguration, 17 November- Spirit Vale and… nothing after this??

So I think gliding will be in a month, but thinking of Anet is very weird…
Anet can destroy all, what has been built when Guild Wars 2 was alive. I’ve seen additives for Guild Wars 1 and that was built with heart, in Heart of Thorns I can’t watch heart. Please Anet, wake up, if is not too late!

When I did story Guild Wars 2, I had tears in my eyes, because that was beatiful, it draw back me to see it again, story with Zhaitan is fantastic, But after Heart of Thorns’s story I am scared, because it is very misguided. We had to wait 3 month to this fantastic news!!!??? Why? My friends in my guild have a break because after 2-3 months without any news (outside 23 October and 17 November) Heart of Thorns can bored. Around 2 months You’ve added Raid and until to Guild Chat we had wait? Please don’t amuse us… Now is time to new decisions, now You can show us what You can and now you can show heart!

Thanks for read. See you in Tyria!

“The Elder Dragon is no more”

(edited by Arden.7480)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Friday’s Guild Chat was Colin hyping the fact there will be news Tuesday hyping their immediate plans for 2016, subject to change. Expect no ETAs on anything other than maybe the balance patch. There will be promises implied and wishful thinking about a WvW revamp coming soon™. Then of course there’s the gliding tease … also coming … eventually.

That’s not going to prevent some from framing it in terms of rainbows and glitter while others will take what’s said as written in stone and expecting it in the next major patch. Basically business as usual on these forums.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

As someone who said that we don’t really NEED gliding in Central Tyria, I must say that it probably won’t cause much trouble, and certainly would decrease the amount of gravity-related fatalities.

JPs: Gliding goes down. Most JPs go up. I don’t see the problem. Although there will be rare exceptions – Griffonrook Run being mentioned several times. (I can also think of a couple parts of the Aetherblade JP where a controlled descent could help, but it would also hinder in some ways, as there are tons of obstructions throughout that place.)

For all her negativity, Rose does bring up one valid point: Gliders do auto-deploy on jumps that last longer than normal (most notably, when jumping to a spot more than a bare smidgen lower than the place you jump from). A possible fix would be a toggle for auto-deployment. This would not disable gliding, but would make it so you absolutely had to manually deploy your glider.

For Rata Sum: There’s a “kill plane” in the map. Somewhere below the widest part of the city, but well before you hit the ground. Exploding down there will still be off-limits…. but I’m very curious what we’ll find on the city’s upper slopes! (Also, I’d LOVE to glide off the top level, circle around, and enter one of the mid-level windows.)

Similar effects can be used to prevent access to out-of-map areas, I assume. But it will be very interesting to see what hidden spots or creative shortcuts gliding will enable.

I would think it would work off the Heart of Maguuma mastery, and not require retraining – for the simple reason that Central Tyria masteries (well, the Pact Commander line, at least) work perfectly well in Maguuma. If it was made a separate mastery, the problem I see as largest would not be having to re-learn it (XP in central Tyria is so much more prolific), so much as that many are probably going to be too short on Mastery Points to do it!

If there are any areas where gliding would indeed be truly problematic or would break existing content, they should be able to make an anti-gliding debuff (as it is, diving goggles prevent gliding, even in Maguuma). How they choose to implemented, I would leave to them, although I like the “heavy bomb” idea for Griffonrook – and it works well, because dropping the bomb disqualifies you anyway.

On the subject of non-HoT owners…. this, I see being a prickly problem. On the one hand, I’m all about low barriers to entry. On the other, gliding is specifically a non-core feature, and making it usable in core areas won’t change that (legendary collections and elite specializations are also non-core features, and yet any old player can run into a Tempest, or a Scrapper, or what-have-you, and see people going after components for their precursors). Non-core features ARE what make the expansion worth buying.

Of course, HoT includes the base game, and therefore has effectively displaced the original as the default “go-to” for anyone buying the game. What Arenanet could do is make Gliding available to anyone with a Full Version account, and therefore only the Free (glorified demo) Accounts would be unable to use it. Of course, since core players don’t have HoT, they can’t get Heart of Maguuma Mastery Points to train it. Unless they do make a Tyrian version of the mastery track, of course.

In the end – as with most things in the game – we will just have to see how it goes. Overall, I think it can work just fine, although Arenane tmay need to tweak it to avoid the worst problems.

And now, places I want to glide from:
Dwayna’s Statue in Divinity’s Reach.
Rata Sum, even though it will kill me.
The frozen waterfall in Lornar’s Pass.
Malchor’s Leap – even without the teaser, the chance to shout “DWAYNAAAAAAAA!” is too much to resist.
The SS Topsy-Turvy – the above poster is right, it’d be awesome to glide down there.
Phoenix Roost in Lion’s Arch. (The Lighthouse.)
Mount Maelstrom’s Caldera. It’d be nice to finally land safely on the ground, and not in the lava!
Karka Hive: Same reasoning.
… and much, much more, I’m sure.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

Gliders don’t auto deploy unless you hold down the jump button. I’ve never made a habit of doing that until HoT, but other people might just do things differently.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Zioba.6182

Zioba.6182

Sry but… Wake up. We don’t even get autoloot. As Anet already statet: Masterys are not for WvW…
But i guess they will find a way to give it to PvP…

Sarcasm is what’s left when all hope is gone

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Sry but… Wake up. We don’t even get autoloot. As Anet already statet: Masterys are not for WvW…

A dev did say a couple months ago they are looking at ways to get quickloot into WvW. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/The-new-auto-loot-doesen-t-work-in-WvW-Merged/first#post5679969 It will probably come with the WvW overhaul they’ve been working on for the past year.

What I find funny about this is, people have been begging ArenaNet to add gliding to core Tyria. Since the teaser all people do is argue about how it can make jumping puzzles trivial.

Do you want gliding in Tyria or not? Make up your minds.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

Will be funny if the glide in core game area is only in some instance part of living story 3 and not open world.

;)

Amethyst Rose.4367

Gliders don’t auto deploy unless you hold down the jump button. I’ve never made a habit of doing that until HoT, but other people might just do things differently.

I made a habit out of it before gliding and now with gliding it messes everything up. Why didn’t they just give us another button for gliding?

Posted by: Byakhee.8652

Byakhee.8652

If gliding was possible in Tyria then there should also be some of the Avian mobs around to snack on the unwary.

In no particular order:

Ambient crow
Eagles
Griffons
Jornmag

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

sigh

I have no words… However, I will reserve judgement and just see how it goes. It could end up wonderful. It could end up a rushed nightmare. Lets hope for the former.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

A dev did say a couple months ago they are looking at ways to get quickloot into WvW. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/The-new-auto-loot-doesen-t-work-in-WvW-Merged/first#post5679969 It will probably come with the WvW overhaul they’ve been working on for the past year.

What I find funny about this is, people have been begging ArenaNet to add gliding to core Tyria. Since the teaser all people do is argue about how it can make jumping puzzles trivial.

Do you want gliding in Tyria or not? Make up your minds.

I don’t think anyone’s complained they don’t want gliding in core Tyria, so much as highlighting a relevant issue that gliding might bring if it is introduced.

It’s a legit concern among others.

That said, I agree with the counterarguments here in regards to that mesmers trivialize every JP in the game. No ones seriously complaining about that.

It’s a non-issue for most people I’d think.

Many JPs wouldn’t be affected all that much by gliding in core Tyria. I’m all for it and I’m thrilled to hear it’s coming.

Lisa stares at the screen with hope in her eyes. I am too unskilled for HOT and so am shut out of gliding. Oh please, please make the ability to Glide in core Tyria something you can achieve in Core Tyria. Make it attainable, and the people who held out on buying the expansion might buy it for this alone.

Something to hope for….

Lisa.

How do you know you can’t handle HoT if you haven’t bought it? Or are you saying that people who haven’t bought it will buy it for nothing else but gliding in core Tyria?

I find both hard to believe. HoT is a solid jump in difficulty, but it’s certainly not impossible if you’ve managed in core Tyria.

Add me in-game. If you see me, send me a tell and I’ll help you with whatever you need in HoT if I’m not busy.

Posted by: kfc.8170

kfc.8170

Why anyone has issues with this is honestly shocking… then again it is the forum… where there is always something for everyone to QQ about. This for sure though surprises me, 6k hrs into the game my honest reaction to gliders being introduced wasn’t all to great… Since the using of them for maybe a good 1 week it has got to be some of the funnest content added to the game it is a win win scenario. People with HoT get to finally or for the first time fullfill their exploring needs in core Tyria, and or make world exploration a good like 5% faster (this coming from someone who has it done 8 times). And lastly gives new FtP players an extra incentive to join the rest of us and glide around to your hearts content.

Tldr
Its fun, no need to QQ.

(edited by kfc.8170)

Posted by: RubiBayer

Previous

RubiBayer

Content Marketing Manager

I totally missed this thread until now. Sorry!

So it’s not a joke, not a troll. See what I said in this other thread.

The trolling I think they were referring to on Reddit was “Gliding in core Tyria and then ending the show without a word of explanation.” And that? Was fun. I loved it.

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

WOOOW so gliding in Tyria is real !!!! Please Anet add this to new WvW borderlands !!!.That would bring back lots of players to new borderlands cause main reason we dont play them anymore is those obstacles we cant get around easy.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Finally will stop “suiciding” and wondering why the glide din’t opened followed by “Oh…”

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16