I bought GW2 long ago and now it's free

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mephsis.7152

Mephsis.7152

if anyone can answer my question it would be great . I bought this game long ago recently decide to play it again then I saw the base game will become free just wanna know if I get microtransaction currency . if no I would not buy the expension it would make me feel that they would do the same again and I would feel I lost the money .

Mephsis.7152

sorry I edited my title . the question should be " I bought GW2 long time ago now the based game is free do I get anything or no ."

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

1) This will sound harsh, but it is not Anet’s fault if you decided to not play the game since its release.

2) By microtransaction currency, I presume you mean gems? Veteran players are not given free gems for having bought the core game before it went free to play. What us veterans got was a free outfit, and if you pre-purchased the expansion, a bonus character slot.

3) You don’t have to buy the expansion to continue to play; if you like, you can easily wait a few months after October 23rd until HoT goes on sale and you can pick it up then cheaper if you still intend to play.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No. You don’t get anything. It’s not Anet’s fault you didn’t play the game. On the other hand, the free accounts have lots of limitations on them. Just the log in rewards, which free accounts don’t get, are one reason it doesn’t matter. There are quite a few restrictions on free accounts you won’t have.

Posted by: Lehtomaki.8705

Lehtomaki.8705

if anyone can answer my question it would be great . I bought this game long ago recently decide to play it again then I saw the base game will become free just wanna know if I get microtransaction currency . if no I would not buy the expension it would make me feel that they would do the same again and I would feel I lost the money .

It’s not free to play for the whole game. There are a lot of restrictions for those f2p accounts so you didn’t actually waste any money.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

No. The base game going to free to play with restrictions does not many anyone who already purchased the game is entitled to any compensation. We’ve got more AP and more money than they have. And are likely to have given their restrictions (they will likely not be able to sell any precursors that drop for them even if they wouldn’t make the corresponding legendary).

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

do you own a car? If yes, it probably can be bought now for way less than at the time of your purchase. Are you showing up at your car salesman demanding the difference?

Seriously, the sillyness in this forum is simply mind-numbing.

Posted by: Faereilos.5106

Faereilos.5106

You get a free outfit – that’s reasonable compensation imo. I mean, do you go and demand freebies every time a product you bought years ago goes on sale?

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

If that’s the case, you shouldn’t ever buy any brand new technology again.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: ehjhey.1894

ehjhey.1894

do you own a car? If yes, it probably can be bought now for way less than at the time of your purchase. Are you showing up at your car salesman demanding the difference?

I was literally about to reply something along the same lines. Anything you bought 3 years ago will have depreciated in value. I was going to use cellphones, but cars are probably a better example since those are actually sold anywhere from 5-10 years before getting a revamp

Posted by: Taiyoroku.1028

Taiyoroku.1028

well, ummm, the restrictions are a joke, so yes you dont getting anything for the money you invest them or now; but hey you can wait another 3 years to get core+hot for free, just wait for a bunch o good folks to pretty much get scammed buying a “new expansion” for a lot of money so people get that for free…

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

You bought a fully unlocked account that has no restrictions unlike the F2P ones. You can see the differences here.

https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/95982157-Account-types-Free-Core-HoT

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Mephsis.7152

thanks for everyone that takes time to read and reply .
I can make my decision now

Mephsis.7152

You bought a fully unlocked account that has no restrictions unlike the F2P ones. You can see the differences here.

thank you very much this what I was looking for

Posted by: Lehtomaki.8705

Lehtomaki.8705

well, ummm, the restrictions are a joke, so yes you dont getting anything for the money you invest them or now; but hey you can wait another 3 years to get core+hot for free, just wait for a bunch o good folks to pretty much get scammed buying a “new expansion” for a lot of money so people get that for free…

For you those restrictions might be a joke but I would rather keep my map chat, slots, tp access etc than trade them for the money I spent on the game and I believe most of the players would.

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

Tell me of another game that rewards you for other players getting a better deal a long time after you buy it. If you feel this way you should probably just wait a long time to see if HoT will be free.

Posted by: Serious.7083

Serious.7083

There are plenty of other games that have gone FTP, GW2 is no different to them.

The FTP accounts will be limited much more than an account with a paid for license.

Had you been signing in daily you would have been rewarded and could have used some of those rewards to buy gems.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

They need to make the limits a sticky per page so we don’t need to keep posting it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: myself.2143

myself.2143

Unless you are extremely cheap and stingy, I have no doubt in my mind you have thrown away more than $60 in the past 3 years on frivolous garbage.

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

I paid for tickets to watch a movie in theaters a while ago, now I see it being shown on TV for free?!? Wtf wheres my money back?

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

The OP was trying to find out what was the difference between an unlocked account and an F2P one — behellagh answered that. (They weren’t so much worried about getting ‘stuff’).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

No because Arena net are evil and just want our money

Pretty much this

If Anet were evil they would have been charging us a subs for the last 3 years like some other companies do.

Please, don’t be over dramatic. :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

i bought civilization 2 nearly 20 years ago. now it’s free. i should probably sue microprose.

Posted by: SamuelV.7486

SamuelV.7486

True story. I wonder if these people are trolls or serious sometimes….

Posted by: Crica.1503

Crica.1503

buying the game gave you the ability to play it at the time, just like buying the expansion will give you the ability to play it as soon as its released – if you don’t think its worth the money to play it now, wait till later, and play for free. problem solved

If I don’t like it, I won’t do it.

Posted by: Malindor.1089

Malindor.1089

I wonder if they know the world doesn’t revolve around them.

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

There are other games that have gone free to play over time. Even WoW, I think. Evolution happens. Welcome to life.