I'd rather be fishing

I'd rather be fishing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Phantax.1369

Phantax.1369

Ok, thats not exactly true, Id rather be doing both.

What Im trying to say is its about time we got fishing as an extra way of harvesting.
WoW had it for years, Rift now has it (much better implementation than WoW too I must say) so as GW2 is probably the best MMO around now, It feels kinda dumb that we dont have it.

The fishing rods, fishing motions/animations are already in the game (NPC fisherman) so a lot of the work already done there.
No need to add extra harvesting tool slots, Rods should go into a weapon slot. After all your fishing, not fighting.

Throw us in a few recipes that require fish, many variations of fish already in Tyria’s waters and job done. Hell throw some fishing outfits onto the TP (we all know how Anet love those gem purchase outfits)
Hmm, could even add it to the new style daily/monthly achieves !

Really its a win win situation, new profession, new recipes, new achieve, poss new titles and instantly more fluff as many people have asked for ! ! !

We’re not retreating… we’re advancing in a different direction !
Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

(edited by Phantax.1369)

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: GraynX.8947

GraynX.8947

I hope they use a little more creativity coming up with a new profession then the same one you see in just about every mmo.

Just my opinion though, and if you like fishing then it probably will differ.

Beat Reporter at www.guildwarsinsider.com

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: BuddhaKeks.4857

BuddhaKeks.4857

Gathering is not profession based, so even if fishing would be implemented, there would be no new profession. Really only cooking needs fishes, if you stretch it, the oil could be used by some armorers and weapon crafting.

You don’t win friends with salad! Sorry I just got caught up in the rhythm.

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

I have to agree with you a little, variation would be nice.
BUT… fishing is easy to implement and fits into helping with other professions such as cooking, potions etc.

Id like to see logging as a way of providing mats for carpentry, but err.. no player housing means nowhere to put items.
Same could be said for painting (mats from gathering) or Sculpting with mats from mining !

Fishing is probably the most usefull new skill we could have, doesnt break Lore in any way, and the mats/finished product has a wider variation of uses !

But if anybody comes up with another viable profession thats usefull and fits into the game, It’ll definately get my backing

Money can’t buy happiness, But it allows you to search in more places to find it !

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

Gathering is not profession based, so even if fishing would be implemented, there would be no new profession. Really only cooking needs fishes, if you stretch it, the oil could be used by some armorers and weapon crafting.

Yeah, my bad choice of wording, new skill I guess would be more apt

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: GraynX.8947

GraynX.8947

Id like to see logging as a way of providing mats for carpentry, but err.. no player housing means nowhere to put items.
Same could be said for painting (mats from gathering) or Sculpting with mats from mining !

Wouldn’t this be a great teaser for future content!

Beat Reporter at www.guildwarsinsider.com

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

Wouldn’t this be a great teaser for future content!

Its nice to hope…lol I could create a Legendary painting and sell it for 500g…rofl
Seriously tho, Id love this game to have lots more content that is purely non-combat orientated.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Scootabuser.4915

Scootabuser.4915

It’s kinda dumb that GW2 doesn’t have a lot of features that most MMOs just HAVE. Like dueling and mounts…

They don’t implement them cause they make peopel SWAD

Insert Personal Achievements and/or Youtube Channel Here

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

Only if they make it fun. Not like wow, throw bait, wait for fish to catch, no interaction whatsoever. If they are willing to make something like Breath of fire 3’s fishing minigame, if anyone played, I’d be more than glad to have it!

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

i fish a lot in real life and would be awesome if you could fish in gw2 (catch trophy stuff like in zelda/fable games). Plus it suites the game perfectly

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

I live on river whole life and fishing is one of things i learned as little boy. Even today its awesome exuse to get away from wife and familiy life for a short while. Fishing is about tranquility and peacful, patient waiting while enjoying nature around you. Thrill of fighting fish while you’r pulling it out is uniqe sensation.
Nothing from above said can be transfered into video game, and some of most booring games ive seen were Thropy Bass and other fishing games, and those were meant to be about fishing not some added mini-game.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

I second the need to have fishing. Not only fishing, but more mini-activities altogether.
And come on ANet, why can’t we sit in chairs!?

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

There IS a distinct lack of fish cooking ingredients, I would expect some for sale from vendors or looted from bags at least. So I would not be surprised if fishing in some way shape or form is already planned for the future.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

ANET said that they intentionally didint make fishing a thing and they said that they will implement it in the future

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Ok, thats not exactly true, Id rather be doing both.

What Im trying to say is its about time we got fishing as an extra way of harvesting.
WoW had it for years, Rift now has it (much better implementation than WoW too I must say) so as GW2 is probably the best MMO around now, It feels kinda dumb that we dont have it.

The fishing rods, fishing motions/animations are already in the game (NPC fisherman) so a lot of the work already done there.
No need to add extra harvesting tool slots, Rods should go into a weapon slot. After all your fishing, not fighting.

Throw us in a few recipes that require fish, many variations of fish already in Tyria’s waters and job done. Hell throw some fishing outfits onto the TP (we all know how Anet love those gem purchase outfits)
Hmm, could even add it to the new style daily/monthly achieves !

Really its a win win situation, new profession, new recipes, new achieve, poss new titles and instantly more fluff as many people have asked for ! ! !

Me too I was so excited when i read and interview about this coming to the game “eventually” but it’s nowhere in sight sadly.

I’d love fishing with props. I want items that will improve your fishing, slots where these items can be equipped, items that can be fished up that aren’t fish, and or fish that have swallowed things while down there that are “bloated” until you open them and they have valuables in them (the ever difficult to find T6 mats like Powerful Blood or Onyx Lodestones for example) I want to be able to make items i can use as props like a tent, a picnic basket and blanket, a parasol, a wooden patio chair, campfire, smoking fish rack things like this would go a long way to improve the game for casuals.

Fishing was well received and fun in both WoW and Rift for me as well. I loved pausing the grind to enjoy how the world looks and spend some time doing an activity to complete achievements and to receive some much needed currency on the side. If my RP friends came around I’d have some fun using the props I made to enhance the experience.

I too would love the classic fishing outfit of the red plaid shirt, bib overalls, leather gloves and rubber boots.

Backpacks are a big thing for me. I loved those in LOTRO and would love to see a fisherman’s backpack.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

+1 for fishing. And a nice fishing pole that you could acquire with a moderate assist to a fishing community. And, Anet, when you think you have the grind just right, halve it.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Oh, gosh, this thread brings back memories of my fishing days in LOTRO when I got the brilliant idea of maxing out my fishing score and finishing all the deeds for it. I did eventually accomplish my goal, but it was a major grind and I never could stomach doing it ever again once I’d done everything.

Even so, I suppose fishing could be done more engagingly in this game and could be cool. I love my chef, so I would go for new fish recipes, sure.

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

Even so, I suppose fishing could be done more engagingly in this game and could be cool. I love my chef, so I would go for new fish recipes, sure.

I agree, some way of making it ‘engaging’ would be great.
Fishing in Rift had a skill element to it, Not like WoW’s 2 click and you caught it. There was an element of timing and skill, which made levelling your fishing a achievement itself.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: ADFX.6179

ADFX.6179

How would fishing work with GW2’s under water mechanics? Would we simply swim down with a net gun and nab a school of fish?

What about dynamic events? Nab the wrong fish and set off a sea monster attack on a local village?

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Sinsko.9342

Sinsko.9342

I love fishing in MMOs… even if its added in as a pointless time-sink to vendor the fish… but would be even better if they added in recipes (as stated above).

I don’t know.. something about it just adds to the experience for me… I loved it in FFXI (fishing up 10,000 Moat Carps for Lu Shang’s…. we don’t talk about fight club), or even coins in Dalaran in WoW.

Just hanging out, enjoying the atmosphere and something to do instead of standing or square hopping while you chat it up in game.

I think ArenaNet could really utilize this in conjunction with our ‘collectibles’ tab have different fish in areas so we can get achievements for ‘collecting’ every fish.

Saints – Ranger / Vincent Nightmare – Thief

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Dang, I really hope ArenaNet will ad fishing into the game, it’s a very relaxing hobby to do in an MMO full of fighting and epic battles

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Terok.7315

Terok.7315

This is an excellent idea. Gives more purpose towards exploration and just plain enjoying the scenery.

Vile Necromancer||Defender of the Beastgate||Slayer of Moa’s

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Somoe.3621

Somoe.3621

Artificer would be another obvious one, fish oil could be an ingredient for potions.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Maybe harpoon fishing? Huge amounts of underwater areas just sit there unused its a crying shame…

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

Artificer would be another obvious one, fish oil could be an ingredient for potions.

Agreed, another valid reason to have fishing added to game

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

They could take the fishing mechanic straight from pokemon and i’d be ok with it, lol.

I’m not sure how other games have implemented it in the past, but all activities are welcome to me.

And fishing sounds like fun different areas with different bodies of water can have different fish. I want to catch me a corrupted quaggan.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

Fishing is NICE. There are fishees already, and instead spend all my life running from drakes, I would fish,

And what we fish is eatable (craftable), with bonus like MF, etc… ~~ Me Likes!

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

I could only imagine how awesome Anet could make fishing, since it’d probably be like a fun mini-game.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

We could even get mats from the fish: scales, blood, bones, etc.
It would be a great way to take a break from monotonous killing. I used to love fishing with Link. We can always hope.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: MistyMountains.3751

MistyMountains.3751

Honestly I wish they would add farming zones…Maybe a mine where u could spend hours simply worrying about farming ore, or a Farm for vegetation.

I also wish skinning was a option from wildlife for skins…There are lots of things about mat farming I would’ve liked to see done differently, but not my game. =/

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

ANET said that they intentionally didint make fishing a thing and they said that they will implement it in the future

Calling it, fishing expansion based in the unending ocean trying to catch the mysterious deep sea dragon.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

I'd rather be fishing

Vorch.2985

Calling it, fishing expansion based in the unending ocean trying to catch the mysterious deep sea dragon.

I’m ready to catch any dragon…

Already got my super rod on Route 12, just south of Lavender Town.

Attachments:

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Cappy.2786

Cappy.2786

I’m ready to catch any dragon…

Already got my super rod on Route 12, just south of Lavender Town.

word.

#microsoft

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

Wouldn’t work, the coast lines are lousy with skelks, drakes, or undead. We’d get aggroed 10 times before we could get a cast off.

Anet would have to change A LOT of spawns and aggro ranges.

I'd rather be fishing

Vorch.2985

Wouldn’t work, the coast lines are lousy with skelks, drakes, or undead. We’d get aggroed 10 times before we could get a cast off.

Or just have designated fishing points with no enemies within 50 yards. They could even be gated in places like Orr.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Or just have designated fishing points with no enemies within 50 yards. They could even be gated in places like Orr.

Also wouldn’t work. We already have people dragging monsters onto people that are AFK just to watch them die. We all know they’d do it to fishers, too. You can’t escape jerks while online.

As for fishing? Personally, I enjoy the “bang, bang, done” rate of gathering already in the game. I don’t think I want something that’s highly involved and takes more time. (Note: I said “think”. I’d still try to be open minded and give it a try.) Or, if fishing isn’t the only way to get certain things, then I could just avoid it and leave it to those that like it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

For people that want time consuming fishing and gathering, I suggest waiting for FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

And I don’t mean time consuming in a bad way. But, it will require effort, skill, and research to do.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Let us plant farms (like planting berry trees in Pokemon, maybe in our home instance, to reduce reliance on RNG of cooking nodes)

Let us fish (all water; maybe have hidden spots like Torchlight and Diablo)

Let us treasure hunt (similar to Rift’s collections or WoW’s archaeology)

I think these would add a lot to the game, not the least of which would be more choice in how to spend our time and added incentive to explore.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Greiger.7092

Greiger.7092

Multiple ways to fish would be nice.

Want to fish from land? get a fishing rod, using the rod gives you fishing controls and spawns some catch-able fish (variable by location of course) in nearby water. Cast out into the water and manipulate the lure from shore. Camera tries to keep the lure and you character on screen at the same time.

If anyone remembers Breath of Fire 3 that fishing minigame is about what I’m thinking. It was very well done, and relatively simple down in the mechanics of it.

Don’t want to have to focus on a minigame? One of the buttons in the minigame activates a simple auto mode. Your character casts the line, and slowly reels it in, before casting again. This causes the fishing to be closer to what World of warcraft has. If you land a fish you get an indication and you just click the lure before it reaches shore to actually catch your fish. If you fail to catch a fish that gets hooked the auto mode ends, to make botting harder. The auto system of course should have a bias for lower ’tier’ fish. If you don’t want to focus on it you shouldn’t catch the harder to get ones as often.

Want to fish from water? Get a net. Activate the net in the same way and fish spawn around you. Swim up to a fish and use a catch ability to catch it. Fish of course try to avoid you, and it should be easier to catch some fish with a net instead of a rod (the fish doesn’t like any bait, but it’s fairly slow) and vice versa (The fish is lightning fast and is quick to flee, but loves bait).

There we go, 2 systems, both functional and relatively engaging ways to fish, and both possible with current environmental weapon mechanics from what I’ve seen.

P.S. And the level of the fish should NOT be dependent on the level of the zone, more the theme of the zone. And ideally you should be able to catch different fish in different spots in the same zone. Just because a sea bass might be a high level fish does not mean you should not be able to find one or two in say, lions arch, or the Silvari starter area, as well as Southsun or Sparkfly. It is a fish, it cares little for your ideas of ’level’.

(edited by Greiger.7092)

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Ickorus.4518

Ickorus.4518

Multiple ways to fish would be nice.

Want to fish from land? get a fishing rod, using the rod gives you fishing controls and spawns some catch-able fish (variable by location of course) in nearby water. Cast out into the water and manipulate the lure from shore. Camera tries to keep the lure and you character on screen at the same time.

If anyone remembers Breath of Fire 3 that fishing minigame is about what I’m thinking. It was very well done, and relatively simple down in the mechanics of it.

Don’t want to have to focus on a minigame? One of the buttons in the minigame activates a simple auto mode. Your character casts the line, and slowly reels it in, before casting again. This causes the fishing to be closer to what World of warcraft has. If you land a fish you get an indication and you just click the lure before it reaches shore to actually catch your fish. If you fail to catch a fish that gets hooked the auto mode ends, to make botting harder. The auto system of course should have a bias for lower ‘tier’ fish. If you don’t want to focus on it you shouldn’t catch the harder to get ones as often.

Want to fish from water? Get a net. Activate the net in the same way and fish spawn around you. Swim up to a fish and use a catch ability to catch it. Fish of course try to avoid you, and it should be easier to catch some fish with a net instead of a rod (the fish doesn’t like any bait, but it’s fairly slow) and vice versa (The fish is lightning fast and is quick to flee, but loves bait).

There we go, 2 systems, both functional and relatively engaging ways to fish, and both possible with current environmental weapon mechanics from what I’ve seen.

P.S. And the level of the fish should NOT be dependent on the level of the zone, more the theme of the zone. And ideally you should be able to catch different fish in different spots in the same zone. Just because a sea bass might be a high level fish does not mean you should not be able to find one or two in say, lions arch, or the Silvari starter area, as well as Southsun or Sparkfly. It is a fish, it cares little for your ideas of ‘level’.

Level 80 Legendary Sea Bass is only biding his time.

Guild: Afterlife [AFTL] (Piken Square)

(edited by Ickorus.4518)

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

Not true at all, I can think of at least half a dozen places that you could fish and be left alone to do it. (I only have 46% map completion so Im guessing a lot more are out there)

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

I am 100% sure fishing will be ingame, sometime later, maybe with first expansion, as mounts, and other things.

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

I'd rather be fishing

Vorch.2985

Use the pokemon method to prevent griefers.

• Cast off your line.
  • Wait 5-10secs for a prompt (exclaimation point over your head or some other cue)
  • Press the appropriate key within .5-1 secs to reel the fish in.

This prevents the player from simply afking so they don’t get griefed.

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I hope they use a little more creativity coming up with a new profession then the same one you see in just about every mmo.

Just my opinion though, and if you like fishing then it probably will differ.

I want fishing to look like fishing.. nothing fancy… I want to cast my line and wait for a fish to bite then reel em in… no lame mini puzzle or game..

Together we stand in the face of evil!

I'd rather be fishing

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

if by fishing you mean killing more stuff underwater, count me in!

I'd rather be fishing

Phantax.1369

Well I have to say, this thread has certainly seen more support than I thought it would. I know Anet promised fishing ‘at some point in the future’ I just hope this obvious show of interest usrges them to make it sooner, rather than later.

if by fishing you mean killing more stuff underwater, count me in!

lol… spot the player that wants to go fishing with dynamite rather than a rod