I don't like the skins

I don't like the skins

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

Please, stop with those bone/leather/stone/rusty skins for weapons and even for armors, like the new one armor, the heavy one, that thing is awful ( the light one is amazing).

I’m tired of those pathetic skins with bone and rusty things on it. I want some nice blueish metal things, or some subtle effects on them.

Seriously, stop with those bone/rusty/leather/stone looking on the skins, please.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

At least there’s plenty of good heavy armor models.

Look at how awesome female light armor is. Then look at how bad male light armor is. This is a cosmetic-driven game where I, as a male spellcaster, can’t find any motivation to search for and earn light armor skins.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

There are a lot of terrible, TERRIBLE armor designs in this game. The worst of them, IMO, are the ones from the black lion trader. The only set that is even remotely acceptable is the original medium armor you could buy for gems. But the light(clown) armor and the heavy armor? Holy crap. And of course the new steampunk armor that could have been awesome but instead looks terribad…

I eventually decided they did it on purpose. They want everyone to run a handful of armor sets, so they make the rest as terrible as they can

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Rhaps.8540

Rhaps.8540

Is it me or were the gw1 sets just far superior? C’mon Anet, at this point I really wouldn’t criticise if you decided to release gw2 versions of your gw classics. You seemed to have a decent armour design team then.

Seafarer’s Rest – Guild Leader The Deamon Army [TDA]

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

There are a lot of terrible, TERRIBLE armor designs in this game. The worst of them, IMO, are the ones from the black lion trader. The only set that is even remotely acceptable is the original medium armor you could buy for gems. But the light(clown) armor and the heavy armor? Holy crap. And of course the new steampunk armor that could have been awesome but instead looks terribad…

I eventually decided they did it on purpose. They want everyone to run a handful of armor sets, so they make the rest as terrible as they can

The Aetherblade armor (light and medium anyway) sets do indeed look terrible, but they contribute some very good parts. The chest, leggings, and boots for the light Aetherblade armor look great, for example. The leggings in particular provide one of the few examples of pants for male Elementalists.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

The problem is ANet suffers from a lack of genre specificity. This game pulls skins from every point on the style spectrum. As a result, there’s a lot of different styles to choose from, but each of those individual styles are generic or have minimal variety. They went for quantity over quality.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

But I love my heavy whatever (the first one released) armor! One of the best sets for heavy armor. Just as I like Braham’s armor (newly released heavy one).

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

The problem is ANet suffers from a lack of genre specificity. This game pulls skins from every point on the style spectrum. As a result, there’s a lot of different styles to choose from, but each of those individual styles are generic or have minimal variety. They went for quantity over quality.

Don’t forget buttcapes. They went in for that also.

Makes you wonder if the artists get a bonus if they design buttcapes or floor length skirts, open in the front.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Please stop making those topics. It is a matter of taste. I love this new semi-heavy medium armor and I want to use some parts from light armor. Someone hates, someone likes!

I don't like the skins

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

Please stop making those topics. It is a matter of taste. I love this new semi-heavy medium armor and I want to use some parts from light armor. Someone hates, someone likes!

Lol, no, i have my opinion and i will SPEAK, thank you very much. I know it is a matter of taste, but there are too many stone/leather/rusty/bone looks in this game.

Also, you guys are talking about the armors, i’m talking more about the look of the weapons.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

Makes you wonder if the artists get a bonus if they design buttcapes or floor length skirts, open in the front.

I happen to like buttcapes because I don’t feel like looking at my character’s hindquarters all day, tyvm.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

Lol, no, i have my opinion and i will SPEAK, thank you very much. I know it is a matter of taste, but there are too many stone/leather/rusty/bone looks in this game.

Also, you guys are talking about the armors, i’m talking more about the look of the weapons.

You did also say armor, so, you opened the door on that one.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

I don't like the skins

Posted by: PistolWhip.2697

PistolWhip.2697

I don’t think you can really point fingers on something as subjective as this, there are many who love the skins you hate. You cant have it all. If there isn’t any skins you like in-game then you are one picky and unlucky individual indeed.

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

They should put in a “Stormbringer” looking sword from “Elric of Melnibone.” A re-skin of “Infinite Light.” Make it a black, two-hander with a wicked hilt and glowing red runes.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Well, that’s just, like, you’re opinion man.

I think they’re good.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

I don't like the skins

PistolWhip.2697

Me too, I’am personally loving the new armor set combo my warrior has more than any other set I’ve ever seen ingame. That giddy feeling!

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Alduin.3410

Alduin.3410

I think the new ones are alright but the past skins have definitely not been the greatest. But to warrant spending $10 on a skin I do hope for better cosmetics in the future.

Warrior at Heart. Beast by Nature. | http://gw2masters.com

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

All 3 new armors look fine. Some people I’ve met in LA were happy that their human warriors/guardians could finally wear a norn-looking armor. And Phoenix armor for female human characters is just extremely popular.

Attachments:

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I came from WoW where I enjoyed every single armor set I picked up. Then I came to Guild Wars 2 where I hate every single armor set. The only armor sets I like in this game are the CoF armor and the Heritage armor.

Anet really needs new armor/weapon designers. I’ve never seen such horrid looking gear in any mmorpg I’ve played, and I’ve played a lot.

And yeah, the weapons could’ve been so much better. I absolutely hate running my Elementalist with a scepter because there’s only about two good-looking scepters, and they’re each 100g+. Same with running a staff.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

I don't like the skins

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

Spend a day in the life of a Charr, then you’ll really know about stupid and ugly skins.

anb4 I found a (singular) cool Charrmour set, human type models have countless cool looking options for armor. It’s bad even when when the lead dev says in an interview that Charrmour is inferior to human models……

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Serval.6458

Serval.6458

They all have obvious tail clipping on charr, I concur that they are stupid and ugly as a direct result (although maybe the former is better suited to the people who made them and the latter the armour itself.)

I don't like the skins

PistolWhip.2697

The Ironic thing about the post above is not only is it true, but that Charr tier 3 Heavy Cultural armor is also one of the best sets in-game according to many people I’ve met. It truly is a draw of luck for the charr lol

MORE BEARDS OR RIOT

I don't like the skins

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Different armors appeal to different people. Personally I find that I like a majority of them. Loving the new pheonix armor…I already have sets designed for mix-n-match combos for that one. Have a couple for the medium as well.

I’d share, but I find most people don’t share my taste in combos and colors. Hehe

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Learn from Terra – add this skin to GW2 http://i.imgur.com/HdZnP.jpg – and see the sales skyrocket.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I get what the OP is saying. Kryan Ranger armor in GW1 was my absolute favorite.

I did buy the store Krytan and promptly threw 3 pieces of it out, because they felt the need to supersize all of the dead animal parts. They do that a lot and it ruins a lot of what would be decent looking armor, to me.

I really wanted a quiver, but passed on Rox’s since it was embellished with overly large mystery spiky things. I assume unknown dead animal parts.

And while I can see that they may indeed be pulling from a broad spectrum of tastes, they really need to look past the “long coat spectrum” on medium. Astonished to see yet another Med long coat offered in the new set.

Like maybe remember armor like this http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Gallery_of_female_ranger_Elite_Studded_Leather_armor

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

(edited by Teofa Tsavo.9863)

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

I came from WoW where I enjoyed every single armor set I picked up. Then I came to Guild Wars 2 where I hate every single armor set. The only armor sets I like in this game are the CoF armor and the Heritage armor.

Considering how ugly WoW skins are, and how ugly CoF armor is, I’m not sure the issue you’re describing is in Guild Wars 2.

IMO, most armors are fine. There some I don’t like, but I’m sure someone else does, and we have a nice degree of variety (other than the medium armor coats).

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

I don't like the skins

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Learn from Terra – add this skin to GW2 http://i.imgur.com/HdZnP.jpg – and see the sales skyrocket.

No, that armor is ridiculous.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I happen to like buttcapes because I don’t feel like looking at my character’s hindquarters all day, tyvm.

And you have LOTS of choices. Much more than the people who don’t want them.

And you don’t have to look at your characters hindquarters all day. You can look at other things you know. It’s possible, just take your eyeballs off his “hindquarters” and roll them around. ^^

Cheesh. What is it with guys and their fixation with their characters “hindquarters”?

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

I don't like the skins

lilstev.3498

Me like a lot!

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

All 3 new armors look fine. Some people I’ve met in LA were happy that their human warriors/guardians could finally wear a norn-looking armor. And Phoenix armor for female human characters is just extremely popular.

Im not immediately recognizing that armor- primarily that headpiece. Which is it, if you don’t mind sharing?

I don't like the skins

Teofa Tsavo.9863

And they would still sell tons of it. It is ridiculous, but when has that mattered?

All that character pictured needs is a pink Quaggan pack, some wings, SAB weapons, and some gloves and pauldrons that are on fire to make the redonk complete.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Funny, I hated nearly every large shouldered, glowy, distastefully ornate armor in WoW, with maybe the exception of the Tier 2 and 3 armor. I don’t like all the armor in GW2, but I like the more grounded look they have much better.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

And they would still sell tons of it. It is ridiculous, but when has that mattered?

All that character pictured needs is a pink Quaggan pack, some wings, SAB weapons, and some gloves and pauldrons that are on fire to make the redonk complete.

It has mattered in GW2, and the armor we have looks practical.

Tera armor is something even Lady Gaga would be ashamed to put on.

I don't like the skins

lilstev.3498

I just wanna put something out there:

Most of the armor in this game is not what I would really consider armor. The heavy and some medium sets, yes those are actual armor…. But light armor in this game should be called light clothes, since there is basically no real armor for a scholar profession…

Look up the definition for Armor, you’ll see it mentions nothing about clothes!

Light armor is in a really bad spot in this game, Anet assumes wearing stylish Prada pants and Gucci top is considered to be a defensive clothing in combat. IMO I feel like scholar professions are trying to model for like a clothing company instead actually wearing something useful and fitting for battle.

But in the end it really is my fault for picking a “light clothes profession”, I should have known they would make it all " America’s Next Top Model Armor (clothes)"

(edited by lilstev.3498)

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

Im not immediately recognizing that armor- primarily that headpiece. Which is it, if you don’t mind sharing?

It’s the new medium armor, it’s called Magitech and you can get it from the gem store.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Please, stop with those bone/leather/stone/rusty skins for weapons and even for armors, like the new one armor, the heavy one, that thing is awful ( the light one is amazing).

I’m tired of those pathetic skins with bone and rusty things on it. I want some nice blueish metal things, or some subtle effects on them.

Seriously, stop with those bone/rusty/leather/stone looking on the skins, please.

Don’t diss Braham’s armor, man!

Many of us wanted to look like ’Bro’ham since he was introduced.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

Uh no. Terra is probably one of the worst places you can find artistic inspiration for females.

Yes GW1 had a fair share of that kind of “inspiration” but compare…

(Terra)http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2662/335786fa7523dd23e537d3b.jpg VS. http://wiki.guildwars.com/images/c/c6/Elementalist_Elite_Luxon_armor_f.jpg

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

I don't like the skins

Teofa Tsavo.9863

It has mattered in GW2, and the armor we have looks practical.

Tera armor is something even Lady Gaga would be ashamed to put on.

your idea and mine regarding practical are very different. LA is a festival of impractical armors and weapons, in my eyes. I love my Human T3 on my Ranger.. but “impractical” is the pretty good odds of her doing a Janet Jackson in any situation that required an arm lift.

And I’m not pro or anti the Terra look, just that labeling it ridiculous in a game full of ridiculous looks is kinda silly.

And it would sell. Ridiculous sells all the time, in every game.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Solo.9027

Solo.9027

Light armor is in a really bad spot in this game, Anet assumes wearing stylish Prada pants and Gucci top is considered to be a defensive clothing in combat. IMO I feel like scholar professions are trying to model for like a clothing company instead actually wearing something useful and fitting for battle.

But in the end it really is my fault for picking a “light clothes profession”, I should have known they would make it all " America’s Next Top Model Armor (clothes)"

This is why my light armor users are sylvari. Cultural leaves>90% of our available skins.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

@OP:

( the light one is amazing)

To each their own.

I don’t like any of it.
/s

@Above posts.
Honestly, we don’t have much choice atm. I think we should have an equal choice from functional and fantasy skins, for now:

- In light skins, we have a large variety of battle lingerie, abstract art lingerie, very few functional and very very few elegant (“noble”) skins.
- In medium skins, trench coats everywhere.
- In heavy armors, lots of uninteresting, but practical skins, then again, not enough skimpy ones.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

I was going to buy the magitech armor, but they had to change the cool steel toed boots to high heels that don’t really even match the rest of the set.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Oh, like that armor is any more ridiculous than SAB, Quagan pack, Dragon Wings, etc,

I don't like the skins

Posted by: mojowalker.3798

mojowalker.3798

I think overall the more variety the better … Tera-esque armor skins, sure, go for it, more “practical” skins, sure, go for it. Skimpy heavy armor, add that too. Actual armor for light-armor wearers, add it. Shiny, ethereal armor, add it in. Smoky, doom-n-gloom armor, yeah, add that too. All of it and more.

Honestly, and I know there are those that would cry party-foul, I think any of the armors should be usable for any of the professions.

Perhaps a warrior has trained so extensively that he/she doesn’t NEED to wander around in armor that looks like a sherman tank ran into a cuisinart. Maybe an ele is so terrified of wandering around in the wild that he/she would feel defenseless in a silky harem outfit. It’s just a SKIN.

And before anyone chimes in with how a guardian running around in winged armor would destroy the immersion …. c’mon, really? You’ve got people running around, flying kites, with steampunk inspired-armor, riding a witch’s broom while playing a trumpet, with a mini-bikini-clad kasmeer chasing after? What exactly am I being immersed in? The Mad Hatter’s tea party?

If the devs are talking about unlocking all weapons for all professions, why not take the extra step and unlock all armors for all professions too.

Oh, and add a few dozen more skins too. From about a dozen different designers, so they all look unique.

“If you can’t beat them, get a bigger stick.”
- Some random quote -
The Walkers and the Whispers, ANVIL ROCK

I don't like the skins

Teofa Tsavo.9863

One reason I vastly preferred the costume system in GW1 is that it was NOT armor, just looks, for any Class. It was appearance that replaced the look of the armor you were actually wearing. This was one I used a lot on many different professions, minus the hat, and it was neat to have an the option for my skimpy armor girls or Warriors.

Attachments:

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Boobr.1678

Boobr.1678

Everyone has a different taste man – for me, the best skins right now are Krytan Armor Skin and a new heavy one, Braham’s Heavy Armor Skin. On the other hand i really hate Profane Armor, and i know couple of people that actually seem to like it. It’s just a matter of opinion, and in my humble one – i want more skins with bone/tribal elements, i simply love those.

What i really want to see is removing of Heavy/Medium/Light categories from skins – if i want to be a warrior who rocks leather and skulls (Krytan Armor Skin) then please, allow me to do so.

(edited by Boobr.1678)

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

Guess Anet has a different design team now. It’s the only reason I can think of why they had a lot of great design in GW1 and hardly any in GW2.

I have a female human guardian. It’s just so difficult to find something that actually looks good. Most of it looks weird or clunky. I dunno, even for light armour there’s only a couple.

In GW1 I collected over 50 elite armour sets over my account…it was great to collect different cool armour sets. GW2…not so much, in fact not at all.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I don’t particularly care for any of this batch of weapons either, OP. If I ever get a weapon claim ticket I will be saving it for future offerings. The lack of shiny blades in GW2 has always been a concern of mine too.

As far as armor goes, I am glad some people like the trenchcoats, and butt-capes. More power to them. I just want to point out that (not including the new offerings) those styles account for over 80% of what is available to medium armor wearers.

Human Males: http://www.gw2armor.com/human/male/medium_list.php

Human Females: http://www.gw2armor.com/human/female/medium_list.php

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

I know your artists have imagination. Let them use it! Long coats may be fine for an Engineer who needs lots of pockets. But “realistically” (if I may use that word in a fantasy setting) Rangers would get them caught in the underbrush, and Thieves wouldn’t be sneaky and maneuverable. Take a gander at the GW1 Ranger armors and tell me what percentage are long coats: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Ranger_armor

It doesn’t rain long or hard enough in GW2 to warrant all the medium wet-weather gear we’ve been given.

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

I don't like the skins

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Guess Anet has a different design team now. It’s the only reason I can think of why they had a lot of great design in GW1 and hardly any in GW2.

I have a female human guardian. It’s just so difficult to find something that actually looks good. Most of it looks weird or clunky. I dunno, even for light armour there’s only a couple.

In GW1 I collected over 50 elite armour sets over my account…it was great to collect different cool armour sets. GW2…not so much, in fact not at all.

Same. GW2, for me, is settling for one look I find “ok” and living with it. Forever.

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

I LOVE THE SKINS.

More skins like this! I really hope not too many flashy skins are added that will make the game into a huge frigging circus. The legendaries already have too strong of an effect to that direction

I don't like the skins

Posted by: Geikamir.6329

Geikamir.6329

If that’s the case, the armor designers are probably the richest at the company.

Toons: Foreseer, Geikamir, Rapscallion, Specimen, Scythian, Zeau, Ärtifact, and Replica.