I don't understand Elite Specializations

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: NeoSoul.4198

NeoSoul.4198

I played GW1, GW2 beta and when it came out but I quit the game shortly after release. I only started playing again last week giving it a second chance and I like it so far. I’ve done quite a bit of sPvP and leveled more than I previously had in PvE as well. I ended up picking a Guardian as my main character to focus on for now after trying almost every class again in PvP. I’m just hoping that I won’t regret that choice with the expansions and Elite Specializations.

So if I understand it right, with the Elite specialization, you are forced to use the associated weapon, utility spells, elite spell and trait that comes with it? You go from a lot of options to almost none? I don’t quite understand in this case why classes like Guardians that is a melee class gets an elite spec that turns him into some sort of weaker version of a Ranger (not to mention that the Guardian has the lowest health pool with the Thief on top of not having a pet). I guess it might be ok for PvE or WvW (I haven’t tried WvW yet) but sounds bad for sPvP which is what I like best.

Is this how Elite Specializations work or I’m wrong about it?

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

With Elite Specializations, you aren’t “forced” to equip anything, simply, that specialization line is more suited to support the use of those new utility skills and weapon.

That isn’t to say the Elite Specializations can’t be used without the new weapon and skills – it certainly can – as most of the new specialization traits will affect the whole profession generally rather than a specific style of play.

Posted by: RashanDale.3609

RashanDale.3609

I don’t quite understand in this case why classes like Guardians that is a melee class gets an elite spec that turns him into some sort of weaker version of a Ranger (not to mention that the Guardian has the lowest health pool with the Thief on top of not having a pet).

That part doesnt make any sense to me. Elite specs are supposed to change the way a class is played. Why is it not fitting to give a melee class an elite spec more focussed on range then?

So if I understand it right, with the Elite specialization, you are forced to use the associated weapon, utility spells, elite spell and trait that comes with it?

No. The only thing youre forced to use is the change to the class mechanic, for example the reaper’s shroud for the reaper instead of the normal death shroud.

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

You should view the elites as “Adding a different playstyle to a current existing class”.

You don’t lose anything you had before. All your skills and utilities are still there. What you do is add on a trait-line that enables you to use a certain weapon and a new set of utilities. So basically you give up one trait line you had before for the elite one.

But don’t let the word “Elite” fool you. You do not HAVE to play the elites to “beat elite players”. It’s different and that is all. At least from my opinion.

And I wouldn’t think about DH right now for Guardian. It needs a lot of TLC. ^-^

NeoSoul.4198

Ok, thanks that’s not as bad as I thought then. As for: ‘’Elite specs are supposed to change the way a class is played. Why is it not fitting to give a melee class an elite spec more focussed on range then?’’ well… if I wanted to play a class that specializes at range with physical weapons, I would be playing a Ranger or an Engineer. To me, it’s kind of as if Warrior’s Elite Spec turned him from a melee fighter into a spell caster. It sounds as if the ‘’Elite Spec’’ would be the one very special and powerful spec and then the spec doesn’t match or fit the core of the class, that’s what I meant (at least for Guardian). It’s probably just me that thought that because of the name they gave it (I wouldn’t have had that original feeling if they called it ‘’Alternative Specialization’’ perhaps).

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

The Guardian has a few ranged options (staff, scepter), and the Dragon Hunter elite specialization adds longbow to the Guardian’s ranged options.

However, there is nothing wrong with equipping a longbow along with your greatsword or hammer under weapon swap. It adds versatility to the profession.

By the way, Rangers also have melee options.

Finally, the role of elite specializations is that in the future, there will be multiple specializations for every profession. However, you can only ever use one at a time.

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

Ok, thanks that’s not as bad as I thought then. As for: ‘’Elite specs are supposed to change the way a class is played. Why is it not fitting to give a melee class an elite spec more focussed on range then?’’ well… if I wanted to play a class that specializes at range with physical weapons, I would be playing a Ranger or an Engineer. To me, it’s kind of as if Warrior’s Elite Spec turned him from a melee fighter into a spell caster. It sounds as if the ‘’Elite Spec’’ would be the one very special and powerful spec and then the spec doesn’t match or fit the core of the class, that’s what I meant (at least for Guardian). It’s probably just me that thought that because of the name they gave it (I wouldn’t have had that original feeling if they called it ‘’Alternative Specialization’’ perhaps).

Yeah it’s a bit confusing at first when you just skim over the details. Guard’s DH probably has the least synergy with it’s core compared to the others that have been introduced so far. So it’s probably the worst one to zone in on to start understanding the concept. I didn’t until now realize it’s the only “melee” core class that has been revealed so I bet it does look odd to see it changed almost entirely. If you have time I would check out the Point Of Interest this week on twitch. It’ll help you understand the newest elite. It’ll be “Glint” Legend for Rev.

Posted by: Incantus.8960

Incantus.8960

I think you have slightly to narrowminded view of the professions of this game.

Longbow simply gave Guardian another range alternative to the scepter, along with a new playstyle with traps and all that. And the virtues were changed into more distance relevant versions.

You mention a warrior as a tank, but they arent really, sure they can be very tanky, but guardians do a better job of being a tank most of the time, where as warriors can for example provide alot of group utility in might stacks and banners and such.

The Reaper adds a more melee centric focus to the necromancer, something they previously only had in the dagger.

The Chronomancer adds tankiness to the mesmer, along with some silly new tricks thanks to resetting CDs.

The Dragonhunter gives the Guardian a more focused long range weapon, and it gives them some utility to keep enemies at range.

The Tempest provides group support, something I feel the elementalist already had plenty of, and some neat AoE effects, again something I feel they already had. As such I feel the tempest while conceptually cool, didnt really add much to the ele.

The Revenant fills the void of having a midrange heavy armor class who can adapt on the fly to the situation at hand, while either providing CC, Damage or support to the team.

All in all, everything Anet has added so far I feel really accents group dynamics beyond what we currently have, more tuning is needed, but they are def on the right track imo.

NeoSoul.4198

Well, my main worry with this is class homogenization like I’ve seen in many games. I like how in GW2, the classes feel like they have their own strengths and weaknesses. I know that the Longbow adds more utility to the Guardian but if you take a moment to read what the new spells do and the spec traits, it seems to have very little synergy and use with the other weapons. You won’t make a build revolving around the ranged weapons, it just isn’t good for that class just like you won’t go GS+Staff on a Ranger, most of his kit isn’t suited for being a melee fighter.

So with the Guardian, the Bow could replace the scepter if you’re being kited or need some ranged dmg which might be nice but at the cost of a whole spec line that offers almost nothing for your build. Laying down traps where you are with 1 sec cast time will not synergize well with a class that is slow and has to chase after targets and it won’t be able to compete at range with a true ranged class. I understand that it’s nice to get different options but it just doesn’t fit the class, doesn’t synergize at all with it and will be a weaker choice in the end. It’s a bit how my Norn has access to Bear form and Wolf form transformations in PvE. It’s cool, adds flavor and is fun but even if I could pick that in sPvP, I probably wouldn’t use it.