I fear guild wars two will wane unless they bring out new stuff soon

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: August.2678

August.2678

I love how people are like show me you world completion blah blah blah. Maybe some people don’t enjoy exploring just as much as some people don’t enjoy the so called gear treadmill. Why should they be forced to do something if they don’t enjoy it? Because you tell them too? ……….Please

Nobody’s forcing them to do anything. If they don’t like a game absent of that stupid gear treadmill, they can go back to pandas. Doesn’t mean they should come in here whining about it and expecting ArenaNet to change a core idea the game was founded on.

But we are not talking about changing the core idea or anything like that.

nastyjmanThat explains why there were kittens muddled in some posters emotionally charged responses.

Posted by: Dedish.7923

Dedish.7923

“Nobody’s forcing them to do anything. If they don’t like a game absent of that stupid gear treadmill, they can go back to pandas. Doesn’t mean they should come in here whining about it and expecting ArenaNet to change a core idea the game was founded on.” ( quote thing wasn’t working lol )

There is a difference between whining and having a opinion, you would do well to learn it. The gear treadmill is still there it’s just not the typical raid gear treadmill. Instead it is a treadmill for different looking sets of gear because you wanna look good, or in reality because there is just a lack of anything else to really do

As far as go back to pandas, that comment just makes you look like another fanboy troll and extremely ignorant.

Life sucks wear a helmet

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

The concept of a treadmill is different from the concept of a grind.

A treadmill is where you are constantly walking and not actually getting anywhere. Progression gear games have a treadmill because there is always another tier of gear to get, and so you’re constantly working and look like you’re making progress except that you’re really not, because the goal line is always being moved. That’s a treadmill — the key is that it presents an illusion of progress.

A grind is simply repetition. So, learning how to play chords and scales on a guitar is a grind — you will be grinding them a lot until you learn them cold. Grinding in a video game is similar — you do something repeatedly until you get the goal you want. But the goal isn’t always moving — your progress is not an illusion, like it is in a treadmill game. So, in GW2 there is a grind for legendary gear or for some of the dungeon gear sets and so on, but it isn’t a “progression” grind such that there is always another tier coming and the goal line will be moved — it’s a grind towards a set goal.

In short, GW2 has cosmetic gear grinds (which was always advertised to be the case), but isn’t a gear treadmill because unlike a gear treadmill game (e.g., WoW, RIFT, etc.) the goal line isn’t always being moved back, leaving the player stuck on the same treadmill under the illusion of progress while really remaining in the same exact place relative to the goal.

Dedish.7923

The concept of a treadmill is different from the concept of a grind.

A treadmill is where you are constantly walking and not actually getting anywhere. Progression gear games have a treadmill because there is always another tier of gear to get, and so you’re constantly working and look like you’re making progress except that you’re really not, because the goal line is always being moved. That’s a treadmill — the key is that it presents an illusion of progress.

A grind is simply repetition. So, learning how to play chords and scales on a guitar is a grind — you will be grinding them a lot until you learn them cold. Grinding in a video game is similar — you do something repeatedly until you get the goal you want. But the goal isn’t always moving — your progress is not an illusion, like it is in a treadmill game. So, in GW2 there is a grind for legendary gear or for some of the dungeon gear sets and so on, but it isn’t a “progression” grind such that there is always another tier coming and the goal line will be moved — it’s a grind towards a set goal.

In short, GW2 has cosmetic gear grinds (which was always advertised to be the case), but isn’t a gear treadmill because unlike a gear treadmill game (e.g., WoW, RIFT, etc.) the goal line isn’t always being moved back, leaving the player stuck on the same treadmill under the illusion of progress while really remaining in the same exact place relative to the goal.

Uh huh, and as new content is released I’m sure new sets of gear with new skins will be released as well or where is the reward in running said new content. With no sense of gear progression the only things players have to give them any sort of sense of pride and or accomplishment with their characters is to farm the new and differently skinned gear. Hence it still being a gear treadmill.

Life sucks wear a helmet

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

sense of gear progression

If that’s what you’re looking for, you’re playing the wrong game. And given we knew that there would be no gear progression a very long time before release, why did you buy it expecting there to be gear progression?

I’ll admit it; I’m a fanboy. But for the craziest of reasons: The game’s actually good. That doesn’t give you an excuse to write off objectivity. If you walked into this game thinking there would be gear progression, despite ANet saying countless times that there wouldn’t be, then you have nobody to blame but yourself for buying a game you decided to not look into.

Be an informed consumer next time.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: knightblaster.8027

knightblaster.8027

The difference has to do with “progression” and it being required in order to access content. That’s quite different from a voluntary vanity grind.

Dedish.7923

No not really but everyone is entitled to their opinion

Life sucks wear a helmet

Posted by: DusK.3849

DusK.3849

everyone is entitled to their opinion

As uninformed or negligent of prior information as it is.

Like rock and metal remixes of video game music? Check out my site and get your headbang on!
Also, check out Hardcore Adventure Box: World 1, World 2, Lost Sessions
Main Character: Dathius Eventide | Say “hi” to the Tribulation Clouds for me. :)

Posted by: asmariya.1096

asmariya.1096

Its been a month, and people want expansion already…They could release infinite content and people still won’t be pleased.

=^.^=
Elesh of Norn
Guardian

Posted by: grimpiggy.6301

grimpiggy.6301

People need to take things slower rather then rushing to the end.

Hyleks for the win.

Posted by: daemonlama.5413

daemonlama.5413

For those saying that MoP will kill this game if ANET doesn’t get on the ball….please.

This game has sold over 2.5 million copies, with more being sold daily. Even if one million people leave, we are still left with a very healthy population of players. On top of the fact that this isn’t sub based. And this is a very good, solid game that will keep people playing and/or coming back for more.

If you rushed through this game, or ‘chose’ to skip/ignore half of the content, then that is on you. That isn’t the fault of the game. If you purchased this game with little to no research on what this game openly and repeatedly said it was about. And how it worked, that again is on you. I am not being hateful (cause I know you will read it like that), I am just speaking the truth. I never put my money on something without fully informing myself to make sure I will not be wasting money on something that doesn’t suit my needs/wants.

It is humanly impossible for a game to create enough content to satisfy this type of rush player. On top of the fact that GW2 never once said the game starts at 80. but rather at level 1. So, in other words, slow down, take you time and enjoy the journey.

Posted by: Nodrog.7458

Nodrog.7458

Yes, we should all play the game in short intervals to have fun right? I wouldn’t call hitting 80 in 2 weeks “rushing” to the end when you are literally spoon-fed massive amounts of exp for doing anything in the game.

Posted by: Birdy.4816

Birdy.4816

Yes, we should all play the game in short intervals to have fun right? I wouldn’t call hitting 80 in 2 weeks “rushing” to the end when you are literally spoon-fed massive amounts of exp for doing anything in the game.

Logic is not allowed here apparently.

The ammount of defensive excuses people come up with is insane.

Even Guild Wars 1 lasted longer than this game with 20 levels, and was very hard and challegning and encouraged STRATEGIC group play….

This is mostly flash with no substance.

Posted by: Darkscar.3280

Darkscar.3280

I see what the poster is saying. But I have to agree with DuSK 100% all mmos start out like this. BUT that being said This games longjevity will be based on its content support I HOPE they have something out to counteract MoPs realese on the 9/25/2012!!!

Posted by: bcbully.7289

bcbully.7289

The last 4 days I’ve logged in 4 times and have stayed on a total of about 10 minutes… It’s missing a lot. Character progression is a bismal.

Posted by: Riyu.2103

Riyu.2103

I am in the same boat. i am bored as kitten.

lv80
60g on the bank
300k karma
4 different exotic sets of gear (dps, tanky dps, healing, condition) for my ele
full set of fancy (imo only good looking skin) CoF armor (yes, you need to go there over 100 times to get the full set)

Now i only want to do W3, but i cba waiting in the queue for more than 8 hours, or probably miss the invite because being in windows, afk or whatever, what about an alarm sound if its ready? I am doing 5 to 10 or more sPVP games a day, but thats it, I get bored of it always the same stupid capture the flag. If i want to play proper CTF i go play UT, q3, or tf.

you will say, change server.. why should I if i have a guild of 50 people there?

Posted by: Sekai.5708

Sekai.5708

If that’s what you’re looking for, you’re playing the wrong game. And given we knew that there would be no gear progression a very long time before release, why did you buy it expecting there to be gear progression?

I’ll admit it; I’m a fanboy. But for the craziest of reasons: The game’s actually good. That doesn’t give you an excuse to write off objectivity. If you walked into this game thinking there would be gear progression, despite ANet saying countless times that there wouldn’t be, then you have nobody to blame but yourself for buying a game you decided to not look into.

So everyone who likes what you like is fine, and everyone who doesn’t should leave. Great logic. Maybe if you spent less time trolling every single thread about the endgame, they wouldn’t keep getting closed.

Character development is a core aspect of RPGs. It doesn’t have to be a gear treadmill, but if it’s absent entirely, the game simply won’t retain a lot of players and not enough will be around to buy expansions. Just as some people aren’t interested in gear treadmills, some people aren’t interested in achievement treadmills, collection treadmills, or mapping treadmills. It would make sense to include SOMETHING for progression-oriented people, else most of them won’t be around to buy the next expansion—and GW2 needs to retain a significantly higher percent of its customer base in terms of buying expanions to be profitable.

Also, the dungeon section of the main GW2 website states quite contrary to random blogs that came out just prior to its release that dungeons will reward epic gear, and doesn’t give any indication of “aesthetics only”.

(edited by Sekai.5708)

Posted by: juiceman.2870

juiceman.2870

Im sure they are looking at the end game and adding new stuff. The game has not been out that long I have 1 guy at level 36. New content never keeps pace with hardcore people that max it out fast.
Realistically without any sub fee they could just leave it like this and there will always be new influx of players and pvp will always be there to keep it going. Im sure they will Im just saying for free you just be thankful they add anything.

(edited by juiceman.2870)

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

The majority of players HAVEN’T leveled to 80 on one toon. Just because you RUSHED the content doesn’t mean they need to make NEW content for the rushers which are probably less than 1000th of a percent of the whole community. When the MAJORITY of the community starts to reach level 80 then they’ll probably add some more content I’d say in about SIX MONTHS or so.

Posted by: ravinhood.3981

ravinhood.3981

So everyone who likes what you like is fine, and everyone who doesn’t should leave. Great logic. Maybe if you spent less time trolling every single thread about the endgame, they wouldn’t keep getting closed.

Character development is a core aspect of RPGs. It doesn’t have to be a gear treadmill, but if it’s absent entirely, the game simply won’t retain a lot of players and not enough will be around to buy expansions. Just as some people aren’t interested in gear treadmills, some people aren’t interested in achievement treadmills, collection treadmills, or mapping treadmills. It would make sense to include SOMETHING for progression-oriented people, else most of them won’t be around to buy the next expansion—and GW2 needs to retain a significantly higher percent of its customer base in terms of buying expanions to be profitable.

Also, the dungeon section of the main GW2 website states quite contrary to random blogs that came out just prior to its release that dungeons will reward epic gear, and doesn’t give any indication of “aesthetics only”.

How many of your ACHIEMENTS have you completed? You who want PROGRESSIVE treadmill? I’ll bet you haven’t completed 1/3rd of them yet you are here crying and whining the game should give you what you want. lol

Posted by: Mrflushy.8342

Mrflushy.8342

Just cause some player’s don’t enjoy PVE type content. Don’t mean the game is going to die cause of lack of new content. Go explore each area and do heart quests, skill points and ect. If some player’s don’t care about doing them cause they don’t like PVE content.

That’s the players problem but they would be missing out on a lot of content.