I feel like Anet is abandoning Guild Wars...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

I disagree. I’m a believer in rotation. Old staff leaving the company means new people joining the team. New people = new ideas. I think we’re in for a treat.

I agree with this. To build on it, staff at Anet, indeed staff at most companies, are people working for a living. I would hope that most love their job and are engaged and excited with it. But people move on. Companies, products, and games should (hopefully) outlive the people who work on them at any given time. Jobs are components of careers and people make moves not just because they are worn out on a product but because they have career opportunities, family situations, or simply want to do something else for a bit. GW2 has been active going on five years now but those who worked on it started long before that. So, six, seven, eight years in a job…that’s a long time.

And…I agree with zomgbuffalo. Getting some new blood, new ideas, new energy in…these are good things. I am also confident.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I really don’t have strong and supported arguments, so this is pretty much my bias and intuition. Still, I feel there is enough “bias evidence” to have this concern.

I can’t but not notice how many people which were the ones who created GW2 (and even Guild Wars) have left it for other company and other game. That is a big alarm for me. For me it says those people lost the passion for Guild Wars 2, they lost vision for it, or maybe they don’t even enjoy the way GW2 changed and is changing.

So … how does that mean that ANet is abandoning the game? I don’t get it. Employees that leave Anet are not Anet employees. They get new people, new ideas … people that see from outside to understand things that do and don’t work.

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

I really don’t have strong and supported arguments, so this is pretty much my bias and intuition. Still, I feel there is enough “bias evidence” to have this concern.

I can’t but not notice how many people which were the ones who created GW2 (and even Guild Wars) have left it for other company and other game. That is a big alarm for me. For me it says those people lost the passion for Guild Wars 2, they lost vision for it, or maybe they don’t even enjoy the way GW2 changed and is changing.

So … how does that mean that ANet is abandoning the game? I don’t get it. Employees that leave Anet are not Anet employees. They get new people, new ideas … people that see from outside to understand things that do and don’t work.

I don’t think they’ve abandoned the game, but some parts of it which have left some of the core players that got the game back in 2013 pretty bored.

Something has changed, even the new living story doesn’t speaks to me at all in comparison to the older stuff. Too much dialogue and not enough gameplay.

Maybe it’s actually better for Anet to not spend anything on WvW and to keep going that way, only them know whats best financially. For PvE I prefer to have dungeons scattered across the map with difficulty settings over one Fractal hub where all themes are mixed. Just generally I find PvE content is either too easy or at the opposite frustratingly hard. I’m never going to bother with content that doesn’t leave space for build variety, WvW or Raids, it’s all the same: the gameplay is stale because there is little room to experiment.

For myself however I won’t pre-order the next expansion like I did with HoT; I’ll wait to see what WvW improvements have been made, if the elementalist elite spec is actually fun to play this time around, if they added a GvG mode and if my friends are coming back.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

I’d love to see more focus on lore. I had the luck of a good guildie who told me the story behind most parts of ascalon. But it would be nice to give the lore more importance. And I don’t mean only books are plates around the world.

I cannot say THIS hard enough. Seeing similar places after the Searing and really experiencing what Ascalon became and realizing I was standing in the ruins of a place I once fought for my life in …? That was awesome.

But it’s meaningless to so many players because nothing’s there to say “Hey look! This is significant and important enough that we kept pieces of it lying around!”

Heck, there were players who spent time overlaying the GW1 and GW2 maps and realizing they matched up quite well. Clearly the development team put a ton of effort into presenting us Tyria 200 years later — and yet there’s so very little inside the world itself to make that known unless you were there.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

I disagree. I’m a believer in rotation. Old staff leaving the company means new people joining the team. New people = new ideas. I think we’re in for a treat.

I agree with this. To build on it, staff at Anet, indeed staff at most companies, are people working for a living. I would hope that most love their job and are engaged and excited with it. But people move on. Companies, products, and games should (hopefully) outlive the people who work on them at any given time. Jobs are components of careers and people make moves not just because they are worn out on a product but because they have career opportunities, family situations, or simply want to do something else for a bit. GW2 has been active going on five years now but those who worked on it started long before that. So, six, seven, eight years in a job…that’s a long time.

And…I agree with zomgbuffalo. Getting some new blood, new ideas, new energy in…these are good things. I am also confident.

I’d say the down-side to this idea is its counterpart: that successful concepts may fall to the wayside as their proponents leave or are ousted (whether by “new blood” banding together or simply moving on to other positions within the company).

And for some veteran players that’s a very big concern. Because the more the game changes, the less it’s the game we got hooked on 4 years ago.

I won’t discount that some of the new people have really helped revitalize the concepts in the new Living Story and Heart of Thorns, but the execution of them is flawed and doesn’t feel like Guild Wars. It’s more like any other MMO to me — listen to dialog, fetch a thing to progress a chain of events, farm some more, then move on.

And I agree with a prior poster on the previous page; LS3 and LS2 just aren’t doing it for me. LS1 was a kittened mess, but at least it felt like an action-filled adventure where things were evolving as they went, rather than “Here comes the Commander of the Pact; let us have a nice conversation with them before we close this chapter.” — because that has been kind of … it, so far in LS3, at least as far as I’ve progressed. And that included getting revenge on Jade constructs for how big a pain in the kitten they were back in the day. I found more engagement in Firewatch (that walking simulator).

Honestly, it feels more like ANet is trying to find a new “platform” by which to appease players. HoT drew in lots but upset many when they learned it was an Orr Temple Run zerg on steroids, so we got HoT-lite maps in LS3, which isn’t quite working either. If anything, I’m worried that they’re going to continually change things to the point that we’ll end up with sections of the game that no longer resemble the game. And we’re getting pretty close to that with how disparate LS2/3 and HoT content are to the entire rest of Tyria.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

my own 2 cents here….

Frequency and substance for this game are being poorly modeled after other franchise that do it better.

Other games get away with the 2-3 month update model because they legitimately push 2-3 months worth of content/gearing/progress/story. Gw2 pushes maybe a day worth of content (24hrs) and expects the play to spread it over a 3 month window. It doesn’t work and can’t work.

If Anet wants to improve they need to re-think how to attain longevity and how they want their modular game to thrive.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I think that’s a little sensational … Anet definitely pushes more content than a day’s worth for the market they target. Remember, the whole premise of this game is aimed at casual gamer. I think if I went back to a few hours a week of playtime, I would be challenged to complete the LS segments before the next would be released.

To be fair, I don’t think any MMO gets this right and IIRC, Anet isn’t so big like other game devs that get it closer. I’ve yet to play any release/expansion that has so much content, that I’m JUST finishing it right up to the next one. Of course, that just says one thing … ‘amount’ of content is not an objective measure. I think that MMO’s use the tactic to drag out content by making it overly cumbersome or difficult or unappealing. That creates the illusion that there is ‘more’ to do than an MMO that doesn’t.

Despite the sensational, I do think there isn’t enough depth behind the achievements and the content. Everything is relatively the same level of difficulty. I would like to think some small percentage would be exceptional in some way.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

most games that have content every 2-3 months use artificial gating to limit people from doing it in a day, but the amount is similar.
I’ve played ESO and Neverwinter, and the content each 2-3 months is roughly the same, but GW2 doesnt’ limit it artificially, meaning that some people that are more hardcore and play for hours can finish it in within the day.

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

OP is contradicting himself pretty hard here. Caithe and Faolain’s love story was there from start of the game. Also dragons were original bad guys of GW2. Saying you want to get rid of those is moving to a different direction than originally intended. Yet OP wants a more conservative approach and doesn’t want the game to evolve and is affraid of new employees’ vision.

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

-snip-

People which are left can be completely “new staff”, people which aren’t the original creators and they have completely different vision and passion. And personally, I am VERY afraid of those new people! They can completely change the game, the way it feels, the way story is told, the way Lore is continued, the way Story should be can be changed! We shouldn’t forget how many times GW2 went into modern issues (mainly lgbt and feminist movements) for some personal agenda members of GW2 have. Games should be games, not modern politics.

My favourite soccer team of 10 years ago does not consist of anybody who played back then anymore, they have been completely replaced by new players, some of which are promising or better, while some will be nowhere close to the legends like those in the past.

Another problem I have is lack of the skill updates, there is no reason for it, except low amount of passion for fixing disbalance.

I agree with that one. It is my opinion that Arenanet needs a better balance team and a better economist too

There is also a fact many features are already abandoned, we can’t forget dungeons and we can’t ignore the fact most features which are promised still aren’t done (legendary weapons, armors, etc.).

The Wii worked, the Wii U did not. Some old features get outdated, some new features do not fulfill what they were meant to. Some are replaced with newer features, some things are still in the work and may or may not work. That’s how the world works, nothing new.

There is also WvW which feels very abandoned. It feels like Anet doesn’t have enough passion for working on it, like they have lost vision for it, what it should be, how it should be played for us to really enjoy it.

Soccer, Tennis and Chess have not changed much during the past many many years. They are still fun to play as they are. WvW is a story-less, never ending war in the mist that restarts every week can be compared to such games. Some people do not enjoy Chess, and some will not enjoy WvW.

I am afraid they are doing everything with minimum amount of the passion and that scares me! Some do like HoT, some don’t. Tho we can all agree that it is different type of game, it’s different vision, different passion, different staff…and it personally doesn’t feel like Guild Wars universe.

Story is also a big alarm, it feels so lost, so rushed in some parts, so slow in some others, like they are buying time to create something for us, so they leave us with some useless drama to keep us “entertained”.

Also I feel like Guild Wars lost the touch of it’s original universe! Since the EotN it was suddenly only about dragons! Dragons, dragons, and dragons. And more dragons. And only dragons. That is not what Guild Wars universe should be about. Guild Wars has rich Lore, which isn’t even touched in Guild Wars 2. I ask myself, why?

80 years ago America was fighting the Germans in WW2. 10 years ago America was fighting a war in Iraq. Different times have different heroes, different enemies, different weapons, and different professions. In 250 years, we switched from Shiro Tamagochi to Mordremoth. We now have Greatswords, and Engineers. Gwen is dead and Taimi is our new Gwen(yes she starts as a kid in pre-searing, Taimi may grow up into the new Gwen over the next few years and so can Aurene, dont be surprised). Yes, Guild Wars changed over the past 250 years.

With all my heart I wish Guild Wars 2 is already done with dragons, at this point I don’t even care how we kill them, do we kill them, or will they destroy us. I just want that story to be over, so we can get new enemies, ones which aren’t connected or manipulated with/by dragons! I want new nemesis like Shiro was, or Abaddon, or White Mantle and Titans!

This is all pretty much big bias from me, but I must say it somewhere, I must put it out of my chest, because my dear Guild Wars doesn’t feel like Guild Wars, it feels like a World with no passion, with no vision. It feels lost, different and abandoned.

I don’t want History to be repeated. Because Anet already did leave one of their games

I’ll put it bluntly: Guild Wars is indeed dead, Guild Wars 2 is alive. You can live in the new world or die with the old one. A dragon came to burn the world, do you fight it back or simply sit down thinking back about how you once beat a puny Lich?