I feel like this game lacks something...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Duel in pve = mesmer thief show off to new players…. nothing more than that,…. we dont need mode care bear on gw2.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Posted by: Hyrai.8720

Hyrai.8720

Id also like to add to OP that there should be an icon with text next to player hp bar indicating if said player want to duel or not, lowering the chances for people even asking, and in the process respecting that.

oooor (known from several other MMORPGs with open-world-pvp):
a menu setting to toggle, which instantly declines duel-invites automatically.
so someone who doesn’t want to duel doesn’t even get bothered with an invite.

also i think that’s pretty much what the OP meant by:

For those scared of being spammed: By default everyone should have “Allow duel invites” on decline. Nothing will change for those that don’t want to duel. Everything will be the same for them.

(edited by Hyrai.8720)

Posted by: elkirin.8534

elkirin.8534

Firstly, words like “scared” , “only”, “Everybody”, they can massively undermine your messages. IMHO, they are rubbish words and do not represent the posters opinions very well at all.

To the OP’s suggestion, an entire map that allows mutual pvp, or consentual duelling is not so bad an idea. Possibly not on Anet’s priority list and not likely across the entire tyria but not a bad idea.

Possibly Anet could duplicate a map and allow duelling requests on that map.

Dubain – Sea of Whoever we are Linked to now

Posted by: Orion Templar.4589

Orion Templar.4589

I can see the arguments for “on the spot” dueling, but I think the arguments for having it in a separate space, possibly even instanced, make more sense. For example if two people were in Queensdale and wanted to duel, would they then show as “foes” to other players, or still show as “allies”? If foes, what would stop the uninitiated from joining in and attacking? If allies, what’s to stop other players from tossing in a healing turret or other boon to skew the duel?

Besides the logistical challenges and making the mechanics work in the open world, my opinion is that it also creates the wrong atmosphere. In PvE, it’s us versus the enemies – you want to always be grateful to see other players coming because we’re on the same team. Having pockets of player fights going on, even if they don’t directly affect you, just creates a different atmosphere that I’d argue is detrimental.

A dueling option carved out in its own dedicated space though? I’m all for it. Gives those who want it a place to go, and those who don’t care for this something to safely ignore.

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

Firstly, words like “scared” , “only”, “Everybody”, they can massively undermine your messages. IMHO, they are rubbish words and do not represent the posters opinions very well at all.

To the OP’s suggestion, an entire map that allows mutual pvp, or consentual duelling is not so bad an idea. Possibly not on Anet’s priority list and not likely across the entire tyria but not a bad idea.

There are already 4 maps in WvW for dueling AND the PvP area AND the guild hall, no more are needed. I have played all types of MMOs since the old BBS days, I have seen the toxic community pop up with dueling, I don’t need to flex my whatever to prove to someone else I can kick their butt, I do that enough with all the enemies that are already in the game.
Even if there is an auto decline you will still get harassed, happens in every other game that has dueling and would happen here. Seen that in too many other games to think it won’t happen here. Even if it’s not texting about how “scared” someone is to duel then it would be by mail and then ANet would have to deal with the harasser. No thank you to PvP in the PvE maps.

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

I don’t see the problem with duelling, as distinct from the already existing pvp, wvw, and GH offers already in the game.

> set option to auto-decline by default.
> any two people agreeing to duel are immediately ported to a small private arena instance.
> they duel.
> no one’s bothered.
> simples.

If you want to spectate, you have to be in a party/raid group, and only those members who have the duelling option enabled receive the option to visit/decline the instance.

Who needs ‘open-world’ pvp?
Unless you’re interested in the attention duellers sometimes crave.

~TG

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

Id also like to add to OP that there should be an icon with text next to player hp bar indicating if said player want to duel or not, lowering the chances for people even asking, and in the process respecting that.

oooor (known from several other MMORPGs with open-world-pvp):
a menu setting to toggle, which instantly declines duel-invites automatically.
so someone who doesn’t want to duel doesn’t even get bothered with an invite.

also i think that’s pretty much what the OP meant by:

For those scared of being spammed: By default everyone should have “Allow duel invites” on decline. Nothing will change for those that don’t want to duel. Everything will be the same for them.

Yes but with OPs method ppl still gonna get asked (which many seem to make a fuss about, adding a potential stressful atmosphere) regardless if they can duel or not, but with mine ppl can see an icon that the guy doesnt want to duel at allleast (in the wording when hoovering over the icon) as another layer of protection

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Wolfheart.7483

Wolfheart.7483

Add a new area to the PVP lobby where players can duel in their PVE setup rather than their PVP setup. It keeps PVP in a PVP area but still allows dueling.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

/no thank you

Lets keep PvP in the mists please. Thank you.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Gee, it’s been awhile.

No, to Open World PvP for all the reasons stated in the previous threads.

Yeah, it has. Most nations outlawed open dueling at the end of the 1800’s.

But more to the point of the game, I think I hear far more praise than complaints over the fact that people don’t get harassed for duels every few minutes in GW2. And honestly, I think the lack of easy offhand competition might help engender this game’s overall helpful community. Not everything is focused on “your gear looks trash, 1v1 me noob!” or whatever. Maybe. I could be way off base with that one, but still. I think getting bothered to duel at random or by some aggressive troll will just get on my nerves.

That could be easily avoided by a check the p-layers can have (togle duel invites on/off)

Posted by: Maethor.2810

Maethor.2810

Generally, I hate PvP so I don’t care that much for it and would decline any open world duel (I have auto-decline on for that in ESO, for example), but I do understand that other people want it. As well as the arguments against it. I, personally, wouldn’t want to see dueling enabled everywere in PvE

But – what about having it just enabled in cities? Rata Sum/Grove/Hoelbrak/Black Citadel/DR? It is an enclosed safe space that is away from the Us vs Them mindset that is present in non-city zones. You don’t have to worry if that player coming is going to help you out or is just running around looking for duels. It wouldn’t take away from the events on the other maps as everyone would still be playing cooperatively and keeping the competitive feeling out of PvE zones.

~Signe Grimsdottir | Wynne Everheart | Magiere Massing~
The Archivist’s Sanctum [Lore] – Just Us Grown-Ups [JUGS]

Posted by: sairing.5832

sairing.5832

i think many games have this system so this is popular to verymuch people ,so popular

sairing.5832

1v1 pvp like other games, left mouse button selected man ,and then will show pvp,mail,party and so on and then choose one

sairing.5832

u can not agree dule or at system seetings ,auto-disagree,many of us like pvp like in pve map or anywhere can 1v1

/no thank you

Lets keep PvP in the mists please. Thank you.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Bold part for emphasis. It doesn’t matter how many people want it or how many people would use it or like it. It would take too much work to make it work, so it’s not worth it.

Link:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP

sairing.5832

There are already 4 maps in WvW for dueling AND the PvP area AND the guild hall, no more are needed. I have played all types of MMOs since the old BBS days, I have seen the toxic community pop up with dueling, I don’t need to flex my whatever to prove to someone else I can kick their butt, I do that enough with all the enemies that are already in the game.
Even if there is an auto decline you will still get harassed, happens in every other game that has dueling and would happen here. Seen that in too many other games to think it won’t happen here. Even if it’s not texting about how “scared” someone is to duel then it would be by mail and then ANet would have to deal with the harasser. No thank you to PvP in the PvE maps.

this is your pve player thinkings,if u like pvp ,or battle mans u like pvp at openmap,like others games, ,like others more pvp server is more popular.

sairing.5832

“The overall design for Guild Wars 2 does not support fully open world PvP and it would take a prohibitive amount of work to even make it possible. World versus world is our version of open world PvP, and while it isn’t ‘true’ open world PvP for more PvP purists, it does contain many of the elements that make world PvP so exciting. Hopefully it will mostly satisfy people that want open world PvP.” — Mike Ferguson

Bold part for emphasis. It doesn’t matter how many people want it or how many people would use it or like it. It would take too much work to make it work, so it’s not worth it.

Link:
http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/TemperHoof/072012/23486_Guild-Wars-2-Redefines-Open-World-PVP

i think open pvp is better ,if can’t do this no matter ,but 1v1 pvp in everywhereis good method
1v1 pvp like other games, left mouse button selected man ,and then will show pvp,mail,party and so on and then choose one
and open pvp map is not always pvp ,u knows that,and u can make yourself can’t be attcked like gta5,

(edited by sairing.5832)

Posted by: Konig Des Todes.2086

Konig Des Todes.2086

The reason why charr were put into a situation of a cease fire with humans was because ArenaNet wanted above all to avoid open world pvp, they did not want to create another “alliance versus horde” game set up. Probably why they put in lore the Kurzicks and Luxons getting wholly assimilated by the Canthan Empire too.

Personally, I’d like to avoid such too. I’m no fan of it, not for any particular reason other than disliking it and finding it annoying when I am forced into a duel for xyz reasons. I feel it works for some games, but GW2 is not one of those games. And I’d say the same for mounts (even with all the praise mounts got from the bwe last week, I still feel they remain an unnecessary and forced upon addition).

It isn’t a “bad thing”, but for GW2, it isn’t the “right thing” either, IMO. Adding open world pvp would just be another way to bring GW2 one step closer to conforming to your average MMO or WoW clone. GW2 is already brought too close as it is, I’d argue.

Dear ANet writers,
Stop treating GW2 as a single story. Each Season and expansion should be their own story.

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

i think open pvp is better ,if can’t do this no matter ,but 1v1 pvp in everywhereis good

Did you read my post? It can’t happen for technical reasons not that they have it disabled or something. It would take an insane amount of work to even make it work, and that developer time will be better spent elsewhere.

Posted by: onevstheworld.2419

onevstheworld.2419

GW2’s open world was built to encourage players to cooperate:
No factions, no open world PvP, no kill stealing, no shared resource nodes and no dueling.

When I first started in GW2, it was so refreshing to not see other players as competitors. Personally, I feel this non-competitive open world is completely ingrained in GW2’s player culture, and represents much of it’s appeal as a game.

Posted by: Shirlias.8104

Shirlias.8104

Dueling should be made in a specific spvp area imho.

If the players really do want a 1v1 mode, then there should it be.

This, for many reasons:

-spvp skills are meant for pvp ( at least, more balanced than pve’s )
-no armor/offsets differences
-no infusions
-no food/oil/potions/buffs
-no rng sigils ( like air/fire/blood… etc… )
-balanced stats ( and somehow you have to trade for something in order to get something. no more celestial for an instance. On the other hand, pve will allows players to build "hybrid builds ).

Think i didn’t forget anything.

tldr: up for a 1v1 mod ( otherwise you can buy a private server and use it ), but not openworld/wvw. Would be a waste of time.

Posted by: Zefiris.8297

Zefiris.8297

adding it to current maps is an absolute no go, because it requires developer resources, which would be wasted on a feature nobody needs.

People that want duels already have multiple ways to do so. IF they cannot get duels these ways, they are obviously socially maladjusted, because any normal person can easily get a duel running if they aren’t stupid about it.

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

adding it to current maps is an absolute no go, because it requires developer resources, which would be wasted on a feature nobody needs.

People that want duels already have multiple ways to do so. IF they cannot get duels these ways, they are obviously socially maladjusted, because any normal person can easily get a duel running if they aren’t stupid about it.

Everything requires dev resources, but there has been events in the past showcasing that such a system is in place, the groundwork.
It’s just a nice QoL addition being able to duel a friend wherever you are, like when waiting for a boss or whatever. The more world interaction the better. People who scream no to duels scream yes to other stuff, in the end it all comes down to people wanting things from their narrative.

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Don’t really see why people would want to duel using PvE builds. Surely it makes more sense to go to WvW or PvP where you have builds that are actually designed for PvP.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Don’t really see why people would want to duel using PvE builds. Surely it makes more sense to go to WvW or PvP where you have builds that are actually designed for PvP.

Those who ask for this are the players who enjoy killing level 1 noobs with their fully ascended max level character, and then boast about it. Basically, bullies.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

Those who ask for this are the players who enjoy killing level 1 noobs with their fully ascended max level character, and then boast about it. Basically, bullies.

Dueling is not PKing.

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Dueling is not PKing.

Then do it in PvP.

The ones asking for this really do not want to understand that even spamming other players with your “let’s duel” mesages, is form of bullying. YOU are prepared, ready to fight, while other player is commonly NOT. So, you have the advantage, all the boosts, foods, specially crafted gear for duel and prepared skill rotation.

Even if you add auto-decline option, the bullies will get new reason to go around and harass other players – too scared to duel! Haha!

Again, for fair fight you got PvP. You only want to do it in PvE because you are not able to win fights with fair system, so you want unfair fights. Or to make it more clear, again, you want to fight WHEN and WHERE you are ready, not when and where both are ready.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Dueling in PvE.

It would be awesome if you could challenge a random person to a duel.

If you want to test yourself against a friend the ability is there, if you just want to attack people, that’s called PvP.. and there are maps just for that, be warned, people there are also looking to attack other people.

Gonna say. Nay to this. the last thing anyone needs on a PvE map is salty PvP spam.

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Berelious.3290

Berelious.3290

You want dueling? Here’s how I believe it should work.

1. No form of dueling requests should be announcable in map chat.

2. There should be an option to block dueling requests, set to “off” by default. If a dueling request is sent to a person who has it turned off, whispering and mail should be disabled between the two parties for ten minutes.

3. If a duel is sent and accepted, both participants should be immediately moved to a dueling instance where they can duke it out in private.

4. At the conclusion of said duel, both participants should be returned to the exact location they started from.

5. An option should be added where persons wishing to do so may observe but not participate in an active duel (similar to spectating in PvP matches.)

6. Dueling arenas should be set up in each city.

I’ve said it before. Dueling should not be taking place in an environment that is supposed to actively encourage cooperation.

Corwin Grimjaw: Guardian (80)
Yak’s Bend Server
Crimethink [ct]

(edited by Berelious.3290)

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

While I’m not in favor of dueling, I don’t think there are that many downsides to it either. If it were to be implemented, it shouldn’t be available in the major cities though because who wants to hear people dueling in front of the bank or trading post? Plus causing additional lag with the spells going off.

In games with dueling I always found it obnoxious how some people would chase after you spamming duel requests again and again. Sometimes when you have them disabled they even whisper asking to turn them on with nonsense like “are you scared?” and “just try” as if the declining had anything to do with them specifically. So, while I wouldn’t welcome that kind of annoyance I also wouldn’t expect the vast majority who use the feature to fall into that category.

I do think it’s nice (in games that have it) to wander by a group of people conducting friendly dueling in a semi-organized manner where people can watch or join in at their leisure, maybe get their feet wet and find themselves exporing more pvp in the future. Then again, that may be as uncommon as the trollish annoyances mentioned previously.

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

You want dueling? Here’s how I believe it should work.

1. No form of dueling requests should be announcable in map chat.

2. There should be an option to block dueling requests, set to “off” by default. If a dueling request is sent to a person who has it turned off, whispering and mail should be disabled between the two parties for ten minutes.

3. If a duel is sent and accepted, both participants should be immediately moved to a dueling instance where they can duke it out in private.

4. At the conclusion of said duel, both participants should be returned to the exact location they started from.

5. An option should be added where persons wishing to do so may observe but not participate in an active duel (similar to spectating in PvP matches.)

6. Dueling arenas should be set up in each city.

I’ve said it before. Dueling should not be taking place in an environment that is supposed to actively encourage cooperation.

1. I think it should be allowed.
2. duel should be opt in and not opt out. Default is off and everybody expect that majority of people have it off. Your ten minute thing could be a good idea but only if you’re not in friend list.
3. goes against the idea of “Duel in PvE”
4. same as above. It’s a MMO rpg. People need to stop it with instances for everything
5. yes
6. free for all, unbalanced open arena like in korean PvE games. But I think Anet cannot make pvp limited to a small area within a map because of the engine.

My idea wasn’t duel per definition but a gemstore toy like bobble head lab item that when clicked let you chose to participate or spectate. When participating you are marked to be able to fight other participant on the entire map for a set amount of time. The special skill slot key could be used to “resign” and changing map or login out would turn it off automatically. When participating you can play normally but you can also hurt other participants. If you die it works like real death. People can resurrect you or you can waypoint like normal.
To anyone who didn’t click the toy, participant are seen as ghost and no skill effect is shown or sound heard. This way if there’s a big fight in LA then people are not bothered by it. They just see ghost of people running and jumping around.
If you select spectate, then you see those participants normally where ever they are, without being a participant yourself.
Participant could see each other with a red border or special icon above their head or something. Maybe they could even see each other on the map.

This way there would be no spamming for duel demand since it cannot be done in that way. People can fight each other in pve with their pve build and gears without all the seriousness of PvP. People who do not wish to participate are not bothered by the sound and skills spam around them and anet makes money because it’s what they do.

It make it festive instead of competitive. And to have actual duel you could use the toy and go in a little more remote area and you’d be left alone. People usually don’t interfere in this game when you try to be alone.

I’m very tired so maybe tomorrow I wont like my idea anymore, but anyway. Now I think it’s good.