I find this game to be extremely boring...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: davidkevin.3820

davidkevin.3820

(This is not a departure thread)

Let me explain why:

1. Spells are horribly animated, on every single class… Extremly boring to look at.
2. Questing is great until you realize every single location has the same formula.
3. Fights are awkward and game mechanics are an annoyance. Conditioning damage? Hair shampoo?

I tried coming back, in the hour I played I just started running around lol. It’s that bad… People only play this because they invested real money. In other words they paid money to acquire the game and so have placed this delusion on themselves that the game is good.

In game Community:
I’ve met some great people, what I like about this game the most. You can stand their and strike up a conversation in pvp (mists)

So whats fun?

Exploring, I enjoy just running around looking to complete the vistas. The game is eye candy, and whoever is in charge of the environments deserves kudos.

Will I buy the expansion?

Not even if it was free…

So why should community care about my opinion?

Because like you I’m a consumer, Gw2 team least deserve to know what one of their customers feels when playing this game.

So what now?

Constructive Critique:

Change those horrible looking spells. Fix the awkward camera. The game feels extremely sluggish in combat. Eveything has a cooldown… Really?

Do I regret buying this game?

Yes, however I think I got my money worth by forcing myself to play. Well after a year or more I can honestly say nothing at all has changed just the menus. Big deal… You would think you guys would update the game mechanics. It just so freaking boring…

Best way I can describe it… Your first morning class at 7:00am with a teacher that speaks in a very very slow manor because their PH. D justfies their existence.

((((One of the community members great reply to this thread:))))

Exploring can indeed be fun, while it really depends on how you do it. Are you really exploring or running from vista, to vista, to PoI, to PoI, to hearth, to hearth, to Hero point ./ skill point, striping of the list on your map to complete it.
Imho, to get the best exploration experience PoI’s should completely be removed and those other things should be optional for map completion. Only seeing the full map (on your map) should count as map-completion (what should be fairly easy, simply keeping to the roads).
Why? Because then people explore to explore, creating a more fun experience, instead of pretty much blindly running from one point to the next simply striping of the to-do list. That is what might in fact make it boring. Is this ‘dumping’ it down.. Well depends on it.. It’s less work to get map-completion, but it’s not like it’s a hard task now, it just takes time.
There are two other main things I think can help prevent the boredom that some or many? people experience. Dynamic events are great but imho should not have been as full replacements for quest. Better mix in traditional quest with events. This gives people more of an adventure to go on, instead of wondering around and doing an event that happens to pop up.
Lastly reducing the grind. The game is very much currency based, want a nice item, buy it in the gem-store or grind some currency for it. The ability to direct be rewarded or else farm directly for items people might like results in people having more clear goals and doing many different types of content, keeping it fresh. The currency approach simply means people will do a lot of the same (because that gets them the currency the fastest) then buy the item they want, then grind again and buy it, then grind again.. and so on, and so on.
Getting rid of the boredom people clearly do experience (seeing as many did leave) is imho one of the main things Anet needs to get right with HoT as imho it’s the main reason for people to leave, and people that left before, come back with HoT but will leave again soon because of boredom are likely never coming back again.

(edited by davidkevin.3820)

Posted by: Blade.8497

Blade.8497

I dont think ur playing same game as me. If you dont like cool downs try thief.

Posted by: GragorR.9768

GragorR.9768

Sounds to me like mmo’s in general might not be the ’’formula’’ you’re looking for.

- BG -

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

I think the statistics of how many copies of GW2 have been sold and how many people playing prove that your not completely right OP.

I guess it’s not for everybody, and something will (Maybe) come along one day and better it.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well almost mandatory:

Can I have your stuff? Plz?

Suggestion:

But if you do not like it find another game. with nice trinities and quests… or if you need to live in the fast game try some FPS or RTS….
I play it to spend some time, not to harcore grind and only to be on edge…

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

(edited by PaxTheGreatOne.9472)

davidkevin.3820

I think the statistics of how many copies of GW2 have been sold and how many people playing prove that your not completely right OP.

I guess it’s not for everybody, and something will (Maybe) come along one day and better it.

You have to buy the game in order to play? LOL

Anyways I didn’t quit… I just run around these days. Boring game, but extremely eye candy.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

So you did find somthing to do in this environment , see it has something for you as well

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: YOUNGaz.5690

YOUNGaz.5690

Cheers mate! Some games just aren’t for some people. There’s plenty of games I don’t like. I usually just stop playing though, never really felt the need to advertise my departure but to each their own. GL on your next endeavors!

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Anyways I didn’t quit… I just run around these days. Boring game, but extremely eye candy.

Yes I know you have to buy the game to play, but I don’t suppose everybody who bought the game is still actively playing.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

davidkevin.3820

Yes I know you have to buy the game to play, but I don’t suppose everybody who bought the game is still actively playing.

I’m not trying to be a negative nancy, it’s obviously my opinion. But I can’t stand there hitting a skill bar with mediocre animation/mechanics while I am surrounded by beautiful environments.

davidkevin.3820

Cheers mate! Some games just aren’t for some people. There’s plenty of games I don’t like. I usually just stop playing though, never really felt the need to advertise my departure but to each their own. GL on your next endeavors!

I never said I was leaving, I hate departure threads. I just wanted to let developers know that I rather explore than engage.

-Cheers ^.^

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Exploring can indeed be fun, while it really depends on how you do it. Are you really exploring or running from vista, to vista, to PoI, to PoI, to hearth, to hearth, to Hero point ./ skill point, striping of the list on your map to complete it.

Imho, to get the best exploration experience PoI’s should completely be removed and those other things should be optional for map completion. Only seeing the full map (on your map) should count as map-completion (what should be fairly easy, simply keeping to the roads).

Why? Because then people explore to explore, creating a more fun experience, instead of pretty much blindly running from one point to the next simply striping of the to-do list. That is what might in fact make it boring. Is this ‘dumping’ it down.. Well depends on it.. It’s less work to get map-completion, but it’s not like it’s a hard task now, it just takes time.

There are two other main things I think can help prevent the boredom that some or many? people experience. Dynamic events are great but imho should not have been as full replacements for quest. Better mix in traditional quest with events. This gives people more of an adventure to go on, instead of wondering around and doing an event that happens to pop up.

Lastly reducing the grind. The game is very much currency based, want a nice item, buy it in the gem-store or grind some currency for it. The ability to direct be rewarded or else farm directly for items people might like results in people having more clear goals and doing many different types of content, keeping it fresh. The currency approach simply means people will do a lot of the same (because that gets them the currency the fastest) then buy the item they want, then grind again and buy it, then grind again.. and so on, and so on.

Getting rid of the boredom people clearly do experience (seeing as many did leave) is imho one of the main things Anet needs to get right with HoT as imho it’s the main reason for people to leave, and people that left before, come back with HoT but will leave again soon because of boredom are likely never coming back again.

Posted by: Mordoc.5264

Mordoc.5264

Change those horrible looking spells. Fix the awkward camera. The game feels extremely sluggish in combat. Eveything has a cooldown… Really?

could you be more specific about “horrible looking spells”? what classes or skills are you referring to?
i’m aware that there’s different tastes, but personally i find almost every single spell in this game well done and very detailled, the combat style isn’t sluggish but actually rather active.
some more insightful feedback would be nice.

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

I do agree on your point whereby you state that you are a consumer and thus, you also have a right to discuss your feelings on the game, but the main issue I find with your post is that while you state what problems you have with the game, you don’t make any reasonable suggestions on how you think those issues can be improved. You say spells are boring, but you don’t suggest how you think they could be made better. You complain about cooldowns in combat or mention how the combat is sluggish, but you don’t suggest an alternative mechanic that will still retain balance. Etc.

Typically speaking, when people do want to make suggestions for this game or offer constructive criticism, they give more details and ideas that can be built upon or discussed properly. Then people can either add to that idea, or argue against it if they feel it won’t work for whatever reason. Your post, however, might just come across as a rant and nothing more, and so people will respond accordingly (hence why some people may have gotten the impression that this is a departure thread).

(edited by Tenrai Senshi.2017)

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

It takes a special kind of stupid for someone to spend their leisure time doing something they consider boring.

Posted by: Famine.3164

Famine.3164

Disagree with every complaint. This game is not bad it just do not fit you.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m not trying to be a negative nancy, it’s obviously my opinion. But I can’t stand there hitting a skill bar with mediocre animation/mechanics while I am surrounded by beautiful environments.

Of course, mediocre animations is just your opinion. Some people like the animations. And in many MMOs, if not most, you can’t even most while casting your spells or shooting your bow. Talk about boring.

You are being a negative nancy and there’s not really any reason why anyone should care about your opinion. It serves no real purpose. The game isn’t going to change because of it. It’s not really constructive. It’s just, in my opinion, a way to garner attention. In that, at least, it seems like you’ve succeeded.

davidkevin.3820

Great post ^.^

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

Your only other thread is from a year ago with the same complaints. Why are you even here?

I don’t mean that as a “STFUGTFO”, I’m honestly just wondering why you would torture yourself if you don’t like the game that much? There are other MMOs in the market that have flashier animations and simpler mechanics (you’re never going to find an MMO with non-formulaic/repetitive quests though, I’m afraid), go give them a spin. Playing games should be about having fun, so go have fun.

Props on your dedication to get your money’s worth though.

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

(This is not a departure thread)

Let me explain why:

1. Spells are horribly animated, on every single class… Extremly boring to look at.
2. Questing is great until you realize every single location has the same formula.
3. Fights are awkward and game mechanics are an annoyance. Conditioning damage? Hair shampoo?

How are spells horribly animated exactly? Are you running on low settings with animations set to the lowest quality? The animations are quite fluid and smooth if you ask me. As for your number two reason, you pretty much described every single MMORPG out there. That isn’t a GW2 exclusive, all MMORPGs do that.

And how are fights “awkward”? They are much smoother than games like WoW or other F2P MMOs. What exactly is “annoying” about them? And it’s condition damage. You know, like conditions being applied (Damage over Time: DoTs). Bleed, Poison, Confusion, Agony, Burning, etc etc.

I tried coming back, in the hour I played I just started running around lol. It’s that bad… People only play this because they invested real money. In other words they paid money to acquire the game and so have placed this delusion on themselves that the game is good.

Sorry but after you said this, you lost all credibility in your post. People only like this game because they bought it? Seriously? That’s the excuse to why people play it?

Look at all the other P2P games out there like WoW, Rift, SW:TOR, Tera, Archeage, etc etc etc the list goes on. People paid for those games too, and pay subscriptions for some of them, and they have quit those games. I paid for all those games myself, and I don’t play any of them anymore. I’ve put thousands of dollars into WoW, and I no longer play it because I just wasn’t having fun anymore.

Just cause someone paid money for a game, doesn’t mean they have to like it. I’m guessing you’ve only played F2P games given that statement.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Loxias.2375

Loxias.2375

Title says it all. Entitled gamer wants game company to remake a 3 year old game for their personal enjoyment, makes thread insulting game, claims it’s feedback.

If you are bored, buy another game. It’s a game, not a debt that someone owes you.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

But I can’t stand there hitting a skill bar

I don’t think you understand GW2’s combat mechanics if you are simply standing there hitting your skill bar.

Unless you are speedrunning dungeons, I guess.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Cant say i agree. I find the combat exceptionally fluid, well animated and extremely fun to use. It is one of the big reasons i play. Having played clunkier systems in lotro, tsw, Anarchy, Conan and to some extent Ff14 (altho that works for diff reasons), gw2 is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

The dynamic events are an important infrastructure in countering traditional quests and a big reason ppl choose this game over others. Replacing or reducing them isn’t the answer. The game needs more of them, with more chains (like the excellent fireheart ones) and more variety. HoT may bring that, altho beta suggested repeating events on short timers. That i don’t think is good enough for the standard this game is capable of.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

(…)

The dynamic events are an important infrastructure in countering traditional quests and a big reason ppl choose this game over others. Replacing or reducing them isn’t the answer. The game needs more of them, with more chains (like the excellent fireheart ones) and more variety. HoT may bring that, altho beta suggested repeating events on short timers. That i don’t think is good enough for the standard this game is capable of.

If i recall some evenst got disabled, instad of creating chains or turn them to something better or bigger…They never did much to improve this sytem.

About pve i play since beta, i stil dont have map completion nor ever wil lhave it, i gainned horror to pve (this game turned out to be a brain dead spam 1 key, i dont like easy games…), and some clunkier mmo’s they still have better stuff than gw2, gw2 besides character control and graphics/artwork doesnt offer much.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

So much troll over this… What a stupid post.

Please lock this thread ASAP please.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Cant say i agree. I find the combat exceptionally fluid, well animated and extremely fun to use. It is one of the big reasons i play. Having played clunkier systems in lotro, tsw, Anarchy, Conan and to some extent Ff14 (altho that works for diff reasons), gw2 is a breath of fresh air in comparison.

Well, they noticed it did not work like this, they have added more events in the beginning, but seeing as how they added little value to the game, they stopped doing that.

Also events simply can’t replace all elements traditional quest have. They are great to get some movement in the world (less static) and also a good replacement for the “kill 5 pigs” quests.

But they can’t offer what good quest chains can offer, and once you have done it a few times and see them repeating all the time they feel to be useless, like it does not matter, while with a quest it gives more the feeling you made a change to the world.. You helped that NPC, you did find his mini back (as an example) and that will stay that way. It’s not like 10 minutes later the mini is gone again and you can looking for it again.

So events are great for some things, but so are quest. They both have pro’s and cons. a problem is that at some point they did think events where able to completely take the place of quests while they weren’t able to. There is also no need to counter traditional quest, as there is no problem with them.

We have also see some quest being implemented, mainly in the LS, but also things like the karka invasion quest in LA.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

Useless tread is useless.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

OP, I think everyone would take your complaints seriously if you weren’t so busy trying to defend those complaints and why we should listen to you.

So you find it boring. Fine. Your reasons, while simply opinion, are yours and therefore valid.

Having said that, spouting things like, “I regret buying this game” and “I wouldn’t by the expansion if it were free” takes credible opinion into the entitled and tantrum arenas.

davidkevin.3820

(…)

If i recall some evenst got disabled, instad of creating chains or turn them to something better or bigger…They never did much to improve this sytem.

About pve i play since beta, i stil dont have map completion nor ever wil lhave it, i gainned horror to pve (this game turned out to be a brain dead spam 1 key, i dont like easy games…), and some clunkier mmo’s they still have better stuff than gw2, gw2 besides character control and graphics/artwork doesnt offer much.

Actually these events destroy any immersion just for the specific reason the events repeat over and over. Events should have been randomized or only appear to you once.

Posted by: kratan.4619

kratan.4619

It’s a game, not a debt that someone owes you.

^^
This is awesome.