I have 500 skills points - What to do?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.

So yea, what should I do? Very limited information we have gotten, should I spend them asap? Or wait? Crafting materials can be so much… I have enough of the kittenty ascended materials they throw around everywhere.. Turn them into 500 T6 mats, sure I would love that. But I dont see that happening.

So what to do?

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I am going to watch the stream tomorrow first. Then decide what makes most sense.

Posted by: Belenwyn.8674

Belenwyn.8674

They will give us more informations about the new crafting materials later. Look here.

http://massivelyop.net/2015/04/23/exclusive-guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-interview-unwraps-specializations-and-traits/
“If you already have Scrolls of Knowledge and a bunch of existing skill points, you will end up with a lot of crafting material that converts into a new currency that will be used in the Mystic Forge. We will be talking more about how that works and how you acquire that currency in the future.”

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Personally I’m more interested in knowing what will happen to my current mystic forge materials in my bank… well hopefully that will remain the same.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

My hope is that each skill point will be converted into a bag that will randomly drop a forge specific mat. So the more skill points you have, the more chances you’ll have to get something good, like clovers. It’s probably just wishful thinking though.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: MashMash.1645

MashMash.1645

Old skill points in excess of those earned by leveling and skill challenges will be converted into crafting materials for the Mystic Forge. Items and activities that were previously repeatable sources of skill points will now also provide that same crafting material.

So yea, what should I do? Very limited information we have gotten, should I spend them asap? Or wait? Crafting materials can be so much… I have enough of the kittenty ascended materials they throw around everywhere.. Turn them into 500 T6 mats, sure I would love that. But I dont see that happening.

So what to do?

I’m wondering about this too. I have about 3000 skill point scrolls, and just over 300 excess skill points on my main. She’ll be OK because 100% map completion I guess.

My alts though? I gave them skills mainly through the scrolls – I couldn’t be bothered doing much map completion or skill points. I guess they’ll be stripped of every ability now, and I’ll be forced to complete the map to get them all back?

From what I read, I don’t think it matters if you spend them now or not – at least on abilities. Either way our characters will be stripped of spent skill points and skill scrolls, and the amount of these new points will be determined on how many skill points on the map you have done.

And in exchange you’ll be given forge materials – but how will these be determined? RNG? That would be a disaster. I’d rather just buy the items I want, not get given a random pile of junk. But, as noted, their is too little info to base spending up on these right now.

Pre-Ordered HoT | Recently started to get what I paid for – may spend $$$

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I have over 1000 skill point scrolls, some of which I was planning to use on my Revenant.

I guess that plan is gone now.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

MashMash.1645

My hope is that each skill point will be converted into a bag that will randomly drop a forge specific mat. So the more skill points you have, the more chances you’ll have to get something good, like clovers. It’s probably just wishful thinking though.

RNG? no!

MashMash.1645

I have over 1000 skill point scrolls, some of which I was planning to use on my Revenant.

No insta 80 Revenats either – they’ll have no abilities. Unless just getting to 80 gives you a bunch? I am very confused by these changes.

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

So ANET, should I buy 2x Bloodstone Shards? Or should I save my skillpoints? You really need to give us more info on this. Wiping hundreds of hours of saving up skill points? And all you give is this vague info? REALLY? H O K A Y.

MashMash.1645

So ANET, should I buy 2x Bloodstone Shards? Or should I save my skillpoints? You really need to give us more info on this. Wiping hundreds of hours of saving up skill points? And all you give is this vague info? REALLY? H O K A Y.

If the Legendary crafting recipes stay the same (i.e. you need the various gifts and the components to make them), then it “may” be better to buy the skill point crafting items before this comes in. At least that way you can pick exactly which crating components you want / need now or for future use. Otherwise, all those skill points will end up being taken and you’ll get…. well, we don’t know. And RNG bag? I’d rather be able to choose what I want, not leave it up to chance.

If the Legendary’s recipes were to change though, then it gets even more confusing.

I’m not going to spend any more skill points on characters now – it’s a waste. They’ll lose them all after the patch anyway. Only the map ones will stick. I’m going to hoard them and calculate the best spread of Mystic crafting items to buy for future use. But I’ll also wait to see what they announce in the meantime – won’t spend them all now.

Posted by: Anyandrell.6238

Anyandrell.6238

Sorry for being a party pooper – I do anxiously look forward to the release date of HoT.
Just that right now I got some bitter thoughts. As previous posters said, those were hours and hours and hours spent to acquire those skills. Hours and hours and hours of my life that I spent because there was a clear, defined reward. Now there isn’t. Nobody knows what will happen to what was acquired through all that time spent.
And of course we’ll have to re-learn a whole mechanic and such. Which, don’t get me wrong, I don’t complain about, it will be fun. But then again, I could do that with a whole new game. As in another game than GW2. One for which I don’t have a resentment somewhere in the back of my mind for Anet not giving a rat’s dry kitten about my time. As they don’t give about a whole array of things and treat their players like a mass of kittens who are supposed to swallow whatever table scraps are thrown at them.
Ah, and yes, Moderator, don’t forget to suspend me. That will definitely help tremendously and will make this 40+ y.o. woman all of a sudden gain a lot of respect for you and Anet.

Posted by: MachineManXX.9746

MachineManXX.9746

Nothing is really changing with existing skill points other than the name. As it is now, you can spend skill points on skills (duh) or use them in the MF.

They are just separating the two now. You will gain new skill points used specifically for skills. That’s all they can purchase.

The hundreds or even thousands of skill points we all have hoarded will get a new name but will have the same use. That use is, to spend on MF recipes just as they are currently used.

Basically, just separating the current, two use skill points into two, specific use points with different names.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

No insta 80 Revenats either – they’ll have no abilities. Unless just getting to 80 gives you a bunch? I am very confused by these changes.

A level 80 character that’s done none of the hero challenges should be able to unlock more than enough skills, specializations, and traits to make several unique full builds.

Even if your idea of a “full build” is not the same as ANet your lv80 Revenant will still have an advantage over a lower level one if you go that route.

Actually that sounds like it will be an improvement over toming or crafting a character to lv80 right now.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

buy 500 crystals and start making mystic clovers. the alternate stuff you can pull out of the forge from the 10 clover recipe can be pretty awesome

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

buy 500 crystals and start making mystic clovers. the alternate stuff you can pull out of the forge from the 10 clover recipe can be pretty awesome

but then what do you do with all the clovers? :p

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Ah, and yes, Moderator, don’t forget to suspend me. That will definitely help tremendously and will make this 40+ y.o. woman all of a sudden gain a lot of respect for you and Anet.

No need to worry about that or challenge the mods. They are commendably tolerant of extremely harsh criticism of the game, as my continued ability to post testifies.

As long as your feedback is focused on the game itself, they can handle it, and sincerely seem to appreciate honesty — even if the news isn’t good.

Just sayin’

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: ardasica.4531

ardasica.4531

If the Legendary crafting recipes stay the same (i.e. you need the various gifts and the components to make them), then it “may” be better to buy the skill point crafting items before this comes in. At least that way you can pick exactly which crating components you want / need now or for future use. Otherwise, all those skill points will end up being taken and you’ll get…. well, we don’t know. And RNG bag? I’d rather be able to choose what I want, not leave it up to chance.

If the Legendary’s recipes were to change though, then it gets even more confusing.

I’m not going to spend any more skill points on characters now – it’s a waste. They’ll lose them all after the patch anyway. Only the map ones will stick. I’m going to hoard them and calculate the best spread of Mystic crafting items to buy for future use. But I’ll also wait to see what they announce in the meantime – won’t spend them all now.

I think it is something they really need to address for those of us working on our legendaries. I have some of the materials already stored up. I will be more than a little irate if the recipe suddenly changes and those materials become useless. I know I won’t be the only one.

SF
OTR

Posted by: Saint.5647

Saint.5647

I think it is something they really need to address for those of us working on our legendaries. I have some of the materials already stored up. I will be more than a little irate if the recipe suddenly changes and those materials become useless. I know I won’t be the only one.

This is my concern as well. I have materials saved up for the next 4 Legendaries I plan to make. I have just been waiting on the new precursor hunts and new Legendary skins.

I will be extremely disappointed if they shaft me and make this all worthless just to appease ….. well, I don’t know who this will appease.

One True God
Fashion Forward!
Guild Wars Dinosaur

MashMash.1645

This is my concern as well. I have materials saved up for the next 4 Legendaries I plan to make. I have just been waiting on the new precursor hunts and new Legendary skins.

I will be extremely disappointed if they shaft me and make this all worthless just to appease ….. well, I don’t know who this will appease.

If the recipe components for Legendarys stay as they are now, you’ll be OK. But it all depends how they handle the Skill Points / Skill scrolls into Mystic Forge materials conversion. If it’s RNG, that’s too risky – it would be much better to liquidate the skill points / skills scrolls and buy up Bloodstone Shards, Crystals for the Clovers, etc. at least that’s a guaranteed purchase and not a random chance.

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I really really really not want this to happen, we already have enough RNG in this game. Just give us selectable mats for them or, even better, a choice between regular MF mats that are available now at the trader and a special container with a chance at rarer stuff, like spend 20 SP with a chance to get a MF mat worth more SP (like orrian jewelry boxes).

Posted by: Galowin.6089

Galowin.6089

I assume the crafting mats they talk about will be the ones we now buy with our skill points, with some way to upgrade them by combining to a higher tier, like, philosopher stones to crystals to eldritch scroll, to bloodstone shards. seems like the most logical way to do it, and then make those items gold bought from then on…

For Glade and Glory

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

I play wvw. I dont want to do pve for traits

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

What if they somehow became T6 mats. That would be amazing.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I’m going to guess they become Mystic Forge scrolls. They will no longer be skill points and Mystic Forge currency together, but a new type of currency that will be used to buy the items that skill point scrolls used to buy.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Put on a giant chicken suit and run around your basement squawking about the sky falling?

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

This prompted me to check my main account……4,892 skill points fml.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Zepher.7803

Zepher.7803

yea…..i’ve never had that many skill points stocked up…once i hit WvW heh. or ever but anyways, I think if you have that many points saved you must be rich already because material promotion is still a money maker, and with that many…..wow

or you could do me a favor and make a buncha superior siege and flood the market

Sincerly, Me.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I’m going to guess they become Mystic Forge scrolls. They will no longer be skill points and Mystic Forge currency together, but a new type of currency that will be used to buy the items that skill point scrolls used to buy.

Hopefully it’s just as simple as that, and if anyone isn’t doing homework and required reading outside of work to keep up with the game short of, oh, playing the game and logs in months after this goes live and has all these old scrolls, they can click on them to obtain the currency.

Short of that, they really need to consider gathering up all the “here’s all the crazy stuff we’re changing, and things you need to do before [date], so you better login and do it, even if you haven’t been playing much, because if you come back, you’ll be meow-mixed” information and just send out an email.