please delete

please delete

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Torsailr.8456

Torsailr.8456

Light: 368 gold
Medium: 283 gold
Heavy: 280 gold

1. Was it deliberate to have such a large disparity in crafting costs for Light armor compared to the other weights?

Would love to see this answered.

I guess they are slowly working on balancing the material market to match the original idea of the material requirements for ascended armor, instead of having to constantly rework crafting recipes to balance them cost wise.
Though this doesn’t seem to be working out so far

That’s easy, light armor needs the same base material for it’s class as oppose to leather or metal and follows the same stock formula as other armors. It’s just that Damask is so, so much more expensive than Elonian Leather or Deldrimor Steel. And that’s likely due to the difficulty in obtaining cloth mats Vs leather or metal mats.

It was probably at the time the recipes were created, those cost on paper was similar for those crafted mats and the market just took over. Damask is used in every armor weight and piece thus huge demand which drove up the price. That in itself isn’t the problem but the fact light requires 50% more because it’s the armor’s base material that is the problem.

But there’s at least symmetry (in the recipes). – Zathros

If I remember correctly a large part of the cost was from silk availability. Because of the huge glut of silk on the TP, they wanted to get some of it used and changed bolts of silk from 2 pieces to 3. That in turn made damask more expensive than the other mats.

Maybe they’ll change silk back to 2 pieces and even out the price sometime.

please delete

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

silk lost more than 40% value in the last 2 months, so obviously its getting balanced.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

please delete

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

silk lost more than 40% value in the last 2 months, so obviously its getting balanced.

But the problem is needing 300 silk scraps needed where the other two ascended mats need only 150 hard leather sections or 100 mithril ore. Mithril you can mine or find along with silk and hard leather by salvaging level 80 blues and greens armor drops.

And since all ascended armor regardless of weight need Damask the shear amount of silk required by all ascended crafters is astronomical relative to hard leather or mithril.

A full set of each weight needs 25,500 silk scraps compared to 3,600 hard leather sections or 1,600 mithril. It’s no wonder.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

please delete

Wanze.8410

But the problem is needing 300 silk scraps needed where the other too ascended mats need only 150 hard leather sections or 100 mithril ore. Mithril you can mine or find along with silk and hard leather by salvaging level 80 blues and greens armor drops.

And since all ascended armor regardless of weight need Damask the shear amount of silk required by all ascended crafters is astronomical relative to hard leather or mithril.

That never crossed my mind, thanks for clearing that up.

please delete

Posted by: Echo.3741

Echo.3741

Light: ~320g, 36 days of crafting (Bolt of Damask)
Heavy: ~256g, 25 days of crafting (Bolt of Damask + Deldrimor Steel Ingot)
Medium: ~230g, 23 days of crafting (Bolt of Damask + Elonian Leather Square)

To me, the whole thing just looks off :P

Echo Mir // Echo.3741 [Echo] Echo Echo Echo Echo

(edited by Echo.3741)

please delete

Wanze.8410

Exotic Heavy armor is 20% more expensive than light or medium exotic armor because t6 cloth and leather is cheaper than ori.

please delete

Echo.3741

Exotic Heavy armor is 20% more expensive than light or medium exotic armor because t6 cloth and leather is cheaper than ori.

Not just the price though, the whole timegate thing and materials. Maybe they should have created another item for the light recipe instead of stacking Bolt of Damask on top of Bolt of Damask

please delete

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Here’s what the total cost is for ascended armor as of this post. This is based off the materials at their most basic level and crafting everything yourself. Light armor is about 70 gold cheaper now than it was right before Wintersday and the cost continues to fall.

Attachments:

please delete

Echo.3741

How far does Damask have to drop to get the armorcrafts equal?

please delete

Ayrilana.1396

To practically zero.

please delete

Behellagh.1468

Ignoring shared mats. Using crafting cost.

Light needs 12 extra Damask and 6 Elonian for roughly 138.8g
Medium needs 18 Elonian for roughly 35.8g
Heavy needs 1 Damask and 16 Deldrimor Steel for roughly 59.8g

So Damask needs to drop to around 3 gold be in the ballpark of the other two, that’s nearly 8g less and that’s crafting price. Of course at 3g ascended armor would be quite cheap as Damask is the costliest mat for a set.

RIP City of Heroes

please delete

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

Seeing that the RNG thread is one of the forum’s longest active threads, has consideration been given on said feedback for the expansion reward structure. [less rng focus (ex. mordrem parts) yet less overwhelming low end drops (sea of blues and greens)]?

Serenity now~Insanity later

please delete

Wanze.8410

John, did it ever happen that a new feature or game mechanic that was proposed internally by the dev team was vetoed by you because it would have too big of an impact on the economy?

please delete

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

John, did it ever happen that a new feature or game mechanic that was proposed internally by the dev team was vetoed by you because it would have too big of an impact on the economy?

Does “precursor crafting” ring a bell?

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

please delete

Posted by: John Smith.4610

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

50 Times a week, I am the destroyer of the designers intention to make people happy.

please delete

Posted by: wwwes.1398

wwwes.1398

50 Times a week, I am the destroyer of the designers intention to make people happy.

:-O more evil than mordremoth

please delete

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

:-O more evil than mordremoth

Little known fact. Mordremoth was based on the persona of John Smith (not the person but the collective John Smith).

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

please delete

Wanze.8410

If only you could tax happiness.

please delete

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

But.. he derives happiness from taxes. He’d have to tax himself, which would make him more happy and… the universe would implode from the recursion.

Ahem, kidding aside.

(In case no one’s actually asked:) In looking back on the silk market and Ascended crafting, do you feel that the right course was taken in the non-parallel requirements?
With metal and wood, both easily farmable and requiring less per equivalent ingolt/plant/bolt to silk’s 3:1 to make, and Damask requires double the equivalent product to craft. Do you feel it was an overcorrection of the market, or has the dramatic price spike been a good thing for the economy?

And I suppose the same could be asked, with less complaint, about the similar non-parallel for soft wood compared to other wood tiers.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

please delete

Wanze.8410

But.. he derives happiness from taxes. He’d have to tax himself, which would make him more happy and… the universe would implode from the recursion.

Ahem, kidding aside.

(In case no one’s actually asked:) In looking back on the silk market and Ascended crafting, do you feel that the right course was taken in the non-parallel requirements?
With metal and wood, both easily farmable and requiring less per equivalent ingolt/plant/bolt to silk’s 3:1 to make, and Damask requires double the equivalent product to craft. Do you feel it was an overcorrection of the market, or has the dramatic price spike been a good thing for the economy?

And I suppose the same could be asked, with less complaint, about the similar non-parallel for soft wood compared to other wood tiers.

John previously stated that the silk requirement is working as intended.

please delete

pdavis.8031

Ahem, kidding aside.

To add to that. People forget that silk was/is VERY easy to come by. It’s not at all difficult to get silk, but the major complaint is that it takes so much for Ascended. So increasing the amount needed removes a lot of silk from the game, instead of having an enormous surplus, that didn’t have much use beyond level 300 crafting (i.e. rare armor)

recognize my command!”

please delete

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Kinda did-ish, pages ago. Though, yes, between the adjustment of player behavior and other content sneaking a bit more silk into the market, it’s looking rather stable.
I continue to applaud how well balanced GW2’s economy is. It’s handled bumps like silk/Ascended and elder wood/foxfire pretty well.

Though, tangent to my question above, since the silk market isn’t that bad (not gonna kew and cry about a few silver :P):
Have you had any moments where you look at the market reaction to something you consulted with and said to yourself “I done kittened up”?

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

please delete

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Have you had any moments where you look at the market reaction to something you consulted with and said to yourself “I done kittened up”?

LOL. Ok, maybe not a “market reaction” but how about the player reaction to the lack of “precursor crafting”. Even the fan blogs have made it clear that a lot of people have quit over that lack of progress.

Anet told us clearly that there will be new processes to acquire precursors with the expansion. Obviously they are trying to attract those players back to the game.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

please delete

Essence Snow.3194

I’d say quite a few fesitval items fall into that catagory. Look at tiny snowflakes, superior rune of snowfall, and superior sigil of mischief as recent examples. They fall into the same shortcoming that butter did prior to the mytic forge conduit fix, or some other mats prior to zephyrite boxes. Even ascended mats gated by t6 fell into this prior to mawdrey and the star. Dragonite will most likely follow suit with a correction.

please delete

Posted by: Cormac.3871

Cormac.3871

Fun fact, the 20 maps that were completed for a Cantha expansion were knocked back because John Smith was worried about the iron ore market.

please delete

Posted by: Merus.9475

Merus.9475

So that’s why precursor crafting’s been delayed so long

please delete

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Long suspected that the emphasis on economics (or perhaps economic stability over simple game play) has been at the heart of making this game less fun than it could be. Good to see it confirmed.

I suppose, apart from an editorial, I should also pose a question: Would/not the economy survive/stabilize anyway if every single account/soul bound item was made unbound?

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

please delete

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Long suspected that the emphasis on economics (or perhaps economic stability over simple game play) has been at the heart of making this game less fun than it could be. Good to see it confirmed.

I suppose, apart from an editorial, I should also pose a question: Would/not the economy survive/stabilize anyway if every single account/soul bound item was made unbound?

the economy would always adapt and find a new equilibrium, however game design? , and would you be satisified with the new economic equilibrium? those are the questions

please delete

Essence Snow.3194

There have been several games as of late that have made the change from economic focus to reward focus and they have benefited greatly from it. I hear there is a mmo coming out that mainly focuses on market economics so it’ll be interesting to see how it fares when there is much more competition for a certain type of player.

please delete

pdavis.8031

So the conversation about silk and TP prices and amount needed for Damask has cropped up again. Although it is understood the why, and that it is working as intended, the question still comes up from time to time.

So currently, according to GW2 Spidy, there is a “surplus” of about 138,881 silk scraps in the TP alone. During the research phase when making the decision to increase the amount of silk needed for bolts of silk, was such a surplus planned and accounted for? Is this a good amount of surplus to have on hand, based on the demand of silk in general? And does such a surplus reflect the current prices on the TP and what people are willing to buy and sell for?

recognize my command!”

please delete

Wanze.8410

So the conversation about silk and TP prices and amount needed for Damask has cropped up again. Although it is understood the why, and that it is working as intended, the question still comes up from time to time.

So currently, according to GW2 Spidy, there is a “surplus” of about 138,881 silk scraps in the TP alone. During the research phase when making the decision to increase the amount of silk needed for bolts of silk, was such a surplus planned and accounted for? Is this a good amount of surplus to have on hand, based on the demand of silk in general? And does such a surplus reflect the current prices on the TP and what people are willing to buy and sell for?

I think the surplus you are seeing (Supply minus Demand) on the tp has very little value in terms of defining a proper balance of supply and demand. Alot of buy orders and listings are from inactive or banned accounts and the demand side can be rigged by putting in vendor value buy orders.

John probably looks at daily silk generated, daily silk destroyed and overall silk supply within the economy. And to determine overall silk supply will be a hard task anyways, i guess, even with his tools. It might be easy to get a report on how much silk scraps and bolts are stashed away in players, bags, banks and collection tabs but what about secondary sources?

How about all that silk stored in light armor pieces, salvage items and containers?

please delete

pdavis.8031

I think the surplus you are seeing (Supply minus Demand) on the tp has very little value in terms of defining a proper balance of supply and demand. Alot of buy orders and listings are from inactive or banned accounts and the demand side can be rigged by putting in vendor value buy orders.

John probably looks at daily silk generated, daily silk destroyed and overall silk supply within the economy. And to determine overall silk supply will be a hard task anyways, i guess, even with his tools. It might be easy to get a report on how much silk scraps and bolts are stashed away in players, bags, banks and collection tabs but what about secondary sources?

How about all that silk stored in light armor pieces, salvage items and containers?

Yeah I figured the Tp wouldn’t be an accurate representation of a surplus, but it is A starting point.

Also I don’t think you can count silk in light armor, salvage items and containers. It’s an unknown number that cannot be calculated until the item is salvaged or opened. Containers generally give 0-3 scraps, light armor is the same, and salvage items, also has a chance to drop gossamer instead of silk. And that number changes with each salvage, which kit is used, and the openers MF.

recognize my command!”

please delete

Wanze.8410

My last post made me wonder about this:

How many different loot tables include silk scraps?

With all the different kinds of armor, containers etc around, it should be over 1000 different sources easily.

please delete

pdavis.8031

With all the different kinds of armor, containers etc around, it should be over 1000 different sources easily.

Well for starters according to the wiki. Silk scraps come from:
Bag of Alchemical Materials
Bag of Theoretical Materials
Bag of Alliance Supplies
Large Bags
Heavy Bags
Level 58-80 light armor
Discarded Garment
Rag
Torn Rag
Torn Garment
Beautiful Knit Hat
Beautiful Knit Sock
Beautiful Knit Sweater

Thats 12 sources not including armor.

Armor:
Feathered and Masqurade armor. (crafted): 2 sets: 12 pieces
Dungeon Armor: 8 sets, at 6 per set: 48 pieces
Dropped armor: 6 sets: 36 pieces.
Order Armor: 1 set: 6 pieces (per character).
(I left out karma and WvW armor as you can’t salvage those.)

So we are looking at a total of at least 114 sources. And if each source has a chance to drop an average of 2 scraps. Thats 228 scraps on average for using each source only once.

Thats not bad at all.

Edit: Forgot the different types of large and heavy bags. 15 of each. So there 42 sources aside from armor. So 156 sources, for an average of 312 scraps for using each source once.

recognize my command!”

(edited by pdavis.8031)

please delete

phys.7689

Bag of Alliance Supplies
Large Bags
Heavy Bags
Level 58-80 light armor
Discarded Garment
Rag
Torn Rag
Torn Garment
Beautiful Knit Hat
Beautiful Knit Sock
Beautiful Knit Sweater

Armor:

So we are looking at a total of at least 114 sources. And if each source has a chance to drop an average of 2 scraps. Thats 228 scraps on average for using each source only once.

Thats not bad at all.

Edit: Forgot the different types of large and heavy bags. 15 of each. So there 42 sources aside from armor. So 156 sources, for an average of 312 scraps for using each source once.

no, many of your sources dont give an average of two scraps by far.
and crafted is a loss on silk, it always used up more coming into existence than it salavged into.
order armor… costs gold, you get back silver

many of your sources are really horrible sources

please delete

pdavis.8031

no, many of your sources dont give an average of two scraps by far.
and crafted is a loss on silk, it always used up more coming into existence than it salavged into.
order armor… costs gold, you get back silver

many of your sources are really horrible sources

While crafted IS a loss, if you are buying it and salvaging it solely for the scraps, or making it and salvaging it for the scraps. The point is that it is A source of silk. The discussion wasn’t whether or not they were good sources, or cost effective, but that they DO produce silk. And most of those bags have a chance to drop 1-3 scraps. So even with the RNG, one can still assume and average of 2 silk scraps per bag. Also the salvage items have a silk drop rate of 1-3 scraps per. So again, an average of 2.

Granted there are some large/heavy bags that don’t provide silk at all. But even then there still is ~150 sources of silk in the game.

recognize my command!”

please delete

Wanze.8410

Bag of Alliance Supplies
Large Bags
Heavy Bags
Level 58-80 light armor
Discarded Garment
Rag
Torn Rag
Torn Garment
Beautiful Knit Hat
Beautiful Knit Sock
Beautiful Knit Sweater

Armor:

Thats not bad at all.

There are over 3000 different armor items on the tp in the level range of dropping t5 common mats when salvaged. I figured, a third of them gonna be light armor. I think you forgot the armor from drops only.

please delete

pdavis.8031

^^

I didnt factor in each different stat per armor. So 23 different stat types over 6 different skins adds in an additional 828 different pieces, just for light dropped armor. And of course you have about the same for crafted armor, and all the named light armor. So that makes up for the rest, so 3000 isnt that All that far fetched.

Wow plenty of sources for silk…why do people say its so hard to get!?

recognize my command!”

please delete

Essence Snow.3194

^^

I didnt factor in each different stat per armor. So 23 different stat types over 6 different skins adds in an additional 828 different pieces, just for light dropped armor. And of course you have about the same for crafted armor, and all the named light armor. So that makes up for the rest, so 3000 isnt that All that far fetched.

A lot of players do not like buying everything off the tp. They like going out and getting themselves directly. That’s where the issue lies.

please delete

pdavis.8031

^^

A lot of players do not like buying everything off the tp. They like going out and getting themselves directly. That’s where the issue lies.

True, but even with just dropped armor there is still tons of silk available. Also in most of the discussions about silk, its those wanting to buy it off the TP that are complaining the most about prices and amounts needed.

In any event it would intresting to see on average per day how much silk is coming in and out.

recognize my command!”

please delete

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

^^

True, but even with just dropped armor there is still tons of silk available. Also in most of the discussions about silk, its those wanting to buy it off the TP that are complaining the most about prices and amounts needed.

In any event it would intresting to see on average per day how much silk is coming in and out.

That would be really cool… but tbh I think it would be cool to see how much of anything comes and goes into the market on a day to day basis… (As long as it isn’t giant eyes)

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

please delete

Behellagh.1468

Right now there’s around 3/4 of a million silk scraps in supply on the TP. Now before Damask and ascended armor came out there was over 4 million in supply at +1 c over vendor. But a lot of Damask is needed in each armor set, twice as much for light. Now I think their mistake was doubling the silk bolt amount to 100 when it’s only 50 for both Elonian Leather and Deldrimor Steel. Elonian Leather uses Thick Leather Sections which were also a glut at vendor +1c but because it’s not needed in every set and you only need 50 Thick Squares, it’s price barely budged and the glut is worse than ever with the price being vendor +15%.

RIP City of Heroes

please delete

phys.7689

^^

not sure if you are serious here.
i mean if you are just curious about numbers, thats fine, but to take that information and jump to, wow its “easy” to get, is ignoring so many factors its amazing.

First of all the number means nothing on its own.
there is 150-180 million carats of diamonds sold a year, does that mean diamonds are easy to get?

What are you comparing it to
How much does a player have to consume to use it
How many people need it
How many of these sources are actually cost effective to use as sources
How much do these sources actually yield on average ( i will tell you that from most bags they are far less common than 2 per bag)
How much actual time does it take to specifically farm it

please delete

Ayrilana.1396

Considering that the silk topic has taken up an entire page and likely won’t stop, shouldn’t this discussion be brought into a new thread?

please delete

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

My hero!

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

there is 150-180 million carats of diamonds sold a year, does that mean diamonds are easy to get?

Random aside, you should read about the diamond market (it’s pretty messed up on a bunch of levels).

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Bloodstone dust. Nothing like checking numbers after a meeting to see how much something has increase and there’s 10 more digits than you were expecting.

please delete

pdavis.8031

Bloodstone dust. Nothing like checking numbers after a meeting to see how much something has increase and there’s 10 more digits than you were expecting.

10 more digits!? Holy Clam Sauce Batman!!!!!
Thats quite a bit.

Other than Mawdrey, have you considered another Bloodstone dust sink? Maybe some new recipes or something?

Also what about the global economy ramifications of making Bloodstone Dust, and other ascended crafting mats vendorable?

recognize my command!”

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Thats quite a bit.

Other than Mawdrey, have you considered another Bloodstone dust sink? Maybe some new recipes or something?

Also what about the global economy ramifications of making Bloodstone Dust, and other ascended crafting mats vendorable?

I would be less concerned with the global economic ramifications than the fact that adding a vendor value isn’t an elegant solution, you should get something for that material that isn’t 2c, because 2c never feels good and just adds to the money supply.

please delete

Previous

John Smith.4610

Next

Thats quite a bit.

I would be less concerned with the global economic ramifications than the fact that adding a vendor value isn’t an elegant solution, you should get something for that material that isn’t 2c, because 2c never feels good and just adds to the money supply.

edit: double post for forum formatting