I hope Anet realizes....... [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

A big part of the issue with Wildstar is that they focused on the hardcore players at max level. That left the more casuals with nothing new to do.

Now GW2 is following the same path. They are releasing new raid content which is of interest to a minority of the players, , and is mostly a once a week activity for most of those who actually do play it.

So, why is ANET going down this path? There is nothing wrong with adding raid wings. the problem is when it is the ONLY content being released.

Because “hardcore” players are also the loudest on forums and other platforms, and upper management is convinced that “hardcore” is what is important because they look at the forums and all they see is people whining about the game not being “hardcore” enough.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

Because there is a lot of causal PvE content already so they are focusing on fleshing out harder content for a while?

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Yeah, figured that the devs would have learned by experience on how to offer raids to players.

The other issue is that they put together content quickly and shove it out the door without thinking about things fully.

Thought gw2 was supposed to be different, but they keep looking like the same old same old mmo.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Wildstar is an intricate game and isn’t really comparable.

GW2 is the most forgiving game I’ve ever played. Even among 1 player games. Even moreso than Oblivion where you can wear 5 chameleon enchantments to be invisible… forever.

That’s kitten ed forgiving. Raids are just as forgiving. They are also 3 years late.

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

WS didn’t fail because of raids it was the attuning process and the fact that if you didn’t rank up in pvp the first couple weeks you were kittened because the people that climbed got the best gear then tanked there rating so they would only be put with people that had low gear score. Which made it so you couldn’t rank in pvp unless you were there the first 2 weeks. That plus the “hard” attuning process ruined the game.

Posted by: Felahr.9830

Felahr.9830

Your logic is Raid content=only caring about HC players? thats the biggest and most inane leap iv ever heard.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Your logic is Raid content=only caring about HC players? thats the biggest and most inane leap iv ever heard.

Agree

Posted by: TheNecrosanct.4028

TheNecrosanct.4028

A big part of the issue with Wildstar is that they focused on the hardcore players at max level. That left the more casuals with nothing new to do.

Now GW2 is following the same path. They are releasing new raid content which is of interest to a minority of the players, , and is mostly a once a week activity for most of those who actually do play it.

So, why is ANET going down this path? There is nothing wrong with adding raid wings. the problem is when it is the ONLY content being released.

Because “hardcore” players are also the loudest on forums and other platforms, and upper management is convinced that “hardcore” is what is important because they look at the forums and all they see is people whining about the game not being “hardcore” enough.

By that reasoning Raids will soon be removed from GW2, because right now there are many threads of people complaining about Raids, legendary armor being gated behind it, etc.

Raids aren’t the only content to be released. If you’ve read their AMA you’d know that many more things are in the pipeline. ANet just doesn’t like to announce when they release said stuff while it’s still in development. LS season 3 will start this year, new legendaries will be introduced, spring balance update will still come, they are working on WvW and sPvP with results we will also see this year.

ANet wants to cater to as many of their players as possible. A portion of the community are hardcore gamers, so the Raid has been put in the game for them. Everything that was in game before Raids were introduced is still there, so if GW2 was casual friendly before, it still is. With the exception of HoT stats ascended trinkets, all that is gated behind Raids are skins. You can get equal armor and weapon stats without ever doing Raids by crafting/looting ascended gear. You can even change the stats of your ascended gear for a small price, just like legendary gear can change stats (the only difference there being no price, except losing upgrades on the gear, but that goes for converting ascended gear too).

If players don’t want to Raid, that’s fine. But why do people forget that everything they used to enjoy is still in the game? Why this honing in on Raids as content they can’t participate in? If the entire game was made hardcore, I’d understand all the complaints. As for now, this relatively tiny aspect in the entire game does not make GW2 into WS or any kind of hardcore game at all. Just focus on the content that was made for the vanilla players, and let the hardcore players enjoy their new content. When the 3 Forsaken Thicket wings are all released, focus will be on other updates again (updates they are already working on at this time) and vanilla players will have new content while hardcore players will have to wait for an eventual second Raid.

Posted by: Rhyav.4812

Rhyav.4812

The Anet people are themselves hardcore players. They are thus biased toward the viewpoint of the hardcore customer players. I think that they are confusing what they want to play with what the majority of the customers want to play.

If you checked Guild Chats and dev responses on the Forums and Reddit you’d know about 1 out of 10 people from their dev teams are hardcore players. The rest only play 2 hours a day top, most of them haven’t even reached max Mastery Points or stepped into Raids more than an hour or so. Ruby even said she killed VG for the first time a few days ago.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

problem with this logic is that wildstar is not as old as gw2.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: Kalarchis.8635

Kalarchis.8635

I don’t understand why people get so worked up about this. They’re working on LS3. They’re working on the next expansion. In the meantime, they’re releasing raid wings. They have multiple projects going at any one time and they’re not all ready together. The raid is the focus at the moment…and that’s nothing to be bothered over.

This is like going to a restaurant and getting mad that another table got their food first. There’s nothing wrong with serving that table. The problem is when that’s the ONLY table being served.

Except it’s not. It’s just the only table being served at this moment. Relax; your food is on the way.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

For the last 3 years they’ve been focusing on pve casuals – End result they have nothing to do 2-3 days after drop. Clearly creating zero resistance pve is not the correct route either, it isn’t logical from a business point either when they are trying to keep things realtively free but working nonestop. Other areas of the game have been complete neglected for years.

In the end though there is only one question that needs to be answered – R U Jelly that we got the best 5 devs of the team working on our content over yours? XDD

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

This is a bit of an exaggeration. The game is still VERY casual for the most part. The only thing kind of disappointing is how long we’re going to have to wait for the Living Story to start up again. I also hope when it starts up that it’s longer than the previous ones. They’ve been way too short.

Posted by: Bebunw.8137

Bebunw.8137

it’s starting guys, only 2 people in my friends list logged in this evening i used to have more people logged in before AMA anouncement.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

how do you know people interested in raids are the minority?
i guess they have data and if they are increasing raid wings is probably because according to their data enough player are worth the development… or you just say the raiders are a minority because you are not in said group?

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Deleena.3406

Deleena.3406

I have no interest in raid myself but it dose not bother me theres one area (a tiny % of PvE!) for people that want that type of content (now if the whole game became only raids i wouldnt be happy :s)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

WildStar foolishly poured most of their resources into raiding whereas ArenaNet only has a few devs working on it. The only mistake they’re making is putting so much focus on it, giving off the illusion that GW2 is just another raid grinder. If they would have released the raid all at once, we would have just had a year of nothing until the living story returned, much like what happened last time. I wouldn’t count on seeing more than 1 raid or season per expansion, with an expansion every 2-3 years.

Isn’t it common knowledge? Raiding has always been a minority and there’s no reason to expect anything different here.

i guess they have data and if they are increasing raid wings is probably because according to their data enough player are worth the development

They’re trying to tap into the raid/traditional market, a market which they failed to keep back at launch. As in those who complained that GW2 had no endgame – the people who didn’t understand what GW2 was meant to be.

(edited by Healix.5819)

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

Don’t care about Raids, but requiring you to play to get a mastery point is just wrong.

raids aside there are already enough mastery points in game that if you got all of them and unlocked all the masteries you would still have spare. this is an invalid complaint because you DONT have to do the raid to get enough mastery points, you dont even have to complete all the non raid mastery points to get enough

Two of the mastery points are only for raiding and the raid contains 3 mastery points. If you’re never going to raid, you absolutely don’t need those masteries.

Why are you telling him this? Unless you paid for his game you have no right to tell him he doesn’t need access to content he paid for.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Wildstar failed because:

1. Poorly optimized client. People with AMD cards couldn’t even play the game for the first month
2. Linear boring text quests needed to grind for levels.
3. Poorly implemented sub systems
4. no endgame casual content
5. high monthly fee

What GW2 has:
1. 6 out of 300 devs working on raids
2. 99% of content for casual players 1% for raiders
3. Fleshed out and stable client with working sub systems.

Gw2 is nothing like wildstar. I wish wildstar had focused on more general players though. The combat was much better than gw2. The story was original and fun. The cartoon style and humor was very entertaining. The fight mechanics were much better than gw2 as well.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

By that reasoning Raids will soon be removed from GW2, because right now there are many threads of people complaining about Raids, legendary armor being gated behind it, etc.

Well, if you look at the last AMA, Anet is already being really defensive about the effort and resources put into Raids. The Boss tried very hard to persuade everyone that raids are a complete sideshow and nonissue, only a small part that those not interested in shouldn’t worry about. Even when that was clearly not a case.
It’s certain that we’ll get the third wing (it’s already being worked on, after all), but after that? Who knows. I’d expect raids to be put on backburner for at least a while, until Anet’s completely sure if they’re worth getting back to or not.

ANet wants to cater to as many of their players as possible.

Yes. What they always forget about however is that sometimes opening themselves on a new group may alienate some of the players they already have.

A portion of the community are hardcore gamers, so the Raid has been put in the game for them. Everything that was in game before Raids were introduced is still there

That’s… not exactly true. And it’s not about raids alone, it’s about whole HoT and the changes it brought to the whole game.

With the exception of HoT stats ascended trinkets, all that is gated behind Raids are skins.

That’s a really big exception.

If players don’t want to Raid, that’s fine. But why do people forget that everything they used to enjoy is still in the game?

It may still be in the game, but the game is no longer about it. People that embraced the core game, but dislike HoT got downgraded to second category citizens, and they know it.

When the 3 Forsaken Thicket wings are all released, focus will be on other updates again (updates they are already working on at this time) and vanilla players will have new content while hardcore players will have to wait for an eventual second Raid.

Will they? They haven’t got anything for themselves in the whole expac. Expac they have to buy if they think of getting any new stuff like LS3 (exclusive for HoT owners, remember?).
Just now, a casual majority funded a bunch of content for a hardcore minority, without getting anything in exchange. You really think that’s okay?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Wildstar had a massive attunement process which knocked people back and kept them out of raids, GW2 has a free and open raid that anyone can enter immediately.

The comparison is silly.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Many games made statistics like that, and that one is always true, even in raid focused games. In Gw2 that percentage may be higher than usual (because raids are easier to get into), or worse (because they aren’t as challenging as many of the raiders wanted), but it won’t be that different.

1. 6 out of 300 devs working on raids

Not true. Read what was actually said.

2. 99% of content for casual players 1% for raiders

Also not true. HoT in general is not for casuals.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

problem with this logic is that wildstar is not as old as gw2.

My point is that ANET has changed direction and focus of their game. It is beginning to switch the vision to be more like wildstar. That is not a good thing.

style.6173

Wildstar had a massive attunement process which knocked people back and kept them out of raids, GW2 has a free and open raid that anyone can enter immediately.

The comparison is silly.

This is wrong though. ANYONE cannot immediately join a raid. You should know that.

style.6173

I don’t understand why people get so worked up about this. They’re working on LS3. They’re working on the next expansion. In the meantime, they’re releasing raid wings. They have multiple projects going at any one time and they’re not all ready together. The raid is the focus at the moment…and that’s nothing to be bothered over.

This is like going to a restaurant and getting mad that another table got their food first. There’s nothing wrong with serving that table. The problem is when that’s the ONLY table being served.

Except it’s not. It’s just the only table being served at this moment. Relax; your food is on the way.

There has been no real other content for almost 6 months. People would complain at a restaurant if they had to wait that long. That’s the point of this thread.

style.6173

I’m just waiting for something dumb like player housing to be added. Then I will know GW2 is close to end of life.

style.6173

it’s starting guys, only 2 people in my friends list logged in this evening i used to have more people logged in before AMA anouncement.

That’s because for most players, there is nothing to do. If you don’t enjoy raids, it has been boring. There is only so many times a person can do the HoT map events

Posted by: Wayfinder.8452

Wayfinder.8452

I suggest OP reads the AMA on reddit.

The GW2 team isn’t trying to be “Wildstar”, they are well aware of what is going on with the game.

Hardcore players are mostly the kind that needs new challenging content at a steady pace, while casual players play on and off so it is a good bet to produce large chunks of content (expansions) for them. Toss in some living story in the mix, when things go dire and it’s all good.

The man who can wield the power of this sword can summon to him an army
more deadly than any that walks this earth. Put aside the Ranger.
Become who you were born to be. I give hope to men. I keep none for myself.

Posted by: SnowHawk.3615

SnowHawk.3615

I still like the players in this game, still a great friendly bunch- more so than alot of other MMOs in my opinion, but otherwise I don’t find myself enjoying the game like I did before HoT release.
I feel like the new content is forced grind in order to get a reward, and it gets burnt out really fast when it isn’t changed up from time to time.
Something for more.. I hate to use the word elitist but, something that fits in several categories without being easy/boring gameplay for elitists, or too hard for casual players. I don’t know if that makes sense… but yea..

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

The comparison is silly.

This is wrong though. ANYONE cannot immediately join a raid. You should know that.

Yeah. You need HoT to join the raid.

Coulter.2315

The comparison is silly.

Yes they can… You can walk in with any character that can reach the door, there is zero attunement.

You are mixing up the attunement which locked people out of WS’s raiding with having the right attitude GW2’s raiding requires (I hope you aren’t doing this deliberately).

The reason WS had problems is people wanted to raid but were blocked by attunement, GW2 has no such problem.

Your comparison between the games is false.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

@TheNecrosanct

Sorry, I didn’t want to quote the whole thing, so I’m quoting you like this.

“ANet wants to cater to as many of their players as possible.”

No they don’t.

They won’t balance professions seperately for pve and pvp because it will “add a lot of overhead”…

They gated the best armors in the game behind a game mode that doesn’t appeal to most mmo players, but do things like let wvw players remain unrewarding for years…

Customers have begged for years for improved communication, but we are left in the dark.

I feel anet makes “business” decisions, not “for the love of gaming” decisions. They also seem very out of touch with their play base.

I also feel if they were really trying to “cater” to all players, they would respect the fact that players have their preferences and start rewarding players equally for supporting their game.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: exp.3168

exp.3168

what is a raid? is it a new thing toward WvW to get people back.

Posted by: Heibi.4251

Heibi.4251

I my book, locking Legendary Armor behind the raid is a bad move. Since the vast majority of players didn’t demand raids or at least thought raids would be more than kill boss, kill boss, kill boss, etc… I think locking such an item behind something that has started a pay to raid business in a lot of cases is bad business. Who is paying the bills? The 90%, not the 10% who supposedly “demanded” hard content.

Leader of Central Anime(CA)
Tifa Ran/Ranger with a Pet
Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

style.6173

The comparison is silly.

Yes they can… You can walk in with any character that can reach the door, there is zero attunement.

You are mixing up the attunement which locked people out of WS’s raiding with having the right attitude GW2’s raiding requires (I hope you aren’t doing this deliberately).

The reason WS had problems is people wanted to raid but were blocked by attunement, GW2 has no such problem.

You focus too much on attunement. The point is that you need content for EVERYONE. Raids are only popular for a small subset AND even most of them only raid once a week.

Building out dungeons or fractals are better since people can do those daily.

style.6173

I still like the players in this game, still a great friendly bunch- more so than alot of other MMOs in my opinion, but otherwise I don’t find myself enjoying the game like I did before HoT release.
I feel like the new content is forced grind in order to get a reward, and it gets burnt out really fast when it isn’t changed up from time to time.
Something for more.. I hate to use the word elitist but, something that fits in several categories without being easy/boring gameplay for elitists, or too hard for casual players. I don’t know if that makes sense… but yea..

I feel the same. The game was fun before HoT. HoT was also fun for a 2-3 weeks and then I realized it was just a grind.

Not to mention that HoT also destroyed WvW.

Coulter.2315

The comparison is silly.

You focus too much on attunement. The point is that you need content for EVERYONE. Raids are only popular for a small subset AND even most of them only raid once a week.

I focused on the raid related issue with WS, which is the topic you started…

WS had other problems (leveling/questing was meh and new IP with meh lore), but the whole game led up to raids then put a massive block infront of people, the attunement is a crucial issue people had because it stopped them raiding.

You cannot compare GW2 and raiding with WS.. Your whole point is silly (I played WS and know what its issues were, they are not anything linked to GW2).

To your “design things for everyone” point, they are – just the raid team has finished first. I would love LS3 and more too, but trying to say GW2 raiding makes it anything like WS and could cause its downfall (again you started this thread on this exact point) is stupid.

As for your final point, when they add more raid content then there will be enough for people to do daily, as for myself I have raided almost every evening this week with the new wing being excellent.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

There has been no real other content for almost 6 months. People would complain at a restaurant if they had to wait that long. That’s the point of this thread.

I’ll assume you are refering to post HoT release (which going by it’s October 23rd release was 4.5 months ago and not 6, but minor details). So let’s see what this no new content is:

- Squad UI, Legendary weapons, lots of bug fixing post release during November
- Pvp season 1 in december as well as fractal reward rework and more bug fixes and balancing
- shared inventory slots and major balance rework in January as well as, once again, more bug fixing
- Pvp season 2 launched in February

all this while still having the seasonal Halloween, Wintersday and Lunar events.

Yes, they did add 2 raid wings during this time and WvW is having issues since the new maps are not as popular as expected, which is getting addressed.

So when you are talking about no content, I’m not really sure what you are talking about. Content does not magically appear out of thin air, especially when your team has been working on releasing and adjusting the latest expansion to customer needs/demands. Then again, since a lot of people like bringing up players numbers interested in content, maybe arenanet should start focusing on pve only and let pvp out to dry, you know since the pvp playerbase is a minor fraction of the pve playerbase.

As someone mentioned earlier, if the fact that 6 devs out of 300 working on raid content is a bother to you, then I guess there is no reasoning with you.

Bebunw.8137

i didn’t play wildstar but for me gw2 try more to be Wow-like ( —-—>raids ).
And is funny to see all the pro raiders arguing with the same “only 6 devs out of 300” but it’s wrong, it’s only 6 dev working full times only, it’s clearly required more than that to do the raids. There is lot more devs not working full time on it involved for the musics, the graphics of monsters, environnements and new skins, the server programming, the testing, the cutscene ect…

(edited by Bebunw.8137)

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

let’s assume it really is only 6 out of 300 developers working on raids.

my question is if it is so easy what the hack is the dungeon and fractal team doing for the past 3 years.

My whole thoughts is raid is necessary because instanced group content is very lacking in gw2.

Bebunw.8137

My whole thoughts is raid is necessary because instanced group content is very lacking in gw2.

Only if they wanna do like other MMOs, but it was not gw2 philosophy to do like other MMOs. Gw2 was unique from the start (dynamic events, no kill steals, no ressource node steal, no fight for loots, megaservers ect…).

Coulter.2315

Only if they wanna do like other MMOs, but it was not gw2 philosophy to do like other MMOs. Gw2 was unique from the start (dynamic events, no kill steals, no ressource node steal, no fight for loots ect…).

Doesn’t mean it cannot have good and popular things in it just because other games have them.

Bebunw.8137

Only if they wanna do like other MMOs, but it was not gw2 philosophy to do like other MMOs. Gw2 was unique from the start (dynamic events, no kill steals, no ressource node steal, no fight for loots ect…).

Doesn’t mean it cannot have good and popular things in it just because other games have them.

How raids are popular when a minority of all the player base of gw2 do them ? And what if legendary armor wasn’t lock behind raids, there would be even less people doing them xD

(edited by Bebunw.8137)

Coulter.2315

How raids are popular when a minority of all the player base of gw2 do them ? And what if legendary armor wasn’t lock behind raids, there would be even less people doing them xD

Is football popular? Cause a minority of people play it.

Is poker popular? Cause a minority of people play it.

Is [insert any activity ever in the history of ever outside eating, sleeping, walking, breathing, having sex and drinking here] popular? Cause a minority do it.

Hope you understand my point…

(edited by Coulter.2315)

style.6173

I’ll assume you are refering to post HoT release (which going by it’s October 23rd release was 4.5 months ago and not 6, but minor details). So let’s see what this no new content is:

- Squad UI, Legendary weapons, lots of bug fixing post release during November
- Pvp season 1 in december as well as fractal reward rework and more bug fixes and balancing
- shared inventory slots and major balance rework in January as well as, once again, more bug fixing
- Pvp season 2 launched in February

all this while still having the seasonal Halloween, Wintersday and Lunar events.

Yes, they did add 2 raid wings during this time and WvW is having issues since the new maps are not as popular as expected, which is getting addressed.

So when you are talking about no content, I’m not really sure what you are talking about. Content does not magically appear out of thin air, especially when your team has been working on releasing and adjusting the latest expansion to customer needs/demands. Then again, since a lot of people like bringing up players numbers interested in content, maybe arenanet should start focusing on pve only and let pvp out to dry, you know since the pvp playerbase is a minor fraction of the pve playerbase.

As someone mentioned earlier, if the fact that 6 devs out of 300 working on raid content is a bother to you, then I guess there is no reasoning with you.

The holiday events were just retreads from previous years. Were there any new events?
Shared inventory slots? You are counting gem store items as new content?
PvP is different. I’m focusing on PvE content

style.6173

The comparison is silly.

I focused on the raid related issue with WS, which is the topic you started…

Oh, I see the issue. You missed my point completely. I’m talking about a lack of non-hardcore PvE. That’s the current problem.

As I said originally, I have no issues with releasing raid content. I just want to see other stuff to do for people who don’t raid.

LS3 is taking forever, dungeons are dead, and fractals are just swamp.

Bebunw.8137

a minority play football but a majority watch it and have interest watching it, and i wouldn’t say a minority play poker. When a majority has interest on something that’s what is called popularity.

(edited by Bebunw.8137)

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

my question is if it is so easy what the hack is the dungeon and fractal team doing for the past 3 years.

Dungeon team was disbanded shortly after release 3 years ago and fractal team was created after HoT launch.

Coulter.2315

a minority play football but a majority watch it and have interest watching it, and i wouldn’t say a minority play poker. When a majority has interest on something that’s what is called popularity.

So just so everyone is clear you’re telling us you need >50% of all humanity to do something for it to be “popular.” You think a “majority” of people play poker.

I guess you just don’t grasp how many people there are who don’t like the same things as you.. Which I guess kinda makes sense given your post above.

Bebunw.8137

not 50% but a significant amount of people, there is different degrees of popularity. And i didnt say all i like is popular, it ‘s not because you like something that it is popular, raids can be popular but it’s just not in gw2 as much as you think it is.

(edited by Bebunw.8137)