I'm frustrated to the point of giving up

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ecaflip.3460

ecaflip.3460

The dungeon gold nerf was just far too much for me to stay attracted to this game anymore.
“hurr do raids”
With what gear? I don’t have the money to even raise my crafting lvls to craft ascended gear, let alone the gold required in materials to craft each piece. It’s an absolutely horrible catch 22: I don’t have the money to craft ascended gear because the gold rewards got majorly nerfed, I CAN’T get the money from raids since I lack the aforementioned ascended gear. There is literally no feasible way for non-raiding PvE players to make any amount of decent money out side of silverwaste braindead farming which is going to get nerfed in the future so I won’t even count that.
“hurr play the market”
I played guild wars 2 for PvE content, not a stupid market simulator, take your snark elsewhere you bookah.

If there’s any other way to amass gold that isn’t braindead silverwastes or the boresome trade post, please tell me. I absolutely hate that I can’t play the way I want to be play because the devs think everyone is actually raid ready. It’s absolutely infuriating.

I wish leveling was easier

Posted by: Urosh Uchiha.9732

Urosh Uchiha.9732

I do agree with everything that you said OP, except for one thing. Dungeon speedruns for gold were also a braindead type of a thing. Just like the silverwastes.

Posted by: VaLee.5102

VaLee.5102

Do it the way ANet expects you to do, buy gems with real money and convert them to gold.

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

1. Raids are not in the game yet. They will be added after the raid UI is implemented.
  2. Gold is hard to acquire in this game by design. It’s really the only reason that inflation hasn’t crushed the market.
  3. As many other posts have pointed out the armor itself is only a 2% boost. The boost from ascended weps and jewelry is much higher. Consequently weapons and jewelry can be obtained without cost via Fractals, Guild Missions, Collections etc…

My advice is make sure you have ascended weapons and jewelry and then just slowly make your armor as money naturally accrues by just playing the game.

(edited by Kadin.2356)

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

I don’t get this post. How do you know raids will give a lot of gold?

I doubt they will give any more gold than doing any other things in the game… typical Anet style; do challenging things for the same rewards as braindead things.

If you enjoy doing braindead things, just farm frac 40… and sell those frac encryption boxes… 1 gold per run… faster than dungeon runs.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Artemis Thuras.8795

Artemis Thuras.8795

sell those frac encryption boxes…

They are account bound now.

what?

when did this happen?

edit: are you referring to the achieve chess, not the encryption boxes?

Co-Leader of The Mythical Dragons [MYTH],
Advocate of learning and being a useful party member.
http://mythdragons.enjin.com/recruitment

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Would you consider playing HoT, “braindead farming”?

I’ve made probably about 200g just from playing HoT since launch. I’ve taken two characters through the expansion and working on a third. Across all three, I have about 3 stacks of Silk, tons of Elder Wood, about a stack of Ancient Wood, bookoo’s of leather mats, I know for a fact, 3 stacks of Flax, nearly 200 Ectos, etc…etc… and this isn’t figured into the amount of gold I mentioned I’ve made, this stuff’s just sitting in my character’s inventories/bank.

My point being, getting the mats required for Ascended gear seems to be pretty easy. Work on HoT achievements, level them Masteries, run a few of your characters through for the Crystilline Ore, pick-up all the Flax to sell ( still at around 6-7s each ) and sell what you don’t need.

Don’t know, doesn’t seem too hard to me.

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Anet loves kittening me over. Been saving mine to sell it all in one go. So messy. Why do they just change things without a warning? So annoying. It kittens people up.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

what?

when did this happen?

edit: are you referring to the achieve chess, not the encryption boxes?

They are. Encryption boxes are not bound.

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

Do it the way ANet expects you to do, buy gems with real money and convert them to gold.

This sadly does seem to be Anet’s new economy meta.

Posted by: ecaflip.3460

ecaflip.3460

I’ve made probably about 200g just from playing HoT since launch. I’ve taken two characters through the expansion and working on a third. Across all three, I have about 3 stacks of Silk, tons of Elder Wood, about a stack of Ancient Wood, bookoo’s of leather mats, I know for a fact, 3 stacks of Flax, nearly 200 Ectos, etc…etc… and this isn’t figured into the amount of gold I mentioned I’ve made, this stuff’s just sitting in my character’s inventories/bank.

My point being, getting the mats required for Ascended gear seems to be pretty easy. Work on HoT achievements, level them Masteries, run a few of your characters through for the Crystilline Ore, pick-up all the Flax to sell ( still at around 6-7s each ) and sell what you don’t need.

I wouldn’t consider playing HoT brain dead no, but none of my characters are currently at the level cap to even start with any of their content. I’m a very casual player and I used dungeons to finance my gear as well as my occasional crafting leveling. I have no idea how you amassed over 200g, but I’m sure it was through quite a bit of dedicated play time. I only really have the opportunity to play an hour or two at most when I get the free time to actually play.

I wish leveling was easier

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

1. Gold is hard to acquire in this game by design. It’s really the only reason that inflation hasn’t crushed the market.

I know it is John Smith’s current “belief”, but i disagree with his “beliefs”. Increase drop rates on everything, and don’t worry about the gold. The market will be flooded with materials, which will drive the price down.

What happens after that? Well, people will be complaining that they have no content.

What does this mean for ANet? They need to get better at EVERYTHING, along with faster. Look, i know we all think ANet is this little, small-time developer with hardly the resources to keep things afloat, and we’d all like to just give them all of our cash, because its in the interest of our hobby. The truth of this, is that they 5 million subs, and gem store sales are amazing, when they do their jobs and create stuff people will buy.

And i’ve said this a 100 times in various places, but it ANet doesn’t “get” what i’m saying, above, then someone will come along and do it, and take their playerbase away. Its that simple.

For those of you complaining that you are going to quit, just keep an open mind available, for when the competition builds a better mousetrap.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

or 5 million registered accounts, not subs. Same thing.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

a 5% stat buffer won’t do much for a player with a good general awareness of what the raid involves.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

You 2on’t need ascended to start in raids, though you can get trinkets for cheap. You will get chances at ascended, and mats to make the gear, in the raids themselves, which is the point of raids anyway. I don’t know why folks decided that they have to gear before they even raid when the raid itself is designed to gear you as you progress through beating each wing.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Monk Tank.5897

Monk Tank.5897

Obviously this guy didn’t get past Verdant Brink. He missed all the loot in the lost city
Spoiler Alert
Auric Basin ~ More loot than Silverwastes chest farm. And 100 times more FUN.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Only playing an hour or two per day might not be very compatible with raids. It will take a chunk of time just to get a team of that size assembled and organised.

Posted by: Avectius.3271

Avectius.3271

This sadly does seem to be Anet’s new economy meta.

And there it is, folks.

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

So basically you are saying. I don’t know how to make gold anymore so there is no way to make gold? I agree that the dungeon nerf what a bad move, but it doesn’t mean that there is no way to make gold.

1) Dungeon can still reward you around 4 to 8 gold per hours depending on your group/path. The nerf wasn’t that bad, but the psychological impact was huge, because they nerfed the obvious big number.

2) Why silverwaste would be nerfed? It’s pretty much as the same place it was, they didn’t nerf it in the xpac, they didn’t nerf it in the last year. There is no indication of them nerfing it. Dungeon reward nerf was to limit the amount of strait gold injected in the economy. Silverwaste doesn’t inject that kind of gold. I’m not saying they won’t nerf it, but they seem to be pretty ok with the current state of that map.

3) With all these new material in high demand, you can make a lot of gold in the new maps. It will even more once we can craft the new legendary.

4) With the xp a good thing to get, old map like Cursed Shore are now more alive than ever. True you will do more gold per hours in Silverwaste, but Cursed Shore isn’t too far behind. while giving you a lot of xp and IMO, it’s a lot of fun.

5) People have a hard time to see it, but fractal give you a good amount of money too. Yep, ascended box were nerf, but that doesn’t change the fact that you can get a good amount of gold per hour there if you know how and have the mastery.

That’s only a few on top of my head and for now i’m focusing more on doing new achievement on new maps. I’m sure over time more and more stop will be well known.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Posted by: gricks.1897

gricks.1897

Yea, I never used the dungeons personally for gold gain. Dungeons have always just been the easiest, brain dead method for gold gain. Very similar to Silverwaste chest farm. Its easy, super easy.

As mentioned above though HoT has introduced a BUNCH of easy gold gain areas. I got 13g over just an hour for the events in Auric. That’s the average.

PS: I am not using “braindead” to describe players, I am using it to describe the content. I do it plenty if I am bored and just want money.

The Wrecking Krewe[NYE] – [Maguuma] Arum Bloodclaw

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

for the average person with a job and a life, thats a feat to accomplish bud… for someone spending 16+ hours a day that would be do-able. There is a huge difference between the 2. casuals and even the semi hardcore would have a tough time getting what you just posted… which i’m beggining to doubt you actually acquired that much in such a short time(200 gold AND all them stacks of silk/ecto’s/flax, seems unlikely unless as i said before… you spent ungodly hours doing that stuff).

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Wait, how do you not have gold for gear if you had previously gotten a lot of gold from dungeons?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

Back in the day people used to collect all their own materials to raise their crafting professions.

You don’t have to buy everything with gold you know?

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Well you could have just got your entire ascended set from Fractal Daily boxes before HoT within a month.

Not so much anymore lol. They nerfed that too

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Wait, how do you not have gold for gear if you had previously gotten a lot of gold from dungeons?

My guess: gambling it away betting on the Cattlepult.

Watch out, those cows are rigged!

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

^^
This.

I applaud Anet for nerfing dungeon rewards and spreading gold faucets across the player base instead of giving it to a fair few speedrunners who thought their earnings were just remotely justified for the effort or skill dungeon runs required.

Right now the player base is using up alot of basic mats, which means regular farming offers alot of profit.

Green wood logs and copper ore go nearly for 2s, soft wood logs and iron ore for 4s, low level herb patches yield between 5-20 silver on average.
Harvesting the 3 blooming passifloras in SSC yields 2g once per day.
Quartz from DR, 10s per crystal.
Nevermind the average yields from new nodes in HoT.

Dungeon rewards?
Ghostly Spineguards (rare back item) vom AC 20-50g on tp now
Fiber Splice from CoE, 15-25g
Just to name a few dungeon specific rewards which have seen a significant price spice since HoT.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Wanze.8410

My guess: gambling it away betting on the Cattlepult.

Watch out, those cows are rigged!

You better start gambling because I have it from unreliable authority that FLying Cow Tokens will be needed to craft the new legendary shortbow, which shoots farting cows instead of unicorns.

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

@ecaflip.3460 gear costed imo mostly honor badges, at least costed, duno if those npc’s are still arround.
But yeah, crafting in this game overall is a bit dull and expensive, that is one of the reasons i dont pve, and used to get my gear trough WvW.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: WiredHot.7651

WiredHot.7651

You can obtain gold by completing world maps. For the first time I just completed the world map and in one week I earned 54 gold. One of the exotic weapons for completing one of the maps, had a rune worth 12 gold. Another map after completion gave me two exotics worth 3 gold. The rest of the gold came from selling materials.

Reunited with God my creator, after calling upon Jesus as Lord. What an incredible experience.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

Not my experience, at all.

I’ve made virtually nothing from playing the new maps, on two chars, aside from a small pile of flax seeds which should sell for a few gold.

Admittedly, I haven’t played them constantly and repeatedly, for days, as I haven’t been enjoying them very much, other than visually, outside the initial exploration phase.

But, I have played them enough to know that they are not very rewarding.

Maybe they are if you are constantly being taxied to new maps, to do events, but just playing the map(s) you’re given and/or offered gets you nowhere fast.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Wanze.8410

I’ve made virtually nothing from playing the new maps, on two chars, aside from a small pile of flax seeds which should sell for a few gold.

Admittedly, I haven’t played them constantly and repeatedly, for days, as I haven’t been enjoying them very much, other than visually, outside the initial exploration phase.

Maybe they are if you are constantly being taxied to new maps, to do events, but just playing the map(s) you’re given and/or offered gets you nowhere fast.

I guess youre skipping harvest nodes and if you get any mats, you deposit them instead of selling them.

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

I wouldn’t consider playing HoT brain dead no, but none of my characters are currently at the level cap to even start with any of their content. I’m a very casual player and I used dungeons to finance my gear as well as my occasional crafting leveling. I have no idea how you amassed over 200g, but I’m sure it was through quite a bit of dedicated play time. I only really have the opportunity to play an hour or two at most when I get the free time to actually play.

Why are you complaining about the dungeon nerf and making gold when you haven’t reached max level yet?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Not only is the Dungeon nerf sad but I’m disappointed HoT area doesn’t have any new 5man dungeons to do for XP, Tokens, etc. They coulda just lowered reward for super easy dungeon paths and upped the ones for harder if they needed to do anything. I generally didn’t farm the same paths all the time and did them for fun way to get money, xp and tokens when I was bored of SW and etc. I find myself in HoT zones getting bored of events after doing them so many times and wish there was a Dungeon I could do for XP there.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

That would be nice but they don’t want to make any more dungeons.

Posted by: Leamas.5803

Leamas.5803

The problem is that the dungeon farms were simply too rewarding in relation to the rest of the content, though I think the nerf should have been more like 50%, not 66%. 33s per path is not great, though, 50s I think is a little more reasonable.

If you want to make money, SELL EVERYTHING you don’t think you’ll need and never walk by a harvesting node (You get sellable materials AND XP from harvesting). If you don’t plan to make your own food, why sit on hundreds of raw material items in your bank, same goes for gems and the like. I personally never salvage anymore, I don’t need any more mythril, and luck is a lie. If using the TP, sell for at or above the current available and when you need something put a low offer in. This is ESPECIALLY true for very high volume items such as raw materials. You may wait longer for stuff, but ultimately make more and spend less. The TP is not a huge mystery and doesn’t have to be hours spent flipping to make a good impact on the gold in your wallet.

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

Run your characters through the personal story and use the Ley Line Sparks to make Ley-Line Tools which sell for 5-6g on TP last time i checked.

Heart of Thorns story episode 11 rewards 5 Sparks
Heart of Thorns story episode 13 rewards 10 Sparks

That will convert into 15 Ley-Line Tools = 90g per character!

First time around you may be gated by a couple of masteries but once you get past that wall you will be golden! Alternatively you can farm the map currency from Tangled Depths and open the caches there to earn tons of sparks and do the same process above.

There are many over priced items that come from HoT since they are high in demand so check the prices on TP of anything you acquire.
—————

Also yes while I agree that Dungeon gold nerf sucks but there are ways to farm gold at least till the demand is there.

Tigaseye.2047

I guess youre skipping harvest nodes and if you get any mats, you deposit them instead of selling them.

No, I wasn’t skipping them.

Occasionally, I wouldn’t have my gathering tools equipped, as I only have one set and it’s annoying to have to have to keep swapping them, but most of the time I did.

…and in fact I am now, often, actively looking for nodes, when I venture onto the new maps.

Yes, I’m depositing them, until I get full stacks, but I’m taking that into account.

It’s still only going to be a few gold, whichever way you look at it.

I wasn’t exclusively playing the new maps, at launch, because (repeatedly) doing openworld content is not my thing.

So, I was never going to be able to cash-in on the 20s a pile of seeds, or whatever, very much.

Even if I had stuck them all on the TP, ASAP, I would still probably only have made about 5 or 6g before the price dropped.

Which would have been nice, but would hardly have changed my complete outlook on this xpac…

I do mostly EotM and not only have they (apparently) nerfed the rewards – but also, since HoT launched, most of the materials salvaged from the blues you get from that have fallen significantly in value.

Silk is only about 1/3 of the price it was, pre-HoT, now.

I tend to chuck most greens into the forge and the few yellows I get back have fallen in price by about 1/3, too.

All this may improve, IDK, but ATM it’s obviously not good to be making even less than I was before.

Not only that, but I used to be able to level my little bank guild, albeit slowly, via doing EOTM/WvW and now I can’t.

I don’t just play for the rewards, but that doesn’t mean actually receiving less than before, for doing the same things and (in some cases) being stopped in our tracks entirely, is OK.

I did get extremely lucky and got a precursor in EotM, actually, so it hasn’t been all bad for me; but that is just pure luck and obviously not something everyone can rely on.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

This. 1 hour of work = 10 hours of farming in game.

You can see which is the clear winner and intended route anet wants us to go. Cash shop type players absolutely love this hence why they are so quick to defend Anet.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Not only is the Dungeon nerf sad but I’m disappointed HoT area doesn’t have any new 5man dungeons to do for XP, Tokens, etc. They coulda just lowered reward for super easy dungeon paths and upped the ones for harder if they needed to do anything. I generally didn’t farm the same paths all the time and did them for fun way to get money, xp and tokens when I was bored of SW and etc. I find myself in HoT zones getting bored of events after doing them so many times and wish there was a Dungeon I could do for XP there.

Gods it was like two years ago when they said there will be no new dungeons. How could you still be disappointed?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Tigaseye.2047

That would be nice but they don’t want to make any more dungeons.

I think that is because they know all dungeons will be more-or-less the same, unless they change the way our weapons, abilities and buffs work.

While melee>ranged and group heals and buffs are all stack-oriented, all dungeons will end up as permastackfests.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This. 1 hour of work = 10 hours of farming in game.

You can see which is the clear winner and intended route anet wants us to go. Cash shop type players absolutely love this hence why they are so quick to defend Anet.

Not defending ANet.

..but yay for gainful employment!

If GW2TP is right, one hour is worth 117 gold.
…o_O Well hot kitten, I should cash in.

Not that I understand the qqsalt over people buying gold with money (in a secure, legal way). They bring gem prices down so other people don’t have to grind as much to afford gem store items.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Agyaggalamb.4796

Agyaggalamb.4796

To those who brought up buying gold with real cash:

I have no issues with the option to buy gold with real moneyz, but it’s still not worthwhile IMO. Yes, I earn more an hour than I’d be able to farm an hour, but I’m already spending gems (paid by cash) on gemstore items, thank you very much.

Just checked the exchange. 1000 gold would be around 7300+ gems. When it will be at 4000 gems, maybe I’ll consider buying gold with gems, and at that rate an Eternity would still be like 200 EUR in real cash. For pixels. Very pretty pixels indeed, but that does not change the fact that it is way above my threshold for virtual stuff.

Leamas.5803

Not that I understand the qqsalt over people buying gold with money (in a secure, legal way). They bring gem prices down so other people don’t have to grind as much to afford gem store items.

You are mistaken, buying gold with real money does not bring prices down. This issue with buying gold with real money is that it causes inflation in-game because it puts new money in to the economy that never existed. The more money available, the more expensive things get, especially uber rare big ticket items. Now before anyone gets on my case about people converting gold to gems and that’s were gems come from, so there is a limited amount. That may have been true, to a point, a couple years ago but do you think ANet (NCSoft) is going to say no to someone who want to give them some money? There will also be an artificial floor on what gems to gold will be worth simply because if the value drops too much the only people who will buy gems are those looking to buy something in the gem store…and that’s NOT where the big money is. There are FAR more people buying gems with real money than there people buying gems with gold, simply due to the fact that you need gold to get the good stuff…not gems. I know lots of people who buy gems monthly, like a subscription service. In contrast, I haven’t heard of anyone putting gold in to gems in a long time.

Ironically, the only gold one can “buy” that has a minimal affect on the economy, is the illegal stuff the gold sellers sell simply due to the fact that that gold was already part of the economy and so can be considered “old money”. But this is dirty money acquired through hacked accounts or other nefarious means and should never be supported.

Rauderi.8706

You are mistaken, buying gold with real money does not bring prices down. This issue with buying gold with real money is that it causes inflation in-game because it puts new money in to the economy that never existed. …

They bring gem prices down

Not to be a bear about it, but the rest of what you wrote was based on a faulty premise of missed information.

Also, rising gem value freezes assets that were otherwise going to remain in game from irrepressible gold-farmers gaining loose cash from dungeons and other sources of liquid currency. All buying gems does is re-liquefy that for the buyer, who then injects that back into the economy, with a hefty service charge similar to the Black Lion Trading Post. Those fees remove huge chunks of gold at a time, first on the gold→gem transaction, and again on the gem→gold transaction.
All while giving ANet the real-money infusion they built the system for in the first place.

Many alts; handle it!
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Leamas.5803

Also, rising gem value freezes assets that were otherwise going to remain in game from irrepressible gold-farmers gaining loose cash from dungeons and other sources of liquid currency. All buying gems does is re-liquefy that for the buyer, who then injects that back into the economy, with a hefty service charge similar to the Black Lion Trading Post. Those fees remove huge chunks of gold at a time, first on the gold->gem transaction, and again on the gem->gold transaction.
All while giving ANet the real-money infusion they built the system for in the first place.

But what I’m saying is that there are far more gems being purchased with real money and converted to gold than there are gems being created from the gold being converted to gems and ANet will certainly not stop selling gems, so even after taxes, far more money comes in than goes out. Yes, there are other forms of liquid currency in the game, dungeons were very lucrative for a select few, but overall vendors probably create the most “new” in game gold, even more than the gem to gold conversion. It’s too bad GW2Spidey doesn’t give gem in/out volumes along with the historical trade value and ANet as long since removed the graphs from the interface. The only time I ever hear of anyone converting gold to gems is to pay for world transfers and even then, most people I know opt to use real money simply because the gold is worth too much now. It’s not like the early days, when you could buy 100 gems for 2 gold. Of course, in those early days few people were buying gems with real money because the gem to gold conversion was so bad that it simply wasn’t worthwhile. 100 gems costs over 20g at them moment. Few people, even the uber rich are going to pay that kind of money. I know I wouldn’t have the gold I have if I wasted it like that. However who does high prices like that benefit? High prices means big gold in game, means people are buying gems, means ANet wins, which isn’t a bad thing, except that it contributes to inflation.

Anyone who thinks people are converting enough gold to gems to cover the amount of gems purchased with real money is deluded.

Rauderi.8706

Oooh, I see where the flaw is now.

Gems bought with money and gems bought with gold come from two separate pools.

Me buying gems with salary doesn’t affect the gold->gem rate at all.

As gold in the gem/gold system increases, prices will rise. When a person buys gems for real currency and trades them in for gold, they then add gems to the gem/gold system, and the prices fall.

A bit of marketing research (I haven’t looked up specifics, so take it as you will), most money-transaction games expect 7%-11% of players to actually pay up. That leaves the remaining 90% to either go without, or in GW2’s case, buy gems with gold. The skew is definitely in the gold→gems direction, which is why prices rise. Fewer gems in the system, and more gold being added.

Also, I think Spidey’s been on the fritz recently. GW2TP works better, so I hear.

Many alts; handle it!

(edited by Rauderi.8706)

Posted by: Sparks The Rescue.5043

Sparks The Rescue.5043

I applaud Anet for nerfing dungeon rewards and spreading gold faucets across the player base instead of giving it to a fair few speedrunners who thought their earnings were just remotely justified for the effort or skill dungeon runs required.

Right now the player base is using up alot of basic mats, which means regular farming offers alot of profit.

Green wood logs and copper ore go nearly for 2s, soft wood logs and iron ore for 4s, low level herb patches yield between 5-20 silver on average.

Dungeon rewards?
Just to name a few dungeon specific rewards which have seen a significant price spice since HoT.

First off, it’s not some “take from the rich, give to the poor” econ principle. Second, Anet didn’t nerf dungeon rewards because of inflation. Everyone had access to dungeons, it’s not an upper-class privilege. They nerfed dungeons as a disincentive for players so they will be more likely to play raids and newer HoT content… Which doesn’t make any sense to me since they had bolstered since Aetherblade that the dungeon community was too small and they found most of their player base in other areas of the game…. (aka, no more dungeon content, which was fine, but then the disincentive?….. Come on.)

And, lastly, they didn’t “spread” the gold to other areas of the game. Rewards are kitten across the board with anything. They put kitten rewards behind a convoluted wall for FoTMs, nerfed dungeon rewards, didn’t release raids, and left us with 4 new maps to “gl&hf mining.”

(edited by Sparks The Rescue.5043)

Leamas.5803

And, lastly, they didn’t “spread” the gold to other areas of the game. Rewards are kitten across the board with anything. They put kitten rewards behind a convoluted wall for FoTMs, nerfed dungeon rewards, didn’t release raids, and left us with 4 new maps to “gl&hf mining.”

Rewards have ALWAYS been hit and miss in this game and the rewards we see today are a dream compared to the rewards we saw in the 6 months or so after Lost Shore. In those pre-megaserver days, loot was so bad nobody was doing anything except farming low level mobs and harvesting mats. The mere suggestion of doing a champ or a temple or a dragon on map chat sparked a wave of bitter flaming, because the cost of waypointing and the repair cost for your armor, when we still had to pay for it, was usually more than you got in rewards.

So yes, they’ve nerfed things that people farm, the dungeons and fractals took the biggest hit this time around and to be honest, I’m surprised it took them so long. They always nerf anything that’s profitable because it gets abused. Event farming in Orr…nerfed, regular mob farming…nerfed via DR, champ farming…nerfed, world boss/dragon/temple farming…essentially limited to once a day and rewards are usually underwealming, but at least there is a guaranteed reward better than a blue or green piece of vendor trash, which is better than can be said for most things. SW farming, you can bet there’s a nerf coming at some point.

What they HAVE done with the expansion is increase the drop rates for a lot of mats, and they’re practically giving away blues and greens on the level of the old champ trains, which can either be salvaged for mats or vendored for immediate coin. Doesn’t take long to add up in the new maps, especially if you’re running around doing events and HPs. They’re not taking it from anyone or giving it to anyone else, they’re trying to encourage people to play the new content by making it profitable. I’ve never seen so much T6 drop and the TP reflects that change, which translates in to spending less money on mats and items built using those mats. Same can be said for the legendary crafting. Since people started pursuing it, precursors have dropped an average of what, 20%? And while 965g for The Legend is a far cry from the 60g it was when I started playing the game, it’s a lot better than the 1200g it was a few weeks ago.

Wanze.8410

Dungeon rewards?

First off, it’s not some “take from the rich, give to the poor” econ principle. Second, Anet didn’t nerf dungeon rewards because of inflation. Everyone had access to dungeons, it’s not an upper-class privilege. They nerfed dungeons as a disincentive for players so they will be more likely to play raids and newer HoT content… Which doesn’t make any sense to me since they had bolstered since Aetherblade that the dungeon community was too small and they found most of their player base in other areas of the game…. (aka, no more dungeon content, which was fine, but then the disincentive?….. Come on.)

I never said that Anet nerfed dungeon rewards because of inflation because i dont think inflation was a problem in GW2 in the first place.

And they did spread direct gold faucets to other content, its just not as easily target farmable by players as it was the case in dungeons.
But for the average player who plays a variety of content, gold faucets got buffed in small amounts.

Instead of a small percentage of the player base being responsible for the mayority of gold generation, they made sure that the mayority of the player base is now responsible for gold generation in smaller amounts per player compared to past dungeon runners.

(edited by Wanze.8410)

Posted by: zaced.7948

zaced.7948

get a job.
10$ an hour converts to 100 gold. no method in the game will earn you taht much. instead of wasting time ingame just farm your gold in rl.