I'm not happy to see other players - looting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

One of the core-philosophies of this game is the cooperative aspect. You should be happy to see other players.

GW2 has done a great deal to go in the right direction, but there are still problems. Dragon Bash introduced an activity where it get’s very visual: You compete against other players to do enough damage on a mob in order to get it’s loot. While this is imho a big problem in this holiday-event it can also be a problem in the core of the game.

Lv.80 players who visist low level zones are very powerful. Despite backscaling they can do enormous damage to mobs and if there are 2 or more such players it’s difficult to get the participation next to them.

Now we have mining-nodes where every player can get his fair share. Why not take this concept and evolve it to battles? A solution would be to make corpses lootable by everyone around. If you come by too late you can still get your share. You won’t get the xp for killing the mob but you still get loot.

Wait a minute. Did I just say: I get loot when haven’t even participated in the battle? Yes I did. But… how is it rewarding to kill a mob then? Well, you get your loot anyway. Isn’t this BS, he just watched and did nothing… and still gets loot? Yeah, he’s in our team against the dragons, do you remember?

What do you think? Could you live with such a system? Do you think others just don’t earn their loot if they haven’t enough AOE-power with them?

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I like the idea, but a whole lot of people are going to come out against it. People don’t like the idea of others “leeching” off their hard work.

Posted by: havoc.6814

havoc.6814

Others will, unfortunately, leech. I don’t mind anyone getting something for free, but many will stand at meta-bosses doing nothing, just for the free loot. Their presence there will scale the event, making it even more difficult for those who are actively doing the event. That would get rather ugly.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I’m aware of that, but PvE in GW2 shouldn’t be about competition. There should be systems for competition (like challenge missions with speed-run activities for example), but it shouldn’t hit people who don’t want to compete imho.

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’d love to sees a different mechanic (which would kitten people off even more). I’d love to see a guy jump in, kill everything really fast, and get NO reward, because the game was able to tell he was a selfish kitten.

That’s what I’d like to see.

If that happened more often, people wouldn’t act the way they do.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Others will, unfortunately, leech. I don’t mind anyone getting something for free, but many will stand at meta-bosses doing nothing, just for the free loot. Their presence there will scale the event, making it even more difficult for those who are actively doing the event. That would get rather ugly.

Well as I understood it (Colin explained the system a while ago) players only count as participating (and make the event scale) when they do a minimum damage to the event-mobs. This means: the event scales only for the number of people who actually fight.

Furthermore I don’t think a lot of people would stand akitten next to an epic boss-battle. But let’s say some do… at the moment a lot of players don’t do much either. Newbies may haven’t found out what to do but they are still there and do their best. Is this also “leeching”? Why do you care? The best loot in GW2 is already quite easy to achieve. Reward those players who play well with decent skins, I’d say.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

It seems to me that with the Wintersday boxes, if someone opened the box and killed the foes inside, if you were within the mini-map radius, the box still was available for you.
Or maybe the loot from the vanquished foes was available. I don’t exactly remember which, but I know I didn’t have to race to the spawn and try to get a hit in to get loot.
Does anyone else remember how it worked? …or am I just old and (more) senile now?

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

The content isn’t difficult enough for this to be a problem. Seriously when the last time you failed at anything in GW2?

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

There are plenty of events that spawn mobs and there are plenty of places where there is a high mob density. I think the only issue is with the holographic mobs. They spawn often but they drop so fast that I can certainly see where people may not get a chance to even cast a skill by the time they go down.

What they could do is set it up as a capture point. You activate the device (the knockdown is utter BS since the mobs can very well die before you have the chance to stand back up), kill the mobs, then stand within a ring for a few seconds to “capture” it. So long as you get within the circle in time to capture, the dead mobs become lootable.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Sorry but no. It would mean players who came late to events or did nothing would be getting loot. Also would make it easy to bot. Increase in amount of loot would mean the loot would be worth less. I make gold by selling ectos since i don’t feel like running CoF till my eyes bleed. It would have negative impact on my income.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

What they should do for such events is rewards the high level players more for being in higher level areas. For instance, a slightly increased chance of chest drop. Encourage them to leave the lower level areas alone.

But give out stuff to people who didn’t even participate in the fight? No, definitely not. I will never agree with such an idea. Not to mention how this would be exploited.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

It seems to me that with the Wintersday boxes, if someone opened the box and killed the foes inside, if you were within the mini-map radius, the box still was available for you.
Or maybe the loot from the vanquished foes was available. I don’t exactly remember which, but I know I didn’t have to race to the spawn and try to get a hit in to get loot.
Does anyone else remember how it worked? …or am I just old and (more) senile now?

If I remember the box was still available for you to trigger if you came too late- or some such thing.
Also the wintersday toys had a considerable bigger health pool and they did a lot of damage.

I don’t think that these dragon holograms are very well thought out- either tweak the hp or make it able to trigger if you come too late- like a skill point if you will.

I don’t like what I’m seeing in the game atm.
I was at two boxes/thingys very near each other -I waited for the others and as I was collecting loot of the first one they quickly got the other one and killed everything and then told me I was too slow- I was right there on my 80 – I could have bombed the whole lot in one shot! Pfft

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

This game ain’t perfect, but this is one thing I feel they did particularly well. If the mobs were harder to kill it would solve the participation problem, but there would be much less solo able content. I’d rather miss the occasional loot because it got killed too quick, than be limited by what I can accomplish alone.

Posted by: dadamowsky.4692

dadamowsky.4692

But why to reinvent a wheel – the solution is already there and all we need is a tweaking. Simply speaking, downscaling should be stronger. Maybe with caps based on the real low level players stats, maybe with tweaking a percentage of scaling.

So why do we need a risky leeching solution?

One thing that could be changed – taging mobs could be done not only with damaging directly but also by resing fallen player (then all he damaged is also taged for a resurecter), AoE healing, buffing and all the activities actually benefiting a group.

(edited by dadamowsky.4692)

Posted by: Mattargul.9235

Mattargul.9235

For the most part I have had good experience with the holos and other players. If they see you running up they usually wait to trigger, or say “tx” if you wait, and most of smart enough to use their basic attack, so they don’t one shot the whole mob with their Hundred Blade zerker build.

That being said, the mobs are way to fragile. If you have more than 3 players at a projector, even with basic attacks, not everyone will get hits in. Typically this will cause the players to disperse, so it doesn’t happen too often.

Dances with Leaves – Guardian – Sanctum of Rall (SoR)

Posted by: Bright.9160

Bright.9160

I don’t know if loot to everyone would be the solution.. That system was in GW1, but then again, everything in GW1 was instanced, so you’d expect people in radar range to help out with the fight.

I don’t like the current model either, but I have the big advantage of being a Euro player on an NA server (for once). I’ll just log in around noon and guest to some obscure server like Ferguson’s Crossing and find myself a map with no one in it. Even if there is a guy running around, since it’s like 5am for them, I’d think they’d get bored to death and just fall asleep in front of their computer if they try to farm the holograms.

Legion of Doom [LOD] – Death ’n Taxes [DnT]
“People wanting content where Berserker sucks should remember that it needs be so hard
that they will cry, not just a river, but a huge ocean.” – Wethospu

Marcus Greythorne.6843

ask yourself one thing: Are you currently happy to see other players? Imagine you are lv.30, are you happy to see other players around you?

Other people shouldn’t be seen as competition, it’s in your interest that you help them becoming stronger. We’re 1 Server. We compete as this server-community against other servers in WvW.

I think that “good” players should be rewarded with nice looking skins. The term “good” isn’t measured by how many enemies you killed or how much damage you did, since it’s all about gear. A lv.20 player can be much better than someone lv.80 spamming only skill 1.

About leechers, people who don’t want to fight but still get loot. Personally I don’t know a lot of people who don’t like to fight. Let’s say there are a lot of them… I honestly don’t know a solution about that dilemma yet. Maybe you could help me find it.

Posted by: Oofta.8036

Oofta.8036

It sounds like a, “Everyone gets a trophy” concept. I believe that if you are there you should participate. “yeah he’s on our team, against the dragons. Do you remember”? I remember that they own a weapon but didn’t use it.

I understand the thought that it should be “Us” vs “Them” and not “Us” vs “Us”. I guess it comes down to your initial statement about those who do more damage get more reward. I’m not aware what was brought in with the Dragon Bash so forgive my ingnorance on that. I always thought that the loot was RNG and based on if you particpated or not. (I could very well be wrong on that) If it is true that you get more loot for the more damage you then I agree that is a problem and should be fixed. If it isn’t then it should remain as is.

(Just my opinion that is based on lack of facts and gut feelings.)

Marcus Greythorne.6843

one thing that comes to my mind: the Karma-system. This system could reward good players (not necessarily the ones who do most damage). They could redesign the Medal System and change the Karma-rewards to skin-only rewards.

Drops would only have normal skins – but you could buy Karma-Crates with Karma for a GOOD chance of good looking skins.

Let me think of it…

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I am not a fan of the idea, as it will encourage people to akitten around dynamic events to farm materials.

These creatures do die fast, so I can see how it may be hard to tag them; however, I do not think you need to do a lot of damage to get the full loot.

Which profession are you playing? Perhaps I can suggest a skill for mass tagging.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

One of the core-philosophies of this game is the cooperative aspect. You should be happy to see other players.

GW2 has done a great deal to go in the right direction, but there are still problems. Dragon Bash introduced an activity where it get’s very visual: You compete against other players to do enough damage on a mob in order to get it’s loot. While this is imho a big problem in this holiday-event it can also be a problem in the core of the game.

Lv.80 players who visist low level zones are very powerful. Despite backscaling they can do enormous damage to mobs and if there are 2 or more such players it’s difficult to get the participation next to them.

Now we have mining-nodes where every player can get his fair share. Why not take this concept and evolve it to battles? A solution would be to make corpses lootable by everyone around. If you come by too late you can still get your share. You won’t get the xp for killing the mob but you still get loot.

Wait a minute. Did I just say: I get loot when haven’t even participated in the battle? Yes I did. But… how is it rewarding to kill a mob then? Well, you get your loot anyway. Isn’t this BS, he just watched and did nothing… and still gets loot? Yeah, he’s in our team against the dragons, do you remember?

What do you think? Could you live with such a system? Do you think others just don’t earn their loot if they haven’t enough AOE-power with them?

It’s the core problem with their rewards system when it comes to loot atm. All participation is solely measured in events and when multiple players tag a mob via DPS so basically all condition builds and all healers are out when it comes to getting the best loot in the game or getting the best rewards in the events.

I’m hoping that while they are working on rewards they include things like the measure of how much healing was done as well as the number of rezs while fighting etc in these events because it would go a long way to improving the overall game when they do release the revised rewards system.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I am not a fan of the idea, as it will encourage people to akitten around dynamic events to farm materials.

These creatures do die fast, so I can see how it may be hard to tag them; however, I do not think you need to do a lot of damage to get the full loot.

Which profession are you playing? Perhaps I can suggest a skill for mass tagging.

It really doesn’t matter which profession I’m playing (Mesmer, Ranger, Elementalist, Guardian) since those heavy-hitters (not one alone, 2- a group of them) kills everything alive in an instant.

Posted by: Hoyvin.3241

Hoyvin.3241

Or see a little dragon icon on the map and have it gone halfway before you get there. Generally, people are ok, I’ve have people wait for me and I’ve done the same, but there are still kittenbags out there.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

What I think would have been nice to alleviate the problem of the holograms coming and going so quickly would be to make them spawn at the completion of events around the world… This gets people to participate in events and gives people time to get to where the event is before one-shotting all of the holograms… or something like that… You could perhaps even make the holograms themselves be an event that spawned stuff out of them in waves that takes a minute at least so people have a chance to get there before it’s over.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Individualized presents spawned alongside the mobs, but would only stay a certain time. Because of the damage output of some of the mobs, people would often pop the big present, grab the spawned presents and head for safety rather than attempt a fight.

Posted by: ASaturnus.4980

ASaturnus.4980

Well as I understood it (Colin explained the system a while ago) players only count as participating (and make the event scale) when they do a minimum damage to the event-mobs. This means: the event scales only for the number of people who actually fight.

Maybe it was intended that way, but inactive people do scale up events.

Posted by: Meluna.1764

Meluna.1764

Hm, you make a few good points. i agree with you in many aspects. I love how much focus is set on cooperation and how you are rewarded. People waiting for others at the nodes (and thereby actively working against the node stealing design) are the living proof that the basics that the game has taught us are really working. It is so refreshing to see people helping each other and yes, you are completely right, this needs to go much further.
Your proposal…. I kind of like it. as long as the mass of leechers stays under a critical value (there are always leechers), it could really add another positive flavor. The question is just how to limit it correctly. Have the corpses there only for a short time before they disappear, have loot sharing only within the group.
The most important thing is, and that has been noted before several times, that damage as single participating criteria needs to leave. Collaboration needs to be rewarded. Here are my thoughts:
- healing and rezzing need to count as participation! It’s such a wonderful gaming mechanism, this needs to be rewarded more.
- getting aggro for a specific time needs to be rewarded. Some people have amazing kiting skills that make certain fights much easier. Even if they did 0 damage, the kiter is a central point that protects his fellow players and they need to be acknowledged as parts of the fight.

As stated I should be really happy to see other people. This game has made great steps in that direction, don’t be afraid to walk further. =)

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I honestly could care less if someone leeches off of my kills, that’s just me though.

But Aney could add a system like SWTOR added. Healers were greatly being left out because they were healing and not DPS’ing and were not getting credit for kills in PvP/PvE….so they added a feature that if a “DPS’er” was being healed by the “Healer” while said “DPS’er” killed a enemy they both got credit.

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

I dont see the problem with being too slow and missing loot. Surely you can make the money back if you hit 1 holo after. Part of the game is yes, losing. Everything shouldn’t be free loot. This would skew the economy. Part of the gold sinks are that people will WP, and fail to get anything.

Jemmi.6058

It really doesn’t matter which profession I’m playing (Mesmer, Ranger, Elementalist, Guardian) since those heavy-hitters (not one alone, 2- a group of them) kills everything alive in an instant.

Recommend you play Ele and throw down lava font to tag, probably the easiest and fastest way to tag a bunch of mobs.

It might be my server or time of play, but i was on for hours yesterday and did not have any problems. In fact, I solo’d most of the hologram things that I found.

Posted by: Rama.6439

Rama.6439

I’m not a fan of this idea either, I farm a lot in-game, but what I farm I kill, and at a lot of dynamic events I spend my time killing adds on the side, and what a lot of people don’t realize is that they are also part of the event, killing these adds gives you credit for the event because these adds are attacking people while they are doing the event so why not “farm” them.

But back to topic, I think that you should just group together with other people to get what you’re after, if you’re looking for handouts then try the local salvation army or something, cause what you are asking will just get a lot of people exploiting it. It’s a very bad idea.

Arcubus Balefire – 80 Guardian
Välkyri – 80 Warrior
JQ[Lulz] – Kill fur Thrillz…

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

this is a terrible idea, why on earth would a player be entitled to loot for doing nothing. I can’t believe this is even a topic. This would lead to akitten players everywhere, no one would help anyone, they’d just roll up and loot bodies then move on. So what if you didn’t get a hit on the mob, thats life, move on. If you don’t put in the effort or time or risk to kill the enemies then you shouldn’t receive any loot of any kind. Actually i retract that let them loot the bodies but it gives them coal, that can’t be destroyed and costs 10 silver to remove from your bag or bank.

On to the dragon bash issue, i do think that it sucks thakittens a race to the holo projector thing. They should have the cool down of the activation of the holos very short, but have the loot drop cool down like it is now. So you run up and activate it and kill all the mobs and get all the drop. Once you leave another player runs up 2-3 seconds after and activates it. For you on the map it shows no icon but you can still kill the mobs for xp, but none of the mobs drop anything. Once that loot drop cool down expires the icon shows back up on the map and you can go do it again. This would prevent the crazy competition there is for them right now.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: Mastruq.2463

Mastruq.2463

Eh, sounds like alot of work-arounds that could just be fixed by proper level scaling.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

For the most part I have had good experience with the holos and other players. If they see you running up they usually wait to trigger, or say “tx” if you wait, and most of smart enough to use their basic attack, so they don’t one shot the whole mob with their Hundred Blade zerker build.

That being said, the mobs are way to fragile. If you have more than 3 players at a projector, even with basic attacks, not everyone will get hits in. Typically this will cause the players to disperse, so it doesn’t happen too often.

You don’t need hundred blades for that to happen.
I use 10/10/20/30/0 while using magic find armor, magic find runes and magic find trinkets. While fighting them in frostgorge they still die very quickly.

As for the issue of leeching … just step away from the event area for a bit and let the mobs fix that issue for you.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: JJBigs.8456

JJBigs.8456

Recommend you play Ele and throw down lava font to tag, probably the easiest and fastest way to tag a bunch of mobs.

It might be my server or time of play, but i was on for hours yesterday and did not have any problems. In fact, I solo’d most of the hologram things that I found.

Actually a warrior would be. GS-1h/Warhorn. Thats perma swiftness with the two GS rushes and the leap on 1h. If I run this in WvW no one has caught up to me and been able to kill me yet. There is more mobility on warrior then ele imo and since the holo’s are about “Getting there fast and quickly”. If its about aoe then you could just use axe #6 since it has no AOE cap limit, while lava font i believe is capped at 3? Just because eles have aoe doesnt mean they are better at tagging. melee weapons cleave which is in essence an AOE Melee Strike. We have to be closer but if you really have to be ranged, which i never have to do cuz im there and leap in with sword, then by all means use Longbow #3 or heal beforehand for full adrenaline and fire field f1.

How is lava font better than a necro well or engi nade? These mob so low HP i seriously doubt you need the damage of a ele lava font (lava font > nade > well) to tag.

Jemmi.6058

Actually a warrior would be. GS-1h/Warhorn. Thats perma swiftness with the two GS rushes and the leap on 1h. If I run this in WvW no one has caught up to me and been able to kill me yet. There is more mobility on warrior then ele imo and since the holo’s are about “Getting there fast and quickly”. If its about aoe then you could just use axe #6 since it has no AOE cap limit, while lava font i believe is capped at 3? Just because eles have aoe doesnt mean they are better at tagging. melee weapons cleave which is in essence an AOE Melee Strike. We have to be closer but if you really have to be ranged, which i never have to do cuz im there and leap in with sword, then by all means use Longbow #3 or heal beforehand for full adrenaline and fire field f1.

How is lava font better than a necro well or engi nade? These mob so low HP i seriously doubt you need the damage of a ele lava font (lava font > nade > well) to tag.

Perhaps I have not mastered warrior, but I find that Ele’s are much more mobile. As an Ele you can have perma-swiftness. If you go D/D RTL is quite fast as well.

I have never used a necro or engi so I do not know them; however, my brief experience with engi nade is that it is slow in terms of waiting for the grenade to land. Lava font is instantly placed on the ground from up to 900 range away and will instantly hit anything in the AOE circle. There is no cast time and no travel time of the spell. You do not need to be at the location (900 range) unlike a warrior.

I believe the Lava Font caps at 5. AFAIK all AoE caps at 5, and many melee attacks cap at 3.

Longbow has the wait-time on arrows moving.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

I’d love to sees a different mechanic (which would kitten people off even more). I’d love to see a guy jump in, kill everything really fast, and get NO reward, because the game was able to tell he was a selfish kitten.

That’s what I’d like to see.

If that happened more often, people wouldn’t act the way they do.

I don’t like your freakin tone.. When I jump in it is to help.. I can’t help if she kills them with a few hits.. I think for now on when I see others need help I’ll just walk on by and let you have it.. I refuse to help another kitten person. Hell with this community. Im done.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Eladriel.7295

Sorry, but I just don’t stand around and watch others do all the work. There is enough of that crap with the fire ele in Metric Province. I kill something then I get loot. That is my payment, although they don’t always drop anything but ole well.

Eladriel.7295

They were still available for a while, but only for a x amount of time. I had picked up a few after the mob was killed cause i had gotten there too late to help.

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

i could live with this system, if the body’s were only visible for a much shorter amount of time than usual.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

Posted by: fixit.7189

fixit.7189

I play an ele. At worst, a bunker power/healin/toughness staff ele. Even worse is I prefer to play solo.

So subsequently I have an extremely difficult time tagging mobs if there is more than just me in the area.

All my dmg has a long time to actually happen so usually even before my fireball and or lava pool even ticks: stuff is dead. It’s even more annoying with these new events which one auto attack from a melee camper nukes it all down.

Only way I can ‘farm’ is to get up at 4 in the morning and hopefully find one these nodes that is not camped by warriors/guardians/insert classes with instantaneous AoE dmg attacks as they auto swing to loots galore.

Also it takes on average THREE fireballs for me to tag stuff to get loots/exp. Under assumption the dmg needed to tag is roughly 1500 dmg on a regular mob and even more on elite+.

I don’t want to leech but I also like to have the actual ability to tag a mob.

Not sure if this is just a problem with the tagging system or my preferred build is a total waste of time.

Posted by: AlietteFaye.7316

AlietteFaye.7316

This with the combination of the upcoming automatic AoE looting would be incredibly bad. I like the idea, but it wouldn’t work out, either. They just need to work on their scaling of mob HP with DE’s and such.

twitch.tv/aliettefaye

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

The hologram farm fest was a terrible idea.

8 min cool down on the node. So you basically can’t even make it from one to the next without someone blowing it up within 3 seconds of mobs spawning.

I run a lol ranger and even I can aoe the mobs to oblivion in seconds. Which basically meant the best thing to do is to play alone and hope no one is on the map, or you have to sit there and camp the node. I came to that realization after watching for 8 mins for a node to respawn and then just logged off.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I took my engineer off the shelf today just for all this fast massive killing going on. Not just holos but farming for dragon coffers where there are a lot of mobs in close areas. People fly in and slaughter them so fast. Flamethrower, problem solved. Not much range but one blast and a strafe and I tag everything in reach and watch them burn. Anything left alive gets straffed/blasted again.

Oh and a p/p thief with 20% chance AOE fire on crit does this pretty well also but with longer reach. Let lose with the unload skill and watch the fireballs light them up.

Tag, you’re it.

The Burninator

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

It has been a tad annoying to have people pop the holo’s even as others were running up, then 100 blades things down. I’ve been using Dagger Storm but only when people are gathered and have a chance to drop their aoe’s, as otherwise I end up getting maybe 1 candy. I still do wait a bit to see if anyone else is coming before I trigger.

Yet I’ve noticed that I get more coffers and candy when I am the one that triggered the holo and when it’s me and maybe one other person. Get a group in there and the rewards drop notably. As the OP said, that’s counter to this game’s philosophy.

I would be much happier to know that others running up will get as much as I do, so I can let loose.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I thought a selling point of Guildwars 2 was that no one fights over loot, everyone has their select instance of loot drops…

This dragon bash has proved this wrong, with holograms become a “who can hit it first and get the loot” which is totally against the principles of Guildwars 2, and is exactly the same as generic mmos…

I miss them regularly on a lv 80 character i’d hate to see whakittens like in starter zones, and people think this is a good idea…lets split the community even further and anger them, great job…

Marcus Greythorne.6843

Guys, It’s nice of you that you’re trying to help, but you see the wrong problem. I could easily burst down the mobs, that’s not the problem. The problem is: people who do this (I don’t, I use autoattack 1 staff without my might-buffs) can grief other players that way. Other players who either don’t know how to burst or who are low-level.

It’s not all about Dragon Bash but it’s about every single meeting of 2 players with different preconditions. DB was just an example.

The thing is: mmos have trained you to think that you alone should be able to loot your kill. The result: battles are all about tagging as much enemies as possible instead of just… fighting. Players with better aoe-skills have no problems to tag tons of mobs in a second while players who use single-target builds have to take what’s left. They can’t focus on a single strong mob, because in the meantime the others tag via. aoe all the trash nearby.

Don’t you see this? Battles are all about tagging more than the other players around, so you’ll never be happy to have them around; except you don’t care about loot.

Marcus Greythorne.6843

I would be much happier to know that others running up will get as much as I do, so I can let loose.

well said, I feel the same.

Posted by: Linosaurus.1905

Linosaurus.1905

I don’t know if loot to everyone would be the solution.. That system was in GW1, but then again, everything in GW1 was instanced, so you’d expect people in radar range to help out with the fight.

It annoys me that the tagging system is used in GW2 dungeons / fractals. Even in a group you have to hit an enemy once to have a chance to get loot from it.

As for open world, OPs suggestion seems bad and would reward unhelpful behaviour too much. But perhaps the amount of damage needed to tag a foe should be lower.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I don’t think there is any need for drastic changes here. The mobs are a tad weak and don’t last long enough for some players to tag them. I’m always hesitant to ask for buffs to mobs, fearing that they will overdo it and we’ll get epic boss-level fights, but here it’s warranted. Just buff the mobs a tad. You’ll still need to get there before the fight is over (it’s like a mini-DE afterall) but it will remove the pain associated with seeing the fight start and not being able to tag a mob before it’s over.

(edited by Raine.1394)