I'm scared for the 30th patch

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Deified.7520

Deified.7520

So I’ve been reading about the stuff on the patch and for me and people I know this patch will be one main thing

The conclusion to the living story.

Now from recent developer posts I fear that this patch is going to have a huge negative backlash, here is why

1. sPvP additions, mainly spectator mode and custom arenas. For starts this is supposed to be the beta for these two things. Which is cool, but I believe these two things will be added, forgotten about in 2 weeks and people will go back to not playing sPvP for the same reasons…balance, game modes, and no accomplishments. So we’ll see how the spvp community will react to it, but I honestly think that they don’t really care enough. The custom arenas do open options for player based turnys, but well see how that plays out.

2. The living story. I have hardly heard any positive comments about this whole thing, and I can see why people complain. I’m really into lore, ask anyone I play with and I just love lore in games and the stories. The problem with the living story (L.S) is that it doesn’t have a rich background lore, it hasn’t really gotten players attached to anything. Most of my friends just view it as another tedious and meaningless task to get some extra karma items, “pointless in nature”. Now with the conclusion of this coming up, it was said there was a new dungeon! My guild was very happy because they were thinking new content. Guess what? It is only temporary. I am personally, along with my guild, not too happy about this. We need new endgame content, something to keep players playing. We don’t need a temporary story with only temporary content, this will do nothing for the game and be forgotten about in a month.

3. WvW guild changes. It is cool to see these “banners” on your back and the guild siege. My only problem is that the guild banners kind of look really small and lame. That is just my opinion, but I’m sure the WvW community will be happy about these changes. I do fear for the game still though. I use to have around 10 WvWers who did WvW a lot. They all have quit playing the game in the matter of 2 months. It is very sad thing to see. When I do see them outside of the game, they talk about the game is just starting to feel boring, and doing the “same old thing”.

4. The new dungeon rewards. Now it is called “Molten Weapons Faculties” and some people I play with are theorizing the new rewards from the temporary dungeon will be the fused weapons. This doesn’t really make too many guildies happy who spent a lot of money on trying to get the skins, though we are waiting to see if it turns out to be true or not.

5. This genre, the MMO genre, is not forgiving. Games fail more and more often and even more are being released. We got a lot of major MMOs coming out, and I pray that this game wont die. I do not want it to die, because I enjoy playing most of it. It is true I’m starting to feel very bored while playing it ankittenrying to get creative with social events and open world stuff to keep my interest. I just feel like you guys, anet and NCsoft, are focusing on the wrong things. The team that was working on the living story content should really be working on new endgame PvE things. We don’t need temporary things, especially when they end there is nothing that was accomplished permanently and it will just be forgotten, like a holiday.

Posted by: wedo.3049

wedo.3049

i still don’t understand why the separate game from spvp/ and everything else. spvp is fun but in small batches. I wish I was able to bring my legendary, or just que or and hope in with my toon. there are so many builds that ONLY work in spvp and not in wvw, pve, or random dueling in open world. why cant you just bring your main into spvp? this would attract a lot of other players to just want to casually fight and not deal with zergs etc.

wedo.3049

guild wars should just be called tank wars with the way ppl stack stats

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

i still don’t understand why the separate game from spvp/ and everything else. spvp is fun but in small batches. I wish I was able to bring my legendary, or just que or and hope in with my toon. there are so many builds that ONLY work in spvp and not in wvw, pve, or random dueling in open world. why cant you just bring your main into spvp? this would attract a lot of other players to just want to casually fight and not deal with zergs etc.

Because they are turning it into an eSport man, didn’t you know? (lol)

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Shootsfoot.9276

Shootsfoot.9276

The team that was working on the living story content should really be working on new endgame PvE things. We don’t need temporary things, especially when they end there is nothing that was accomplished permanently and it will just be forgotten, like a holiday.

The living story content IS the endgame PvE.

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

The team that was working on the living story content should really be working on new endgame PvE things. We don’t need temporary things, especially when they end there is nothing that was accomplished permanently and it will just be forgotten, like a holiday.

Adding a bunch of extra gear skins, a bunch of new DEs, a new dungeon, and new achievements and still people are complaining about a lack of “endgame?”

Posted by: MasterGeese.4756

MasterGeese.4756

1. At least Arenanet is putting effort into sPvP at all. At worst, it’s something that nobody will be forced to do. I think this is something the sPvP scene desperately needed, and the fact that it won’t interfere with any other aspect of the game is merely a bonus.

2. Arenanet doesn’t have to keep people playing. That’s the magic of the $60 one-time fee. You can come back anytime you want to without feeling out-of-place or behind the times. I do agree that the living story did come a bit out of nowhere. I mean we never saw the flame legion/dredge working together at all before this event. And lore-wise, the story is moving extremely slowly. We’ve been on the whole “The molten alliance is causing trouble in the world” stage for months now, and people are in fact, getting tired of it and wanting to do something about it for good.

3. Well they could try doing something else in the game… There’s more to the game than WvW.

4. It’s only speculation.

5. Endgame content is temporary too. Ever heard of the gear treadmill? Endgame content only lasts until there is new endgame content to do. For that matter, what’s wrong with holidays? No, they don’t last forever, but nothing does. They are a special occasion that creates memories, just like the living story is supposed to be. Though admittedly it’s not doing the best job of that at the moment.

Deified.7520

Adding a bunch of extra gear skins, a bunch of new DEs, a new dungeon, and new achievements and still people are complaining about a lack of “endgame?”

But you see, the developer said its temporary. From what little information the extra gear skins aside form the fused and the dungeon are only temporary. Once may its end will go away. The new DEs aren’t really ground breaking. Defending a point from enemies that spawn from portals. Achievements are cool, but they are a really bad crutch for a game to latch on to.

Endgame should be something that you can do more than once, involves the player, keeps them invested, and is fun. While the LS is fun, most completed the steps within a day.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Except that half of those new gear skins (so far fused weapons, in addition to Halloween/Lost Shore ones) are gotten from RNG/gambling chests, which you have to pay real money (if you’re poor ingame, which I assume the most is) or trade gold for gems and still have to gamble for them.
As to the lack of “endgame”, IMO endgame isn’t something thats temporary, its something that stays around and can be done now, later, whenever. Not only in a given time frame (determined by the company). How is this going to be endgame content for future players?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Shootsfoot.9276

ArenaNet dug their own grave when they turned their backs on much of the GW1 community.

Back to that song, eh? ;-P

Shootsfoot.9276

But you see, the developer said its temporary. From what little information the extra gear skins aside form the fused and the dungeon are only temporary. Once may its end will go away. The new DEs aren’t really ground breaking. Defending a point from enemies that spawn from portals. Achievements are cool, but they are a really bad crutch for a game to latch on to.

Endgame should be something that you can do more than once, involves the player, keeps them invested, and is fun. While the LS is fun, most completed the steps within a day.

You realize the living story continues on after this one concludes, right?

Aeonblade.8709

Cool. We’ll be temporarily repairing signs in the Tarnished Coast next time guys! It’s cool! There is another living story coming out for all your end game needs!

Sigh.

Posted by: Rhinala.1739

Rhinala.1739

I cant understand how a temp dungeon and few events that last about and hour can be considered endgame. by the way in understand that you ware sarcastic PinCushion.
As the op said there are so many new MMO’s about to be released this year, those MMO’s will use part of the basic ideas from GW2 (as expected) while GW2 take the grind path. I hope that Anet will come to their senses and return to their original path and leave the new grind fiesta plans. I lost confidence with Anet, confidence that i had for more then 5 years while playing GW1.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

This. The main reason i will never get into spvp. Anet, i do not want to use your stupid preset Amulets… i want to use my pve accessories (ascended level items may be downgraded to exotic, i don’t care) and be able to equip all of them, not just a kittening amulet.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Stun and daze is the name of the game its all about stopping the heal. If you just spam the tank will win every day and if you can only spam you play as a tank.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: PinCushion.7390

PinCushion.7390

As to the lack of “endgame”, IMO endgame isn’t something thats temporary, its something that stays around and can be done now, later, whenever. Not only in a given time frame (determined by the company). How is this going to be endgame content for future players?

Oh, that endgame. That’s Fractals. I have problems with how they were implemented, but that is the current PvE Endgame. Whether or not Fractals are a good implementation of Endgame PvE is a different discussion altogether.

That said, I’m never going to outright complain about a company giving me more content basically for free (BL Chest gambling aside, as I never do that).

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

ArenaNet dug their own grave when they turned their backs on much of the GW1 community.

It is a classic.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Shootsfoot.9276

Cool. We’ll be temporarily repairing signs in the Tarnished Coast next time guys! It’s cool! There is another living story coming out for all your end game needs!

Sigh.

Hooray for hyperbole!

wedo.3049

this game COULD have been an esport but its failed the 30 ppl that play spvp gonna love the custom arenas and spec mode. Problem is for a mmo to be popular and for a company to make money you have to appeal the PVERS first then the pvpers, BUT with this game being GUILD WARS, youd think they would have made it more toward the pvp. Either wvw or Spvp. Just should have made it a minigame que, you que up or go to HoM and play from there.

Aeonblade.8709

Sigh.

Hooray for hyperbole!

Hooray for the defense of poorly conceived temporary events/ game design!

Posted by: Rhinala.1739

Rhinala.1739

End game content should be played for fun in my opinion, not as a treadmill.

Shootsfoot.9276

Sigh.

Hooray for hyperbole!

Hooray for the defense of poorly conceived temporary events/ game design!

Hooray for not knowing what well-designed content is.

See what I did there?

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

you mean people make builds in which they survive your attempts at DPS and you rage? Maybe you should re-spec your own toon for Spvp then?

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Oh, that endgame. That’s Fractals. I have problems with how they were implemented, but that is the current PvE Endgame. Whether or not Fractals are a good implementation of Endgame PvE is a different discussion altogether.

That said, I’m never going to outright complain about a company giving me more content basically for free (BL Chest gambling aside, as I never do that).

I’m not complaining about them giving us more free content, thats a good thing, but all of it keeps being temporary (except lost shores stuff (which hardly anyone goes to SSC anymore), which includes Fractals. Guild missions as well), for PvE anyways. Holiday stuff has to be temporary, since it has to coincide with the holiday, which does have a fixed time span.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

you mean people make builds in which they survive your attempts at DPS and you rage? Maybe you should re-spec your own toon for Spvp then?

So you’re saying that, despite the game not being properly balanced yet, everyone should just play the same brainless tank builds rather than strive to make suggestions in line with making the game more diverse and interesting? :|

Posted by: clay.7849

clay.7849

It’s a catchy tune that some people can relate to.

Mirta.5029

So you’re saying that, despite the game not being properly balanced yet, everyone should just play the same brainless tank builds rather than strive to make suggestions in line with making the game more diverse and interesting? :|

I’m saying that there’s various builds for DPS and in order to be successful a) you have to find one that works for you b) you have to utilize your control abilities well (like let’s say immobilize). A player is not a brainless mob, therefore everyone selects a direction and attempts to master their build. The build that one would use for CoF might end up completely useless, because once again it’s not AI you’re playing against.

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

…but its failed the 30 ppl that play spvp …

Last count, there were only 29.

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Personally, WvW is on the upswing.

Removing culling was the single biggest change since the launch of the game, and revitalized WvW. There is still a lot of work to do, but the foundation is solid now.

(It just remains to be seen if Anet commits the resources needed).

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

The big problem is the player base they need content like a fish needs water or they will just simply move to something else. Even GW1 was like this ppl would stop playing for very long bits of time once they did every thing to be done and they would do every thing in a week. Its an overindulging problem that is with ppl from this gen more then just gaming. We are not even going to live as long as the last gen because of this problem yet we as a collective are not trying to fix it more on the lines hoping it will just go away or be fixed with a drug.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Deified.7520

The big problem is the player base they need content like a fish needs water or they will just simply move to something else. Even GW1 was like this ppl would stop playing for very long bits of time once they did every thing to be done and they would do every thing in a week. Its an overindulging problem that is with ppl from this gen more then just gaming. We are not even going to live as long as the last gen because of this problem yet we as a collective are not trying to fix it more on the lines hoping it will just go away or be fixed with a drug.

I agree with you all the way. For playerbases to survive now a days they need a constant stream of good content or content that is highly competitive (such as in games like LoL). Sadly this game hasn’t really been doing anything. The biggest thing that was released in terms of content since release was Fractals. There is little to no competitveness feeling in the game right now. I loved Gw1 PvP and it did take a while to perfect, but I figured a sequel will look back on the things they did in the first and bring them over. Now every month I’m seeing players who I use to play with a lot just stop playing and do other things. I’m seeing people who use to stream a lot just stop or stream other games.

The problem is is that developers need to adapt. They’re still treating the community (not just anet, but a lot of recent developers) like the old days. They often release games that aren’t finished and just plan on adding in more content a year after release. This was the same story with Secret World, APB, etc. They all can be considered failures in their original design and went f2p. Gw2 is a good game, don’t get me wrong. I got my 60$ out of it, and I’m sure they made quite the profit. In my eyes a MMO is successful when it is able to stay alive and very populated. Last thing I want is to see this game die out. There is no strong PvP community to support this game when the PvErs leave like there was in Gw1. There is no hardcore mode, no AB, no halls of heroes, etc.

wedo.3049

LOL I love how you assume I must be brainless and raged at my own dps and should respect my own spvp toon, no I hate how everyone runs the same tank build. there are really no difference in spvp build stack toughness be a tank and go
there is no versatility in spvp or the builds that you play in spvp

(edited by wedo.3049)

Mirta.5029

LOL I love how you assume I must be brainless and raged at my own dps and should respect my own spvp toon, no I hate how everyone runs the same tank build. there are really no difference in spvp build stack toughness be a tank and go
there is no versatility in spvp or the builds that you play in spvp

really? That must be why everyone from my guild that I know of run different builds.
Damage based hammer guardian is fun
Condition based thief is fun
Condition based mesmer is winrar
I have never seen anyone say “toughness is auto win so I’ll stack toughness”. Builds in Spvp are very varied. IT’s a good place to make your own builds and see how much kills you can score with it.

wedo.3049

these builds ONLY work in spvp, I was making generalities about spvp well you and other 30 ppl enjoy spvp run your pro group and enjoy that esports

Posted by: Bryanvdkimme.5086

Bryanvdkimme.5086

eum, there wasnt any statement that the dungeon will be temporary, its part of the living story and thatone is also permanent

Deified.7520

eum, there wasnt any statement that the dungeon will be temporary, its part of the living story and thatone is also permanent

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/livingworld/lwd/Molten-Weapon-Facilities-temporary/first#post1900697

Posted by: Bryanvdkimme.5086

Bryanvdkimme.5086

well thats suck and kitten #8230; all temporasry content

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

I really liked this game, but the constant nerfs every month just discourages me to play more and more

Posted by: Decked.8274

Decked.8274

4. The new dungeon rewards. Now it is called “Molten Weapons Faculties” and some people I play with are theorizing the new rewards from the temporary dungeon will be the fused weapons.

Am I the only who wants this?

Posted by: George Steel.1804

George Steel.1804

Oh jeez, I really hope this isn’t the idea. I haven’t yet and don’t plan on taking ANY part of the stupid living story that has been implemented thus far.

Platinum – Guardian
Technical Strength – Engineer
Dungeon Master – FotM 46

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I like temporary content to some degree. Like the Karka event (while lagging like hell) it’s something I can look back at and say “I was there, this happend, and this happend, we got pancaked by the Karkas” and tell it to new friends you will meet in the future (wether you like it or not, Guild Wars 2 will gain new players.)

Temporary content feels unique.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

The team that was working on the living story content should really be working on new endgame PvE things.

Except that half of those new gear skins (so far fused weapons, in addition to Halloween/Lost Shore ones)

So a bunch of people in your guild being panicked that the new skins -might- be fused weapons has suddenly become -they will be fused weapons-?

Paranoia != fact.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It’s a catchy tune that some people can relate to.

I must like a different genre of music than you do. To me, that song is not only over-played, but a fad that will soon be forgotten. lol

Sil.4560

I’m saying that there’s various builds for DPS and in order to be successful a) you have to find one that works for you b) you have to utilize your control abilities well (like let’s say immobilize). A player is not a brainless mob, therefore everyone selects a direction and attempts to master their build. The build that one would use for CoF might end up completely useless, because once again it’s not AI you’re playing against.

Oh, I completely agree with that. But I also thinks this patch will be moving in a good direction because this game has a balance problem in favor of bunkers.

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

From how I understand about the ele nerfs, mist form no longer allows you to use any skills at all… That is a big hit to eles in all forms of play. In pve, mist form+ether renewal was a safe retreat when you had a lot of conditions stacked on to you and one or two enemies targeting you. I would imagine a similar scenario for pvp/wvw.

Mirta.5029

Oh, I completely agree with that. But I also thinks this patch will be moving in a good direction because this game has a balance problem in favor of bunkers.

so you think that it’s good that engineers and mesmers are getting a major nerf that has nothing to do with a bunker build?

Sil.4560

Honestly as a warrior I can’t feel much sympathy for mesmers. We all know they’re a ridiculously strong class against other players simply because of how the class functions. Engineers, yes and no. I like the no utilities during Elixir S thing along with the same for Ele’s Mist Form. We’ll just have to wait and see. I think people are blowing this out of proportion.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

More ascended gear for PvE and WvW maybe? Level increase?

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Honestly as a warrior I can’t feel much sympathy for mesmers. We all know they’re a ridiculously strong class against other players simply because of how the class functions. Engineers, yes and no. I like the no utilities during Elixir S thing along with the same for Ele’s Mist Form. We’ll just have to wait and see. I think people are blowing this out of proportion.

They need to seperate their PvP and PvE nerfs big time. In PvE, warriors are obsenely overpowered to the point that most groups on lfg are looking for 4-5 warrior groups. Meanwhile, Engis are so terrible that people will flat turn them away.

They need to get this crap under control.

Sil.4560

Yeah, I’d be fine with dividing things. WvW is my PvP though, so I’m mostly looking at how this will influence me there.