I miss actually playing a healer role...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I don’t miss the healer role at all and I played a monk in GW1. This is a lot better system, period.

This.

If you miss spamming healz OP nothing prevents you from playing another game that has healers.
Why don’t you just do that?

Posted by: Alipius.4783

Alipius.4783

I don’t miss the healer role at all and I played a monk in GW1. This is a lot better system, period.

This.

If you miss spamming healz OP nothing prevents you from playing another game that has healers.
Why don’t you just do that?

Second post I read from you in 5 minutes, same trolling cO
If you think heal in Gw1=spam, I don’t know how you were playing ; well, given that you consider Gw2 “hard” could explain some things too.

There is one good thing about gw2. I play gw1 again.

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

In GW1 my monk was initially healing spec and I was all over that (I even joined groups for free when people were charging to join). After a while I went into a boon/prot build that was pretty awesome (and I loved bonding Kurzick FA…even though I was Luxon).
On my guardian I’ve gone with a support/control build that’s worked pretty well in dungeons and fractals and it feels like healing to me (meaning there’s several times when I keep people from dying).
The only difference is that you can’t ‘only’ heal (well you can but you’d be all-but-deadweight). The one thing I liked about TOR was the fact that healing FPs and Ops in that game was so easy (on my sorc) that I could dps most of the time in between heals). You are a healer who’s allowed to dps. Embrace it.

Posted by: Ithir Darkleaf.7923

Ithir Darkleaf.7923

I think that, and the end of the day, the real problem is that the game is not very challenging. You don’t miss the healer role per se, you miss those Infuse Health or Aegis casted at the right time to save your teammates of a certain death. So, in other words, you miss the fast reaction challenge of the game, which in GW2 is reduced to dodge at the right time only.

~ The light of a new day

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

You’re talking about redesigning the entire game from the ground up just to play a healer. In all honesty, it just wouldn’t fit no matter what you do.

GW2 is designed as a visual distinction on enemy behavior. You have to actually watch the screen and pay attention to what is going on to know what is coming or what to move from. There is no cast bar or DBM telling you what to do. There is no message on your screen saying so and so is going to cast this spell.

The reason why healing doesn’t work with this, is cause playing a healing only class is a game of “play the bars”. You are no longer watching the screen for animations to see what is being done. Instead you are simply watching bars go up and down as you heal. Which goes against everything that GW2 does with combat.

And since there is no tanks to hold aggro off the healer, and you are busy watching bars go up and down instead of focusing on the fight, you are going to die a lot. GW2 is designed for equal contribution between all players. Playing a healer only goes against that as well. You would be gimping your team cause the only thing you are contributing is heals, leaving the rest of the team to do all the damage and aggro control, trying to keep everything off you, while you stare at bars the whole time.

It just doesn’t fit. Plain and simple. There is many other games to get your healer fix from.

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

Healer do exist in the game, but some people believe healer is not exist because they want 1 way healing, that they are the only role that able to heal, and a party will not survive without them.

GW2 works differently, heals is 2 way road, if a player is dying, he won’t survive with his self heal alone, he need to move away from harm and get more heal from allies, same thing, a healer won’t save someone if the target don’t avoid damage taken, don’t self heal….

Yes, it is so sample in GW2, you are able to play as healer, but you will not as necessary as trinity healer because the healing system is made so, and it is intended.

Posted by: beren.6048

beren.6048

Let me disagree. In most games the healer targets the person in need of healing and press his skill. In Tera the priest needs to ground target the person in need of healing just like ground target skills in GW2. People are running and jumping around and ground target based healing is much more difficult because of it. So very often people see a circle and jump out of it. Ofc a good player sees the difference between a healing circle and a damage circle quickly. But the healer will still take the blame, as always. Not enough players want to play this essential class as an consequence. Good healers get still so much cursing that they reroll etc. etc.

Never actually played a healer in Tera, have you… I played both mystic and priest. The primary heal skill is a lock-on, ground targeted skills are hp/mp toppers. A party’s survival doesn’t rely on those. And a thing about good healers. We tend to get good parties that appreciate us instead of blaming us. The last time I was blamed by smb…he was a pug who replaced our mia slayer. The very second he called me “noob mystic”, a kick pop-up appeared and as soon as I confirmed, he was out. Good parties don’t let anybody abuse their healer. If a healer is getting cursed at all the time and there is nobody willing to defend them…that healer ain’t good. In 9Dragons we griefed a guild into disbanding because their leader insulted one of our healers.

The mystic has better lock on skills, the priests heals consist mostly out of ground targeting. The last time I played Tera his lock on (priest) skill was inadequate as you get closer to max level. I don’t play Tera because of fees and because questing was annoyingly boring, not because of the healer/trinity. But enuf discussion about the competition, don’t you think

(edited by beren.6048)

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Let me disagree. In most games the healer targets the person in need of healing and press his skill. In Tera the priest needs to ground target the person in need of healing just like ground target skills in GW2. People are running and jumping around and ground target based healing is much more difficult because of it. So very often people see a circle and jump out of it. Ofc a good player sees the difference between a healing circle and a damage circle quickly. But the healer will still take the blame, as always. Not enough players want to play this essential class as an consequence. Good healers get still so much cursing that they reroll etc. etc.

Never actually played a healer in Tera, have you… I played both mystic and priest. The primary heal skill is a lock-on, ground targeted skills are hp/mp toppers. A party’s survival doesn’t rely on those. And a thing about good healers. We tend to get good parties that appreciate us instead of blaming us. The last time I was blamed by smb…he was a pug who replaced our mia slayer. The very second he called me “noob mystic”, a kick pop-up appeared and as soon as I confirmed, he was out. Good parties don’t let anybody abuse their healer. If a healer is getting cursed at all the time and there is nobody willing to defend them…that healer ain’t good. In 9Dragons we griefed a guild into disbanding because their leader insulted one of our healers.

The mystic has better lock on skills, the priests heals consist mostly out of ground targeting. The last time I played Tera his lock on (priest) skill was inadequate as you get closer to max level. I don’t play Tera because of fees and because questing was annoyingly boring, not because of the healer/trinity. But enuf discussion about the competition, don’t you think

Fees? Tera is free to play.

beren.6048

I don’t miss whole guilds cancelling guild activities because the healers didn’t feel like playing. I don’t miss waiting around for hours for 1 healer. I don’t miss guilds outfitting healers who leave the guild right after. I don’t miss being forced to play healer because nobody wants to play it. And last, I don’t miss failing because the healer doesn’t know his skills.

replace healer with tank and you know what I don’t miss about tanks.

That’s great. And 1999 called to apologize.

Those of us living in current day reality didn’t/don’t have those problems. Most current-day MMOs have LFG/dungeon-finding systems that put together groups nearly instantly. Even WoW, the one that people keep quoting as the bane of the ‘trinity’ system will get you into a dungeon within a minute or two. Yes, even if you are a dps class.

To even think of what you are talking about, I have to go back to the beginning of the WoW-era and think about what it was like before they added dungeon-finder with cross-realm support. Heck, they even have a raid-finder system to get you into a raid within a matter of minutes.

And, even going all the way back to the first year of WoW, if my guild couldn’t field enough healers/dps/tanks(usually it was a lack of dps), then we simply brought in some random folks to fill the gaps. Problem solved. And this was back in the day of 40-man dungeons with NO LFG tool whatsoever. All they would have to do is throw in a cross-world dungeon tool and you’d get a group pretty darn quick regardless of your setup.

Never played WoW. WoW is pretty unique in that their player base is so huge that they can support the trinity and the problem that most people play DDs.

In any case, there is a healer: guardian with staff. However there is no healer that can keep you alive no matter what crazy stuff you do. And the problem is not the trinity (imo), it is boss mechanics lacking imagination, boss zerging and no epic boss instances.

beren.6048

Next week, not when I played

Posted by: Kakeru.2873

Kakeru.2873

Not next week, it’s actually playable now, as i’m playing it and have been for a few days, created a NA account as im from EU.

Posted by: LunaNosCustodit.1458

LunaNosCustodit.1458

Not next week, it’s actually playable now, as i’m playing it and have been for a few days, created a NA account as im from EU.

It’s free for all users until the 16th, and then there’s going to be a waiting period until February, when the actual free-to-play model gets implemented.

Don’t expect to stay for very long, however, because after level 30 that game goes downhill forever until you have nothing left to do at level 60. I guess since it’s free now, you are getting what you’re paying for. I saw someone up there in this thread say it requires skill, which is entirely false. You move your mouse more, sure, but. It ends up being as skillful as any other MMO.

On topic, though. I can see why someone would miss healers. Knowing your role in combat is nice, and it makes things easy. You don’t have to think about what’s going on beyond the confines of health bars and cooldowns. I think it’s that that GW2 is trying to avoid. They’re forcing everyone to pay attention and work together because now you don’t have an infinite supply of full heals to fall back on.

Again, the trinity system is nice because it allows you to know EXACTLY what it is you’re supposed to be doing. GW2’s system is nice because it encourages working together. Depends on what you prefer, in the end.

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

While I appreciate that they removed the need for the holy trinity in this game for the most part, they didn’t replace that gaping hole with anything. Now the game just lacks depth and challenege which they tried to offset with PvP, but that’s an empty shell as well.

Personally, I hope the days of the holy trinity are over and stay gone. That doesn’t mean they can’t have more supportive classes in this game though. I mean why couldn’t they have made the water spells all supportive in nature with a few being heals, others being attack speed debuffs, things that make it so you can’t crit etc. This way you remove the need for dedicated healers, but you still give players who liked that supportive role something to do.

Here it’s all about DPS and the PvE encounters have been tuned down to fights that don’t require much real effort to complete and instead they’re more like puzzles that once they’re figured out the only way you can make them more difficult is to throw out 1 shot kills or large AE’s that kill you in 2 seconds.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Amm, no, not really. I played Tera since CBT3 on NA all the way to September(when the gear grind finally got to me and I moved to GW2). I had both mystic and priest at 60 in omnom gear. The basic lock-on skills are virtually the same for both classes(except mystic has a hot attached to it but that is a topper). The strongest heal in the game was the priest lvl 60 lock-on. And between those 2, ground targeted heals for priest were precisely hp/mp toppers and the occasional very situational moment for the short range burst heal. And Tera isn’t even remotely competition for GW2. Just like Civilizations w/e-number-they-got-to isn’t. The 2 games are so completely different….

Anyway…I miss being a pvp healer so darn much…if GW2 had trinity combat, it’d be my ultimate dream MMO. It’d at least be more challenging and less boring….

You don’t have to think about what’s going on beyond the confines of health bars and cooldowns.

Very very bad healer

(edited by TWMagimay.9057)

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

No your DPS is bad. That’s 900+ precision/power you are giving up for healing power, that’s significant especially when you consider the detrimental effect on crit proc effects like EM, life leech sigil, and might proc sigil. You’re just in denial about it.

If my dps is as bad as you claim, please explain to me how I have managed to defeat (1vs1) other players in WvW with my healing and power specced guardian? I have fought other guardians, and even defeated a necro that was clearly specced with high vitality. Like I said, my damage would not compete against a full precision+power build, but I CAN deal enough damage to beat most foes. AND I can heal my allies well.

You do not have to build for full on damage to do well in this game and if you feel you do, then you are doing something wrong. From my experience (and I have played a fair amount of WvW with my guardian) it is very viable to spec for both healing and damage. So long as you spec heavy into one of the 3 damage stats (I have nearly 3000 in my attack stat), you should do ok. If you are not doing well only speccing into one of the damage stats then maybe it just doesn’t suit your playstyle, but the fact remains, that it IS possible to do well.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: LunaNosCustodit.1458

LunaNosCustodit.1458

Amm, no, not really. I played Tera since CBT3 on NA all the way to September(when the gear grind finally got to me and I moved to GW2). I had both mystic and priest at 60 in omnom gear. The basic lock-on skills are virtually the same for both classes(except mystic has a hot attached to it but that is a topper). The strongest heal in the game was the priest lvl 60 lock-on. And between those 2, ground targeted heals for priest were precisely hp/mp toppers and the occasional very situational moment for the short range burst heal. And Tera isn’t even remotely competition for GW2. Just like Civilizations w/e-number-they-got-to isn’t. The 2 games are so completely different….

Anyway…I miss being a pvp healer so darn much…if GW2 had trinity combat, it’d be my ultimate dream MMO. It’d at least be more challenging and less boring….

You don’t have to think about what’s going on beyond the confines of health bars and cooldowns.

Very very bad healer alert.

In all the MMOs I’ve played, that’s all I had to do. Especially TERA, where I literally blew through every instance by standing back, watching health percentages, and pressing hotkeys when I had to.

No, I wasn’t a particularly excellent healer. But I also never caused a wipe, so.

You are wrong, in this case.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

In all the MMOs I’ve played, that’s all I had to do. Especially TERA, where I literally blew through every instance by standing back, watching health percentages, and pressing hotkeys when I had to.

No, I wasn’t a particularly excellent healer. But I also never caused a wipe, so.

You are wrong, in this case.

Just because people carried you through dungeons or w/e content in games doesn’t mean you were any good. And it most definitely doesn’t say anything about the role of a healer. Good healers have to be aware of everything that’s happening around them. Especially in Tera, where healing is the least of what a priest/mystic does….