I really miss old style of tradin

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Firelysm.4967

Firelysm.4967

Don’t you miss walking around the town searching the stores that people create in town and getting all excited when you find a store/shop with amazing item etc etc?
Don’t you miss creating a store/shop before going to sleep?

This TP system did bring so much passiveness into the game : (
Huh nostalgia xD

I really miss running around the town, and checking out all the sitting players who were selling goodies in their own stores/shops!

Actually we could have this “custom sitting” stores which would avoid taxes.

Wish I could get back to GW1.. PvP-GvG. It feels like we are outcasted, not desired or rewarded..

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

No.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Never played a game with this type of feature, so no. Don’t miss it.

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Personally, I prefer to spend my time out in the wild, exploring the landscape. I’m glad I don’t have to spend half my play time running around comparing prices and figuring out where to get the “best deal”. That’s just not interesting to me.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Had that in EQ1 and RO. It was immersive, I give it that. It’s hugely impractical, but kinda immersive. I reckon if done well it could be cool, but meh…

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: knives.6132

knives.6132

I kind of do. I’ve played several games like this and it really does bring competitiveness regarding the prices.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Sounds like a venue for map spam of WTS or WTB. So, no, I don’t miss that, at all.

Good luck on your suggestion, though.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

When I think of the countless hours (or what seems like countless hours) I spent in Spamadan selling stuff, I truly wonder why I didn’t just stop playing. If Guild Wars 2 didn’t have an marketplace that was more or less automatic, I doubt very much I could play it.

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

The whole point of the taxes is to create another gold sink in the game in order to sell gems.

So yeah I wouldn’t hold my breath with regards to any fantasies about player bazaars.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Oh lord, I remember this type of trading from my EQ1 days. And yes, as Inculpatus says, it was a WTB/WTS spam in the chat channel. Which also meant that you could only sell stuff while on-line. No, give me GW2 trading over that any day.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

The whole point of the taxes is to create another gold sink in the game in order to sell gems.

I never understood this line of thinking.
In fact I would say it is completely the opposite.
Without good gold sinks in the game you would HAVE to buy gold for gems in order to get the stuff you want, unless you play several hours a day.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

msalakka.4653

I never understood this line of thinking.
In fact I would say it is completely the opposite.
Without good gold sinks in the game you would HAVE to buy gold for gems in order to get the stuff you want, unless you play several hours a day.

I agree that gold sinks are necessary for a healthy economy – in general – but I still feel they’ve been taken to an extreme in this game. The currency exchange wasn’t an afterthought.

I play several hours a day and I only play WvW – want nothing to do with PvE. The amount of money I get from the absolute garbage loot I get is not enough to cover the cost of upgrading objectives, using food, and – God forbid – trying out new builds. Having 15% of an item’s value being deducted from the sales price hits me noticeably hard because the only things worth selling are of relatively high value, such as rune sets. Selling normal loot I get as drops is usually not worth it as all I get are error messages telling me I need to sell higher than vendor value, which means they never sell.

Vayne.8563

So yeah I wouldn’t hold my breath with regards to any fantasies about player bazaars.

Every game has gold sinks. Every good game anyway. Every single one.

Not every game sells gems.

/conspiracy theory

msalakka.4653

/conspiracy theory

It’s hardly a conspiracy if it’s right in your face at every turn.

I can’t even remove runes from armor without a gem store item which makes it pointless to do so as the cost of the item is higher than the worth of the runes. The only option is to salvage (unless you put it on karma gear in which case you’re kittened) or overwrite. The new system even eradicated the use of transmutation. Don’t bother telling me this was to enhance player experience.

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

I really miss the GW1 trading style, as I was able to make so much money there xD

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Meh. No. I don’t miss that garbage at all. Map chat is actually interesting and useful in this game. Let’s keep it that way.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Guardian of Angels.9867

Guardian of Angels.9867

Meh. No. I don’t miss that garbage at all. Map chat is actually interesting and useful in this game. Let’s keep it that way.

When players used map chat they were breaking the game rules. There was a trade chat for the trades.

aka Holy Blood Guardian
Guild Website: http://www.wtnf.net
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb07P-bW94jE3-mKHGToyOg

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Had that in EQ1 and RO. It was immersive, I give it that. It’s hugely impractical, but kinda immersive. I reckon if done well it could be cool, but meh…

Ha cool, besides every one selling their stuff on prontera square what i miss most is WOE , when having a castle could mean something, :| and when we could mantain that caslte over 1month, the chest reward every week…..

On gw2 doesnt make sense game is divided by shard"districs, or wathever anyone wants to call it" also interaction on pve side is not the same thing, cities are only to show off Tp skins.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I don’t miss this at all. It was one of my least favourite things about both UO and GW1. (aka both other MMOs I’ve played.)

I wasted so much time spamming chat trying to sell things, and if you wanted to buy something that wasn’t both popular with players and a common drop it was even worse.

I once spent a week and a half trying to buy a Bladed Recurve bow. It’s a relatively common drop, but because it’s not a popular skin most players wouldn’t bother with the hassle of selling it. Which meant I had to go around outposts where people were likely to go after getting one, spam chat with announcements that I wanted to buy one and hope I happened to be there at the same time as someone who had one, that they read the message and that they realised they had the item I wanted.

In GW2 I’d just have to look on the TP and in the (highly unlikely) case that no one had listed one for sale put up an offer to buy it then get on with my life. It would take 2 minutes at most. It might still take a few days for the buy order to be fufilled but at least I can keep playing during that time instead of spending it nagging everyone in the vicinity to sell me one.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Had that in my first MMO .. Lineage 2 .. and i don’t miss it at all.

Searching for hours to find hopefully the cheapest stuff and always running in danger
of beeing scammed in some way .. and also having to let your character sit in game
the whole night when you went to bed, to sell some stuff .. no thanks.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Posted by: Lalocat.6793

Lalocat.6793

I didn’t/don’t have huge problems with that trading style, but I do prefer the trading post. The advantage of getting super good deals is outweighed by how long it took to find them.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I actually really enjoyed the trading system in SWG. That was the only game I enjoyed something like that though, they did crafting and selling right. Never played another game that even came close to that.

It would certainly not work for GW2 though. The world is too small, the economy is not varied enough, and there is no reason to have a shop since every item is exactly the same.

Posted by: Psientist.6437

Psientist.6437

I can not imagine what a LA trade chat channel would like if GW2 depended on P2P trading to move the volume of mats handled via the BLTP.

“No! You can’t eat the ones that talk!
They’re special! They got aspirations.”
Finn the human

Vayne.8563

/conspiracy theory

It’s hardly a conspiracy if it’s right in your face at every turn.

I can’t even remove runes from armor without a gem store item which makes it pointless to do so as the cost of the item is higher than the worth of the runes. The only option is to salvage (unless you put it on karma gear in which case you’re kittened) or overwrite. The new system even eradicated the use of transmutation. Don’t bother telling me this was to enhance player experience.

Right the deal is so bad it’s not worth buying. Does that sound smart to you? Do you think they sell tons of them? To whom?

The whole idea of a business is to make money. Anet has done a pretty fair job of making money without making the game pay to win.

There have been a few questionable things, but it’s better than most cash shops I’ve seen except perhaps those for subscription MMOs….and today, even subscription MMOs have cash shops.

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I liked the system in RO.

I would play as my Merchant, buy potions and sell them in front of the dungeons because people needed it there. It works because the game is a grind-fest with no quests.

However, people don’t really need to buy anything since we can all self-heal. It just wouldn’t work in Guild Wars 2 since the design of it doesn’t work.

In other MMO, there are hubs where players do the quest, backtrack and then move on after hours of quests. Guild Wars 2 is mainly do the quest and move on. You barely spend more than 10 minutes in one place.

Ragnarok is different. Players spend days or weeks of grinding in the same exact spot. Which is why the Merchant class works really well. Otherwise, it’ll be an eyesore.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

No, prefer a trading post or auction house over direct sales any day. When in game I want to be focusing on the game while making sales, not focusing on sales and then gaming on the side.

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

I’m already sick of the type of chat spam that we have present – which thankfully is mainly limited to guild recruitment. Bringing a feature into the game that would add WTB and WTS is something I never want to see again.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

msalakka.4653

Right the deal is so bad it’s not worth buying. Does that sound smart to you? Do you think they sell tons of them? To whom?

Probably the same people who click on the 100 € option in the gem store purchase menu. Obviously people are blowing wads of money on important things like different coloured cats. Presumably these items are selling or they’d be replaced with something that does.

The whole idea of a business is to make money. Anet has done a pretty fair job of making money without making the game pay to win.

There have been a few questionable things, but it’s better than most cash shops I’ve seen except perhaps those for subscription MMOs….and today, even subscription MMOs have cash shops.

I think they’ve done a fantastic job of keeping it from being P2W. Especially after my short foray into AA, I’ve found ANet’s solution much more palatable. Some of their cosmetic offerings do tickle even my buying bone, and I’m not easily enticed.

That said, I do think it is too transparent. Like when they destroyed LA, which was a banking/crafting/trading hub, and instantly put up an expensive temporary item on the gem store which allowed easy access to the very amenities that the LA destruction – surprise surprise – removed. It felt to me like the paper-thin story was the vehicle for the real content which was the gem store promotion.

It is a subscription model, just of a different kind. If I couldn’t convert gems into gold, I would rarely buy them at all.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

That said, I do think it is too transparent. Like when they destroyed LA, which was a banking/crafting/trading hub, and instantly put up an expensive temporary item on the gem store which allowed easy access to the very amenities that the LA destruction – surprise surprise – removed. It felt to me like the paper-thin story was the vehicle for the real content which was the gem store promotion.

It is a subscription model, just of a different kind. If I couldn’t convert gems into gold, I would rarely buy them at all.

Except one could argue that every capitol city has the same amenities that LA had. In fact, I find DR to be even more convenient than LA ever was. So I don’t really feel the destruction of LA and releasing an item that ports you to a convenient area as being that much of a driving force to the gem store.

Didn’t the royal terrace come out before the destruction of LA? For some reason I thought it did, which would make this all moot.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

Don’t you miss walking around the town searching the stores that people create in town and getting all excited when you find a store/shop with amazing item etc etc?

This TP system did bring so much passiveness into the game : (
Huh nostalgia xD

I really miss running around the town, and checking out all the sitting players who were selling goodies in their own stores/shops!

Actually we could have this “custom sitting” stores which would avoid taxes.

Nope.

More convenient is more convenient, trading tax keeps the pricing balanced.

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’ve never played a game with that kind of feature, so nope, I don’t miss it. And it doesn’t sound like anything I’d want in a game.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i would like a direct trade system like GW1 but that’s about it…

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

God no. Please no. Seen it done, and it wasn’t pretty. Diablo 2, and somewhat in Diablo 3, does this.

And yes, it’s a spamming nightmare.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Shmyt.7430

Shmyt.7430

Except one could argue that every capitol city has the same amenities that LA had. In fact, I find DR to be even more convenient than LA ever was. So I don’t really feel the destruction of LA and releasing an item that ports you to a convenient area as being that much of a driving force to the gem store.

Didn’t the royal terrace come out before the destruction of LA? For some reason I thought it did, which would make this all moot.

It did; for the Queen’s Gauntlet and Crown Pavilion Activities that happened just before the wave of Scarlet’s involvement. The only difference between LA and capitols is the Forge and it’s even back in LA now; it moved, but it’s still there.

Posted by: Shmyt.7430

Shmyt.7430

I just want direct face to face; it is more useful for me to trade for items and crafting ingredients since I’m trying t create legendaries and foefire weapons and item to gold to item wastes time and money for me

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

Actually, I have played games where you setup your own little shop. Most of the people in the shops were AFK. I would do this when I went to bed. It was fun to wake up in the morning and see what sold, and spamming from what I remember was at a minimum. I don’t think OP is referring to the GW1 style at all where you sit in spamadan with a WTS message copied, just pasting it every minute. Anyways, I did find player run bazaars pretty fun, but the TP works as well. It’ s just not as immersing, and of course you can see everyone’s prices at once.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Posted by: Lightsbane.9012

Lightsbane.9012

i like this sort of trading because it creates a relationship with customers, IE, “oh i’ll buy from this guy since his supply is reliable and his deals are reasonable.” i also like it because it means there’s no middleman taking away profits(BLTC for example) every game i’ve played that had player shops also had a functioning auction house so that cuts out any convenience problems. the other thing i don’t like about the BLTC is that it’s kind of a monopoly, since it’s the only way players are able to sell things to each other(somehow the BLTC/operators of BLTC hasn’t realized this, not a very attentive trading organization) theoretically it could charge whatever it wanted for transactions.

As quick as the Valkyries ride,
As true as Odin’s spear flies,
There is nowhere to hide.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I can’t say that I do, but then again I never experienced it. Doesn’t sound fun though.

Huh nostalgia xD

Yeah, too bad nostalgia tends to colour ones experiences.

I agree that gold sinks are necessary for a healthy economy – in general – but I still feel they’ve been taken to an extreme in this game. The currency exchange wasn’t an afterthought.

Not exactly sure about that. Actually other than the TP what exactly do you do with gold? Buy salvage kits, gathering tools, wp etc. none of which are particularly expensive.

Presumably these items are selling or they’d be replaced with something that does.

This is only a thing for brick and mortar stores. Digital stores don’t really have the issue of limited shelve space (unless the system itself is badly designed). The only issue is with visibility (although that’s more of a UI issue), and it’s not like the store is overflowing with similar type of items. So I don’t think the argument is particularly valid.

i would like a direct trade system like GW1 but that’s about it…

Nah, from a consumer side I prefer a single channel of item acquisition. The issue with direct trading is that with multiple channels they’re not necessarily competing directly with each other, meaning that a crafty seller (selling at odd hours, or in odd locations) can sell an item for a price above that of his or her competitors. Good for the seller not for the buyer.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Spamadan was horrible and I don’t miss it.

When LA was being destroyed, Vigil Keep had everything LA had except crafting stations, iirc (and you could easily go through a town portal for those).

And the Royal Terrace was already a thing long before that.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

No, I sure don’t miss that.

Posted by: Bandit.8279

Bandit.8279

While it was neat at first in GW1 it quickly became a chore to move goods and the chat spam…oh the map spam! So no. I do not miss it.

Fools N Gold [FNG] of Tarnished Coast

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I prefer to shop online. Wandering around where I’d have to poke my head into someone’s bags to see what they’re selling? Not for me.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

no.

the current trading post is fine.

Posted by: voidwater.2064

voidwater.2064

Nah, not really.

It would be harder for sellers to find buyers, harder for buyers to find the items they want, and makes price discovery much harder.

Maybe the quaintness appeals to some, but I think the TP is a much better system.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I miss being able to direct trade with friends.

I really think that is a small price to pay to prevent all the scamming going on with various things. GW1 had at least a dozen trade scams I was aware of, and CS had to deal with reports on it constantly – I assume, extrapolating from the last MMO I worked volunteer CS for with direct trading.

Seriously. Ecto/Mursaat Token scams. Althea’s Ashes/Dust. “Oh, just step outside and drop it my trade is bugged.” Swapping items and hoping nobody notices they got a bad deal.

Sure, we can all go “only an idiot would fall for that sort of thing”. Guess what.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Vayne.8563

Probably the same people who click on the 100 € option in the gem store purchase menu. Obviously people are blowing wads of money on important things like different coloured cats. Presumably these items are selling or they’d be replaced with something that does.

I think they’ve done a fantastic job of keeping it from being P2W. Especially after my short foray into AA, I’ve found ANet’s solution much more palatable. Some of their cosmetic offerings do tickle even my buying bone, and I’m not easily enticed.

See I don’t understand this complaint at all. During the event, I got 2 week passes. I still have some left. People could use this for free just by playing without even worrying about it.

Is it convenient. Sure. So is harvesting without having to buy harvesting tools. But it’s not really “worth it”.

That’s the whole point here. Anet could have made it so you had to have infinite gathering tools to play the game. Do you really think that having to port somewhere to do something is worth the cost of an infinite pass to most people? I don’t.

It’s obvious that Anet created a convenience item that could have been a whole lot greedier. Most of those type of items in this game are luxury items. People are willing to pay for luxury.

What’s obvious is they want to sell something in the cash shop, so the bring the stuff out. But considering I had dozens of 2 week passes for the airship that I got for free from playing the game, I’m not even sure what your complaint is here.

Obviously I wouldn’t have to buy that pass for another year, because of all the temporary passes I had that I got for free.

msalakka.4653

Yes, but the Royal Terrace item was permanent. The Captain’s whatever pass was a temporary 2-week one.

lordkrall.7241

]Yes, but the Royal Terrace item was permanent. The Captain’s whatever pass was a temporary 2-week one.

There was a permanent pass sold for the airship as well (and it also dropped as far as I remember).

Just like how there were both temporary and permanent version of the Terrace pass.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

msalakka.4653

The airship pass’s introduction right after LA destruction must’ve been a coincidence then, is what I am to take away from this I guess.

lordkrall.7241

Oh, it was most likely not a coincidence (very few things actually are), but the fact remains that an area (which is actually better than the Airship) existed months before the destruction of Lion’s Arch, and it is fully possible to get the same things in other places even without the pass.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square