I so desire a New Heavy Armor Melee class

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sean.8274

Sean.8274

I can envision a new heavy class along with the opening of the crystal desert and the introduction of three new weapons.

The class would be a Greek/Persian style warrior with access to shield, javelin, spear, short bow, 1h sword (duel wielding), and crossbow.

One trait line would focus on buffs and cc resulting from successful blocks with the shield.

Javelin would be a melee auto attack with ranged secondary skills.

Spear would be two hand and full melee with decent melee range. Could have massive damage but slow activation skill like impale.

Crossbow would be a mix between long bow and short bow. Shorter range than the Longbow but more damage than a short bow, although slower rate of fire.

I think it could be cool.

Lucy Ursa~80 Guardian | Worf Rozhenko~80 Warrior | Vera Valentine~80 Mesmer | Cupcake~80 Engi
King Arcturus X~80 Ranger | Suki Serra~80 Thief | Count Charon~80 Necro | Regulus Leo~80 Ele
HoD since launch

Posted by: flipyap.5789

flipyap.5789

Im all for the possibility of a Dark Knight or at least any opposite version on the guardian, that…. would be cool

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Polearm/Heavy Axe/Spear wielder..Pure melee massive aoe dmg, but having less toughness and survivability than a warrior or a guardian.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Paragon is all they can do. I want my beautiful legs and throwing spears.

Or they could always just add the Commando as the next Heavy armor class. since SAB proved April Fools can be epic enough to extend it’s reach year-wide.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Why not a heavy armored Dervish profession?
The reason why a dervish wore robes on the first place, was to show their devotion to the gods that they worshipped. Since professions in Guild Wars 2 are religious unbiased, then the Dervish profession, once specializing in melee combat, would have wanted to upgrade their leather robes for something sturdier.

I just want the Dervish to be a thing again… And scythes for that matter…

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: Sundar.1735

Sundar.1735

I can’t really think of any more professions that can be added to the game for any armor type because all the mechanics I can think of have been covered already. For example the Guardian class is a mix of Dervish, Monk, Ritualist and Paragon from GW1. So adding a Dervish profession for example would feel redundant because Guardians can already do what Dervishes did which was to be a melee caster class that relied on enchantments (boons) and could heal. Guardians and Warriors already do what Paragons did which was support the team with Shouts. They could maybe add Spears to the game but not an entire profession. All the professions in GW2 are more all-round compared to classes in GW1 and other MMO’s and because of this we cannot have many classes.

I think the best they could do is add new weapons or maybe rework some weapons for some classes in order to give more variety to gameplay. I miss Scythes from GW1 so they could add them back and maybe allow Necromancers and Guardians to use them, although I think the Greatsword is somewhat of a replacement. They can maybe bring back the Deep Wound condition from GW1 and maybe even hexes but I’m not sure that would work. Adding a profession is impossible in my opinion because we already have all types of mechanics covered.

(edited by Sundar.1735)

Posted by: CntrlAltDefeat.1465

CntrlAltDefeat.1465

i want a new heavy profession too.
but i can’t think of any new profession names anymore.
the 8 professions seems to have covered it all.

warrior (high health, heavy armor)
guardian (low health, heavy armor)
??? (medium health? heavy armor)

ranger (medium health, medium armor)
engineer (medium health, medium armor)
thief (low health, medium armor)

mesmer (medium health, light armor)
elementalist (low health, light armor)
necromancer (high health, light armor)

The name your looking for is MONK.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I posted this on Jan 16th 2013.. so almost a year ago.

The missing Soldier profession should be a dark offensive magic theme to compliment the non-magic warrior and the Light defensive magic Guardian.
It would also compliment the other Dark professions of Necro/Thief.
Using the Dark offensive magic theme you could go for something with:

• Dark and Poison combo fields
  • Boon removal abilities
  • Confusion
  • Life Stealing
  • Chill
  • Water based healing
  • Medium base health (Guardians are low/Warriors high)

So basically, a necro with heavy armor? I’m sure that wouldn’t be a nightmare to balance properly.

The only way offensive magic using knight type classes make it into a game that actually cares about balance is by making them half as good as either of the pure classes at melee and spell casting. The problem is, that by doing that you end up making them subpar in most situations because why wouldn’t you just bring a mage to cast spells or a fighter to bash heads in?

Defensive magic knights only work because they are mobile support kiosks (kind of how the guardian is supposed to work on paper) and usually focus on the prevention of damage rather than the healing of it so they don’t step on the toes of the healing class.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

but i thought monks dun wear heavy armor? O_O

Posted by: SFC Pestilence.1756

SFC Pestilence.1756

tengu samurai

15char

Dude, Like a samurai katana using class that summons spirits/demons or like draws forth some mystical power from their blade (kind of thinking final fantasy tactics style)

Could use katana/shortbow or maybe some kind of thrown weapon?

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

Sundar is rights, guys! Sorry to tell you, but with the build system in the game and the current professions, there’s not really many viable alternatives to a new profession that either a) doesn’t already exist ingame via building or b) isn’t just an almagomation of professions/mechanics/skills that already exist ingame. A heavy armor profession is the least likely to happen if they do come up with one as well. Any new profession is, most likely (like 90%+), probably going to be a light/medium armor, caster style class. I know it sux to hear, but it’s the truth. A new race is infinitely more likely to happen than a new profession will anytime soon (or ever for that matter.)

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

I’m interested in a ranged heavy armor profession. w/e that may be. ( but i much prefer to have races first to balance with the number of professions)

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I’m interested in a ranged heavy armor profession. w/e that may be. ( but i much prefer to have races first to balance with the number of professions)

Warrior w/ a rifle.

Coltz.5617

Warrior w/ a rifle.

ranger with axe = warrior

and CHECK THIS OUT ! If you add a pirate hat on him.. HE’S A PIRATE ~

With all jokes aside a range heavy armor class would be interesting… a class specialized in Heavy portable ranged weaponry, unlike the joke that is engineers mortars.

“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

(edited by Coltz.5617)

Posted by: Dromar.1027

Dromar.1027

The current classes need to be balanced before added a new one.

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

A playstyle mechanic that I would love to see introduced would be something akin to the “gambit” system from the LotRO’s Warden. Quite unique, complex, and engaging. High/risk reward playstle.
For those who don’t know, certain base skills (1,2, or 3) could be used in sequence (1,2,3 or 3,2,1 or 2,1,3 or 111 or 222 or…) to create a gambit, which would create a unique, powerful skill. This required the player to plan what type of gambit he would want early on, and the longer the gambit (123123123 for example) the more powerful the effect. Even from a mere 4 sequence gambit, we have 3^4 potential skills, making it an extremely complex and nuanced class. As for the playstle itself, play centered on predicting, continuing, and completing these gambits, and counterplay revolved around disrupting completion of the gambit.
So I suppose, very similar to that, a “Spartan” sort of class with spear and shield, with high mobility, sturdy AoE heals/CC, and decent damage.

edit:
The unique class mechanic could be, perhaps, group mobility. Right now, in combat, the most notable (and commonly noted) mechanics are DPS, Healing, and CC, but there remain other relatively minor ones (e.g., stealth). Now, the class-specific enhancement I propose for the warden is in mobility. The only skill that currently exists along these lines is the Mesmer’s portal. My idea for the warden would be to have skills which can transport groups both through dramatic speed increase (think, 2x to 3x the potency of swiftness) and teleportation (“veil” portals, run through one veil and come out another). This certainly would be a most unique, engaging, and complex addition to GW2 combat.

(edited by Requiem.8769)

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Lol I agree. Bringing monk back will save this game. I loved it, still do.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

A pugilist with a Carbon fibre type armor to keep their mobility high and give them a good regen.

Weapons could be fist weapon, range could be a hook and chain to pull the foe to you, and perhaps a crossbow.

f1 being perhaps an uppercut blow.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

It looks hard to implement, but if they introduced secondary classes like gw1 we would have more class options/combinations.

Sirendor.1394

What we lack, friends, is… THE COMMANDO

Posted by: Wranglerist.5489

Wranglerist.5489

When you use the roast beef skill, and follow it up with Au Jus utility you get the FRENCH DIP combo.

It’s way overpowered btw and total BS and Anet needs to balance it.

The Sandwichmancer!

#ELEtism

Posted by: Cush.4063

Cush.4063

LOL, “Aw heck, that don’t look right. Le’me fix that”

Thank you for that video, made my day

Posted by: Rigultru.3597

Rigultru.3597

Cough*Paragon*Cough.

Sirendor.1394

LOL, “Aw heck, that don’t look right. Le’me fix that”

Thank you for that video, made my day

xD I do pity the poor grawl and charr.

~soft music on the background, flowers dancing in the wind… aaahh all is peaceful~
BAM
Commandos in ACTION

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

I still don’t understand why only the mesmer made it as the only unique profession form the 1st game. I loved my dervish, would love something similar. I mean, dervishes stripped their boons to gain benefits(dmg, condition, attack speed…etc). Could be made, lorewise it could be twisted, the mechanics may need some rework to better suit GW2.
I would be happy with an otherworldly warrior/knight whatever. Kinda that dark knight stuff. Warrior is boring now, I don’t like the guardian. But we’ll see. Anything new is welcome.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If they do add in a new heavy armor class i hope its a non mages type we have 4 mages (ele, gurd, mez, necro) like classes and only 3 non mages (thf, eng, rng). I think it should be a heavy armor tool using class where they use different tools like say eng but more of low tech tools say xbow or bow with different tipped arrows or knives with low tech attachments etc.. think ninja like it looks like magic but realty they are using low tech tools to do trick and effects.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

think ninja like it looks like magic but realty they are using low tech tools to do trick and effects.

Thematically, mechanically, aesthetically; what would make a ninja class different enough from the thief class to warrant its existence?

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

think ninja like it looks like magic but realty they are using low tech tools to do trick and effects.

Thematically, mechanically, aesthetically; what would make a ninja class different enough from the thief class to warrant its existence?

So when i say ninja i am not talking stealth i am talking on the lines of using tools such as vanish dust (stealth lol) eggs tools that are made but are very low tech and one time use. Say using gunpowder on an arrow to get an explosion like effect. Or a shield that is made to grab ppl weapons due to its shape. Think an eng but using old wepon tech. An example could be the idea of a dragon hunter using nets traps but still very heavy armored.

I guess i am thinking on the lines of MH type hero flash bombs sleep bombs traps etc.. if you ever played that game.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Chrispy,
ah! college!
its good to be young!

hmmm ok i’ll use Theurigst and slap it to my profession.

he summons the spirit of the rifle and molds it into various weapons to use personally.

here goes:

Theurigst
medium health
heavy armor
1 weapon
can wield any weapons for cosmetic purposes, still get the same 20 weapon skills over f1 – 4 different forms.

“the Theurigst channels spirit energy to summon the ghostly spirit of the equipped weapon and molds into various gigantic battle weapons”
- the actual rifle hovers behind the back and the theurigst
- the theurigst wields the ghostly spirit of the weapon, transformed into weapons

f1 – f4
toggles between battle various transformations,
rifle skill 1 – 5 changes completely, like the elementalist
graphically the ghostly form of rifle changes shape as well

f1 – giant fists
melee skills
movement skills

f2 – whip
medium range skills

f3 – crossbow
long range skills

f4 – cannon
aoe siege skills

hmmm just some concept.
sounds like an elementalist? O_O

I actually really like the concept of this. Perhaps make it more debility / condi-focused like a necro?

NSPride <3

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

the best thign ANet should add to GW2, should be dragoon theme “Lancers” with Halberds (general polearm weapons)

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

What you want is the warrior.

There is not really such a thing as melee/range class distinction in this game, and it’s better for it.

Also, there is absolutely room for a heavy armor melee class. It would simply be a warrior class that dabbled in the arcane, touching a variety of arcane magic types.

Anything else would either be far too specific to be represented by an entire class, or would overlap too much with existing classes.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Also, there is absolutely room for a heavy armor melee class. It would simply be a warrior class that dabbled in the arcane, touching a variety of arcane magic types.

Why heavy armor and arcane magic over heavy armor and divine magic, heavy armor and dark magic, heavy armor and elemental magic, etc, etc, etc?

Anything else would either be far too specific to be represented by an entire class, or would overlap too much with existing classes.

There are only a few themes I can think of being added to the game without stepping on an existing class’s toes: a bard/minstrel type class (music), a martial artist type class (hand-to-hand combat), and a ritualist type class (spirit magic). Everything else is either already in the game or an amalgamation of two or more things already in the game. That’s not to say they can’t or won’t add something unrelated to the above three; I’m just saying thematically speaking, most of it is already covered by what we’ve already got.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Battlemage.

a.k.a guardian with less religious/defensive stuff and more elemental/"kill stuff" stuff.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Coltz.5617

hm. You never know, http://www.kekaiart.com/uploads/5/4/7/6/5476798/8952993_orig.jpg

This is apparently a GW2 art and out of all the other pictures of classes we can relate too. This one I don’t remember seeing… as well as helicopters.. But that’s not the case.

“ALL IS VAIN”

Sirendor.1394

hm. You never know, http://www.kekaiart.com/uploads/5/4/7/6/5476798/8952993_orig.jpg

This is apparently a GW2 art and out of all the other pictures of classes we can relate too. This one I don’t remember seeing… as well as helicopters.. But that’s not the case.

Is that a tengu? I see feathers on the arm. O_O
That must be their big master plan… the tengu have developed themselves into modern beings, their guards at the gate are in disguise to make us think they are still rather primitive… but instead, they have evolved… in a nation of power.

Posted by: pulupulu.9730

pulupulu.9730

How about lancer? Land pole weapon based heavy armor class.

We already got spear and trident for water. Just bring it onto land. Can throw hammer and staff into the mix too.

Posted by: Lazze.9870

Lazze.9870

Also, I think GW1 had a “heavy” type class called a Paragon…

Which was essentially merged with the monk in the development of the guardian. Party wide buffs and shouts were pretty much the core mechanics of the paragon.

Posted by: Mudfin.4637

Mudfin.4637

I can envision a new heavy class along with the opening of the crystal desert and the introduction of three new weapons.

The class would be a Greek/Persian style warrior with access to shield, javelin, spear, short bow, 1h sword (duel wielding), and crossbow.

One trait line would focus on buffs and cc resulting from successful blocks with the shield.

Javelin would be a melee auto attack with ranged secondary skills.

Spear would be two hand and full melee with decent melee range. Could have massive damage but slow activation skill like impale.

Crossbow would be a mix between long bow and short bow. Shorter range than the Longbow but more damage than a short bow, although slower rate of fire.

I think it could be cool.

I like this.

And, to add to it, as someone else posted, make it like an Elementalist and there is no weapon swap. Use F1-F3 as stances that affect Damage, Control, and Support. Make it so Stance dancing is the most effective way to play. Some what like an EQ Bard. I love how the Elementalist dances between the elements and wished a melee class did something like that.

Or you could just make Engineers Heavy and add this class to the Medium armor brigade.

Sibley Thorne – Necromancer – HoD

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

I believe people are forgetting that Weapons arent class specific like in GW1. cant have a class built around a weapon.