I think beta players owe the rest of us an apology...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: slazzy.7309

slazzy.7309

…for allowing us to buy without warning us. For those of you who played beta, where were you the first two weeks after launch, when all you saw spewing on these forums was sunshine and rainbows. Where were the “lack of progression” posts then, or the “Orr is a heaping pile.”

Granted, the DR came out after launch, not during beta, so we couldn’t get fair warning about that. But the “lack of reward for PvP”, the “boredom of DE”, the “bugs and the unbalanced mess” that you guys are detailing now….what, there were no bugs in beta? No progression-less feeling while you were testing?

Personally, I think this game is crumbling quickly, from what I’ve experienced, from the ghost-town my server is becoming (full is just a word. Without the stat behind it, its meaningless. I can flip a server flag to say full as well). My apology request is just an absurdity. I’m not really looking for one. What I do mean is I think its important that we as players start to vent our frustrations more during beta, so the public can make a better informed decision.

- We need to show these developers we are not putting up with bug-ridden, passionless mediocrity.

- We need to show them by no longer pre-ordering. This pre-ordering has given publishers freedom to churn out whatever they want in whatever state. What does it matter when you’ve already sold a million copies.

- We need to show them by expressing how if certain systems are not fixed by launch, we won’t be purchasing.

- We need to help them understand that if they want a successful mmo with a large community, they need to stop making games just to their satisfaction. You need to satisfy your fans in order to keep them.

I think we just need to express our dissatisfaction earlier, because then we as consumers have more power over the situation. After the fact, when they already have our $, its much harder to get our voice heard.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Let’s be brutally honest here, how many beta ‘testers’ actually test? Most people tend to view the beta testing period as early access and thus only a tiny portion of players actually report and actively test things out. Internal testing was likely done as well, though that can only cover so much.

Let’s not put all the blame on Arena Net.

(edited by Garenthal.1480)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

you are here to express YOUR dissatisfaction, step off your soapbox. There is no “we” between you and a lot of people who enjoy the game a lot.

Posted by: Shard.4791

Shard.4791

Beta had limited access. We weren’t allowed to go to orr. Skillpoints / DEs weren’t then bugged because there weren’t this many players etc. I think you need to reword your post.

Mm. I like turtles.

slazzy.7309

from up here on my soapbox I can only see a trickle of fanboy out there. So I think the use of “we” as majority is quite appropriate.

And we need to do a better job of testing, not just using it as an early access peek.

Posted by: Lutinz.6915

Lutinz.6915

These threads are getting old. If you dont like the game you dont have to play. Constructive critizism if fine. What your posting, however, isnt constructive.

Posted by: Sheen.8196

Sheen.8196

Has this game launched in korea yet? If not I suspect I know why… korean consumer laws are pretty interesting… false advertising doesn’t go well there and the sellers are obligated to allow refunds of products that are falsely advertised.

Posted by: nachdenki.2637

nachdenki.2637

I love the game, so go speak for yourself. Can’t read any of those stupid posts anymore. If you are not satisfied and have no constructive criticism to post, go away, seriously. It is extremely boring and I would consider your post spam at this point.

And I am not saying this because I am a fanboy (although I am), I am saying this because your post is useless and clutters the forum with your personal opinion that you are trying to say everyone has, which clearly isn’t the case.

Posted by: JazzyJay.1367

JazzyJay.1367

Beta testers don’t owe you anything. What makes you so entitled? Wake up.

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

Take a stand bro! Fight the power!
Could you please do it in another game though? Bored of reading drivel here on the forum

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: InfiniteRetro.9865

InfiniteRetro.9865

excellent post. well before the betas i called that this game was going to have some MAJOR issues. during the betas, i also called it by saying that they were hiding issues/parts of the game (not for keeping it as a surprise when we play) but to actually make sure people wouldnt burn through the entire game in 3 beta weekends, 4 stress tests to realise what we all know now.

that the game was already broken, that the systems they used to talk down to every other mmo on the market actually worked out to be far worse than what is currently on offer.

thats why we couldnt beta test higher than level 30 zones. and as a result, look at all the issues:
- poor loot rewards
- ridiculously overtuned and shoddily presented dungeons
- broken storylines
- bugged storylines/DE’s
- now the introduced DR
- no authentication
- no ability to roll back characters if accounts are hacked (i have the wording in an email as proof)
- massive server queues for WvWvW
- basically arcade type spvp, which, i think Doom multiplayer did a better job at rewards (yes, doom had no rewards, and it still was better multiplayer)

on a final note, notice how all the butt kissing anet was doing prior to launch has all but evaporated in now replaced with north korean control over a game they simply cant control?

this is like gw1 economy on steroids.

oh well, i apologise on my behalf for failing as a beta tester. clearly me doing my vids on youtube, voicing my opinion on forums wasnt enough, as was shot down, threatened with all for voicing the very facts we now see at the mess known as Guild Wars 2.

and Arenanet had the NERVE to talk down to WoW, an 8 year and THE most successful MMO of all time.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

And there is our InfiniteRetro
5 months in MMO champion bushing GW2 , instead of getting a refund** :P

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Where were the “lack of progression” posts then, or the “Orr is a heaping pile.”

I don’t get this. Arena Net made it perfectly clear up front that there would be no progression in this game once you reached 80, except for the skin grind. So why should anybody “spoiler” this on the forums?

Granted, the DR came out after launch, not during beta, so we couldn’t get fair warning about that. But the “lack of reward for PvP”, the “boredom of DE”, the “bugs and the unbalanced mess” that you guys are detailing now….what, there were no bugs in beta? No progression-less feeling while you were testing?

These post were there, just not here in the official forums but on all the community sites.

- We need to show these developers we are not putting up with bug-ridden, passionless mediocrity.

- We need to show them by no longer pre-ordering. This pre-ordering has given publishers freedom to churn out whatever they want in whatever state. What does it matter when you’ve already sold a million copies.

- We need to show them by expressing how if certain systems are not fixed by launch, we won’t be purchasing.

I mostly agree with you on thest poinst. In general, I don’t think GW2 is that bad.

- We need to help them understand that if they want a successful mmo with a large community, they need to stop making games just to their satisfaction. You need to satisfy your fans in order to keep them.

Here I completely disagree. Games should never be designed to satisfy the crowd. Game designers should instead stick to their ideas and dreams and be honest about them. If people like it, they will play it. There is no need to reach for the highes player count or anything like that, being a niche product is fine.

I think we just need to express our dissatisfaction earlier, because then we as consumers have more power over the situation. After the fact, when they already have our $, its much harder to get our voice heard.

Correct, but that’s not on the pre-purchasers. If you don’t know enough about a product you just shouldn’t buy it on release day. Wait a few weeks, read the forums and watch the gameplay videos on youtube an co. If you don’t like what you see, don’t buy the game. Purchasing something on release day and complaining afterwards is just stupid.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

Beta weekend events were extremely successful in generating a lot of hype and helped a lot with the marketing there’s no denying that. However, seeing as it was just a weekend and they always stated that characters would be wiped, I can’t speak for everyone but that gave my friends and I incentive to not dive too far into the game. Besides, not everyone wants to spoil their experience before the game even launched. We spent the majority of our time testing out builds in sPvP that we’ve been theory crafting for awhile. As a result, most of our reports fell in the bugged skills/traits section which is equally as important as content bugs in the game.

Do I want there to be less bugs in the game, who doesn’t? But the fact is, many areas weren’t even available for beta testing. The time constraint and structure of the beta events meant a majority of the content went untested. An oversight? Possibly, but kitten bugs are bugs, be patient with it. If they made beta events a more permanent phase before the game launched would that have helped? Most likely, but there’s also good reasons for against doing that.

In fact, other than this horrible mess they call the DR system, I find the game overall to be very polished. I do have slight annoyances here and there but the DR is the only true legitimate complaint I can have.

slazzy.7309

ahhhh, you didn’t read my post. I said my call for an apology was an absurdity. My point is we need to be more vocal during beta so everyone is more informed.

And I’m sorry, but the majority of these posts are hitting the negative. I don’t speak for all. I don’t need to. The pulse of the forum speaks volumes

InfiniteRetro.9865

oh i got my refund cupcake. before bwe3. now, dont be mad that i was right. not even star wars failed this hard.

Posted by: Gathslan.1870

Gathslan.1870

…for allowing us to buy without warning us. For those of you who played beta, where were you the first two weeks after launch, when all you saw spewing on these forums was sunshine and rainbows. Where were the “lack of progression” posts then, or the “Orr is a heaping pile.”

Personally, I think this game is crumbling quickly, from what I’ve experienced, from the ghost-town my server is becoming (full is just a word. Without the stat behind it, its meaningless. I can flip a server flag to say full as well). My apology request is just an absurdity. I’m not really looking for one. What I do mean is I think its important that we as players start to vent our frustrations more during beta, so the public can make a better informed decision.

There is no we, i love the game, and every single person i know does too.

Killthehealersffs.8940

<<“lack of reward for PvP”, the “boredom of DE”, the “bugs and the unbalanced mess”>>

In all site , u could read the threads that there is not gear progression :P
Bugs there is in lot of games
Unbalance mess , u mean the pvp ? Allllllllllllllll game , even now have balance problems :P
I love DEs , u dont , then all ppl find the boring ?

Posted by: Lumines.3916

Lumines.3916

oh i got my refund cupcake. before bwe3. now, dont be mad that i was right. not even star wars failed this hard.

Already got a refund, but still patrolling boards for a game you’re not even playing.. being the proud keyboard warrior you are…

Garenthal.1480

I smell the acrid scent of desperation whenever I see someone posting about how the game is doomed to fail. It just baffles me that these people feel so much hatred for GW2 and yet still remain, arguing and posting about it.

The game certainly has a few issues to smooth out, though they’re nowhere near as deadly as alarmists like to make them out to be.

Killthehealersffs.8940

In order to post u need a <<copy>> of GW2 :P
How can u speak ? :P

Edit: Stop using telepathy , and get out of my head !!!!!!!!!!!

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

JazzyJay.1367

ahhhh, you didn’t read my post. I said my call for an apology was an absurdity. My point is we need to be more vocal during beta so everyone is more informed.

And I’m sorry, but the majority of these posts are hitting the negative. I don’t speak for all. I don’t need to. The pulse of the forum speaks volumes

True story. I read the first paragraph and skimmed the rest. The title gave me a bad vibe and thus my response. I suppose to avoid confusion, a title more to the point would be better.

After a brief re-read (a.k.a. skim), I didn’t see the true message until the very last paragraph. I think most people won’t read to the very last paragraph if we see a lot of the same material people have been talking about over and over. Not to be critical, just saying.

InfiniteRetro.9865

In order to post u need a <<copy>> of GW2 :P
How can u speak ? :P

Edit: Stop using telepathy , and get out of my head !!!!!!!!!!!

check my youtube. the truth is out there sunshine.

JazzyJay.1367

Already got a refund, but still patrolling boards for a game you’re not even playing.. being the proud keyboard warrior you are…

blah blah blah zzzzz lol dude, the hurt is strong in you. look, for every one of me, there were 50 of you folk crying, and screaming and threatening hate over negative gw2 opinions. my vids now have people coming back and apologising for their rudeness because they saw i was right.

lol not often, but i have my moments. thanks.

Sorry, but Lumines wins this round.

Killthehealersffs.8940

I have checked it , with the pay to win gemstore :P
But how again can u reply to me , if u dont have a copy of GW2 ? :P

InfiniteRetro.9865

blah blah blah zzzzz lol dude, the hurt is strong in you. look, for every one of me, there were 50 of you folk crying, and screaming and threatening hate over negative gw2 opinions. my vids now have people coming back and apologising for their rudeness because they saw i was right.

Sorry, but Lumines wins this round.

you mean the man kittenmembered who I AM from another forum wins the internet over me? ROFL

InfiniteRetro.9865

I have checked it , with the pay to win gemstore :P
But how again can u reply to me , if u dont have a copy of GW2 ? :P

oh its a recent vid. quite funny how it came about. i guess even the hater has his day lol

Posted by: Vahn.2734

Vahn.2734

I’m personally enjoying the game.

You would of done well to check other places besides official forums, the posts of people having issues with the game were out there. You just didn’t look hard enough.

Posted by: Pandemoniac.4739

Pandemoniac.4739

Actually using “we” as a call to action for like minded folks is perfectly appropriate. Don’t spoil it by claiming you and like minded folks are in the majority. Unless you’ve somehow got a list of everyone that plays GW2 and taken a survey of a statistically significant sample of those players, then, by all means go ahead. I don’t know if the disgruntled are many or just vocal, so I’ll just stick to what I do know, which is my opinion.

I’m happy with my pre-purchase, bugs and all. I had a blast in the beta and I’m still having a blast now at level 75 on my main. I haven’t done a single boring thing that I didn’t want to do to get there. I didn’t farm at all. I just played.

I feel that ANet has made a game they can be proud of and I feel that the dev team is responsive to player concerns. Every change I’ve seen them make since the first beta has been in the right direction for me and how I like to play. I’m still highly recommending the game and have already turned a couple of my co-workers into similarly avid players. I did warn one co-worker off, because it wasn’t his type of game and he probably wouldn’t enjoy it.

I logged in to the forums to send them a little “thank you” for changing things around near Sleekfur encampment to drive off the bots. There are a lot of annoyances, but every time I log in, I notice a little bit of progress, and there’s still plenty to do (for me, and how I like to play) that allows me to avoid the annoyances until they’re fixed. Other games haven’t allowed me to play around the inevitable issues nearly as well as GW2 has. (Diablo 3 and SWTOR I’m looking at you when I say that!)

I get that people are disappointed that their expectations weren’t met and that because there’s no subscription to cancel, y’all don’t feel you’re being heard. I don’t know what can be done about that except for you to ask for your account to be closed. I’m doubtful that ANet will ever change the game enough to suit your play style, no matter how hard you complain.

Don’t ever think you know what’s right for the other person.
He might start thinking he knows what’s right for you.
—Paul Williams

Killthehealersffs.8940

No u keep hating GW2 5 months now , cause it have Pay-To-Win gemstore as u claimed
If u got a refund , how can u still reply me ? Did buy an other copy ? Ur older game didnt satisfie u ?

InfiniteRetro.9865

No u keep hating GW2 5 months now , cause it have Pay-To-Win gemstore as u claimed
If u got a refund , how can u still reply me ? Did buy an other copy ? Ur older game didnt satisfie u ?

i consider it a clerical error. plus the fortune of a code working long after its intended use.

some of us have all the luck.

Garenthal.1480

Your attitude speaks volumes. If you don’t like the game, feel free to take your leave – no one is going to stop you or beg you to return. At least have the balls to admit that for whatever reason you’re angry and feel better about yourself by stirring up drama – I can’t think of any other valid reason as to why you’d linger on the official site of a game you claim to despise.

Constructive feedback is fine, though what you’re giving certainly doesn’t fall under the definition of constructive.

slazzy.7309

True story. I read the first paragraph and skimmed the rest. The title gave me a bad vibe and thus my response. I suppose to avoid confusion, a title more to the point would be better.

After a brief re-read (a.k.a. skim), I didn’t see the true message until the very last paragraph. I think most people won’t read to the very last paragraph if we see a lot of the same material people have been talking about over and over. Not to be critical, just saying.

Noted. My title sucked. I tried breaking up the paragraphs so no one would cry “wall”. But I got wordy.

Hey I want this to succeed. But how these game systems pass the beta test I’ll never understand, only to lose a chunk of the player base a few weeks later from dissatisfaction over the same game systems they were testing. How many more mmo launches are going to experience this. If developers don’t learn from other failed launches, then its up to us as players to remind them. We know what factors add to a game’s long-lasting appeal. By “we” I do mean to include all gamers this time.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

If anyone owes anyone an apology, I think all the people raining down negativity owe the rest of the GW2 community an apology. It’s one thing to complain, but when every forum thread is repeated negativity or every good thread is hijacked, it makes coming to the forums a real pain to deal with.

You cannot even start a thread about enjoying the game without someone trying to turn it around on you. It’s getting quite tiresome.

InfiniteRetro.9865

well if arenanet employed north korea, i mean, DR into the betas then well most people wouldnt have bothered with the game. for people to claim its to combat botters, DR exists in gw1 to quite a large degree. this was there plan, naturally, the blind continue to think its all sunshine and roses.

Noted. My title sucked. I tried breaking up the paragraphs so no one would cry “wall”. But I got wordy.

Hey I want this to succeed. But how these game systems pass the beta test I’ll never understand, only to lose a chunk of the player base a few weeks later from dissatisfaction over the same game systems they were testing. How many more mmo launches are going to experience this. If developers don’t learn from other failed launches, then its up to us as players to remind them. We know what factors add to a game’s long-lasting appeal. By “we” I do mean to include all gamers this time.

Posted by: Arson.4189

Arson.4189

game is letting people down. all around pvp and pve.

they need to do some serious PR this week or they are borked.

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

By the time a game reaches Beta, it has moved on from the design board by miles.
Ive been in plenty of Alphas and Betas (am playing some at the mo).
I have seen changes in Alphas, very small changes in Betas.

But open Betas, even weekends are mainly stress testing on the servers. Nothing fundamental will change

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I love seeing all the posts from people who have had jumped on the hate band wagon. And using frases like “lots of people are fed up” and “we need to show them this and that.” GW2 is not ME3. And for everyone person who posts on here saying things are bad and people are quitting the game, there are people loving the game. What also makes me laugh is that not everyone posts on a forum. I only come here as I don’t get as much time to play games as I use too. I just come on here to keep up with bug fixes and such. But also to remind people for every person hating on the game there are people who are too busy having fun and playing to get on here and tell us so.

Yes I’m on the side of enjoying the game. So far I’ve not had any game braking bugs. And I’m enjoying the game so far. I say so far as I’m lvl57. Don’t give me the come back when your 80 BS, I have just as much right to coment on the game as anyone else. I’m not saying I’ve seen zero bugs, I’ve seen quite a few. But I don’t care I just move along. Maybe ANet can make a complaints sub forum. Or if your that bothered contact support for a refund. There are things you can do.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

JazzyJay.1367

If anyone owes anyone an apology, I think all the people raining down negativity owe the rest of the GW2 community an apology. It’s one thing to complain, but when every forum thread is repeated negativity or every good thread is hijacked, it makes coming to the forums a real pain to deal with.

You cannot even start a thread about enjoying the game without someone trying to turn it around on you. It’s getting quite tiresome.

I completely agree. I keep hoping for the day I can look at the Guild Wrs 2 Discussion forum and see most people chatting about good times and positive things. I would never expect all “negative posts” to go away and I wouldn’t encourage it even. It is that occasional criticism that will keep everyone thinking about the next great thing.

InfiniteRetro.9865

not to be rude but well done, except, now you know what its been like for every other mmo forum in the lead up to gw2. EVERY mmo forum had to put up with this mercenary ‘your mmo sucks gw2 will kill it’ group. THAT grew tiresome. and when i see people complaining about negativity, well, karma is the word id use.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

Except that we’re not the people who did that. I know I never did. I don’t have an issue with other MMOs, and had just come from playing both Rift and Lord of the Rings Online just prior to buying the game.

JazzyJay.1367

not to be rude but well done, except, now you know what its been like for every other mmo forum in the lead up to gw2. EVERY mmo forum had to put up with this mercenary ‘your mmo sucks gw2 will kill it’ group. THAT grew tiresome. and when i see people complaining about negativity, well, karma is the word id use.

Where does it end? You can start the revolution and walk away.

InfiniteRetro.9865

revolution? you mean the gw2 community cant man up, apologise for being total kittens to other gamers simply because their kitten wannbe wow killer game was all they cared for?

god, not even totalbiscuit who went all squealy for gw2 gives two kitten about it now.

Posted by: Sin.8174

Sin.8174

lol Totalbiscuit. Those new gen of youtube heroes.

Orphyn X – 8X Thief – Tarnished Coast
Lady Raevyn – 11 Necromancer – TC
Fanboy- The New Godwin’s Law.

Posted by: noremorze.1745

noremorze.1745

I completely agree. I keep hoping for the day I can look at the Guild Wrs 2 Discussion forum and see most people chatting about good times and positive things. I would never expect all “negative posts” to go away and I wouldn’t encourage it even. It is that occasional criticism that will keep everyone thinking about the next great thing.

Unfortunately this is quite common these days. I never understood, and i never will, what motivates these kind of people. It just has to revolve solely around their own needs when it comes to design, if not, then just bakitten day in day out.

One look at this forum and you can see 3 or 4 people stating the exact same thing over and over again in numerous threads.

It doesn’t mean that i think the game is perfect or has no bugs, but continueing the same rants over and over again, by the same few people, is getting quite pathetic imo. You don’t have to like certain aspects of the game, but just move on. We get it now, you don’t like certain things, no need to repeat it over and over again in numerous threads.

Ofcourse, when you don’t agree with their views, you’re a fanboy/whiteknight or whatever.

Garenthal.1480

revolution? you mean the gw2 community cant man up, apologise for being total kittens to other gamers simply because their kitten wannbe wow killer game was all they cared for?

god, not even totalbiscuit who went all squealy for gw2 gives two kitten about it now.

You’re expecting loyalty from Youtube ‘celebrities’ to be a valid point in a discussion? I think you’ll find most of them will hop from game to game based on what will get them the most subscribers (and as a result money and ‘fame’) rather than stick with something even if they enjoy it.

TotalBiscuit isn’t the best example to use, at the very least. I still remember how he used to whine and got himself banned on the official WoW forums because he couldn’t post his videos there when he was still trying to get more credibility.

Posted by: Naminator.9316

Naminator.9316

Would you like some cheese with your whine?

InfiniteRetro.9865

lol Totalbiscuit. Those new gen of youtube heroes.

hey man dont knock him he ended up being the brief poster child for gw2 that the fanboys wanted LOL

InfiniteRetro.9865

You’re expecting loyalty from Youtube ‘celebrities’ to be a valid point in a discussion? I think you’ll find most of them will hop from game to game based on what will get them the most subscribers (and as a result money and ‘fame’) rather than stick with something even if they enjoy it.

TotalBiscuit isn’t the best example to use, at the very least. I still remember how he used to whine and got himself banned on the official WoW forums because he couldn’t post his videos there when he was still trying to get more credibility.

no, but he’s a voice, a big voice. hell people know who i am and i got less than 4k subs LOL

Posted by: ManMountain.4321

ManMountain.4321

beta tester here and i have yet to come across a problem that would make me leave the game.. I am havin fun and its 1 month old what you expect a 7 yr old polished game oh wait yes you do cause you are all spoiled needy peopel