I think that some of you are just overreacting

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

I know there are a lot of people upset now… But why? Really? What have just happend that made so upset? Is it becouse AN just announced that the newest update will contain… Purple RING!? No? So maybe becouse it is slightly more powerfull then the exotic one? Hmm… So how much more powerfull is it? Lets take a look…

My level 80 guardian has 1500 power – so it’s just low as hell (and still I can do any dungeon whithin the game). And so called scary as hell ring will give my guardian additional 5 above that what can give him exotic ring. So that gets my character 0,003 more powerfull then those without the Ascended Ring of Uther Apocalypse!

Above that there were ALWAYS items better then others! Whites are weeker then blues and blues are weeker then greens. Level 79 character is weeker then level 80 character.

New items does not change a THING! They change NOTHING! They are just another type of achievement.
And did you ever played gw1? There were locations where you need armor infusion or exact class and exact build. How is the ring any different then that?

ANT did a lot work making you all feel equal when playing PvP (where ascended gear probibly will never appear). They even scale your level and gear when playing PvE! And you still think that they just want to throw that all away? Think again.

Posted by: Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713

I know there are a lot of people upset now… But why? Really? What have just happend that made so upset? Is it becouse AN just announced that the newest update will contain… Purple RING!? No? So maybe becouse it is slightly more powerfull then the exotic one? Hmm… So how much more powerfull is it? Lets take a look…

My level 80 guardian has 1500 power – so it’s just low as hell (and still I can do any dungeon whithin the game). And so called scary as hell ring will give my guardian additional 5 above that what can give him exotic ring. So that gets my character 0,003 more powerfull then those without the Ascended Ring of Uther Apocalypse!

Above that there were ALWAYS items better then others! Whites are weeker then blues and blues are weeker then greens. Level 79 character is weeker then level 80 character.

New items does not change a THING! They change NOTHING! They are just another type of achievement.
And did you ever played gw1? There were locations where you need armor infusion or exact class and exact build. How is the ring any different then that?

ANT did a lot work making you all feel equal when playing PvP (where ascended gear probibly will never appear). They even scale your level and gear when playing PvE! And you still think that they just want to throw that all away? Think again.

The ring is just the beginning. Eventually there will be a full Ascended set. And that’s 8,5% stronger than a full exotic set, not counting the Infusions.

Problems:
Power creep
Gear treadmill
Exotics becoming the new rares
People who play less can’t catch up
Vertical progression instead of horizontal

Gear is scaled by a percentage so a lvl 80 player with Ascended gear downscaled to 30 will be stronger than a lvl 80 player with Exotic gear downscaled to 30.

Hit the brakes BEFORE the car hits the wall.

IT’S A SWORD. THEY’RE NOT MEANT TO BE SAFE.

(edited by Waar Kijk Je Naar.8713)

Posted by: Ganzo.5079

Ganzo.5079

Old runes and sigils risk to become useless as well.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
It doesn’t suck your life away and force you onto a grinding treadmill"
LOL

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

How’s that? The new Ascended gear won’t have rune/sigil slots.

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

The ring is just the beginning. Eventually there will be a full Ascended set. And that’s 8,5% stronger than a full exotic set, not counting the Infusions.

Problems:
Power creep
Gear treadmill

not to mention players who love playing alts and different builds are essentially punished, and all that work which players put into getting exotics (on average ~120-200 hours) is equal to 0 squat diddly-flyingmonkey-all A.K.A. NOT REWARDING

but they do have infusion slots which make those runes/sigils obsolete

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!

(edited by RaGe.9834)

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Indeed. Then why would I need to buy runes/sigils then?

Ganzo.5079

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

the new ascendend gear provide a stats bonus increased to fill the lack of a rune slot so and ascendet gear is 8% more strong then an exotic item with a rune.
But… as the wiki said, the infusion provide an innate agony resistance, but we dont know the real effect of the infusion bonus. If the first bonus is applied to all the content of the game, and the you have the agony resistance when you go to the fractal, the result is the ascended gear is like:

((exotic item + rune\sigil)+8% stats) + additional rune (the infusion effect)

Now i dont know if it work like this, BUT the wiki let this road OPEN.

Because, like Guild Wars before it, GW2 doesn’t fall into the traps of traditional MMORPGs.
LOL

HiddenNick.7206

The ring is just the beginning.

You forgot to add: OF APOCALYPSE!!! I just couldn’t resist

Eventually there will be a full Ascended set. And that’s 8,5% stronger than a full exotic set

Count that again… Becouse you are not counting base stats. And before that how is it that blue being weeker then exotic does not bother you? Or stats on items in general…

Infusions.

Which is basically mechanic. Just like having specific weapon set or skill at a given point (like boss fight).

Gear is scaled by a percentage so a lvl 80 player with Ascended gear downscaled to 30 will be stronger than a lvl 80 player with Exotic gear downscaled to 30.

So maybe they should chagne that instead? Just a crazy thought…

HiddenNick.7206

One more thing… Does anyone know how is the ting acquired?

Maybe it is free in some vendor? Or 100% drop after killing certain boss?

It’s just to many it “CAN BE BAD” and to few it “IS BAD”.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

You are just being silly…

100% drop after killing a certain boss? Geez, I for sure do NOT feel like the gold I’ve dumped into my new exotic rings was wasted at all. Really.

Posted by: RaGe.9834

RaGe.9834

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Infusion

the new ascendend gear provide a stats bonus increased to fill the lack of a rune slot so and ascendet gear is 8% more strong then an exotic item with a rune.
But… as the wiki said, the infusion provide an innate agony resistance, but we dont know the real effect of the infusion bonus. If the first bonus is applied to all the content of the game, and the you have the agony resistance when you go to the fractal, the result is the the ascended gear is like:

((exotic item + rune\sigil)+8% stats) + additional rune (the infusion effect)

Now i dont know if it work like this, BUT the wiki let this road OPEN.

8% stronger if you do the math is actually a 26% difference
Base Power is 916
Power from full Berserker’s is 1001
Precision from full Berserker’s is 696
Critdmg from full Berserker’s is 62%
Power from 5x Scholar Rune + 1x Divinity is 175
Precision from 1x Divinity is 10
Critdmg from 5x Scholar Rune + 1x Divinity is 10%
Traits on a glasscannon build might give around 300 power, 200 precision, 20% critdmg (just an example)

So you get:

2392 power
906 precision above base
92% critdmg above base

906 precision are around 43% critchance +4% base critchance = 47%

Average dmg with crits compared to without crits: 0,47*1,42 + 1 = 1,6674 = 1,67

When Ascended gear increases gear stats by 8% that’s: 80 power and 56 precision. Critdmg seems to increase more (look at the bonus on MF, let’s say it’s same increase on critdmg in worst case, so ~42%) → Critdmg would go to 26% (I actually doubt it’ll be THAT much)

So you will have 2472/2392 = 1,0334 → 3,34% increased dmg cause of power and

0,5*1,68 + 1 = 1,84

→ 1,84/1,67 = 1,10 = 10% increase cause of crits

→ 1,0334*1,10 = 1,137 → 13,7% increase at most (when critdmg really increases by a freaking 42% and not 8%)

Get your facts straight!

What are you a jock?…. get out, This is nerd landia, where nerds gather!

Posted by: phooka.4295

phooka.4295

Sure, the ~600 hours dumped into getting several sets of gear so far have been / will be devalued to zero. Arenanet once promised to honor the players’ time. Well, they kitten don’t give a flying kitten about the time I already invested, blindly trusting the lies they spread in their “manifesto” and similar texts.

Overreacting?

Depends. I’m mad as hell if I think about the lost hours. I’ll not overreact, though. I’ll give them once last chance. If they break any more promises that are important to me, I’m simply gone. In the meantime, I’ll surely not re-enter my credit-card information.

HiddenNick.7206

Sure, the ~600 hours dumped into getting several sets of gear so far have been / will be devalued to zero. Arenanet once promised to honor the players’ time. Well, they kitten don’t give a flying kitten about the time I already invested, blindly trusting the lies they spread in their “manifesto” and similar texts.

Overreacting?

Depends. I’m mad as hell if I think about the lost hours. I’ll not overreact, though. I’ll give them once last chance. If they break any more promises that are important to me, I’m simply gone. In the meantime, I’ll surely not re-enter my credit-card information.

So you those 600hours was work for you? Or fun? If it was fun then what’s the problem?

Posted by: Ironcloud.3892

Ironcloud.3892

Why does everyone seem to miss the “This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity”?

Remember that legendaries (For the average player at least) take months to obtain…

Posted by: Bardes.1870

Bardes.1870

It’s just to many it “CAN BE BAD” and to few it “IS BAD”.

“available through all sorts of content around the world” – by Studio Design Director

So where and how you got your exo gears, you’ll get asc gears from them then.

HiddenNick.7206

Get your facts straight!

Dude, crit chance and crit dmg stat increses logarithmically… Not like other stats.

HiddenNick.7206

“available through all sorts of content around the world” – by Studio Design Director

I don’t get it…

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Problems:
Power creep
Gear treadmill

Hit the brakes BEFORE the car hits the wall.

This in a nutshell.
It is vertical progression when we bought the game on the premise of horizontal progression.
Exotic was supposed to be the top tier and that was supposed to be the end.
It was why this game appealed to a lot of players with lives, knowing that if you can’t play for some time, your char will still be there, your gear will still be the best and you can just pick up where you left off.
It is not that hard to understand really.

Gunnar’s Hold

HiddenNick.7206

Remember that legendaries (For the average player at least) take months to obtain…

And exotics are very easy to obtain… So it either months or day and a half…

Bardes.1870

Why does everyone seem to miss the “This new rarity type falls between Exotic and Legendary on the spectrum of rarity”?

The riskless way is — full set of legendaries. Then you no longer need to fear Anet to break their promise (such as the forcasted Tier 2 ascended gears ….) again and again.

….. unless there will be T2 legendaries ……

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

Ascended are never the beginning of the gear treadmill.
They already clarify it in the previous topic.

It’s more of like a remedy to the current gear progression mechanic which makes so many players ended up with a wall and nothing else to do. Their goal and intention isn’t to make a gear treadmill where they release a stronger tier every update.

Don’t judge what staircase they’re going to make by just seeing the first plank. If not, you’re over-reacting. Most likely, there will be different kinds of progression every major updates. Example: Nov – Gear progression, Feb – Mount progression, May – Housing progression, Aug – xxxxxx progression. So no worries. GW2 staircase is going to be different from traditional mmo. A colourful one that other games have not made.

Progression is vital for every mmo.
It makes players feel like doing X/Y/Z each time they login.
Have faith in them and see.

phooka.4295

So you those 600hours was work for you? Or fun? If it was fun then what’s the problem?

It was fun to build that castle in the sand-box as a child. It was frustrating when someone came and knocked it over.

Crude and childish analogies aside, the greatest feeling I ever had in this game was when I got my last exotic. Total freedom. There was nothing that I couldn’t theoretically do and at the same time, there was nothing that I could possibly have to do in order to do something else.

Then along comes assaulted gear and with it the exact opposite feeling.

Sure, most of the time was fun. But some of it was less fun, yet still rewarding because I knew that it would soon grant me the freedom described above. You see, I, too, strive for certain things in the game. Those are (1) cosmetics and (2) the freedom I described. They’ve taken the latter from me and I’m not even going to farm cosmetics now, knowing that I’ll soon have to spend cash for fine transmutation stones if I want to keep the looks on the next tier of equipment that’s already announced (even though no ETA is given so far).

(edited by phooka.4295)

Bardes.1870

I don’t get it…

You might get them from drops, chest loots, dungeon tokens (new dungeons) or maybe crafting as well.

HiddenNick.7206

It was why this game appealed to a lot of players with lives, knowing that if you can’t play for some time, your char will still be there, your gear will still be the best and you can just pick up where you left off.

Dude they invented level skaling! Just to make you happy… To make you happy again it will just take some more invention.

HiddenNick.7206

Ascended are never the beginning of the gear treadmill.
They already clarify it in the previous topic.

It’s more of like a remedy to the current gear progression mechanic which makes so many players ended up with a wall and nothing else to do. Their goal and intention isn’t to make a gear treadmill where they release a stronger tier every update.

Don’t judge what staircase they’re going to make by just seeing the first plank. If not, you’re over-reacting. Most likely, there will be different kinds of progression every major updates. Example: Nov – Gear progression, Feb – Mount progression, May – Housing progression, Aug – xxxxxx progression. So no worries. GW2 staircase is going to be different from traditional mmo. A colourful one that other games have not made.

THANK YOU!

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Get your facts straight!

And your(& all the others) useless BS Maths are based on one pink ring!

NOT only is everybody overreacting, but the hysterical exaggerations are making sure there can be no fruitful dialog with the DEVs about it.

Well done.

Polish > hype

Morrigan.2809

Dude they invented level skaling! Just to make you happy… To make you happy again it will just take some more invention.

What does level scaling have to do with it? (girl btw)
What would make me happy is if they gave ascended armour the same stats as exotics and just added an infusion slot-ta da!
you can mitigate agony, don’t create power creep and introduce new mechanics via infusion slots without alienating your players.
Win win.

Gunnar’s Hold

HiddenNick.7206

Crude and childish analogies aside, the greatest feeling I ever had in this game was when I got my last exotic. Total freedom. There was nothing that I couldn’t theoretically do and at the same time, there was nothing that I could possibly have to do in order to do something else.

A have my blues and there is nothing that I can’t do… It’s your mind playing with you saying that you can’t start playing the game before working in the game.

HiddenNick.7206

What does level scaling have to do with it? (girl btw)
What would make me happy is if they gave ascended armour the same stats as exotics and just added an infusion slot-ta da!
you can mitigate agony, don’t create power creep and introduce new mechanics via infusion slots without alienating your players.
Win win.

Nope… Your exotics without infusion slot are still (you know what).

Posted by: showatt.9413

showatt.9413

Oh nos….everything’s coming to an end….oh nos….treadmills is coming….power creep is coming….change is coming…oh nos….

Seriously, Change the kitten record.

HiddenNick.7206

NOT only is everybody overreacting, but the hysterical exaggerations are making sure there can be no fruitful dialog with the DEVs about it.

Well done.

Exactly!

Ganzo.5079

Get your facts straight!

Well done.

i dont do precise math, but i used a logical scheme…
In the blog post its remarked that the bonus provided by ascended item is major then the bonus provided exotics item + a rune\jewel\sigil, and devs dont clarify some critical point, and instead they leave some door wide opened.

LOL

phooka.4295

You see, I knew very well what to do when I logged on. I don’t need the carrot to be on a stick to start walking. I’ll rather chew on it while going where I want to go.

However, I, too, will not invest lots of time to get something that I’ll ditch soon after. So I’ll not do anything that’ll be “working towards an exotic” in any way, shape or form. I’d do dungeon runs, yes. Dungeons are what’s most fun for me. However, since my last dungeon runs were all marred by bugs, I’m not inclined to go there before they are fixed.

So since the anouncement of abandoned gear, I didn’t log on anymore.

Receiving anything that would have been nice to have because it meant another step towards highest-level-gear would only remind me of how betrayed I feel, so I’d rather avoid that. Getting my alt to 80 would remind me of how futile equipping him would be, so I’ll rather not even level him to 80 to avoid being confronted with what I know will be a sad feeling.

Thanks ArenaNet.

HiddenNick.7206

One more thing…

What does level scaling have to do with it?

Just that you underestimate ANT.

HawkMeister.4758

Win win.

Wrong wrong.
That would make ascendant armor inferior as it can´t be upgraded with sigils&runes.

Infusion is useless outside of the Fractal, thus all the alienation is uninformed and overhyped.

Polish > hype

Posted by: Jnaathra.6549

Jnaathra.6549

Generally people do not like to be lied to. I don’t see why this is so shocking.

Bardes.1870

Win win.

Wrong wrong.
That would make ascendant armor inferior as it can´t be upgraded with sigils&runes.

Infusion is useless outside of the Fractal, thus all the alienation is uninformed and overhyped.

Who told you they can’t be upgraded with sigil and rune?

HawkMeister.4758

Win win.

Wrong wrong.

The effin´ pink ring.
The only real fact that kitten pic is good for, and those kittening vague devblogs

Polish > hype

Posted by: AW Lore.5682

AW Lore.5682

@bardes
the fact that the slot says precisely “infusion slot upgrade”, so if its saying infusion slot, it most likely will be exlcusive from upgrade slot. ascendant armor for infusions and exotic armors for sigils/runes

phooka.4295

ArenaNet did.

Read the blogpost. Stay current on the Devtracker. Get informed. It’s tiring to explain the same well known facts over and over again. The information is out there, all under the domain “guildwars2.com”. Please read up on it.

Morrigan.2809

Win win.

Wrong wrong.

I meant exotic armour as is with just an infusion slot added.
That way ascended armour stays useful for the purpose of mitigation needed in the new dungeon without introducing powercreep. For all intents and purposes it would revert to exotics outside of the dungeon.

Gunnar’s Hold

Bardes.1870

Win win.

Wrong wrong.

The effin´ pink ring.
The only real fact that kitten pic is good for, and those kittening vague devblogs

Again, where did you read that the Infusions won’t be able to affact general PvE or WvW?

Nothing you posted were mentioned by blog post or Chris.

HiddenNick.7206

Generally people do not like to be lied to. I don’t see why this is so shocking.

You don’t get my point… I don’t think they were lied to.

How is the pink ring making their exotic armor any weeker then before?

For me trademill and adding a purple ring once a month are just two different things. Are you shocked that I’m thinking this way?

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Not progression. Expansion. MMOs need to grow, but it doesn’t necessarily mean vertical progression. That is only one of possible models – a model we were promised will NOT be in this game.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

HawkMeister.4758

Win win.

Wrong wrong.

The effin´ pink ring.

Again, where did you read that the Infusions won’t be able to affact general PvE or WvW?

Nothing you posted were mentioned by blog post or Chris.

Again, where did you read that it will?

Polish > hype

phooka.4295

For me trademill and adding a purple ring once a month are just two different things. Are you shocked that I’m thinking this way?

Sigh.

Please, could you, too, read up on all the information that was given so far before posting uninformed opinions that are, sorry, either false or misleading?

For one:

The ring doesn’t make any weapon or armor obsolete. Weapons and armor with superior stats will do so. And it’s been said officially that there will eventually be a complete ascended set. So ascended weapons and armor will come. That’s a given. It’s announced. It’s in the blogpost.

Now, you can ignore the facts, plant your fingers in your ears and pretend that it’s only a ring. But please don’t sully conversations between others with misinformation.

But what’s worse:

The rings already render one profession (juwelcrafting) pretty useless. Would you still buy an exotic ring on the TP that’s more expensive than exotic armor? It requires more (expensive) materials, so the higher price is justified. But noone will want to pay that money now that better rings are around the corner, coming from some dungeon.

So the rings already hurt the economy. The damage is done before the patch is even life.

Bardes.1870

From blog post
“Eventually, you’ll be able to kit yourself out with a full set of Ascended gear and high end Infusions to help give you the edge in end game content.”

While 1 asc ring is already 8% better than exo ring, any logical prodiction can lead to a result — full set asc gears must be better than full set exo gears; and it will happen eventuallly.

More question, once those boring, asking for more things to farm players have full set asc gears, what can Anet do then?

Yeah, Tier 2 asc gears ….. then welcome to another wow-like treadmill world.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

You see, I knew very well what to do when I logged on. I don’t need the carrot to be on a stick to start walking. I’ll rather chew on it while going where I want to go.

Progression doesn’t mean chasing after a carrot on the stick.
Treadmill is.

Yes, they already let you chew the carrot.
That’s what the game already is.

Now, what happen after you ate up the whole carrot?
You’ll ask for more. After you ate the carrot, you want another bigger carrot. That is progression. If there’s no more carrot, players get impatient and leave. It’s part of human nature. That’s what mmorpg’ers wants. After each goal is achieve, there must be another goal and not a wall. If there’s a wall, it’s the same as console games.

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I think it is time to go to the window and yell “I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it”

There was to be no gear after exotic because legendaries have the same stats as exotic.
the simple fact that legendaires are being buffed to ascend status directly implies a new tier plain and simple. It is a bait and switch and not nice to do. Thankfully I got my monies worth and will put Anet on my do not buy list anymore.

Posted by: Flynch.6034

Flynch.6034

Sigh.

Please, could you, too, read up on all the information that was given so far before posting uninformed opinions that are, sorry, either false or misleading?

For one:

The ring doesn’t make any weapon or armor obsolete. Weapons and armor with superior stats will do so. And it’s been said officially that there will eventually be a complete ascended set. So ascended weapons and armor will come. That’s a given. It’s announced. It’s in the blogpost.

Now, you can ignore the facts, plant your fingers in your ears and pretend that it’s only a ring. But please don’t sully conversations between others with misinformation.

But what’s worse:

The rings already render one profession (juwelcrafting) pretty useless. Would you still buy an exotic ring on the TP that’s more expensive than exotic armor? It requires more (expensive) materials, so the higher price is justified. But noone will want to pay that money now that better rings are around the corner, coming from some dungeon.

So the rings already hurt the economy. The damage is done before the patch is even life.

Except that, you know, there’re 200 new recipes coming along with this new gear, and if Anet have any sense (and I’d wager the have a magnitude of more sense than the current forum-goers) they will have recipes that include better runes etc that can be used on Exotics to make them en-par with the Ascended gear.

Not only allowing for greater build customization for your characters, but also making sure the Exotics are not obsolete and helping the crafting out too.

But then again, everyone is throwing the baby out with the bathwater on this one so yeah, /popcorn i guess.