I think we need Capes

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I mean – it’s all over the place in the concept art. Here’s some examples :

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Legacy_of_the_Foefire_loading_screen.jpg
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Forest_of_Niflhel_loading_screen.jpg

Are those backpacks? No.
Do they look awesome? YES! So why not bring them back? They seem to be a huge fan favorite.

I guess it may be because of all the clipping involved in GW2? They still didn’t fix most of the issues for low-ress textures(armour) and clipping for classes like charrs and asuras, so I doubt that capes would be their priority right now. =(

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Kveldulf.7605

Kveldulf.7605

Are those backpacks? No.
Do they look awesome? YES! So why not bring them back? They seem to be a huge fan favorite.

I guess it may be because of all the clipping involved in GW2? They still didn’t fix most of the issues for low-ress textures(armour) and clipping for classes like charrs and asuras, so I doubt that capes would be their priority right now. =(

woah there…you almost sound like Anet is fixing problems before bringing stuff O.o

Kveldulf Frost – Thief (Charr)
Wlaadas Frost – Warrior (Charr) Torlic Frost – Guardian (Norn)
http://amalthea-gw2.de

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Odinius.9826

Odinius.9826

Something I put in another Cape thread a couple of months ago:

“It really is time for capes imo, my ascended armor is screaming for one!
I understand that there are a lot of clipping issues, but I’ve come up with an idea that will eliminate most of the clipping issues although it will make the capes a bit less traditional.
This will be a nice option for the four humanoid races, and I hope they come up with something cool for all you Charr lovers.
Maybe add an option to stand upright like some of the Charr in EotN did?
Capes have to be divers enough that not every player walks around with the same one.
Would be nice if we could craft them or get them as special reward of the living story (like all other backitems)
Below is an example of what I mean, watch out for my superior drawing skills”

Attachments:

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Something I put in another Cape thread a couple of months ago:

“It really is time for capes imo, my ascended armor is screaming for one!
I understand that there are a lot of clipping issues, but I’ve come up with an idea that will eliminate most of the clipping issues although it will make the capes a bit less traditional.
This will be a nice option for the four humanoid races, and I hope they come up with something cool for all you Charr lovers.
Maybe add an option to stand upright like some of the Charr in EotN did?
Capes have to be divers enough that not every player walks around with the same one.
Would be nice if we could craft them or get them as special reward of the living story (like all other backitems)
Below is an example of what I mean, watch out for my superior drawing skills”

Real nice idea.

Other more simple idea would be race specific capes, which fit their anatomy. They would basically work like race armor then.

While it would be easy for all humanoid races to share the same structure.

Charr however, could have their own style. Maybe even a cape that has a split in the lower region, so the tail would still be able to move.
Or just have a shorter cape in general, so that kind of clipping wouldn`t occour.
Though it would still have to cling to the body for the four limbs movement, but that could be made easier.

If nothing works, there could still be retractable capes. We have holo-tech and machinery. Just have the capes unfold if the character is not running.
If he goes into running-mode it could retreact and even Charr wouldn`t have a problem.

It would also be so cool to have a Charr run and jump from a cliff into battle and his cape unfold, just before he unleashes hell

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Scratch.9402

Scratch.9402

(edited by Scratch.9402)

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Poisonwell.1209

Poisonwell.1209

Lineage 2 got his cape after 5 years maybe more ..

Funny thing is GW2 and L2 have a slot for capes and was only years later that they did…

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

An other way for embarrassing and pathetic cliping fails? especially for charr? Why not?

Clipping is only embarrassing and pathetic if a set clips with itself. Admittedly, this does happen quite a few times in GW2 – particularly when the character moves and especially for Charr.

It is not embarrassing when mix-and-match clips, because the developers can’t possibly account for every instance of mix-and-match. And mix-and-match is precisely what a back piece could be considered in every circumstance.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: One Prarie Outpost.4860

One Prarie Outpost.4860

I want a cape for my mount that I tether to a post in front of my house that is furnished inside with all my trophies, weapons and armor….

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Lupanic.6502

Lupanic.6502

with a cap my hobosack is not viewable. So please no caps. I play an engineer.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Furesy.6935

Furesy.6935

Capes? Oh, would buy…………

Attachments:

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

Capes? Oh, would buy…………

Woah, forget the capes, I want that coat-like armour for heavy class!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Stramatus.5219

Stramatus.5219

This game not having capes because of the Charr is a travesty.

I would love having capes back.

Sir Helvidius | Sir Beregond | Proud Ascalonian Humans
“Remember The Searing. We never forget, and never forgive.” – Family Motto

I think we need Capes

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Tera’s idea for capes was rather well done. Maybe we should take a page out of their book. They did a nice job with the split down the middle to allow no clipping on tails and had it taken back a little bit to prevent bad clipping issues.

Attachments:

I think we need Capes

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

I remember these concepts from the pre-release days. Always thought they would work regardless of the “Non-human model” problem.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

Sincerely , i think cape in GW2 is a very bad idea. At least until they figure a way to transfer more workload to the GPU. Currently things like shadows , reflections are done by the CPU and the game already hit kitten the CPU.

Unfortunately the capes enter the Animations graphic option( controls model animations and simulations, such as cloth and water , low,mid,high) Introducing capes in the game will require even more CPU power. Imagine a WvW fight with everyone in capes ? The minis are hidden for a reason when there is too much players around.

Finally , how do you manage the capes + back piece + shield + engineer hobo sack ??

NO capes

I think we need Capes

Duke Blackrose.4981

Sincerely , i think cape in GW2 is a very bad idea. At least until they figure a way to transfer more workload to the GPU. Currently things like shadows , reflections are done by the CPU and the game already hit kitten the CPU.

Unfortunately the capes enter the Animations graphic option( controls model animations and simulations, such as cloth and water , low,mid,high) Introducing capes in the game will require even more CPU power. Imagine a WvW fight with everyone in capes ? The minis are hidden for a reason when there is too much players around.

Finally , how do you manage the capes + back piece + shield + engineer hobo sack ??

NO capes

Capes would constitute back pieces. So there is no managing of capes + back piece + shield + engineer hobo sack. We already have that technology.

Now, if the CPU workload of having cape back pieces in WvW is really so high, that only implies that the game needs a wider range of graphics customization. For WvW, there’s really no happy medium between attractive + graphics intensive and “looks like a load of crap,” and we could really benefit from more options here.

I would suggest more advanced graphics sliders to dictate everything that you wish to be disabled or diminished:
Max players viewed
Minis
Particle slider
Legendary particles
Advanced animations (such as cloth animations)
Etc.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

I DEMAND capes! Yeah I know charr, and clipping and stuff…Capes clipped and sometimes behaved strange(looking at you assassin)in GW1, they will do that here too, I’m sure they could do it, it’s just matter of time and a little push from here.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Light.7493

Light.7493

+1 capes
/15 Rytlocks

I think we need Capes

Duke Blackrose.4981

I DEMAND capes! Yeah I know charr, and clipping and stuff…Capes clipped and sometimes behaved strange(looking at you assassin)in GW1, they will do that here too, I’m sure they could do it, it’s just matter of time and a little push from here.

To be fair, Assassin armors in Guild Wars 1 were also beyond terrible. Every other class at least had some kind of coherent sense of style. Assassins were just “I got in a fight with a knife store and lost.”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: GOSU.9574

GOSU.9574

and the chant will go out among the Charr: “More drapes, not capes!”

Hey dude you are walking into a wall.

smack..Wut?…smack…smack…

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Phenn.5167

Phenn.5167

With the paucity of pants in light armor, the omnipresent overcoats in medium armor, and the boat-load of buttcapes in all armor, I have my “cape” itch scratched.

In all seriousness, though, I’d rather see more imaginative armors than a sheet of cloth obscuring one entire side of my toon…

Personal taste and all that, though.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Are those backpacks? No.

They would if they put them in the gem store.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

I think we need Capes

Duke Blackrose.4981

With the paucity of pants in light armor, the omnipresent overcoats in medium armor, and the boat-load of buttcapes in all armor, I have my “cape” itch scratched.

In all seriousness, though, I’d rather see more imaginative armors than a sheet of cloth obscuring one entire side of my toon…

Personal taste and all that, though.

What are you even talking about with buttcapes in all armor? There are only like 4-5 of them in Heavy. In fact, Heavy could use quite a few more.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Sorean.5379

Sorean.5379

ArenaNet would be swimming in money if they release capes in the Gem Store,people would buy it no matter the price. 800 gems seems about right.

And if they find out a way to create capes that are not CPU-heavy and they overcome the problem that is preventing them from creating capes,the rest would be just SO easy,because,well,there is no much thinking in designing a cape,they could just release a white cape that can be dyed and with the guild emblem on it,ta-da,infinite ways of creating a cape with only 1 model made,and with the amazing “item designers” (sorry I don’t know what they are called,but you get it…the people that create items like Zephyr backpiece etc) they would create it in a blink of an eye

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

To the anti-cape comments… Opinion on style is completely irrelevant in this conversation, as it would not be forced on anyone. I think the most of the new back items are hideous, but no one is making me wear one so its all good.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

I liked the capes in Guild Wars, especially since the art and animation teams got such a fluid “flow” to the fabric. (Actually, other game designers asked how it was done, back in the day!)

I imagine there would be challenges in incorporating capes, and naturally a cape would cover some of the armor pieces, which is a drawback when you’ve worked hard to get the whole “look” going on. As mentioned, it was brought up in the CDI, so that’s good.

Paradox — I’m curious. Why do you say “no capes?”

If not capes, how about long scarves?

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I liked the capes in Guild Wars, especially since the art and animation teams got such a fluid “flow” to the fabric. (Actually, other game designers asked how it was done, back in the day!)

I imagine there would be challenges in incorporating capes, and naturally a cape would cover some of the armor pieces, which is a drawback when you’ve worked hard to get the whole “look” going on. As mentioned, it was brought up in the CDI, so that’s good.

About the bit I bolded: So, cape covering some of the armor pieces is one of the things that might be involved in them not being implemented, huh?
Why do Engineers have Kit backpacks/Hobosacks, then? You know the ones – ruin a look the user’s tried hard to get, can’t even be customized, clip through or override existing back items many of which are rewards for meta-achievement completion…there’s a thread specifically about them on the Engineer boards. It’s been on, or near, the front page for most of its nearly two-year tenure, with more than a thousand posts.
For a game with such an emphasis on cosmetics, it’s honestly baffling that nothing’s been done about this. The balance concerns could easily be offset by the Standard Enemy Model system, or by implementing things like sound clips, boon badges, and better in-hand/weapon-style tells, but instead, this has been seemingly ignored for far too long.

In short: Either Capes and Hobosacks are bad things because they cover armor and ruin a ‘look,’ or there’s no problem with either.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Jandopo.2107

Jandopo.2107

With all the other clipping and errors in this game (that will never get fixed I’m sure) I think that no one who still plays the game would care about this except some particularly anal designer. It CANNOT be the reason we do not have capes it is just so utterly stupid.

I was thinking the same thing. Especially considering all the huge oversized backpacks they just put into the game that obscure armor and cover up weapons.

I agree with them.

Capes are a must.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Khandarus.2738

Khandarus.2738

As a Charr and anets issues with making backpieces that fit them already, I prefer not to have this disaster happen.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

About the bit I bolded: So, cape covering some of the armor pieces is one of the things that might be involved in them not being implemented, huh?
Why do Engineers have Kit backpacks/Hobosacks, then? You know the ones – ruin a look the user’s tried hard to get, can’t even be customized, clip through or override existing back items many of which are rewards for meta-achievement completion…there’s a thread specifically about them on the Engineer boards. It’s been on, or near, the front page for most of its nearly two-year tenure, with more than a thousand posts.
For a game with such an emphasis on cosmetics, it’s honestly baffling that nothing’s been done about this. The balance concerns could easily be offset by the Standard Enemy Model system, or by implementing things like sound clips, boon badges, and better in-hand/weapon-style tells, but instead, this has been seemingly ignored for far too long.

In short: Either Capes and Hobosacks are bad things because they cover armor and ruin a ‘look,’ or there’s no problem with either.

Yeah, though I hate to ‘call’ Gaile out on this, I was thinking the same thing.

ANet seems to understand the importance of end game looks, and how capes might affect that. But they seemingly don’t get how engineers feel about having their backpieces covered up by hobosacks.

Just think about how many of the LS rewards have been backpieces and then think about how Engineers don’t even get to enjoy that.

And I’m sure this same issue would exist if capes were introduced. Engineers wouldn’t get to enjoy them either.

On a side note, I’d love to grab the Job-o-Tron backpiece for my Engie. I always loved that dude, but I won’t purchase it because I know the issue of hobosacks will ruin it on him.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

takes a drink

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Capes could be end game looks. It could be very hard and awesome to make a terrific looking cape!

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Baktwerel.9108

Baktwerel.9108

I deliver the images of capes, if like me, people do not see the links appear.

I think the back could be in great cape! diverces or styles of coats. Even coat with hoods!
We can find full of ideas for adding in Accessories. Personally, I’ve always loved wearing the cape on gw1. Especially in the snow maps.

Hey, I’m the artist behind those cape concepts. I’ve only posted them at the GW2 Guru forums and a good while ago too (before release I think?). I was really surprised to see it still circulating in cape related topics, this makes me happy.
I really wish we had a variation of capes like those. The idea behind them was that even if we play as a nonhuman race or have clipping-potential armors eqipped, we could still try to pick other designs that work with our current character. Be it a huge cape, a fashionable scarf or just a buttcape if you are into that xD Thanks for posting my doodles, I hope some Anet devs will see them and the other pictures posted in this thread!

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

Dearest Gaile, capes would be an optional back piece of course! On top of that I put together an ugly comparison of how much the GW1 cape took up on a character compared to some GW2 back items. Also, I would like to point out that the default icon for the back slot IS A CAPE!

Holy crap, someone found one of my super old Topaz screenshots (im that warrior lol)

The good ol days of TexMod, and being able to customize the textures on your armor yourself :P

http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/service-texmod-armor-topazing-t10181123.html

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

(edited by Zietlogik.6208)

I think we need Capes

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

Because there are no capes. Grenth’s Hood has a miniature cape like fabric, but that’s more like the annoying piece of your precious armor covering sadness, than a cool cape that a lot of people would use by will, with happiness.

Don’t you think it is OUR call to wear a cape or not?
Gaile, we both work in the same buisness. I think the players, aka Customers needs their hunger feed properly => Give what they want, lore-friendly (AN broke this line by far anyway…), don’t enforce fashion-trends that makes people look like clones.

The another explanation of why there are no cakes was “Clipping, charr tails, etc..”
Seriously… it is not a problem. If it is on GW2’s engine, then it misses some essentials.

It’s time to let fabrics behave like fabrics anyway, it may solves some animation-clipping right now but most of us end up having way too big butts or just bad character shapes.

P.s.: Any news on graphics update comming?

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

I think we need Capes

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I’d love to have capes and cloaks in the game, not just because of GW1, but because it would fit the game’s medieval thematic.

And because cloaks and capes look awesome

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Finally, the question arose again.
We already have fabric which correctly recognize surface. For example hemline of draconic helm. I think to get around difficulties like tails of charrs will not be so difficult for developers. If they would only want…

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

I think we need stoles. Preferably fur.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

Not before engineers can choose to display back items instead of hobo sacks. Not before.

Then again, I don’t particularly like capes, they’re impractical and generally look like bed sheets sewn on your back. To make truly epic capes, you’d have to attach them to shoulder armor.

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

I deliver the images of capes, if like me, people do not see the links appear.

I think the back could be in great cape! diverces or styles of coats. Even coat with hoods!
We can find full of ideas for adding in Accessories. Personally, I’ve always loved wearing the cape on gw1. Especially in the snow maps.

THESE!!

Wish ANet would make some equipment based on these concept arts, especially the real long SCARFS, which actually really look like scarfs you know, and not like dumb face masks.

Please, give us some real long SCARFS that trail in the air as we run around Pretty please. if they have then also our guild symbols on, even better

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

If you truly feel this way, then way arnt you fixing Engineers backs/Legendaries?

SAB or RIOT

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

If the clipping problems from the first Guild Wars ever get fixed, then it would be great. Until that happens, a Cape would just be annoying.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

Yeah, if you add capes to the game, PLEASE just make them drop into the regular backpiece slot, not some new “cape” stat slot. We really don’t need a whole new piece of Ascended gear added to the game.

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Kveldulf.7605

Kveldulf.7605

If the clipping problems from the first Guild Wars ever get fixed, then it would be great. Until that happens, a Cape would just be annoying.

If you had a Charr you’d be running around naked…

I liked those capes that were posted here. All of them! Great work!
I would love to see capes in game!

Kveldulf Frost – Thief (Charr)
Wlaadas Frost – Warrior (Charr) Torlic Frost – Guardian (Norn)
http://amalthea-gw2.de

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

Capes would be game changing. Potent end game content, a lot of time should be dedicated to this.

Or…….the time is used wisely to expand the game, it’s modes, fix bugs especially the ones that have been in game since launch. Yeah, I am thinking that is much better than flappy tablecloths flowing off someone’s back.

It doesn’t take dozens of game designers to make a cape. That’s the Animator’s job. They could be developed independently.

I think we need Capes

Posted by: Sir Egil The Bull.7869

Sir Egil The Bull.7869

If you had a Charr you’d be running around naked…

Never assume

I think we need Capes

Posted by: aerial.7021

aerial.7021

Okay this “clipping” problem is just something we have to deal with in ALL 3d games until technologies are developed to combat the problem, a cape is a dynamic fluid object it moves and shifts about, try it out yourself the next time you hop out of the shower with your towel, notice how it collides with the objects around it.

Everything it can collide with has to be made into a collision area, and once you start down that path you’ve an almost infinite amount of areas you’ve got to make in order to make one cape not clip through, once your at that point you’re consuming processing power at a hideous rate, and we’re just talking about ‘you’ the player we’ve not even begun to start calculating anyone around you who also has a cape.

Everything in the 3d world is a trade off, if you want to have a cape then the trade off is some clipping will happen period.

Server: Gate of Madness

I think we need Capes

Black Frog.9274

I think we need tuxedoes. What could be better for defeating evil after 6 pm?

I think we need Capes

Black Frog.9274

And stiletto heels for the ladies (or men who are so inclined) to jab into the necks of those who would oppress us

I think we need Capes

Black Frog.9274

And tap shoes. I would dearly love to tap my way to victory in WvW