I've redesigned the UI & the official website

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: amax.8034

amax.8034

Hi guys,

I’m a Senior UX UI designer and I’ve been playing GW2 since the betas, with long breaks in-between and since I’ve spent quite a lot of hours with this game, I’ve noticed some flaws in the games UX (user experience) and thus I decided to tackle it in order to diversify my portfolio. This lead me to redesigning some of the in-game UI’s & the official website.

About the project
The project started last summer, as I was redesigning my portfolio website, I wanted to take a break from my regular website design so I started redesigning the GW2 official website, since I missed working on a more creative & artsy website. This last holiday season I had a few days free so I decided to continue this project and tackle the in-game UI’s since I wasn’t really a fan of how some things were currently done.

What I’ve redesigned

• Looking for Group Panel & the related tabs
  • Character Panel
  • Guild Tab
  • The Story Journal & the related tabs
  • Created a Lore Journal & related tabs

The Entire Design in PDF format – Horizontal layout

The Entire Design in JPG format – Vertical layout

Note
There are a lot of explanations that point out to different things & the reason behind my design decisions. The entire project took roughly 2-3 weeks, so It could be better, but unfortunately I don’t have access to actual game or player data and I kinda ran out of free time.

Hope you enjoy.

UPDATE:
Since some of you wanted to see how this would look in-game, I made a quick in-game prototype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUHYOEGKtJs

In case some of you are interested in seeing the behind the scenes process like the research, sketches, what I learned and so on, feel free to check out the link from my portfolio.
http://builtbyg.com/portfolio/guild-wars-2-redesign

(edited by amax.8034)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

OMG

divine job.
ANet has to see this and get it into the game, these panels are somewhat alot better, than the current versions, especially your redesign of the Hero Panel UI

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

OMG

divine job.
ANet has to see this and get it into the game, these panels are somewhat alot better, than the current versions, especially your redesign of the Hero Panel UI

I like some parts, but really don’t like the Hero Panel UI. Way too crowded for my taste. I think there’s way too much images on that screen. I couldn’t even find the weapons at first… The same with the Guild Panel. No need to show images per user, it only takes away readability.

I do like the story journal though and especially the lore journal. There, the images really make sense and make it come alive.

Posted by: amax.8034

amax.8034

@ Orpheal Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed them. The Hero Panel UI was actually the one that made me start redesigning the UI since moving between the dyes, finishers, armor, wardrobe isn’t fun, especially when you have multiple alts #tyriafashion.

@LadyRhonwyn thank you for the feedback, glad you took the time to take a peak. It’s really hard to design something without having actual player data and a way to test things and I know that not all people will like it, that’s the deal with designs. Also due to the number of annotations present, the UI’s might look a lot more crowded. Thanks again for the feedback and for taking the time to comment.

(edited by amax.8034)

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like some of your ideas very much!

In general, I am against making every menu into a picture slideshow (I like a certain degree of just lists and tables to quickly be able to view data) but overall it looks very shiny.

I think my favorite thing in your design document is the redesigned guild panel.

I am most impressed with the presentation, too.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Man that’s pretty dope. For all those who would say this needs to be implemented in the game / site, well, there’s like a 0.01% chance of that ever happening, but still, wow, nicely done.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: MakubeC.3026

MakubeC.3026

Loved the LFG and Living Story panels.
The Hero is a little bit crowded, but I still kind of like it better than the current one.
The Guild Panel is ok too.
Excellent job overall.

Posted by: Farming Flats.5370

Farming Flats.5370

nicely done but the AP request in the LFG is not right .. why not adding class filter while you’re at it like ‘’ no ranger ’’ ? .

Posted by: Malkavian.4516

Malkavian.4516

This is actually quite beautiful. I don’t expect all of this to be integrated into the game but I surely hope that Arenanet at least takes a leaf out what you made.

FOR SKYRIM!!!!!

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This man has SKILLZ, ANet needs to hire you ^^

And whats about all this instant pessimism now about chances of implementation???
Sure is, that chances aren#t that big, that Anet would get this into the game on a 1:1 copy and paste or so, but at least ANet can get some good impressions and inspirations on how to improve significantly the UI fro the whole game.

I’m a person, who says always its better to actualyl SHOW the Devs, how to improve the game, and less talk about it, because by showing a person how you want to get something changed, its alot better and easier to understand for a developer the improvement, than when you just have a plain text concept only in front of you based on player ideas.

So thats why all of this just blew me away.
The redesigns aren’t at all too much crowded, The redesigned version of the OP actually shows exactly all of the most important things, without that you are forced to open up multiple over and underlaying windows just to be able to see all of this info, what the redesigned version here is able to perfectly show you just in 1 SINGLE WINDOW.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: Zalman.8719

Zalman.8719

Amazing job, would like to see it in game, especially the LFG and LS/story panels!

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

I love this, it looks so kitten slick, especially the UI portion.

Website is cool too but the meat and potatoes is that UI

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: cheshader.5081

cheshader.5081

I generally like your design, especially the Hero Panel (btw, is it the drop down menu for build templates I see there? sigh guess is never going to happen). Yes, it looks cluttered, but it provides most useful info in one panel while not taking what already exists there.

But I find the guild panel atrocious. All those user pics make it look like an online store or something designed for touchscreen devices. Or both.

I totally like your redesign of LFG though (surely it will be easier to hit those rectangles with a mouse xD).
Well, almost totally. I don’t like the drop down menu for swapping between dungeons, it will require 2 clicks against just 1 now.

All other stuff looks just amazing imo.

Posted by: SettusBlake.1689

SettusBlake.1689

The old Hero panel looked much better. The redesigned looks confusing.

Posted by: Incognito.3529

Incognito.3529

I like it. Especialy LFG and Lore sections.

Posted by: Kuruptz.4782

Kuruptz.4782

Why wont the links work for me :S

Posted by: sawworm.8749

sawworm.8749

Lore tab! It’s great \o/

Posted by: Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Dwaynas Avatar.1562

Anet please hire this guy

all is vain – #BelieveInKarl – #EvanForPresident

Posted by: DestroyerElf.5372

DestroyerElf.5372

Awsome! Anet should definitly take a look at this great redesign

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

Too cool to ever be implemented. GJ, but stop wasting your time :/

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Being creative is not a waste of time! Not only does this look quite cool (though I felt a little blasted by image overload ankitten ot sure how this would feel in actual game play), but it gave the OP a chance to practice skills.

Thanks for sharing and I hope that ANet takes strong note of your effort.

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Good job, looks awesome.
That being said, knowing Arena Net, and the attitude they’ve shown before regarding other great suggestions, don’t get your hopes up.

Posted by: leman.7682

leman.7682

Gaile needs to print it and immediately carry it over to Mike O’Brien.
I mean it.

Leman

Posted by: Royal Hammer.7621

Royal Hammer.7621

Absolutely awesome! ANET HIRE THIS GUY NOW!

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

hire this person!!!!

Posted by: Darketower.5218

Darketower.5218

Very good design. I especially like that the UI and the Website work together to form a cohesive “vision” for the game as a whole.

Posted by: BenGrech.3912

BenGrech.3912

Amazing. Hire him now!

Posted by: Miltek.2104

Miltek.2104

Little to cluttered.
But much much better and visual apealing than actual one.
Waiting for dev response

Trust me. I’m engineer

Posted by: Bunnikk.2146

Bunnikk.2146

There are some pretty nice changes in this. Personally I have two separate suggestions.

First, can we have a one key command that takes us directly to the equipment page and a separate key command that takes us to the “everything else” portion of the hero panel? It is so annoying when you are counting on those few seconds OOC to switch armor sets and what you get is the last random panel you logged into and the moment is lost.

Second, since you are already putting the trailers in the LS journal can you also put the cut scenes in after we complete the episode?

[RAWR] Monsters of Tyria
Monster of choice – Kitsune
Megaserver formerly known as Blackgate

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

This is probably how you get hired to work somewhere. Patent these images or something lol!

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: PeskyJNixon.8236

PeskyJNixon.8236

This is such a stupid nit-pick on an otherwise remarkable job you’ve done – its not classes in GW2, its professions.

This isn’t to take away from work that should absolutely be purchased from you by Anet for immediate consideration. I love the Lore idea, its such a central concept of the game and so much of the content could be pulled directly from the wiki to make it easier to keep up with. Bravo sir. Seriously, bravo!

Posted by: Azzer.8137

Azzer.8137

nicely done but the AP request in the LFG is not right .. why not adding class filter while you’re at it like ‘’ no ranger ’’ ? .

Well, people that say that does not know about spotter and frost spirit i guess, however try being a necromancer, often you join a group and before you know it you’re not in that group anymore at all and they all block you

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

I simply LOVED LFG and Story Journal redesign! It feels so RPG-ish! <3

If ANet put a daily reward for people who do all dungeons and all paths… omg… so much rage. They could lessen the rage by rewarding doing all paths for a single dungeon, or make this weekly so they would have time.

Btw, great ideas! +1

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

(edited by Valento.9852)

Posted by: Haseo.7964

Haseo.7964

Amazing job, and equally amazing references. Anet should at least look at this project and analyze it.

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Maybe the guy who did the previous ui layout will ragequit his job once he sees this and they will have a spot open.

Bad Elementalist

Posted by: Darkxemnas.4019

Darkxemnas.4019

WOW
I only can say that . Anet , please , think about hire this person for redesign the journal and the website . PLEASE

Posted by: Feonix.4790

Feonix.4790

This is pretty spectacular. I especially love the Lore Journal, LFG, and the website redesign.

If a Lore Journal like this was implemented into the game I think it would be amazing. Great job!

Posted by: Airewing.4369

Airewing.4369

I think your design is great and I can see that you put a lot of thought and hours into it. But.. there is always that but It is way way too flashy and I don’t think it fits the game perfectly well. Pictures are everywhere and i don’t think it is a good way for making nice and clean design. Also watch out for your fonts, less is better in most of the cases. Same goes for everything else.

Posted by: Agriope.4523

Agriope.4523

I logged in just to say that you have talent. Good luck in the tough field, I hope you get to utilize that talent of yours.

Agriope – Purple hair’d menace.
Violent Tendency [vT]; twitch.tv/agriope & YouTube Agriope
#ProfessionalNomad

Posted by: ShinsVortex.3175

ShinsVortex.3175

+1 great job i hope i could see this in the game one day….you sir are very talented

Leona Datre-80 guardian Dragon Brand [NEWL]

Posted by: xjoh.1396

xjoh.1396

REALLY like this! Great job!

Posted by: CyanShark.2709

CyanShark.2709

I got linked to this off reddit and I didn’t look at the name I just went right at looking through your art and I was super excited that an Anet developer made this then I noticed you weren’t an employee and I got depressed

Posted by: Jedge.3619

Jedge.3619

This is an amazing job. Hire this man

What a Churlundalo

Posted by: MarkPhilips.5169

MarkPhilips.5169

Gj, this is really impressive.

Posted by: NeHoMaR.9812

NeHoMaR.9812

You must know the “get used” factor it’s extremely important. If you are going to add usability to the UI, you can’t change everything radically. Also, the style of the design should make you know immediately you are in a GW2 website or ingame, being unique, and not similar at all to any other game.

Anyway, the work is good, you could even work for ArenaNet, but is easier when you design with your own tools/software than actually adding that to an existing game.

(edited by NeHoMaR.9812)

Posted by: Sublimatio.6981

Sublimatio.6981

Hire him, ANet!

Posted by: kuittaa.7360

kuittaa.7360

Amazing job and wonderful ideas. I really hope Gaile / others take a note of this, the sooner the better.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Very impressive!!!!! Hopefully you can become part of the Anet GW2 team in some way.

Would love to see a dev response on this one!

Posted by: Spirits Reloaded.3674

Spirits Reloaded.3674

Hire! Him! Now!

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

+1 ANet seriously go over this guys suggestions, get the UI people together in a room and have them go over this. And I would seriously suggest that you look at what he’s done with the Story Journal (Very good work there). Also Lore Journal!!!