I've redesigned the UI & the official website

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hanzlo.3148

Hanzlo.3148

This is amazing, i love it!

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day.Live and die on this day.
Gunnar’s Hold – [ACID]

Posted by: Adelas.6598

Adelas.6598

Ohai Anet… in case you’re taking notes:

The Story Journal redo is GORGEOUS. I see flaws in the other sections (equipment panel has no room for a charr, LFG requires more clicks, etc) but that story journal idea is perfect.

Lore Journal in game = be still my beating heart.

Seeing character portraits in the guild panel would be so nice! (if it could be also turned off.) Having “what are you doing” in guild panel would be nice if there was a “nothing/not looking for company” option for people who are paired off and don’t want more in their group, or cleaning inventory, or just sitting around.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

The Lore journal and portraits are my favorite, and the improved lfg also are very nice.

So odds of Anet taking a serious look at it? Who knows.

But if someone other than an Anet employee can improve upon their design, I would take a look and take notes. After all, we all love this game and want it to be as pretty and workable as ever right?

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Posted by: Elegy.2159

Elegy.2159

Anet please hire this guy

QFT, OP for president.

All that concept art in LFG, the lore panel….OMG.

Posted by: sdcmgs.7348

sdcmgs.7348

I do not post much, mostly a reader but I had to sign in to tell you how fantastic your design looks! Let’s hope that your ideas/design are considered and put into place! I’d love to see trailers/teasers in game. The overall design was just amazing! Thank you for sharing!

Level 80, Sylvari Necromancer
Not So Epic [HAL]

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

It’s pretty, but I think it would be unkind to my computer. I play on a laptop and the screen’s small enough that some of the stuff pushes the boundaries of what’s workable as is. Making the hero panel larger would cause people in my situation some problems.

I think that’s why they have it split up as they do. Still, it looks awesome.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: purecontact.1680

purecontact.1680

You’ve done a really great job!

I may change some things in hero panel because it’s very confusing, I got way too much information on the screen.
I’m not a designer at all and got respect for what you’ve done but why did you move menu from left to right ?
Wouldn’t be this panel less confusing ?

I like the synergy between your guild and lfg panel.
I used to run a lot of dungeons (16 paths each day) and I was tired to tell my guildmate “hey, I’m going in ascalon, someone who want to join in ?” every day so I finally run those paths alone.

I prefer your second approach with the lfg panel because with the first one, you will got the same problem as we got with the hero panel (now) :
(dropdown menu use 2 clics, a graphic panel 1.)

I click on CoF, looking for P2, no P2 ?, back to panel, CM, full run, no full run ? back to panel, etc…

I love your story panel because it tells a story without reading the content.
The current panel reminds me the meme “wall of text hits you for 99999dmg, you die”.
When I open it, I told myself ’wow, boring !" and close it.

It’s easier for me to remember myself an episode with the trailer than with the title or even the story content.
I usually click on the chapter, read the letter in my mailbox and said “Oh, yeah, it was when I discovered silverwaste the first time !”.
I guess it’s because I easily remember an episode with whatever introduce me to it (trailer / letter) than the sumary.

Your lore panel is really awesome.
I must admit that I don’t read lore stuff because :

“- I want to know everything about Logan !
- Great ! Go on wiki.guildwars2.com to begin, then read the 2 books where he is and then meet him in the game !
- Ew… okay, and will I know everything ?
- Yeah ! Oh wait… I forgot ! You have to read the first blog post when you will be lv 30, the second when you will meet him in Cof and finaly after beating Zhaitan, you’ll have to read the third post.
- Hmm, you’re sure that’s it ?
- Of course ! But keep on following blogs, game updates and wiki and reddit, some secrets may appears !”

The lore is dispatched on 2 (or 3?) websites, 2 games and several books.
We need something in game to follow and undestand lore.

Anyway, you’ve done an awesome job.

Posted by: Dumoch.3649

Dumoch.3649

Gw2 has an amazing artwork. The UI is just ok. That new UI shine like the artwork. I suggest blend the style of the UI a little bit more with the overall gw2 style.
But… Uohh. Just uohhh! We need this!

Posted by: xjoh.1396

xjoh.1396

Anet please hire this guy

QFT, OP for president.

All that concept art in LFG, the lore panel….OMG.

SO GOOD!! lol!

Posted by: mexay.3902

mexay.3902

I was devastated when I actually took the time to read the OP, only to find out this isn’t an ArenaNet employee and this isn’t actually being implemented.

The lore panel, the top damage, the stats, the hero panel, it’s all amazing.

ANet, please please please hire this guy or at least take some of these examples and use them!

noice

xjoh.1396

I was devastated when I actually took the time to read the OP, only to find out this isn’t an ArenaNet employee and this isn’t actually being implemented.

The lore panel, the top damage, the stats, the hero panel, it’s all amazing.

ANet, please please please hire this guy or at least take some of these examples and use them!

+1

Posted by: tico.9814

tico.9814

Amazing we need this!!!!!!!! dude you have talent

Posted by: Rafeno.9673

Rafeno.9673

holy kitten, i had to log in just to say how much i loved your ideas. pls listen to him! learnnnnnn. your presentation was gr8. 8/8 m8.

Posted by: weskay.9217

weskay.9217

It’s quite nice actually. I like some of the features you have added as well as the seemingly easier navigation/accessibility for certain windows. The guild menu is quite interesting. If I may, there are a few unnecessary add-ons such as “speed clear” records for one example. It pertains to such a small community that I don’t think it’s all that necessary.

Good job!

www.vanquishing.enjin.com

Posted by: Castien.1872

Castien.1872

Man… would love for some devs to check this out and implement at least some of this! VERY well done sir!

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

considering their UI designer left the company not too long ago …… they might have an opening for someone like you.

Posted by: VergilDeZaniah.3295

VergilDeZaniah.3295

You!
Get hired, now!

I really want to see your design in action! Awesome job!

Guild leader of The Nephilim of Elysium.

Son of Elonia.

Posted by: inscribed.6849

inscribed.6849

considering their UI designer left the company not too long ago …… they might have an opening for someone like you.

That’d mean ArenaNet would have to offer enough to actually hire the best. You get what you pay for.

Posted by: Naru.4521

Naru.4521

That is some kitten awesome redesign, really good work. This redesign should see Mike O’Brien so he can see how much better and less annoying it can look and work.

I hate hero panel UI we have so much, it is some kind of anet policy to click a lot of times to get somewhere.

Posted by: Delirious.9278

Delirious.9278

I don’t post much on this forum, but when I do, it’s because of work that people like OP does! This work of innovation is simply.. innovative! What you’ve done is rehash many of the bland lines that push back players that want to see Guild Wars as the colorful and interactive MMORPG that they know and love!

On top of that, your solutions are easy for the casual people to understand and straight forward for everyone to apply themselves. Keep up the good work and I’d be even more appreciative if this was actually implemented in game!

#youdeserve10000gemsand1000goldattheveryleast

Posted by: defi.4127

defi.4127

I like the lore UI design (but that’s a new feature), the rest is a mixed to negative bag for me, mostly comes from the fact that the windows would get too big and bloated, they contain things I’m not interested in seeing on those particular pages. The LFG redesign especially would be taking too much screen space and I hope anet will never officially promote APs as a requirement to joining a party, that would be really bad.

Also I don’t see how the dropdown menu for character panel to select between equipment/wardrobe/dyes/etc. would be any faster or user friendly, I’d argue it’d be slower actually. You still need to make 2 clicks to select the tab you want (even if it opens on hover, still need to move mouse there so it wouldn’t be faster, but would cause different issues). Currently, when you’re done with the character panel, you can press the back button (1 click) and close the window, that way when you open it again you can immediately select the tab you want (1 click), if you always want the same tab open (0 clicks), then you just don’t click on the back button before closing the window. With dropdown selection, you’d always need to make 2 clicks unless your last selection is what you wanted and it would always show you the last open tab or it would always have no selection (2 clicks). It is generally also slower to make a selection from a dropdow due to its fidgety nature – accidentally move cursor away from the selector area and the menu closes, if it doesn’t close, that means you have to click somewhere to close it.

I am also a bit amazed at the skritt mentality towards new shiny things by the users here, without putting any thought into functionality.

(edited by defi.4127)

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I havent read all comment’s but the most important thing I guess is that I give my feedback.

I got too agree with LadyRhonwyn.2501, imo the Hero Panel is pretty neat as it is with Anets design.

But the Story Journal was realy cool and hope Anet atleast uses some of your ideas or even better they hire you to work on it.

I like the guild tab and the LFG tab But I dispice the encouragement of gearcheck and Achievement point check. So in my opinion leave out the number of required AP from LFG tab and on the Guild tab it is pretty visible too as it would be more important than levels. GW2 should not be about AP, Gear or even levels imo, it should be about the joy of playing with friends and others. Sure I don’t mind some doing gearchecks and APChecks but I don’t like the encouragement of it.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Yeah the design is certainly flashier, that’s for sure. But I’m not sure the amount of pictures is the way to go. It looks extremely busy to the eye just at a glance. What I find that is really shining here is the artwork being featured prominently rather than a great amount of UI design.

Not to mention the addition of extra features that probably ArenaNet themselves already thought about as well, but don’t fit in the current UI, or simply not that simple to put in. (AP requirements, Lore journal, ready check, etc)

I must say the drop down menu, while people already says it doesn’t require less clicks or whatever, is in my opinion the only thing that within the current UI would be a better addition. At least a drop down menu to me usually feels more familiar and faster. The same with making things more concise rather than have a whole tab for switching out a minipet, mail carrier or finisher. Even though a preview of those things are pretty good to see too.

Character portraits in the guild window looks pretty cool, though in the party itself the portraits are already buggy and I can imagine that loading such data from afar might lead to even more problems before that’s fixed.

The LFG features a selection between P1-2-3(-4) and story, but I wonder whether people actually know first going out what that actually means. Not to mention allthe different things people set as such.
Also not sure how future dungeons will look, but looking at TA (although even that is limited now with the extra path) I always thought that dungeons are very mutable and the whole P1234 thing wouldn’t a thing per say in each dungeon. The same with buying selling dungeon runs. I don’t think that will ever end up there as that is a player organised thing, but hardly something you’d want to encourage as a thing in the game. (the whole thing “BUT it’s allowed!” doesn’t mean it’s the way to go)

Same with all the other things, with an ever growing MMO I really wonder where you’re going to put any new features. And I wonder about the loading times with all those pictures there. The TP itself already has some loading problems at times, and I’m not sure this picture gallery UI will make things easier.

I personally really like that the GW2 UI is so simplistic, rather than having all those pictures flowing around my screen.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

I feel a job offer coming

Fantastic and very passionate job mate!

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

Posted by: Arianhod.3485

Arianhod.3485

Truly an AWESOME job!!!

Guys&girls, bump this until someone @Anet replies because they need to see it (and recognize it) ^^

It’s a-me, Aria!

Posted by: prabab.9352

prabab.9352

Amazing, amazing, amazing.

Posted by: amax.8034

amax.8034

@nethykins.7986 @Hanzlo.3148 @sdcmgs.7348 @Dumoch.3649 @tico.9814 @Rafeno.9673 @weskay.9217 @Castien.1872 @VergilDeZaniah.3295 @Naru.4521
Thank you, I’m just glad people enjoyed it and my time wasn’t wasted

@aRestless.6213 Don’t worry you brought up valid points and the extra information I provided hopefully helped you get a better sense of my concept… ohh and don’t worry, I’ve been in the industry for over 9 years so I’m used to criticism and thus I don’t take it personally and I totally understand what you meant.

@Adelas.6598 those actions would be linked to the LFG, so when someone posts something on LFG they would have an option to turn guild members only which would make it appear on the guild panel. This is to let people just sit around, as you stated.

@JackDaniels.1697 @Palador.2170 that’s right, we’re all passionate about it and hopefully some of their designers will be able to take a different approach, they are the only ones knowing the current technical limitations of their pipeline.

@Elegy.2159 This made me laugh, thank you

@purecontact.1680 The reason why I moved them around is that people usually read from left-right, thus the most important information is seen first. This would need to be tested with a larger focus group in order to actually see if it would perform better. Regarding the rest of your comment, that’s exactly the reason behind some of my design decissions you illustrate them really well and understood the essence behind my design, good job.

@mexay.3902 @xjoh.1396
sorry about getting your hopes up I’m not affiliated with ANET, I just thought of doing this small project for creative purposes.

@TheBlackLeech.9360 @inscribed.6849
thank you and yes although their previous UI designer left the company, I think they’ve already hired a new one since I remember seeing a UX designer job description a while back. This alongside the fact that I’m based in Europe and not the US would make it really hard to get that done as well as a hire cost for them as a company compared to a similar peer already based in the US. Thank you for the kind comments and again this was done just to illustrate my concepts, I’m sure they have a talented team that can get inspired by my design to push a new UI out.

@Delirious.9278 Thank you for the very kind comment, it’s really flattering.

@defi.4127 Thank you for the feedback, regarding the wardrobe/dyes/etc I’ve actually implemented two ways of swapping between this panels. If you look closely you will notice that mini pets, finishers, outfits, etc all have their own tab/slot present in the ui, thus users only need to click that, select a mini for example and done. The second option was to use the dropdown, which would remember your last selection, similar to how it is now, however without further testing there’s no way of me knowing which one would perform better. By using the first approach it would resolve the main concern you had, which would be ease of use and the increase number of clicks.

@EdgarMTanaka.7291 I know that gear checks won’t ever happen, that’s why I proposed ready checks so for large groups like in WvW, World Bosses, Guild Missions, commanders would know how many players are AFK so they don’t start the event and find out that half of their afk is away or not in the right position. The only reason why I included AP is that I’ve noticed in LFG that people look up players with a certain AP level as well as Anet creating the rewards for the AP tiers and a lot of guildies feel like AP prove that you’re a veteran or your skilled enough.

@FrizzFreston.5290 Fair enough, just because a UI has multiple images doesn’t mean it’s not a UI, since that’s part of the solution to the UX UI, to make it easily usable as well as attractive. Pinterest, Adobe bridge and so on have their entire layout focused around images, thus you can’t just simply assume that those aren’t UIs. Dropdown wise it would function similar to what it’s already implemented, thus having a preview available. The character potraits would function similar to the existing party potraits, displaying a headshot of your character and unfortunately I don’t know how much stress that puts on the game since only Anet knows the tech behind their MMO. Dungeon wise that would need further testing for new players to see how they would interact with the LFG tool.

Posted by: Vampire.8654

Vampire.8654

every single redesign screams I love Windows 8 nonstop

Posted by: Animosity.5968

Animosity.5968

Great job. Some small stuff that I don’t think Anet will take into consideration but on the whole its fantastic and welcome more modern viewpoint on alot of UI.

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

Hi guys,

I’m a Senior UX UI designer and I’ve been playing GW2 since the betas, with long breaks in-between and since I’ve spent quite a lot of hours with this game, I’ve noticed some flaws in the games UX (user experience) and thus I decided to tackle it in order to diversify my portfolio. This lead me to redesigning some of the in-game UI’s & the official website.

About the project
The project started last summer, as I was redesigning my portfolio website, I wanted to take a break from my regular website design so I started redesigning the GW2 official website, since I missed working on a more creative & artsy website. This last holiday season I had a few days free so I decided to continue this project and tackle the in-game UI’s since I wasn’t really a fan of how some things were currently done.

What I’ve redesigned

• Looking for Group Panel & the related tabs
  • Character Panel
  • Guild Tab
  • The Story Journal & the related tabs
  • Created a Lore Journal & related tabs

The Entire Design in PDF format – Horizontal layout

The Entire Design in JPG format – Vertical layout

Note
There are a lot of explanations that point out to different things & the reason behind my design decisions. The entire project took roughly 2-3 weeks, so It could be better, but unfortunately I don’t have access to actual game or player data and I kinda ran out of free time.

Hope you enjoy.

Yeah…I think I’ll be one of the, like, 3 people that must dissent.

The redesigned hero panel doesn’t actually do anything to make my life easier, it just moves things around, and moves things on top of things. One word can describe this mess…clutter.

Clutter is a bad thing in video games, and a minimalist style is always the best way to do things, and if minimalist style can’t be done, its still always better to have as few things in your face as possible.

In this aspect, the current Hero panel does a pretty darn good job for what it has, since Crafting is kept separate from battle stats, which is kept separate from all the cosmetic stuff.) You talk of being friendlier to new players, but it does the exact opposite to flood the player with all the information at once instead of smaller bits.

Story/lore journal is alright, so is the guild panel and looking for group. The thing I have a problem with is all the freaking pictures of concept art everywhere. GW2 has awesome art, I get that. It stops being awesome when it gets way oversaturated in every aspect of the game, and gets thrown in such trivial things as a list of dungeons. It makes it look like Windows 8, which isn’t exactly the most elegant/well executed way of navigating menus/lists.

No comment on the website redesign, since the whole minimalist thing I was talking about before works really well for the current site.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

I like a lot of this. A few notes (not sure if these have been mentioned):

• Showing character portraits in the Guild UI would probably add a lot of overhead to the system. It would be nice, but not worth added load time or memory usage. Names are fine here.
  • Likewise the LFG tool does not need pictures, although these at least could be stored locally. At the least this could be an option, activating a “simple mode” to improve performance.
  • While discussing the LFG tool, I think that it’s vital that we add more open world tabs. Instead of just “Open World and Story,” there should be a dedicated “Story Chapters” page, and individual pages for each map in the game, so if I’m looking for Silverwastes runs, I only have to have open the Open World: Silverwastes" tab open.

*Also, the main UI seems to be a bit larger than the current one, taking up more of the screen. Keep in mind that for at least some of these screens, you only want them to take up about half the screen, so players can have them open while traveling and still see where they’re going, or have them open alongside bank and inventory UIs. Maybe for things like the main character screen, have a toggled “mini version” with less of the new bells and whistles.

Other than those minor points though, I generally like the design, and artistically they’re quite nice.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: Candacis.7048

Candacis.7048

I don’t like most of your redesigns, sorry. Too me it looks too cluttered and too confusing, especially for new users. Don’t like the new website design at all.

However, I looove your redesign of the Journal, it looks great and it gives it a much more “important” looking vibe. The idea with the characters are great! I would love to have that. And I didn’t even know I wanted a lore journal until I saw your ideas.

Posted by: Doctor Faustus.6372

Doctor Faustus.6372

Funny that someone can do a way better UI-design in 2-3 weeks than ANet in 3 years.
As mentioned in some of the comments ahead it’s not perfect but there are some very good ideas included in your design.
Would love to see some of your ideas ingame – ANet should hire you.

HIRE! HIM! NOW!

[vC] Doctor Faustus.6372

Posted by: hermescragsniper.2713

hermescragsniper.2713

Your redesign is epic man! Any game company would be lucky to have you lead their UX team.

Blackgate

FrizzFreston.5290

@FrizzFreston.5290 Fair enough, just because a UI has multiple images doesn’t mean it’s not a UI, since that’s part of the solution to the UX UI, to make it easily usable as well as attractive. Pinterest, Adobe bridge and so on have their entire layout focused around images, thus you can’t just simply assume that those aren’t UIs. Dropdown wise it would function similar to what it’s already implemented, thus having a preview available. The character potraits would function similar to the existing party potraits, displaying a headshot of your character and unfortunately I don’t know how much stress that puts on the game since only Anet knows the tech behind their MMO. Dungeon wise that would need further testing for new players to see how they would interact with the LFG tool.

I didn’t mean it’s not an UI or anything I just meant it’s just using alot of pictures, which I’m not sure about whether that’s just very distracting or looking better and easier to use. Like I’m wondering whether it’s not just the pictures making it look nice rather than the base design itself. (Although of course graphical looks are an important part too.) I mean I haven’t really found any core structure design changes that are truly competing with the base structure of the current set. Which might be mostly because the current UI is as you put it very basic. I think the very basic part of the current UI is its actual strength.

Like the LFG is alot more readable (although the addition of paths, AP etc are a bit questionable, but sure) but then the picture selection makes it lose a nice overview. While visually probably more appealing it’s doesn’t feel like a very practical design. (At first glance)

And the Guild window looks alot better as well, but it also takes away alot of information that was there before as well. (While adding some other that may or may not be useful)

And then suddenly the hero panel puts all the information there in one screen, which is like, yeah it was a problem, but this just makes it very cluttered.

Also I find there’s some lack of unity amongst all the different redesigns, but that was already said I believe.

The note about the character portraits isn’t that it’s a bad idea, I actually like it. But currently ingame whenever your party member is further away in a map or in a transformation the portrait is affected as well, meaning it probably has some issues there. And I of course don’t quite know how it works but if that problem is there then I’m unsure that would be working as you envision it.

Either way, don’t be discouraged or anything. I find some really good ideas in there and some I simply don’t like or think might not be practical. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: sephism.8279

sephism.8279

Hey amax,
first of all… wow thanks for taking your time with this, its an incredible effort which might pay of for the community, since some of the changes you bring up are really awesome.
As some have mentioned the Hero UI looks a bit crowded. On the other hand ideas like title and crafting profession information are quite usefull on that tab and I would love to see Anet implement those. The other thing I realy like about it is that you put all equipped items together. I myself often need one second more to realize that those darn Accessories are on the other side of the planet, so putting these together is a good thing to do in my opinion. The new space created by putting all equipment on one side could be used to show vanity items, as shown in your image (but I would not like to change it in that panel, it would be awesome though to see what you have equipped in those slots – my lovely finisher is resetting a hell of a lot and this way I could see that thingy and change it back).
The Guild Panel is also realy slick with your new design, I like the new community features to find people to play with more easily. Some people mentioned that they dont like the pictures of character as it hinders readability, but as long as its only in the “members near your zone” tab I am happy with it. All in all this is something GW2 could need, since I feel there hasnt been much emphasis on the GUILDwars recently and this could improve many things without Anet having to release major guild content – an easy fix for future updates there might be for guilds in general.
I dont have much to say about the LFG Tool, its easy to read and has some information that hasnt been there yet (which I would love to have).
The Story Journal looks a bit complicated to me or it could just be the case that I dont get how you maneuver them exactly from your images shown. I understand that you might not be able to display it as good as you would like and there are some nice ideas that go hand in hand with the rest of your design but right now I cant say much more.
And last but not least the Lore Journal... YES PLEASE!!! The idea alone would make many people happy and it follows your general design quite well. It would be up to Anet ofcourse what content we will see in there but the presentation alone should make new players more interested in the world of Tyria. I would love to see this and I think WoodenPotatoes said once that there were many many books (that we havent seen yet) throughout early betas or devs said something about them → add them there. If there is one thing besides good living world content that brings forth the story it is this. Again you use many pictures to illustrate what awaits the player on the next page after clicking it which is a great way to show some of the amazing artwork the devs create. * looking over to my GW-paper bag signed by Kekai Kotaki and Daniel Dociu * man I love those guys for what they have done with the artstyle! <3 * manly tears *

Hope you can find some usefull criticism in my little wall of text. Keep up the good work!!!

amax.8034

Yeah…I think I’ll be one of the, like, 3 people that must dissent.

The redesigned hero panel doesn’t actually do anything to make my life easier, it just moves things around, and moves things on top of things. One word can describe this mess…clutter.

Clutter is a bad thing in video games, and a minimalist style is always the best way to do things, and if minimalist style can’t be done, its still always better to have as few things in your face as possible.

In this aspect, the current Hero panel does a pretty darn good job for what it has, since Crafting is kept separate from battle stats, which is kept separate from all the cosmetic stuff.) You talk of being friendlier to new players, but it does the exact opposite to flood the player with all the information at once instead of smaller bits.

Story/lore journal is alright, so is the guild panel and looking for group. The thing I have a problem with is all the freaking pictures of concept art everywhere. GW2 has awesome art, I get that. It stops being awesome when it gets way oversaturated in every aspect of the game, and gets thrown in such trivial things as a list of dungeons. It makes it look like Windows 8, which isn’t exactly the most elegant/well executed way of navigating menus/lists.

No comment on the website redesign, since the whole minimalist thing I was talking about before works really well for the current site.

Thanks for commenting, regarding your clutter issues and the fact that new players would be instantly be “thrown” into a lot of information is a valid statement. However please note that as stated in the document, some features would be hidden as in not visible till they reach a certain level.

For example the order would appear at level 35 I think, where you have to join an order, the crafting would be displayed at a certain level and so on. This way users would start with a UI that’s really basic at the early levels and tabs/slots would be revealed as they level up, similar to the current feature unlocks. Thus the design showcases it at level 80 when everything is unlocked.

For players who think it’s too cluttered or want a more simplistic view, some of the information could be displayed under a tab thus giving users a basic overview and a more detailed overview.

Regarding artwork use, you must understand that there are people who are more visual oriented, who have a visual memory and thus it’s easier for them to remember such things. For new players or existing players, having artwork displayed would help them identify/remember/ put a face to certain characters or generate curiosity/interest for a certain dungeon that they haven’t done before. As the saying goes “a picture is worth a thousand words” some people would get an easier understanding that PVP & WvW is for large competitive combat, while an image with a dungeon would make it easier for them to understand it’s something that you do in PVE. Also by using images you are required to read a lot less since you get the general idea from that said image thus the mentioned popular saying.

amax.8034

@FrizzFreston.5290 Don’t worry I’m not taking it to heart I’m used to criticism I went through 6 years of architecture university and have 9 years in the web & design industry, thus I’m really familiar with it and the fact that not anyone will like a certain design, that’s why we have so many brands that do the same thing but different depending on their targeted audience.

@sephism.8279 that was the most “soft & pleasant” feedback I ever received, you sir are awesome and did a great job of understanding my design & approach…. sure more tweaks & user data could be gathered, but since I don’t have access to that for now it must do. A similar project would stretch a few months when put in a real live environment, however my approach was to give a general idea of what could be done and it’s not the final actual design, since that as stated would take months to refine & test and I don’t have that luxury.

@Doctor Faustus.6372 @hermescragsniper.2713 Comments like this is why I love my job & the gw2 community, you guys made my day. Cheers

FrizzFreston.5290

Somehow I knew you were going to use that saying.

Can I twist it around by saying that having a thousand words every time you want to select a certain category would be a bit too much or is that silly? :p

Kidding aside, aren’t icons a better way to go by that standard? I mean a piece of artwork does say alot more, but it might also say too much.

Posted by: dace.8019

dace.8019

This ought to be awkward for ArenaNet.

Nice work OP, especially for the LFG and the Lore/Characters suggestion.

amax.8034

Somehow I knew you were going to use that saying.

Can I twist it around by saying that having a thousand words every time you want to select a certain category would be a bit too much or is that silly? :p

Kidding aside, aren’t icons a better way to go by that standard? I mean a piece of artwork does say alot more, but it might also say too much.

:) and yes icons are lightweight and might work, my design was just an example of the approach and not the actual final design since that would take months, however further data & analysis would need to be done to determine the best approach.

@dace.8019 glad you enjoyed it and thx for taking the time to comment

Posted by: Pyriel.4370

Pyriel.4370

Sir, you are amazing, the Lore Section alone is an amazing idea! The redesign to the UI is supremely exquisite!

xjoh.1396

Seriously, if they recently had their UI guy leave. They should definitely hire you!

Hope they see this!

Posted by: shadovv.9576

shadovv.9576

Amazing job! I especially love the Lore journal.

Posted by: Greyrebel.7492

Greyrebel.7492

woooooooooow ! that was amazing ! realy amazing ! im speechless !

We are one , and one is all

Posted by: Frenk.5917

Frenk.5917

I wish Gaile to see this!

She’s usually very nice, so she could actually tell us wether or not some of these wonderful ideas (I love the lore tab, I’m exactly one of those players who do not know anything about the background of GW but wish to know more) could be implemented by Anet.

Frenk – EU
All is vain

Posted by: Valdur.3607

Valdur.3607

I’m really impress and I hope Anet take a look at your ideas.

Good job

Posted by: nGumball.1283

nGumball.1283

Too flashy sometimes in which case the theme goes against GW2’s simple artistic style. The website design for instance is generic for most MMOs. Otherwise, the in-game ideas are nice though and it would be nice if Anet would look at them.

Eitherway, good joob, keep it up!
Keep in mind though, that Anet as a gaming company may have discussed alot if not most of the ideas in your presentation already. As a person who have worked in gaming companies before, alot of things happen behind the scene, alot of concepts get scratched and alot of ideas never see the light. It doesn’t mean that the company doesn’t have ideas but they have their own ideals of what to implement.

Posted by: kmorland.9486

kmorland.9486

One of the biggest things for me in guild wars 1 was the way it approached lore in the game making it a valid experience and making you want to go out into the world and learn more. With guild wars 2 I find it harder to enjoy this experience due the fact that most lore is hidden in books around the library’s of the world, living world season 2 came closer with things like the worm encased in jade and the books at the Durmond Priory but it was still kept to a few choice words on screen. I think a lore journal would be a great way to keep tabs on the games movers and shakers in the game especially for new players, there is so much history in this game that deserves validation The dragons, the Mursaat, the white mantle, the dwarfs as well as all the politics from Rata Sum to the far shiverpeaks everything you have featured in the lore journal is perfect and I hope they release something like this soon.

Posted by: TERraTRIIx.3194

TERraTRIIx.3194

Some people are against some parts of the design – which I understand, each to their own. On the other hand I and the majority of people here absolutely love it! For me the best part was the lore section! I have been playing for a long time now (not since launch), maybe it was my utter stupidity, but with the old layout I had almost no idea what was going on with the living story/lore (thanks woodenpotatoes for what you have taught me), with this new system NO players will be left out or left behind! Anet you don’t have to do this 1:1 like this marvellous man did, but you absolutely 100% without exception or any other excuse/lie you can tell yourselves/us HAVE to create that system! It is the best thing since sugar free sugar!

GIVE HIM ALL THE MONEY’S.