I want Tengu as the next playable race!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

I would do anything to play as a Centaur. Anything… ._.

Anything, huh? Hmmm………well, as it happens, if you send me all your gold you will get good fortune and centaurs will become a playable race. Don’t hesitate. Send your gold now.

Isn’t there a new MMO that is releasing that has playable centaurs? Like Camalot unleashed or whatever it’s called.

Posted by: Rozalina.3196

Rozalina.3196

It also depends on where anet is taking us next I would love to see a new playable race come to life in the game. Like when go to the far shiverpeaks that would be a great place to be able to play a kodan or if we went to woodland cascades it would be great to play tengus. I love the idea of getting to be a tengu. It would bring another race into play from gw like the charr were. We are seeing more tengu show up like how tengus guard their gate in LA and now we even have one in our guild hall.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Isn’t there a new MMO that is releasing that has playable centaurs? Like Camalot unleashed or whatever it’s called.

Might be Crowfall? At least, if I read it right.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: leviathan.2148

leviathan.2148

With the 9. profession being added, I think it’s pretty reasonable to assume that there will be only elite specs from now on. That said, a new race would be a great feature for the next expansion. It’s always one of the most noticeable features in each MMO expansion.

For those saying that it will add nothing to the gameplay: Depends on how you mean it.

• Will it bring new mechanics? No.
  • Will it bring new story? Quite possibly
  • Will it bring new maps? Yes.
    This for me is something new to the gameplay.

Of course those that have only one character and play everything with it, won’t appreciate it unless they decide to switch to the new race. Despite of that, new race can bring a lot IMO.

And I agree with Rozalina that Tengu have the biggest chance of becoming the new race. Don’t quote me on that but if I remember correctly a long time ago someone from Anet has said that they planned Tengu to be playable.

• Tengu as a race have a rich lore background from the GW1.
  • They are unique and we know how Anet likes to be unique and doing things different way.
  • We have already seen new variations of them in HoT maps.
  • Their city is close and next to it, there is just enough place for their starter map.

With that said, I would love them to be playable. And as somebody has said, with them playable and sharing body features with charr, it would provide a reason to focus more on nonhuman armor clipping issues.

I am an engineer – a pianist of destruction! Now please go back to standing in my AOE.

http://wpwhendead.tumblr.com - a GW2 webcomic about a Charr and a Skritt

(edited by leviathan.2148)

Leo G.4501

That’s the one! But the graphics are very 2006ish…

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

The only real problem that I see with centaurs is the horse torso since the legs could work with the current leg armor

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

That’s the one! But the graphics are very 2006ish…

Holy cow! It looks like you can play as a minotaur as well! They’re my favorite fantasy race ever! Gonna have to keep an eye on this one, thanks for the info!

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

I would be interested in trying a Tengu toon. Their Aztec-like architecture is intriguing. I’ve always wondered what goes on behind those massive walls. Heck, if a future expansion just let us in there, even without making the Tengu playable I’d be happy.

Posted by: Dantert.1803

Dantert.1803

Regina about the Tengu on the last guild chat "Brin5tar: @Dantert, I guess I’d say it sounds cool, but it’s really not up to me! ~Regina "

Regina supports the Tengu!

I know, kinda of a cheap shot but for a good purpose!
We love u Regina!!

Attachments:

Posted by: Reincarnatie.7254

Reincarnatie.7254

Push the agenda!

Bump the topic!

Recent lore interview with the venerable Ree Soesbee was recently in the news updates:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee/

The last question about the tengu is really double-edged.. but at least there’s still talk about it!

Excerpt:

Q: After all the achievements we made during these three years, why are the tengu still so hostile? After all, we killed Zhaitan, defeated Scarlet (who was close to them), and destroyed the Shadow of the Dragon.

A: The tengu are a very complicated race, filled with bureaucracy and warrior trials. It takes them a long time to trust other races—they were hunted in Cantha—and it would require a lot of discussion among their high masters before they could commit to any kind of treaty with the other races. Many individual tengu do believe in building a peace with the other races, but at this time they are still arguing their case before the leaders of the Dominion.

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

Push the agenda!

Bump the topic!

Recent lore interview with the venerable Ree Soesbee was recently in the news updates:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/lore-interview-with-ree-soesbee/

The last question about the tengu is really double-edged.. but at least there’s still talk about it!

Excerpt:

Q: After all the achievements we made during these three years, why are the tengu still so hostile? After all, we killed Zhaitan, defeated Scarlet (who was close to them), and destroyed the Shadow of the Dragon.

A: The tengu are a very complicated race, filled with bureaucracy and warrior trials. It takes them a long time to trust other races—they were hunted in Cantha—and it would require a lot of discussion among their high masters before they could commit to any kind of treaty with the other races. Many individual tengu do believe in building a peace with the other races, but at this time they are still arguing their case before the leaders of the Dominion.

This translates to maybe, but not today. Tengu could be just over the horizon, or they could simply never happen.
That said, a polearm wielding tengu would have me rolling on the floor with hype.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

Leo G.4501

Excerpt:

That sounds like an interesting personal story.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Ugg make smash!
nufsed.

Attachments:

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Sorry man, it has to be the Skritt.

If people want to get those suspended legendaries, who best to do it but the experts in obtaining shinnies?

~EW

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Oooh. Just think, a female grawl wearing the underboob armor. Sooo smexy!!!

Everyone who wants that, raise your hand.

Anyone? Anyone at all?

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Raises Hand! Yay!

Posted by: Ariurotl.3718

Ariurotl.3718

Nah man, it has to be krait. I can’t wait for the personal story consisting of gathering wet planks, building a shoddy tower out of them, putting a vista on top, CC’ing adventurers from the top platform and celebrating with a glass of quaggan tears*.

(* – I actually like quaggans, but I was in character, man)

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

Coincidentally, a week ago was 10 years since the Factions preview event which is where the idea of tengu as a playable race was arguably first teased with the inclusion of Talon Silverwing as (at the time) the first non-human henchman.

Time flies

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Ugg make smash!
nufsed.

We already have a race of small, primitive, socially-fragmented and superstitious people. Why do we want another one, when we have too many humans already?

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Variety is always good. Grawls could be as good an addition as Canthans or Elonians, or any other human subspecies.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: Ossyrana.1637

Ossyrana.1637

So after I saw the Tengu Npc in the guild hall (the one running the Workshop)
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kensho_Arrowsoul this dude
I fell in love again with the Tengu race, they look amazing they move amazing I want to play as one as soon as possible.
LOOK at those feathers! -
I’m hoping so much for it right now!
I know already that some people will say “You silly! They will never add a new race bababa!”
I don’t care! Let’s support the love for Tengu and maybe in the future we will have them!
Also IMO, seeing how much effort they put in the design of this race compared to the quaggan and the others it seems really unlikely that they are not planning to add them as playable race.
<3 TENGU!

Awwww YAYYY! You are awesome! I just LOVE seeing happy excited posts like these! The more Anet sees these, I think they can only avoid this plea from their customers for so long and that they simply must find a way to make it happen – for Tengu to become a playable race! I understand there is SO much controversy on this matter because of the lore conflictions. I feel ya, luv. People get mad at me too sometimes for being such a Tengu-lover lol :p I mean, why is it such a bad thing to absolutely adore this race so much and want to customize our own? Why is it so bad to believe that the lore can take a new direction? After all, good stories do not stay static – they should be dynamic and shift constantly for freshness, twists, and resolutions. I know Tengu are like Canada and isolate themselves from the rest of the world and will never partake in a battle unless it directly harms them. I get it. It goes against what was written. But just because something has happened and always been so in the past, does not mean it has to continue to be that way! I have not read all of the lore…I only know some of it sadly. I never played Guild Wars 1 (because I only first heard of it when the second base game released) and so I am eager to learn as much as I can about all of the history of this mesmerizing world and this fascinating race I am so drawn to. I was told (which some disagree) by a trusty friend that if Primordus awakens for the next expansion pack and is the next dragon to kill, it would in turn affect the Tengu and they would have not much choice but to take charge. This, however, I cannot know for sure, having not come straight from a Tyrian source itself, and recently another trusty friend contradicted it by claiming it untrue and that I ought to be caught up with the story :/ So even if there is no Elder Dragon that can bring them out of the dark corner, then there’s gotta be something else. Why not just make these beautiful birds have a “change of heart.” It is our minds after all that create our world. There are friendly people and unfriendly people everywhere in every race – there is no perfect one. But sinners can become saints any moment with a simple enlightened shift. Not that Tengu are sinners by any means, but merely pointing out that “dogs can be retrained” and humans can reprogram their minds, so why not these mythical intelligent birds. There are rebels and rogues all the time that desire to split off. So why can’t the Tengu? I am not looking for an argument (and I can totally See the other side and the reasonable reasons as to why our tengu-loving requests could be unfitting and mess things up). I am kind of like them in that way – wanting no conflict and only hoping for peace and positive vibrations in these threads. But I am simply one of their BIGGEST fans (even if I am slightly undereducated on the subject – but it’s not my fault after much research I still haven’t found the perfect source to tell me everything I need to know) and wish to support all those others out there who love Tengu as much as I. There really needs to be like a HUGE lore book that covers every detail, seriously – I would buy it and read it and love it! xD If Anet is worried about Personal Stories, I think they could easily program it so that Tengu are not able to play the same Zhaitan story as all of our other characters start out with…that can instead be disabled and replaced with a completely different story that takes place during the present time when Tengu came out rather than joining in the past. I am sure that can be arranged, though I don’t know the “how’s” since I don’t work with animation. Writing this fast because I have to leave soon! Hopefully there is nothing grammatically incorrect or redundant. And fyi, being super passionate about this (it is probably one of the most important things imo to happen in this game), my diplomatic way of speaking tends to lower … all of my sophistication drops off the cliff and my writing doesn’t sound as eloquent lol, so excuse my passion please lol! Much love!! ~ namaste ~

Attachments:

(edited by Ossyrana.1637)

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

My dream of being a Skritt will never come to fruition. Their home instance and stories would be awesome.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

No to a new playable race…. they need to focus on fixing the bugs in game and apply balance before wasting resources on a new playable race…

Posted by: Tasida.4085

Tasida.4085

GW1 Tengu not the evolved GW2 critters!!! GAME ON

Noble Dragons (NOBL) rocking GW’s since 2005 now rocking the Sorrow’s Furnace Server!

Ossyrana.1637

Revenants make me cringe every time I do PS with them because they are not SUPPOSED to be there, even with the Mists/Ravenloft/Dr. Who excuse.

Ahhh I feel the same way about this section of your post. I really think Revenant should’ve had a completely separate PS that takes place “after” Zhaitan. Here is how I imagine it. The beginning can be kept technically… Have it start out w/the scenario chosen when creating a character which differs per race (options as in: dead sister for human, white stag for sylvari, weather-controller for asura, etc), & during it I would choose a “regular” profession to begin with & won’t keep. Something happens…anet could show a cutscene of revenant-to-be joining militia (but not commander yet) during risen battle, & show all other toons as the commanders with Destiny’s Edge. And at the very end when it catches the lore up to HoT, Destiny’s Edge asks revenant-to-be to join them on the ship to play a higher role this time fighting the next dragon. The cutscene ends & the revenant’s next chapter of the story is fresh from that point on, boarding the ship & witnessing everything that happened, from the sylvari turning on them to the ship crashing. All blacks out. Then the revenant-to-be is in The Mists & has to get past obstacles & learn this new magic! The newly-revenant decides to go back home to tell the others what happened (all the while hiding their new-found secret) and earns an honor or something to end the story. So when I play HoT story specifically with the Revenant, the rev returns & already knows about Rytlock’s powers but acts oblivious & what happened & where everything is which gives an advantage…idk. That is just what I pretend has happened for my character’s made-up background while I play her, even though it’s not physically in the game. Imagination is just as good sometimes lol. But pretending I have a Tengu on my team isn’t enough in that aspect, so I don’t want tonics but an actual legit Tengu race to play as (and wouldn’t say no to more races to come along with because I cannot get enough of races – the more the merrier for me…like Land Before Time & how all these very different creatures are all friends & look odd together heehee). So I want to try & find a way to contact anet about my idea of not letting Tengu play the Zhaitan story at all. This would solve so much. Tengu can have a “start out” chapter that takes place after Zhaitan’s time & after HoT. I really feel that it would make most sense to easily (but with worthwhile time & effort) make a brand new personal story of what happens when Tengu do decide to finally come out of their shell rather than fitting them into the old story where they don’t belong & would indeed break the lore. But it would make sense & not break lore if anet follows the timeline (& doesn’t keep their isolation static) & keeps the timeline moving forward, picking up the story for Tengu in its proper place in the future with the next dragon or whatever reason makes them reveal themselves with peace. Idk why no one has thought of this yet & are all trying to think of how to place them in the old setting. Why does that have to be? Anet comes up with new things all the time. Easier from scratch than adapting. If they come with the next expansion pack, they can take as much time as they need to create something really wonderful. I don’t care how long it takes as long as it’s definite – already have waited 4 years lol. I don’t think armor would be a problem, being similar to Charr. Some people mentioned that “it would be too much a hassle” for anet & all these other excuses & justifications made for anet. Let them say what is too hard for them. (not talking to you directly, just thread in general). I don’t wish to limit their capabilities. Plus there are enough people who want Tengu, & those who do not want to play it don’t have to, and the ones who do, like I, can be happy lol. Some expressed it’d be troublesome to find & pay voice actors. Heck I would even try out to be a voice actor & do it for super low cost or even free lol. I would do anything to have Tengu playable & would help in any way I can. I know many times it is more absolute to achieve something if we participate in action to help move the progression along rather than sitting back & hoping & waiting. I love the game. I have fun playing it. But I am also an Artist, & I must be truthful that the design aspect plays a huge role on my part. My characters are like my art pieces…my paintings. I can only hope for more freedom to create the most magnificent creatures And discover more lore while I’m at it (being too a writer). Blessings to everyone here. Hope it works out for all of us <3

Attachments:

Ossyrana.1637

Tengu
- norn-raven rig/charr rig/they have their own rigs already!
- they have their own starter city and if Anet wanted to close shop on tengu-playable possibility, they would have opened it up already as a tengu theme-park.
- Anet already started on them as a playable race. They have a base from which to start with circa 2012 (probably earlier, like before sylvari redesign).
- new higher-quality tengu textures with HoT!
- more story, avian race, get rid of the kittening blur-blotch in the middle of the world map…

Lore is not an issue for Tengu.

A new playable race would help draw in new players, while fixes to existing aesthetic issues or to mechanics are only appreciated later on. The latter is an issue of ongoing quality improvements, while the former is an extravagant marketable event. It’s something that draws positivity, rather than just clearing away a few dark clouds, it adds a new aspect—something with visual impact that can be celebrated because it is more tangible/visible.

It’s been four years. I’m sure they’ve fully baked their half-baked idea by now..! Easy bake! No need to commit any more resources ‘cause they’ve already done it!

Tengu, pls.

I love your comment <3 Easy Bake for Tengu, woot woot! xD 0:)

Ossyrana.1637

Question for fans of the Tengu…or just anyone who feels like commenting I suppose:

Birds have various physical traits that differ with sex from plumage color and patterns to size although some have no visual difference in appearance (monomorphic). But consider Charr for a moment. Charr have obvious differences in appearance between males and females, namely size (males being slightly bulkier while females being more sleek in comparison), the style of horns and most notably the floof of their tails (ignoring specific apple loving outliers here).

So, what about Tengu? If made playable, should they have some dimorphism similar to some bird species? Or perhaps just differences made up in the minds of the devs (like under-arm plumage for one sex and not the other)? Or maybe female Tengu should just have boobs and nice hips? Or should Tengu male and female be identical except for perhaps voice?

Eek, please no breasts for the Tengu. That’d be like Happy Feet which was so bizarre. Why can’t we just have a genderless race for once? That would be awesome. I understand Tengu has both sides, being mammals, but they don’t have to look too different I don’t think…if anything it could be slight shifts in the face and their expressions, but not the body. I wish Sylvari were less gendered actually…and technically they didn’t need to be since they don’t bare children and are all awaken from the tree…but ah well. What can be done lol.

Ossyrana.1637

Or maybe female Tengu should just have boobs and nice hips?

Please don’t do this. If female charr don’t have boobs, why the hell would something that isn’t even a mammal have them? I’m so sick of non-mammalian races in MMOs having boobs just to make them look “hot”. I really want Tengu but if the females look like this it will just ruin it for me. Besides, the differences between male and female Tengu are mentioned in the wiki. Here is a quote from the wiki: “The females of their species have plainer plumage and are typically larger than males.”

I completely agree, Opal!! <3

Ossyrana.1637

Honestly, I think the Tengu are the only VIABLE race that might someday be playable.

Now I’m just looking at this from a logical viewpoint. I know some people want Skritt or Kodan or Largos (even heard people say they want Dredge???), everyone has their own personal favorite race, but the Tengu really are the only race that’s in a good spot to become eventually playable should Anet decide to. I mean, they were a strong candidate for one of the playable races during development of GW2 and even have a portion of the map sectioned off as their starter city (Dominion of Winds). There’s even concept art of what I’m assuming would’ve been choices that the player could make when creating a Tengu. And it just would seem to fit the best story-wise. They can finally open up their gates and the Tengu can finally be much more integrated into the world (as player-controlled characters).

Now I know Anet has said before that adding a new race “doesn’t really add anything to the game.” But that’s not entirely true. Just because a new race won’t “shake up the meta” or anything like that doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have an impact on the world of GW. I guarantee you that if they became playable, you’d be seeing a TON of Tengu roaming the world because most people would love to have a brand new race to play with. And look at it this way as far as the next expansion goes: I seriously doubt that Anet is going to add any more professions to this game. They’ve got their nice little 3×3 setup with each armor class having a fair amount of professions to choose from, and I don’t think they’ll want to throw that off. So that’s a big piece of content that will likely NOT be included (creating a brand new profession takes a ton of work, so where is that extra work gonna go? MORE raids???). Also keep in mind, elite specs were originally going to be added as updates to the game (for free, I would think), whereas now they’ll only be included with expansions. So if Anet releases an expansion like HoT in which people were already complaining about the serious lack of content for a $60 price tag, but MINUS an entirely new profession, that’s going to be even LESS packaged content than HoT. That probably won’t sit well with most players.

So no, Tengu won’t alter the core gameplay (they’ll have a few racial utilities but nobody really picks those anyway), but that doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be enjoyed and appreciated by THOUSANDS and thousands of players. Including a brand new race with their own personal story elements and whatnot would definitely help make an expansion pack really FEEL like an expansion pack. And heck, fluff it up a bit with, I dunno, MORE EMOTES while they’re at it. I’m sure they don’t take THAT much work (compared to creating and balancing a new profession) and it would be greatly appreciated by a large chunk of the casual community, especially the roleplayers (the original GW had a ton of emotes compared to GW2), because they’re just as much a part of this game as everyone else. I’d really love it if we could interact with the environment like sitting in chairs, sleeping in beds, drinking at taverns, leaning against walls, stuff like that (pretty sure players in ESO can do all that). But that’s just my own wishful thinking.

Anyway, since Anet is a business and a business is all about making money, here’s another way to look at it: I bet there’d be a pretty big surge in character slot expansions bought from all the people who’d want to create their own handful of male and female Tengu. I know I’d buy several myself.

Awesome post! I am totally with ya on this

Ossyrana.1637

Out of curiousity, how many of you would make a tengu and actually put effort into the character, if they didn’t make a race change kit?

Me

Ditto.

I’ve actually put off making a Guardian and Necro because I have enough Charr, Asura and Sylvari (And 1 Human is more than enough). Not sure if I’d make a Guardian Tengu but I’m definitely holding out for a Necro Tengu.

And me!!!
Aww I just love seeing so many people for it! <3
Settling for no consolations
Not kits :p

Ossyrana.1637

Also, I simply don’t understand why people look so hard and often to work-arounds for a problem that Anet doesn’t have. Anet doesn’t need quick cheap fixes for races…they already do a top notch job on making races interesting and distinct. They also don’t need to save on effort, we pay them enough money that they have the resources to make things happen.

Said PERFECTLY!! <3
~ namaste ~

Posted by: Tiefsee.3647

Tiefsee.3647

It should be a recruited species out of our story! They are all good choices and sre already part of the pakt!