I was guild leader and I'm now the lowest ranking member

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

They should be able to go in an update your status. When I made myself a storage guild I didn’t give myself permissions. I sent in a bug report asking to be given leader status. It did take some time, but eventually I represented in to it to check and I had all the permissions. So, obviously they can do it.

Good luck on getting your guild back, this must be very frustrating.

Posted by: Drae.3189

Drae.3189

This is just another example of ANet customer service ineptitude. So you made a mistake and you need it fixed outside the janky interface. Isn’t this what customer service is for???

[GoF] Booty Kawl – Blackgate

Posted by: LordSlack.4685

LordSlack.4685

I’ll chip in for a bump, hoping your issue gets resolved. I would hope somebody would be willing to help me in a situation like this.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

Btw – not that it would have helped, but perhaps someone can update the wiki (don’t know how myself) that the system automatically appoints the longest serving officer as the new leader when someone loses permissions in this fashion.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Before updating the wiki make sure this person was in fact an officer. I don’t recall the OP ever saying this person was an actual officer or just a member.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Rouven.7409

Before updating the wiki make sure this person was in fact an officer. I don’t recall the OP ever saying this person was an actual officer or just a member.

You know what – I think you are not only right in that, but I think the answer given was false anyways because it was given to the 60 day inactive period, which turned out to refer to GW1.

My bad, I think it would be nice to know what rules apply in the case of accidentally removing oneself (as a leader). Obviously a system exists.

I can’t remember if that member used to be an officer, think I’ve been in the guild for 6 weeks or so and don’t recall ever seeing that person.

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

They should be able to go in an update your status. When I made myself a storage guild I didn’t give myself permissions. I sent in a bug report asking to be given leader status. It did take some time, but eventually I represented in to it to check and I had all the permissions. So, obviously they can do it.

I’m not sure if i should be happy or sad about this. It is obvious then since they fixed your issue, they’re can help me as well and that makes me hopeful, but at the same time, I feel sad and confused why they haven’t done so.

Tiger Ashante.1792

You know what – I think you are not only right in that, but I think the answer given was false anyways because it was given to the 60 day inactive period, which turned out to refer to GW1.

My bad, I think it would be nice to know what rules apply in the case of accidentally removing oneself (as a leader). Obviously a system exists.

I can’t remember if that member used to be an officer, think I’ve been in the guild for 6 weeks or so and don’t recall ever seeing that person.

Yes he was an officer. I actually was going to demote him because his friends started a guild on another server and he began switching representation between mine and theirs (I wish I knew who they were, they might have been able to contact him for me) and I remember telling him I can’t have him as an officer if he’s going to keep switching representation. He then assured me it was only on occasions when he was playing in WvW since at that time my guild wasn’t very active there. I thought that was fair enough.

According to the Guild window information, he was in WvW last time he was logged on and that means he was not representing my guild at that time, yet the guild leadership was given to him! You would think if there was a system in place for this kind of thing, it would at least (like many people have commented above) pick someone who is active, but most of all, who is actually representing the guild in which he was being made the leader!

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

That’s . . . an interesting problem.

I’d say the moral isn’t “don’t fiddle with stuff” it’s “double check your work”. The Bank/Bag tab problem, some other things that don’t ask for confirmation, in general the moral of all these problems hitting people is: pay closer attention to what you’re doing.

It’s your own doing, your own fault, and while I take my hat off in sympathy . . . the lesson is not that things are badly designed (and even if you can successfully make the case they are) it is more that you should ‘measure twice, cut once’ as the old adage goes. Double check before you do something you might not be able to undo.

Come on I have to press an OK box to break down a green item and there is no confirmation box for changing guild leadership?

Best response ever. Seems like a pretty big oversight to have no confirmation on such an important change. Hell they shouldn’t even allow demoting yourself without first choosing a successor.

On a side note, anyone know if there is a confirmation box for leaving a guild? With this news I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not, and given the location of the button (right next to represent), I may one day end up leaving one of my solo “stash” guilds by accident and lose all access to my guild banks forever.

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

seriously you been a guild leader since release, yet you haven figured out yet that no one person can have more than 1 permission at a time? Hard to sympathize with you when you don’t even seem to be able to think logically

Posted by: Jaskra.6940

Jaskra.6940

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Hope ANet gets off their kitten and helps you out. I share a co-leadership with my boyfriend for our guild [EVIL] so because we both have full access this would never happen to us, thankfully. My one question for you is: If you were going to re-title versus re-rank yourself, why didn’t you just rename your current guild leader title and/or change the icon versus making a new rank all together? o-o I’ve done this several times myself and there is no danger of undoing my guild leadership. I realize they should probably have a fail proof system, but this mistake could have been avoided entirely if you had done that instead. =(

Jaskra Ryonative ~ Mesmer
Meredith Nic Éssus ~ Necromancer
[Blackgate]

Posted by: Cures.7451

Cures.7451

while you got my smpathy for your mistake and the consequences, your whole post sounds ALOT like it would be good for you to step back from the GAME a bit and get your priorities straight. Someone whos emotions are influenced that much by what should be a relaxing hobby has rl troubles that have to be sorted first.

Posted by: SteepledHat.1345

SteepledHat.1345

This wouldn’t have been an issue if we had been able to assign guild nicknames and if guild creators had special permissions for override.

“Failure to remain calm is the sign of a weak mind.”

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

True, its the OP fault but its still kitten of Anet not to render any help.

Posted by: Phoenix.3416

Phoenix.3416

To be honest accidents happen, Anet should really fix this as if you were a major guild owner and this happened you will have wasted 6months + of your time only for a bug or accident take it away

Posted by: Rifter.6591

Rifter.6591

Yeah that would kitten me off for sure.

I honestly cant believe Anet support is so bad they refuse to help you with this.

I would submit a ticket every hour on the hour till this get resolved perhaps there is still one Anet employee out there that does still care and eventually you will get lucky and your ticket will end up on his screen and he can help you.

Rouven.7409

I’m not sure if i should be happy or sad about this. It is obvious then since they fixed your issue, they’re can help me as well and that makes me hopeful, but at the same time, I feel sad and confused why they haven’t done so.

Question is if this qualifies as a bug. The system worked in that it appointed someone else as new leader, we just don’t know the parameters.
The real problem seem to be the parameters themselves and that there is apparently no backup plan for what happens when the parameters “failed”.

Tiger Ashante.1792

Yeah that would kitten me off for sure.

I honestly cant believe Anet support is so bad they refuse to help you with this.

I would submit a ticket every hour on the hour till this get resolved perhaps there is still one Anet employee out there that does still care and eventually you will get lucky and your ticket will end up on his screen and he can help you.

Lol yea. The problem is I don’t even know what to say any more. This whole thing has left me kind of numb and I’m just going through the motions of playing the game but not really enjoying it as much I did before all this happened. I tell myself, I have to stay logged in as much as possible in case this person logs on but it’s already been 2 weeks and I don’t know how much longer I can stick with this game in this situation.

Posted by: poziix.7285

poziix.7285

Create a new guild. You can still have the same tag, if all the active members of your guild join your new one, you will also find out who is actively playing still.

It’’s a hard lesson but one that you won’t make again. In the new guild make sure you edit the leader title rather than making a fresh one.

(edited by poziix.7285)

Tiger Ashante.1792

Create a new guild. You can still have the same tag, if all the active members of your guild join your new one, you will also find out who is actively playing still.

It’’s a hard lesson but one that you won’t make again. In the new guild make sure you edit the leader title rather than making a fresh one.

Thanks for the suggestion Ema and of course that’s always an option, but as I stated earlier in this thread, I don’t think I could start one again. Especially now with the guild missions released, which make it impossible for smaller guilds to unlock missions, especially those starting out from scratch.

I got most of my guild upgraded to lvl 4 except Art of War which is only at lvl 1 atm. I do have a few k points but even with these upgrades in place, it would still take me a long time to unlock just the 1st tier of guild missions.

With Anet’s inaction in this matter however, they’ve basically sealed the fate of my guild. 2 weeks after the incident, most of my members have stopped representing me, but assure me they would resume if this matter is fixed.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Regardless of whether the person should get their guild back or not, I have to wonder why a guild system would be designed where a leader stepping down just gives leadership to random people.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

ANET’s customer service can be extremely frustrating and slow. But they eventually get it right, most times. I assume they are very overworked and understaffed.

I hope they do the right thing by you.

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

They should, at minimum, pass the guild leadership to an active member (even if it’s not you – I’m sure your members would do the right thing in that case). Perhaps the player with the most time played or has been in the guild the longest. Having active guilds with inactive leaders isn’t something that should be ignored by Anet. It’s an easy fix and there’s no reason it shouldn’t be rectified.

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

Yeah, maybe this is one of the unfortunate consequences of having a non-subscription MMO, they can’t afford the staff to tackle issues that affect an individual, such as in this case. They have major quests in the game that are still bugged, such as the Cathedral of Melandru on my own server, months after release, which of course regularly affects a lot of players (although at least now I can do it by guesting on another server) – so I’m afraid that something like this might be waaaay down low on their list of priority fixes, and unfortunately you might never get control of your guild back. ;(

Tiger Ashante.1792

They should, at minimum, pass the guild leadership to an active member (even if it’s not you – I’m sure your members would do the right thing in that case). Perhaps the player with the most time played or has been in the guild the longest. Having active guilds with inactive leaders isn’t something that should be ignored by Anet. It’s an easy fix and there’s no reason it shouldn’t be rectified.

It’s interesting to me that a lot of people in this thread believe (as I do) this is an easy fix, which makes it even harder to swallow why it’s not being fixed.

I guess the poster above must but right, an individual customer don’t matter to this company and the fact that no one from the staff has even bothered to comment on this thread proves it.

Posted by: Zogyark.4597

Zogyark.4597

I think you’re taking this too serious, just restart your guild, life goes on, games go on too.

Necromancer Lupicus Solo – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWkSkhmWiDU

Retired Until Expansion or Meaningful Content is Released.

Tiger Ashante.1792

I think you’re taking this too serious, just restart your guild, life goes on, games go on too.

Maybe so, but I’m sure if you invested 2000 hours into something you would take it seriously too.

Posted by: Dan.8709

Dan.8709

I’m really sorry to hear that and I hope someone from ANet can atleast answer here.

Daniel Cousland – Darkhaven

Posted by: Genewen.2415

Genewen.2415

Maybe so, but I’m sure if you invested 2000 hours into something you would take it seriously too.

If you really spent 2000 hours on this game since it launched late August 2012, you have bigger problems than this thread is about. That’d be over 83 full days of gaming of an entirety of 184 – that’d mean you would’ve played all day 45% of the time since launch – without eating, sleeping or going to the restroom.

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

If you really spent 2000 hours on this game since it launched late August 2012, you have bigger problems than this thread is about. That’d be over 83 full days of gaming of an entirety of 184 – that’d mean you would’ve played all day 45% of the time since launch – without eating, sleeping or going to the restroom.

Why come on the forums and respond off-topic just to insult someone? If you have nothing nice or constructive to say don’t say it at all (not to mention inaccurate & judgmental).

I really hope they will fix it for you Tiger, I’d be devastated if it was me. I get the feeling they wont though so I hope you can get in touch with this person whom the leadership went to and they are willing to help.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

I’m baffled as to why it assigned GL to some random inactive player and not an officer. Had it done that your officer could have just reinstated you. They need to fix the way the system assigns GLs in odd cases like this.

Posted by: DarkPhx.7942

DarkPhx.7942

I have been following this post. I really hope they fix this issue. I am on your side..

This is my second life

Keep on fighting for what is yours.

Posted by: Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

Kitty La Boom Boom.4065

I posted a note on my Tumblr with the GW2 tags. Hopefully it will get around and someone who know the person, or even the DancinWookie will see it and be able to help.

http://buffkitten.tumblr.com/post/44305619589/seeking-dancinwookie-5246-att-gw2-players-please

Tiger Ashante.1792

I posted a note on my Tumblr with the GW2 tags. Hopefully it will get around and someone who know the person, or even the DancinWookie will see it and be able to help.

http://buffkitten.tumblr.com/post/44305619589/seeking-dancinwookie-5246-att-gw2-players-please

Wow, you did that for me? I’m touched, thanks a lot. Hope something comes of it.

Tiger Ashante.1792

I think I may have found DancinWookie!
@Sosyc gave me this link to a Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046824493 and I’m pretty sure that’s him.
If anybody out there has an active Steam account, would they please contact him on my behalf? A simple message for him to either contact Tiger Ashante, from Guardians Of Divinity (GOD), or log into guild wars 2 would suffice.
I actually created an account on Steam, thinking I could just message him, but I’m unable to interact with anything or anyone unless I buy games first, which I can’t do atm, so if anyone could help me here I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance

Posted by: Sinhealer.7359

Sinhealer.7359

I have sent him a friend invite.

Hopefully he will accept and I can explain your problem.

-Edit-
Chances are he will not accept a random friend invite,1 thing you could try is joining the Steam Forums and in the off topic make a post,he may check those forums or maybe someone that knows him might see it.

I tried sending a private message to ‘dancinwookie’ on those forums but that user was not found,he could have another name on the forums though.

Could be worth a go.

(edited by Sinhealer.7359)

Tiger Ashante.1792

I have sent him a friend invite.

Hopefully he will accept and I can explain your problem.

-Edit-
Chances are he will not accept a random friend invite,1 thing you could try is joining the Steam Forums and in the off topic make a post,he may check those forums or maybe someone that knows him might see it.

I tried sending a private message to ‘dancinwookie’ on those forums but that user was not found,he could have another name on the forums though.

Could be worth a go.

Thanks for that, but if you spell his name as you posted there, it may be incorrect. It has to read exactly like this; DancinWookie
With Cap D and W. but I really appreciate you doing this.

P.S. I did try to post on the forums but it said I wasn’t allowed to do that. Which basically means I have no access to those features unless i buy something from them.
Edit: typo

(edited by Tiger Ashante.1792)

Sinhealer.7359

You can post in the forums.
You can not post in off topic until you have made I think 10 posts in other threads.

There is no DancinWookie name on the Steam Forums,as I said though he could use a different name.

Just post a few times in threads on the forum until you have I think 10 posts and then make the thread.

The Steam Forums and Steam accounts are not linked.

(edited by Sinhealer.7359)

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Reddit is another place to try. A lot of people that play gw2 (there is actually a gw2 sub-reddit) post there. Try there too.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Tiger Ashante.1792

Reddit is another place to try. A lot of people that play gw2 (there is actually a gw2 sub-reddit) post there. Try there too.

Thanks Infernia, but I don’t think this new guild leader hangs on Reddit. He seems to be hanging out on Steam but so far, I’ve not been able to use any of the community services, such as forums, add him as a friend, unless I buy some game. Apparently, these restrictions were put in place to stop gold-sellers and their ilk harassing players. So close yet so faraway, very frustrating.

Sinhealer.7359

He has been on-line on Steam but has not refused or accepted my friend invite.

Will keep you posted.

Edit-

Also make sure you are trying to join this forum http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/

And not the new community forum through the Steam game client.

Rouven.7409

I’ve sent him an invite as well on steam yesterday. I still think it would be of general interest to know what the correct procedure is. Perhaps there is no real procedure at this point in time (other than the automatic appointment of a new leader once).

Posted by: Hjorje.9453

Hjorje.9453

@Tiger,

Hey I found this in another forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/No-guild-leader/first#post1571625

I think this is a good sign they stuff will be coming in the future to help you.

Hjorje

Rouven.7409

Good News indeed, thanks Hjorje.

Posted by: silentnight warrior.2714

silentnight warrior.2714

That is a problem that can hapen to others. It should be fixed by ANet. At least it should be a confirmation box.

Tiger Ashante.1792

@Tiger,

Hey I found this in another forum.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/No-guild-leader/first#post1571625

I think this is a good sign they stuff will be coming in the future to help you.

Thanks for that link Hjorje, hopefully there’s something in the works to fix issues like what happened to me as well.
I would feel much better thought, if I had some reasurance in way of a direct reply from someone in the company on this thread. However, it gives me a glimmer of hope that at least they’re working on something that may improve guilds features in general.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I feel your pain and know how hard this must be, but if you can’t get help from them, you need to help yourself. Since there were so many in the old guild that were inactive anyway, remake the guild. Yes you’ll lose the influence and things you’ve already learned but consider it a lesson hard learned. Considering you still get to keep your guild I think you got out easy. It could have been worse and the rank could have gone to someone who went power-hungry and completely destroyed your guild. Remake it, rebuild from the ashes, heck that could open up for a lot of interesting new names too. A year or so from now you’ll all have a nice laugh about it and I’m sure it will become the running joke for a while. It’s not the end of the world. Dust yourself off, rebuild.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Tiger Ashante.1792

I feel your pain and know how hard this must be, but if you can’t get help from them, you need to help yourself. Since there were so many in the old guild that were inactive anyway, remake the guild. Yes you’ll lose the influence and things you’ve already learned but consider it a lesson hard learned. Considering you still get to keep your guild I think you got out easy. It could have been worse and the rank could have gone to someone who went power-hungry and completely destroyed your guild. Remake it, rebuild from the ashes, heck that could open up for a lot of interesting new names too. A year or so from now you’ll all have a nice laugh about it and I’m sure it will become the running joke for a while. It’s not the end of the world. Dust yourself off, rebuild.

You actually do lose your guild if u want to create another one. I checked the options and got none from the guild registrar and in the guild window itself, the only option i have is to step down. Which is kind of odd. Stepping down would imply I’m actually leading/heading something which obviously I’m not currently.

So I guess if I want to create another guild, I would have to abandon this one. That may not seem such a big deal, but even more than losing all the upgrades and influence I’ve built up, I don’t want to lose my guild name.

Posted by: LowestTruth.2635

LowestTruth.2635

I think it’s pretty cold and unsympathetic of both support and staff reading this thread to be silent. Just my opinion. Doesn’t do anything for the human face of the game. Hope others’ experiences are better. I’d say stuff about empathy, compassion, and add a few shame-on-yous, but meh. All too familiar.

Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

Qwyksylver Vyqtunos.6312

I’m so sorry dude, I sincerely hope this is rectified very soon. If any active members would like to do guild missions until then I extend invitation to my guild for that purpose until you get your guild up and running you can whisper korgin shadowmind any time tomorrow afternoon and I will invite you in =)

Raagar Deathclaw-Necromancer | Korgin Shadowmind-Mesmer

Circle of Legends [BOLD]