I was guild leader and I'm now the lowest ranking member

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

I feel your pain and know how hard this must be, but if you can’t get help from them, you need to help yourself. Since there were so many in the old guild that were inactive anyway, remake the guild. Yes you’ll lose the influence and things you’ve already learned but consider it a lesson hard learned. Considering you still get to keep your guild I think you got out easy. It could have been worse and the rank could have gone to someone who went power-hungry and completely destroyed your guild. Remake it, rebuild from the ashes, heck that could open up for a lot of interesting new names too. A year or so from now you’ll all have a nice laugh about it and I’m sure it will become the running joke for a while. It’s not the end of the world. Dust yourself off, rebuild.

You actually do lose your guild if u want to create another one. I checked the options and got none from the guild registrar and in the guild window itself, the only option i have is to step down. Which is kind of odd. Stepping down would imply I’m actually leading/heading something which obviously I’m not currently.

So I guess if I want to create another guild, I would have to abandon this one. That may not seem such a big deal, but even more than losing all the upgrades and influence I’ve built up, I don’t want to lose my guild name.

I haven’t gone through the whole process but I do know if you “Stand down” (which doesn’t leave the guild, just un represents) the create guild option appears again. After that i can’t say what happens because I haven’t tried. Dunno if this helps.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

I think it was said best by Poledo.3256:

Come on I have to press an OK box to break down a green item and there is no confirmation box for changing guild leadership?

KitteNet can be fairly numbnuts about some things especially in regard to UI’s. It has never been their strong suit.

The disturbing thing is they will tell you they can’t involve themselves in guild situations; although it would be nice if they could make some exceptions to their bonehead policies on occasion, you know? Just to prove they aren’t all lawyers.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Woaah issues like these really need to get fixed.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

Proof that even games need solid UX developers. Hire me when I finish my PhD, Anet!!

I hope this gets resolved for the OP/guild in question. In the mean time, everyone be sure to edit existing ranks and/or confirm permissions before moving people between ranks.

Posted by: foxOXIIIXIII.7140

foxOXIIIXIII.7140

Quite crazy on how this happened but agreed that hopefully that support can help. Maybe in the future if a guild leader tries to change rank without hitting the ‘stand down as guild leader’ button, the game just doesn’t allow the rank change to begin with.

Posted by: Grim West.3194

Grim West.3194

I feel your pain and know how hard this must be, but if you can’t get help from them, you need to help yourself. Since there were so many in the old guild that were inactive anyway, remake the guild. Yes you’ll lose the influence and things you’ve already learned but consider it a lesson hard learned. Considering you still get to keep your guild I think you got out easy. It could have been worse and the rank could have gone to someone who went power-hungry and completely destroyed your guild. Remake it, rebuild from the ashes, heck that could open up for a lot of interesting new names too. A year or so from now you’ll all have a nice laugh about it and I’m sure it will become the running joke for a while. It’s not the end of the world. Dust yourself off, rebuild.

You actually do lose your guild if u want to create another one. I checked the options and got none from the guild registrar and in the guild window itself, the only option i have is to step down. Which is kind of odd. Stepping down would imply I’m actually leading/heading something which obviously I’m not currently.

So I guess if I want to create another guild, I would have to abandon this one. That may not seem such a big deal, but even more than losing all the upgrades and influence I’ve built up, I don’t want to lose my guild name.

You can create another guild but first you have to stop representing the guild you are in (you don’t have to leave it). Once you have created the new guild, you can go back to representing your existing guild.

Although, you shouldn’t have to do that in the first place. ANET should have helped you by now. But I’m not surprised they haven’t. Their customer service is really poor compared to other games. Keep bugging them with tickets and post regularly in the account issues forum. They may eventually realize that they are wrong.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

Although this was a bohoo on your part, I agree that the guild panel functions are extremely not user friendly. For example, I can accidentally right click a member and upgrade him to a guild leader without any warning or undo ability and then completely lose access to my very own guild.

I noticed this kind of problem since the very first day and was testing out the “accidents” we can run into with such things with a close friend. Needless to say, it’s not surprising yet reaffirming that anet has very kitten poor support… It’s always the same copy and paste sentence, “we are sorry that this happen to you, we can’t do anything about it even though it was our fault”.

In most games, guild leaders are bound to the account so if the guild leader quits, usually the guild cannot be sustained anymore. In this case, Anet should have a simple confirmation box before a guild leader transfer is done. possibly similar to a character delete confirm box "are you sure you want to change guild leaders to xxx, please type your account name to confirm (or email address or guild name, whatever works)

(edited by Lafiel.9372)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This is really crazy. The guilds seem to have been built in a most sloppy manner. When you lost your leadership rule, however it happened, it should not have gone to an inactive member but to the next most active member. There should also be a way for the system to move leaderships off when a leader goes missing. Did they not realize that people will stop logging in when they lose interest, for life issues or whatever. They had 7 years to study Guild Wars 1 and see what the problems might be. Didn’t they carry ANY of that knowledge over? How hard would it have been to build the guilds correctly in the first place?

Posted by: Lunasun.2491

Lunasun.2491

Hi Tiger,

Im so sorry this happened to you!

This could have been easily prevented by adding a confirmation box when you perform actions like that, we get them for a simple salvage action, so why not for really important actions like guild management!!!!

And imo its ridiculous that Anet claims to not being able to fix this for you, cause im pretty sure they can……

Its another example of bad customer service………. very disappointing…..

I really hope it will eventually get fixed for you, please let us know!

Guild Leader of: We R In Style – Server: Underworld
http://werinstyle.shivtr.com/ https://www.facebook.com/WeRInStyle

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

Yes I know you have to remake it, but what I was implying was that some baddie could have gotten leader spot, kicked everyone or flamed/trolled them to the point they wanted to dissociate themselves with the guild, and therefore you would lose your guild. You may say no one would do that, but you never know what people would do until they get into a position of power.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Danielapsama.1672

Danielapsama.1672

I think it would be best to just join an already active guild with upgrades and such.
Don’t give up though, keep trying to contact the inactive leader and keep hassling Anet.
When i saw the title of the post i actually laughed because it all sounded like a comical situation XD, but honestly i know how upsetting it must feel. Luckily you can be in 2 guilds at once, just try to move forwards but at the same time don’t give it up.

Posted by: Adesam.9823

Adesam.9823

seriously you been a guild leader since release, yet you haven figured out yet that no one person can have more than 1 permission at a time? Hard to sympathize with you when you don’t even seem to be able to think logically

I agree, and fail to see how anyone could see this other than being purely OP’s fault. A lack of a warning does not take blame off OP. I don’t understand how one can think that making a new rank is more efficient than editing the current rank, or how she expected GM rights to magically transfer to a brand new rank.

My 11 year old knows how the guild system works, yet a grown woman who is obsessed with her guild to the point where it affects her emotionally didn’t take a minute to learn how it functions?

While I agree that a warning should be implemented, it does not take away from the fact that the OP is responsible for their own actions, no one forced her to make a new “Godess” rank and assign herself to it.

(edited by Adesam.9823)

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Although this was a bohoo on your part, I agree that the guild panel functions are extremely not user friendly. For example, I can accidentally right click a member and upgrade him to a guild leader without any warning or undo ability and then completely lose access to my very own guild.

I noticed this kind of problem since the very first day and was testing out the “accidents” we can run into with such things with a close friend. Needless to say, it’s not surprising yet reaffirming that anet has very kitten poor support… It’s always the same copy and paste sentence, “we are sorry that this happen to you, we can’t do anything about it even though it was our fault”.

In most games, guild leaders are bound to the account so if the guild leader quits, usually the guild cannot be sustained anymore. In this case, Anet should have a simple confirmation box before a guild leader transfer is done. possibly similar to a character delete confirm box "are you sure you want to change guild leaders to xxx, please type your account name to confirm (or email address or guild name, whatever works)

Very well put, that’s all is needed to prevent this kind of blunder. I haven’t given up trying to contact this inactive leader but it seems everything I,ve tried up to now, I’ve hit a brick wall.

On another note. Sorry I’ve not been able to reply to everyone, been busy this last week formatting my drive and installing window7 on my pc and going through all the pains of upgrading stuff. Still need to finish some things, but got it mostly done.

Thanks everyone for your comments and understanding, I really appreciate it and keep hoping this situation will get sorted out eventually.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Very well put, that’s all is needed to prevent this kind of blunder. I haven’t given up trying to contact this inactive leader but it seems everything I,ve tried up to now, I’ve hit a brick wall.

On another note. Sorry I’ve not been able to reply to everyone, been busy this last week formatting my drive and installing window7 on my pc and going through all the pains of upgrading stuff. Still need to finish some things, but got it mostly done.

Thanks everyone for your comments and understanding, I really appreciate it and keep hoping this situation will get sorted out eventually.

You know if you had enough people, maybe 30? Who put 2g into a guild with the name you wanted you would probably be back to where you were. 30 people x 2g is 15,000 influence I think. I have my own personal guild and it has all the buffs of the guild I’m actually in minus pvp and the new addons. That’s just from tossing influence into it every now and then.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Tiger Ashante.1792

@Geotherma
“You know if you had enough people, maybe 30? Who put 2g into a guild with the name you wanted you would probably be back to where you were. 30 people x 2g is 15,000 influence I think. I have my own personal guild and it has all the buffs of the guild I’m actually in minus pvp and the new addons. That’s just from tossing influence into it every now and then.”

Getting 30 people wouldn’t be easy to begin with and to get them to contribute gold would be even harder, but sure if you could get that many, it would definitely help.

However, my guild has all the upgrades to tier 3, some tier 4 and I have 10k influence saved up, plus quite a few buffs made up ready for use. But to give you an idea, just to get my guild bank upgrade to treasure trove cost me 15k influence, so it’s a lot to lose on one hand and on the other, 15k in itself doesn’t get you very far. It certainly wouldn’t get me nowhere near to the upgrades i have now.

Also, I would feel this loss even more because all 8 of my characters have completed the personal story and along the way, each one got1400 influence as rewards. All of that was sunk into this guild and since they cannot receive that reward ever again, it would be a complete waste and all that work would have been for nothing. This is one of the reasons I’m hanging in there in hope this thing gets sorted out soon.

Edit: small typing error

Posted by: Kuldebar.1897

Kuldebar.1897

seriously you been a guild leader since release, yet you haven figured out yet that no one person can have more than 1 permission at a time? Hard to sympathize with you when you don’t even seem to be able to think logically

I agree, and fail to see how anyone could see this other than being purely OP’s fault. A lack of a warning does not take blame off OP. I don’t understand how one can think that making a new rank is more efficient than editing the current rank, or how she expected GM rights to magically transfer to a brand new rank.

My 11 year old knows how the guild system works, yet a grown woman who is obsessed with her guild to the point where it affects her emotionally didn’t take a minute to learn how it functions?

While I agree that a warning should be implemented, it does not take away from the fact that the OP is responsible for their own actions, no one forced her to make a new “Godess” rank and assign herself to it.

Are you all the worst kind of people or is that just how the internet is presenting you?

Let’s leave the holier than thou, should have known better crapola and just agree that in a game where you have a confirmation to salvage a green item there should be freakin confirmation for Guild Leadership change.

It’s really that simple. People make mistakes, get tunnel vision, happens all the time. It’s why we have confirmations in nearly everything!

Stop being jerks and just admit that a confirmation for Guild Leadership changes should be in the game and stop ragging on the OP.

I think ANet should have known better, and I’d be right.

Posted by: Wesley Of Florin.2150

Wesley Of Florin.2150

Are you all the worst kind of people or is that just how the internet is presenting you?

Let’s leave the holier than thou, should have known better crapola and just agree that in a game where you have a confirmation to salvage a green item there should be freakin confirmation for Guild Leadership change.

It’s really that simple. People make mistakes, get tunnel vision, happens all the time. It’s why we have confirmations in nearly everything!

Stop being jerks and just admit that a confirmation for Guild Leadership changes should be in the game and stop ragging on the OP.

I think ANet should have known better, and I’d be right.

Um, the post that you quoted does admit that there should be a confirmation, as do most of the posters in this thread, including me.

Sadly ANet will not -and should not- do anything about this issue. They have no business messing with guild matters whatsoever, for any reason. Yes, I’ve read this entire thread and while I sympathize with the OP, I don’t see any reason for Support to intervene. It wasn’t a hacked account, or a bug, or anything else that caused this issue. Yes, as we’ve all already established, there should be better controls to keep a guild leader from inadvertently giving up that role.

What if the OP stepped down as leader intentionally, but then changed her mind and now wants leadership back? How does Support know the actual circumstances, not just in this case but in any future requests they might receive asking for the same thing? All they have is the testimony of the affected person, which isn’t much to go on (no offense). That is my reasoning for why they shouldn’t intervene, and I think that is also their reasoning.

Posted by: Bailrs.6157

Bailrs.6157

It shouldn’t matter what the leader did, it is their guild if the Character name is attached to the guild creation, it is their guild. Support should simply give the guild back to the creator.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

(…)
Um, the post that you quoted does admit that there should be a confirmation, as do most of the posters in this thread, including me.

Sadly ANet will not -and should not- do anything about this issue. They have no business messing with guild matters whatsoever, for any reason. Yes, I’ve read this entire thread and while I sympathize with the OP, I don’t see any reason for Support to intervene. It wasn’t a hacked account, or a bug, or anything else that caused this issue. Yes, as we’ve all already established, there should be better controls to keep a guild leader from inadvertently giving up that role.

What if the OP stepped down as leader intentionally, but then changed her mind and now wants leadership back? How does Support know the actual circumstances, not just in this case but in any future requests they might receive asking for the same thing? All they have is the testimony of the affected person, which isn’t much to go on (no offense). That is my reasoning for why they shouldn’t intervene, and I think that is also their reasoning.

Understandable from your point of view. Points to consider:

a) The leader is not able to name a successor
b) Anet does not have to guess, they see that the automatically appointed new leader has not been and is not online.
c) The system is how it is for a fact, try it out yourself.

All you have is the testimony as you put it – certain reaction and impulses are only natural, but if you take a step back then you will see that the design/functionality is faulty.

It’s a grey zone, no question – which is exactly why there have to be better rules and why there is a need for a better functionality.

Take the usurp function in Lotro for example, the possibility to name a successor.

See the link to the official reply in regards to the leader being banned further up (thread page 3) – there would even be no guess work from Anet there.

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Tiger Ashante.1792

(…)

Understandable from your point of view. Points to consider:

a) The leader is not able to name a successor
b) Anet does not have to guess, they see that the automatically appointed new leader has not been and is not online.
c) The system is how it is for a fact, try it out yourself.

All you have is the testimony as you put it – certain reaction and impulses are only natural, but if you take a step back then you will see that the design/functionality is faulty.

It’s a grey zone, no question – which is exactly why there have to be better rules and why there is a need for a better functionality.

Take the usurp function in Lotro for example, the possibility to name a successor.

See the link to the official reply in regards to the leader being banned further up (thread page 3) – there would even be no guess work from Anet there.

Very well put.
Anyway, I’ve been in contact with support again and they tell me new guild features and an automated leader promotion of some kind are in the works. As to when they will be implemented and what exactly they are, or if they will help to fix my situation, I have no idea, as I was given no further information. I can only hope something happens in the March update.

Posted by: Plastered.2315

Plastered.2315

I feel your pain.

The in-game support in this GW2 is the worst one I have seen. I don’t think the support people are able to do any in game fixes and are just plain helpless. I believe they lack tools to fix in-game issues such as this, items restore, refunds, etc.

I have a hints achievements issue that i submitted tickets number of times, but never have any resolutions.

Hopefully, one day, ANET realizes the importance of this and get their act together.

(edited by Plastered.2315)

Tiger Ashante.1792

OMG! You’ll all be pleased to know I got my guild back! Yes, finally. Not due to Anet’s support but due to DancinWookie logging in and reverting leadership back to me! I’m so relieved i can finally do things in my guild.

I just hope this thread has helped other people not to make the same mistake and encouraged Anet to add features to Guilds to prevent this type of error ever occurring. I also hope this thread don’t get closed, as it may still help other people, especially those new to the game.

Finally thank you all for your support and understanding, it really means a lot and it was your support that kept me hanging in there this long.
Cheers and happy gaming!

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

OMG! You’ll all be pleased to know I got my guild back! Yes, finally. Not due to Anet’s support but due to DancinWookie logging in and reverting leadership back to me! I’m so relieved i can finally do things in my guild.

I just hope this thread has helped other people not to make the same mistake and encouraged Anet to add features to Guilds to prevent this type of error ever occurring. I also hope this thread don’t get closed, as it may still help other people, especially those new to the game.

Finally thank you all for your support and understanding, it really means a lot and it was your support that kept me hanging in there this long.
Cheers and happy gaming!

Grats, glad your inactive member wasn’t entirely inactive afterall.. Now be careful not to make the same mistake again. Hopefully anet will still implement a confirmation box. I don’t imagine it would be too hard.

Posted by: Lunasun.2491

Lunasun.2491

Happy to hear its all solved, Tiger!!

And yes, i really hope Anet will implement a better guild management system!

Guild Leader of: We R In Style – Server: Underworld
http://werinstyle.shivtr.com/ https://www.facebook.com/WeRInStyle

Posted by: Hardist.3104

Hardist.3104

Best thing I’ve read on these forums up untill now. I can only imagine how you must feel after getting your guild back. I’m glad for you and I hope that you will be more careful next time ;-)

Happy gaming!