Posted by: Yunielesca.2850

Yunielesca.2850

The trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48TMjS4rooE
It’s true…

IGN Tweet & Core Game = F2P - what does this mean? [unconfirmed]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

There’s already little kids ruining the game for me, what more could a few more do?

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

Do we get refunds on our game if they make it F2P?

Otherwise I spent $60 on a F2P game

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Yunielesca.2850

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Nice. Sadly you can’t punish them, they are one of the few large game review sites left.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Please Anet, tell us it’s a joke.

Which part?

Both, F2P and raids are both horribly bad for a games community, either one is capable is bringing a game to its knees on its own. To do both at the same time….I can see a shark tank and what looks like GW2 about to jump it.

I’m not worried about raids, myself.

Remember that announcement about the changes to Fractals? How they want to lower the barrier of entry and lower the time commitment for individual Fractal runs? That makes even more sense if they’re adding raids, which will require larger groups and longer time commitments.

They’ve already confirmed there’ll be no gear tier beyond ascended in Heart of Thorns, so the gear treadmill aspect of raids in other MMOs won’t be an issue.

My guess is it’ll look a lot like the elite missions from GW1’s Factions campaign—extra-long, more difficult dungeons that require a larger-than-normal party and offer higher-than-normal rewards. Raids don’t worry me at all.

F2P is a different story. It could be botched easily, but it could also be handled well. It all remains to be seen.

Funny you should mention this.

There was a post in the Raid CDI about legendary gear in raids, and how it could also be fair to get them without raiding, but differently, and at the same time, same difficulty.

As for the F2P thing, I suspect poor wording in that you get the base game FREE with your purchase of HoT. So play the core game for “Free” now, if you buy HoT at this moment.

That’s not the case. Go to YouTube and search for “Guild Wars 2 Free to Play” and limit the search to today. IGN leaked a trailer and someone mirrored it on YouTube.

It’s full free-to-play for the base game, including WvW.

I chuckled at “world class” PvP lol.

But seriously. if its free full core game… thats not going to be a good sign… welcome to a toxic community full of trolls and goldspamming bots.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The restrictions noted on the first page make it sound like a demo (sort of like WoW free to play up to 60, which is a demo compared to max level). I would be fine with that.

However…

play all of World vs. World. Trial accounts may participate in World vs. World but cannot enter the Eternal Battlegrounds or Borderlands maps.

Does not compute! head explodes from the oxymoron

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

Do people want this game to feel more like a chore? My main reason to join Gw2 was because it was fun, it was the game-play, the amazing exploration, the various choices without me feeling like its a chore.

(I was a bit lucky I got in early on, people seems to not like leveling, while in the old days Gw2 was at its best from lvl 1-79 not sure if design changed, or simply figured it all out).

But my main question is, do people rather want raids that might feel like dungeon chore after a little while or create more snowball fights, amazing big and all around interesting places like the first time playing this game??

(My main concern is that this game turn slowly to a chore like game, where everything becomes less fun and more boring, until it reminds me of WoW, more CC, less fun and interesting places for exploration/options that are fun).

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Do we get refunds on our game if they make it F2P?

Otherwise I spent $60 on a F2P game

If you purchased it 3 years ago you don’t have much of a leg to stand on.
Now if you purchased it anytime between now and the HoT announcement… well now you’d have good standing to be very angry.

Yunielesca.2850

The restrictions noted on the first page make it sound like a demo (sort of like WoW free to play up to 60, which is a demo compared to max level). I would be fine with that.

However…

_109792_0561 play all of World vs. World. Trial accounts may participate in World vs. World but cannot enter the Eternal Battlegrounds or Borderlands maps._

It’s not a trial account, look at the video on youtube, it’s the leaked trailer for the announcement, and it says a “limitless adventure”

CureForLiving.5360

There is definitely room for raids. GW2 has players looking for hard content.
By the same merit GW2 shouldn’t become a Raid MMO, rather a MMO with raids and other stuff.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Why are yall going ape kitten on this?
Didn’t months ago Anet, in HoT announcement, told us the core game is free with the xpansion?
Why are yall taking the incompetent IGN “journalism” seriously?

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: ThreeHitDown.2169

ThreeHitDown.2169

Its not going f2p for kittens sake.Its like WoW’s f2p model.Do your research before you start qqing on forums people.

So me saying anet hasnt said forsure about that wasnt enough for you understand ^^this already. …smh stop trolling kid 1st off u aint a dev so idk y u answering my question, 2nd theres only so much reaserch u can do on leaked info….

There were some details on reddit which i cannot find atm but i can remember some of them.The restrictions were
2 character only
max lv15
No map chat
No team arenas
No wvw besides edge

There is also a trailer running about f2p atm.I did my research,but i cant kittening find it for some reason.Its mostly speculation.When official news are released you will see.The core game wont go f2p as most say.

(edited by ThreeHitDown.2169)

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

datamined info earlier showed something about a trial account (this could be the F2P).

It also had datamined tidbits of maximum lvl of 15 for free trial (makes sense, only able to get into those start zone lvl 1-15 maps like queensdale)….

Couldn’t speak in map chats or use trading post and things like that either so I HIGHLY DOUBT its a full f2p game lol

Most likely just a free trial.

Thank you kindly for this info. I’m going to believe it until Anet says otherwise on Saturday.

That datamined info is over a year old. It is almost certainly not relevant. It’s probably something ArenaNet considered in the past and scrapped in favor of something else.

Your right its old and probably have some things changed but still. I highly doubt anet will put out a completely F2P, full edition of the core gw2 game….

We will know on saturday thou!

Nooh I said I wanna believe til Saturday! Shhhh! xD

Sorry Candy, leaked trailer just showed the worst thing possible…. fractals, sPvP, WvW, all of it was accessible for F2P accounts…. this doesn’t look good lol. Hopefully some restrictions will be applied but it looks like they will still have access to quite a bit of things….

Yunielesca.2850

Why are yall going ape kitten on this?
Didn’t months ago Anet, in HoT announcement, told us the core game is free with the xpansion?
Why are yall taking the incompetent IGN “journalism” seriously?

There is a major difference between offering it to the ones paying to join the community and making it totally free.
Moreover, it’s a rip off for the recent buyers who was said they were getting the original game for free as an argument while it’s becoming free.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I was just about to post this. Not even bad, Anet.

I guess they are saying, IGN has skritt for brains.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zypher.7609

Zypher.7609

However…

_109792_0561 play all of World vs. World. Trial accounts may participate in World vs. World but cannot enter the Eternal Battlegrounds or Borderlands maps._

It’s not a trial account, look at the video on youtube, it’s the leaked trailer for the announcement, and it says a “limitless adventure”

Is this all you are going to do today, is go back and forth between these two threads trying to stir up things. You can have limitless adventure when you play GW2, on a trial account not so much. But again you are just jumping to conclusions, the game will NOT be going full F2P in the near future. Maybe it will never go fully F2P, there will be restrictions in place that limit what the account can do, just like every other game that has allowed F2P accounts.

But you do not want logic, so carry on.

Posted by: Bagera Septim.8547

Bagera Septim.8547

I hear ya bud, ive seen devs respond tho so I mean its worth a shot right….I understand where your coming from on that butlike others have said it maybe bennifical to put more posts with that as the title so the community can be heard ya know?

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

Theres plenty of casual stuff out in gw2, and anet wont remove it.
Why cant the more dedicated players have content catered to them also?
fun for everyone

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Behellagh.1468

That was data mined months ago. Level 15 cap isn’t F2P, that’s a trial cap.

RIP City of Heroes

Yunielesca.2850

Yeah right, if you’re able to play fractals or Arah at lvl 15 you must be really strong.

Behellagh.1468

I was just about to post this. Not even bad, Anet.

I guess they are saying, IGN has skritt for brains.

I like Skritt Happens.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Zietlogik.6208

Zietlogik.6208

The only way this would become a chore, is if they added a gear treadmill or something similar to be all “you need to do this content to have BiS items”

They will have some skins etc. but nothing will be really a necessity i’m sure

Zietlogik [Warrior] Chronologix [Ranger] Ziet The Dreaded [Necromancer] Zietlogic [Revenant]

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

It’s full free-to-play for the base game, including WvW.

How can it be full?

Create 100 accounts, park every character by mining nodes… GG, see you later economy.

Not to mention the dailies. People could earn hundreds of gold every day just logging onto accounts, lol.

Just ship it all off to your main account.

By “full,” I mean “access to the whole core game’s content.” There will likely be restrictions on things like trading and communication as a necessary safeguard against this kind of thing.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Yes because ads always speak the absolute truth.

I see that as just an ad for Guild Wars 2. Then at the end, it adds “Your journey begins” and “Play for free”. IE you can play for free and begin the journey into all those fancy features they just noted about. Guild Wars 2 features. Keyword here is begin (please pay us money to see the rest!). So the trailer doesnt actually mean anything unless it had stated specifically that all this we just showed you is free.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Why was my first thought about this post, “The chore game is free?”

Let’s wait for Saturday. Assuming IGN wasn’t blowing smoke, we could still be looking at something very different from how other games handle such things. There was a ginormous CDI taking in a lot of community feedback on design on this, after all.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Making this game F2P is unacceptable. 100% unacceptable.

Posted by: ThreeHitDown.2169

ThreeHitDown.2169

That was data mined months ago. Level 15 cap isn’t F2P, that’s a trial cap.

Im pretty sure the reddit post was recent.But i could be wrong.It makes no sense for the game to go f2p
I would like to add that the f2p is gonna be basically a trial like WoW’s trial.

(edited by ThreeHitDown.2169)

Agent Noun.7350

However…

Is this all you are going to do today, is go back and forth between these two threads trying to stir up things. You can have limitless adventure when you play GW2, on a trial account not so much. But again you are just jumping to conclusions, the game will NOT be going full F2P in the near future. Maybe it will never go fully F2P, there will be restrictions in place that limit what the account can do, just like every other game that has allowed F2P accounts.

But you do not want logic, so carry on.

Have you watched the video? They’re showing off fractals and WvW. It says “play for free,” not “free trial.”

If there are restrictions on free accounts (and there likely will be), they are not going to be level restrictions.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Man… you still don’t get it. It doesn’t work like that… Megaserver cannot possibly create so many maps. Doesn’t matter, as others explained, it is just TRIAL. And I am quite okay with that.

You obviously don’t understand what are servers and what does the megaservers mean.

Look, a GW2 map server can say, handle 100 players. Once that server is full, all players that join that map go on another server.

It doesn’t matter if there 100 or 10000 players in the same map. At most, you’ll only have 100 of them on a single server.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

However…

play all of World vs. World. Trial accounts may participate in World vs. World but cannot enter the Eternal Battlegrounds or Borderlands maps.

EotM is technically WvW so the trial accounts (if any) will be limited to EotM. :P

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Behellagh.1468

datamined info earlier showed something about a trial account (this could be the F2P).

It also had datamined tidbits of maximum lvl of 15 for free trial (makes sense, only able to get into those start zone lvl 1-15 maps like queensdale)….

Couldn’t speak in map chats or use trading post and things like that either so I HIGHLY DOUBT its a full f2p game lol

Most likely just a free trial.

Thank you kindly for this info. I’m going to believe it until Anet says otherwise on Saturday.

That datamined info is over a year old. It is almost certainly not relevant. It’s probably something ArenaNet considered in the past and scrapped in favor of something else.

Your right its old and probably have some things changed but still. I highly doubt anet will put out a completely F2P, full edition of the core gw2 game….

We will know on saturday thou!

Nooh I said I wanna believe til Saturday! Shhhh! xD

Sorry Candy, leaked trailer just showed the worst thing possible…. fractals, sPvP, WvW, all of it was accessible for F2P accounts…. this doesn’t look good lol. Hopefully some restrictions will be applied but it looks like they will still have access to quite a bit of things….

It showed fractals, it didn’t say fractals. It also showed cinematic footage that isn’t actually part of the game.

The text in the trailer says:

• Leap into an award-winning world
  • Experience unlimited adventure
  • Challenge others in world-class PvP
  • and Massive World Vs World battles

and ends in a title card with the F2P URL.

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

Of course not.

I want challenging content that people will do. Most people in gw2 go for easy dungeon paths and easy fights. People skip triple trouble because it’s too hard.

Nobody wants to do the hard stuff because the rewards are exactly the same as easy ones…

I wish Anet would give us better rewards for doing more challenging content :/

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

yeap… seems nice times are now certainly over…

Agent Noun.7350

People: those restrictions on the first page are over a year old. They also seem to conflict with the trailer that has been mirrored on YouTube. They are not reliable, any more than anything datamined over a year ago is reliable.

It’s certain that ArenaNet experimented with that idea, but to say that it definitely means GW2 is not going to have real F2P because something about trial accounts was datamined a year ago is astonishingly obtuse.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

F2P in pve would likely kill the good community that currently inhabits the game. I think it would be an awesome thing for the PvP side.

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

The Brazilian kid hasn’t had 3 years worth of enjoyment from the game, you did. You got three years worth of enjoyment for what you paid for. And if that doesn’t make sense to you then maybe this will.

The time you spend working is worth a certain amount of money you gain. You then pay money for other things in life for enjoyment. They both have value. You got three years worth of enjoyment from a game the Brazilian kid can’t. He can’t go back in time and get those three years. If you feel like the three years people spent enjoying this game isn’t worth anything then you must also be fine with working for free since apparently your time has no value.

Regardless people still have to pay for the expansion. You’re acting like ANET is just like “Here! Here’s the entirety of everything the game has to offer free of charge to everyone!”

(edited by sevenDEADLY.5281)

Posted by: speedstorm.2140

speedstorm.2140

This was my 1st reaction.

Agent Noun.7350

Remember, too, that the F2P will apparently not extend to Heart of Thorns content.

My guess is that they’re going to make the base game free going forward but charge for expansions.

Behellagh.1468

While the reddit post was recent the link was to a page that was a list of stuff data mined in mid July, LAST YEAR.

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

The most you’d get is the cost of the expansion.

CureForLiving.5360

People: those restrictions on the first page are over a year old. They also seem to conflict with the trailer that has been mirrored on YouTube. They are not reliable, any more than anything datamined over a year ago is reliable.

It’s certain that ArenaNet experimented with that idea, but to say that it definitely means GW2 is not going to have real F2P because something about trial accounts was datamined a year ago is astonishingly obtuse.

I’m still holding out for ‘play a free trial’ and not ‘play full game for free’.
Wishful thinking perhaps.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

/Sigh

Wait for an official statement on the supposed “F2P” outrage from Anet, which we don’t even have confirmed that it will be going Free-to-play.

Gah, the internet truly overreacts sometimes.

Yunielesca.2850

I’m still holding out for ‘play a free trial’ and not ‘play full game for free’.
Wishful thinking perhaps.

Except that the link at the end of the trailer says play for free and not free trial.

Agent Noun.7350

If gw2 is going to be f2p, will we be able to get a $100 refund on HoT? Because there is no use in buying an expansion for a f2p game, that won’t be played anymore.

You know only the base game is going to be free, according to the leak, right? They’re still charging for the expansion.

That said, they were pretty generous with refunds for GW2 back on launch, so if you’re just saying you refuse to play a game where any part of it is F2P, then you might be able to get a refund.

CureForLiving.5360

Well players who have recently purchased the game in order to ‘give it a try’ will definitely feel somewhat cheated by this. Veteran players probably won’t be able to get refunds since you still need to purchase HoT to access HoT content (as far as I can tell)

Posted by: Aramilion.6709

Aramilion.6709

I agree with everything what the threat creator says… I’m just waiting for Saturday to let Anet say what they need and wanna to say.

But I’m worried… And scared… This game means so much to me… Just…

I need someone from Anet team say just: “Don’t worry”. It would calm me down…

For now… only thing we can do it waiting… And not thinking to much. Wish You all luck :P

Agent Noun.7350

I wonder which model they’re going to go with. Either:

- Core game free, Heart of Thorns and all future expansions bought separately (sort of like GW1’s campaigns)
- Core game free, only the most recent expansion costs money, meaning Heart of Thorns would go free when the next expansion is released (seems less likely)

Posted by: McViolin.8547

McViolin.8547

The Brazilian kid hasn’t had 3 years worth of enjoyment from the game, you did. You got three years worth of enjoyment for what you paid for. And if that doesn’t make sense to you then maybe this will. Your time was worth that money, if you don’t agree then maybe you’d like to work for free from now on since you apparently don’t think your time is worth anything.

And now he gets to have the same experience I had without paying a cent. It would be nice if Anet did something to thank their players who have been playing since beta instead of trying to drive us away.

Posted by: Late For Tea.1846

Late For Tea.1846

You’ll still have 3 years on the free players. Once they experience the game for 3 years, you’re at 6. Yes, its that simple.