IGN Tweet & Core Game = F2P - what does this mean? [unconfirmed]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

RAID HYPE

Are we all getting free WoW subs for a month?

There’s nothing wrong with raids. We already have considerably less challenging versions of them (open world zergs).

Hopfully these real raids offer great drops/rewards, rather than just salvage → gold → craft

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I wonder which model they’re going to go with. Either:

- Core game free, Heart of Thorns and all future expansions bought separately (sort of like GW1’s campaigns)
- Core game free, only the most recent expansion costs money, meaning Heart of Thorns would go free when the next expansion is released (seems less likely)

Every expansion will include all the previous ones.

In the future, if we release further Guild Wars 2 expansions, we plan to offer all of the prior expansions, the core game, and the latest expansion for one single purchase price.

Posted by: Dhorghar.5249

Dhorghar.5249

The restrictions were datamined by the almighty that_shaman long ago.

Only one or two character slots

Limit of level 15

Seems like a limit on how high a “rank” you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)

Only able to send mail to friends.

Can’t send items or gold through mail

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t access main WvW maps (EB and Borderlands)

Can’t sell items on TP.

(edited by Dhorghar.5249)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

If true, this will likely be a last nail in the coffin for me. (No, you cannot have my stuff).

I don’t have a great deal of faith in Anet

/thread

Posted by: Agent Noun.7350

Agent Noun.7350

Limit of level 15

Seems like a limit on how high a “rank” you can get (specific to trial or possibly PvP related)

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

http://thatshaman.blogspot.com.es/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html

Like we’ve said a lot in this thread, these do not gel with what’s said in the leaked trailer, and that datamine is from over a year ago. It’s not necessarily relevant.

It does, however, show that ArenaNet is aware that restrictions need to exist to protect the game’s economy.

Posted by: Rika.7249

Rika.7249

If true, this will likely be a last nail in the coffin for me. (No, you cannot have my stuff).

Can I have your s-

Oh.

Posted by: Graka.9457

Graka.9457

I usually don’t post very much on the official forums, usually I hang out on Reddit, or just mind my own buisness, but after the last few weeks and with today some things need to be said.

Arena Net, please for the love of God start communicating both before and after you make decisions or have leaks. Just a few days ago you removed Karma boosters without saying anything ahead of time, basically leaving people with many “enchanted boosters” that were worthless to them leaving them feeling as if they were screwed on boost purchases. Then today IGN jumps the gun on your Saturday announcement, which I understand really sucks, but you have the community tearing itself apart over it. You need to say something to nip stuff in the butt, this was the whole reason you moved Gaile over to communication was to start talking more. You really need to address this stuff and speak to the community, all you do is pit us against each other and by the time you do say something many people are so angry they have just had enough.

Please Anet, talk to us.

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Posted by: BrooksP.4318

BrooksP.4318

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

http://thatshaman.blogspot.com.es/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html

Like we’ve said a lot in this thread, these do not gel with what’s said in the leaked trailer, and that datamine is from over a year ago. It’s not necessarily relevant.

It does, however, show that ArenaNet is aware that restrictions need to exist to protect the game’s economy.

Also those restrictions seem more for a trial account then a F2P account. Doubt thats accurate.

Posted by: urfrid.5971

urfrid.5971

Those restrictions were from the trial accounts people could make to try out the game couple of months and a year ago back.

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Games breed toxic communities. A lot of the games you see with toxic communities aren’t due to those games being F2P, but because of certain aspects of the games where they pit players against each other. WoW for an example, for the longest time subscription game, had damage meters. On raids & dungeons if you didn’t do top tier damage or top tier heals, you were laughed at and harassed. That’s just one example where toxic communities were bred from what the game allowed rather than whether a game is F2P or not.

And if people don’t think there are toxic segments of the GW2 community, you need to either open your eyes more or play different game modes. There’s plenty of that to go around in GW2.

Also note that the way GW2 is designed, players are not playing against each other for loot in PvE. This alleviates a lot of the issues that creates a toxic environment. You see this in other MMO’s. GW2’s PvE is designed so everybody’s rewarded for participation. If you didn’t get something, you get angry at the game rather than at other players.

I think F2P will work fine in GW2. You’ll get bad apples for sure, but overall with this game 3 years old, they deserve props for wanting to grow the game rather than let it sit stale and dwindle in player population. You simply can’t rely on vet playerbase forever, people leave. F2P is a good way to bring new blood into the game.

This is what I was trying to argue above but you did it better.

Basically, listen to this post. If GW2 does have an especially great community, I guarantee the game’s price tag is not the reason for it.

The price tag is the reason why channels aren’t a mess of Cyrillic and Portuguese though.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

BrooksP.4318

Forum Battle Royals are much more fun though.

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

Yes, they do match up with what is in the trailer. The only thing people can point to is WvW, yet the files Thatshaman datamined was restrictions on the borderlands and EB. Guess what, EOTM is still WvW. Not to mention all those things are in the game files still.

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

Outdated info that has been posted by many others before you. Please read the thread thoroughly.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

They do talk to us and I am not angry over any of this nonsense. I suggest everyone just wait and see what they announce when they announce it at PAX or whatever it is lol.

A little GW2 quote to hopefully settle everyone down some!:

“relax, you’ll live longer”

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Qugi.2653

Qugi.2653

For all you who say you will quit if free account is true please change password to something you will never remember. We don’t want I quit ghosts hanging around in forum talking bad all the time.

;)

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

seriously. why anet keep testing my endure ability.

first: outfit replace armor skin.
second: no main updated. for 8 month (not included new skin system)
third: pricing for HOT
forth: those new weapon for class. ( war horn for ele, torch for war, staff for Thief) really?

now free core game for everyone??? if thats the case Veteran Deserved free to HOT

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not worried. Not worried if the free accounts are limited. Nor am I worried if they’ve basically got everything a core account has now, including PvP, WvW including EB/Borderlands).

There have been a lot of things announced recently that make more sense if Anet had these plans for full free to play coming up. Pact Commander mastery track with the goal of helping new players and tools to go along with it. PvP leagues. WvW population changes. And increased account security options.

Prediction 1: In order to get a free account, you’ll need to provide a valid mobile or landline phone number for SMS authentication. One number per one free account. (GoogleVoice and other such numbers will not work.)
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-new-way-to-protect-your-account/
This will prevent most bot/spam accounts from being created. It also means those accounts will already have 2-factor authentication from the beginning greatly limiting whether they could be compromised. It will also mean everyone can’t just roll up as many accounts as they need for bank storage alts.

Prediction 2: Ranked PvP gets turned into leagues as previously announced. Free accounts get unranked access.
More people playing PvP in general is a good thing – it keeps matches from getting stale and matchmaking works much better with larger numbers of people queueing. GW2 also gets a bump as far as esports goes with free PvP access.

Prediction 3: Free accounts get full WvW access, not only EOTM.
This could go a LONG way to resolving population imbalances in lower tiers. It may sound bad at first to dump a lot of free players on the lower tiers – but as long as queue times don’t get out of control, everyone wins with more people in WvW spread across all the servers that were lacking.

I hope they would institute one valid phone number per account for F2P because, as of now, you can link several accounts to one phone number.

Other than that, we should have seen this coming; all those signs above pointed to it. I just never thought, in my wildest dreams, Guild Wars, in any incarnation, would go Free to Play. =(

Qugi.2653

Maybe arena net require HoT to get daily login rewards now. If that happen that guy who always talks about his 30 accounts is going to be very sad.

;)

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

forth: those new weapon for class. ( war horn for ele, torch for war, staff for Thief)

1) Armor skins still exist, as do Outfits.

2) There have been several updates, such as the Lunar event 6 months ago, the rebuilding of Lion’s Arch in June, as well as the massive Specialization change the same day. Although I must agree there has been a lack of content updates.

3) That complaint was rectified.

4) Those complaints were all subjective opinions, not something that Anet did wrong; some of the community for whichever profession received warhorn/torch would have been frustrated regardless. I am sure there are some that are annoyed at Necromancer’s receiving the Greatsword. Subjective opinions are that – subjective.

Posted by: Substatic.6958

Substatic.6958

Will players who payed for the actual game get any free gems or anything?

Posted by: DevilLordLaser.8619

DevilLordLaser.8619

Poor ArenaNet. Their big announcement spoiled by a finger-fumbler on IGN. Then nine pages of what I have absolutely no doubt is a bunch of snarling and rabid hatefulness, given the general atmosphere of this forum, with no information whatsoever to back it up.

It’s times like this where I totally agree with the industry – leaks like this suck, hard. I would’ve rather seen it for myself on Saturday than browse the Dulfy page and find a reported leak. Ugh.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

Key phase there is “long ago”. No reason to believe this has anything to do with whatever is planning. And you ignore the sections that clearly use the work “trial”.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I do not see why any of us should. In any case, there is no way any of us could know the answer to your question yet. We will need to wait and see what comes out over the weekend and beyond regarding the entire subject.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Qugi.2653

Why would you get free gems? You play the game for a long time now. Also you do get free gems with some achievement chest reward. I got 400 yesterday from achievement chest. There are your free gems.

;)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

The karma change sucked, and hopefully it was an insight more than an intentional change without notice.

But I see absolutely no problem with them not commenting on IGN’s leak. They have a schedule in place, a specific set of announcements to make. Particularly since said announcements are slated for a large reveal at a major event, I don’t expect them to spill the beans beforehand just because of a leak. Official info IS coming. And its only a few days away.

If the community wants to “tear themselves apart” over incomplete information when they only have to wait a few days for the official word, their problem, I say.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

People are going to be demanding compensation for this too? You don’t need any kitten compensation.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

Understanding that these limits applied to trial accounts a year ago, given these limits to a potential F2P base, that would be pretty reasonable honestly.

Given this setup, anyone could try GW2 anytime.

I would add an auto-delete inactive F2P accounts after maybe ~30 days or so. But yeah. Given these kinds of restrictions, I’d be okay with this.

That’d be a lot of work so if they’re not already planning something like this, I wouldn’t lose any sleep if it was just IGN being weird.

7.5/10 too much hearsay.

BrooksP.4318

People are going to be demanding compensation for this too? You don’t need any kitten compensation.

Yeah not looking forward to the whine walls about people feeling they “deserve” compensation for buying and playing a game for 1-3 years. However it will happen sadly.

xarallei.4279

good and ……… finally!

Yup, that’s great news at least.

Though I’m sure the anti-raid crowd is pitching a fit. Oh well, too bad for them.

Posted by: nehezbegar.1065

nehezbegar.1065

Yeah not looking forward to the whine walls about people feeling they “deserve” compensation for buying and playing a game for 1-3 years. However it will happen sadly.

I wondering if we gonna see that huge backlash, like whe had when ANet announced HoT.

Posted by: IronPhoenix.2045

IronPhoenix.2045

Guys That Shaman already said in July that Trail Versions are coming so its not get F2P its just a trial account. http://thatshaman.blogspot.de/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html
“You have reached the trial limit, but you can do much more by upgrading to a full account. Click the “Upgrade” button on your screen to upgrade now!"

xarallei.4279

Well, I’m actually glad the news leaked now because at least it (hopefully) will not eclipse the raid news on Saturday like the HoT thing totally ended up eclipsing the guild hall news. Get it all out of your system now people!

Posted by: Graka.9457

Graka.9457

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

How does this not gel with what was said in the trailer. And I quote.

“Leap into an award winning world
Experience limitless adventure
Challenge others in world class pvp
And massive world vs world battles”

EOTM World vs world battles,
Non team arena battles world class pvp
Limitless adventure, play 1-25 as much as you want!

Like seriously, thats all the trailer says and you people are like IT GUARANTEES THINGS IT DOESNT SAY!

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

BrooksP.4318

I wondering if we gonna see that huge backlash, like whe had when ANet announced HoT.

It probably won’t be as bad, since with HoT it was under the false notion that people were rebuying the core game, which lead to some of the anger. However there will some regardless.

xarallei.4279

Iron, that was one YEAR ago. It’s highly doubtful that information is still accurate.

Khisanth.2948

I hope they would institute one valid phone number per account for F2P because, as of now, you can link several accounts to one phone number.

Other than that, we should have seen this coming; all those signs above pointed to it. I just never thought, in my wildest dreams, Guild Wars, in any incarnation, would go Free to Play. =(

Shouldn’t be a big deal to be able to do a phone number ban(a bit like an IP ban).

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Guys That Shaman already said in July that Trail Versions are coming so its not get F2P its just a trial account. http://thatshaman.blogspot.de/2014/07/upcoming-features-from-entanglement.html
“You have reached the trial limit, but you can do much more by upgrading to a full account. Click the “Upgrade” button on your screen to upgrade now!"

July … 2014

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Simzani.4318

Simzani.4318

I don’t think that the community will change a lot. GW2 has the friendlier online community i saw, and i assume that most people that want to play gw2 already own it. It came 3 years ago, had many massive disccounts and cheap keys are all time avaiable. f2p, p2p anf b2p are the same players, wow is a sub game but the community is kitten, some f2p have nice communities, ect.. I guess they want full f2p because the game sell very little now, it’s more the occasion to make an annoucment. They like to overhype their tiny work.

I’d prefer that arenanet make the LS3 free and don’t charge us 50E for their several mini-maps full of boring events and their bunch of ui tweaks. Since the launch of their game, arenanet took the standards of the f2p game and lowered them. They have nearly stopped working on gw2 and only produce low quality low quantity content.

(edited by Simzani.4318)

Posted by: JUN YANG.4328

JUN YANG.4328

1) how long you have been seen new armor skin on TP?? this last one is Rampart they release this on apr 2014.. more then one and a half year. after that all outfit…

2)Lunar event, lion’s arch to me is not main updated. nothing move on. 8 month they only release item on TP for survive

3) it did, but price change?

4) it is subjective thats why i said testing MY endure ability. to me only necro gs i like.
gruad, mesmer is acceptable.
war, ele, thief, really?? i only can said " What the hell is that"

i think lots of people still think they are cool. but to me black is black, white is white. no grey area.

forth: those new weapon for class. ( war horn for ele, torch for war, staff for Thief)

1) Armor skins still exist, as do Outfits.

2) There have been several updates, such as the Lunar event 6 months ago, the rebuilding of Lion’s Arch in June, as well as the massive Specialization change the same day. Although I must agree there has been a lack of content updates.

3) That complaint was rectified.

4) Those complaints were all subjective opinions, not something that Anet did wrong; some of the community for whichever profession received warhorn/torch would have been frustrated regardless. I am sure there are some that are annoyed at Necromancer’s receiving the Greatsword. Subjective opinions are that – subjective.

Posted by: drgast.1469

drgast.1469

I’m not here to argue the merits of a f2p model or against it, but rather to simply say that if this indeed coming I feel like this is information that should have been shared with people before Pre-Purchase happened. Not because it would change my decision necessarily, but because consumers deserve to know what they are getting before they spend their money. I’m a long time consumer of GW dating back to Prophecies and I’m going to play regardless. However, I also convinced many friends to get the expansion early when I saw the core game would be included for free. But if I had known the core game would be free on its own, I would have said wait and try it first. I hope that distinction is clear.

Again, I know all the information isn’t out obviously and I love the game. I simply don’t like feeling mislead and if people spent money when they didn’t have to…that starts to qualify, I think. Either way, looking forward to more information this weekend. Cheers.

Posted by: IDICERI.4268

IDICERI.4268

Maybe they only get 1 character slot. I would be fine with that.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.
Einstein

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

@ Jun Yang

About the armor skins. They aren’t going to put more armor in the gemstore. All new armor will be in game, probably with the expansion, as ingame reward for doing content. This is probably a response to numerous threads requesting armor to be ingame only.

Source
“For example, armor sets are now exclusively designed as in-game rewards while outfits are primarily Gem Store offerings.”

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

The price tag is the reason why channels aren’t a mess of Cyrillic and Portuguese though.

Huh? What’s your point?

Qugi.2653

No one mislead. If someone was to be mislead arena net would have to give untrue information. They did not. They said buy HoT expansion and get base game free for new players. Player decided to buy it and get the expansion and base game. If this rumor is true then only mislead if arena net still sold base game full price and then a short time later give it for free. Would you feel mislead if you tell a friend to buy the base game last December then the game not much later was on sale for ten dollars. No. Also if rumor is true we do not know how long before it happen anyway and during that your friends are playing the game.

;)

Posted by: Zalavaaris.5329

Zalavaaris.5329

Yea… the trailer wouldn’t advertise all of these max level activities only to limit them to lvl 15. They showed wvw so that also implies that the free players will also gain access to rhat. Guys I don’t think we are looking at a trial here. This looks like full on free to play.

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

I had my issues with their HoT pricing/bundling, and don’t have much hope in F2P turning out all that well. But I don’t expect anything as compensation for this change. I bought the collector’s edition back in 2012, and I got my money’s worth out of it. Anet doesn’t owe me any compensation, just respect and fair/equal treatment as a customer. Which I feel they’ve given me, for the most part. They made some missteps with HoT’s initial bundling, but did correct that to a fair enough offering.

I will say that some token of appreciation might be a good move to make, but I don’t expect it of them. It was certainly nice when ESO gave former subscribers some cash shop currency, but even then I felt that was more of a gesture of appreciation and gratitude than some necessary compensation.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Yea… the trailer wouldn’t advertise all of these max level activities only to limit them to lvl 15. They showed wvw so that also implies that the free players will also gain access to rhat. Guys I don’t think we are looking at a trial here. This looks like full on free to play.

Indeed. The datamined stuff is like 1 year old, so this is likely something completly new.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Limit of level 15

Can’t speak in map chat

Can’t access Team Arenas

Can’t sell items on TP.

Yes, they do match up with what is in the trailer. The only thing people can point to is WvW, yet the files Thatshaman datamined was restrictions on the borderlands and EB. Guess what, EOTM is still WvW. Not to mention all those things are in the game files still.

A lot of stuff are still in the game files. GW2 was built in a way that content is usually just added over others, nothing or barely nothing is removed. (Yes, you can still find stuff from releases from years ago [like Labyrintine Cliff map assets, per example] in the game files and those aren’t even valid or available anymore). Then, stuff still existing in games files doesn’t really mean they are still valid.

Posted by: Vissarion.6509

Vissarion.6509

My guess is, gw 2 is going f2p from this Saturday on till the expansion hits.
the site and the trailer are ready welcome.guildwars2.com/free-to-play

They called us TEMPESTs, but we can use our elite to cheat death instead

Khisanth.2948

I had my issues with their HoT pricing/bundling, and don’t have much hope in F2P turning out all that well. But I don’t expect anything as compensation for this change. I bought the collector’s edition back in 2012, and I got my money’s worth out of it. Anet doesn’t owe me any compensation, just respect and fair/equal treatment as a customer. Which I feel they’ve given me, for the most part. They made some missteps with HoT’s initial bundling, but did correct that to a fair enough offering.

I will say that some token of appreciation might be a good move to make, but I don’t expect it of them. It was certainly nice when ESO gave former subscribers some cash shop currency, but even then I felt that was more of a gesture of appreciation and gratitude than some necessary compensation.

It will depend on how badly things blow up.

Just look at what happen with HoT and the character slot.