If GW2 really does aim towards Casuals

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sleuth.7964

Sleuth.7964

Casuals want to earn their stuff too, no one said anything about no effort- it might take them longer but generally they don’t mind, because they are casual.

What they do not want is to have a gear tier or gated content that you have to play in order to get to play what you want to play.
or in the words of Anet " preparing to have fun"

But it’s already here. If you want to progress through higher levels of fractals, you better grind time gated dailies and guild missions. But since it does not concern casuals (as they don’t do higher fractals) you don’t mind, right?

Sure high level fractals is good it was a start but its not enough and that was a while ago. And you only get 1 reward which is the backpiece and rings. If they did something with large scale grouping it would be more ideal.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Why do you think casuals don’t do high level fractals?

Casuals want to earn their stuff too, no one said anything about no effort- it might take them longer but generally they don’t mind, because they are casual.

What they do not want is to have a gear tier or gated content that you have to play in order to get to play what you want to play.

But it’s already here. If you want to progress through higher levels of fractals, you better grind time gated dailies and guild missions. But since it does not concern casuals (as they don’t do higher fractals) you don’t mind, right?

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I was referring to open world PvE content- the addition of ascendant armor sort of begs that question doesn’t it?
I do not care that you need AR for high lvl fractals- that was the purpose of introducing fractals in the first place.
Who says a casual player can’t earn what ever items they need over time to do high lvl fractals? Especially with guild mission and laurels?

I wouldn’t know because I ignore everything about ascended out of principle and I don’t find the idea of doing the same set of dungeons over and over to get to higher levels of the same thing fun at all.
It sounds like the definition of boring actually

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Sleuth.7964

I was referring to open world PvE content- the addition of descendant armor sort of begs that question doesn’t it?
I do not care that you need AR for high lvl fractals- that was the purpose of introducing fractals in the first place.
Who says a casual player can’t earn what ever items they need over time to do high lvl fractals? Especially with guild mission and laurels?

I wouldn’t know because I ignore everything about ascended out of principle and I don’t find the idea of doing the same set of dungeons over and over to get to higher levels of the same thing fun at all.
It sounds like the definition of boring actually

And it is boring which is why i dont like it either. It’s not really hardcore it more like grind and farming.

Posted by: Kira.2903

Kira.2903

I would love to see some kind of hard mode in all dungeons. In this mode you cant use any wp to res so if your team are killed its over, just like in gw1. Also mobs AND rewards are boosted. Maybe give hard mode players a chance on unique skins or something if you clear the dungeon.

Implement this and I am sure many of the players that seek harder rewarding content will be happy, I dont think it would be that hard or time consuming to fix compared to give out completely new dungeons.

S P E L L B O U N D —~--Mesmer —~--Human lvl 80
S P E L L B O R N —~--Necro —~--Sylvari lvl 80
I Kira I —~--Ele —~--Sylvari lvl 80

Posted by: xephire.8324

xephire.8324

I would love to see some kind of hard mode in all dungeons. In this mode you cant use any wp to res so if your team are killed its over, just like in gw1. Also mobs AND rewards are boosted. Maybe give hard mode players a chance on unique skins or something if you clear the dungeon.

Implement this and I am sure many of the players that seek harder rewarding content will be happy, I dont think it would be that hard or time consuming to fix compared to give out completely new dungeons.

Then people will start qqing about their team members being noob in the dungeon or not wearing the best gear and kicking everyone out of their own party.

Posted by: Kira.2903

Kira.2903

And that would not happen with a completely new dungeon?
I am afraid that any hard content will bring qq:ing like that. Reallyhard content is not made for completely random pugs. Coordination and teamwork is the key to clear really hard content. Also if you would pug content like this its kind of your own fault when you have no idea of your teams skill level.

S P E L L B O U N D —~--Mesmer —~--Human lvl 80
S P E L L B O R N —~--Necro —~--Sylvari lvl 80
I Kira I —~--Ele —~--Sylvari lvl 80

Sleuth.7964

And that would not happen with a completely new dungeon?
I am afraid that any hard content will bring qq:ing like that. Really hard content is not made for completely random pugs. Coordination and teamwork is the key to clear really hard content. Also if you would pug content like this its kind of your own fault when you have no idea of your teams skill level.

Hardcore players are completely aware of this and we don’t care. Any Hardmode dungeon that’s not a cluster zerg or and large scale dungeon (raid) OMG! is much less grindy then the fractals. Because in a dungeon there are loot tables and you could get your loot either by doing the fights or commendations. I prefer like the scarlet bags to where you have a high chance of getting that shoulder skin. Because to get to high lvl fractals you have to spam the other 40 levels. To do a nightmare mode dungeon or raid its all already there you don’t need to waste your time from lvl 1-50.

It allows you to get right into the action if your ready and are good enough which is what I would like. GW1 had this as well.

(And the only people i can see QQ about hard content is casuals not hardcore players)

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Go solo Arah.

People have done it. It’s possible. You’re just too casual.

To receive 17 blues and 3 greens? Its you who should go solo it cuz its so kitten worth it. Soloing crap will never come close to being as epic as doing something challenging with friends or a group in general. The problem is that there’s absolutely nothing. Nothing challenging is in the game and nothing challenging planned for the game (as far as i know). Instead we’re getting that box thingy AGAIN….

You dont get any extra from when you would do it with a group of 5 people the time and effort is not worth it. That’s not REAL hardcore content. Thats artificial difficulty. Theres no rolling so even with it was only you its still the SAME if it was with 5. Please your not fooling anyone.

Are you telling this to me? Cuz THAT’S exactly what im saying lol

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I’ll say this again. Being casual or hardcore depends on the amount of time you spend in the game, not the difficulty of the content. A casual player can still do difficult content, and a hardcore player can still do easy content.

Once Anet makes a dungeon, (preferably with 10-20 man parties), and if it took about an hour or 2 to complete, then and only then could GW2 say that they have hardcore content. All Anet needs to do is create long content and give proper rewards at the end for the time required to do that content and it will please people.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Sleuth.7964

I’ll say this again. Being casual or hardcore depends on the amount of time you spend in the game, not the difficulty of the content. A casual player can still do difficult content, and a hardcore player can still do easy content.

Once Anet makes a dungeon, (preferably with 10-20 man parties), and if it took about an hour or 2 to complete, then and only then could GW2 say that they have hardcore content. All Anet needs to do is create long content and give proper rewards at the end for the time required to do that content and it will please people.

Not true sorry being hardcore is both through playing a game you get better and you can can complete difficult content most causal players are terrible and i’ve experienced this with my 10+ of playing mmos.

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

Ohhh another complaining and whining thread! How lovely! And yet here you still are, playing the game you so ‘despise’. How good you must feel investing all that time in the game and on the forums for something you don’t enjoy.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Direksone.3867

Not true sorry being hardcore is both through playing a game you get better and you can can complete difficult content most causal players are terrible and i’ve experienced this with my 10+ of playing mmos.

Casual is a term used to define a certain group of players that don’t play so much. Below x hours. It is NOT based on skill.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

Sleuth.7964

Casual is a term used to define a certain group of players that don’t play so much. Below x hours. It is NOT based on skill.

Sure but we all know the majority of causal players are not as good as hardcore players skill based

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Actually last reported quarter. 2nd quarter, the game had sales of roughly $9 million USD a month not $3 million.

Well, I am confused. It does show Sales Break down by game, and it shows 28,899,000,000 KRW (Which is ~$26 Million in US Dollars, which is a little less then $9Million per month) But in their sales by subsidaries, it shows Arenanet sales were at 11,459,000,000 KRW (~$10 Million).

Ah, you know what, NC Interactive (NCSoft West), publisher of GW2 and technically the parent company for the West probably also takes in a part of those sales.

It’s my belief that NCWest and NCEurope get a share for box and gem card sales at retail that go toward their sale totals. ANet gets their cut of the box sales plus all the direct online sales including online gem sales that go to their sales.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Direksone.3867

Actually last reported quarter. 2nd quarter, the game had sales of roughly $9 million USD a month not $3 million.

Well, I am confused. It does show Sales Break down by game, and it shows 28,899,000,000 KRW (Which is ~$26 Million in US Dollars, which is a little less then $9Million per month) But in their sales by subsidaries, it shows Arenanet sales were at 11,459,000,000 KRW (~$10 Million).

Ah, you know what, NC Interactive (NCSoft West), publisher of GW2 and technically the parent company for the West probably also takes in a part of those sales.

It’s my belief that NCWest and NCEurope get a share for box and gem card sales at retail. ANet gets their cut of the box sales plus all the direct online sales including online gem sales.

Which is true. Money comes in: goes to NCsoft> Anet gets a share or fixed fee or whatever and that’s that. NCsoft will then decide if they invest more money or not into the game (for example for an expansion or what not)

Direksone.3867

Sure but we all know the majority of causal players are not as good as hardcore players skill based

Lately I’ve been playing a lot because I’ve got more time for it, but otherwise I’d consider myself a casual and I hold myself pretty well. I also know plenty of people that play a LOT but are not that good. Some people don’t care about it either.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

I love challenge and I hate your corrupted kind (woah that came across somewhat too melodramatic!). Challenge in and of itself is the reward: anything more is just a bonus. If you don’t think so, then you like to tell yourself that you want to overcome challenges when in reality you just crave to feel superior due to your “videogame achievements” which is honestly laughable.

And Arenanet recently started giving us challenging content: Candidate Trials t3 (done the intended way), Liadri + gambits, and now SAB hard mode. You are just upset that it’s not a dungeon (every MMo should be based on dungeons y’kno) and it doesn’t shower you more powerful gear.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Direksone.3867

I love challenge and I hate your corrupted kind (woah that came across somewhat too melodramatic!). Challenge in and of itself is the reward: anything more is just a bonus. If you don’t think so, then you like to tell yourself that you want to overcome challenges when in reality you just crave to feel superior due to your “videogame achievements” which is honestly laughable.

And Arenanet recently started giving us challenging content: Candidate Trials t3 (done the intended way), Liadri + gambits, and now SAB hard mode. You are just upset that it’s not a dungeon (every MMo should be based on dungeons y’kno) and it doesn’t shower you more powerful gear.

<3 I will dream about you tonight.

Wolfheart.1938

I’ll dream about your guild <3

Direksone.3867

Posted by: Ivonbeton.6814

Ivonbeton.6814

I’ve posted this in another thread, but because this is the exact same logical fallacy, I’ll post it here aswell :

The definition of “casual players” and “hardcore players” is rather problematic because only a minority has all the characteristics usually associated with one of the two groups.

I’ll demonstrate this by using my own case as an example. Like someone already mentioned, there are a lot of aging “mmo veterans” who are now prioritizing work or relations more than they used to. I’m one of them.

1) Casual usually also implies that a person is bad at the game. This is not the case for many of the older players, like me, who have a lot of experience in high level play (both in fps and mmo’s) and can easily adapt because of this experience.

2) Casual usually implies that a player has limited time and will only do what he really considers to be fun. To some extent this is true for me. As an older player who has seen it all before, I’m less easily persuaded to persue online goals that take a lot of time and effort. However, having less time doesn’t mean you don’t set goals and that you don’t achieve them in an equally efficient way as those who have more time to play. You just have to be more selective about the goals and have more patience. So if the same goals are achieved in a timely manner, is there any real difference? Where do you draw the line between casual and hardcore then?

3) Hardcore implies total dedication. Yet there are people who play the game often enough to not classify as casuals -according to the first two characteristics- but are not completly dedicated to the game.

As you can see, there are a lot of players that fall between the cracks when you define casual and hardcore. This dichotomy is really not durable. You might argue that the amount of time spent defines a hardcore player because this way he accumulates more experience than someone who plays a lot less. But as my example has shown, this disregards a lot of other aspects that also contribute to a player his accumulation of knowledge/experience: prior mmo experience, efficiency of the time played and perhaps also the intelligence of the individual.

tl:dr :Too many variables to talk about “casual” and “hardcore” as two seperate player groups.

(edited by Ivonbeton.6814)

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

What do you think of the current content, with skill achievements in the Gauntlet and funhouse?

Oh I think they’re great, I just don’t feel they can provide as much more “content” (figuratively of course) as difficulty settings can. This was probably one of my favorite things about Dark Souls: Beating the game immediately restarts it in a harder difficulty. But still, wanna reaffirm that yeah, this is becoming a better direction for them.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

Your perfect explanation right there ^. Thanks Direk.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

And I am here wondering why the “hardcore” players were more often than not the worse players to have in a group in WoW, and many other MMOs that I have played. Sure, they got their Uber Raiding Gear, but for some reason, they were the reason for more wipes in a group then the majority of the casuals I played with, plus the drama those hardcores would introduce in groups. There are some good apples in the hardcore group, though.

Posted by: Fletch.3572

Fletch.3572

As long as more difficult = purely cosmetic rewards (skins, titles, minis) I’m happy to see those who want to be challenged challenged.

Me, I’m too old and too laid back to do some of that stuff myself, but I don’t mind watching the replays on you-tube .

I don’t get this. At all.
The guy you enjoy watching doing more difficult and challenging things, that you don’t/wouldn’t even care/attempt to do, doesn’t deserve anything more than a trinket that’s slightly more shiny than yours?

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

As long as more difficult = purely cosmetic rewards (skins, titles, minis) I’m happy to see those who want to be challenged challenged.

Me, I’m too old and too laid back to do some of that stuff myself, but I don’t mind watching the replays on you-tube .

The guy you enjoy watching doing more difficult and challenging things, that you don’t/wouldn’t even care/attempt to do, doesn’t deserve anything more than a trinket that’s slightly more shiny than yours?

What other reward is there? They aren’t going to start handing out real money. Nearly all “tangible” rewards in this game are skins. Or minis.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Sleuth.7964

What other reward is there? They aren’t going to start handing out real money. Nearly all “tangible” rewards in this game are skins. Or minis.

they should reward ascended armor.

Morrigan.2809

so you still have made no comment on Liadri mini?
Did you play in the gauntlet at all?
and now you want ascended armour?
So you do want better stats after all

Gunnar’s Hold

Sleuth.7964

I haven’t been viewing this thread at the moment and I don’t know what the mini is and I did play gauntlet it was easy some of the stuff was a little tedious though the wind lady was not designed very well to me

And yes I want better stats but that’s just me I understand that they are adding ascended armor to the game which should be earned by raid style content IMO that’s very difficult then having some more grindy way for casuals

They are adding ascended armor so i don’t exactly know why your asking me that question in the first place.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I haven’t been viewing this thread at the moment and I don’t know what the mini is and I did play gauntlet it was easy some of the stuff was a little tedious though the wind lady was not designed very well to me

And yes I want better stats but that’s just me I understand that they are adding ascended armor to the game which should be earned by raid style content IMO that’s very difficult then having some more grindy way for casuals

They are adding ascended armor so i don’t exactly know why your asking me that question in the first place.

Completing every achievement in the Gauntlet is hard content in my opinion. Casuals can do this though. Casuals ain’t bad gamers, they merely have less time.

Completing the entire Gauntlet 50 times for a piece of armor is hardcore content.

The second is bad content imho, especially if said armor has more stats.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Sleuth.7964

Completing every achievement in the Gauntlet is hard content in my opinion. Casuals can do this though. Casuals ain’t bad gamers, they merely have less time.

Completing the entire Gauntlet 50 times for a piece of armor is hardcore content.

The second is bad content imho, especially if said armor has more stats.

All casual players are not bad but in my experience the majority are not that good. I have a lot of frustrating moments with them.

marnick.4305

I’ve been playing videogames for 24 years. Most of that time was as a hardcore gamer. I don’t need to be hardcore in GW2 to be good.

So please, give me a break. As a currently casual gamer, I’m a rather good gamer due to accumulated experience over the years.

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

marnick.4305

All casual players are not bad but in my experience the majority are not that good. I have a lot of frustrating moments with them.

Same goes for hardcore players. Not all of them are elitists, kittens or simply bad at the game but in my experience, the majority are kittens. I have a lot of frustrating moments with them. And you’re not making my perspective of hardcores any better with your posts.

At the very least, most casuals want to have fun. That’s something I rarely find among hardcores (although it does exist)

Morrigan.2809

oK I find it very hard to believe that you played the gauntlet and don’t know what the Liadri mini is.
It is the reward you get for defeating the final boss- Liadri the concealing darkness.
It is also currently the most prestigious item in the game, since they don’t have a title for doing that light up the darkness achievement.
It can only be earned by your own skill- no one else’s

I brought up the gauntlet because it is a very good example of skill based hard content that not everyone is able to do.
If a player found it too easy there are gambits to make it harder.
The reward is a mini- but it carries a lot of bragging rights because it means you did it yourself.
Unlike your example of Ascended armour which likely will be crafted just like the weapons.

You also mention Windcaller Kieldia
how was she badly designed?
Keep in mind that she is a tier 1 boss and fairly easy- I killed her in one try.

Gunnar’s Hold

Sleuth.7964

oK I find it very hard to believe that you played the gauntlet and don’t know what the Liadri mini is.
It is the reward you get for defeating the final boss- Liadri the concealing darkness.
It is also currently the most prestigious item in the game, since they don’t have a title for doing that light up the darkness achievement.

I brought up the gauntlet because it is a very good example of skill based hard content that not everyone is able to do.
The reward is a mini- but it carries a lot of bragging rights because it means you did it yourself.
Unlike your example of Ascended armour which likely will be crafted just like the weapons.

Keep in mind that she is a tier 1 boss and fairly easy- I killed her in one try.

I killed all the bosses in one try except for the guy with the dog

Yargesh.4965

Guy with the dog was not a boss.

Sleuth.7964

I slayed all my competitors in the Queens Gauntlet with one flawless try. Only the Norn with the Rock Dog managed to defeat me 3 times. After the 3rd I was victorious

You RPer

Morrigan.2809

That is your reply?
lol

So since the gauntlet is an example of hard content based on player skill with a unique reward that you can only get by completing it- what is wrong with the concept exactly?

Seems like a very good addition to the game- do able by everyone with the required skill- Casuals and hardcore’s alike.

Has a great reward for time spent and shows your dedication.

The only problem with it is that it is temporary.

Gunnar’s Hold

Morrigan.2809

I slayed all my competitors in the Queens Gauntlet with one flawless try. Only the Norn with the Rock Dog managed to defeat me 3 times. After the 3rd I was victorious

You RPer

And yet you somehow don’t know what the mini is? Surely you must have one?

Gunnar’s Hold

Yargesh.4965

That is your reply?
lol

So since the gauntlet is an example of hard content based on player skill with a unique reward that you can only get by completing it- what is wrong with the concept exactly?

Seems like a very good addition to the game- do able by everyone with the required skill- Casuals and hardcore’s alike.

It is not temporary, Colin commented in another thread about it. Sorry can’t remember which. The gold symbol (instead of the purple LS main part) means it will be left in game from what I understand.

Morrigan.2809

That is your reply?
lol

It is not temporary, Colin commented in another thread about it. Sorry can’t remember which. The gold symbol (instead of the purple LS main part) means it will be left in game from what I understand.

really?
that would be amazing!
you have made me very happy

Gunnar’s Hold

Yargesh.4965

yw

That is your reply?
lol

really?
that would be amazing!
you have made me very happy

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

Calling BS on killing Liadri in one try.

One – Piken Square

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

they should reward ascended armor.

Which will be a skin.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Wolfheart.1938

Calling BS on killing Liadri in one try.

Same here. OP post a link of your achievement tab plz? Don’t forget to show the “light up the darkness” achievement Sorry for being doubtful of your prowess.

P.s. I dreamt of doing WvW raids while listening to Individual Thought Patterns, is that dream close to reality Direk?
P.p.s. Stop giving labels to people such as hardcore or casual since everyone has their own definition of it anyways.

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)