If Glint's Lair & Labyrinth Were Fractals...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

…I would’ve played them every day. As well as the Teragriff fight, Shadow of the Dragon fight and others (hopefully Marionette – or leave that one for guild raids?).

Instead, I’ve done these things once (or a couple of times if you count achievement runs) & am never coming back there again. Why?

• User-unfriendly activation.
    • You need everyone to activate the same episode (and lose progress on current if it’s not finished).
    • You need everyone to have the episode done.
    • You do not have separate LFG sections for these instances.
  • Rewards.
    • There’s little point doing this content on your main; grinding open-world content for the rewards is both more fun and more rewarding.
    • Sometimes there’s a point doing it on your alt, but it is rarely enjoyable since it’s not your main and it often leads to frustration instead.
  • Too much focus on storytelling.
    • Unskippable dialogues and cutscenes anyone?

I understand that the new buyable Personal Story chapters is a source of money which caters to solo players in this MMORPG, and that dungeon grinding is something ANet economists dislike, and I do not want this thread to be another “need more dungeons” thread, but… honestly, it really feels like so much wasted potential.

So… how about at least duplicating some of the fights as fractals/sets of mini-dungeons?

TL;DR: rehashed content is better than no content.

Attachments:

20 level 80s and counting.

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Have you ever made a post on the forums where you aren’t complaining about something?

Glint’s Lair was great….. there was no doubt about that.

…however every great LS episode does not mean it needs to be recycled and tossed into FoTM. If they did recycle this LS into a fractal, I would not complain….. but encouraging Anet to “frankenstein” content is not something I want to see anyone doing, and I would much rather see “new” updates to FoTM not recycled ones. Besides that….. Anet made Echoes of the Past repeatable through your LS journal and you can experience it all over again whenever you like.

You also went into great detail about how this can’t be done solo….. but if you can’t complete this LS mission on your own, there are more important things you need to worry about.

Posted by: wasted.6817

wasted.6817

It’s a new episode, give them time, maybe they will make fractals out of it. They made MF and Aetherblade fractals that way. Except, both MF and AB already had solid mechanics in them, while GL and Laby don’t have such mechanics, they will require some significant additional work done.

Posted by: saventis.1485

saventis.1485

every LS is designed so you are able to play it alone or with friends
so far iv managed to do all of them
not gonna lie i died a few times so some of the took me a little while but in my mind thats the best bit i dont want super easy content where i kill every enemy the first time i see them by repeatedly pressing 1

and as for FOM
while i loved the living story content i kinda want it to stay there.
i would love it if the “re-skinned” some of the LS stuff ( like the ones u mentioned)
and put them out there as there own little stories but thats unlikely as they sorta said they are more or less done with dungeons for now

and as for paying for LS
u see it as a way to make money and while thats true its a way to create a more active player base so that when certain people cant complete a LS episode by themselves they have someone else to complete it with.
in a world where you could access it at any time you would be less inclined to log in every couple of weeks and more likey to wait until the season is over and then sorta binge game all the eps at once meaning that through out the whole season the game is less populated which in turn makes people think hmmm there arnt very many people on maybe ill wait till the seasons over like everyone else
its kind of a self perpetuating cycle that would lead to a much smaller player base

i get its annoying to pay for eps, i havnt had to yet because iv manged to log on at least once during the two weeks that they are live for free( not saying everyone can or anything just merely stating i have) and 200 gems is not alot really im not sure of the conversion rate but most players around level 80 should be able to afford that
i mean most players forget they have a bunch of mats in there bank they can sell and if they dont they have probly used them to make something and would probly understand how to make more gold( i am assuming here but where there is a will there is a way )you shouldnt really ever need to pay real money for the eps though in saying that there are still people who will need to and i do understand that it does suck for them but in the end its leading to a denser population in game and ultimately a better game.

this aint an attack or anything just my opinions ^^

Lishtenbird.2814

this aint an attack or anything just my opinions ^^

Indeed. And not that I focused on the stuff you argue on anyway.

It’s a new episode, give them time, maybe they will make fractals out of it. They made MF and Aetherblade fractals that way. Except, both MF and AB already had solid mechanics in them, while GL and Laby don’t have such mechanics, they will require some significant additional work done.

Of course I will, and yes, tweaks will be necessary, but making tweaks is easier than designing from scratch. I am saying what I would like to see, and maybe that will inspire some of the people up there if they are looking for an easy way to please the dungeon people with the already designed content.

tl;dr: rehashed content is better than no content.

You also went into great detail about how this can’t be done solo….. but if you can’t complete this LS mission on your own, there are more important things you need to worry about.

Where did you even get that? I complete them fairly easily solo, and if I die I tweak my build and complete it since I can’t guess fight mechanics just by looking at a monster. If anything, some fights are specific class-unfriendly and frustrating/boring, not hard.

I am saying that I want comfortably accessible, user-friendly, highly repeatable, reward-worth group content, and I see the new PS instances as a possible source of such within the current “no new dungeons” policy.

Have you ever made a post on the forums where you aren’t complaining about something?

(edited by Lishtenbird.2814)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

Where did you even get that? I complete them fairly easily solo, and if I die I tweak my build and complete it since I can’t guess fight mechanics just by looking at a monster. If anything, some fights are specific class-unfriendly and frustrating/boring, not hard.

I am saying that I want comfortably accessible, user-friendly, highly repeatable, reward-worth group content, and I see the new PS instances as a possible source of such within the current “no new dungeons” policy.

Reasons YOU listed why YOU cant do Glint’s Lair:

• You need everyone to activate the same episode (and lose progress on current if it’s not finished).
  • You need everyone to have the episode done.
  • You do not have separate LFG sections for these instances.

Its clear you are hellbent on doing this with a party.

Also, I’m happy for you that your threads aren’t literally 100% complaining, but I’m dissapointed that you aren’t familiar with sarcasm and rhetorical questioning.

Posted by: Goose.8195

Goose.8195

I really hope Glint’s Lair comes back in some form of a dungeon or a fractal. It was just too beautiful of an area to be a one-time deal.

[BBN] Big and Beautiful Norns
You dont have to be one to love one.

Lishtenbird.2814

I really hope Glint’s Lair comes back in some form of a dungeon or a fractal. It was just too beautiful of an area to be a one-time deal.

Not exactly a “one-time deal”, you can still do it, but there’s simply little point to do it in terms of comfort and rewards. If it was a fractal/dungeon, there would be much more incentive in going there and enjoying the already created content.

Goose.8195

Not exactly a “one-time deal”, you can still do it, but there’s simply little point to do it in terms of comfort and rewards. If it was a fractal/dungeon, there would be much more incentive in going there and enjoying the already created content.

I am not sure of the point of your post, whether you are agreeing with me or just telling me something that you think I didn’t know already.

Lishtenbird.2814

I am not sure of the point of your post, whether you are agreeing with me or just telling me something that you think I didn’t know already.

Well, on these forums, you never know… Sometimes people don’t even read past the first sentence, and you have to repeat things in a personal quote /shrug

Since you did know it, let’s say I am agreeing with you and elaborating

Goose.8195

Well, on these forums, you never know… Sometimes people don’t even read past the first sentence, and you have to repeat things in a personal quote /shrug

Since you did know it, let’s say I am agreeing with you and elaborating

That’s fair. Yea I remember first entering that instance with a couple of guildies and one of the first things we all said was “Wow I hope this somehow gets turned into a dungeon or fractal.” So we could be in a beautiful zone, and of course reap rewards each time

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Marionette and Breachmaker battles, if they return, will be raid-style content.

I actually really hope they do return. I loved those fights so much, but they are unsuitable for a 5-man fractal team.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Dasenthal.6520

Dasenthal.6520

I have to agree with bird here: specifically “rehashed content is better than no new content”.
To my knowledge there have been no fractals added since the fractal event which has been a while. So it would be fair to say we could use more now; However my assumption is that if they make more fractals out of living story it will be after the season or during a more natural break (I.e. not holidays).
posted from my phone… Meticulous enough for you Drarnor?

“A conquered people will always resist you,
Edair. But allies-allies will fight by your side”~Cobiah Mariner

Lishtenbird.2814

Marionette and Breachmaker battles, if they return, will be raid-style content.

I actually really hope they do return. I loved those fights so much, but they are unsuitable for a 5-man fractal team.

I actually agree. I remember a discussion about converting Marionette to a fractal back then, and I think most people agreed that scaling it to 5 people would kill the epicness.

I still have hopes for some form of guild raids since a “spawn guild map instance” item has been datamined some time ago.

Posted by: Romo.3709

Romo.3709

I would love those to be there, but it doesn’t matter since 80% of the time you get Cliffside Fractal either as Tier 2 or Tier 3… F that level… So sick of it…

Lishtenbird.2814

However my assumption is that if they make more fractals out of living story it will be after the season or during a more natural break (I.e. not holidays).

Since Rytlock is still in the Mists, it would make a lot of sense to put his adventures into fractals, while also adding them as a story mode temporarily (just like Thaumanova back then).