If guildwars 2 had monthly fee

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: matjazmuhic.1649

matjazmuhic.1649

Would you be still paying for it now or would you freezee the account (temporary not paying) until something new worth playing came out (like an expansion?).

Honest answers please.

I probably would do the 2nd thing.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

I’d pay $30 a month.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Whishen.7364

Whishen.7364

I’m too casual of a player – it wouldn’t be worth it for me if there was a monthly fee.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Tbh, the question is wrong for my case. If Gw2 had a fee I would have never started to play it. I don’t like subscription based games, I don’t want to be bound to a contract to play. So if Gw2 became subsription based my decision to continue playing would not depend on a lack of content because I think there is none.

Posted by: Yoji.5610

Yoji.5610

I would have never started playing and even if I did I would have stopped by the end of october, when I took a break from GW2. I never came back to a P2P MMO before, only F2P games have that low entry barrier to allow for that.

Posted by: Scarn.1703

Scarn.1703

i wouldve canceled a while ago.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I probably would pay it, but I wouldn’t be happy about it. Not because I don’t think the game is worth it, but because I know that once a game starts charging a monthly fee, it has to throw in time sinks. Lots and lots of them.

It’s the reason for lockouts on dungeons and raids in most games. Long flight paths. Crafting that takes ages because, unlike GW 2, you don’t craft faster as you craft more. Slow leveling. All the things that make games tedious to me are in pay to play games.

Free to play games don’t necessarily have the same time sinks (though some do), but many are pay to win, which I hate.

Guild Wars 2 has time sinks I can deal with, and it’s not pay to win. So yeah I wouldn’t mind paying for it. My problem is, as soon as I started paying for it, the game would likely change in ways I wouldn’t want it to.

Posted by: OscarKitteh.7198

OscarKitteh.7198

Nope. I bought GW1 specifically because of the “no monthly fee” and would never have crossed over to GW2 if it had a monthly fee.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

wouldnt even had bought the game if it had a fee and as the game stands now wouldnt be worth it for me it feels like a massive grind that gets nerfed and forbids you to grind.

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I wouldn’t have bought it.

RIP in peace Robert

Posted by: Bajeer.9735

Bajeer.9735

If I didn’t have to pay more for things like bank space, transmutation stones, etc then I would pay a monthly fee. I just expect a lot more of the convenience kind of items to be included in the monthly fee/obtainable in game.

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Im not in the financial situation for a sub game so no.Even if i wanted to i couldn’t

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Absolutely not.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Would you be still paying for it now or would you freezee the account (temporary not paying) until something new worth playing came out (like an expansion?).

Honest answers please.

I probably would do the 2nd thing.

For the most part I enjoyed my early experiences with GW2, and enjoyed playing my thief through the majority of the levels/zones on the way to 100% map completion, but…

If I’d been paying a sub fee, I’d likely have cancelled shortly after finishing Orr, and if Orr wasn’t enough to drive me away, the dungeon mission at the end of the personal storyline would have sealed the deal. Possibly the most unfun fun I’ve ever experienced in any MMO.

Then I’d have waited until GW2 went F2P and tried it again, because of the parts that were fun. But if they’d set up the F2P so that I had to pay to hide my helm, I’d have uninstalled again (looking at you, TORtanic).

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Jareth.4813

Jareth.4813

GW2 was not designed to utilise a sub fee and as such doesn’t have the “tricks” other mmo’s use to extend your playtime and lure you into handing over the cash every month.

This is like asking, what if Diablo 3 had a sub fee? Or, what if Sim City had a sub fee? Or any online B2P game for that matter. They just aren’t designed for it and so it’s a weighted question from the outset as obviously the most common answer would be “no I wouldn’t pay”.

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I never would have bought the game if they had made it a sub, and if they ever changed it I’d quit playing instantly. Yes I’d be sad, but I don’t do subscription games anymore, and never will again. That’s a dead end business model that went the way of the dinosaurs and I honestly don’t have money to blow on that. I will continue to support them by buying gems when I’m able to as long as there’s no sub fee.

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Posted by: Ruggy.7819

Ruggy.7819

This is a question that pretty much everyone cannot answer properly.. the game would be entirely different from the ground up in design if it was a sub based game.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I hate this question so much.

I don’t pay subs for anything. Period. The game could be a 10/10 in my book, but on principle, I will NEVER pay for a subscription fee.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I would never have bought the game.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

This daughter of Ascalon will not pay a sub fee for ANY game. Those games are blatant ripoffs and not worth a 2nd look.

However, I gladly throw gems ANet’s way when
1) I want to show my support and approval for what they are doing with the game and
2) When it fits in my budget

MY choice, MY budget. It’s the only way to play games now

(edited by Karizee.8076)

Posted by: rozcinana.7249

rozcinana.7249

I probably never would have even purchased the game if it had a monthly fee from the start… if they were to implement it, I would only pay a subscription if they lifted the various time gates and DR.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

No,simply because i dont lay dow 15$ a month to play a game,the only one i did was Final fantasy.Its a principle thing,i love gw2 but will i pay a monthly fee ? I seriously doubt it.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Considering the very casual audience this game targets; a subscription fee would be financial suicide.

Posted by: Emmet.2943

Emmet.2943

second option or you know i wouldn’t of purchased the game as that was one of the biggest appeals of this game

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

I don’t play subscription games., so I wouldn’t have even started playing.

That being said… I already spent more money on gems that what a subscription game costs… totally worth it. And I’ll probably spend more.

Posted by: DubzGTI.8170

DubzGTI.8170

I’m not sure I understand the curiosity behind these questions, which has been asked before hundreds if not thousands of times going all the way back to the beginning of time when Guild Wars 1 came out. That said:

The fact that Guild Wars is NOT a sub is part of the draw that made the franchise attractive. It was for me. I honestly used that pitch to get my buds to try it, so asking what if hypotheticals is actually irrelevant, because a B2P model was always the hand Anet decided to play from the start, that was their draw during a time most if not all mmo’s had a subscription barrier of entry.

So no I would not pay, because that was never the intention and I applaud them for that. I got many years out if GW1 and I hope the same holds true with GW2.

Barely Broken
Asura Mesmer – Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Wouldn’t play or have even tried it if it had a sub fee.

MODS please merge this with other thread(s) that have asked exactly the same thing!!!

Posted by: bri.2359

bri.2359

I would not have bought the game if it was P2P, and would stop playing if GW2 was changed to this model.

Lvl 80’s: Ranger; Guardian; Mesmer; Necromancer; Thief
Gandara Megaserver

Posted by: Nostredeus.3105

Nostredeus.3105

Basically I wouldn’t have bought the game, I’m not keen on being robbed you see.

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

I think Guild Wars 2 is my favorite game in the world. If it had a monthly fee though, I wouldn’t pay for it. I don’t like monthly subscriptions for games, even if they’re the best game in the world.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

If a monthly fee meant,a lot less bugs,and absolutely no
overflow servers,and no queues for WvW,and a healthy no nickel
and dime economy,then I would pay a sub.
But,for the quality and the service as it is,no I wouldn’t.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Karizee.8076

Subscription fees are no indication of the quality of a game, in fact it’s quite the opposite!

Look at those poor sods playing WoW for instance – they go weeks and months of running the same instance trying to get a piece of gear to unlock the next tier. That’s not a game mechanic, that’s a ripoff.

Posted by: Enderr.5416

Enderr.5416

No. I like the possibility of a game that is free to play when you want. I prefer the gems system and the (prolly) future expansions on payment.

Kingdom of Dragons [KoD] guild leader – Gandara server
www.kodgw2.webs.com

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

1) Would never have bought it.

Subscription-model is a thing of the past and any game asking such amounts from players are ripping the players of. B2P is fine with a steep one-time entry fee, and then putting up expansions or gem/microtransactions for purchase later.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

Subscription fees are no indication of the quality of a game, in fact it’s quite the opposite!

Look at those poor sods playing WoW for instance – they go weeks and months of running the same instance trying to get a piece of gear to unlock the next tier. That’s not a game mechanic, that’s a ripoff.

You mean like running fractals over and over again for ascended gear,or like running dungeons over and over again for lodestones and gold?
I don’t see much difference there.
There are poor sods in GW2 as well,me included,and they’ll grind the same world events,dungeons,and fractals over and over again for months,before they get their gear.
You are right to say that a sub fee can in no way assure the quality of a game,but there are a few games that I could pay,and pay a sub for.
I wouldn’t pay a sub for GW2 as it is now,both as a service ,and as a level of
polish and bug free content.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

Like many have said already, it isn’t a fair question. You can’t just slap a subscription fee onto an existing non-subbed game and expect it to make sense. Games that have subscriptions are designed around that fact, often with design choices that sloooooww the player’s progress and get them to play longer while accomplishing less. Part of GW2’s appeal is that it eschews that mentality outright.

A sub-based GW2 would not have been the GW2 we know. It would probably have still been a very good MMO, but I probably would not have gotten into it in the first place, if it were sub-based. These days, I really think a subscription is more of a long-term barrier against potential customers than it is a short-term revenue generator.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

No, I wouldn’t have. I’ve only logged on a handful of times this month. Would not be worth it to me. No fee was the reason I picked up GW1 when I did. 8 years later and I’m still enjoying the experience.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

So it looks like your trying to make a point but its a very invalid point because it is a f2p game that ppl pay a lot of money to play even though its not a monthly fee.
These are getting very tiresome if you have a complain about the game at least come out and say it and do not hid behind these pretenses.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

I’d quit if there was a fee imposed now. And if there was a monthly at start, I wouldn’t have bought it.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Karizee.8076

Smart gamers know (and the rest are quickly learning!) that combining microscopic drop rates with monthly fees = bad games.

The veil has been pulled. B2P is the only way to play games now.

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Why do people keep asking this stupid question? Of course not.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Posted by: Sinifair.1026

Sinifair.1026

While beautifully crafted and with a good first impression, I think that it were more prudent of ANet to test out their new ideas and concepts on how to design the MMO with a Buy to Play model.
- There are still a lot of issues that needs to be dealt with, and seeing how many players left after a few month, I don’t think they’d ever come back if GW2 was subscription based.

The only reason that I can overlook some of the bigger flaws that really bugs me is because the game is a B2P model (The bigger flaws are mainly present because they tried to go in a new direction. I don’t think of it as bad, but merely as something that can be improved).

Posted by: tcat.6725

tcat.6725

I am done with MMO’s that make me subcribe. In my opinion this game has now made me realize that I never have to go back to that model.

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I wouldn’t want to pay a monthly fee. I would pay a fee for updates that were worth while. This Flame and Frost garbage “so far” would not be worth paying for. Hammering a few signs and finding a few items to me is not new content. I play for pve content. So anything that has to do with guilds, pvp, or wvw is not added content for me.

I would rather them focus on one thing at a time rather than be abysmal in all areas at once. This month we will work on wvw next will be pve then the next be pvp.. I would even be up for paying for just pve content. I know it will never happen but just sayin’.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Posted by: Blaze.9256

Blaze.9256

one of the reasons i was looking forwards for GW2, was ‘no monthly fee’, and no ‘pay to win’ system.
My play style varies, and im not feeling like im wasting my money by not playing it, while im kicking a footie about (an example)
theres no ‘bound’ to it, that ‘ah geez i have paid for it, now i need to play it’ sort of thing.
Im so glad that this is only one time fee thingy

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

Honestly gw2 prove me that no subs can work for an MMO… So I don’t want to pay for accessing the game any more. I rather support the game willingly and get extra stuff for it

Goodbye monthly fees!

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I would have flipped my table then uninstalled.

I love this game at the story, but I entertain no subscriptions.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This thread is back again? What is it with this topic that it keeps coming up . . .

And no, I wouldn’t be playing it. I don’t pay monthly fees for my entertainment anymore than I must (Cable modem/television and my DVR box).

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Karizee.8076

This thread is back again? What is it with this topic that it keeps coming up . . .

And no, I wouldn’t be playing it. I don’t pay monthly fees for my entertainment anymore than I must (Cable modem/television and my DVR box).

Oh, I think we know why

Forward this on for me wouldja OP?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ytzOmjzfKM

Posted by: Elentari.9156

Elentari.9156

I would gladly pay a subscription if it meant that it would enable ArenaNet to hire more talent/manpower to put a better polish on this game. I love the combat system and the open-world feel of the game, but the game also could use quite a few quality-of-life type improvements and some bug fixes. Just one quick example: the character selection screen still doesn’t update character information properly after you log off of a character. I also wish there was a greater selection of armor skins to choose from, with a wider variety of styles. The reward system is very uneven and has a couple noticeable reward/effort ratio peaks that causes everyone to flock to those particular activities and leave the rest of the world languishing. The dynamic event scaling algorithm needs to be more sophisticated, beyond just adding more mobs or increasing their health pools. All of these things take a lot of development time and manpower to fix, and on top of this, ArenaNet is trying to keep providing new content to keep people engaged. I’m not sure how their finances look now, but this is definitely a case where I’m willing to throw money at the problem until it goes away.