If the [LGBT] guild is allowed to exist..?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AshleyLynn.6814

AshleyLynn.6814

Is it okay if I started an openly pro-heterosexual guild? Because equal rights.. Right?

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Sure why not? Of course you can though I doubt you’ll get much membership. Just to note as well, as long as you comply with the ToS and you’re guild isn’t about hating on other people. Then there’s nothing wrong with it.

Good luck on membership though.

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

I’ve seen some explicitly Christian guilds advertising in game. WWJD, for one. I have to assume they’re pro-heterosexual. Nice try, tho.

Posted by: Don Zardeone.8730

Don Zardeone.8730

LGBT is a pro-hetero guild too so yeah, have fun

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

This is less about rights and more about grouping with people that have something in common with you. Whatever draws people together – LGBT, Christian, WvW-specific, family-friendly, fans of LOTR, etc…

AshleyLynn.6814

I just want to make sure that it’s not an issue, when I give it a name that parades my sexual views.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m purely heterosexual and I certainly wouldn’t join a guild like that, but I do believe you can make it. Of course, if your guild name is offensive, the guild will be closed, and rightly so. So it depends on how you name it.

I think you’re going to name it something you know will be offensive, trying to make some point, in which case, you’ll have not made any point,. because trying to be offensive is against the ToS.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

I just want to make sure that it’s not an issue, when I give it a name that parades my sexual views.

By all means go for it. Just don’t expect much membership and probably a fair amount of people blocking you.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

I’m pretty sure the LGBT guilds take everyone, even allies, and exist because of the need for a safe space – not anything sexual.

But shine on, you crazy diamond.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

You don’t have to be LGBT to be in that guild, just accepting. As the rainbow flag suggests, LGBT is all-inclusive.

Posted by: Aro.8275

Aro.8275

Why not go the extra step and make it a dating guild?

Lonely tank tinkering Charr looking for similar; tinkering together is more fun!

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

I don’t foresee an issue with it as long as you don’t discriminate against people based on things like race, religion, sexual orientation, &c. That is, there shouldn’t really be an issue if you don’t restrict guild membership to heterosexual members only (how you would go about proving this anyways is beyond me).

Then of course you would just have to ensure that you didn’t have any sort of offensive names or remarks as part of the guild name, motto, banner, &c., or things that could be perceived to be offensive.

In general, you would just have to be accepting of all peoples, even if they do not represent the particular demographic the guild is tied to.

In any case, it would probably be beneficial to familiarize yourself with the terms of service before you go through with such a thing, just so you’re fully aware of what would be required of you.

I think some people might find it a bit odd since heterosexuals are generally not considered a minority group, though there’s nothing inherently wrong with it.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

There is an invite only pro-White guild that has been around for at least a year. For the most part they behave themselves out of fear of being banned, lol.

If guilds that promote race are allowed to exist, so should guilds that promote any sexual orientation, religion, etc. Just don’t kitten other people off

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Arnath.2319

Arnath.2319

I can tell by the language you are using that your intentions are not in the right place.

“parades my sexual views”

That shows me that you are clearly mocking the LBGT guilds. No one is “parading their sexual views”.
Also those guilds do not exclude straight people.

Creating a guild that is “pro-heterosexuality” is offensive and against the rules, it would be like creating a guild that was “pro-white”.

Posted by: Nyx.7342

Nyx.7342

There is an invite only pro-White guild that has been around for at least a year. For the most part behave themselves out of fear of being banned, lol.

If guilds that promote race are allowed to exist, so should guilds that promote any sexual orientation, religion, etc. Just don’t kitten other people off

Wait wat…..there is?!?!

smh

AshleyLynn.6814

Creating a guild that is “pro-heterosexuality” is offensive and against the rules, it would be like creating a guild that was “pro-white”.

Hypocrisy at its finest!

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

I can tell by the language you are using that your intentions are not in the right place.

“parades my sexual views”

That shows me that you are clearly mocking the LBGT guilds. No one is “parading their sexual views”.
Also those guilds do not exclude straight people.

This is one of the greatest examples of cognitive dissonance on the Guild Wars 2 forums. I am honestly impressed right now.

(edited by Larynx.2453)

Posted by: Becka Williams.4978

Becka Williams.4978

Hypocrisy at its finest!

How is it hypocrisy for one person to say something’s against the rules, and then a completely different person breaks the rules? And no one’s told you that you can’t make a pro heterosexual guild, at least no one from anet, so how is it hypocrisy?

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Was this topic supposed to be controversial or something?

Personally I’d like to see this happen just because now I’m curious if the OP could think of anything such a guild would do. Can she be more pro-heterosexual than basically any other guild in existence without resorting to being anti- something else? Tune in next time as OP tackles being completely normal in a world full of people who don’t care…

Posted by: Muzicman.9741

Muzicman.9741

If you are, indeed, parading your “sexual” views, I imagine your guild won’t have a very long shelf life.

Arnath.2319

Hypocrisy at its finest!

It’s not hypocrisy. Check your privilege.

Straight people have nothing to be proud about.

Once straight people have gone through centuries of discrimination, bullying, being murdered, and other horrible unspeakable acts, then and only then can you have your “pro-hetero” guild.

You can create a “Straight Ally” group, a group that focuses more on straight people who support all sexual identities.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

That is quite a narrow view of the big picture. A guild that is pro-______ in itself is not offensive or against the rules, it’s how those members conduct themselves towards those who don’t share the same views.

Do its members conduct themselves with pride, or with hatred?

Just because a guild is pro-something, does not mean they spread hatred –
does [LGBT] spread hatred towards heterosexuals? Hell no, they’re awesome

The same guidelines should apply to all guilds, whether you like them or not

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Aerlen.5326

As the GW2 turns…

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Larynx.2453

Larynx.2453

Hypocrisy at its finest!

How is it hypocrisy for one person to say something’s against the rules, and then a completely different person breaks the rules? And no one’s told you that you can’t make a pro heterosexual guild, at least no one from anet, so how is it hypocrisy?

What the previous poster failed to realize is that most hypocrites and bigots are disinclined towards introspection or self-analyzation. An understandable mistake really.

Once straight people have gone through centuries of discrimination, bullying, being murdered, and other horrible unspeakable acts, then and only then can you have your “pro-hetero” guild.

You can create a “Straight Ally” group, a group that focuses more on straight people who support all sexual identities.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(edited by Larynx.2453)

AshleyLynn.6814

A pro LGBT guild is not offensive, but a pro heterosexual guild is? Smells like a hypocrite to me,

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As long as you’re not breaking the TOS you can create a guild for any purpose you like.

There are many guilds for specific demographics such as people over/under an age limit, people from a particular country or speaking a particular language, I know of one guild for married couples who play together, one for Christians, one for Wiccans and one for Satanists (although I’m never sure how serious most people who call themselves Satanists are). And then of course many in-game demographics like PvP or WvW players, and for role-players there are in-game race or Order specific guilds.

So anyway, as long as you don’t call it “No gays allowed!” or otherwise focus on excluding a particular kind of people (which is different to promoting inclusion of a particular kind of people) there’s no problem.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Monimon.6710

Monimon.6710

That is quite a narrow view of the big picture. A guild that is pro-______ in itself is not offensive or against the rules, it’s how those members conduct themselves towards those who don’t share the same views.

THIS!!

Konfusio {Mes} on AG

We need more JP´s !!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Honestly, this is a game. I don’t want to know, need to know, or care to know about other players’ sexual preferences. For me, this isn’t important. I’d rather know if someone can successfully organize an effective roaming group or complete a challenging dungeon run well. You know, relevant stuff like that. But that’s just me.

AshleyLynn.6814

Oh? So once again you’re a hypocrite.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

/shrug

I’m in a guild for people 30 years and older, [GZR], so there are all sorts of guilds. You want to make a hetero only guild? Knock yourself out. In this case, I’m sure only the finest individuals will be joining you. (And we will all be glad you found each other).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Honestly, this is a game. I don’t want to know, need to know, or care to know about other players’ sexual preferences. For me, this isn’t important. I’d rather know if someone can successfully organize an effective roaming group or complete a challenging dungeon run well. You know, relevant stuff like that. But that’s just me.

I suspect guilds focused on real-life demographics are more targeted towards ‘casual’ players who see the game as primarily a social activity. The type of people who would rather spend an hour doing a dungeon with friends and laughing about how quickly they wiped at the boss than do it in 10 minutes with no deaths and no discussion.

Their main criteria for a guild is people they can get along with and have something in common with (in addition to playing GW2).

Neither is right or wrong or better or worse. In fact this is exactly why I’ve said before that I like that guilds in this game are fairly undefined and don’t have any pre-determined purpose, because it allows each guild to decide for themselves what they want to be about and what they’ll do together, and that gives players a huge variety of guilds to choose from.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Personally, I am asexual/null sexual and I think its great for everyone to be proud of who they are! If white folks want to be proud, thats great! As long as it allows tolerance of those who are different, I’m all for it.

The difference is, white people generally do not have to fight for acceptance, as it is the considered norm in most/all northern hemisphere countries. Still doesn’t stop them being proud.

I support anyone starting a hetero guild at all. Just as I would support an sXe guild. If that is their interest, all is good, just as sXe is mine.

Aerlen.5326

By all means, go ahead. It’ll be a safe place for people who you can relate to and as long as you don’t do the against ToS behaviors others have outlined, you’re fine.

I have a feeling though you want to create it as a backlash which isn’t a good reason but if it’s something you want to do, feel free.

I’m actually in a LGBT guild, not because of anything sexual but because I like having a safe space and hope to talk to other asexuals. Oh yeah and they’re 100% accepting and awesome, that helps

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

Ok, by that logic if I am descendant from a white person who was enslaved in Africa during the middle ages can I make a “Pro-White African Slave Descendant” Guild?

There is a religion that was originated in Asia and suffered a ton of persecution from the communist government, but they have very extremist views as well. Can I create a pro guild for that religion and actively voice pride in my beliefs? I mean a substantial number of those people died in the recent years because of their religious beliefs.

Can I create a guild in favor of nations that want to be independent? Can I create a pro independent state of Catalonia Guild? Should ANET then support that movement?

How many people must die by being persecuted for something to allow us to create a pro-guild and the act “pridefully” and “dismissive” of others?

Does the ToS state that you must have had X amount of deaths in your group within the last X years? Are deaths only counted based on certain regions that the person who died is located? Does the ToS state that we may only count “deaths” or can we count other types of punishment?

Or, at the end of the day, should we only count what we considered is deserving of “pride” of “right” and shun the others? If so, which culture prevails to determine who is the persecuted minority? And if it prevails, then shouldn’t it be prohibited from existing a guild only of the membes of such prevailing group?

In that respect, isn’t the request that “English only” option in LFG be considered as biggot? What language should we then use?

Why does the game not offer my language as an option? Am I being a persecuted minority?

Do I now have the right to form my own guild and be prideful on who I am? Can I then request ANET to make available the characters for my language so that I can communicate in my language with my friends without fear of persecution?

/ Tl:dr : Everyone has a right to feel pride in who they are and to form their own groups, they just don’t have the right to offend/oppress others.

Posted by: MomentofWeakness.1246

MomentofWeakness.1246

+1

Its Choo – 250,000 Kills in WvW and Counting…
WvW Commander – NA PST
Sexiest Level 80 Charr Guardian In The Game

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

A pro LGBT guild is not offensive, but a pro heterosexual guild is? Smells like a hypocrite to me,

Depends, doesn’kitten If the pro LGBT guild is quietly just existing and not doing anything and the pro-heterosexual guild exists only to be seen and advertise a specific choice/position . . .

. . . eh, still a judgement call. Careful with your guild name. And good luck.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Muzicman.9741

Muzicman.9741

You’re being intentionally childish, but I’ll bite. LGBT, that is, Our Sanctuary, is not a “pro-gay” guild. It is a pro everyone guild. The same deal with my guild, Ember Solace. We welcome anyone, with the understanding that the intention is to be a safe space for many different kinds of people. If you make, as you call it, a “pro-hetero” guild that has the same values and principles, then by all means do so.

I have my doubts that anyone applying to a “pro-hetero” guild, though, would want that sort of environment.

Posted by: Trakarg.2095

Trakarg.2095

Hypocrisy at its finest!

Oh kitten . Go back to tumblr you crazy SJW.

Coming from a gay dude who’s sick of hypocrites like you

Arnath.2319

pro-____ guilds are offensive when they are clearly trying to counter and aggravate a struggling minority. In particular issues of gender, race, and sexuality. A pro-hetero guild is a clear example of that. It is incredibly insensitive.

This thread has already been reported and will soon be locked/deleted. I am done feeding the trolls.

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

Can I make a guild about BDSM?

Tobias Trueflight.8350

. . . why not? I’ve heard of guilds with weirder tastes. No, I won’t go into it.

But I hear it told in whispers there’s a guild devoted to nothing but bearbows. Bearbows who hit Point Blank Shot immediately on refresh regardless of timing.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Azel.4786

Azel.4786

Hahahaha I laughed way too hard at this.

I just pictured you entering a room with huge argument going, chairs being thrown around and going: “Hi, is this Calculus I?”

And on topic: OP, the moral of the story is do what you think is right but be responsible and respectful.

(edited by Azel.4786)

AshleyLynn.6814

pro-____ guilds are offensive when they are clearly trying to counter and aggravate a struggling minority. In particular issues of gender, race, and sexuality. A pro-hetero guild is a clear example of that. It is incredibly insensitive.

This thread has already been reported and will soon be locked/deleted. I am done feeding the trolls.

One group can openly be proud, but I cant? I’m feeling really oppressed an offended. Is my oppression not as important?

AshleyLynn.6814

As long as you don’t offend the missionary guild.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

As long as you don’t offend the missionary guild.

Wait, is that a guild of missionaries or a guild about missionaries, or is it a mission established by Dwayna . . .

Too many questions!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

OP,

As long as you are not hateful in your interactions with other players you should not have anything to worry about from Anet. Other players who believe that you should not have the same rights as others based on your orientation are merely engaging in hypocrisy and should be ignored.

If this is an attempt to instigate confrontation that is something else entirely. Remember that LGBT’s reason for existence, at least in part, seems likely to be to offer a sanctum for people of similar views/experiences suffering harassment and hatred. They do not exist, as far as I know, to instigate confrontation.

Aerlen.5326

There already is a BDSM guild. Imagine seeing that tag next to you one day out of the blue…

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

LGBT is a community that supports the equal rights of people who do not fall in to the heterosexual spectrum, but that doesn’t mean LGBT supporters are against heterosexuality at all.

I’m Heterosexual, but a big advocate for LGBT rights (And equal rights as a whole, which we have a long way to go on).

If you wanted to create a guild openly advocating heterosexual relationship rights (Of which there are a myriad anyway) then go for it, that’s your business. I just don’t see what purpose it would serve other than as a thinly veiled childish jab at the LGBT movement.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Is this thread seriously happening? o.o

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

Let people make guilds as they want. If you want to make a guild just for friends you’re also excluding people. If people openly harras other people that is covered under the rules, but don’t get all prissy because there are some guilds who don’t want to take you in.

Also, Arnath, you’re a joke and the only person in this whole thread that i’ve seen so far to hold bigoted world views.