If you won't give us mounts...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Revler.2359

Revler.2359

You need to give us out-of-combat travel skills, for some very simple reasons.

1) Everyone equips a travel skill when leveling up, just to move faster while clearing areas. I am doing with my ranger now, I did with my elementalist, and so on. I wasted a skill slot on something passive, or even equipped a weapon I didn’t want just to move around faster. Essentially, you made the game less fun for me for making me have one less combat skill to use while leveling up because I wanted to get to point A to B faster, and switching skills all the time is annoying.

2) To balance/normalize travel speed between classes. It´s unfair a warrior can easily stack 1 minute of speed boost while other classes can’t.

3) Speed boost is a boost for combat. Outside of combat it is irrelevant, giving us an out-of-combat travel skill doesn’t conflict with anything.

If you don’t want to add actually cosmetic mounts, there is something already in the game you can use as the basis for travel speed skills: the Zephyr Sanctum people. They developed many skills solely about movement, and we could acquire a travel skill form them – to be used by a button or a specific slot – to move around the maps with haste without relying (or ruining) on our combat skills.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

1) Everyone equips a travel skill when leveling up, just to move faster while clearing areas. I am doing with my ranger now, I did with my elementalist, and so on. I wasted a skill slot on something passive, or even equipped a weapon I didn’t want just to move around faster. Essentially, you made the game less fun for me for making me have one less combat skill to use while leveling up because I wanted to get to point A to B faster, and switching skills all the time is annoying.

2) To balance/normalize travel speed between classes. It´s unfair a warrior can easily stack 1 minute of speed boost while other classes can’t.

3) Speed boost is a boost for combat. Outside of combat it is irrelevant, giving us an out-of-combat travel skill doesn’t conflict with anything.

If you don’t want to add actually cosmetic mounts, there is something already in the game you can use as the basis for travel speed skills: the Zephyr Sanctum people. They developed many skills solely about movement, and we could acquire a travel skill form them – to be used by a button or a specific slot – to move around the maps with haste without relying (or ruining) on our combat skills.

1) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint

2) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Speed_Booster

3) look back at 1&2.

Thank me later.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: Revler.2359

Revler.2359

Paying real money or trading gems (which is expensive) for a temporary booster that wears out all the time is very far from having a travel skill intended to be fun and helpful.

Plus: “Double-click to gain a buff that increases your speed by 15% for one hour.”

Why would I use that if stacking speed through skills is 33%?

Also, you still have to run to waypoints if you are playing with a new character, where the whole point of my post to have a skill to travel that isn’t a combat skill is about.

Not only I shouldn’t thank you, you should apologize for making me waste time having to reply to you

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Yes, its totally unfair that the classes aren’t all alike and can’t do everything equally. It’s just horrible. Horrible.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

1) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoint

2) http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Speed_Booster

3) look back at 1&2.

Thank me later.

1. Waypoint prices add up quickly, and are worthless when exploring new areas.
2. Real world money for a painfully small, temporary boost? No thanks.

Posted by: Lazuli.2098

Lazuli.2098

Yes, its totally unfair that the classes aren’t all alike and can’t do everything equally. It’s just horrible. Horrible.

Realistically warriors and guardians should run the slowest since they are wearing heavy armor. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the fastest.

Sartharina.3542

Realistically warriors and guardians should run the slowest since they are wearing heavy armor. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the fastest.

Realistically, Warriors and Guardians should run the fastest because they’re honed for athleticism and endurance and heavy armor actually isn’t very encumbering. The cloth-wearing scholar classes should move the slowest because they don’t have the conditioning and athleticism – Unless his name is Rincewind.

… actually, Rangers should move fastest, thanks to lighter armor, better trailblazing, and equal emphasis on endurance and athleticism to warriors.

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Seriously you get around in this game quickly enough. Instant gratification generation

AtlasSi.9130

Dawwww. I’m sorry afew silver is to much to handle with how much gold we get daily from dungeons/pvp/wvw. :/
Okay. Don’t buy it then no one is making you. Fact is..it is still there for people to buy.

Sartharina.3542

Dawwww. I’m sorry afew silver is to much to handle with how much gold we get daily from dungeons/pvp/wvw. :/
Okay. Don’t buy it then no one is making you. Fact is..it is still there for people to buy.

1. If you’re exploring and traveling the world, you’re not running dungeons/PvP/WvW. My daily income, not counting any expenses, is about 1 or 2 Gold every day, by selling junk for handfuls of copper (Sometimes a silver piece or two for rarer items) on the BLT.
2. It’s real money for a temporary boost that doesn’t even come close to Warrior’s Spirit or Swiftness. It’s all but worthless.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

they don’t have speed boosting mounts because it would render the swiftness boon (and all related skills/traits/runes/etc) irrelevant…..which is also why they wouldn’t have these “out of combat” speed skills you’re suggesting.

using a utility skill/rune/trait slot for speed boost is a choice/sacrifice you have to make to move quickly. it’s a part of the game that should not change.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

AtlasSi.9130

1. If you’re exploring and traveling the world, you’re not running dungeons/PvP/WvW. My daily income, not counting any expenses, is about 1 or 2 Gold every day, by selling junk for handfuls of copper (Sometimes a silver piece or two for rarer items) on the BLT.
2. It’s real money for a temporary boost that doesn’t even come close to Warrior’s Spirit or Swiftness. It’s all but worthless.

1) My 11 chars porting don’t cost much. Only a gold IF that. Even without dungeons/spvp/wvw I still make 3 or 4 gold daily…
2)Fact is they are in the TP for others to buy. A perm item will cut potential income on temp items. Which won’t happen. Look at things from a business side not a player side. Also, gems can be bought with gold not only rl money. It’s not smart but at least it’s still free in a way.

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Why does everyone have to run through the game?

If we would get a speedboost for out of combat it would end the same way since after a while it would feel like you must have this speedboost to normalize the speed. Like when I play my warrior who have 25% speedboost trait I don’t feel I am running realy that faster. Sure I notice I run past others. But when I go play my Mesmer who don’t have a sprint skill with after I have played my warrior I feel like my mesmer is slow. But this is just a feeling and the distance you have to travel in GW2 to get from point A – B is so short anyway so I wouldn’t even bother. It is in PvP and WvW I wish I could have speedBoost all the time but if I had it would be unbalanced and ruin the purpose of equiping speed skills and traits for classes who can do this.

For PvE I have never fealt the need for speed, sure I have had times when I had to run through ha whole map to get to my guilds bounty becouse I hadn’t explored the map but it took me just a few minutes and i think we can run through every map unexplored under an hour (Run through not explore it).

Take a chillpill and enjoy the enviroment and explore the world, Anet have made a beatuiful world for us and well in my opinion it is awesome to explore it with all my 8 characters almost everytime I find something new.

Edit: Oh by the way, we have a speedboost for out of combat already and we have had players complaining that we get slow for getting in to combat.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: sternenstaub.8763

sternenstaub.8763

“If you won’t give us mounts…”

Then people like me support that!
And there are also people who are completely satisfied with the current travel speed.

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

Mounts?
Another money sink which will please kids for next 5 mins.

I’ll rather vote for new achievements and Jumping Puzzle stuff.

Another thing – you don’t need anything else beyond swiftness.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Even if ‘mounts’ (maybe as simple as the broomstick) offered a slightly quicker way to move, maybe 25%, it would free up a sigil and/or trait. It would not be OP as you could not attack from the ‘mount’, and any attack would both knock you off it, and then you would have to equip weapons to fight.

If these were made and put in the gemstore, they would make a lot of cash for novelty factor alone. Heck, I’d probably buy some with my spare gems even if they offered NO advantage.

Endgame is customisation – give us more customisation options!

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

What exactly is the problem. In wow you had mounts. Here you have waypoints. What exactly do you need mounts for. To reduce a traveltime from 1 minute to 50 seconds?

Posted by: Ayakaru.6583

Ayakaru.6583

Paying real money or trading gems (which is expensive) for a temporary booster that wears out all the time is very far from having a travel skill intended to be fun and helpful.

Plus: “Double-click to gain a buff that increases your speed by 15% for one hour.”

Also, you still have to run to waypoints if you are playing with a new character, where the whole point of my post to have a skill to travel that isn’t a combat skill is about.

Not only I shouldn’t thank you, you should apologize for making me waste time having to reply to you

Eeuhm. I have never spend a coin on stuff like that. Yet i have a full stack of swiftness boosters in my bank. If you say you cant attain them without playing i am rather curious what is you DO inside the game to avoid them

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Learned a neat little not so secret trick to for one way WP cost:

1. WP from the city closest to your destination.
2. Do what ever you intend to do.
3. When done, go to PVP or WVW lobby.
4. Take the Lion’s ArchVigil’s Keep portal.

It’s one extra click that can save some folks a lot over time.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

New out of combat mobility would not be a boon it would be a condition cwhatididthur

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Eeuhm. I have never spend a coin on stuff like that. Yet i have a full stack of swiftness boosters in my bank. If you say you cant attain them without playing i am rather curious what is you DO inside the game to avoid them

Maby he/she runs through the content?

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

Posted by: Tao.5096

Tao.5096

inb4 someone will say that Black Lion Chest Keys can be acquired only via Gem Store.

Did I ever tell you, the definition, of Insanity?

Posted by: southbeatz.2780

southbeatz.2780

I did like having mounts in Tera but I would not like for Anet to waste time adding mounts in to an already completed and released game. If Anet added mounts then they would likely need to reconsider many aspects of the game. Can a mount do a jumping puzzle which could make it far too easy for some and far too difficult for others. If Anet added mounts would the speed buffs serve a purpose aside from those that want to make jumping puzzles easier?

I would rather Anet add things that actually add to the game and not just for more convenient ways to move faster. The game is around 2 years old now so surely everyone should be used to not having a mount by now.

Posted by: BlakThornArrow.2389

BlakThornArrow.2389

Maybe they should give us a bar which lets us sprint for a set amount of time

White Lions Claw , dungeon, Living Story ,
Personal Story, WvsW , Guild Missions, Living Story and so much more.
(We have Teamspeak and a forum ) join us!

Posted by: Argon.1563

Argon.1563

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I honestly don’t see a problem. Exploring with some classes may take longer than with others, but you have so many ways to travel fast that there’s no need for mounts. They would look nice, yes, but they aren’t neccessary.

Elementalist
- Signet increasing movement speed by 25%.
- Trait increasing movement speed by 0-25% depending on the number of daggers wielded.
- Trait increasing your movement speed by being attuned to air. (I think it still exists)
- Skills such as " Ride the Lightning" that allow you to dash.
Warrior
- Trait increasing your movement speed by 25% while wielding a melee weapon.
- Warhorn shout increasing your movement speed by 33%.
Mesmer
- Teleportation skill.
- Focus skill increasing your movement speed by 25%.
Guardian
- Leap using greatsword.
- Staff skill increasing movement speed by 33%.
Necromancer
- Trait increasing your movement speed by 25% while in Death Shroud.
- Warhorn skill increasing your movement speed by 33%.
- Signet increasing your movement speed by 25%.
- “Spectral Walk”.
Ranger
- Trait increasing your movement speed by 25%.
- Warhorn skill increasing your movement speed by 33%.
- Leap using greatsword.
- Trait granting swiftness whenever [something] happens. (I don’t remember)
Thief
- A bunch of dash skills.
- Signet increasing your movement speed by 25%.
- Teleportation using shortbow.
Engineer
- Elixirs
- “Rocket Jump”
- Trait increasing your movement speed by 25%.

+ Superior Rune of the Traveler (Bonus 25% movement speed)
+ Various speed boosts

I’m sorry but I don’t see any need for adding mounts(unless for asthetics). As you can see it’s not that hard to figure out alternatives. I’m pretty sure I didn’t mention some of the speed boosts out there.

Posted by: Giseki.1207

Giseki.1207

I personally think we move too quickly. I don’t like the fact that we can run for an infinite amount of time without losing stamina…but I guess we look at things differently. Maybe it’s because we are different people?

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

People want instant gratification and are basically lazy. Hence, I want mounts, instant speed boosts, etc.

The game is fine the way it is.

Sartharina.3542

People want mounts simply to make overland travel faster.

Frankly, I’d prefer tanks, so guilds and parties can travel in style. Tanks definitely need to be added to WvW, with Charr architecture and bases to churn them out and help with tearing down fortresses. Looking at WvW maps, I’m asking “What century is this?! Trebuchets, catapults, and castles? Get your tails in gear, Iron Legion!”

Maybe Charrpers (Charr choppers/motorcycles). With forward-mounted guns. And maybe a chain to whack people in melee. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Posted by: Vesuvius.9874

Vesuvius.9874

If you are running through this game, you’re probably not playing it right. The fact that you feel you need to run through content sounds like GW2 is a chore for you. If that’s the case, there are plenty of real world chores you should take a look at. A warning though, you probably won’t be able to use any buffs of swiftness to run through them.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

If you are running through this game, you’re probably not playing it right. The fact that you feel you need to run through content sounds like GW2 is a chore for you. If that’s the case, there are plenty of real world chores you should take a look at. A warning though, you probably won’t be able to use any buffs of swiftness to run through them.

95%, if not 100%, of the players are running, it’s the default speed characters move…..

Posted by: Ark Bladesteele.2943

Ark Bladesteele.2943

Frankly, I’d prefer tanks, so guilds and parties can travel in style. Tanks definitely need to be added to WvW, with Charr architecture and bases to churn them out and help with tearing down fortresses. Looking at WvW maps, I’m asking “What century is this?! Trebuchets, catapults, and castles? Get your tails in gear, Iron Legion!”

Maybe Charrpers (Charr choppers/motorcycles). With forward-mounted guns. And maybe a chain to whack people in melee. ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

This is an excellent idea, and instead of tanks, why not armored personnel carriers! The Dredge have them, as shown in Sorrow’s Embrace and the Dredge Fractal clown car (I mean seriously, how do they fit 40 guys in there?). Another vote for armored carriers.

Of course, then we have to worry about who’s driving. I’m reminded of…

NSP’s resident crazy-eyed sylvari

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Mounts?

Also 3 months (or more) of dev time that could have been better spent on making new permanent content such as new areas for us to visit. No thanks, I’ll just use waypoints.

Posted by: Echou.1923

Echou.1923

I want craftable helicopters.

Work work, ArenaNet.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

What exactly is the problem. In wow you had mounts. Here you have waypoints. What exactly do you need mounts for. To reduce a traveltime from 1 minute to 50 seconds?

Its my belief that the people that keep recreating all these ‘GIVE ME MOUNTS NOW’ threads are exactly that, players from other games like WoW that had mounts. They had them elsewhere and now they want them to exist in GW2.

GW2 apparently isn’t supposed to be its own game, but another cookie cutter copy of another game’s template. Example: “Its just not the same without mounts.”

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

(edited by Azhure.1857)

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Mounts?

Also 3 months (or more) of dev time that could have been better spent on making new permanent content such as new areas for us to visit. No thanks, I’ll just use waypoints.

Now, now, you know that three months would be used to add more gem store content and 30 minutes of endlessly repeatable, zergable, psuedocontent every two weeks as part of the “Living Story”.

Posted by: rainbowstylin.1358

rainbowstylin.1358

FYI. the game was made without mounts in mind, and it’s sooooooooooooooooooo much better for it. Mounts ruin MMO’s.

sorudo.9054

FYI. the game was made without mounts in mind, and it’s sooooooooooooooooooo much better for it. Mounts ruin MMO’s.

mounts add immersion, it’s the MMO’s that are simply not made to be immerse enough to be worth having a mount.
GW2 is completely immersion free so even if we had mounts, the only thing it does is add immersion in a game that is dead empty.

Posted by: Rei Mizser.7651

Rei Mizser.7651

I prefer no mounts, WPs are more than enough

Dusty Moon.4382

mounts add immersion, it’s the MMO’s that are simply not made to be immerse enough to be worth having a mount.
GW2 is completely immersion free so even if we had mounts, the only thing it does is add immersion in a game that is dead empty.

It is not – and I find mounts DETRACT from immersion. In Rift, I found it annoying when I was doing a quest that players ran right by me to drag mobs to me so that I would die and they could get to the boss I was trying to fight. THAT is detraction!!!

Also, the game is not dead empty – where have you been playing on the Mars servers? Your last statement totally invalidates your argument about mounts. If the game is so dead empty, why are there other threads that say this game has TOO many players at events? It can’t be both….

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

I want to buy my own charrcopter. Or atleast a bicycle.

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

What do you mean they didn’t add mounts? The asura have mounts. Heck, they’re such generous folks that they’ll sell you one in WvW for a nominal fee.

They come in three models.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Siege_Golem

Are you awesome enough to have an asuran friend in the game? You have it made! You’ll be cruising the lands of Tyria in style in a customized golem mount just for you.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Summon_Power_Suit

Be sure to praise your asuran friends for bringing you the mounts you so craved in your life.

Beg their forgiveness for your gross oversight, and they might well forgive that you didn’t immediately recognize their brilliant machines.

I mean, only so much can be expected from a non-asura.

Posted by: rainbowstylin.1358

rainbowstylin.1358

Mounts do the exact opposite of immersion in an MMO. All they do is give players a speed boost so they can farm mats or get to their daily objective faster. This is all 99% of players use them for.

sorudo.9054

It is not – and I find mounts DETRACT from immersion. In Rift, I found it annoying when I was doing a quest that players ran right by me to drag mobs to me so that I would die and they could get to the boss I was trying to fight. THAT is detraction!!!

Also, the game is not dead empty – where have you been playing on the Mars servers? Your last statement totally invalidates your argument about mounts. If the game is so dead empty, why are there other threads that say this game has TOO many players at events? It can’t be both….

tell me, what is immersive in this game, just tell me one single thing about this whole game that even has 1% of immersion.

Dusty Moon.4382

tell me, what is immersive in this game, just tell me one single thing about this whole game that even has 1% of immersion.

I like the PS – that IS MORE THAN 1% and it tells the story of your character. Could the PS have been done better – SURE IT COULD HAVE but I won’t arm chair quarterback.

Also, follow around the RP’ers in game, they will show you how immersive the game can be…

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Yeah .. its always such a big immersion if 20+ persons on there overly huge mounts stand around the bank or othere NPCs so that you can’t even use them anymore. I looooove it so much.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Sartharina.3542

I can list several:
1. NPCs will address the player, and ask them for help when something urgent is happening. NPCs talk with each other, and frequently acknowledge when the player passes by. Merchants hawk wares.
2. Everyone is on the same page in an as everyone else, and the world revolves around interaction and events. When centaurs are attacking, centaurs are attacking. When you drive them back, you drive them back and take over the area. There are a few renown hearts that break from this, but events generally don’t
3. Shifts in the status quo are announced by cyclic events. Unfortunately, respawning kinda breaks with this on the smaller scale.
4. You can talk with and engage in conversation with a lot of people.
5. Personal story works well as a single-player campaign, up until you find yourself guarding a gutted ruin as though it’s a thriving metropolis and hope for the world.

… there are more, but I’m bad at phrasing them. As it is, the dynamic events make GW2 the most rewarding and immersive MMO I’ve ever played in.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Posted by: Skan.5301

Skan.5301

Yeah .. its always such a big immersion if 20+ persons on there overly huge mounts stand around the bank or othere NPCs so that you can’t even use them anymore. I looooove it so much.

Just like those 40+ people running around with green Quaggans/Pink Quaggans/Charr on their backs. Keep trying.

“Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.”
– Euripides

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

God such a good point. The only advanced thing in wvw are the golems. You go to the chart city and they have massive turrets, motorcycle tanks, etc. But allllll that goes to the pact and traehearne.

And the wvw people get the leftovers of low tech.

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Hey buddy, that’s too kittening bad. Equality doesn’t exist in real life or nature.