Ignoring Ascended Tier

Ignoring Ascended Tier

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Ignoring Ascended gear here as well. Got way more interesting stuff I want to do. Besides getting ascended gear would be a – for me. so far at least all pve with the exception of southern cove is way too easy as it is. Ascended gear would make my gaming experience worst not better!

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Snype Cyclos.7391

Snype Cyclos.7391

I just want to remind you that you’re angry at a few lines of code.

If you don’t like it, don’t get it. If you do like it, work for it. You have to remember that there are people in the game that do enjoy the challenge of the Fractals, and do deserve better gear for their progress. The game wasn’t just made for you. If you play a part of any game for a long time you expect a reward, and the ascended gear is that.

MMOs are a living game in the sense that the developers have to keep changing them in order to keep up with the player base, out of expectation of said players. When you buy an MMO, you sign up for a long haul. Single players games are fine with one arc because the player goes in knowing that once they’re done, they’re done. Sure, some companies now come out with DLC for their games, which is optional and not everybody enjoys, but that’s ok because they don’t HAVE to play it. You paid one time for the game that was released. Were there a subscription fee and you were forced to pay for content you’ll never use is one thing. Getting angry on the forums about a completely optional part of the game that you’re paying nothing for is a little silly.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: sbr.8170

sbr.8170

If you don’t like it, don’t get it. If you do like it, work for it. You have to remember that there are people in the game that do enjoy the challenge of the Fractals, and do deserve better gear for their progress. The game wasn’t just made for you. If you play a part of any game for a long time you expect a reward, and the ascended gear is that….

The game was allegedly made for people who have no interest in the gear treadmill, so yeah it kinda was.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

The beauty of it is you don’t need it to do 95% of PvE content. You can still run Fractals without the ascended gear, and by the time you reach level 10, you’ll have experienced what Fractals has to offer.

It might be an issue for WvW, but it’s pretty hard to tell if someone has ascended gear from inside a zerg anyway.

I know this game was for people who didn’t want the treadmill, but at this point in time this game now appeals to both sides of the argument. I don’t see anything wrong with a game that’s truly for everyone.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I know this game was for people who didn’t want the treadmill, but at this point in time this game now appeals to both sides of the argument. I don’t see anything wrong with a game that’s truly for everyone.

Considering that the two playing styles are antagonistic to each other (or rather, that treadmill gamestyle is actively antagonistic to casual one), it’s simply not possible.
The game must be either designed for exotic armor, or for ascended one – that means not only all future content, but also such things as drops (remember, Ascended full set will have significantly better MF value – if content will be designed with it in mind, then everyone else will be hit by drop reduction). Will the future content include infuse-based mechanics (similar to agony) or not. Will the drop distribution between old and new content (seeing as the new content is gear-gated) will follow current path of “give new content good drops, nerf everything else” etc etc.

The existence/non existence of gear treadmill influences whole game design and affecte every part of the game. Even if the difference in stats may seem to be relatively small at the beginning.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

I just don’t understand why everyone is tweaking about this, if you don’t wanna spend the time and money to get it right now, go do something else. The parts of the game that require ascended gear is a miniscule portion of the game. If you can’t be patient enough to slowly gear up for that or find something else in the other 95% of the game to do, then you might wanna look for other ways to entertain yourself. I think people have forgotten just how much of a nightmare other mmo’s are when it comes to endgame grind. This is nothing. And this doesn’t even affect total gameplay like most other mmo “endgames”

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I’ll also be ignoring Ascended gear until the full set is released, at which point I’ll see whether the stats they offer adversely affect my WvW play. If they do, I’ll be moving on to another game, I suppose.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Lucky.4263

Lucky.4263

ill also be avioding it for now (which my be a mistake later down the road).. i dnt personally mind the acended gear but what i do mind is the fractals lvling design, those of us who dnt wannajump on the tredmill or want to go at it casually are seriously hindered buy this if the acended gear becomes a must have for future content…also like to add they added new skins in the 20+ lvls of the fractals another reason to push ppl towards the tredmill… bottleknecking the community at its finest.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Lucky.4263

Lucky.4263

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: NetherDiver.6079

NetherDiver.6079

Considering that the two playing styles are antagonistic to each other (or rather, that treadmill gamestyle is actively antagonistic to casual one), it’s simply not possible.
The game must be either designed for exotic armor, or for ascended one – that means not only all future content, but also such things as drops (remember, Ascended full set will have significantly better MF value – if content will be designed with it in mind, then everyone else will be hit by drop reduction). Will the future content include infuse-based mechanics (similar to agony) or not. Will the drop distribution between old and new content (seeing as the new content is gear-gated) will follow current path of “give new content good drops, nerf everything else” etc etc.

The existence/non existence of gear treadmill influences whole game design and affecte every part of the game. Even if the difference in stats may seem to be relatively small at the beginning.

I’m not worrying about future content until the future.

As of now, the hardcore can run fractals past 10 and get rewarded, and the casuals can still play the game as they’ve always played it, with a new zone and the first 10 levels of the new dungeon. Both coexist.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: plasmacutter.2709

plasmacutter.2709

At the moment, the Ascended Tier is really pissing me off.

So I’m ignoring it.

I have no aspirations to attain it, no will to farm for it.

I’m just going to play the game like I was a week ago.

And if (or when) people start demanding I wear ascended gear, I just won’t play with them. And if everything I enjoy doing requires ascended gear, I’ll just stop playing all together.

MAYBE if (or when) it becomes easier to obtain AND ANet admits to their mistake and declares this is the final additional tier, I’ll be alright.

Until then…nope, not worrying about it. Right now, it’s the only thing that pisses me off.

Where is your server, I will play with you!

If they “fractalize” the existing dungeons, i’ll stop running them, because fractal gating is killing this game AND fractals (“LFG FotM lvl 2” for 5 hours until logoff)

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Hobocop.1508

Hobocop.1508

Yeah, you don’t really need it at all to experience all of the content. The only reason you’d actually need it is to go to high difficulties in fractals for no apparent reason other than to say that you can, or if one of those fractal weapon skins floats your boat.

I’m going to eventually get an ascended backpiece because I happen to enjoy doing fractals, and the tokens afterwards will help me with obsidian shards on the path to my legendary.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

I’m only going to get the quiver. I almost have enough gold to purchase the mats. Honestly, I’m only getting this quiver because of the look, not because it’s ascended. ANet could’ve made it exotic and I still would’ve went for it.

I’m going to ignore the rest though. I’m definitely not going to grind FotM and hope for the rings to drop.

Hopefully ANet either scraps the idea of ascended gear or adds other ways of getting it. Otherwise I’m going to continue running in my exotics.

what would suck is if they put a quiver or other back items on the cash shop. I am honestly shocked there are no current back skins on the cash shop, it’s the perfect time to take advantage of the fact that there are so few in game.

They need to scrap the idea of town clothes and turn them into costumes that you can display in PvE, like you could in GW1. Then make a killing selling cool costumes in the cash shop. I know for a fact that I’d buy them as I purchased many costumes in GW1.

Totally disagree. They need more opportunities for players to make use of town clothes, they don’t need to scrap them.

The concept of town clothes is pretty awesome in an MMORPG. The lack of town clothes is disheartening, as is the lack of places to viably wear them. Why isn’t there minigames in Divinity’s Reach that require town clothes, for example? Why not have a minigame or have jumping puzzles or even a dungeon that focuses on skill over combat?

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Lutharr.1035

Lutharr.1035

I was gonna aim for em til I saw the quite ridiculous mat requirements. Seriously for a game thats supposed to be casual friendly the acended gear is a joke. I dont mind gear treadmills but when they basically make it so you HAVE to have resist gear then make it a nightmare to sort, thats when the system falls on its backside.

Id like a nice clean system to. Not one that requires hours of research on what to mess about with in the mystic forge. Overly complicated systems for the sake of being complicated is kinda pointless.

Go back to WoW. Most overused brainless arguement 2012-2013

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Clorox Sour.5142

Clorox Sour.5142

I am just going to fully ignore it. I just finished the rare → exotic transfer and it wasn’t that different. I just feel more complete. But yeah, like most things in this game i ignore(everything except friends, wvw, and standing in lions arch), i’m going to ignore it.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: ShiningSquirrel.3751

ShiningSquirrel.3751

At the moment, the Ascended Tier is really pissing me off.

So I’m ignoring it.

I have no aspirations to attain it, no will to farm for it.

I’m just going to play the game like I was a week ago.

And if (or when) people start demanding I wear ascended gear, I just won’t play with them. And if everything I enjoy doing requires ascended gear, I’ll just stop playing all together.

MAYBE if (or when) it becomes easier to obtain AND ANet admits to their mistake and declares this is the final additional tier, I’ll be alright.

Until then…nope, not worrying about it. Right now, it’s the only thing that pisses me off.

Completly agree. My main is pretty much at a dead stop and I doubt I will play him any longer, nothing more to do, no more “realistic” goals to accomplish. I have 3 other alts, and may get my second to level 80 as he is already 56, but the other 2 will probobly never see the light of day again.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

I think we all need to pile onto one server and make a guild(s). The game will be much more pleasant if we stick together and have like minded people to adventure with.

I acknowledge that forgoing the gear grind might also mean forgoing expansions, but that’s a tradeoff that I’m willing to make.

<—- waves violently I want that guest-system so badly

As far as I know, free server transfers are still on option. Seriously, as a community, let’s designate one server for this.

Well if you don’t mind seeing role play, Tarnished Coast(US) might be good, cause in general the people are better behaved. I don’t remember the EU unofficial RP server off the top of my head, that might be good too, but I don’t know for sure. I’ve seen people complain about griefing with certain things, that just doesn’t happen here to the same extent. I don’t do dungeons (yet), so I wouldn’t know how groups are in those places.

I don’t know if people would be willing to move though. I have an attachment to my current guild and couldn’t part with it even though it has like 3 active people. I wish the guest system was available.

Gamer Gal

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Raincrow.1840

Raincrow.1840

Getting angry on the forums about a completely optional part of the game that you’re paying nothing for is a little silly.

To me it’s not silly at all. In fact, adding what is bascailly another level to the game, and then expecting people who dislike it to ignore it is silly to me.

What if, instead of another tier of gear they added a couple of new levels? So instead of stopping at level 80 you could advance to level 82…. but the only way to get to level 82 was some special fractal only XP… would that be ok with people? Would we be expected to ignore that? Because to me it feels like the exact same thing when they add another tier of gear.

Honestly it defeats the entire point of an RPG to simply ignore the top tiers. Why bother advancing from level 1 to 80, or improving gear at all if you don’t care about progressing to the top?

Crystal Desert; The Viking Server
When are people going to figure out there’s a war going on?

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: cargan.5689

cargan.5689

Ill stick with GW2 vanilla, my game time is to fractured with interruptions to run many dungeons, exotics are fine for me and it means im not going to one of the unhappy folks who run the flavor of the month time and time again for no drops.

Ulfar SOR

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

I’m doing this as well. I’ve been running fractals with my guild, but I’m not going to go out of my way to obtain these ridiculous grind fest items. If I get one, whatever. Probably not going to use it anyway since I am going for a very specific set of stats.

My focus is WvW. Not PVE grind fests.

Stuff goes here.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: MrSilver.5269

MrSilver.5269

Add one more to the list. I’ll keep playing wvw exclusively, but the time in game will be less and less.

But I’m trying, Ringo. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Chrisco.5732

Chrisco.5732

I have just reached tier 10 in the FoTM and to be completely honest its been amazing … until now. For those that don’t know tier 10 is the first time you get to play with agony. Therefore your choice becomes …

a) Grind away the first 10 tiers till you get enough relics to make the infused version.
b) Grind away till you get enough money to buy the mats to forge the infused items.

The way i see it there has been great content added to the game that is then blocked off to the players and i think it’s ridiculous. I thought the point of the game was to have fun, not to grind gear so that we can then have fun. Why we needed a new tier of gear is so far beyond my understanding i cant even figure out how the idea came up and was followed through on.

My suggestion for everyone is to play till tier 10, its great fun and you don’t need the silly infusion. The dungeon on it’s own is amazing.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Hobocop.1508

You don’t need infusions in the 10-19 bracket. Agony rarely even downs you outright in that bracket unless you make a serious error.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I dislike crafting so I’m going to get Ascended only by drops or badges or tokens.
Seriously, I hear you need like 50 globs 250 powerful blood etc, don’t wanna spend that money.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: deborah.2068

deborah.2068

If you don’t like it, don’t get it. If you do like it, work for it. You have to remember that there are people in the game that do enjoy the challenge of the Fractals, and do deserve better gear for their progress. The game wasn’t just made for you. If you play a part of any game for a long time you expect a reward, and the ascended gear is that.

MMOs are a living game in the sense that the developers have to keep changing them in order to keep up with the player base, out of expectation of said players. When you buy an MMO, you sign up for a long haul. Single players games are fine with one arc because the player goes in knowing that once they’re done, they’re done. Sure, some companies now come out with DLC for their games, which is optional and not everybody enjoys, but that’s ok because they don’t HAVE to play it. You paid one time for the game that was released. Were there a subscription fee and you were forced to pay for content you’ll never use is one thing. Getting angry on the forums about a completely optional part of the game that you’re paying nothing for is a little silly.

Because you farm a dungeon you deserve better then everyone in the game No I dont think so that is your choice to farm it I would rather farm out in the world and do events with everyone as a whole and I think we all deserve I sure hope you keep the attitude about the free game when or if they put this gear or gear equlvent to it outside the dungeon on a karma vendor to account for making gear available to all play styles after all you will still have bragging rights that you had it first

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Hobocop.1508

They’ve already stated that they’re going to be implementing more ways to get ascended gear in the future, and I’m fine with that. I’ve always liked how easy it was to get exotic gear, and I really don’t care if the same applies to ascended stuff.

At the moment, ascended gear means virtually nothing unless you want access to fractal weapons that only drop in the higher difficulties. Not that it matters, since they’re essentially just unique skins.

You also don’t need any T6 mats whatsoever unless you REALLY want to have a virtually useless +5 to a single stat along with the agony resistance in your infusion slot, which they’re probably going to make more readily available elsewhere in the future.

Edit: Only issue is that you still need ectoplasm, which is kind of a problem as is immediately obvious by how the price on the TP has skyrocketed in the past week.

(edited by Hobocop.1508)

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

Yep. I want nothing to do with that grind. Unfortunately, since it affects WvW which I did enjoy very much, I’m also forced to ignore any future desire to pull out my wallet and make further purchases of character and bank slots, since not only am I annoyed about that, I also know I won’t be playing much longer because of it.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Thrombus.1796

Thrombus.1796

I’m with you! I’ll just ignore the Ascended gear and play the way I have since launch. I’ll let it slide, so as long as this doesn’t become WoW 2.0. I’ll wait and see how this slippery slope argument holds out, then if it turns out that GW2 is going down a despicable path then and only then will I jump on the quitting bandwagon. It’s still too early to tell in my opinion. ArenaNet has the opportunity to turn this situation around.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: AveryFarman.2973

AveryFarman.2973

I’m ignoring it as well, as it truly violates what ArenaNet told the general public about how they “didnt write grindy games” and how they didn’t see us spending “our endgame in dungeons.” Fractals directly contradicts those quotes, and those quotes were selling points for me. I’ve gone through the “endgame dance”, or lack thereof, in at least half a dozen other games. I was in the process of doing so, yet again, for Rift when I moved to this game.

ArenaNet basically just pulled a “bait and switch”, and I’m still trying to figure out why.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

That’s about the most silly reductionism I’ve encountered yet on this issue. No, people aren’t mad at lines of code.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

ArenaNet basically just pulled a “bait and switch”, and I’m still trying to figure out why.

I don’t think it was ANet directly. NCSoft is the problem. They have a looooong history of pulling bait and switch marketing. Aion was the most recent example before GW2.

Stuff goes here.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: LOCO.1785

LOCO.1785

Too much grind for little reward. No thanks.

This patch destroyed the game’s 2 biggest selling points:

1. No grind
2. Horizontal progression

Why they did a 180 on their original philosophy I will never understand.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Denim Samurai.2379

Denim Samurai.2379

Eh, I’ve been doing the fractals and using the rings I got from them and upgraded them with the infusions you buy with fractal currency but I ain’t buying the backpacks. In fact, I have been selling all the mats for the backpacks I had lying around because the prices are so dang high. Maybe in a month or two I might care enough for the backpack but right now, meh.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I’m not worrying about Ascended items either until I start fractals. As it is, we can only equip 3 ascended items, one which involves INSANE amounts of grind! (Quiver..).

The difference at the second is very minimal. I am not worrying.

The only item I care about right now is the Quiver because kitten I want a quiver!

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Astra.1398

Astra.1398

Ignoring Ascended Tier

plasmacutter.2709

ou have to remember that there are people in the game that do enjoy the challenge of the Fractals, and do deserve better gear for their progress.

No, they don’t deserve “better gear”, they deserve unique skins to act as a badge of honor, but in a game that should be horizontal progression they don’t deserve to have an advantage over players who don’t care for that set of dungeons.

Anyone who thinks they deserve better anything for doing their preferred aspect of a game so they can lord it over other people and depends upon that for “fun” has some real psychological issues.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Astra.1398

You are only looking at it from your perspective. Everyone that spends time, whether it be crafting, farming or whatever deserves the same as everyone else. If you think you are so “special” and want the game to cater to you, I propose you get wallet out and start spending because if I don’t have a way to get gear, I am not supporting the game. I will play for free when I want and I have already opened up my old accts on wow and rift. I don’t have to play this game and I sure as hell won’t support it. Let the dungeoner’s support it.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

plasmacutter.2709

You are only looking at it from your perspective. Everyone that spends time, whether it be crafting, farming or whatever deserves the same as everyone else. If you think you are so “special” and want the game to cater to you, I propose you get wallet out and start spending because if I don’t have a way to get gear, I am not supporting the game. I will play for free when I want and I have already opened up my old accts on wow and rift. I don’t have to play this game and I sure as hell won’t support it. Let the dungeoner’s support it.

Do as you please. There are hundreds of current titles that cater to people who want to be hamsters and are looking for arbitrary criteria to scoff at and bully people. This is supposed to be the one title which does not do this.

It’s been stated over and over in the dev’s own blogs.

I find it ironic that you accuse those of us who bought the game expecting to receive what was advertised as “wanting to be catered to” when you are the one demanding the continuation of something which runs counter to the design philosophy reiterated continuously by the devs for years, and which is visibly breaking the game not 2 weeks after release.

(edited by plasmacutter.2709)

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Astra.1398

Sorry, Plasma was replying to Snype Cyclos not sure why it can out under your post.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Astra.1398

Btw. I was playing no other games until GW2 decided to change to vertical progression.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

I went into the swampland fractal solo for 5 hours to get the vial of essence. I refuse to do any other fractals. I know I will get curb stomped in wvwvw once others get their uber gear, but by then I will have either quit or the items will be available in pve or wvwvw. I hate silly dungeons with a passion.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Ignoring Ascended Tier

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

Why should one playstyle get 20-50% higher stats? Lol @ we don’t have to get it. Personally, with 20-50% lower stats, I won’t enjoy getting curb stomped by grinding experts in wvwvw.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.