In my opinion, Cultural armor is too expensive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Tier one costs 2g and tier two around 7g, so 100g for the last is a hefty jump, should be 15-20g to keep it in line with the rest imo. Considering that by the time you’ll have 100 gold you’ll be using exotic armor and a rare set would be quite useless for anything but looks it should be made cheaper or upgraded to exotic quality so it’s not just good for transmutation.

Posted by: Entity.3408

Entity.3408

It’s intentionally for looks. Maybe they should just do away with the stats.

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

It’s a gold sink, pure and simple. If you like the look of the gear then slowly save up money for each piece and transmute it to the stats you want and need. SLOWLY.

The thing being is that eventually gold in this game will mean literally nothing to you.
Once you have your stat gear the only thing that will matter is…. looks. Except for Travel, repairs, and WvWvW the only thing you will have to pay for is….. LOOKS.

If you like the look of the T3 gear (which for me is heavy and I hate the look of it so I won’t buy it ever) then slowly work for it. It’s an achievement (which again I have no clue what the points will be used for if anything so again it’s just meaningless numbers right now) so once you get it you will get an achievement for owning it.

It’s something that could take you a year to earn if you are casual or for some it could take weeks or months.

It’s neither here nor there to get upset about it as the stats are pointless on it. If you want it then slowly work toward it. It’s a carrot on a long long stick.

+1 minus the carrot on a long long stick. That would be if there was some random variable like a dice roll chance for something you need to drop. This is a straight forward goal that is static and the road to achieve it is VERY clear

The carrot on a stick analogy is not used to describe a chance but rather that when you finally get to the carrot the stick is pulled away from you just when you’re about to bite. In mmo context this is used to describe tiered gear being made obsolete when the next raid cluster goes live because you’ll need to get that next gear set to be able to do that new raid more easily and is a hard requirement for the next raid.
This doesn’t apply to cultural armour in any way, granted it’s tiered, but it’s not needed to do anything nor will it become obsolete when they ever decide to add t4, 5 etc.
It’s all down to personal cosmetic taste so a new tier doesn’ t mean you’ll also like the looks of it and want to collect it.
But I agree with you that I don’t see how the carrot on a stick analogy applies here at all

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

Ok folks if you don’t like the carrot on the stick comment it’s meant for a captivation for a long drive.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

Ya i think for a non-exotic semi ok skin most the time it is too expensive

Posted by: Stratzvyda.3921

Stratzvyda.3921

The price of them isn’t so much an issue, but forcing us to use six fine transmutation stones to use it usable really grinds my gears. Make it like the HoM rewards, an appliable skin

Posted by: Shadey.2180

Shadey.2180

The price of them isn’t so much an issue, but forcing us to use six fine transmutation stones to use it usable really grinds my gears. Make it like the HoM rewards, an appliable skin

Agreed, then dont do it

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

Why are so many people coming in to say an entirely optional item which gives no advantage and is purely cosmetic is too expensive?

If you don’t think it’s worth buying then don’t buy it. Why are you trying to haggle, this isn’t a market stall.

It then becomes more of a status symbol for the people who do buy it.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Posted by: Joshewwah.2956

Joshewwah.2956

OP is too stubborn to know that you CAN TRANSMUTATE IT.

Posted by: Faux Sheaux.6179

Faux Sheaux.6179

Not too expensive… Play the game and it’ll come to you. Yes it’ll take time. If you want to make the money playing the TP, power to you. I make 10g/day off TP and know plenty of others who do the same. Understandably, that’s not for everyone though. You don’t need to play any way you don’t want to, but it will take time regardless of which path you take. They should stay expensive.

Ehmry Bay – Grindhouse Gaming [GH]
Menorah | Charr Cat | Some Cat Thing
Still running my old RRR build because why not

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I’m extremely dissapointed with my asura’s t3 cultural armor, why would I want to be a Zojja-look-alike?

Posted by: ounkeo.9138

ounkeo.9138

There were no equivalent sets in the first game. Equivalent sets in the first game would have had the price of 15k armor but the stats of level 18 gear.

There was no transmutation the original guildwars so any expensive gear bought would have to be at the max level.

People complaining about price should all be shot

Seriously now guys, if you think its too overpriced then the value you put on the look might me too low, not everyone has your view. People buy it because they want the look, even if they themselves might think its overpriced.

IF ITS TOO EXPENSIVE DONT BUY IT

The real problem here is that Gold has a real exchange rate with RL dollars; making the T3 costs 120G look ridiculous, particularly for a new game. It costs $450-$500 real money in exchange. It’s value isn’t at all related to what is offered. That changes the meaning completely once real money enters into it. Every gold you earn is actually you earning real currency; no longer just virtual. It’s value is real.

When you put that into context, it’s highly overpriced for what it is and what is offered. I’d rather pay $15 a month and pay for T3 with karma. It’s value, even as -especially as- a cosmetic item, is very poor.

If they had made t3 cultural a karma bought set at double the cost of the karma vendor exotics, you wouldn’t see people complaining – because karma has no dollar value hence people aren’t going to feel like a used car salesman just bent them over a hood and work them hard from behind.

Some people like me will still get it. I’m 2 pieces from complete but that doesn’t mean I think it’s a good value. It’s exceptionally poor value. I have no problem with $200 haircuts or $3000 camera or $100 t-shirts; but I have real problems with $500 virtual goods. It’s kitten poor value -again- and is nothing like buying Prada in real life.

If they are going to charge $500 real life dollars for a virtual good, it had better be designed by Christian Dior or officially branded by a real life equivilent.

Posted by: Vzur.7123

Vzur.7123

yes its 119g but whats the fun when everyones running around with it? Not everyone will have it.

I like when people look different, because everyone has different personal preferences. Not because of haves and have nots.

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

It’d be fine with me giving it exotic stats, but it honestly just 100% doesn’t matter.

If you’re buying this expensive stuff, you’ve long since geared your character in full exotic gear with the exact stat setup you prefer. It just doesn’t matter.

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

I agree. When the TP was new and I made 20 gold my first week of it opening to the public I would have laughed.

Now that the profit for buying and selling has equalized… yeah, it’s a bit too expensive. Really, cultural armor should be the first armor a person obtains and transmutes, then they can replace that with dungeon bought gear.

I think it is a little backwards to expect players to first deck themselves out in dungeon gear then move to their races cultural gear.

As for restricting the armor so it “means” something, that is what we have Legendaries for.

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

change it from rare to exotic.
that should justify the outrageous cost some what.

after all, fissure of woe armor in the original guild wars released in 2005 had max stats.

Posted by: Rizzy.8293

Rizzy.8293

In my opinion if Cultural exotics were cheap every tom kitten and harry would have it and ruin the prestige of owning one

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

In my opinion if Cultural exotics were cheap every tom kitten and harry would have it and ruin the prestige of owning one

it still costs 119g for a full set.

so u r saying every tom kitten and harry would have 119g?

Posted by: Saint.4952

Saint.4952

I actually think the price is fine as it is. However, I’m definitely of the opinion that the set should at least be exotic. It just seems kind of odd that it isn’t.

Posted by: sixfeetunder.6508

sixfeetunder.6508

gear period is lame..gotta grind out points hours on end to get 1 freaking peice.._=boring.

Whats realy sad in mmos period is they have no concept of effort verse reward.

seems like they dont care and put everything on the ledge for those that have the points to get it.

Rizzy.8293

it still costs 119g for a full set.

so u r saying every tom kitten and harry would have 119g?

If every tom kitten and harry had 119g, it should be 400gs at least!

Posted by: Star Scythe.3748

Star Scythe.3748

1. By the time I can afford cultural armor and buy it I think my journey through this game will be almost over (unless they release an expansion), so why do I wanna blow that much gold on something I’m hardly going to see after I buy it? IMO…I’d rather be able to obtain the look I want and then spend most of my journey in this game in the look I want instead of spending my journey trying to get the look I want.

2. If it becomes the pinnacle of richness, then everyone is going to buy it just for the prestige…so its not going to be unique just like FoW armor from GW1 became so common there was no point buying it for a unique look. Is ANet saying cultural armor is a status symbol?

The illusion shatters in front of you.

Rizzy.8293

1. By the time I can afford cultural armor and buy it I think my journey through this game will be almost over (unless they release an expansion), so why do I wanna blow that much gold on something I’m hardly going to see after I buy it? IMO…I’d rather be able to obtain the look I want and then spend most of my journey in this game in the look I want instead of spending my journey trying to get the look I want.

2. If it becomes the pinnacle of richness, then everyone is going to buy it just for the prestige…so its not going to be unique just like FoW armor from GW1 became so common there was no point buying it for a unique look. Is ANet saying cultural armor is a status symbol?

1) Was this your reaction to new Elite Armour from Guildwars when they made the expansion, "But I want my elite canthan armour now!1! ". If you want the looks, spend money on it, work for the money, just because its a video game doesn’t mean you get everything handed to you, hell thats how real life works too!

2) FoW armour still to this day is a symbol of prestige even if its common, it meant something, You had the money to buy it or you had the skills to earn it.
Whats the point of lowering the cost for Cultural Armour and making it easily attainable?

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

I don’t mind hard work, but I thought before GW2 was released the hype was that gear would be a reward from running dungeons. Not grinding for gold, but doing the dungeons. I know they have the token system for stat gear, but I was under the impression that appearance gear was going to be earned through dungeon runs.

Posted by: Xasapis.9237

Xasapis.9237

For a game that is all about collecting armor looks, it sure is weird that it doesn’t feature a cosmetic armor slot. You can’t put any armor in the town clothes slot, so that’s useless.

Basically for every armor piece that you like the look you need an extra armor piece to “destroy” in order to maintain both looks and utility.

As things are, the armor does not cost only the vendor amount, but has a hidden cost of the extra armor that needs to be destroyed in transmogrification.

TBH on Gunnar’s Hold