In my opinion, Magic find needs to go

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Prove performance is hindered.

Nearly all MF gear is offensive. It sacrifices defensive traits.

It sacrifices its primary trait (offensive or defensive) to magic find, and keeps the secondary offensive benefits.

Someone in Explorer’s gear has exactly the same offensive bonuses as someone in Knight’s gear — a tank. Nobody buys Knight’s gear because they want to maximize their offensive power.

Explorers vs Berserkers = Berserkers adds more DPS (MF vs +Critical Damage)

Explorers vs Knights = Knights adds more Defense (MF vs Toughness)

You need to only know this.

Yes, Magic Find is uselessly selfish.

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

Posted by: bluewanders.5297

bluewanders.5297

In my parties, people can wear what they want to wear. I don’t give two kitten tails what that gear is, what level it is, or what quality it is… as long as they can do their job.

People who want gear checking and forced builds are the absolute dreg of the player base. They aren’t welcome in my parties…

Because… even worse to me than a bad player is a player with a bad attitude… if you act like a jerk in a run with me you get booted. Doesn’t matter how awesome your stats are.

I can teach a bad player to be better as long as they are willing to learn… but a bad attitude has no cure I’m interested in chasing.

Magic find is fine the way it is… it is one of the choices a player gets to make about how he wants to play… and I love freedom of choice… I strongly dislike people who want to take choices away from others or treat them poorly.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Magic Find on gear is completely pointless and redundant. You could provide the effects of Magic Find through game mechanics instead.

1) Every dynamic event completed gives you a X% magic find buff for 30 minutes. Stacks up to 200% maximum.

Gold medal = 20% MF
Silver medal = 10% MF
Bronze medal = 5% MF

1) Fractal of the Mist Time Trial
Complete a fractal in a certain amount of time and receive a magic find buff for 30 minutes. Stacks up to 200% maximum.

Gold medal = 20% MF
Silver medal = 10% MF
Bronze medal = 5% MF

Posted by: Silentsins.3726

Silentsins.3726

The loss may be nearly neglible for some but there is a loss of something. Whether this is eclipsed by player skill has no bearing on the actual minus. It exists. Does it matter? Perhaps not, but this really shouldn’t be the argument anyway.

Sure, it matters. It demonstrates that the people in this thread are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The MF mechanic is ridiculous to me for entirely different reasons. If it never existed would people be clamoring for it?

So, you turn to attacking the principal of the thing after failing to show that the thing itself is detrimental. That’s a failure to make your point.

Those that understand the game know that both MF and the stats that you would use if you didn’t have the MF both make a small difference either way. Diminishing returns on stats ensures that, as does the way that MF ACTUALLY works. Why is it such a big issue to the people who are asking for it’s removal in this thread? Is there a more compelling argument than “because it bugs me” or “would people notice if it was gone”?

Calae.1738

You don’t have to argue or prove the magic find stat is detrimental. The stat itself shows the lack of creativity of the game designers. Magic find can be implemented in so many clever ways that provides incentives for people to participate in certain activites.

Instead we’re carrying it around like a freakin purse. How innovative is that?

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I have MP + up to 25 stacks per kill, on my short bow. And can kill many enemies at level 80 by myself by bleeding/poisoning and healing on every time i damage the enemy. I just run around mob attacking them.

Silentsins.3726

You don’t have to argue or prove the magic find stat is detrimental. The stat itself shows the lack of creativity of the game designers. Magic find can be implemented in so many clever ways that provides incentives for people to participate in certain activites.

I guess that’s important in some sort of high-minded, abstract way, but still, it hurts you how? First time I’ve ever engaged in one of these threads, but I’m genuinely curious at this point: why are people getting worked up enough to complain about something so trivial, when there’s things in the game that are genuinely broken? Why, after the actual mechanics have been broken down, do people persist in starting these threads? It seems like you all are rubbed raw by it… just because.

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

What are you talking about? I wear it because i have to to get maximum drops?

It doesn’t maximize the quantity of loot but the rarity. You equip MF to boost the chances of getting rarer loot.

I’m saying if everyones running around in magic find, you might as well just nullify it.

No for the reasons I kept giving in previous posts.

Heres a simple example, say minimum wage is 10 dollars, if i made a wish that minimum wage went changed to 40 dollars, eventually it would be the same as 10

Not the same. Your example only applies if drops rates were raised altogether without regard to MF. MF is like getting paid beyond minimum wage. Minimum wage is a government standard that is the minimum that workers can be paid. The drop rates the devs set are the minimum drop rates. MF gear boosts this. Wearing MF gear is optional just like it is optional to get paid more than minimum wage.

Just like your starting to see now, all the experinced players are running around in magic find, why not just up the droprates a bit and vito gear based magic find.

Everyone i know who is a experinced dedicated gw2 gamer runs magic find most of the time, if i dont use my magic find gear then i get less then everyone els does so i feal like i have to just to get the normal drops that all my skill equivelent counter-parts are.

Once again it boosts your chances at rarer loot and not the quantity. So you want MF gear to apply equally to everyone because you don’t like to wear it but want the advantages that it provides?

*EDIT to your “power gear” comparison power is not needed by every class, a class can do fine in the game with NO power gear, some builds use a lot of power some use non.

With magic find you want as much as possible no matter what class no matter what playstyle no matter what build.

Thats a poor comparison as you don’t NEED to HOARD AS MUCH POWER AS POSSIBLE to be succsessful ALSO PEOPLE DONT HOARD POWER AND NEGLECT ATTRIBUTES THAT THEY ACTUALLY NEED.

Power was just an example. It applies to any stats. Everyone is forced to increase damage so they can equally contribute. Why not just make damage percentage based rather than by stats? That is how I’m interpreting your statement.

A lot of people perform better with MF gear than those who are geared to the max. Currently nobody has shown what the overall difference is between those with MF and those without. For all we know, there may be a minimal difference that it doesn’t matter. It could also be the opposite.

When did i say it boosts the quantity? You’re trying to discredit me by making me look clueless, i know how mf works, i’ve been a serious gamer all 22 years of my life, i said to get maximum loot, which was a poor way to describe it but maximum doesn’t mean more, i should have said : To maximise my potential of getting the best loot

Calae.1738

I guess that’s important in some sort of high-minded, abstract way, but still, it hurts you how? First time I’ve ever engaged in one of these threads, but I’m genuinely curious at this point: why are people getting worked up enough to complain about something so trivial, when there’s things in the game that are genuinely broken? Why, after the actual mechanics have been broken down, do people persist in starting these threads? It seems like you all are rubbed raw by it… just because.

It’s not hurting me, I’m not angry over it. I’m questioning creative thinking. If designers don’t surround themselves with people who question them creatively then they’re just surrounded with people who say “yes sir” “right away sir” “no problem sir” just in fear of losing their jobs.

The end result is lazy and poor design.

Blissified.8369

The loss may be nearly neglible for some but there is a loss of something. Whether this is eclipsed by player skill has no bearing on the actual minus. It exists. Does it matter? Perhaps not, but this really shouldn’t be the argument anyway.

Sure, it matters. It demonstrates that the people in this thread are making a mountain out of a molehill.

The MF mechanic is ridiculous to me for entirely different reasons. If it never existed would people be clamoring for it?

So, you turn to attacking the principal of the thing after failing to show that the thing itself is detrimental. That’s a failure to make your point.

Those that understand the game know that both MF and the stats that you would use if you didn’t have the MF both make a small difference either way. Diminishing returns on stats ensures that, as does the way that MF ACTUALLY works. Why is it such a big issue to the people who are asking for it’s removal in this thread? Is there a more compelling argument than “because it bugs me” or “would people notice if it was gone”?

Im going to pick on this sentence you said in the post i quoted

“because it bugs me” or "would people notice if it was gone

`Are NOT reason why we want mf removed heres SOME REAL REASONS.

1) It reduces customization to only 2 attributes in an item (sometimes less depending on the armor)

2) Magic find doesn`t add anything to the game, its not fun, if their were others ways to increase magic find instead of having to get rid of the attributes which make your class different then others then i would be fine with it.

3) Magic find hinders you and your team, don`t say you do JUST as fine with magic find as you do without, yes perhaps your skilled enough that it doesn`t make much of a difference, but NO MATTER WHAT ITS HINDERING YOU AND YOUR TEAM *PLUS THE MAJORITY ARNT AS SKILLED AS YOU AND I AND THEY -DO- BRING THEIR TEAM DOWN WHEN THEY EQUIP ALL MF IN DUNGEONS.

4) I experince pugs that i enter in fractal of the mist (higher levels) who run in full magic find gear often sacraficing stats they need, that results in my having to resurect said player over and over and over. Not everyone is as skilled as you and i were they never get hit, or that they can somehow magicly overcome the plus crit damage loss
This happends all the time, and when a.net releases new and more challenging content in the future, these greedy magic find statters who DO down all the time will become more apparent, Right now your arguement is that since most of the content we have is easy magic find isnt a problem which is half true because lots of players unlike you and i do need that extra stat BUT THEY STILL USE MF GEAR

5) Magic find stat is the least creative stat in the game.

6) If Magic find is required to maximise your loot chances of drops, if you want to be creative and be non cookie cutter, you need to sacrafice the chance of getting good drops.

7) Its the only stat ON ARMOR that technically doesn`t even effect combat or ANY part of the game whatsoever, except increases your chances to get loot, WHY SHOULD THIS STAT BE ON ARMOR OTHER THEN BECAUSE OLDER GAMES HAD IT ON ARMOR

8)Magic find is being phased out of new games because game designers realize mf is is the opposite of inovative
examples of games getting rid of magic find:

Diablo 3
Path of the exile
World of Warcraft (The devs are looking into phasing it out just like how Diablo 3 is slowly phasing it out
Torchlite 2
Guilwars 1
————————————————————————————————————-

Just want to add that i know magic find doesn`t give you more loot, whoever is trying to imply that im clueless about how magic find works is just trying to make me look clueless so my points arn`t valid

Posted by: krieb.6039

krieb.6039

I agree. Magic find is not a stat that benefits group play.

Posted by: SemiProStump.1084

SemiProStump.1084

Why not just change MF to increased gold from monsters? With the exchange rates as they are from farmers and bots, it’s a pain to afford anything on TP. Before the “learn to farm” replies come in let me say this, I’m familiar with farming but MF is pretty much useless from what I see. Most of my gold, which isn’t much btw, comes from completing dungeons and selling excess mats I don’t use.

TLDR version: Change MF to GF to offset inflation on TP.

“The Pink Posse of WFD”
Guild: Waiting For Death
Server: Borlis Pass

Blissified.8369

To SemiProStump

Your kidding right? so your complaining about t.p prices (aka inflation) and you want to make mf to gf? That would make gold prices inflate WAY more then currently.I ts funny because your “fix” would make prices skyrocket even higher, since if mf went to gf, people who used gold find would be getting even more gold and getting less items which would make prices of everything sky rocket, which would then HEAVILY punish players without gold find even more then magic find does now.
( i dont think the prices are that bad, for most items)

To Thread readers (TL;DR version)

Changing mf to gf wouldn’t do anything. Think about it, also no most of the people who HAVE HUGE AMMOUNTS OF GOLD are using mf to find those “jackpot” exotic items.

But changing gf to mf wouldn’t do much, i dont understand how you can think thats a good idea.

My gripe with magic find is its a boring stat that discourages group play, and makes mediocre players turn into horrible players all just because they feal forced to use mf gear if they want to find good gear like the rest of the croud.

Magic find is bad because it doesn’t contribute anything productive except to make the person using it richer.

And its correct some people wont be hindered TOO much by replacing one stat with magic find, but dont tell me most average players will- out of the goodness of their heart not use magic find gear when they want gold and or items when they know they need all the stats they can do not hinder their team

Example: Little timmy keeps downing in Fractals lvl 12, hes an average player but he wants to make money quickly, little timmy keeps dieing over and over, going into downed state, we keep having to revive him, but since the rest of us are in a guild together and didn’t bring magic find sicne were getting to the harder levels of fractals, we manage to finish the fractals all while saving timmy from being downed.

Your gonna tell me timmy is going to never use his mf gear that he bought, even though he shouldn’t be using it but since most people (people like me and you) will carry him throughout the dungeon (or whatever were playing)
he has no reason to not continue using it.

Posted by: SkyFrog.9742

SkyFrog.9742

Well, i never used MF, but from what i hear, it’s kinda rewarding… but then again, i heard it from a couple of my friends

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

My friend and I both run durable warriors that use Magic find gear. We usually never die and still put out decent damage.

I fail to see how I hinder any group if I still do damage. It would be a hindrance to my group if I stood there and did nothing, or was just not there at all as I am contributing damage that they normally wouldn’t have had.

This game isn’t about how fast we can run dungeons, atleast it shouldn’t be. It isn’t about who has the highest DPS, either. Everyone is free to play their own way, discriminating against any specific player for playing something you see “unviable” is stupid and selfish. Every other person that plays this game has the same right to have fun in their way as you, stop acting like you are better than everyone else.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

Posted by: BUTTERBLUME.3217

BUTTERBLUME.3217

Item drops have to go.

Item drops promote players to not be their best they can be, hinder their teamates which is greedy and not cool, item drops needs to be gone from mmos, just make grind based with no item drops and it would be basicly the same thing as having item drops. Don’t think about it. I do not want to take the gold farm route, therefore no others players should be allowed to do so. I also hate spell check.

There are no drops ingame, so how could they remove them. We been playing the same game?
Have not found anything in months.

Silentsins.3726

Just want to add that i know magic find doesn`t give you more loot, whoever is trying to imply that im clueless about how magic find works is just trying to make me look clueless so my points arn`t valid

2-7 are pure opinion being passed off as fact. So, no. 1 is why the subject of “how much it effects things” came up. You said “it doesn’t matter”, because we both know how small the effect is. 8 is just equivocation. These might appear to be good reasons to you, but they’re pretty flimsy and overblown at close examination. Your emotional aversion to the mechanic is bigger than it’s impact. I guess my question is answered then: these threads are just forum winging.

(edited by Silentsins.3726)

Posted by: Gahzirra.8639

Gahzirra.8639

How do you not see the error in that statement regarding MF? The very nature of the stat is suboptimal versus one that will actually benefit the combat ability of your toon. So use of the stat=suboptimal=performance hindered.

I get your but we still complete the dungeon/skills make the player not the gear, but to sit there and be so obtuse to think that the same guy with “mad skillz” performance is not hindered wearing MF gear is just kitten

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

if they plan on removing it one would hope they’d adjust the drop rates to compensate. And when i say that i don’t mean in dungeons either. Open world drop rates have been abyssmal since they did some adjustments months ago.

So one could hope that if they remove the requirement to have a REALLY high mf to get anything that they will make it so drop rates return to what they were at launch and having a simple mf boost from food, banners, guild, store will be sufficient to increase the drop rates of rares all over.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Graill.8596

Graill.8596

Second that, magic find takes up a stat slot and adds to an already poor game mechanic base on RNG and DR, so, its garbage. Get rid of it.

There is no worse feeling than that during an argument, you realize you are wrong.

Posted by: Rustypipes.6238

Rustypipes.6238

Item drops have to go.

Item drops promote players to not be their best they can be, hinder their teamates which is greedy and not cool, item drops needs to be gone from mmos, just make grind based with no item drops and it would be basicly the same thing as having item drops. Don’t think about it. I do not want to take the gold farm route, therefore no others players should be allowed to do so. I also hate spell check.

haha +1 this.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Add MF to Mini Pets and Titles, Remove it from Armor simple..

Posted by: Xomic.5792

Xomic.5792

I don’t care all that much about MF, but I do wish Anet would stop encouraging farming. It’s the small things like how MF doesn’t function with chests, and rewards from big events are almost always poor that really frustrate me, much more than people with MF on their armor or whatever.

Posted by: Charming Rogue.8071

Charming Rogue.8071

I’ve been hating MF since day 1. They should remove it.

Desolation – EU – [KING] – Immortal Kingdom

Posted by: Nemui.6753

Nemui.6753

i’ve never used MF, i don’t like it personally, but i wouldn’t have a problem with it if they’d just make it a shared group stat already.

Posted by: Rezzet.3614

Rezzet.3614

Magic Find gear is a player’s choice no one is forced to use it and that is great, i use MF gear sometimes on teams with mf gear and we have NO problem at all with it we clear dungeons as good as if we had non magic find gear so those complaining about crippling the team members simply had lame players on their team the gear had nothing to do dungeons and such are designed to punish player’s errors if players choose to dive head in with a greatsword and take all hits without evading its not the MF gear’s fault its the player’s lack of skill. Magic find pretty much affects outside of dungeons and wvw performance depending on builds and not by much. if you hate MF so much dont use it but theres no reason to take it from everyone else because they earning better stuff for working hard and being skilled.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

How do you not see the error in that statement regarding MF? The very nature of the stat is suboptimal versus one that will actually benefit the combat ability of your toon. So use of the stat=suboptimal=performance hindered.

I get your but we still complete the dungeon/skills make the player not the gear, but to sit there and be so obtuse to think that the same guy with “mad skillz” performance is not hindered wearing MF gear is just kitten

Yes you will see a difference but will it provide a significant hindrance to you? That’s what I’m trying to get at. Nobody from either side of the issue has gone and done live tests of what the differences your attack is versus how much damage you receive. There could be a large impact or there cannot. We don’t know and can’t really make accurate claims towards one side versus the other.

I found that that there’s a 91 power difference between berserkers and explorers/knights. There’s a 315 toughness difference between knight and explorers/berserkers. This is just the armor alone and you only gain 18% MF with explorers. If you went with whatever armor is for your build and then used just ruins, the impact would be lessened.

Posted by: Kuju.2153

Kuju.2153

+1 for magic find only being on food, boosters, and banners. No reason what-so-ever for there to ever be a possible choice between stats that help your group/team and a single stat that helps yourself.

Posted by: Kanthor.2094

Kanthor.2094

I don’t understand the point of magic find replacing other stats. So if you wear a set of MF gear, you’ll get slightly more loot. You’ll also kill slightly slower than berserker gear, resulting in slightly less loot, making the whole thing pointless.

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

Um…. hmm. Okay I’ll give it a shot. I suppose you are saying change the drop rates to reflect some arbitrary amount of MF. I’m not going to go into the mechanics, I’m trying to keep it simple. So, for the sake of simplicity, let’s say we up the drop rates by oh… I dunno 10%? Okay, done. 10% greater likelyhood of magic gear dropping (of whatever level). Um, okay this is where this may get fuzzy for you – so right drop rate is now +10% BUT see now everyone puts their magic find gear back on and so they have the +10% across the board with everyone else AND the drop rate buff offered by their MF gear. You see, that’s why an across the board increase is just plain not an answer, however much they raise it, the entire point of MF gear is for the player to then raise their own personal chances above that of the standard, whatever that standard is. So yeah, a selling point this isn’t.

Also, I’m not seeing whatever you’re trying to say by claiming that not having MF gear would be “novel” among the genre. I really don’t know any other way to respond other than to say uh… it is not novel? At all? In no way what-so-ever? In support of that I offer you, well um… the majority of RPGs, MMOs, and uh MMORPGs, I guess?

If your issue is that you and your crew show up strapped to the nines to bring the pain on a dungeon or something and some PuG show’s up in his mediochre “… of the Traveller” set up (which I’m guessing may be the case) then, if you all feel like you are carrying them tell them to put on some better stuff or kitten off!

I don’t think you and whatever minority may share your feelings avoiding having to tell some PuG to get to steppin is a valid reason for such a change. Your argument for “novelty” just plain doesn’t exist and the notion of changing where the baseline drop percentage lies is logically faulty in it’s concept. In short, I don’t see one real reason for even requesting this change. Is there another reason driving your request that you didn’t want to elucidate on here maybe? Cause all that felt like a stretch to come up with a good reason, to say the least. The only one that barely made sense was people potentially not bringing their best to a group but there’s a real simple solution to that, expel them from the group if they won’t put on gear the group feels is appropriate. Pointing your finger at A-Net and saying ‘you need to erase this totally from the game’ seems to be a bit of an over reaction (at best).

Posted by: Alex.9268

Alex.9268

/Signed

Magic find is a frustrating greedy decision to make in a game that is supposed to be all about fun and cosmetic decisions where gear does not play a vital role.

Calae.1738

Some of the arguments here are quite comical. It’s funny to read arguments trying to make sense out of a stat that makes no sense.

I mean, don’t get me wrong, we understand the intent of the stat itself, it’s just that it’s a redundant design. It literally makes no sense to place magic find on gear. You can very easily and creatively place magic find ANYWHERE else other than gear and it’ll make more sense.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t understand the point of magic find replacing other stats. So if you wear a set of MF gear, you’ll get slightly more loot. You’ll also kill slightly slower than berserker gear, resulting in slightly less loot, making the whole thing pointless.

Better loot, not more. If the difference was one or two attacks, would it really matter?

Posted by: Mayam.8976

Mayam.8976

However, I would also like to make the point that a 30% bigger (or whatever) pile of magic gear isn’t gonna have anyone doing the back stroke through their vault full of gold a’ la Scrooge McDuck in this game the way it’s economy functions. Unless you can rake in a noticeably greater amount of Ectos and Ori or otherwise valuable mats or (good luck) noticeably more rares and exotics that may actually sell for a gold or two the cost / benefit of forsaking better gear and stats for a few more points of MF just isn’t worth it, at least in my humble opinion.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

People routinely complete content in this game with no gear on at all… there is very little of even marginal difficulty in the PVE part of this game.

Are you aware that there’re ppl who don’t do dungeons and even hate em because they’re “too hard”? And it’s not like there are few of them either. Only thing MF does is litters game’s stats table and confuses some ppl. It’s a junk.

I’m not sure we should be hand holding and dumbing things down for people that can’t work out 10 different stats… that’s the kind of thinking that got jersey shore on tv :\

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: Goldgenie.2974

Goldgenie.2974

I like crafting – a full MF suit allows me to collect significantly more orbs and ore – no-brainer when running around farming, dunno what the wiffle is all about.

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

We have a choice.

I said it.

You say having MF is greedy and not cool, but I think trying to force players who want MF to do away with and play the game you want it is not cool and selfish.

But isnt this a bit like the pot calling the kettle black. Think about it you pop into a dungeon with your mf gear. First your performance hinders your team and you get rewarded more for it than your team. This seems more selfish to me to be honest

Depends on the toon, if you’re running a glass canon (and some profs are more viable like ranger who can just sit out of the mobs max range a lot of the time with the +max range on long bow trait) the boost from toughness is useless and the only other option is Crit Damage and unless you’ve gone a build that’s focused on crits rather than power it’s not that significant an increase over time.

Ultimately the main factor of whether someone is a hindrance or not in a group is whether they can actually play or not. Armor stats don’t make up for player lack of skill. If the player knows what they are doing a fairly small decrease in combat stats isn’t really going to make a difference, granted going from pugs most of the time people have no clue what they are doing and that’s the problem.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

Posted by: HomicideSquirrel.1283

HomicideSquirrel.1283

Agreed. People with lots of magic find get carried by people with no magic find and get more rewards for it. Makes no sense.

Posted by: Zebransika.4527

Zebransika.4527

See, this is the funny thing: Even some of the arguments for magic find are basically saying that it is pointless. I mean, if lowering another stat doesn’t make a practical difference, then why not just increase the base drop rates and not have magic find at all? If you have to sacrifice another stat to have it, but no other stat would make a difference, what is the point of having to give up another stat for it?

There is a difference between 0% MF and 200% MF to a lot of people. I argue that it doesn’t matter because stats only do so much and the majority of how well you perform is based on your skill with your class.

This is the fundamental question I don’t get: What is particularly appealing about magic find over just having a higher base drop rate? So you can farm better than other people without magic find? If it is so useful for farming, won’t all of the farmers be using it anyway? I really don’t understand the love of this stat from any angle.

From a technical standpoint, there isn’t a difference. It’s people’s perception that matters. By equipping MF gear they feel like they’re improving their odds. Think of it like what superstitious people do with good luck charms. It’s probably not the best explanation but I can’t really think of a good way to explain it.

If I may add, not all loot is based off a drop rate of 1% or 0.5%. The majority of the posts on this forum seem to have to do with these numbers. Agreed, this is probably because these numbers are attributed to things that (most) players would like to see when they are looting, but people are forgetting (or not mentioning) that 100% magic find for example will increase the chances of seeing other not-quite-as-valuable, but still choice items. Also if MF was removed, and the drop rates for certain rare items was increased, there would still be a problem with people grinding out events and dungeons. I personally dont see the “grinding” part as an issue. People still grind dungeons in a more traditional fashion, by just plowing though it as fast as possible. As sad as it is, the game revolves around LOOT and the gold that is obtained from it. MF makes up a large portion of the GW2 economy (at least for the moment) because it enhances one’s ability to find better loot. Basically, Magic find is important for more than just “the best” items, removing it and balancing drop rates would do nothing to lower the incentive to stop grinding parts of events, and as much as people disagree it IS an important part of the economy.

Posted by: Zebransika.4527

Zebransika.4527

As mentioned before, not everyone with magic find is carried or hindered in any way. If a person is carried with magic find then it is much more likely than not because the player is insufficiently skilled. Likewise, A piece of armor that gives 3% magic find instead of another 150 of another stat would not be all that noticeable on a high leveled, skillful character. If anything, it presents a new challenge for those who can afford it and still manage to carry their party; and you can bet that a person who has the completion of a particular dungeon down to a science will hardly be hindered by a barely noticeable stat decrease.

Posted by: FateOmega.9601

FateOmega.9601

I have no idea what Anet is thinking when they included mf in a game like gw. This is one of the few points i hated about this game. My guild and i were incredulous when we first saw this stat. I thought i had left diablo behind. Heck, even diablo wanted to phase this out now.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

My opinion on MF: “MF gear is like a fly drawn to a BBQ area – the fly likes it but humans don’t.”

The concept may have been sound, but in reality due to the TP, DR, and RNG being constantly manipulated (i.e. “adjusted”) by ANet, it makes it worthless for the majority of titme – that is untill the humans leave the BBQ area.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

As mentioned before, not everyone with magic find is carried or hindered in any way. If a person is carried with magic find then it is much more likely than not because the player is insufficiently skilled. Likewise, A piece of armor that gives 3% magic find instead of another 150 of another stat would not be all that noticeable on a high leveled, skillful character. If anything, it presents a new challenge for those who can afford it and still manage to carry their party; and you can bet that a person who has the completion of a particular dungeon down to a science will hardly be hindered by a barely noticeable stat decrease.

It is fact with full magic find gear that you are sacrificing a third of your potential damage. If I knew some one was running full magic find in my fractal group. I’d kick them out in an instant.

Not fair to the other people that put in 100% whilst those who want to use farming gear only put in 66%. That is being carried in my books.

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

Magic find is an old mechanic that is not fun, but we feal its mandatory

Magic find, promotes players to not be their best they can be, hinder their teamates which is greedy and not cool, magic find needs to be gone from mmos, just make rng based with no magic find and it would be basicly the same thing as having magic find. Think about it.

Getting rid of magic find is innovative

How can you not agree? think of it having magic find really brings nothing to the table except pointless extra grind, if the loot tables are optimized for a no magic find game, players wouldnt notice a difference and we could focus more on having fun with the gear WE WANT instead of having to be underpowered in magic find gear which isnt fun.

Don’t say we have a choice

Remove MF, buff/fix drop rates. Everyone wins. MF is redundant, everyone can get lots of MF its not hard to get, it’s not very expensive, so why not just make that the standard and remove it completely?

I have a choice whether to use magic find or not. I’m sick of players like you that come along and try to influence Anet to take away that choice.. What right do you have to take away my choice to use magic find? None.. so get over it.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: deacis.5387

deacis.5387

It is fact with full magic find gear that you are sacrificing a third of your potential damage. If I knew some one was running full magic find in my fractal group. I’d kick them out in an instant.

Not fair to the other people that put in 100% whilst those who want to use farming gear only put in 66%. That is being carried in my books.

I completely agree. Joining a e.g. fractals team with MF gear simply is parasitic behavior, if not the whole team agrees on running MF. In the end 4 persons trade lowered team performance against nothing, while only a single person profits. Translates to: 5 people invest more time, so that 1 can reap the benefits. Yeah, sounds fair, right?

As I see things, MF is good for all the soloers out there, but when it comes to Coop, it is an entirely contra productive mechanic. GW2 PVE is about accomplishing things together? So whats the use of having MF instead of getting rid of it and adjusting drop rates for everyone instead?

Posted by: STOOOO.2681

STOOOO.2681

Farming anything is quite tedius in this game. Even with full mf gear on, I’ve always worn it pve-ing (fractals/dungeons/farming) etc. But my mate who always groups with me never has and has accumulated far much more wealth then i ever will. he has found loads of dyes while partying with me – which makes teaming up with me popular with him & it makes me sort of think – whats the point of MF!

Theres a bloke that appears now; carrying a sack and drops loot on his execution. he appeared while we were pve-ing. Me mate got good loot i got bad. whats that about all about?

Someone told me that you get diminishing returns if you camp a spot farming long periods of time, so i started rotating farm spots one every hour. but even then with full mf gear on all i notice is t6 rate of return not good but t5 quite good.
But then when you standin infront of the mystic forge having spent untold potent bloods for measley 15 powerful ones you think whats the ******** point!

I’m all for making it redundant.

Posted by: rickets.1386

rickets.1386

Remove MF, increase drop rate for everything as if everyone has 120% MF. Its a worthless mechanic.

rickets 80 elementalist
crickits 80 ranger
crickets 80 warrior – current main

Posted by: Mackdose.6504

Mackdose.6504

The idea that MF is a selfish stat is unfounded. Unless MF is being replaced by healing power or boon duration, all stats are inherently selfish.

Unless you’re about to argue that the minor loss of an offensive stat against a pool of 5 peoples’ offensive ability is suddenly a huge loss (it isn’t, do the math), you’ve got no ground to stand on.

You’re not “carrying” someone in MF gear any more than you’re “carrying” someone in rares.

“I didn’t buy into GW2 being the second coming of christ.
I just wanted a AAA MMO with no sub made by ArenaNet. And it’s awesome.”

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I totally agree that loot drop improvement would be better. Point is, MF gear is an illusionary mechanic that makes people believe they can get better gear than others – wake up people! This boat is over filling with like-minded people so the net result will NOT be better than without MF – remember, in ANet’s eyes, the economy cannot be broked by overuse of MF!

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Skolven.3417

Skolven.3417

Anet is giving players permission to let them make a little more money if you use proper gear, simple as that, and I like it.

Running on MF gear in dungeon is not selfish, its simply stupid. You’re not farming mobs and we barely know if it affect chest drop rates. Also, people already discourage others to run on MF gear in dungeon. So ’’MFing’’ should be considered PvE only, like many builds are used for Dungeon running, PvE, WvsW and PvP, simple as that.

If some folks are running dungeons with MF gear, its clearly that they havent understood that they shouldn’t or dont know how to play.

If you guys wish to be stickler against MF farmers, just equip your berserker gear and go dungeon running, nothing prevents you from doing so.
I like being buffed up in MF and go do some chain event questing with a random groups of folks and make 2-3g per hour if not more when I need to buy myself some costly items, simple as that.

Chest drops are simply insulting and inadequate regardless of MF and not offering enough variety of rewards and that is the Anet to fix this issues, not by fixing or removing MF.

(edited by Skolven.3417)